Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a used Accord

2»

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi there - I encourage you to also post over in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. There are several people there who can help you with this.

Good luck with your sale!!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Go to CarMax, see what they'll give you. They typically give more than the average price at a dealer.

Remember, a dealer is pricing you like a trade-in or a wholesaler, because THEY will immediately re-sell the car for that advertised $18000-$19000 you speak of.
  • hpu2000hpu2000 Member Posts: 2
    I just wondered if you decided to go with Atlanta's Best Deals? I'm considering using them, but am a little wary due to the good prices, also...
  • tl_2007stl_2007s Member Posts: 34
    I am looking at a Honda Accord EX, 4 cyl, auto, with around 37,000 miles. They are asking for $ 14K. Is this a good deal?
  • rgraferrgrafer Member Posts: 17
    Hey, that would be a GREAT car to have, would last you forever with little maintenance. But I think $14K is a little bit high? Is that from a dealer? KBB lists private party sale value around $12,500.
  • tl_2007stl_2007s Member Posts: 34
    Yes, that is what the dealer wants for it. Do you think the dealer might approach to the private party sale value? I guess it does not hurt to ask.
    Ask away!!! I believe it's tough times for dealers. Type in the specific details (milegae, etc.) on KBB.com with your zip code to see the dealer value and you'll know. Still offer at least $500 less than dealer value and then walk away if they don't take it. I bet you $$ you'll get a call from them wanting to take your offer. Be prepared to haggle! Good luck!!! :-)
  • concordiaconcordia Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I live in Canada, and planning to buy an Accord 2003 or 2004. But I read many negative reviews about the 2003 one.
    Is it true that the Accord 2003 has major transmission failure problem?

Also, when dealers mention the word Certified, how reliable is it? Or they still play with the millage? I am very confused.

Should I go for a 2003 or 2004? and dealer or Private?

Views please!
    2003 and early 2004 models with the V6 have a known transmission problem, therefore the warranty on them was greatly extended.

Not sure what you mean by "play with mileage" though, regarding certified used cars.
    Just buy a 4 cylinder! You'll get better gas mileage anyway. :D
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    2003 and early 2004 models with the V6 have a known transmission problem, therefore the warranty on them was greatly extended.

It would be nice to have the piece of mind, but I haven't heard about this "greatly extended warranty". Please fill me in grad. Far as I know, the only warranty extension on my 03 V6 is the audio screen dimming thing. The warranty on everything else ended at 3/36.
    Uh oh, did I get it confused? I know Odyssey vans had transmissions replaced by Honda well beyond the 3/36. My friend with an Acura 3.2 CL (2001) had his tranny replaced by Acura (Honda) at over 90k miles. Paid nothing. I thought the warranty was pushed out with a recall.

Oops.

:blush:
    I know Odyssey vans had transmissions replaced by Honda well beyond the 3/36. My friend with an Acura 3.2 CL (2001) had his tranny replaced by Acura (Honda) at over 90k miles. Paid nothing.

I would expect Honda to do the same for my 03 Accord V6,
    were the tranny ever to fail (knocks on wood). I haven't seen anything in writing, however, saying they have to.
    On a different topic, I had an interesting experience with my 1991 Accord. 91 may have been the only year where they had the seatbelts that opened when the car door opened, and automatically slid over and closed on you when you got in and closed the door. Well, my seatbelt mechanism broke, meaning I couldn't use the driver's side seatbelt. This happened in about 2003, when the car was 12 years old. I took it to the local dealer in Naples, FL, who wanted $800 to repair it. I called Honda's HQ customer service and they said there was no charge to repair it. (Obviously they were thinking ahead about the liability they could possibly have on their hands if there was an accident and I had a no seat belt as it was faulty.)

Got this all squared away with the local service manager, who was contacted by HQ. When I went to pick it up, the service manager was not around and the staff insisted they had to charge me the $800!!! I had to stand there for an hour and a half before they admitted it was no charge and gave me my keys!!! Terrible experience....

Anyway, it was pretty cool that they would do the right thing and fix a problem at no charge on a 12 year old car!
    I believe the seatbelts have a lifetime warranty, likely for the lawsuit reason you cited.
    Which is the reason automakers stopped making cars with automatic seatbelts. It's still costing them. I never liked the automatic belts anyway. They were often in the way.
  • cpbnyccpbnyc Member Posts: 2
    I am buying my 2006 Honda Accord as the lease is ending. Is it worth the extra thousand dollars to have it certified?? I don't know if it pays or not. I would get the lower financing rate and a warranty, but somehow I feel it is not necessary. Does anyone have any advice?
    It's nice that they are giving you a choice. I guess it depends on how many miles the warranty would be for, and if you think it would actually save you some $$ on repair bills during that time. It's a crap shoot really, IMO. I bought the 100k mile extended warranty for my first Accord back in 91, and never used it ("$600 wasted). So I didn't buy the extended warranty for the next Accord.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    If your buying the same Accord that you leased, you do have a big advantage of knowing the history of the car. Did you treat the car right? Get regular oil changes? Car have little or no problems so far?

If so, I would probably pass on the warranty.

mrbill
  • kate_704kate_704 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings! At a local dealer we have found a 2006 Honda Accord SE, auto, 4DR, approx. 26K. Nice car, but noticed the brakes are a bit touchy. Is this typical for Honda's? We have not owned one before. Dealer is asking $13,900 and we're looking for some things to negotiate on. Thanks for the input!
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    brakes are a bit touchy

I haven't noticed Honda brakes being "touchy". What I've found with any car is that you get used to whatever you drive. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get the brakes checked out since you are putting down the cash. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    If you are used to cars with a lot of pedal travel, the Accord brakes take some getting used to. It doesn't take long to get the hang of them, and actually like them more than other cars, once you get used to them.
    When I changed from my '96 Accord and our 2000 Odyssey to my 2006 Accord, I nearly put myself through the windshield with the new brakes a few times. They are indeed "touchy" for someone new to this car, but its not indicative of a problem. What you're experiencing reflects what I felt too!

God luck with the purchase, and let us know the outcome!

TheGraduate
    2006 Accord EX 2.4L, 50,600 miles
  • stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    41500 miles $15950 this week from an Acura dealer. Car is clean, very clean. Sliver w. black leather. I think its a very good deal. $1500 lower than Edmunds TMV. :) .
  • bajajoesbajajoes Member Posts: 48
    My 2001 Accord may have a similar issue as yours.

It has 113,500 miles it and started gradually using more oil but seems to have stabilized at a Quart/1000 miles.

I am not doing any work on it unless it gets much worse.

How many miles/quart was your Accord going??

B.J.
    :shades:
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Don't be offended if odonoghuek1 doesn't reply. That was his one and only post here and it was back in January, 2007. ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - try posting in the following discussion with this question. Someone there can give you feedback: Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair.
  • odyssey4usodyssey4us Member Posts: 45
  • odyssey4usodyssey4us Member Posts: 45
    I am just posting this because I hate for people to get ripped off. If you are considering a 2008-2010 used Accord, please check the price of a new one. I have been shopping for one, but the 2008s with 30k to 40k miles are in the $19k and up, when I can buy a new LX-P for just $21,300. It would be ridiculous to buy such a used car to save just a couple of thousand dollars. Yes, if the uninformed will look at the highly inflated stckers of new cars (as much as $27k for the LX-P), and they will think the used one is a deal. Please don't get taken by these dealers. Negotiate and get yourself a new car. Just my two cents. Hope it helps.
  • cruiserdudecruiserdude Member Posts: 5
    can i ask which dealer you got your accord from? i'm looking to buy an accord lx. did you pay cash or finance?

thanks
This discussion has been closed.