Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rob111rob111 Member Posts: 7
    I changed my wifes rotors with slotted/driller aftermarket rotors..$150/pair, and new pads. So far my wifes only complaint is at 40mph they are a little noisy but they stop the car, and it has been 15000 miles so far with no issues including COSTCO using air torque wrench after rotating/balancing the tires AND the dealer doing a four wheel alignment.

Same thing though...knock on wood.

Cheers.
  • badger11badger11 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 Vue with 3.5L engine. It has 80,000 miles. I started to have a bad squeek last year (when car rocked side to side when cornering). It is now consistently squeeking/groaning whenever I go over rough pavement and car rocks side to side or back and forth. What could be the problem? I am willing to take it to the dealership but want to have a feeling for the problem before giving them a blank check. I wonder if it is bad shocks or shocks (unlikely since it does not seem to "bobble") or bad wheel hardware -- maybe control arms? I am not good with car stuff so my amateur diagnosis is probably off base. The squeeking is really loud. It seems to be out of the front area of my car -- probably near the front wheels. Thanks for any help.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Hey Badger....

2 things first....

1. Swaybar links shot...they're the rods that attach the swaybar to the struts...2 bolts, easy remove & replace

2. But try this first: At the top of the struts under the hood, if you look into where the strut is bolted on, there is a rubber bushing at the top with slots all around...squirt a little white lithium grease into each of the slots, might make your squeak go away and its a cheap fix.

Don't be surprised if the struts are soon needing replacement - even though I don't think they're the source of your noises, 80K miles on the struts in these Vues seems to be the top end of their longevity.
  • badger11badger11 Member Posts: 5
    Excellent recommendation. I will try the grease......and will see about strut replacement. I greatly appreciate the comments.
  • chilipepper1chilipepper1 Member Posts: 3
    I recently had to have this done. It cost me about $450.00 to get both cables replaced at the dealership.
  • doreenrdoreenr Member Posts: 8
    When I bought my 05 Vue I had issues with the rotors,but they resolved the issue (thank God). For your stains, I had Saturn use the Sominize on the seat at purchase time. Now that the warranty is over I use my Hoover rug machine and use the solution for rugs from Hoover . They come out as if Saturn did them. Good Luck.
  • chilipepper1chilipepper1 Member Posts: 3
    I originally posted in March but I have now had MORE problems with my Saturn. This past Friday, just about 6 weeks from when I got both shifter cables replaced I was driving out in the middle of nowhere and I came to a stop after cruising a while & I couldn't shift my car in to 1st or 2nd gear. After GREAT manhandling I was able to get it in to 3rd, then 4th and 5th. I took it in to Saturn in Abilene. They tried to tell me that the slave cylinder was going out AGAIN (I already had it replaced at 19,000 miles). I didn't have the money or time to spend in Abilene (I was only there for a conference/weekend) so I transferred my car to Firestone. They looked it and said there was nothing wrong with the Slave Cylinder or Clutch. They said there was air in the line & bled the clutch. They saved me $900.00.

I drove it almost all the way back to Austin when it started grinding while in 3rd gear only. End of story, my Saturn VUE is now at the Saturn of Austin for the 5th time in 54,000 miles with a tentative diagnosis of the sycros is going out in the transmission (which was replaced at 22, 000 already).

Any advice anyone?
  • my05vuestinksmy05vuestinks Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Vue is at the dealership for the 4th time in 13 months. First it was the fuel pump, two weeks later, the fuel pump relay switch. This past January, it was the CD changer/radio that quit working. Now, it is in for repairs again. At first, they claimed it was the onboard computer and were going to replace it. They put the new computer in, but the symptoms (reduced engine power, sputtering) remained. Now they are speculating that it is the engine switch. For a vehicle with 25,000 miles on it, I would not think this is common. What should I be expecting as far as repair time, since the dealership has no idea?
  • ess3ess3 Member Posts: 2
    I had the sputtering and the cruise control went out. The dealership did an upgrade to the computer software (supposedly) and that resolved my problem for now.
  • skuterdudeskuterdude Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2004 Saturn VUE.......the A/C compressor has gone bad........I can do A/C work but I've never done A/C work on a transverse mounted V6.........and I can't figure out how to get the A/C compressor out of the engine compartment.........once I have it replaced I have no problem evacuating, refilling and leak testing.........

It looks to me like I may need to pull the radiator to get it out?

Any advice on how to get the compressor out?
  • broonsbroons Member Posts: 1
    I just got a used 2003 Saturn vue, 3.0 , 6cyl automatic. Can somebody please help me get instructions to change the transmission fluid. Also, information on what type of fluid and tools I need. Appreciate the help in advance.
  • summer08summer08 Member Posts: 2
    I would follow the manual recommendation. Hate to rain on your parade but 2003 's have had serious problems with the VTI transmissions. I have one with 20,000 miles on it and it just broke - 3 weeks after warranty expired. I'm finding out alot about the transmissions so just be careful if you want to protect your car.
  • tofer11tofer11 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, i think we are going to be going through the same thing here. What were your indications that your compressor was bad. have you made any headway on finding how to remove and replace your compressor. My pressure indications were at idle 70 and 250ish and at fast idle 50 and 300. It blows warm air at idle and blows 55-60 degrees at highway speeds. sound familiar?
  • nvealenveale Member Posts: 3
    Hi Chilipepper, I have a Saturn VUE 2005 automatic, 4 cyl., front wheel drive, no bells and whistles. I have same problem as you with rain stains, young children snacking etc. I mended a burn hole with a curved needle and two threads of different greys to match.
    Next issue is for anyone with info:
    Lease coming due, not going to keep. Had inspection at dealer last week cos I heard a metal grinding noise front passenger side after being on highway for 15-20 mins. Noise would come then go maybe 3 times. In all might have heard it 6 times. Now gone. Dealer inspected car, says front brakes and pads need changing as well as the links. Dealer cost for work about $600CAD. HELP!!! I'm not keeping it anyway, so need to get this fixed. Got a quote from local garage, my mistake showed him dealer price, an hour later he called to say his price was $580.62 plus tax. I smell a rat. Need a new garage I think (I learned my lesson about showing numbers).
  • nvealenveale Member Posts: 3
    Think I have same problem see my post
  • cdwaldmancdwaldman Member Posts: 1
    Got it 6/30 of this year....been to dealer more than 5 times for a problem they can't seem to locate...i took it back Monday of this week to be told later that there was a burnt piston. I have a warranty on the car. Is it worth it to let them replace the engine. Should I be getting a used engine or a new one. Wht recourse do I have. Someone please help me.
  • slslindeslslinde Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2003 (6 cylinder!) 5 speed automatic and my transmission hesitates like it does not know what gear it wants to go in some times severe the rpms will rev up to 4500 rpm way hi then shoot down to the normal range.

is the transmission going out or could it be something simple?

it is out of warranty and has 75 000 miles on it
    the bad thing is it was doing it (not so severe ) 6 months ago i tooke it to the dealer and they said it was a clogged or bad fuel injector, thats hard to beleive now after it went out of its extended warranty this happens
    Before you panic - sometimes the Aisin tranny will act funny and the RPMs will flare like you described when the trans fluid level is low - you might want to check it...
    I checked the fluid level while engine 2was running and it is exactly between the hot and cold markings, is this a bad sign or could it be the transmission screen is possibley clogged? this engine reving does not happen often frequently but does happen many times during the week when driven
    I don't have personal experience with it as mine is a 5 speed manual but:

From what I've read, there are a couple of causes:

- Fluid level - make sure the trans is HOT and then check the fluid level. Make sure its right at the hot marking. Don't over fill it. And turn the engine OFF before you check it. (I know it sounds funny to have it off to check the trans fluid but apparently its the correct way to do it)
    - There was a shift recalibration for the 2-3 shift...basically the dealer flashes the memory of the computer to do the update.
    - Corrosion in the wiring harness
    - I've also read that the transmission valve body may need to be replaced but it seems REALLY uncommon
    - If your air filter has more than 15,000 miles, change it, apparently if the filter is getting clogged the MAF gives the PCM some readings that it doesn't expect and it sometimes can cause this problem.

From what I understand, the flare is caused by the 3rd gear clutch releasing and the 4th gear clutch taking its sweet old time to engage. Its not caused by transmission slip. While its probably annoying, it shouldn't cause any damage to the trans.

Good Luck

John :shades:
  • desertvuedesertvue Member Posts: 13
    My heated seats stopped working... Can't seem to figure out why. I checked the fuse and it is ok. Any suggestions?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I would guess that it's either a faulty switch or thermostat. Anyone else had this problem?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • janromjanrom Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Saturn Vue Redline had the drivers heated seat break within the first two years and right after the 35,000 warranty ran out. Since I lived in Las Vegas I didn't use it much and was frosted that the dealer told me it was the seat unit and would cost over $500 to replace the seat unit. $500 for a toasty tush seemed crazy, but the fact that it failed made me steamed everytime I thought about it. I bought a $25.00 heated seat at Pep Boys to solve me problem.

If it is still under warranty, take it back and make the dealer fix it! It's too costly to do yourself for a creature comfort.
  • janromjanrom Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me about a Saturn warranty to get them to replace the transmission. It failed at 91,000 miles two weeks ago while I was driving 65mph on the Parkway. The tach surged, the light went on, and the transmission died all within 15 seconds off one another.

I had it towed to a mechanic, and he said that the transmission is blown. I don't know what that involves, since some of the posts suggest that it has several components that could be at fault.

The mechanic told me that the transmission they used for the Vue Red line was a Honda racing transmission that they abandoned due to persistent failures. Does anybody have any direct knowledge about this or had a failure and resolution they could offer guidance?

Thanks
  • aqcaqc Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys
    I need help to find where are located the part to check the transmission fluid on the saturn Vue aut 4 cil FWD ??
    please if somebody can send me a picture of this area !

aaronjr01@hotmail.com

thanks
  • tpm3tpm3 Member Posts: 2
    Turned my key about 3/4's and the engine tried to start but did not completely start. As the egine was winding down I quickly turned my key back to the off position and turned it to the start position again. That's when all hell broke loose. My engine block warning light came on and my engine was sputtering and shaking. When I put it into drive and tried to move the vehicle my engine was still sputtering and shaking and I had to put the gas pedal to the floor just to advance the vehicle. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? This happened Friday afternoon & my Vue is sitting in the Saturn dealership parking lot & won't be checked out by the Saturn folks until Monday when they will run diagnostics check ($65).
  • marshall15marshall15 Member Posts: 1
    I have removed many a inside door panel in my 38 years of repairing vehicles but this vehicle has to be my first stump. All I want to do is get inside the drivers door and remove the electric motor as it bit the dust right in the middle of a downpour. Most vehicles have pop off panels with careful effort but this VUE panel doesn't seem to have the same pry and snaps. Is it rocket science or do I have to remove the plastic outside panel in order to get inside the door. Would someone know what type of hold system these panels are attached with, I don't want to pry to hard for fear of cracking the panel or inserts . This is my first post on eds so hoping this be the place to get some sort of help on my dilema. I too am one of the "VUE money pitters" with air cond., trani, and electrical downfalls and am now going to try and save a little by doing somethings my self since labour costs are the real ouches.
  • Hiker67Hiker67 Member Posts: 10
    Check your manual for instructions on how to reset the oil change light. I have an '04 Vue we bought used, but it came with an '03 manual. The '03 says there's a button under the hood, in the fuse box. The '04 has no such button. After I change the oil, I put the key in, turn it to the "on" position (don't crank the engine), and then I step on the gas pedal a few times. Since I don't have a manual for the '04, it's a trial-and-error experience every time I change the oil. When I do it successfully, the Change Oil Light will blink a few times, then go out. Good for another 8,000 miles, but check the oil level occasionally.
  • desertvuedesertvue Member Posts: 13
    That is correct. I have a 2004 vue that I bought new. The way that you reset the light is to, turn the key to the on position, depress the gas pedal "3" times, the oil light will then flash continuously. Turn key off and then start car. Done.
  • abnfamilymanabnfamilyman Member Posts: 1
    I am currently having this same exact issue and I am planning on taking it to the dealer asap. I'm wondering what your problem was and how much did the dealership cost to fix it?
  • WasHappy03VueWasHappy03Vue Member Posts: 8
    Bought the Vue used (first mistake, no warranty) but after dealing with little things like unsafe tires on the car and alignment, i was Very Very happy with my new "baby". I got the oil changed on it regularly and did the needed things to keep it nice. I noticed soon after I bought it that when making tight turns it squeals. sounds more like the steering wheel whining that it doesn't want to turn (I figured t might have an O-Ring that needs to be oiled and let it be) I got used to the whining, but about a week ago the dash lights flashed off and back on in a split second. I would have thought it was my eyes but the security light came on (i don't have an alarm system on the car so it caught my eye)
    I was 45 miles from home so I kept driving and called the spouse, he said it is probably a fuse and to keep driving home. after I turned the car off at home it seemed to have reset itself as it didn't happen again. Well here I am Christmas day driving home from the daughter in laws house and it does it again, this time the spouse got to see it. after the first time it happened I opened the manual and it said the "security" light comes on when the wrong key is used it is a theft deterrant option that will cut gas supply to the car. (oh great I own the car and it is giong to lock me out?!? so I dug further, as I was still driving, obviously had gas.) I read further in the manual that it could be a fuse. Spouse adv me that fuses don't repair themselves... light light bulbs if they blow they are gone (yes I am a blonde:) ) so if it was a fuse the dash lights would be out. not a fuse....
    so tonight when all this happened it did the flash thing and security light stayed on for a few seconds. then it waited a while and after about 8 times it decided to show it self by flashing the dash lights and then all the gauges went dead, no spedometer, no engine temp, no RPM's and no gas gauge (OMG it is locking me out!!!) luckily the car kept driving and I didn't panic out loud. (*never let the car sence your fear!* lol) after the gauges shut down the lights were still on, we wewre able to keep driving so I did. The spouse turned on the radio and boom the gauges popped back to position and were working again... that is when the spouse decided this has to be a wiring issue so we kept driving (almost home) about a block from my home the gauges went dead again and I noticed the steering was getting tight, I have power steering so when it starts acting like my old "armstrong Steering" truck I get nervouse, but we have the grandbaby so it is straight home. once int he driveway safely I pulled the steering colum cover off and under a quick visual inspection all seems fine... I will be looking at it more under daylight hours and spouse is a very qualified repair tech for all sorts of stuff and has all the fun tools so I am hopeing we will figure it out in the morning, but I am also hopeing someone has had this issue and will say "oh that happened to me, pull this set of wiring harnesses and see if there is corrosion...this is how I fixed it, oh and it was really cheap" :) I know i am asking alot :blush: but i love this car and am a flat broke car owner because 2 years ago when I bought this car the dealership I bought it from saw a sweet young woman that they could take full advantage of and they did :mad: I am sure the sales guy got a great commision... but that is neither here nor there. If anyone has any idea how to fix this car I would be very greatful! ;) sorry for the book, but I figure more info is better than none.
  • WagFix60WagFix60 Member Posts: 1
    Any luck on this Marshall15? I'm trying to accomplish the same thing in order to replace the power window motor. I spent the better part of a day figuring out how to get the inside panel completely apart..but you can't change the motor from the inside unless you used to work for the circus. I got the outside panel to nearly come off..but can't get the door handle off. Found a blog that says you have to pop out the plastic pins that hold on the door handle, but I could not get them out. If I could get the door handle off, which allows the panel to come off..then you still have to go through the cardboard protector which has been glued to the frame as a weather insulator..will likely have to buy a new one to replace...what a job!
    Your body control module (BCM) likely needs to be replaced, you're not the first to have this problem- about $ 500-700, dealer only repair since they have the equipment to reprogram it.

There have been a couple of cases I've seen where the ground points under the hood were corroded and once they were cleaned and reattached it cured the problem. Might be something worth trying before replacing the BCM.

Good Luck :shades:
  • moretjmoretj Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2002 Vue and today I noticed that the dash indicator for the daytime running lights started to flicker on starting and then disappeared. Sure enough the day time running lights no longer were on. I checked the owners manual and it doesn't seem that its easily fixed by replacing a fuse but rather is part of a relay. Does anyone know how to repair this issue??? Thanks
    The relay is located in the underhood fuse block. Its rectangular and grey & its labeled, you can't miss it. To replace it you pull it straight out and do the opposite to replace.
  • songbird02songbird02 Member Posts: 1
    I tried to put my car in 1st gear and the shaft went limp (like a noodle). Is this a simple repair or do I need to take it to a mechanic?
    My steering has a ratcheting sound when turning some time s not all the time only in the winter that i can tell. Is the electronic steering going out?
    Your problem is cable related - either you broke the cable or you broke the connector under the shifter. If you're mechanically inclined, neither is a difficult repair.
  • chuck83chuck83 Member Posts: 2
    We are having the same issue and the dealer does not know what to do to fix it. Were ou ever able to solve this problem ?
    Mine believe it or not ended up being the battery!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you own a Saturn and are willing to talk with a reporter about your experience, please contact jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, February 20, 2008.
  • bad_vue_herebad_vue_here Member Posts: 2
    Hi, so last Wed. I left a doc's appt. 30 miles away from home, and when I left to get in the car, I engaged the clutch and it went straight to the floor. I couldn't shift and barely got the car started. Transmission fluid (I am guessing) everywhere under the car. My view is a FWD 4 cylinder manual - no bells, no whistles - and has 42,000 miles on it. Had it towed to the nearest dealer. Dealer says that I need a whole clutch rebuild. Well, they ended up doing master and slave cylinders and something else, for a total of about 1200$. It was warrantied.

Picked it up on Friday night, and it felt a little weird. Drove home, no problems, didn't take it out again until Sunday (today). Started it up, and it was cold. Heard a high pitched whining sound, kind of like if one has an ampliphier that gets feedback noise when the RPMs go up. Then, 1/2 block from home, I notice the odometer light and the day-time running light go out. No lights on the dash. Get to the stop light by my house, put the car in neutral and everything pops back on. Start going again, and about 20 mph (or so), just before getting into 2nd gear, all the lights go off again. Put it into neutral, they all pop back on.

Then, after stopping and starting again, (same thing above), now the speedometer stops gauging the speed at about 20 mph. If I put the car in neutral for a second and coast, everything starts to work again and the speedometer jumps up to the actual speed (about 35).

I go home and tell my husband, and an hour later he goes out to drive it. Nothing. Now it is fine, works like a gem.

But, the front end feels loose. I had some suspension bolts tightened a couple of years ago, but it feels all loose again. Did the dealer do this when they supposedly fixed my clutch? Or is this just another problem on top of the other one in a lucky time frame?

Any advice? I dropped the darn thing off back at the dealer today, and will speak to the service manager tomorrow. I am ready to just blow this thing up.
  • rpggmgrpggmg Member Posts: 1
    Hi: I was just told the head gasket was leaking oil on my 2006 Vue 4cyl. Anyone know how much this will cost? Thanks
  • mom23mom23 Member Posts: 4
    Wouldn't this be covered under warranty?
  • mom23mom23 Member Posts: 4
    We still have an 02 Vue, One of the first Vue's out. Just had it in the shop for catalyic converter replaced. STILL covered under warranty. 8 years/80,000 miles. We have just 60 thousand on it.

We also have an 06 Vue. No problems yet, just 15,000 miles on it.
  • matchmaninvamatchmaninva Member Posts: 1
    I have found a replacement throttle body, and am going to replace it this weekend. Any tips or things to look out for? The ehow site said that you need to complete the automatic relearn procedure for the Engine Control Module. Do I have to do anything special or does it just "automatically" relearn? I can't find any on-line help to date and i don't want to spend the $300 the shop wants to repair this.
  • missyj1missyj1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Saturn Vue (2.2 L) 5 speed, 2wd. About 2 months ago, we started having a problem whereby the A/C would stall the car completely if it was at a stop. If we were moving, it was fine but you could tell it was dragging. We took it to the Saturn dealer and they hooked it up to their computer and it came back as the catalytic converter so we had it replaced. I got it back today and, while it is not stalling, the RPM's drop down to between -0- and 1 with the AC on. It doesn't stall all the way but it runs rough. I also noticed that this only lasts for about the first 20 seconds that the AC is turned on. Any suggestions??
  • claudiucetclaudiucet Member Posts: 4
    I do have a Saturn VUE 2002,engine size 2.2.I have the check engine light on for a few weeks,and today i had the codes retreived,and I really don`t know what to replace.These are the codes
    P0378-Timing reference high resolution Signal B intermitent erratic pulse
    P0778-Pressure control solenoid B electrical
    B0387-Crankshaft position sensor B circuit low
    Also there are so other codes which the computer sais-undefined.
    I am sure the rest of the codes are practically triggered by only one code.My assumption is the Crankshaft position sensor could be the problem(and could be an electrical problem,maybe not the sensor itself)So is there anybody who can give me a clue,does anybody had ever had the same code(codes)?Please any suggestion is really appreciated
    NOTE-The vehicle runs just fine!No rough idle,stars very nice.
  • splitknucklessplitknuckles Member Posts: 2
    I've messed wit a lot of these newer gm cars and trucks in building street toys. Doesn't make me a mec-a-nic, but a couple of things I have learned:
    1. All engine control and body control sensor grounds run through the sensor into the ECM/PCM/BCM (computer) and then to ground.
    2. When and if there is a bad or loose or insufficient ground, the gauges and some time lights will go nuts because they are seeking to find a different route to ground by.
    That being said, check, or have your mechanic check for loose grounds or bad wires. If the vehicle has ever been in a collision, check around that area. If a new part has been added or replaced do likewise.

Gremlins are everywhere, kill'em on site!
  • splitknucklessplitknuckles Member Posts: 2
    I was responding to item #46, sorry