Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• renfroebrorenfroebro Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 F-250 6.0 liter Diesel, and yes I have trouble with my injectors, two went out the first 50,000 miles, one more right after 100,000 miles, and now it is blowing lots of white smoke out the tail pipe, and I think I have more injector problems. Not to mention the vibration in the front end. And the fact that I cannot drive it because of all the smoke, and I cannot afford to fix it yet.
  • renfroebrorenfroebro Member Posts: 2
    The cam sensor on the 6.0 is located behind the air compresor, I would recomend going to helminc.com and ordering a service Manual as I did, but you have to take the tire off, the wrap around over the tire, then remove the air compresor, hope this helps
  • duallyman99duallyman99 Member Posts: 1
    Thinking one of my batteries had failed (1999 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel), I replaced both after the truck wouldn't start. No battery light had indicated any problem, the batteries had discharged. It was fine for a day, then the battery indicator started flickering periodically, especially at low RPMs. I replaced the alternator. A day later, the battery indicator light began flashing periodically again, especially when raising the RPMs. All the connections are tight and clean......is there another regulator or sensor that could cause the problem......?
  • 444expert444expert Member Posts: 9
    Battery lite flashing usually means alternator is on its way out I would test charging system and than load test batts.
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    You have a short somewhere, mine did the same thing. Follow the Alternator wires as that is where mine was at.
  • toyjnketoyjnke Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with 2001 F350 7.3L intermittently die on road. I originally thought it was the CPS but have replaced it with the new (improved) one. When attempting to restart after the truck dies the "Wait to start" comes on/off very fast and the truck will not start. If I let it sit for a couple of minutes it will start if the wait to start goes through its normal 5-10 second timeout. I always know when it will start by watching the "wait to start" and ensuring it stays lit for a proper amount of time. This requires cycling the keyswitch on/off a few times to get the proper sequence. I do have a 60hp superchip piggy backed on the PCM. I recently replaced the batteries and had no problems for about 3 months. Now it is starting to happen again? Any help is appreciated.
  • don169don169 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 - F350 with a 6.0 liter.
    at 100100miles the egr cooler went out, they would not cover under warranty cause it was 100 miles out. This was last year..

16,000 miles and one year later it went out again, had it fixed out of state, cost $2900. Now they said it was not covered warranty cause it had a one year warranty and it was 10 days past...

I am not very happy..
  • mopar5mopar5 Member Posts: 4
    howdy howdy....your problem is in the e.g.r. intake passage. You have too clean the intake side and clean the passages with a wire brush. The carbon is goin to keep chipping off into your e.g.r. They have a a tool that replaces the e.g.r and a cleaner that cleans the intake system.
  • paulingrampaulingram Member Posts: 2
    was pulling a cattle trailer today, started up a hill, punched the overdrive button, and the truck literally shut down, will run, but will not accelerate at all, the gas pedal goes to the floor board but the truck won't go. any suggestions on what might have caused this, have had no problems with this vehicle till now. whatever it is it has shut the electronic system down, checked fuses, didn't see a problem there. Thanks,
  • autismpowerautismpower Member Posts: 5
    I have a strong suspicion, I had a very similar problem on my 2003 f 250,
    Long story short , right under the palstic covers around the steering column, the tow haul switch wire was shorting out on a bracket that it routes to tightly around,

I reroyuted to give the wire some slack , and small peice of electrical tape over the bare wire, which solved it, something defferent on mine was it would blow a fuse, i cannot remeber the fuse number though, maybe 34 or 43,or 41 ? and the manual for that fuse is incorrect .
    so to be clear the wire shorted about 4 inches from the base on the tow haul switch arm.

Hope this helps, and good luck
    Dave cincinnati
  • akmcgovernakmcgovern Member Posts: 1
    Similar problem just began last night. Runs for 3-5 minutes then dies. "Wait to start light" is normally 11 seconds only comes on for 3-5 seconds. I have no chips or mods to my 96 F-350 power stroke. I replaced the fuel filter, no help.
    Hoping you found your solution, so that I can copy.
  • nickerrrnickerrr Member Posts: 5
    The Egr cooler that came stock on the 6.0 diesels was a weak link in the motor. When it goes out it may look like a head gasket and has been known to freeze lock injectors. The solution to this problem is to look online and find the "bulletproof" cooler. Do NOT order a new one from ford or it will repeat the problem. The stock ones have a coil inside whereas the aftermarket ones run solid welded tubes inside. I replaced mine with this and haven't had any problems since.
    Check your valve cover gasket, as some of them even had part of the wiring harness for the injectors and glow plugs inside them. They tend to leak in the back corners and may look like your rear main seal or a pan gasket because they drip and run down over others parts.
    It is probably your egr cooler which freezes your injectors and will cause white smoke- looking like a head gasket leak. Replace the cooler with an aftermarket tube welded cooler NOT the stock cooler from ford.
    This sounds like a short in your wiring harness. Although I havnt had ths problem, my neighbor with an 01 did and he found the short and replaced the harness.
    It says this code is a Manufacturer Specific Powertrain code. But everything seems to run alright. Now its also saying my glow plug circuit monitor bank 1. Any ideas?
  • leojnewobleojnewob Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 F350 turbo diesel. When I go to accelerate (passing or standing) quickly the tach jumps the power falls way off and I leave a cloud of blue smoke. It drives great cruises smooth, but any rapid acceleration blah...the engine has almost 200K I don't know exactly the previous owner rolled back the od. My MPG is ok at 17 when not towing. This is a fairly recent problem as it did not do it when I purchased it.
    Any help is greatly appreciated
  • f2502005f2502005 Member Posts: 1
    Periodically I will start my 6L Powerstroke and it will idle at about 500 RPMs but I can press the pedal to the floor with zero acceleration. I mean ZERO. I have to restart it a couple of times to get it to work or let it idle and "feather' the pedal until it injects gas and accelerates. I can drive all day without a problem or I can drive and have it happen a couple times a day. The FORD dealer does not have a clue as to what it is giong on. They changed the CAM Shaft sensor thinking that would fix it but it did not. Any ideas?
  • gatorfan352gatorfan352 Member Posts: 2
    Had a new egr cooler instaled at 60,000 miles. Just had another one put in at 125,000.
    Had a mech. friend of mine told me about a kit that blocks off the cooler.Is this a good idel ? At 3,000 bucks every 60,000 miles this is getting old fast. Is this a problem everybody that owns a 6.0 goes through ? The mech. at ford even said this is a piece of crap engine.Got it out of shop 4 days ago and engine light came on this afternoon !Where would I go on the web to see if there is any kind of re-call from ford on this issue? Thanks for the help.
  • gerlad1gerlad1 Member Posts: 22
    Hi,
    I had a similar problem with my 2004 6.0 liter. No help from Ford in diagnosing the problem UNTIL I finally got one of the local Ford mechanics to spend a lot of time on the engine. Please read my 9/9/09 post # 694 for details.
    But in summary, apparently I had a bad electrical connnector causing a periodic loss of oil pressure as I understood it.
    While under warranty Ford had replaced accelerator system, etc. once the electrical connector was replaced (about 2 years ago) nothing seemed to help until they replaced this wiring connector. since then, I have never had another problem with the truck going to idle and no accelerator response.
    Good luck.
    Gerald
  • dannosdannos Member Posts: 7
    I've got a 2008 6.4 F350 and at 60,000 miles I had an EGR valve go out. First they told me that one of the turbos would have to be replaced, then they said the EGR valve went bad, then after having my truck for 4 days they said that the turbo didn't need to be replaced, just the tube leading to the turbo or EGR valve (I can't remember) had to be replaced but it would take some more time in the shop because they had to drop the transmission in order to replace the tube. Does that seem normal? I think I was getting jerked around. SURPRISE ! Now that I have the truck back in my possession, it has yet to go through the 'cleaning exhaust filter' mode. And that's been about 3K miles ago. I'm really losing faith in this truck. I know the 6.4 is supposed to be a better engine but I'm not convinced.
  • rancidrancid Member Posts: 9
    i ran into a problem with my 4x4 system, when i put it in 4x4 it doesnt work and all i get is a crunch noise which sounds like its coming from the driverside, i replaced the lockers last year with Warn primium hubs. i can feel it engage when i turn the dial to 4L on the dash.
    You might wanna look at replacing those Hubs, I know way back they made good stuff but I had replaced mine with those and had to change them out 2 twice over 4 years, they usually didnt both go out at the same time but they did go out. The other thing is if it's not them check the Wires at the Tranmission to make sure they are hooked up and not grounding out on the frame anywhere.
  • gatorfan352gatorfan352 Member Posts: 2
    Im going todo my best to get this king ranch back in good running ordere and let somebody else park it in there yard. Oh yes, when i put last egr in also had 2 head gaskets installed. yellow engine lite came on dash last night, going back to ford dealer tomarrow. never ending saga ! Code# is PO402. Exhaust gas recirculation flow excessive detected.Can anyone give some info on this so I dont walk into with no ammo. Thanks for help. Mark
  • bohnobohno Member Posts: 1
    I'm a self-employed contractor. Was psyched to finally buy a truck that could handle whatever I needed. Just got it back from the shop again. Todays total was $4495.47. HELLO! Not like the construction business is booming these days. Here's my history with this lemon; At 32,000 miles, had to replace all axle seals due to leaks (warranty). At 63,000 miles rear differential clutches failed and icp sensor leaking ($987.00). At 64,000 miles rear differential leaking, u-joints and new brake pads ($553.84). At 77,000 miles alternator and both batteries ($631.96). At 80,000 miles transmission temperature sensor ($636.99). At 85,000 miles 4 injectors bad, turbo housing, egr valve and fuel pump (4495.47). The mechanic said i should expect to have to replace the other 4 injectors sooner than later for another $2000ish. And I bought a diesel thinking I might get 200,000 miles before I had to start throwing money at it. Between my wife and I, we have owned 5 other new Ford vehicles before this. Never again.
  • chuckclark1chuckclark1 Member Posts: 4
    I have not even gotten the egr cooler yet fixed but just had to buy a new turbocharger for it.When I get this put on I am trading it in.I am tired of putting money into this truck.I will never buy another ford diesel again.I have finally learned my lesson and it costs too much to keep learning.I should have kept my 2000 Dodge 2500....
  • whattheduck02whattheduck02 Member Posts: 1
    The truck will start, run a while and then will just shut off. Starts right up, no hesitation. Any ideas?
    How long is a While that it is running, there could be a short in the Fuel pump or lose connection there. Are you able to drive it at all ?
  • wah4wah4 Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 F-250 with a 6.0 diesel when sitting over night or a long amount of time cranks over a long time before starting. However after driving for sometime and shut it off and re-start it with in say 2 to 4 minutes it starts right up. What could be causing this issue?
  • wah4wah4 Member Posts: 2
    After running for 20 to 30 minutes.
  • don169don169 Member Posts: 2
    Have your glow plugs checked, it could be the sensor, or the actual glow plug switch, or even the glow plugs themselves. But it is a glow plug problem. When it gets warmer outside this will be less of a problem, If it gets really cold it might not start at all if you do not plug in it. But no matter the weather it will cause it to be hard to start once the engine is cool. So get the Glow Plug system checked.
  • radicalracerradicalracer Member Posts: 3
    when i start my truck, the wait to start light stays on 10-12 sec.The truck starts right up. ,after driving awhile when you turn it off & try to restart the wait to start light comes on for approx. 4 sec.the truck will not start. After waiting 1/2 hour the wait to start light comes on approx. 6-7 sec.then it will start , but is very sluggish to start. Once it starts then it runs normal. Tired of being stranded . Any help appreciated. Radicalracer
    Is this 1994 a early powerstroke or the 94 IDI Turbo if you could tell me I can help you with this. Good luck.
    How do I know the difference. The truck is a turbo charge.
    does the truck have turbo diesel or power stroke badges on it can you see the injectors or are they inside the valve covers what's the build date on the vin tag on drivers door does the engine look like a 1997 engine does it have a steel fuel filter or a paper one? Let me know.
  • vaqueritovaquerito Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer to your question? I have the same problem in my 99
  • concrete5656concrete5656 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: hi new here, having problem with 6.0 started running rough today ,at stop light then ran for a bit then died!! 144,000 miles changed oil air 2 fuel on time every time ,had injectors replaced at 30.000miles alternator,2 batteries at 120,000 . trouble starting this past winter , any help would be greatly appreciated pat
  • joep211joep211 Member Posts: 1
    I start my truck first thing in am, it runs fine. No smoke comes out of tail pipe. After driving it for about a half hour and I shut it off, it will not start back up until about an hour later. All fluids and filters have been changed. Glow plugs all work. This is a 1995 Power Stroke Diesel.
  • olmilehiolmilehi Member Posts: 3
    Hello All... I am posting this to get an idea of what I am up against with my dealer. I was hauling my 5th wheel trailer, pulling onto an entrance ramp on I-70 West and it appeared the turbo shut down... it was making an awful noise, no power and I looked like an 1880 train heading up the pass. I finally shut it down and called a tow service. I did not the turbo gauge shut down and it tried to kick in once, but that was short lived. I only have 35K on this truck and I wouldn't expect these kind of problems with regular servicing. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for everyones input. :sick:
    Need to know what color was the Smoke coming out, Blue, White or Black ? Sorry I am kind of oout if this morning, dang kidney stones, lol.
    It looked black from my side mirrors.... and thanks for your reply.
    Post Note: Dealer called believes the problem was the Turbo failed. They will replace the Turbo and test drive to see if other mechanical or electircal issues were the result of same. I am still within the warranty thnakfully so I asked them to fix everything they can!!
  • gerlad1gerlad1 Member Posts: 22
    Unfortunately I have one of these 6.0 things also. If at all possible, get the Ford folks to replace the EGR valve, EGR cooler and replace the head gasket and head bolts with APR bolts. It is just a matter of time (soon) till all these fail on your truck. Been there,,done that.
    Good luck.
    Gerald
  • aussamdadaussamdad Member Posts: 2
    turned over to 200,000 miles today...other than a couple fuel leaks from the sensors on the filter housing, this truck has been problem free...nocking on wood....

my other 7.3 1990 is still going with over 600k miles on it...one motor change and two junkyard transmission installs...F irst O n R ace D ay!
  • hazardous1hazardous1 Member Posts: 4
    My advice is to forget the 6.0 Liter. The problems are countless. I own several 6.0L Power Strokes and they are broke down more than they run, The main issue is the injectors. I am a construction contractor and many of my friends own Fords as well and have similar problems. The 6.4 L isn't any better. If you want a Ford Diesel then search for a well maintained 7.3L they were manufactured through 2002. In 2011 Ford is using their own Diesel and time will tell if they got it right. Good luck!
  • fordconvertfordconvert Member Posts: 1
    Will it provide significant fuel economy by chipping my used 2001 F350 7.3?
    The injectors are inside the valve covers,also i was told it is a DI motor. sorry it took so long to get back , been really busy.someone said it might be the icp or the ipc? Could this be the problem?
    The ICP Sensor tells the Computer you have 500 PSI Oil pressure so the motor will Fire and sends it the 1 plus Volt it needs. What is the truck not doing ?
  • onefst66onefst66 Member Posts: 1
    Am wondering if swapping out my auto for a 5 speed is workable and what year(s) i can get one out of that will work.Also if this is worth the time and effort.
  • sandz39sandz39 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have a 95 F350 7.3. Does anyone know where there is a fuse on top of the block. I have been having trouble starting the motor. After it starts it will lope until you give it fuel. I found the fuse before by accident and changed it and it fixed the problem, but I think it blew again. Now I can't remember or find it again. Any ideas

Thanks
    Sandz39