Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• crazydancrazydan Member Posts: 39
    it could be that your solinoid that runs,well it turns the glow plugs on and off.also the glow plugs ,you could have a couple of them burned out,making it pernickety to start,if you own a ford in alaska,i feel sorry for you thirdly.
  • thornbargerthornbarger Member Posts: 1
    im having the same problem with my powerstroke
  • noeye1noeye1 Member Posts: 3
    Engine starts easy but runs rough on acceleration after about 1 minute, like misfire. Once at operating temp runs fine. Changed fuel filter and put in different brand of diesel and added injector cleaner. Did not help. Code reader shows no codes.
  • carriebrattoncarriebratton Member Posts: 3
    At 73000 miles, my husband's f250 powerstroke 6.0 diesel blew two pistons and lost compression. We were on our way home from SC to FL. We ended up stranded in SC for 3 days, we were lucky and made it to the ford dealership before ending up stranded in the middle of no where. The truck just went over the warranty, under the 100,000 but over the 5 years. This truck has been nothing but a problem since we bought it. First it was an oil leak, took to the dealer while under warranty twice. My husband said there was something wrong with the truck and wanted to get rid of it, but I knew he liked having the diesel for his landscaping business. Boy, I will listen to my husband's intuition in the future. The dealer infored us it would cost any where from 8-10,000 to fix this piece of s***. We contacted ford after reading about the many problems with the 6.0 engine. I am an active duty military member and have served my country for over 15 years. You would think that companies like ford who say they are there for their customers would do something to rectify this KNOWN problem. How can you knowingly allow this to happen and do absolutely nothing? I think it is time to find a lawyer and let ford know exactly how it feels to be stranded, and thank goodness my 3 children left with their grandmother. I just want compensated, so my husband can get a functioning truck to continue his landscaping business when I transfer to Camp Lejeune to take care of our Marines. Please post your feelings or problems and maybe ford needs a class action lawsuit to make them wake up and take care of their mistakes.
  • greentkgreentk Member Posts: 1
    I had the problem of when it rained the truck would buck or like a gas engine with a miss. After serching I found a broke vacuum line to my pulse vacuum hublock cylinder and fixed it and the problem seems to be gone. This vacuum line is on the passenger side connected to the cylinoid between the battery and the starter cylinoid on the wheel well wall.
    wow and holly [non-permissible content removed] when you drive some ford time bomb, i was offered a 6 liter and i declinedlast week the guy was really trying to sell it to me.i,m really loosing my shirt on these fords, i have a 7.3 powerstroke nobody has been able to fix in 5 months, i,ve taken it to many places,m,m,m,m, fords suck!fuel hogs tooo.
  • tabathatabatha Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Ford F350 with a 7.3 diesel in it and we absolutely love the truck!!!!! It is not a fuel hog, it gets great fuel mileage and that is pulling a 20 foot box trailer to different states and up and down mountains">!!!! The trucks are all on how they are taken care of on upkeep and such!!!! Sometimes people get bad ones, but I have alot of friends that have the 7.3 diesel ford trucks and they have no problems other than routine maintenance with their trucks! These trucks are great, I think you just need to find the right one that is all! There are good ones out there!
    how many miles is on this before i tell you the problem,whats it used for?
  • skip21skip21 Member Posts: 16
    will will pick my f250 super duty tomorrow.It has the streached head bolt problem.I fought with ford to no success.I made contac with a local ford diesel mech who has a shop and works on fords at home.In order to fix this he had to lift cab off frame.I left truck on wed 3pm and he finished it tonight.I went to summit auto race. parts.com and orded arp studs which he put in.He told me that I should never have this problem again.He also put in a new updated oil cooler also which I had heard that ford has a problem with the origional one.This cost me $2,500.Ford wanted 0ver $4,000.International has not changed the head bolts.The studes are toqured to 250 lbs and will hold 192,000 psi.You can get efery thing you need from summitt.I hope this helps some of you with this problem.
    If any of you with a 6.0 have a problem finding a mech to work on one close to NJ I have one in west creak NJ that just fixed mine.I just posted a message a while ago about this.My problem was the head bolts,which I had them replaced with studs and he said I should not have any more problems.There is also a problem with the factory oil cooler which has been redesigned which he replaced on mine also.skip21
    I am sorry for your problems, but i have been going through some what the same problem with ford.Look up my postings of tonight on this.If it is the same problem I had with mine my message might help you .skip21
    replace head bolts with studs.That is the problem with 6.0 6.4 engine.Bolts streach.Studs dont streach.Just had mine dine.Check my posting I posted tonight.Good luck
  • dave240dave240 Member Posts: 1
    fuel line collapse forward tank sucks air going up hill when low
  • urborgurborg Member Posts: 2
    carriebratt,
    First of all thank you for your service to our country. It is funny that I read your story. On Saturday May 13th we were driving our 2003 Excursion with a 6L diesel from Pittsburgh to Charlotte with 3 dogs and our 4 year old daughter. We have 100360 miles on the truck however the 5 years are up for the warranty. All of a sudden there was so much smoke behind the truck that you could not see the cars behind us. We were loosing power and we pulled in to a gas station in the middle of b-f nowhere WV and called a tow truck. Our truck was towed to a Ford place in Roanoke VA where a mechanic looked at the Excursion first thing Monday morning. We were told that we needed a new engine since there was diesel fuel in the oil pan. The problem was that the glow plug had broken off and punched a hole in the cylinder plus the engine must ave backfired and blown the fuel injector for that cylinder. We did a lot of research regarding the 6L engine and found a lot of problems with the 2003. My wife called Ford and was told "to bad for you, we can't help you" even though all the known problems and the fact that Ford sued International for the poor quality of the engine. I guess Ford does not care to keep our business.
  • onlyford1onlyford1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the very same problem with my 2000 Ford 250 7.3 liter truck. I let it warm up at least fifteen minutes before I take off. It still runs a little funny. Its currently my only transportation right now. If I find out the problem I will post it.
    I took it to the dealer. My problem was the injector wiring harness.
    It seems that some dumb-[non-permissible content removed] engineer placed the harness under the valve cover where it is hotter than 50 hells and the harness connector melts.
    This happens after about 100K miles (just after the warranty runs out). Apparently this is a common problem as there is a repair bulletin on it.

Cost to fix it was $620 including Tennessee tax. If you let go for to long it will damage the injector(s) at $400 each and maybe the control unit, cost unknown.
  • autry_fordautry_ford Member Posts: 9
    You should do more research. If I'm not mistaken, on some models not only was there a repair bulletin but also a recall notice. Mine was changed by the dealer at no cost...
  • ricker1ricker1 Member Posts: 9
    My name is Rick and i have the exact same problem as you You have discribed it perfectly I would love to talk with you to compare notes. I am wondering if this is a recall problem that they are not talking about. They call them silent recalles You may call me at 484-794-7776 anytime
    I have a 2003 6.0 350 that has started to run strange. when i first start it up it runs fine and then all of a sudden it jumps up in rpms and starts running slightly rough and then settels down agian and continues to do this for a while. I found that by turning it off and resarting it it will run ok for a few mins and then start running rough agian. It won't do this all the time but it is becoming worse. All so if you have it in gear it will shoot forward very quickly scaring the ________ out of you and causing you to stand on the brake to keep from luching forward into something or someone. Also it has started to buck while going down the rd. and blowing large amounts of black smoke untill you stomp on the gas and kick it down a gear then it cleans out and runs ok for a while before it starts to do this agian. It seems to do this intermitent and not steadly which makes me wonder if it is a electrical problem. Can anybody help me or give me a soluition to these proplems as i bought the truck used and it now has 125000 miles on it. Also the water in the fuel light comes on and off and the check engine light comes on and off once in a while but when you fuel up the truck they seem to go out for a while ??????????? You may call me if you wish at 484-794-7776
  • fastferryfastferry Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 f-350 the oil pan has a leak the dealer wants $3,000 dollars to replace pan. I live in New Jersey anyone have a shop that's reasonable...
    i have the same problem with my 2000 f-350 the dealer told me $3,000 to repair.
    any luck with your repair...
    i know a garage that changes those oil pans for 1,100 dollars,which seems like to much.oh well..
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    You have to remember when changing the Oil Pan on the 7.3 you just about have to pull the motor and / or tranny just to change it out. Anyway you look at it the Oil runs around 350 to 500 and labor to change it out can take someone up too 10 hours if they don't know what they are doing. So if someone can change it out to include the labor & Oil pan thats actually a good price.
    Please send me the shop name and number after getting a quote for $3000 from the ford dealer i will take $1,100... THANK YOU...
    Hey Dan,
    Not sure where you are at but in Colorado call Olde Town Auto at 720-242-9622 they are located off 38th & Harlin in Denver, Co.

T
  • mushpupmushpup Member Posts: 2
    hi tommy check the heater element in the bottom of fuel filter bowl could be shorting out mushpup
  • racer12racer12 Member Posts: 1
    i was driving down the road about 60 mph and my f350 just died no power

it wont even turn over

the dealer has replaced the computer twice and the turbo 3 times
    i wish ford made a good truck,i have 2 diesel suching buggers 1 1s7.3 1999 won,t run i,ve been trying to get running for 7months it ruened me financially and a 2002 7,3 that has never ran without trouble it wo.n,t start, so i,d like to get ford back for playing such a dirty trick by building this junk i,m waiting and waiting to devise a plan to try and set the ford motor co. back like they have planned our demise and future with there junk....6liter junk and 7.3 fuel hogs they are killers and thieves, keep building junk you dirty ford fags
    Okay Racer let see what we can do. What all have you checked and what all is installed on your trucks ( Power chips mainly ) ?

Cowboy
  • ebutenhoffebutenhoff Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying one with 111000 miles on it. Should I look at this or walk away, not sure, have heard things about the 6.0, but have also heard good about them tell me something
    My friend has a 2005 6.0. Has replaced the heads twice and the turbo once.
    Hes says it has less power than the 7.3 he had before. I don't recommend.

I have a 2001 7.3 with 110000 miles and very happy
  • urborgurborg Member Posts: 2
    Run don't walk. I have a 2003 Excursion with a 6L diesel. At 100613 miles Ilost one cylinder and the fuel injector to a faulty glow plug. I will cost me $12,000 to fix the problem. It is known that the International 6L engines had troubles between 2003 and 2005. Ford even sued International alleging poor quality control.
    Hey Hoff,
    Yes the 6.0 was not a good motor for Ford, but I have heard that the last couple of years of the motor was okay and my Nephew even has a 07 that has been good for him but the first couple years 03 n 04 where really bad. One thing they are not a motor that can have Chips put on them, well you can but a lot of them early ones again cause a lot of problems. Would I stay away from them completely yes and really stay away from the 03 to 05 models.
    To Racer who I replied to the other day having all the problems on his 7.3's. There is a lot of people on here that can help you if you just tell us what all is going on with your trucks in full detail but sometimes in the end we have to take our trucks to the dealer and trust me I hate it when I have to as well but every auto maker does the same thing and make it so that somethings on our trucks only a dealer can figure out. Dodge is the worst and my truck is at the dealer right now because I can't figure out whats wrong with it, not because I don't know how to work on them but because they hide codes on them. I know enough about electrical to chek a lot of things but I don't throw parts at something either just to keep from taking it a dealer as in the end when doing that you can spend more money than if you would have taken it to them in the first place. Anyway Racer just tell us your story and maybe we can help.

Cowboy
  • mulishamicmulishamic Member Posts: 2
    i own a 2000 f250 7.3 liter powerstroke and i had the oil changed at the dealer last week and they said one of the oil squirters had broken off. it came out of the oil pan. the mechanic said he had never seen this before and had no idea what would have caused this. anyone have any suggestions what would cause this i had a wreck ealier in the year and he said its a possibility.
  • koakleafkoakleaf Member Posts: 1
    my truck turns over but wont start.i have pressure at the fuel shrader valve and replaced the lift pump/crank/cam postion sensor/fuel hi pressure regulator and hi pressure lines.i can get it to start on starting fluid spray but it will not run after the spray is used up.what else is there that makes the direct injection work?
    You checked out all those parts and they was bad or did someone or you just start replacing parts on it ? All parts on any vehicle can be checked. Yes most of the time you have to get the Data Sheet from Ford which sometimes the dealer is not willing to let go but there is Alldatepro.com that a lot of them use and shops use. But unless you know for sure that is a part is bad do not just start replacing them.

Back to your problem you can have the ICP Sensor checked and the IPR Valve but usaually those have to be done at the Dealer to make sure they are bad. I have the Superchips programmer and it will also check the system and it actually picked up the ICP Sensor but I don't have the Date sheet to tell me the OHM's it's suppose to have so I had to take it to Ford Dealer. They are confirming it is bad but they said if they is Oil coming out of the top that is a good sign it's bad. The ICP is on the Drivers side Head, when looking at the motor from the front on the right side of the Fuel Bowl on the Head next to the Valve Cover the Sensor is set at an Angle. It's about 1 1/2 inch round and sticks up about 2 inches. The IPR Valve is on the Back side of the Fuel Bowl ( where the Filter sets in ) on the bottom and is about the same size as the ICP but a little longer with a Bolt looking end to it and come straight out the back of it pointing towards the back of the motor. Both parts you can see what they look like on Ebay as well.

Hope that helps your out but usually in the end you have to have the Dealer tell what is not making it run and then you can change out what is needed instead of just replacing things that are not bad.
    what ever you do stop useing either to try and start your truck this will do so much damage to your motor if you keep useing it .
  • levijlevij Member Posts: 7
  • 97dually97dually Member Posts: 1
    If I buy a 97 with 325K on the motor, does it have life left in it?
    Assuming the guy changed the oil, ran 65-70 on the interstate, and pulled a 10,000 lb. trailer.
    I can pick up the cosmetically clean dually, just wondering how many miles are left on the motor?
  • mulishamicmulishamic Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 f250 7.3 liter powerstroke and i had the oil changed at the dealer last week and they said one of the oil squirters that squirt the bottom of the pistons had broken off and fell out of the bottom off the oil pan. The mechanic said he had never seen this before and had no idea what would have caused this. Anyone have any ideas on what would have caused this, I had a wreck earlier in the year and he said its a possibility.
    based on the law of averages you got about 10'000 to 50'000 at best
  • pbates60pbates60 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, I have changed the fuel pump, the batteries, a couple of the sensors, It is driving me crazy, I read on here that if it has a chip in it this will do something to the motor, Man if anyone on here as any advice on what to do to get this thing to run, or had the same prob. please let me know. I am going to get it running and I am getting rid of it. any advice would help. thanks.
  • blankmanblankman Member Posts: 1
    Did you figure this out? I am having the same problem. Thanks!!
    we are so stupid for having fords my fords won,t run and i,m in trouble too ,my horse and i had to sleep in the park in london ontario, because the ford wouldn,t start or ever run again, garages can,t figure it out 500dollars later i am now riding a bicycle to get around because my truck was sitting warming up and died, for no apparent reason,,,diesel junk you know that you depend on making a living now what ford bastards
    i have not yet i'm hopeing that somebody writes to tell me what to do. I have heard from one person who said that they had a bad fuel sensor replaced and that solved their problem and that just sounds to easy but who knows. I have had so many people tell me that they have the same problem and i haven't heard of to many solutions. It has to be a electrical problem if it is intermittent because a mechanical problem would do it all the time. so far the only thing that iv'e learned is that it takes a lot of MONEY to just find the right problem. I hav't heard from anybody who has worked on these things a lot. I have heard that most dealers just want to change out parts to SEE IF that MIGHT be the problem. But if it is not they bill you anyway and go on to the next part that it might be. I think that what is happening is a very common thing with these engines and ford is sitting on it hoping that they won't have to have a recall. I think that they will do that at any cost. So many people have wrote me with the same problem its allmost scary. How do you expose Ford is the real question. I think that they are waiting it out in the hopes that as time goes on the problem will get smaller and smaller.
  • oneshareoneshare Member Posts: 1
    I too, have had many troubles with my F250 power stroke diesel. I purchased this vehicle new, and since then have had many problems. Most of the problems that I have had centers around the EGR valve plugging. Which come to find out is a symptom to a much larger problem. I took my truck into my ford dealership twice and forced them to look further....come to find out my heads were cracked. They replaced my heads, oil cooler and a number of other things. At that time, they assured me that the basic problems would be cured. Recently, I have had to take my pickup back in for the same problem again and this time they are claiming that the engine oil cooler is getting clogged and is causing excess nitrates to precipitate out in the antifreeze clogging the passages in the heat exchanger. They are checking on Monday to see if, ONCE AGAIN, if my heads are cracked. I am holding my breath and hoping that I caught it soon enough. I contacted the Ford company and have complained but they just kick me to the curb. This problem was identified within the first 10,000 miles but has never been addressed to solve the problem completely. I like you am considering a lawsuit and would be interested in working with other SCREWED customers to wake them up.

Sincerely

Jim
  • wyodutchwyodutch Member Posts: 1
    I was within a hair of buying a 2006 F350 diesel 4X4. After reading these horror stories, I cancelled the buy and will look instead for a late model Duramax.

Thanks all, for the very inciteful posts.
  • crowdogcrowdog Member Posts: 1
    im thinking about buying a 1997 short school bus with a powerstroke engine has about 116,000 miles, i was just wondering what to check for as far as problems go and is 1997 powerstroke as good as newer or older ford diesels?
  • mckenzie101mckenzie101 Member Posts: 12
    I was one that got a wild hair and bought a good used 2003 F-350 4x4(1st year they made the 6.0). I traded it at 91,000 miles for a Dodge 3500 Megacab. Man am I glad I did! The 6.7L Cummins Diesel is awesome. With the new emmisions particulate filter underneath it is as quiet as a Ford. I always hated the loud Dodge but now they are just as quiet. The new Dodge 4 door looks nice. The quad cab was a poor excuse for a four door but Megacab is huge. Good luck with the GM (Government Motors!) I know what you're thinking...Chrysler too. I got to give Ford credit for not taking the stimulus money.
  • mckenzie101mckenzie101 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 7.3 that I just recently rebuilt. It has 300K miles on it! Before rebuild we had to straight wire the electric fuel pump to the battery. We have it on a toggle switch for turing on & off. Can anyone tell me why I lost power to the fuel pump? I would like to fix this back right. Is it the wiring harness? Fuel pump Relay? Computer? Anyone know? :confuse: