Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Freelander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• elliegunsellieguns Member Posts: 14
    Own a 2003 freelander G4 edition 4500thosand miles was told I need a new engine LR declined my warrenty trying to say I did not have the right maitaince was bull. thet really jerk you around when you are a girl. my husband is talking with them they want 6,600.00 for a new engine there is a cooling system falt. said the oil was like a milk shake the car was just in for ticking sounds in november they did the last oil change at hoffman estates LR I am ready to rent a lemon suit and stand out side with a sign wont honor warrenty do you think there arrest a cops wife? next step lawsuit
  • arizonamanarizonaman Member Posts: 4
    I just turned 82K and my freelander is going great - however, the messages above freak me abit - are there any more satisfied freelander customers out there?

On the other hand, I would not buy one of these used unless I was going to work on it myself, which I would not attempt.

I wonder what 'click & clack' think of these trucks?

I have been lucky I guess, the 'command shift' is great, the freelander handles great in the snow and off road, and it still looks almost like new, as long as you don't look at the salad-oil dressing and burger king stains on the back seat from my teenagers. (I ahve the front seats covered with waterproof seatcovers). :):)
  • arizonamanarizonaman Member Posts: 4
    hey ellieguns - I would look at legal options also - don't let them push you around

AZ
    yes I am looking into Lawyers. I believe there design on this engine 2.4 liter 24 valve is a recall which would coast them millions. please email me if interested. My lawyer wants me to wait and see what my denial is. I had to get affidavits signed for all of my oil changes. they think someone put regular oil in and not synthetic. If that was the case the oil would not look like a milk shake. the coolant leaked in the engine. they were the last ones to change the oil plus my engine light was on and engine was ticking but ran a check said it was ok :lemon:
    MY sad story. I had a 2003 freelander. with 45 thousand miles. coolant was leaking into oil. Lr denied me 2x's. which took almost 3 weeks of no car. and I followed all of the warranty rules. They said they took pictures and there was sludge in the engine. when everything looks like a milk shake how can you tell ? I was so mad. I had the car towed to a non LR dealer. They said LR changed all of the fluids in car and you cannot tell there is anything wrong. I traded the car in for a new mazda. Lucky that I did not have to pay for a new engine. I did take a loss the car did not hold resale. I was so finished with LR. When another dealership goes to certify my freelander which is still under warranty It will be easier for them to fight with LR from what I was told. I tell everyone I know my story. Freelanders were made from 2002-2005 thats alot of cars back at them. I know I will recover the money I lost from them. It will take time. Fix the car and get rid of it. I loved my car, but could not afford or take the stress.
  • kelesmomkelesmom Member Posts: 11
    My 2003 Freelander is my 3rd LR, purchasing close to 90k from LR. I had taken it into the shop, still under warranty for the same issue of over heating, 2 times prior to it going out of warranty. The engine, at 61k miles finally crapped out, "blown head gasket"! it was not holding ANY fluids, it was smoking and I took it to the closest auto tech that I could trust. NOT being a LR dealership BECAUSE the closest one is over 1hr away. Due to the fact that a NON LANDROVER took the engine out, and then towed it to the dealership, LR refuses to pay for anything!! I have a car with no engine and no clue of what the heck to do~!
    "THANKS FOR YOUR CUSTOMER LOYALTY, LAND ROVER! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!" :sick:
    ME! I've posted so many times, and will continue. This is my 2nd Freelander, and I've owned 1 Discovery. I knew better than to keep a LR after warranty, but I had no choice. Now I have a Freelander sitting at a LR dearship with no engine. the head gaskets are blown. the sad part is that I had taken it in to a LR dealership for the exact problem, 2x's. they are not paying a darn thing. :cry:
    Thanks you for your response,and I too am very sorry for your problems. The sad part is, I LOVED LR and I was a HUGE and LOYAL customer.
    I am going to have to take a voluntary repo on it. I have no other choice. LR has closed my case, and is refusing anything. I have a care with no engine, and after speaking with my lender, WACHOVIA, who was wonderful btw, this was their suggestion. I still have to research it a bit, but I don't think I am going to have a choice. Unfortunately, the lemon law doesn't affect my situation.
    Good Luck and again,thanks for your input. LR SUCKS and I will continue to tell everyone. AND I have a really big mouth, working with alot of people who love SUV's to take off roading....hhhmmm :mad:
  • hrevillehreville Member Posts: 4
    My 2002 Freelander only has 28,000 miles on it. The car overheated and now they are telling me it needs a new engine! They want $7800 and the trade in is only around $10 - $12k. Anyone have any suggestions? It sounds as if this is a defect in the manufacting of the car. Anyone actually try to sue Land Rover yet?
    I am SORRY for what you are experiencing with Land Rover. If you read through the Freelander Forum, hopefully you'll find a person who is gathering names for a Class Action Law Suit. I would LOVE to sue, however, I don't have the money. My lender is suggesting that I do a voluntary repo. They said that it won't go against my credit, in a way that I wasn't able to make payments, it's very clear that it was a voluntary recall, and the reason is stated. I am thinking that's what I'm going to have to do.
    Any ideas...I'm listening with both ears.
    :mad:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in Repossession Stories and Questions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I dont know if that is a good idea. You dont want to mess your credit up. Try towing the car to a shop not LR. price a used engine. Its half the price. I know it stinks. then trade. Listen LR told me I needed a new engine. I had the car towed to a shop. LR said the lower bearings were burnt up and sludge was found and oil looked like a milk shake. When the other shop looked at my car they said LR changed oil and coolant. The car was ticking and than went away. So I went shopping.
    you can get married and use spouses credit to by a car :shades:
    funny you should mention that....I will be getting married, in the very near future.
    thanks for your advice. I feel I have no other choice but to do the voluntary repo. I can't afford another 10k on my note.
    the whole thing just makes me mad as h#%^ :mad:
    OK I want you to think of this. A used engine is about 3 thousand. dont Have this done at LR. to file a law suite it does not coast any money . Take the time go into lemon laws they will refer a lawyer. or your yellow pages. you really dont want to start a marriage out with bad credit. Then the other person has control of you. and you dont want anything thrown back in your face its called cover your [non-permissible content removed] always ;)
    I love that there is a continuous LR banner ad running next to this forum. Has anyone started a class action law suit yet?
    Thanks! Great advice. I have checked into the lemon law, a bit. I do have a couple questions; Does the lemon law pertain to the State in which you made the purchase? or Where I am living, now?
    I don't understand your comment on the law suit. What do you mean it doesn't cost any money. Please explain. And boy do I agree with the credit/marriage thing. LR is NOT willing to work on it, which I wouldn't want them to, anyway. It has been towed back to Dan's (auto tech), and I asked him to look for a "brand new, used engine, European of course!"
    I look forward to hearing some responses to my questions. :sick:
    this stinks! Why can't you trade it in? :lemon:
    COUNT ME IN!! This 2003 Freelander is my 3rd Land Rover! I've owned 1 brand new 2005 Discovery, which I loved. and this is my 2nd Freelander. My first I had NO problems with. I loved it. I did know however NEVER to keep a LR past it's warranty. I guess I should've listened to myself.
    Seriously, let me k :lemon: now if anything comes of the law suit
    I did email to be on the list. I haven't heard back from her. I do have a friend he is a class action lawyer downtown chicago. he will file ,but I need more people. I need to give out his email. when i post his email address. The host deletes it
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And the host emailed you and explained why posting third party contact info is frowned up, and suggested that you have people just contact you instead. That way we won't get yelled at by someone whose email address was posted on the net without(?) their permission. ;)

Use your CarSpace email account and you'll avoid some of the spam you might get by posting your email in here (or mark your email public in your profile).
  • acrawfo6acrawfo6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I have had a series of intermittent problems with my 2002 used LRFL ever since I purchased. My warranty expired late 2006, so now I am very nervous about what issues I may be facing. The 1st set of problems were that my car would not start at any given time. One time, I took it to the dealership to have the problem diagnosed and they couldn't find the issue...So, I picked my car up - - and it stalled 5 mins away from the dealership. This went on for about 2 - 4 months. They finally found out that I had a cam sensor that required replacement and luckily, this was under warranty. Then, my brake pads required replacement...luckily, warranty addressed this. Now, I fear I'm facing the worst of it all without the coverage of warranty. My car filled with toxic fumes over a month ago - - it was antifreeze. I realized that my car is burning coolant at an abnormal pace and I've had to refill it on a weekly basis. My front lights are starting to dim, making it difficult to achieve visibility for driving at night. I used to love my car. I was so excited to get it...Now, I hate her and actually drive my boyfriends car most of the time... :lemon:
  • goldberg39goldberg39 Member Posts: 1
    IF YOU FILE THE LAWSUIT COUNT ME IN..I HAVE NOTHING BUT HEADACHES WITH MY FREELANDER FIRST THE REAR PASSENGER WINDOWS MOTORS BURNT OUT NOW IT KEEPS OVERHEATING..I LOVE MY TRUCK BUT IT IS A MONEY SUCKING LEMON..FINDING PARTS ARE THE HARDEST PART OF OWNING ONE..
  • tacoma_jimtacoma_jim Member Posts: 1
    I think my Freelander is great. When I do have a problem, I'll take it in to the dealer and they take care of it thoroughly and promptly. If they need to keep it I'll get a Jaguar or Volvo as a loaner but can't wait to get my FL back. It's a fun car to drive. The last time it snowed the car was extraordinary. I even took it out in the field to see how it did on the snow covered hills; I never got stuck. I took my family of three on a 4,000 mile two week road trip through six states with luggage, food and supplies, and camping gear. It was impressive on and off the road.
    I thought my freelander was great too, until it overheated once (at 28,000 miles) and I was told it is $9100 to replace the engine. Mind you te trade in value is about $10k. I'm glad your freelander has had no problems thus far, but my advice to you is to sell it before it does!!!

PS. I found out it is ten people to file a class action law suit. Only need a few more names! Let me know if you are interested!
  • cmarsh2cmarsh2 Member Posts: 3
    Contact Bridget at this email address to join forces for a class action law suit. Count me in. I have the worst Freelander in the history of earth.

Bridget OR [landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com]
  • wildroverwildrover Member Posts: 18
    Count me in ! This truck is putting miles on me ! UGH ! :mad:
  • lemon44lemon44 Member Posts: 2
    please count me in...I have had nothing but problems with my 2002 Freelander...50,000 miles...new transmission, cam shaft seal and now it is going back to the dealer for.....coolant and overheating. Please email me at atwalke@yahoo.com. Something needs to be done about this vehicle. LR would not help me with my transmission, my veh was 2 mo. over the warranty....please, lets do something about this.
  • atalexaatalexa Member Posts: 6
    The transmission went out on my 2002 Freelander four months after I bought it and 500 miles out of warranty. Since then there have been no major problems except for some overheating. This turned out to be the expansion tank and cap. The parts person at my dealer told me that this is a known problem and LR will not do a recall. They did recommend using a different tank, but I continue to have problems with a coolant leak that I cannot track down. It looks like the expansion tank cap might be the problem. Does anyone else have any experience with this? :confuse:
  • audiodudeaudiodude Member Posts: 2
    Hi I am new to the forum. My 2003 Freelander looks to have a blown head gasket. It has 68000 miles on it. I would be very interested in a class action lawsuit.
  • audiodudeaudiodude Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 freelander with the same issues and would be interested in a class action.
    I have been trying to contact lawyers and it has been hard to find one to take on this case. If anyone has any leads I would be happy to contact them.
  • cheaplandercheaplander Member Posts: 9
    Please let me know if you find one, I am very unhappy about the 2002 HSE Freelander I owned and all the stuff went wrong and now transmission on top of it, it is really bad.
  • lrnnclrnnc Member Posts: 1
    Beware of the unexplained coolant leak. We had the same problem from date of purchase on a 03 Freelander. We took it back repeatedly to the dealer but they could find nothing. Months later, it resulted in us needing a new engine. Fortunately for us it still under the preowned certified warranty, but they would not have replaced the engine had we not insisted that our concerns be documented each time it was taken to the dealership.

What the mechanic told us was a sleeve inside the engine was slipping causing the coolant to disappear with no explanation because could not see any coolant leaks. When the sleeve finally wore out - the engine was toast.

so, all Im saying is the overheating and coolant leak is a definite problem. A new engine through LR is 9500. We are now facing a transmission replacement. The problems never end.
  • ga0417ga0417 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2002 Freelander about 3 months ago and today
    the transmission went out. How much does a replacement cost? This is just not right. It sounds like there are way too many problems with the 2002's.
    The replacement for mine 18 months ago was around $4300 and that was for a rebuilt transmission.
    Thanks for the input. The coolant from mine doesn't disappear, it winds up on the ground, the problem is trying to trace where it is leaking from The cooling system on this thing is pretty complicated and some of the hoses are hidden beneath the exhaust manifold. Interestingly, a week or so ago the temperature gauge shot up. I shut the vehicle down and checked the reservoir. It was about half full. After letting it cool for a half hour or so I took the cap off and some of the fluid evacuated the reservoir. I put more in and it hasn't leaked or overheated since. I beginning to think the thermostat was sticking and plan to go ahead and replace it. I'd love to trade the thing off, but it's hard to do when it's dripping coolant.
  • tyacostatyacosta Member Posts: 1
    My transmission went out on the 2002 Freelander S model just 2 years after I bought it. Fortunately it was under warranty, but it was still a shock, as the car barely had 15,000 miles on it. Then there have been various minor electrical issues and hose replacements, but now I have a serious issue. I also had the mysterious coolant leak. After almost a week at the dealership, I picked up and drove it home, about 2 miles away. The next morning, the car wouldn't start. The technician and service manager came to my house, rolled back the car, and there wasn't anything on the ground such as motor oil. After they took it back to the shop, they called me and told me I had a broken cam shaft! People who know cars have told me they think that they didn't replace the motor with motor oil which they had to drain when they were looking for the coolant leak. Of course the car is now out of warranty--just 3months out, and the damn thing only had 36,700 miles on it. The dealership is talking to Land Rover Co. to see what they can do "to help me out", but I don't think that any of this is should fall on me financially. Any suggestions?!!
  • trburtontrburton Member Posts: 22
    I babied my Freelander for 55000 miles. Not a scratch. Never replaced Rotors & replaced pads only once. Loved the handling & snow traction (800 miles from TN to DC & back in 8 inches). No problems until transmission started slipping at 45000. It was replaced under warranty. Engine made noise when I picked it up at Dealer. Noise continued in cold weather at startup. Dealer said "not to worry". In August noise started & engine disintegrated. LR said no help to replace my engine- "out of warranty". My suggestion to you is to join lawsuit & tow it to junk yard.
  • wilreyeswilreyes Member Posts: 1
    I have had my freelander for 1 1/2 yrs and I already replaced battery, BRAKES & ROTORS 2 times, at 12 and 24K. I complained with the manufacturer and they said "the car is too heavy and is common they wear pads fast", I send letters and e-mial and they didn't care and just said "is not covered by warranty". I was considering a Land Rover LR3 to replace my other vehicle, but since all of this cars have this problems, please think twice or get ready to have brakes replace often.
  • tiggertymetiggertyme Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2002 Freelander HSE. I am amazed at the horror stories that I am now reading. I wish I would have seen them BEFORE purchasing this vehicle. I just picked it up from the shop (needed to replace the two timing belts and water pump) but now that I get the car back, the rear window is not wanting to stay up. It beeps and goes right back down. I have gone several places trying to figure out how to correct this problem but all of the "fixed" that have been provided ...DON'T WORK! I have already put the car online for sale because I don't want to deal with it anymore. Love the look, hate all of the EXPENSIVE problems. I'd almost rather have a car note....
  • warrantedwarranted Member Posts: 1
    Adding one more confirmation -- '02 Freelander, coolant leak, engine blows -- so does Land Rover. We have all been cheated of the "value" we thought we were paying for. They know this engine is a POS and do NOTHING to help the people they have ripped off. If there is a class action, please let me know.
  • 2003g42003g4 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if there was anyway you and I could discuss the issue you had/have with your 2003 Freelander. I am working with Lawyers to get LandRover to buy back mine or a cash settlement b/c after several visits trying to resolve coolant just disappearing they replaced my engine. My email address is slcs1969@comcast.net.
  • hanzelhanzel Member Posts: 2
    I am in Bloomington IL and am having problems with peoria landrover. my Landrover Freelander just after turning over 50,000 miles has blown. They are quoting me $6100 for a new engine and are not even providing a rental car. i am so lost! Any insight on this would be of great help! right now we are waiting a decision by landrover of america and i am not holding my breath!
  • hanzelhanzel Member Posts: 2
    i am interested in working with a lawyer, and do not think class action suit should be far off. my engine is totally blown! freelander 2003!
  • crissiecrissie Member Posts: 1
    Hello there. I am a soldier stationed in Germany and currently in possession of the worst vehicle ever produced. I am the original owner of a 2002 LR Freelander. European specifications and regular service. While the truck was under warranty, the transmission, stereo, gear box (twice), window regulator, downhill descent button, and windshield had to be replaced. I rode it out, hoping that LR would continue to replace what it should. I was wrong. Since the warranty expired I have blown two head gaskets, a stereo, my driver side window does not roll down, the locks had to be replaced and still only work when they want to, the battery died the day it came back from LR dealership, the brakes have been replaced annually. It now feels that the transmission is going out again. The truck has locked me out a few times with the key in my hand!!! The truck has not started twice this week. As soon as the key is turned, everything goes blank and does not work until the truck is ready to be driven I guess. My co workers are highly amused, but I am not entertained by this piece of crap that I am stuck with. I am in need of join the LR Rebellions and jumping on board with whomever I need to in order to let the British Company know consumers have grown accustomed to purchasing quality products and when we don't get quality products, we get quality service and then quality products. The only thing worse than my truck itself is the service at the dealership. They are liars and apparently incompetent. For the past year the truck was taken to the dealership 10 times. Every time it is the same, a cheap, quick fix less than 300 euro. Until I drive home to play my new favorite game. I call the game, "What the hell is wrong with my Freelander, now?"
    Like I said, I drive around with a driver side window permanently in the up position thanks to the dealership breaking the regulator while repair the severely corroded master lock which controls all the other locks and wasted my day trying to figure out how to rescue my lunch from the Land Rover fortress. Also, the TC light and downhill descent light are permanently lit on my dashboard. The level of coolant drops suddenly every few weeks. I can't stand the service I receive at the dealership and would rather drive the truck till it drops. Please, if anyone you know is thinking of purchasing a Land Rover, strike them. Also, was anyone else aware of the safety recalls, b/c I was never notified.
  • muwarrr90muwarrr90 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 Freelander SE. Unfortunately. :lemon:

Outside of the service issue, I've really liked this car. It has many positive attributes but the many problems that have cropped up have finally driven me to decide I must dump it soon.

The car is slightly more than 5 years old and has 51,000 miles on it. In that time I've had the following repairs:

Cracked coolant reservoir replaced.

Radiator replaced due to pin hole leak.

Coolant hose replaced after failing while driving.

Sun roof replaced.

Window regulator replaced.

Front brake pads (twice).

Battery replaced.

Starter replaced.

and now the killer....

at 51,000 miles the "Service engine soon" light came on one morning. After a few blocks, the engine temperature spiked. Took it into the dealer and was told that a cylinder sleeve had shifted, dumping the coolant into the engine. As a result the engine must be completely replaced. $5600.

I was completely shocked. Then I did some poking around on the internet and discovered that this was a widespread problem that Land Rover refuses to address, and then I got just plain angry.

As much as I've enjoyed my Freelander at times, I will probably be parting with it soon for something that I can have more confidence in. All I know for sure about what will replace it is this....It won't be a Land Rover.
  • freelander1freelander1 Member Posts: 1
    Freelanders are crap. I have a 2003 and it had the same coolant problem. Luckily the engine hasn't gone out because i have no warranty. So I'm getting rid of it as soon as i can. Thanks to all who posted their story. Now that i've heard what goes on with these vehicles I can make a decision on getting rid of it. My shop told me that the airflow meter and motorized inlet manifold are not working correctly when I brought it in because the "service engine soon" light came on although it was apparently running fine. So they want me to replace those and charge me 1,500 dollars. But I was thinking; if the air flow meter didn't work than why is the car running at all? I am no expert, but I think that its just a scam that the shop wants to replace those items. Does anybody know?
  • illusions66illusions66 Member Posts: 1
    2003 Freelander just out of warranty period: the coolant keeps disappearing and does not leak. I had the car dealer check twice and say that "the cylinders are 'dropping' and burn out the coolant in the space left on top. There is nothing to do, except change the engine, whose manufacturer (by the way) has gone out of business."
    Conclusion: LandRover KNOWS about this issue and denies Factory Default. But obviously looking at all the postings, we are not an exception!!! Any lawyer bought a Freelander and willing to help???
  • wally10wally10 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Freelander also had all of its coolant vanish (it was fully serviced for 26K miles in June) with no apparent leak anywhere. Land Rover repaired it Monday and said it was a crack in the coolant hose, no problem. I was doubtful since prior to taking it in we filled it up and drove it and watched the level drop (and again, no coolant in the garage or driveway) On Wednesday, while driving the car, it died on me. All the dash indicator lights went on and it simply failed on the road. Although I speculated that the coolant had somehow leaked into another area of the engine, etc..the service manager at the dealer said it was coincidental that the two problems occurred within a day of each other, the alternator just died. It was replaced under warranty.

I traded it in the following Friday. The Freelander had been in the shop for a variety of warranty repairs 5 times since January. This was my second LandRover. I owned a 1998 Discovery that was relatively trouble free for 7 years. There is no comparison between these two vehicles.

Land Rover would not buy the car back under any circumstances...except a trade in for an LR2 or Range Rover. I had to PAY another new car dealer $7K (representing the difference between what I owed on my loan and the value of the car) just to take the Freelander on a trade. This with 22 months remaining on the warranty. Suffice it to say, my new car is Japanese.