Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Diesel cold air intake problem

pugspugs Member Posts: 1
edited April 2018 in GMC
I just installed a Volant cold air intake on my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with a 6.6L Duramax diesel engine. My check engine light now comes on and by utilizing a Superchips flashpaq I determined that there is a DTC code P0101 which identifies a problem with the MAF. I checked the connections to the MAF sensor and insured it was installed correctly.

The engine is in the "Stock" tuning mode. I did not install any of the tuning modes from the Flashpaq. Any help on how to correct this problem?

Thanks

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Put the stock intake back on.
  • smokin03smokin03 Member Posts: 4
    You need to get on the phone with a Volant representative and have them help you figure out why their intake is setting a code. You might be able to ask some other Duramax owners on here, or try www.duramaxforum.com as some owners might have a Volant and could help you out.
  • victorsalgadovictorsalgado Member Posts: 1
    I have a dodge pick 3500 diesel engine cummis I change the fuel filter and I think that I got air on the injetor and now the truck does not star and I don't know what to do to get it to star again please help.
  • ronniesrronniesr Member Posts: 4
    take your truck to the dealer they can reset your computer and that will take care of your problem.
  • coolasashcoolasash Member Posts: 4
    this may have something to do with the installation. volant cold air intake manuals can be quite incomprehensible at times. if ur sure you installed everything properly call someone at volant and tell them about the problem.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    take your truck to the dealer they can reset your computer and that will take care of your problem.

Nope, it will not.
    The problem is that the MAF sensor is not reading the air intake right. This is a problem with many aftermarket air intakes, including Volant.

First thing you need to do is get a good scanner and a good information system, like AlldataDIY.
    Do the diagnostics for the trouble code and you will see the BARO sensor also plays a part in making this trouble code active and is also part of the intake system.
    Any time you modify the intake or exhaust systems on these newer cars/trucks, you are asking for headaches.

The mass air flow (MAF) sensor is an air flow meter that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The engine control module (ECM) uses the MAF sensor voltage signal to provide the correct fuel delivery for a reduction in emissions. The ECM uses the MAF sensor signal to control fuel delivery until a calibrated amount of engine air flow is attained. The MAF sensor produces an output voltage based on the inlet air flow through the air induction system. This output voltage will display on the scan tool as a voltage parameter and as a grams per second (g/s) parameter. The ECM compares the actual MAF sensor voltage signal to a predicted MAF value. This comparison will determine if the signal is stuck, or is too low or too high for a given operating condition.

Verify the integrity of the air induction system by inspecting for the following conditions:
    Restrictions in the MAF air induction system and the turbocharger system
    Restrictions in the exhaust system-Refer to Restricted Exhaust.
    Leaks in the charge air cooler with a J 46091
    Leaks at the MAF/IAT sensor O-ring seal
    Leaks at the MAP pressure sensor seal
    Cracked or damaged MAF sensor housing
    Restricted intake air duct or a dirty air filter element
    Debris blocking the air sensing filaments of the MAF sensor
    A MAF sensor that is installed backwards
    An exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve that is stuck open.
    A skewed MAF sensor will also cause the predicted MAF value to disagree with the actual MAF sensor value. Use the scan tool to compare the MAF Sensor parameter to a known good vehicle under various operating conditions.
  • tfoxworthtfoxworth Member Posts: 1
    It's letting to air much in. It's not made for the diesel. You need to send it back and get the green one. It's made for the diesel engine. I have the same truck, I've had know problem. I got mine from 4x4 center co.
  • seadrivejoeseadrivejoe Member Posts: 1
    Just got a Duramax so have been looking. I was told that lean mixture was a problem IF YOU DIDN'T DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES during installation. When you reconnect and start the computer is said to reset the mass air to take care of this problem.
  • dieseljunkiedieseljunkie Member Posts: 1
    I've always found that the guys at Banks Power are pretty knowledgeable about diesel air intake. I would start there. Best of luck!
  • filipemfilipem Member Posts: 1
    on our sierra we added the aem intake and we have the same issue like you. the engine check light came on and has stayed on for the last few hundred miles. we didn't know about this before buying it, the different reviews for the brute force never mentioned it. our friend is going to try his scangauge to read what the code is but sounds like it will probably be the maf sensor like yours. how did you get it resolved?
  • janachovskyjanachovsky Member Posts: 1
    There is a push in primer i believe on the top of where fuel filter screws in, I had to crack the fuel filter open slightly, have somebody else crank the engine while u are furiously pumping till u get good fuel flow, Stop cranking motor retighten fuel filter and ur done. I had the same problem a few yrs ago, and that took care of it.
  • mike6187mike6187 Member Posts: 2
    My first try in Banks Power, I was disappointed to the guy who handled my order. The reason why I shifted to other Air Intakes.
  • almurrayalmurray Member Posts: 1
    I have just finished altering a Hino bus into a RV.
    The engineers relocated the air intake from half way up the bus to a level which is near the bottom of the bus near the rear, about 200mm from the rear and 200mm from the base of the body. It is a 1984 model.
    Does this present a problem which should be remedied. Will the extra dust/rain etc be likely to present a problem please.
    I intend to put a turbo on as well.