Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

Comments

• fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    I was informing f-series owners that a new tsb was released yesterday concerning shift quality complaints on 2007-2008 4R75E transmissions if you look up the tsb number i posted all info will be on it
  • renwickdrenwickd Member Posts: 2
    how do i file my complaint?
  • tahoeguy1tahoeguy1 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02' deisal f350. 197k miles, and my 3rd transmission , this one has 100k on it. When I'm going uphill it leaks and seems to be coming where the trans and engine meet. Any idea what this could be? My garage is getting to be a mess.
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    If you are having to add tranny fliud all the time then more than likely it is the Seal in the Torgue Converter. With out seeing it it's a little hard to know. Pull the plate off the bottom where you can see the Flywheel and Torgue Converter, if on the side where the Converter butts up against the Tranny and it look like it clean down the middle then it's the Seal. If you are not replacing tranny oil then of course it's your Rear Seal on the Motor.
    Thanks for that. It sounds like either way the tranny has to come off. Its definatly tranny fluid, all the way up my steep street. (it doesnt do it on level ground) I think the rear seal on the motor is also gone, as it occationaly leaks engine oil as well. The oil companies must love me! Reading some of these threads it seems like there are different types of torque converters available, depending on the vehicles use? We pull a horse trailer sometimes, and a boat.
    If it's truly only up hill that it leaks make sure it's not coming out of some place else like the Rear Seal on the tranny or if it's 4x4 someplace around the transfer Case. If you are unsure where it's coming from start over and park it someplace where there is no Oil under it so in the morning you can get under there and find out for sure where the Oil is coming from.

Torgue Converters are very Important yes but they don't have to spend what they are wanting on some of these Website. I paid 350.00 for mine from a local guy here in Denver that supplies us with them for all our racing vehicles as well and would put it up against anything you can buy out in Web land including ATS, BD, Xtreme or who ever else sells them at Triple the Cost. The lowest I see a so called Converter for is around 900.00 and go up too 1500.00. Now I do pay a different price than others only because I am a Racer my self but the whole tranny with converter would only cost around 2600.00 for a rebuilt one. Shipping I am sure has gone up but last year his was only paying under 150.00 each way to ship one.
  • acdudeacdude Member Posts: 1
    I have a transmission fluid leak coming from the transmission fill tube. This seems like an odd place to have a leak. Anyone experiened this? I think it must be cracked but not sure. I wanted to check before I bring it in.
    you might want to have a close look at the tube its 2 pieces and ford uses anarobic sealer on the lower piece in the case and it tends to leak sometimes especially on 4x4's that get off road usage
  • big95broncobig95bronco Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 95 Bronco and i recently smoked the tranny, well anytime i drove it anywhere over 8 miles i'd boil over out of the dipstick tube, and i'm transplanting the good guts from a 2wd to my 4wd. We ran into a 'little' snafu with all these damn little balls. I thought with taking a large sum of photos and being 'really' careful I'd be able to rebuild this damn thing, but god forbid should that be the case and now i'm frantically searching the internet for answers but i forgot the internet is full money grubbing yuppies and everyone's trying to be the next Bill Gates. So basically would you help me?
    Craig
    Hey Craig,
    Well as that was pretty full detail, what do you actually need and/ or want ? lol.
  • big95broncobig95bronco Member Posts: 2
    All i need to know is where and what size balls little homes are in the valve body so i don't mix them up
    well there should be 9 checkballs in the case 5/16 and 2 in the lower valve body 5/16 and 1 epc relief ball 1/4 inch on a spring below the solenoid block all are plastic except the epc relief which is steel
    I have a major trans leak on my F350, 4x4, its coming out at the front where the sheet metal cover meet the back of the engine. It was only doing it when I went up a long hill and would start after a 1/4 mile, now its doing it all the time. Is this the torque converter or is there a high presure line in that cavity? If I take the trans off, how big of a deal is it?
    this unit is prone to front seal blowout with heat as a factor for pressure buildup in the pump. hopefully the pump bushing is not spun and only front seal replacement will be necessary... if the hub of the torque converter shows any galding or damage the pump bushing will have to be replaced.not something you can do yourself otherwise its a fairly simple operation once you have the unit out of the vehicle
  • getnrdonegetnrdone Member Posts: 1
    Can I "bolt in swap" a 5 speed manual transmission (M5R2) into my 1990 Ford F-150 4x4? It has a 4.9 I-6 engine and a Borg-Warner 1345 t-case. Current transmission is a Borg-Warner 1301, better known as a T18. It needs repairs but I'd rather invest my money in getting a 5th gear. I see that the 5 speed was an option for that year but not sure if all will mate up. Bellhousing bolts, clutch, shifter hole alignment, transfercase mounting, and transfer case shaft splines. If you know the answer to this, please help this do it your selfer out!
  • tthefordmantthefordman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Ford F250 Super Duty with a E40D transmission. Last week I was pulling my 32ft trailer up a mountain pass when the transmission went into a down shift mode untill all I had was engine RPM/throttle when you hit the gas. I wasn't pushing it. I was doing about 50MPH up the highway and I had my overdrive turned off at the time. Needless to say it cost me $1000 cash to have my trailer and truck towed back to my house which was about 110 miles away. I went to check out my truck today and I do have reverse but I have no forward gears to move the truck, just engine RPM/Throttle. Any ideas would be great as yes I know that this is a complicated transmission. Thanks in adavance for all your help.
  • davidcurtisadavidcurtisa Member Posts: 1
    I too have an 06 f150 4x4 super crew. I have 30 k on it and i have the ex warrente 75k, I have a hard shift to 2nd gear also a loud vibration comes from the tranny when under exceleration on top of that i recently towed a 2k lb trailer 200 mile and the tranny shook so hard i thought it was going to die on the side of the road. I brought it to ford and all they could tell me was DRIVE IT TIL IT BREAKS! Thats a NO GO in my book so i called ford an spoke with a JOE RICE or BRICE regional manenger for the customer satisfaction east and his choggie boy TREVOR, these two were horrible ambassador for the ford company and did nothing to correct the problem. They were very hard to work with and avoided any kind of customer care or resolution. If anything those two single handedly ruined any chance of me buying another ford again. To make it worse when I asked repeatedly for his supervisor or a survey form or web sight and JOE BRICE refused both and said i would have to take up a civil suite if if i wanted any resolution. I was also told that at my expense i would have to provide a trailer so the maint crew could replicate the complaint( tranny shutter while towing) witch i think is unacceptable. they claim to have fixed the hard shift but it is still very prominent. Please feel free to email me with any advice ANYONE! I hope this trickles down to ford and JOE and TREVOR are seriously looked at as ambassador for ford clearly a weak point in the company. davidcurtisa@yahoo.com
  • wilkinson1wilkinson1 Member Posts: 3
    I had my transmission rebuilt 2 years and 25k ago. Everything worked perfect until recently. There are no trouble signals. Sometimes when I down shift the revs go up past where they should (freewheel ?) and then drop down to where they should be in the lower gear. It is expecially bad when in top gear at highway speeds on grades. The revs will go up 500 rpm past where they should be (or more) and then it slams back into gear and then everything is fine. In regular driving it shifts perfectly and the fluid level is good with the color good and no burnt smell. One shop thinks it might be a sprag and the shop that rebuilt it thinks it might need another overhaul because of clutch wear. It should not be clutches as it only has 25k easy miles on a complete rebuild. It does not feel like slipping but like it is in neutral (or between gears for a split second) when this happens.

Any ideas?
    I second that. It can be slightly annoying but otherwise no big deal. The additivies should fix it.
    What do you suggest for a HEAVY DUTY rebuild for a 2002 F-150 E40D 4x4 tranny? Will a Super Duty transmission work? I am an adult and I don't abuse the truck but I do haul loads occasionally and plow snow a few times in the winter. I am sick of having problems. Every shop seems to have a different idea of how to fix these.
  • rterrellrterrell Member Posts: 5
    what was the deal with it..?? i have a 06 that is doing the same thing... it has done it twice at highway speeds and twice in low speeds... switched to 4wheel high and noise goes away... just had this truck about 6 weeks now...
    what do you need to know ive been rebuilding these trans since they first hit the mkt
    my question was in reference to post #196... got any info???
    i must have missed something 196 was not my post
  • slmx525slmx525 Member Posts: 4
    Help! Transmission just recently started to show these problems: occasionally when starting the truck and putting transmission into drive there's nothing there (it's like it is in Neutral), 2nd is the same. The trick to getting 2nd & Drive working and moving forward is to put truck into 1st gear and drive slowly forward and then shift into 2nd then into Drive to engage transmission. This method has worked everytime regardless of temperature, duration of how long the truck had been running or shut down, etc. Now there is a new problem: the method of putting truck into 1st gear and then to Drive is no longer working. 1st gear seems to be slipping (or what I believe to be slipping) and doesn't engage. If I gas it at this point and go to 3000 rpm and then back off, it will slowly engage into 1st and then again I can shift into 2nd and then Drive. Reverse has always worked fine. Any ideas?
    Not sure how long it's been doing that but you are lucky you have been able to do that more than 10 miles. Unless it's low on Oil the tranny is probably shot. Have to check Dwayne here in Denver to see what shipping is up too and if the price has changed much, but a Rebuild with new Torgue Converter and shipping is around 2600 to 2800 depending on where you are at. 2 main things you need to pull it yourself is a good long Ext for the top bolts of the tranny and a tranny jack, with the way these new ones are my ATV jack works better than the regular tranny jack, for me anyways it does.

Tony
  • phinfan13phinfan13 Member Posts: 1
    Replaced starter that was bad. Now will crank fine but will not go into gear. I have tried disconnecting the negative cable to battery and somebody also told me that if the brake lights did not work it may be the switch but they work fine. It will just not come out of park. HELP !!! :sick: Ford F250 XLT 4WD 5.4L
    Here's the easy way. Just call Ford in the morning and tell them what it is doing, I was trying to find the part you need but for the love of god I can not think of it. If the Parts person doesn't know just ask the Service Department. If they won't tell you the part you need email back and I will find it for you. I would look more for it now but it's 11PM and I just got done working on the GF's car and a little tired, lol.

Tony
  • xxbullseyexxbullseye Member Posts: 1
    I can not find a trans. wirring harness locally or on the internet. Any suggestions on where to find one?
  • johnr12johnr12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a problem with my 2006 F 150 4 X 4. Ever since I first got the truck - I have had an intermitant problem (about a dozen times now) :mad: where after driving for about 25- 50 miles - and I come to a complete or partial stop - during acceleration, I get a very loud noise - almost a grinding or draging sound from the transmission - sounds like maybe even a slipping sound. It's so loud that I have to pull off to the side of the road and then it stops - sometimes a loud clunk sound occurs. Then when I start off again it is fine. It almost reminds me of the transmission not dropping back into first gear when I come to a stop and then the truck is trying to accelerate in second or third. I've had this at the dealer 3 times now and they say they can't find anything wrong - it's still under warrenty and I want to get this fixed before warrenty runs out. Truck has about 20,000 miles on it now. Any ideas?
  • johnr12johnr12 Member Posts: 2
    patsea2, I seem to be having the same issue with my 2006 F 150. Did you ever resolve the problem on your truck? If so what was the problem and what do do?

You can respond to me directly if you want at johnheyd@comcast.net.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    i had the grinding noise with my tranny at 26,000 miles. took it in 3 days past the 36 month warranty period (thought I was there in time) and was on the hook for a new transmission (50% of a $4,200 tranny job)

At least you have them on notice that something is not right with your tranny.

good luck
  • ronald9ronald9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 F-250 4X4 6 cyl w/5 sp trans. Here is the problem: recently I was driving about 45 mph, slowed down and down shifted into 3rd gear. The trans made a grinding sound. Almost as if I was trying to shift without the clutch. Today it got worse. In every gear when I let off the gas the trans grinds. It starts off slow at first and then gets faster. Any ideas what's wrong? Don't want to go to the dealer without some idea of what the problem is.
    Hey Ronald,

If it's griding while in gear then more than likely totally it's worn out ( Syn Gears ). If it's Griding while trying to put it in gear then the Clutch is going out. On your 1991 if you adjust the Rod yourself where does it engage and release when you push in and let out on the peddle to shift gears ?

Tony
  • kittyfarmerkittyfarmer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 F150, 4.9L, 135K, automatic trans. that shifts (or literally slams) very hard into each gear as it shifts up. But only when the trans. is warm. Shifts great when cold. Just changed fluid and filter and then fluid again. Any ideas? Could it be a shift sensor of some type? I do a lot of home auto repair but not transmissions. Thanks for any of your thoughts!
  • noanoa Member Posts: 1
    When my truck is under a heavy starting load the engine will start to rev up and down and then if I don't let up on the pedal it will stall out and the overdrive light begins to flash. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Save up because your tranny is about to go out. You can try changing the oil and flushing it out and when you fill it back up out some BG Tranny to help it, but in the end you are going to have to have it rebuilt. If you are close to Denver or can be with out your truck for a 10 days you can pull it and send it to my tranny guy. Run you about 2500.00 plus shipping and it will have a new Torgue Converter in it as well. I will tell you this the tranny he builds is the same as what ats and others charge you about 4500.00.
  • sjkingsjking Member Posts: 1
    On our 1992 F250 XLT diesal w/auto trans, the 4x4 shift lever came out of the floor. The cast collar that fixes it to the block split, allowing the pin to come out of the shift lever hole. Anybody know enough here to give me a clue on how to proceed.
    Thanks
    If I remember right it bolts on right ? If it does you might be able to find the part in a junk yard or take it to a good Welder and they should be able to Weld in back if thats the case .
  • bigwilbigwil Member Posts: 1
    I have a ford F-150 1999 2x4 4.2. Last week I had a light check engine in my dash. The transmission had troubles going from second to third gear.After puting the computer on it, it said to change the selinoid that changes the gears in the transmission. So I did with a new filter and new oil. Fired it up and it went very well.Once the trans. oil got hot it started slipping in almost every gear.Its worst than it was before. So i'm thinking that it could be something eles thats wrong and it makes the selinoid go nuts. But what? Thanks
  • khakushiakhakushia Member Posts: 1
    hi, i have a 96 f150 4x4 with a 4r70w trans. it is having a hard time shifting into gear. it likes it run about 3k - 4k rpm before it will shift. while cruising down the road around 65 mph it loves to down shift which kicks the rpms up to a steady 3300. i let go of the accelerator and cruise to around 60 it will shift up but as soon as i hoover around 65 it will down shift down and then up shift and just pretty much just shift eraticlly. any ideas. :sick:
  • amath_101amath_101 Member Posts: 1
    My 1989 F350 is starting in drive instead of first.
    Does anyone know why or how I can fix it?
    Thank you
  • jdrlejdrle Member Posts: 3
    When first started and put in drive, if you put it to the floor it barely goes, you have to let up a little and after it shifts then you can put it to the floor and it takes off. After it gets hot it takes off a little better but it doesnt seem right , it feels sluggish. Also the tow switch does not work. This maybe a fuel related item. I need all the help I can get.
    Ford Stock tranny's are not very good at all, even if you change the oil every 20K they still don't last. The Wire inside the Steering Colum that goes from the Switch to the Button on your shifter is more than likely broke, bad news is that you have to replace the whole shifter and they run anywhere from 120.00 to 190.00 depending on the Dealer pricing.
  • jdrlejdrle Member Posts: 3
    Ok, but is this causing the truck to take off slow like that.
  • kbodekbode Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 f-150 5.4 and was driving on the highway just fine got off,stopped at a light,then when i took off,and it should have shifted into overdrive.... nuthin no overdrive it dissapeared. ichecked the fuses-fine ,so now i drive with overdrive off anybody have any ideas??? fluid seems fine.
    what was the deal ???
    what was the deal ???
  • f150_fanf150_fan Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this truck 3 weeks ago from a Chevy dealer and they have already had to replace the trans. (74,000 miles)
    the (rebuilt or used trans- not sure which) downshifted today out of OD into drive at 65mph for no reason.
    After shutting off for a few minutes it has worked fine since.
    Any experience with this ,anybody? Any ideas?
  • adams3adams3 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All, I'm looking for opinions on my trans. noise problem. It's an '08 f-150 with 5-speed. There is a vibrating-type noise that comes up through the stickshift while driving, especially when a bit of load is put on engine (not bogging, though). I've driven with stick detached, and noise lessens/disappears. Anyone else have this? Thanks, Chris