Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• wbild3wbild3 Member Posts: 1
    I have 97 ford powerstroke 7.3 Runs good until mil light comes on then it has no power.KoEo test shows codes po0476 and po0605
    Any one run into this and how to fix it. Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Thank You
    William S Smith
  • autry_fordautry_ford Member Posts: 9
    Problem solved for all interested. So far, so good - fingers crossed...

The problem with my truck seemed to be the EGR valve (exhaust gas recycler). I do not know why this wasn't found before. Anyway, the part was $350, labor $120 and with tax, etc. about $540. And of course the extended warranty people will not cover this - waste of money. Ford also claims that there are two temp sensors, one for EGR and one for coolant that work together and they appear to be going out. This change out will cost about $2100. Same story with extended warranty.

Ford says that if these go out, it will cause coolant to be leaked through exhaust and if not monitored, you can run low on coolant and damage engine. I'm not so sure that the EGR valve problem wasn't causing the temp sensors to give "off" readings. I don't plan on changing them until absolutely necessary.

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions...
  • nolowendpowernolowendpower Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F350 6.0 with 124,000 on it I have replaced the fuel injectors and I have no low end power. It runs great at high end. I can not pull a small hill with a 5th wheel 19 foot camper on behind and it I have a small incline no power to come up from a dead start, I was told by a ford dealer that my inter cooler seal was leaking and so was the turbo boot was leaking . Has anyone else had this problem with their foird? and if so what was the fix. Can not afford to trade it off, but I have been changing alot of things and have lots of people with ideas. The truck is piped and had a chip on it when I bought it I tool the chip off.
  • adhbadhb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 F30 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel, Replaced Cam sensor 3 times already, third time last week and still having problems. When starting first thing of a morning it will start and run fine until you leave the driveway and go about 1/4 of a mile and stop. When you give it the gas to take off you barely move and it is like the engine has shut off, but it is still running and then all of a sudden the truck will just take off like it was not getting any fuel and will blow out the black smoke. Has anyone had this problem, if so what did you do to fix the problem. Help!
  • crazydancrazydan Member Posts: 39
    no my truck isn,t running yet,i wish i was dead rather than go through this ford [non-permissible content removed],the ford,the tods auto cannot figure it out, it has rect my plans and has devistated me, i have a great hate for ford ,like iraq has for the states, i wish the ford motor company would die, etc, ive lost 20lbs, and have almost lost my mind over this stupid [non-permissible content removed]
  • astrogoatastrogoat Member Posts: 1
    cwo99:
    I have a similar problem with my 2000 F-250 7.3 diesel and have done all the same repairs. For the past month, I have been without a truck as it is sitting at the local truck shop (I am unwilling to take it to the dealer as they will charge far more). The mechanic working on it is an experienced mechanic with these Ford diesels. He has tried everything including replacing parts to try to get it to start. Mine didn't go like yours did, but will not start. When this all started, I got the water in fuel warning and a rough running engine. So I drained the fuel basket, waited a minute and started it again, and off it went. About a week later, I went for fuel and after filling, it started running rough, blowing white smoke (non-combusted fuel), so I drove a few blocks to the shop. They quick replaced the fuel filter, and again it ran fine. A week later, I was on my way to get hay, and it died 20 miles from home, so had to be towed back to the shop again. That was a Friday, and I have no way of knowing if the problems are related or just happen to be in need of attention, though the fuel filter didn't look that bad. After sitting for the weekend, it started fine for the mechanic and ran in his parking lot all day without quiting. The best part about the story is that the computer didn't show any faults until after the problem started. So, I took it home and about a week later, I was loading it with trash, had left it idle for a few minutes, and it started running rough and lost power (as it had each time). That time it died and would not start again. So, back on the tow truck and back to the shop. It has not run since and that was close to a month ago. The mechanic working on it believes that once Fords with these 7.3 litter diesel engines get this many miles on them (245,000 for mine), the heat from the engine damages the wiring harnesses so that they start to short out, making the problem very hard to solve, hence the $1,000 repair bills and no results. Given that my truck is a bit beat up, (it is a farm truck) it is not worth much more than $3,000.00. So, my final thought is, get rid of the 7.3 diesels before this happens and don't buy one with that many miles on it, and yes, I thought about getting ride of it last summer before something like this happened, and did I get to it? Obviously, no. It makes me wish I had kept my 1989 Chevy 2500. Plain old simple 350 engine with a Powerglide transmission, but is also had 250,000 miles on it...sigh....
    i would look at it if you are not to far away,my truck is still not running and i,m just ruined over it , its not so much that it died ,its how it croked, just sitting there running and then the dam thing never ran again, inedded it and it really let me down ,i will never for give ford for this, i hate the word ford period, i feel dead inside, every time i here the word ford.... crazydan@gmx.com
    sorry to hear that you got sucked into a 6lter you are in for big trouble sir,? any hope, no dam way....
  • mulescoutmulescout Member Posts: 7
    I do not know where you are at astrogoat and crazydan but I found 2 mechanics in my area (Dover, DE) that have delt with these similar problems and fixed them right the first time. One is a heavy equipment mechanic but does mainly Ford vehicles on the side as he has worked on the Ford Deisel for years also. The guy that told me of him said he had it to several dealers and shops and they never really fixed the loss of power and ever since he worked on it, the guy had 125000 miles on his truck, since the mechanic fixed it that guy now has over 300000 miles on his truck and hads never had a problem again but of course he only takes it to this mechanic for service regularly now also, he takes his truck to this guy and this guy only, I took mine to him and he fixed it in about 1.5 hours and has been fine ever since (total cost was just under $500 including parts). Around here, I found out many of the small shops that specialize in the Ford Diesels work together. if they have a problem they can not figure out, they get together and work it out, they keep notes on how it was acting before during and after and results for future refrences, they do this incase one of the others come up with the same problem later so they all learn from it. But this guy that works on them on the side charges a lot less per hour and seems to get them fixed right the first time so it really saves. He had one truck that sat at a local Ford dealer for over 3 months, they could not figure out the problem, he got the truck thru the owner, would not do it for the dealer as he did not want the dealer using his knowledge and work to claim they fixed it, he will not take any work subbed out from any Ford Dealer no matter what they offer and the local dealer offered him an extra $1000 over and above his normal bill to fix the same truck, and fixed it for the owner in apx 3 hours (total bill was $540 which included parts) and you know even though the Ford dealer did nothing to fix it, they still charged the guy over $2500 in labor for trouble shooting it. We have found out most dealers use guys fresh out of school which they can pay lower wages to for doing this work and those guys know nothing, it is all guess work for them. If you are near by, let me know and I will hook you up with this mechanic, he will pick up vehicles a lot of times within 250 miles radius but he does charge apx $1.75 per loaded mile to pick it up but that is far less that any tow truck service. Again, he is in Dover, DE so yahoo map the mileage and it might be an option for you, that guy is good and fast too, oh yea, he charges actual time, not Mitchells Guide times and he nomally is by far faster than book times.
  • mulescoutmulescout Member Posts: 7
    I forgot to mention, to anyone that reads this, do NOT bring a 6.0 diesel to him, he says they are the worst piece of crap out there and he will not touch them. He even went to additional schooling on them and after that, he said he would not wish that engine on no one, he says you would be better off using the old Chevy diesl from back in the 80's, which was a converted olds 350 then you would with the ford 6.0. I found that out while standing there one day as a guy brought one in, he told the guy right up front he would not work on it as he did not want to have to charge all the extra money for lifting the cab and removing the engine. That guy said to him, well I will quit bring my other 3 trucks to you, he said, well you have been a good customer and I hate to loose you but, SeeYa, a threat like that, you are no longer a customer of mine, then he said Have a Nice Day. You should not piss off the only mechanic that has kept your trucks in perfect running order for hundreds of thousands of miles. So I never even mentioned I have a truck with a 6.0 with an oil leak around the pan.
  • marshduckmarshduck Member Posts: 3
    I posted in Jan. about my 96 power stroke getting around 12 mpg. Still have no answers. One thing I have noticed when driving is the truck feels like it is braking when I let off the gas (diesel) pedal. The truck slows down rather quickly, doesnt seem like the truck should slow down that fast with 33 inch tires. Thinking maybe torque converter or trany. Any info would be great.
  • burdgesfburdgesf Member Posts: 3
    same happened to me it was the fuel sensor
  • burdgesfburdgesf Member Posts: 3
    truck starts fine, after driving several min. service eng light comes on, engine runs rough (skips) then light goes out and engine runs fine. this only happens in the morning after truck has sat all night.
  • miniboyminiboy Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Ford F-550 with a melted piston and busted connecting rod at 40,435 miles. Ford will do nothing .. dealer is willing to split the cost of a new engine with me ( $7,500.00 my share ) .. seems as the truck manufacturer should be taking better care of their customers, as well as dealers, than that ???

Any news on a class action suit ??? The Customers who want to continue to buy American vehicles are really getting railroaded here ?!?!?!

Thoughts .. Opinions ....

Russ
    Webster, MA
  • ktg95ktg95 Member Posts: 1
    have 99 f250 keep getting fuel in water have changed injector cups and o-rings but problem persists any suggestions would be helpful
    tell the dealer , go ffff your self, thos motors are junk and ford knows that they desirve to go broke they are liable 100 per cent those junk motors,,we are just puppets to those bast, don,t take the deal they will have to pay everything, im angry about this bull ford u suck up all our money for nothing,,,hang in there bud,,,,,,,thankyou for this story crazydan
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This is why Ford and International have parted ways... they were suing each other over warranty repairs and backing out of contracts. The Ford-built 6.7L Scorpion V-8 diesel should appear in time for the Jan 1 2010 emissions regs.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    Hi Dan:

I hear ya barkin' !!! BUT, I have been around and around with the dealer, AND FoMoCo .. to no avail! The truck is a trash truck, it was towed to the dealer on March 20, '09, it is now almost April 20, and it's still sitting there with no engine, and we NEED the truck. The Dealer has been good to us, but they are getting "Stroked" by Ford. We'll take the hit on this one, but you can bet your butt it will be the LAST ford we ever own !!! We are discussing ordering 2 Dodge 5500's / Cummins / Aisin 6 spd. Auto Trans .. very good track record on these to as much as 210,000 Miles, as far as I have been able to research in the past two days.

Edit ...

Now I just found where an old lawsuit is perhaps going to be re-opened .. gonna check with the Massachusetts District Attorney about this on Monday .. it seem as though SOMEBODY should be able to shake this out ?!?! .. Click on "Link Title" below ...
    link title

Russ
  • azgreekazgreek Member Posts: 7
    My trans shifts hard to 2nd and 3rd almost takes your head off and l dontb think l am getting lockup in overdrive when releasing the accelarator it drops 500 rpm and when you mash it again it comes up 500rpm ??????????? HELP
  • retmanretman Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market for a used diesel F250 somewhere between '03 to '07. I'm seeing a lot of problems with head gasket / bolts. Are there any of these years that don't seem to have these issues?
  • imijimij Member Posts: 1
    wow. i thought i had scored a good deal on an 04 250 extended cab. now, frankly, i'm a bit freaked. i wish i had seen this site before i signed the deal. but it's good to know there's support out there for when i (inevitably, it seems) need it. so, anyone in southern new england interested in an 04 250 extended cab 6.0 powerstroke?
    Retman:

Unless you feel REAL LUCKY, I would go the Chev / GMC / Dodge route !!

You don't want to be in the situaton many of us are in .. BELIEVE ME !!

Russ
    Azgreek ....

Our OTHER Ford is an '02 F-350, 7.3 L, and it had one of MANY bad auto trans .. was replaced under warrany though ..

Your 1995 machine is beyond warranty, unfortunately.

Russ
  • larryhydrauliclarryhydraulic Member Posts: 4
    Any ideas? Got an 04 350 with 6.0. Started running terrible in January. So far we have replaced fuel module on frame and injectors, dissasembled the turbo to check variable vanes and cleaned the egr system (per Ford mechanic recomendation). It will run fine for a day or so then starts to skip badly. Will show cylinder contribution problems with random cylinders. Can be one or more at a time. If you hold it at about 3000 rpm for a minute or so it will straighten out and run fine. It may run fine for a day or longer then it starts all over again, Truck has 150,000 on it. It is driving us nuts. Many people have said it is likely the FICM module but why would it come and go? And why would holding it to the mat straighten it out?
  • autry_fordautry_ford Member Posts: 9
    Refer back to my original post #539 and what solved the problem #561

Basically what was found was a bad EGR valve (exhaust gas recycler).

Good Luck
    Well I guess we can change that too. It checks out ok in the scan tool tests. Truck doesn't smoke either. All I know is I wouldn't own one if they were giving them away! I have learned to hate Fords with this one. We have way more into this than you could sell the truck for.
  • retmanretman Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for being candid. I'm starting to see a pattern here and it aint good. I think I'm moving in the Dodge direction now. It's too bad. I've owned Ford trucks all my life and used them for my Const bus. I have a 74 Bronco restored and going into Bronco Driver Mag. I'm very disappointed. :(

Regards.
    oh man just to own one of these pieses of [non-permissible content removed] fords, there has to be something wrong are heads, its even worse than the little head thinking for the big head ,larry. me to i,ve totally gone fricken nuts over my problems with my two ford diesels,i,ve let the plates go expire, i,m so pissed off , i feeel like i,m working for the ford junk co, i,m not geiving a [non-permissible content removed] about much these days,when the truck died for no reason like they do ,even thow i,m a mechanic i can,t care enough about this stupid [non-permissible content removed] to care. anyways your pistons ar probley melted and its lost compression, piece of [non-permissible content removed], sorry bud,larry your playing with something that should be in the sand box,being pushed around by some overgrown kid its beyond repair people will learn i ownly hope , because i couldn,t afford this [non-permissible content removed] junk problems myself, larry
    I don't know how much you know about these but I can tell you we have a fleet of them where I work and they drive us nuts. I don't see the 6.4 engine being much better. We have had lots of low milage failures there too. Head gaskets etc. They are also a bear to work on. You have to pull the cab to get the engine out. We have had head gaskets fail, injectors, high pressure oil pumps, and I won't even talk about the trannys. I think the Cummins is a much better bet but I am afraid I am a real fan of the Duramax-Allison combo. O well some people just like the blue oval I guess. It's funny that International can put the same engine in a bigger truck and make it work.
    with ford and chev duramax your just beating your head against the wall,,so ive experienced and been advised for years,with towing trailers ,chevs are alright if you don,t pull anything or work them period,,,
  • levijlevij Member Posts: 7
    I have a 02 250, 4 door ford.with the 7.3 power stroke engine. The motor starts but
    loses power like not getting enough fuel. going up hill it dies.
    at a idle i run it up to 2000 rpm, and it losses rpms rungs rough.
    even changer the #8 injector at ford dealer. can not find the problem. Have spent over $1500. still not running. Any one have a answer.
    levij
    ok, it might be your gas pedal unit, if you knew how cheap the windings are inside this unit you would be sceptical,i had to replace mine at 303000 kms the board is as thick as an egg shell and the windings are as thick as the hairs on your head. unless youve already replaced it, it should be 40 to 60 dollars at the wreckers,don,t buy new because it might not be the problem, mine wouldn,t go ,it would just idle and then it,well i got it home, you don,t much warning. this module can make think of many other things wrong. your gas pedal is a drive by wire unit, not cable.crazydan@gmx.com
  • rancidrancid Member Posts: 9
    i just fixed the leak in the valve on the fuel filter housing, i found out that there is a bad design in it, they have a tube that gets plugged by the lever and when warn it will leak so i took a o-ring and put it in the lever and haven't had a problem yet, i was losing around 20Liters a tank if not more.
    i have a 1999 f250 7.3, i jus recently found my truck dead in the lane. i try to start it and the starter wont turn the truck over. it started fine on the weekend, i checked the fuses and everythings good. the starter was put on back in aug.
    1999 Ford F-250 - Owners Manual 1999 Ford F-250 - Owners Manual Grand_Cherokee Publish at Scribd or explore others: How-to-Guides & Manu automotive F250
  • fomocobrosfomocobros Member Posts: 3
    The truck is now running Rotella T and will be until i can sell it. There was more to my story than just the wiped off parts but that does make some sence. Although they told me that they pulled the parts off and then wiped them down. Not sure why they would wipe bent pushrods and bent valves off after the fact. But thanx for letting me know that there are others out there.

You can check out the whole story at MyFordProblems.com or at www.vaughnwyant.com ...but better hurry with the last one, i got a cease and desist letter so no telling how long it will stay up :)
    iv done some checks my mechanic told me to do but they didnt help any, its seems like what my old starter did, it started the truck quick for the first couple months but then went down hill and started drawing more power just to crank over til it finally died. atleast theres a lifetime warrenty on the starter
  • levijlevij Member Posts: 7
    GREAT-
    Thank you, I have taken this truck to every mecanic here. they could not fix.
    I changed the fuel petal it works thanks agin.
    Levi
    hi levi, im, glad you listened and took my advice,and that that was the problem sir, because its hard to diagnose the trouble sometimes and i thank you for letting me know that in its self is very considerate levi. im happy for you because ive been unsuccessfull in fixing my own one truck and its killing me, there is oh so much that one needs to know just to survive so keep truckin levi, the best for you too? buddy crazydan@gmx.com
    what controls the transmission shifting 4 speed auto w/overdrive? it takes my head off on 2nd and 3rd shift????
    my car use to do that till i changed the tranny fluid and filter, my 1999 f250 shifts hard once in awhile from 2nd to 3rd my be time i change the tranny fluid n filter
  • parranafishparranafish Member Posts: 3
    Life without my Superchip. I do miss the power and mileage but my truck transmission doesn't overheat anymore when pulling my 5th wheel.

Anyone using a superchip and pulling a trailer?

I just don't know if I should bother buying another.
  • powerstroker24powerstroker24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 ford f-350 powerstroke, its a pretty reliable vehicle with few problems but a few weeks ago it broke down. I replaced the fuel pump and oil filter. It starts right up with no problems but after driving it a little ways it dies out and won't start. Any ideas??
    how aout the fuel filter??
  • pissed73pissed73 Member Posts: 1
    I really hope someone can help. I have been looking on this forum and had no luck. I have a 95 F450 super duty with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel. Last week it started running rough and then on the way to a job it just died. I called Ford and they said to check the sensors that feed the IDM and make sure they were 5.2 volts with the key on. The only one that was ify was the pedal assy. So, I have replaced the pedal assy, fuel pump,cam sensor,MAP sensor. I checked the voltage to the injectors and they are all getting 2.5 volts. Ford said they should be getting 150volts. PLEASE HELP I'm running out of hair to pull out!!!!!!!
    Thanks Sean :
    i got a 99 f250 7.3 with 227000km on it and have not had any problems with the engine but i do go through alternators and starters, so far iv replaced em twice in 8months luckly under warrenty, im rough with the truck , i do take it off-road haul heavy loads but have yet to have a problem with the engine. i do know the ford lockers a junk, i gotta replace both of em cause the plastic peice in there broke and started making a grinding noise in the front end.
  • fords1fords1 Member Posts: 1
    Had this problem on my 99, 7.3L stroker, it was the injecter cups. Had to talk to about 30 mechanics to get it narrowed down to that, but had them replaced and it fixed the problem.
  • bradleyfarmsbradleyfarms Member Posts: 7
    I have the same problem and have posted on here a couple of times. Have had lots fo ideas but never a definite answer and anything. If you find anything out I would appreciate it if you could forward it to me too. Thanks, Kelly.
  • hanszalaskahanszalaska Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    We have a 96 F350 and live in Kodiak Alaska.
    Not getting much help from our local dealer either.
    Would like to just talk to your guy.
    Can you forward his contact into to us? hanszalaska@gmail.com
    Thanks.