Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Freelander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• winezealottwinezealott Member Posts: 9
    Wow - I thought I had problem - so sorry to hear your end result. I still have my car (without an operating engine) and still owe $5000 but hired an attorney here in Los Angeles. They are trying to sue under the Lemon Law. They're not pursuing the case based on my situation (dealer blew engine) because the car is too old. But because I took my car into the dealer for repairs while it was still under warranty so many times, they are going with that. It's only been 3 weeks since attorneys sent letter to LR North America. So we're waiting to get a response. Or you can contact Howard Gutman in NJ who is an attorney handling many of these cases. Maybe he can do something for you.

Good luck. :(
  • anthonytonyanthonytony Member Posts: 1
    I would love to check the transmission fluid myself however I am unable to find the transmission dip stick. I am also unable to find the cap I would remove to put more transmission fluid in should I need it. Any advice?
  • awise003awise003 Member Posts: 3
    Hello - I recently noticed a fluttering noise coming from the engine compartment while at idle, but even more so when accelerating. The Land Rover dealership assessed the issue and diagnosed the problem being with the upper intake manifold being internally worn and that my vehicle needs an upper intake manifold plenum. The quote to fix the issue was $1900, which seems extremely high to me. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you think a qualified mechanic could fix the problem for less? Thanks so much!
  • awise003awise003 Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I've recently experienced a rattling from my engine and the dealership advised me I need to replace my Upper Intake Manifold Plenum. Would you mind sharing how much that repair set you back? I'm curious as to what a repair like that costs.
    Sorry to hear about your car problem - I actually had my mechanic (who I've known for 10 years) tell me to have that checked out 2 years ago. I never did, then a coolant problem began that lasted for a year because of no resolution. Then my engine blew. I called an atty who got LR North America to buy back my car. These cars are problematic. Whether you bought it new or used, if you took it into the dealer for repairs while it was still under warranty and there are issues that were repaired more than once, the car is considered a lemon.

I can probably teach classes on Lemon Law at this point... :) Good luck with your car.
  • cwoolnercwoolner Member Posts: 16
    Tacoma Jim:

I felt the same way you did until my warranty expired last August (at 50k miles) and not even 2k miles after that the rear differential had to be fixed. I've had it in the shop more times in the last 6 months than I ever had it in there for the 4.5 years I've had it now. I have a 2004 SE with just over 59K miles now and the service engine light has been on for 2 weeks. I need to take it in but I'm scared of what the "problem" will be this time. I'm just counting down the days to build up enough money for a down payment on another car to trade this is before the engine goes (as seems to be the case with our trusty Landy's). I wanted to keep this truck for a long time... but the maintenance costs are just way too expensive!

I hope yours stays good and trusty. They are very nice trucks other wise!

~cw
  • moe71moe71 Member Posts: 11
    This is so frustrating reading all of this. I too have the coolant leak, now it is a major coolant leak. I was told by LR Bedford that it wasn't headgasket that it is most likely a hose. My ex-husband is a master Subaru mechanic and is currently trying to fix it. I need to fix it so I can trade the piece of crap in. I can't afford to take it to the dealership because it will drain me. I was told that there is now a fuel pump recall out for all of you who might be experiencing fueling issues.
    I owe more than what its worth and I can't imagine any dealership wanting to take it as a trade after reading these forums!
    Well took the LR in to the shop today after having the service engine light on. I was driving into work and the temp guage spiked up and then went back down again. Just got the call that the coolant has mixed in with the oil... they can't specifically say it's the head gaskets yet because they have to tear into the engine to diagnose it... Then if it is, after 10 hours of labor and an estimated bill of $1937 it would be put back together. Worst case scenario: the engine sleeve is slipping... resulting in a new engine needed. The service guy also mentioned the heater core was leaking coolant. Any suggestions on that?? Is it related to the head gaskets?

I mentioned to the technician that this is a common problem with the Freelanders. His response?? "Yes, we have had to repair several Freelanders for the same problem." I asked if LRNA was doing anything about it, recalling the vehicles and he said No.

Is anyone going forward with a class action lawsuit? What kind of attorney should I try to seek out for professional guidance? It seems that what I've read on here the only time action gets taken is once the engine actually fails.

Please advise if you can. Thank you.

~cw
    My problem started with the coolant leak that lasted for 1 1/2 yrs that my mechanic nor dealership could resolve. When it began, my mechanic installed 2 thermostats and when the car continued with the leak, he told me to take it to the dealer because he couldn't figure it out. After taking it to the dealer 3 times with no resolution, they blew up the engine on the 3rd visit after I in fact drove the damn car on the lot! All in all, I finally got my resolution yesterday when I drove to my Lemon Law attorney's office to pick up the check from LR North America, who agreed to do a purchase buy-back and gave me $19,995, wrote a seperate check to pay off my loan which was $6,200, and wrote yet another check to my atty for their fees (which is the law).

I encourage you to call my attorney - not sure where you're located but really helped me when no other atty I spoke to would. They have offices all over the country as well - check out their website at lemonauto.com/lemonlaw.

Consumer Legal Services, LLC
    (888) 435-1474 - Nick Nita (handled my case)

I truly mean this when I say I wish you luck with your car. I know exactly how you feel. :)
    winezealott:

Did the engine have to blow BEFORE you can claim it's a lemon? Did you pay to have anything fixed or what happened after they blew the engine for you? Was the fact they blew the engine the key to your success?
  • sicntiredsicntired Member Posts: 2
    The Class action lawsuit is being handled by Howard Gutman out of NJ. google him & you can find out how to get in touch with him. I would post his number but, I don't think that is allowed.
    UGGH:

You do not have to have a faulty engine (blown) to claim it a lemon. That's what I learned - that and more! I can teach classes in Lemon Law which indicates how much research I did on the internet when the dealer blew my engine. When this happened last December, I didn't know what to do because the dealer didn't want to be responsible. And besides that, they claimed my timing belt blew (which it did) which they said had nothing to do with the coolant problem. That's when I thought something was not right and began to research. The coolant problem is what caused the timing belt to go because the engine was so damn hot - we're talking a year of this problem. My attorney got LR North America to do a 'purchase buy-back' with my car based on the many times I had the car serviced WHILE it was under warranty - not based on what happened in Dec. So basically, the car was a lemon the entire time I was driving it! I made copies of all of my work orders (which was a big stack) and gave them to my atty. It was then that he saw I had a case. There are several ways the Lemon Law can apply to a vehicle. That's why I highly suggest talking to either my atty or someone else who is experienced in lemon law.

Any other questions, please ask - I feel very lucky to have my $20,000 check to go shopping for a car!
  • landroverlemonlandroverlemon Member Posts: 9
    Yes, you are very lucky! The Lemon Law does not exist in TN...I let the bank take my hunk of junk after putting $5000 in it for a new transmission and coolant issues (the warranty had just expired) and then having my engine blow which in turn caused my timing belt to shread (which the dealership claims is not the case) and then wanting another $7000 to fix that. The car was not worth $12000 and now I have $4000 sitting on my credit report that I am paying off for a vehicle that I do not own. Expensive Land Rover lesson. I hope other people learn from my experience, do not buy a Land Rover, they do not back their product and they are a hunk of junk. I had owned Honda's up until I bought a Land Rover and they are the best vehicle in my opinion and Honda backs up their product. They are great cars and I will be sticking with Honda or Acura from here on out! Live and learn.
  • lemonctlemonct Member Posts: 3
    I concur!
    I have an '05 Freelander with 57,000 miles just out of warranty reach and the dealer service department says that the cam shaft snapped & now has to be replaced with a new engine. Has anyone else experienced the same or a similar problem?
    I had the same problem. With 79,000 miles and no warranty, I took my car into the dealer for the 3rd visit to continue trying to fix a coolant problem I had for a year. The 3rd time, they called and told me the timing belt (and camshaft froze) and I needed a new engine. I hired a lemon law atty who got LR North America to buy my car back for $20K, and pay off the balance on the loan of the car. Here's there info:

Consumer Legal Services
    lemonauto.com

Good Luck!
  • wat1954wat1954 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2003 for almost 3 years and it has been in the shop almost every 2 to 3 months. the coolant seems to be going somewhere but the dealer has never found where.
    But it all came to an end the last week when the engine died. On a road trip the oil light came on so I so I stop put in oil. When I got back on the interstate the light came back on and the power was dropping. The car was towed back to Boise to the dealer. Metal was found in the oil. They said it would need a new engine. That would cost around $8500. Yikes. I checked with another shop and they could do a rebuild engine for $6500.
    So now the Freelander is for sale for parts.
    This was my second Land Rover. I should have learned from the first one
    How long did it take for LR to pay up? Did you repair the Freelander? Although my wife has a minivan as another vehicle for the family, she works in another city therefore I desperately my vehicle. I contacted the lemon law attorneys & they are going to investigate LR NA's handing of this.ridiculously ugly situation. The lawyer I spokew to said the litigation will take time so he recommended I repair the vehicle.In hindsight, I thought I made a sound $32,000 investment but now I feel like Bernie Madoff is still operating his Ponzw scheme in the form of LR, I'm SOL!
  • loulost16gloulost16g Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for posting your experience because the same exact thing is happening to me. Ever since I bought that lemon I've been living a nightmare. I've contact the attorney that handled your case and im waiting to speak to their attorneys about my experience and to see if i have a case. thanks again for your posting, it gave me hope.

Lou
    Any luck with contacting my attorney? I really keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know you posted this a while ago but I've been traveling and have been meaning to ask.
  • landroverlemonlandroverlemon Member Posts: 9
    I don't know if this was directed toward me but no, I have not contacted the attorney...I don't have time to fight the big bad Land Rover. I tell everyone that I meet about my experience and I will continue to buy Hondas from here on out. "What comes around, goes around".
  • seventhson74seventhson74 Member Posts: 3
    I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. I bought a ’04 Freelander in ’06 with 26 thousand miles on it and a 75,000 mile warranty. I did research before I bought the truck and came across very little in negative reviews and a line that sold me “Land Rovers have been made since the 50’s. Almost 75% of all the Land Rovers ever made are still on the road, other countries use them as military vehicles!”
    In February of ’09 I had a check engine light come on, and it cost me over a thousand to fix (New air intake). The truck was still under warranty but they told me the warranty doesn't cover normal wear and tear? 3 weeks later a different air intake failed, another grand. A month after that (and just after the warrany expired)the locks froze and it cost me almost 2 grand to get that fixed. In May, the truck started to overheat and I took it to an independant Land Rover mechanic (I had enough of the dealer). He told me I had to replace the timing belt, almost 3 grand! July 21st my truck wouldn’t start, I then had it towed to the dealer who told me it was the timing belt. I called the Rover Mechanic who just fixed that and he agreed to pick it up and bring it to his shop to look at. He called us today to say the cam shaft was broken and the engine probably needs to be replaced and even then he wouldn’t guarantee the truck was fit to drive. The cost $12,076.00! We owe 10,000.00 it’s blue book value is 5,645.00-in working condition! It has 86 or 87 thousand miles on it.
    Unfortuately it seems that us Freelander owners don't find this site until it's too late... I bought mine brand new in '04 and was lucky enough to unload it this past April before any major problems started happening... it was just starting to have over heating issues and knew it was the beginning of the end thanks to this site!!
    I loved the FL but couldn't risk having the engine die on me. I too owed $10k on it and took quite the loss to trade it in.

I wish you the best of luck with yours. Remember that the engines for the Freelanders aren't made anymore and if you do decide to put one in, it will be a rebuilt one which is probably why your mechanic wouldn't guarantee it.

:sick:
  • shawnobshawnob Member Posts: 2
    :mad: I have a 2002 Landrover Freelander and it's a piece of JUNK!!! I have had one issue after another-back to back! I'm talking $2,400 here, $900 there, etc...When I get rid of this thing Landrover won't ever have to see me again! :mad:

I got a letter from Landrover in the mail a few weeks ago to let me know about a recall on the fuel pump. I called my local Landrover dealer and took my receipts showing where I had to replace that too. They told me to have my machanic to give me an itemized statement of repairs so I can be reimbursed. I did. Then I emailed it to the dealer and he told me the machanics itemized statement was too high ($1800) and he would have a hard time getting it reimbursed. He told me to have them reduce the amount to $800 or less on my statement so he would be able to get it reimbused for me. I could not believe that! It cost me $1800, not $800 or less! They are a joke! :mad:
  • shawnobshawnob Member Posts: 2
    I'm in. Let me know what we need to do next!!! :mad:
  • jj1321jj1321 Member Posts: 5
    I am with all of you on this Landrover...I bought a 03' Freelander 2 years ago, went to the dearlership alone, since I was newly divorced and don't have family here where I live in Austin, and I hate to say this but they suckered me into buying this car...since my credit isn't the greatest they said this was all I could get. I was very skeptical on purchasing this car but I needed a car and had noone to give me advice. It worked fine at first, no problems....then after awhile it started making a noise under the engine...I had someone look at it and he mentioned a number of things that needed to be repaired....I didn't have the money to fix it so I just stopped driving it all together...My daughter drove it one day and it just died on her...this was in february of this year...I then had my dad who came into town take a look at it along with a mechanic and he said it was the fuel pump..with some researching found out it was recallled, took it into the dealership and they fixed it, but of course found some other things wrong with it that ended up costing me 250.00. I was happy to have my car back but was also told that I needed to get a new thermostat...700.00...noway could I afford that, I'm a single parent and don't make much money. So I drove it making sure I would always have coolant in the resevoir...it did have some leaking but nothing major. Last week while driving to work, the temperature needle started going crazy..up and down...then it just stayed down..pulled into the parking lot at work and BAM the car died out...I restarted it and drove it very slowly to the nearest parking spot and smoke was coming from under the hood...I was freaking out!! I left my car in the parking lot at work and found a friend who would replace my thermostat...he did that today and now says my car sounds like a diesel truck!!! I don't know what to do...I still owe 10,000 on this car and I would love to trade it in for something more economical but I am afraid no dealer will take this car and I am just gonna be stuck with paying for a car that I cannot drive! I saw how some of the folks on here filed a lawsuit but I don't think I will qualify....any suggestions???
  • jj07jj07 Member Posts: 1
    Was just wondering if you had alot of problems trading in your Freelander...I have an 03 and its starting to act up on me...I too owe about $10k...if you could let me know that would be great!! :)
  • atalexaatalexa Member Posts: 6
    You'll be able to trade it in, but you're not likely to get what you owe. I traded in my '02 two years ago and got $6,000. The dealer would only give me the auction price for a trade and showed me the recent auction history on other Freelanders.

You might be able to take advantage of the Cash for Clunkers program, but I'm not sure where they classify the mileage. If anything should qualify as a clunker, it's a Freelander. Good luck.
    JJ1321:

My 04 FL started doing the same thing with the temp guage. I paid to have the thermostat fixed and was doing the same thing with anti freeze. Until the fateful day the temp guage kept doing it and I was right by the dealer so I dropped it off. They said they "thought the head gaskets were bad but couldn't be sure without tearing the whole engine apart" at $110/hr taking approximately 10hours to do it. Worst case scenario was the engine was bad and needed to be replaced. Did you buy the truck outright or is it leased? Most dealers will take it as trade (don't mention past problems). I think going rate is about $6k so you'll take a hit but maybe you can finance that into another car? It's better than having a truck that won't run! Good luck to you!!!!
    JJ07:

I leased my 04 Freelander. My options were: pay off the lease early - I owed 3 payments left on the lease, totaling about $1500 OR turn it in at the dealer and take about a $4k loss. I owed just over $10k and the dealer was going to give about $6k for trade in. That seems to be the going rate. Anyway, I turned the truck back into the bank with a check for the last 3 payments.

I would definitely try the cash for clunkers program as mentioned earlier though I think the mileage might not qualify. They should accept these things based on quality and get them ALL off the road. They are truly a safety hazard!!! Whatever you do, don't mention that it's acting up to the dealership. If that thing is still running and doesn't have a service engine light on, get rid of it NOW.

Just my two cents for what it's worth. Good luck!
    Thank you for your advice...I think I may be stuck with this car. Don't really think I have many options considering I owe 10k and the car now sounds like a diesel truck, I can't afford to have a new engine replaced and why put money into this POS when it will just do it again. I am sure no dealership will take this car as is and letting it get sent back to the bank will just ruin my credit, which looks like what I may have to do. The cash for clunkers program will not work because you have to own the vehicle, title in hand. Thanks again.
    I feel for you, I really do. I wish Land Rover would step up and make it right with everyone of the owners, past and present.
    I didn't know the cash for clunkers needed title in hand... so that means they won't take trade ins? Seems to defeat the purpose. But I think the mileage may have been a factor too. I thought my sticker had mileage at 18 city/ 21 highway.

Wish you the best!
    Actually, the car does qualify...it only gets 17 mpg...would have been able to get 3500 for trade in....your right, it does defeat the purpose. Thanks again for your response.
    Not sure if you read my posting although its been several months ago that I posted it. I had to hire an atty who got LR North America to buy back my car. Please call them - you have nothing to lose. They may be able to help you.

Consumer Legal Services (310) 477-1474 (talk to Jenn or Nick)

I was in the same positioin as you and many others are - I got $20,000 for the car, and they paid the legal fees and my residual loan off seperately. I hope you get a resolution like I did.

Zayra Cabot
    Thank you for the information......I will try and see what happens. What information did you need to give the attys? How long did the process take...I am currently without a car...and have to get rides from friends for work..sucks!! But thanks again for the information....
  • mom62650mom62650 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2003 freelander used for my daughter 4 years ago -- it sure was a darn cute car for a high school girl -- this was the two door version in bright yellow. As a freshman in college -- she started to have engine heating problems. She was 3 hours away and at the mercy of the local repair shops. $1200 later she had replaced some fans and the temperature gauge. At the time I was concerned that the overheating may have caused additional damage, but she loved the car and I was too lazy to investigate trading for another vehicle. THen,l less than a year later, she was telling me the engine was overheating again -- and was told it needed a water pump/timing belt -- for another $1500. Some other drama in between, but I ended up considering towing the car to St.Louis to the Land Rover dealer. They quoted me $3500 for the repair, but talking to the manager of the repair dept. suggested I junk the car as the engine had known problems, and the repair was more than the vehicle was worth. WTF?? The engine had defects, and all the owners are losers, not the dealers who sold this vehicle or did not initiate recalls on the overheating issues.

I'd be interested in some real life solutions -- I don't think the "lemon laws" apply in my circumstance as the problems happened when the car was out of warranty. As this is a consistent problem with this engine, has there been any luck with a class action suit?? Any recommendations?

A legal firm specializing in Lemon Laws suggested I check the NHTSA website re: defect investigations. I filed a complaint. I'm not sure if it helps, but a breakdown in traffic is not "safe" and I would think if everyone who has had an engine problem would file a report -- they might initiate an investigation.
  • gearjamsgearjams Member Posts: 2
    Mine has the same "diesel sound." It's actually NOT anything too horrible. It's the butterfly on the intake inlet. It does warrant some work to be done, but the noise is just a non-detrimental rattle.
  • gearjamsgearjams Member Posts: 2
    I purchased, without re-searching of course, an 02 Freebie SE, and two months later- BAM, transmission. Two days after getting it back from the trans shop, BAM, transfer case... since getting it back from the shop(which couldn't fix their way out of a paper sack), I've had intake issues(the infamous butterfly rattle), exhaust issues(repair shop reinstalled one of the pipes backwards creating an awful buzz on deceleration),loose brake calipers(probably the repair shop), coolant leak(just an O-ring on the temp sensor), and my SRS light is on. I have no idea why that light is on. All I know, is I haven't even owned this vehicle for a year, and it's already cost me more in repairs, than I paid for the vehicle to begin with. I strongly urge any other Freelander owners to dump their vehicle on ANY OTHER vehicle.... if you love Rovers, get a Disco II, or a Range.. if not- go Jeep!
  • spnkygrnspnkygrn Member Posts: 6
    Hey, I feel you're pain. I bought a 03' in 07' with 72K got the off dealer to replace the timing belt as a part of the purchase cause I had called around to shops about issues. Well, that was only the beginning. First the dealer sells me an extended warranty (Royal Adminstration Services) for 2K which when the first 3 repairs started they tried to dodge paying but ultimately were informed by the dealer the issues were covered items. But the rental doesn't kick in until you've got a confirmation# which means it's a covered item. One prob w/that, doesn't cover your need for transportation when u r informed by "warning lites" of issues and initially drop the car off with the repair shop. They've got to diagnose the issue first. Anyway, back to the piece of Junk, Landrover knows about the problem but appear to being doing very little. Class Action attorney Howard Gutman(Flanders, NJ ) in my opinion isn't vigorous enough for people who have been significantly inconvenienced by the non operation of this vehicle or its inherent desire to continuously require repair for no apparent reason. I've had same issues as you but also include, door lock inop, window motors, torque convertor motor, air induction, air intakes and whatever makes the trans display: F 4 flashing alternately while driving with both serv eng lites on. It's in the shop again right now, 14 times in 27 months!!!!!HELP!!!!!
    Howard Gutman, Flanders, NJ is the Class Action attorney for Freelander issues. I will reserve my opinion of his effective pursuit on injured parties behalf and the initial blurt out of what sort of monetary compensation I might look forward to in regard to a vehicle(in the care of the mechanic at this posting) and not in my driveway, as one would expect from supposedly quality vehicle. I've had the temp gauge issue twice and I ride around with coolant in the back as well just in case. 14 times in 27 months this vehicle's been in the shop. And from what I find on these forums, the Freelander's been a long standing problem that Landrover has known about for quite sometime if not its creation.They're owned by Ford Motor Co.don't know what that means other than a company that touts itself as being there for Americans, building reliable,safe efficient, yaddy,yaddy ya and they're some kind of way connected to this. I'd say give Gutman a call, check yellowpages online for #, let me know what happens. I think I'm going to put a zip folder together to send to the local network affiliates consumer watch/issues in hopes of getting Today Show coverage if we can organize, because getting people out of an existing loan should be the least that Landrover should offer to do. Again, that my opinion, and I've owned cars costing less that were more reliable. Wish I had one of them now.
    Howard Gutman, Flanders, NJ....Not impressed so far with his initial contact and surmization of what I can expect from Landrover in regard to a car that's been in the shop 14 times in 27 months with minimal daily drivng. I thought these were all wheel, all terrain only ones still made in America, but they apparently can't take daily driving by school teachers, nurses, clerks, stay at home moms.....etc so I find it hard to believe they can handle off road really. I don't know if we organized and got someone to vigorously and I do mean vigorously represent us to the point of making it to the Today Show and other network morning shows with this legitimate story of significant issues associated with this vehicle and a realistic expectation by the Secretary of Commerce or something that holds Landrover completely responsible and would actively anticipate their compensation of each and everyone who has been adversely affected by the purchase of this vehicle. I still owe 7K and not in a position with a 2 yr old to take too much more of a loss. It's just ridiculous and unAmerican. Shame on Ford Motor Company who owns Landrover
  • goatgirl26goatgirl26 Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to this site. Bought my Freelander HSE new in '04. Shortly after driving it off of the lot, car engine sounded more like a diesel. Brought it back numerous times to LR (under warrantee) and was told it just needed the oil changed. At 53,000 miles (just after the warrantee ended), brought it in for it's scheduled oil change and was told by the mechanic "This car sounds horrible". They suckered me in for $2,500 saying a screw must have fallen into the intake manifold. Since then ...
    -Both rear window motors need replacing.
    -Sunroof assembly and motor needs replacing. I was driving down the road with the sunroof open when I got caught in a rain storm. Went to put the sunroof down and it would not budge. Took it into the LR mechanic and was told the only way to put it down would be for the mechanic to push on it for the outside and break it, thus requiring a whole new assembly.
    -Harmonic balancer found off and banging around inside of the engine. Found by a non LR mechanic, probably part of the god awful clanging that was present from almost the time of purchase.
    -Coolant leak (no idea where it is leaking to, but I always have extra in the back of the car now.)
    -Now the oil light is on. Just brought it to the LR mechanic last week for "expert diagnosis". Was told, (after the mechanic took off the oil fill cap and looked into it with a flash light) that the engine is coated with oil sludge and needs to be replaced.
    Don't know what I'm going to do with the vehicle. Part of me wants to try to run some oil cleaner through, fix the windows and get rid of it. The other part screams for me to run fast and far away; to just get rid of it now and cut my losses. Please if you are considering buying one of these vehicles, don't. If you have one and are starting to have problems, get rid of it. If you have one and aren't having problems yet, get rid of it. I kept saying to myself, I'll just fix this last problem and then it will be okay. This last problem turned into the next problem and into the next. This car has been nothing but a headache.
    To Piece of Junk / goatgirl26:

Pay close attention to the coolant leak. Mine started leaking in Feb of this year and same thing "nobody could figure out where it was going". I spent $600 to have the thermostat replaced as that was the only "logical explanation" at the time. 2 months later my temp guage spiked twice (I too had coolant constantly in the truck as I was going through about 1 bottle of it a week) and I took it into the dealer to have it looked at when I was then told I either had 1) head gasket failure or 2) complete engine failure and would need to be replaced. More than likely the coolant has been leaking into the oil, causing the "sludge". I chose to get rid of it while it was still running.

Good luck with what you decide to do...
    Got bad news for you. Just checked auto-trader for trade in value, 2003 freelander $2200.00. I've been trying the last 2 wks to get something new for nothing, I still owe $8k on the loan. Tip: if you have a loan on your freelander, ur better off not paying the loan off, go to a dealer of the new vehicle you want, tell them the bank story and that it runs fine(they know about the freelander) and let them work the best deal/trade-in on new that you can afford, then spring on them any additional down payment money you have. Yeah, you'll still be paying off the excess of the original loan on the back end of the new vehicle deal, but for every $1,000 you can throw on the table "after" they've given you their best offer on the vehicle of your choice, you'll reduce your monthly payment by $30. May not sound like much but I just had Kia throw both a Sorento and Sportage at me w/payments of $495/$499 respectively, with $500 dwn, then with $3,000 suddenly appearing out of an account I could have a $400 monthly payment which is only $70 more than I'm paying now on the loan and the Mogi extended warranty.($223 + $107). Not sure it would work better the other way. I'm still contacting LR, Sec Trans, Commerce, Pres Obama, NHTSA, BB, and all local network affiliates. Don't know what it will do, but I have nothing to loose.
    I have been in the process of trying to get a new vehicle...just letting the bank take the car back...it hasn't been an easy process and being a single parent money doesn't come easy...I think contacting all the media is a good thing, someone needs to let them know what Land Rover is doing to all us comsumers..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Shame on Ford Motor Company who owns Landrover

Ford sold Land Rover to Tata back in March, 2008. link
  • ccb4ccb4 Member Posts: 2
    I am searching for info on lawsuits won against Landrover and recall information on Freelanders, specifically 2002 SE models.

I have a true mudpuddle in that engine noise, windows and sunroof have a mind of their own, the muffler blew smoke for two miles and I thought it was on fire (but it just blew a hole in the muffler large enough to put my hand in there after I paid $60 for them to tell me that I had emission problems and $700.00 repairs to the coolant system), and ty rods and bearings are making noise.

In Minnesota, when it gets cold, the transmission runs through several codes if you drive it without warming the engine to the point of burning enough gas to get to work before leaving the driveway. The fuel pump recall was installed, but I still call it my slurpee because it uses gas so fast, and the engine coolant system is a real screamer.

The cost of this is not just ridiculous, it is an insult. Landrover dealers are so insulting to deal with on this vehicle it is embarrassing. Can anyone tell me if there are options others have used to make the dealers honor fixing this horrid thing? Is there anything that I can join in to make the Landrover manufacturer repair their mud puddle? One thing ruins another along the way and it has just kept going. Help!
    After reading all of the posts in here, I have to assume that my coolant must be leaking into the oil, too; hence the sludge. Was told that if the coolant was leaking into the oil, the oil would be a milky color. Is this true? Did anyone's (whose had this problem) oil turn a milky color, or is it just a silent killer?
    goatgirl26:

My oil never turned milky. I was checking it almost daily for a change or sludge starting to form and I never had any of it though I was filling the coolant container weekly or more. Yours does have sludge?
    My coolant has also been leaking regularly and there has been no change to the oil color or evidence of sludge. My check oil light came on last week. Took it to the dealer mechanic and was told by him (after he took off the oil fill cap and looked into the oil resevoir with a flash light), that the engine is full of sludge and needs to be replaced. (For his expert diagnosis (and time of 15 seconds) I was charged $65.

Just had the timing belt and other things done in November (by my regular mechanic). He had the valve covers off at that time and said the inside actually looked pretty good. Although, the coolant didn't start leaking until Feb/March of this year.

So I'm not really sure. Is the engine really coated with sludge? Can that really be diagnosed by looking into the oil with a flash light? Do I really want to pay for "more detailed expert diagnosis" just to be told, "yes, indeed, the engine needs to be replaced."? If the engine does really have sludge in it, is there anything (cheap) that can be done to limp it along, so that I can at least get a little
    bit of money for it as a trade in before it totally dies?

I am officially uninvited to ever again returning to the LR dealership in Sarasota, FL, as of today. Was told by the service manager that they don't want customers like me (customers who ask questions and don't just blindly fork over thier credit cards at any monetary charges they throw out).