Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• smithbrossmithbros Member Posts: 1
    You might want to replace the speed sensor found on the rear axel. Someone passed this information to me when I was having the same problem. Replaced the sensor and it took care of the problem.
  • bettyfaybettyfay Member Posts: 2
    my ford duallywill start and idle fine but wont go.It has new fuel pump and filter but it wont go past 2000 rpms any thoughts
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    What color is the Smoke coming out fo the Exhaust ?
  • bettyfaybettyfay Member Posts: 2
    It is white
  • coyboy1coyboy1 Member Posts: 1
    i rolled my 02 powerstroke over and i want to start it up . my question is , is there anything i have to drain or do before i try it. its been sitting for bout 6 months
  • majormcfmajormcf Member Posts: 20
    I agree, I have a 02 excursion, no problems, was looking to upgrade to an 06 dually but not sure after reading all these horror stories
  • crazydancrazydan Member Posts: 39
    change the gaspetal unit and it will run fine,what happens is the wires iniside wear and break, it,s a ford thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!crazydan ive bin there,,, thats why i,m broke,, and can,t even sell a ford,,there junk and they don,t drive, they sit and rot to hell..
  • levijlevij Member Posts: 7
    Thanks But I have already changed the fuel petal. Did not help.
    But now my insurance company is going after FORD. The 7.3 engine caught
    on fire while I was letting it idle, waiting for it to warm up. I no longer have the truck.
    My insurance company hired a profesinal to find out what happened. They said the
    Cruse control module caught fire. The fire department put the fire out in time, that
    the investagater could tell what happened. I am upside down on replaceing the truck
    I still owed on it. I am thinking about going after Ford also. I can not stand the loss
    of 6 Gran. I am now looking for a Chevy.
    thanks for your help.
    Levi
    I had to replace the high presure oil pump. This opens the fuel injectors.
    mine would bearly open. Now it works $975.00
    Hope the best for you
    Levi
  • jmandalejmandale Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my 7.3 liters powerstroke. For a short period of time( few driving hours) the bus is loosing 5 to 7 qts. of oil. There is almost no smoke from the exhaust, no oil in the radiator. Please help. Thank you, Joseph
  • raptureduderapturedude Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 6.0 deisel just started blowing white smoke at start up. Does anyone know what that might be and what I should do about it. It still runs good.
  • azgreekazgreek Member Posts: 7
    Pressure check your radiator when the engine is cold.Should hold 16 pounds for at least 15 or 20 minutes if not you could have a bad head gasket or cracked head
    I have been having to add water every few weeks for the last six months. I had just filled it yesterday, probably overfull, and it began smoking when I restarted it about an hour later. How do I know if the water leak is the heads? What else can I do?
    Thanks for your help, Nick.
  • spendit4mespendit4me Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Ford 650 with a powerstoke 6.0L engine. I have it in the shop every 6 weeks or so for a problem. To make it worse, the closest shop that can work on this truck is 150 miles away. The major problem seems to be the EGR valve. It goes bad causing antifreeze to come out the exhaust and smoke white. This morning I started the truck, left it to idle about 3 minutes. When I came back out of the house to leave, I heard it shut off as I walked across the yard. I got in, shut the key off, and tried to start it again. The wait to start light came on for 2 seconds (it usually runs at least 10 seconds even when it's already been running) and then it went out and the truck would not even turn over. I have contacted a dealership to find out if there is a specific fuse of if I'm stuck towing this truck (under warranty) back to the dealership at my expense (never was reimbursed for prior tows they promised to pay for). To say the least, I am disappointed. As soon as this truck goes out of warranty in 8 months, I will sell it for a loss (looks like about $20K in loss) and buy a GMC topkick to replace it. Did anyone ever bring that class action lawsuit? Because I am on board.
  • spendit4mespendit4me Member Posts: 2
    P.S. This truck only has around 40000 miles and has been to the shop about 6 times costing me several days of work and thousands of dollars in lost revenue in my small business.
  • carriebrattoncarriebratton Member Posts: 3
    Replying to your post about the6.0. My husband is dealing with a Ford Mistake as well. We have a 2003 6.0 powerstroke turbo diesel and at 75000 miles the engine blew. We are now trying to put a new engine in it. This truck has been a mistake since the day we bought it. I have tried several lawyers, and no one wants any part of it. It seems like nobody wants to take on Ford, even when Ford is to blame. Sorry about your situation.
  • chas1969chas1969 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 04 F350 Diesel and I hade problems with mine and white smoke. It turned out to be the seals in the turbo. It took the dealer along time and a bit of nagging on my end to get it fixed. Once they replaced the seals on the turbo no more problems. This occured at about 50,000 miles or so. It's been running well ever since. I hope that this may help you out. Good luck
    I have a 2004 6.0 that just past 100,000 miles. I just had my second EGR cooler replaced this past weekend. The first one was replaced by Ford under warranty at about 72,000 miles. The mechanic said using a programmer probably damaged the new one. It causes the exhaust gases that flow throught the cooler to be much hotter, he said, which causes the coolant part of the cooler to expand and leak. He just put a new EGR cooler in but he capped off the exhaust gas ports. He said I should never have this problem again. The first time it went bad it blew black smoke. This last time it blew white smoke and lost a large amount of coolant. The engine may not be starting because of vapor locking. Mine almost did but I got it started and made it to the shop. My truck seems fine now. I hope this helps.
  • crazydancrazydan Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2011
    sir i hope you have lotsof money to waste,because if you keep messing cwith fords like this ,you will ither go broke or waste all of your time fooling with this ****, i don,t care how many miles u have on your piece of junk ,you will have a heart attack or something, i have two fords, 7.3,s 2002 and they won,t run, they don,t even make good furniture, i fricken hate ford, when they ran ,i couldn,t sell them,i am so upset you wouldn,t believe it, how angry and dead inside i,m left. and broke fooling around with this ****,junk, if you are ready to die ,just keep fooling with ford, they got what they want sir.sorry for telling you the truth,danny thomas,6litre,s suck the big one,,,,,good luck sorry isn,t that what the dealership tells you?
    Hey Dan,
    Now I know I have asked you before if you had taken them to the dealer and at least let them tell you what wrong or if you keep just replacing parts on them thinking you know whats wrong with your 02's but you have never answered back. I don't know what they charge where you are but here in Colorado the local dealer charges me 109.00 to see what is wrong then I do the work. Now the current 01 I have has been a more of a pain then the other 6 -- 7.3's that I have had but I still love my Fords. If I remember right I even asked what your trucks where ( Lariats, XLT, 2 or 4 door, 4x4 ) and what color they are. Yes the color matters to me as I only buy Red. So to you and everyone else in here unless you know for 100% that a part is bad don't not replace it then get pissed because it didn't help it and even if you pay 150.00 to have the dealer tell you whats wrong at least you won't be trhowing money at it. Also most auto shops now with the Scanners they have will do the same as a dealer unless you have Dodge Hemi then they don't even know, lol.
    So Dan either take it the the dealer or give me the details on them and stop running your mouth please because I am starting the think you don't even own a Ford and you just like trashing Ford because they beat your Chevy's, lol.
  • shk516shk516 Member Posts: 2
    have a diesal runs on left bank,while running you disconnect 1,3,5,7 &no change,did inj buzz test no codes, checked high pressure pump 580 psi HELP
  • dbweaverdbweaver Member Posts: 88
    Cowboy9,
    I feel the same way about O'l crazydan. I think he owns a dodge though!!!
    :D
  • wconnellwconnell Member Posts: 1
    Runs great,will be going down the road with the crusie on,at 70mph it will die,service engine soon light comes on.I have changed the oil,, :confuse: :sick: :P :( the fuel filter fuel pump,cam sensor, droped tank and cleaned it,and had put it on a computer shows nothing.
    When it dies its like it isnt getting and fuel I can turn key off and back on it will run ok then.I am lost as what to try next has anyone else had this problem any input would be great!
    After being parked for over 8 mounts, I am back trying to get it running again.
    I have had it to the ford dealer 5 times. Replaced just about every thing, even
    #8 injector, valve cover gaskets, all sensors. fuel pump. sending unit in the tank.
    runs good for about 4 miles then acts like it is not getting enough of fuel.
    Now the overdrive light says off and I can not turn it back on. The only thing I have not changed is the high pressure oil pump. Do you think this will solve the problem
    or is it unfixable. The price books says the truck is worth $17,000.00 I owe nothing on the truck but have spent right at $4800.00 on repairs that only works for a short time. Can any one help
    2002 7.3 4 door Lariat 2WD 8' bed white truck
    Levi Justice
    ljustice62@aol.com
    How many miles are on this truck ? They are checking to make sure these things are bad before replacing them ? I told the dealer if it doesn't make it run right after replacing a part I am not paying for it and you or anyone else out there should pay for them to guess at it. Hell anyone can do that and most in here do.
    after ford works on it they say that part was bad and now the comp.says another part is bad. I do think they do not know how to fix it. I just do not understand why
    some one at ford can not come up with a answer. I would pay to fix their mistake,
    If I knew what it is.
    Levi
    Mine is doing the same thing and the dealer was trying the same thing until I told them if it doesn't fix it I wasn't paying for the part, they just left it sit there after that, lol. I am taking it down to another place that does nothing but diesels and hopefully they will figure it out. It sounds like our trucks are doing the same thing and will let you know what it is if they can figure it out.
    Hey also it's going to be next week until I can leave it with them. I am not sure where you are but I can check to see if they know someone in your area if I know where you are. Here is the company Central Motive Power Inc-Diesel Service Center (303) 428-3611. Hopefully they will figure my truck out, lol.
  • hurricane700hurricane700 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F-250 with the same problems, Replaced the the throttle actuator, the computer, had the EGR system cleaned, and replaced the EGR valve with no success, did you ever find out the problem or does anybody else have an idea.
  • gerlad1gerlad1 Member Posts: 22
    My F250 periodically would lose power --engine not shut down--but no response to throttle. MANY trips to both Ford dealers in town yielded lots of tests but no results including replacing the accelerator wiring system. Finally, one of the diesel mechanics said it looked like it may be having an erratic ICP signal. Replaced the pigtail connectors and I have never had a problem since then. Went the first 3 years I had the truck with many stall outs--no response to letters to Ford, etc. until this one guy at the local Ford place replaced the 4C3Z*12A690*AA wire assembly. At least that is what it said on the repair ticket. That was 40,000 miles ago. Poor fuel economy but the truck has never stalled out since then.
    Gerald
  • amccormickamccormick Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 f350 power stroke, I have about 3/4inch of free play before it starts to accelerate.I checked to see if I could adjust cable but it does not have a cable. How can I fix this problem? It only has 97000 miles.
  • pstd94pstd94 Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 94 powerstroke with the 7.3 turbo diesel and the guy said the only thing it needs is glow plugs and when i was driving home the check engine light came on and i lost power but truck didnt die, but got it goin again and check engine light stayed on and ran just fine then it started to sputter a bit and blow some white smoke then the light went off and ran fine but just about everytime i step into the throttle it sputters for just a couple of seconds and dumps some white smoke, does anybody know if it could just be the glow plugs getting worse? If not any suggestions? plz email skeetertzx@hotmail.com
    Well Skeeter,
    It's not the Glow Plugs doing that as the Glow Plugs are only at start up then never engaged until the truck is shut off and re-started. White smoke is usually a sign of a Turbo starting to go out or Blown Head Gasket letting water into the system. But check your Air & Fuel Filters first and be sure to check an see if there is a Inline Fuel filter under the truck as well. You may get lucky and just have bad filters. If the guy told you it does that because of the Glow Plugs tell him he is on crack, you can make a simple call to the dealer and they will tell you the same thing I have just said.

Also I am not sure where you are from but I went to school back East in Pa. with a kid name Skeeter. Emporium, Pa. if that is you Hiya if not I will still try to help ya, lol.

Tony
  • gerlad1gerlad1 Member Posts: 22
    Hello,
    Somehow,, I thought a screwed up EGR cooler would do the same thing.
    gerald
  • dennis66dennis66 Member Posts: 6
    i have a 01 f350 7.3 diesel ford pickup. it has a monitor that monitors trans temperature, pyro, and turbo. the trubo pressure is very low and feels like i have less power when pulling fifth wheel trailer up the mountain.. no smoke, engine is running ok, just less power and a ticking sound that seems to be louder. any suggestions.truck speed can be as much as 70-75 mph and the turbo is reading as low as 2.5 to 3.5
  • rod04rod04 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 04 Powerstroke and tow a 36 foot 5th wheel. Three days ago we were heading to the mountions on vacation towing a 15 foot cargo trailer with a Harley in it when it started overheating. I went to a mechanic were he tool me there is coolent both internal and external and looks like both head gaskets are leaking or cracked heads. I have 49970 miles on the truck and the warranty ran out in May.
    I am now waiting for the extended warranty carrier to tell me how much they will cover. Is there a class action lawsuit going on regarding all these problems with the 6.0 ?
  • eddy20eddy20 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 94 7.3 that just started to knock i was told that it might be a injector does any one have any ideas
    took the truck to ford dealer. found two exhaust ports leeking and a (donut gasket leaking) the bolts on the manifolds really look in bad shape and probalbe will break when trying to remove the manifolds. am also going to replace the oil pan since is it complete rust now. ask if there is any other preventative maintenance that i should do while we have the engine out. perhaps considering replacing rear seal while engine is out and flywheel off. dealer gave me 2500 estimate to do the work. any other suggestions.
  • donavuerdonavuer Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I just bought a used 2004 F-350 Super Duty Diesel..Nothing but problems since I got it..It has been in the shop more than the road! Now, the EGR Coolant Tube has been replaced, it is still at the shop because it won't start..Any ideas?
    my ticking sound, sound a lot like a knock., make sure it is not a exhaust leak.
  • shannynfhshannynfh Member Posts: 3
    my truck started jerking as it goes down the road several months ago. it happened occasionally and with no regularity. finally it happened enough that the check engine light came on (has to jerk 3 times for this to happen). they hooked it up and read the codes. there was some sort of exhaust code and voltage code. that all got fixed. drove it to work and then on the way home it happened again. it jerked 3 times, the light came on and then it happened several more times. i got the mechanic in the truck with me and drove down the road. of COURSE it didn't happen again, but he plugged it in and a code for my cam sensor came on. we replaced it. it continued to happen. my tires were quite mismatched on the rear, so i bought 4 new tires for the back yesterday. today...... it jerked again and even died at the stop light.
    this jerk- sometimes it's hard, sometimes not. it happens at all speeds. i've spent over $300 at the mechanic and then over $500 on new tires. any ideas???
  • tsuzan41tsuzan41 Member Posts: 3
    I'm sorry to read about your truck. My husband and I are looking for a fire answer too. Tonight our truck had the block warmer catch fire after only 20-30 mintues of being plugged in. The wires going into it burnt in two, thank goodness the lights in the house responded to the shorting or we would have been too late. And it was only about 7 feet from my daughter's bedroom window with two full tanks! Does anyone know if electrical fires are common for this truck? Ours is a 1995 I don't know if that matters, but any info will help before it's too late.
  • tsuzan41tsuzan41 Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading other oil leak post and none seem to have the same problem as I do. Maybe someone knows somewhere to try and track mine down to. It is on the top of the engine, it puddles on top of the block. It seems to be coming from the front and flowing back. the turbo has be completely taken apart and checked, no leaks. where else could it be coming from? Anyone that has any suggestions, thank you!
  • mrpeemrpee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 f250 with 60,000 miles and today it lost all of its oil, it appears that it is coming from the back of the oil pan but it is also pooling in the valley between the heads. Any one have any ideas?
    the ford of these years have a history of oil pans rusting to the point of leaking. not an easy job to replace. cannot speak for oil in valley. my dealer quoted 1400 to replace the oil pan. ia m having other work done also. if they pull the engine, check for exhaust leaks and other preventative work that be worth considering at this time.
  • shk516shk516 Member Posts: 2
    the other thing that might be is the O rings under the turbo charger,there is a pressure & a return to the turbo that when they leak will run oil down each side of the block behind the heads & in the valley between the heads on diesal models.
  • chilly94chilly94 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 97 F350 4x4 with 7.3 auto E4OD. have had problems with trans for a year now so i wanted to swap the e4od for a zf 5speed. I got a 95 f350 with 7.3 zf 5speed for the swap. I pulled the EEC & PCM also the wire harnes under the hood.
    I started the 97 up but the check engin light is on,i have no tach or throdle control.
    could this be that i didnt change the wire harnes to the motor itself? has anyone done this swop and can tell me what i maybe missing?
    Thanks .
  • chilly94chilly94 Member Posts: 4
    you may want to look at your high presser oil pump at front of motor or your fuel pump that is in the valley between the heads. oil pump may have leak at pump or any of the lines to the heads. fuel pump has a o-ring at the mount that may leak.
    other then turbo mount o-rings or crack in heads at the oil passedges.