Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Taurus/Sable Heating / Cooling Problems

doozer22doozer22 Member Posts: 1
I've been searching / surfing for the heater dash vent that is between the steering column and the glove compartment. It is broken on my 1995 Merc Sable. NO LUCK !!!!!!! Any suggestions. I've tried the local junk yards and the dealer isn't interested (I guess they cant make lots of cash)

Comments

• lldeanlllldeanll Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1996 taurus 3 litre 24 valve v6
    my problem is that the air vents are working on defrost and floor(default-mode).and not working on face mode.does any one know how to pop the panel up on the dash-board on the front windscreen or if its the right approach..or does a fuse cause this problem..i dont wanna go messing too much with it just yet incase i activate the airbag
  • wolfe2wolfe2 Member Posts: 2
    replaced heatercore and thermostat still only get heat when running between 2500 3000 rpm.
  • knowhowemanknowhoweman Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE that I have a hard time figuring this thing out. The temperature gauge shows good, right where it's supposed to be but the heater puts out less than luke warm air. I have changed the thermostat. Could this be caused by a clogged heater core? Can I backflush it? If I have to replace it, how do I do that? Fluid levels are good.
  • reenzereenze Member Posts: 1
    I have not tried this yet, but will on Sunday. I have the same problem with my 99. It seems to be very common. A thread I read said to remove the heater hose from the pump pour in liquid plumber. Pinch off the by pass on the fire wall. Remove the return (out) from the heater coil at the return by the thermostate. Then flush the coil with water from a garden hose. Many people said that solved the problem.

1. pinch off the by pass hose ( you will see this run above the heater coil in/out lets on the fire wall.
    2. Remove hose at the water pump going to the fire wall.
    3. Remove the return hose from the coil to the block
    4. Pour liquid draino into the hose going from the pump to the coil
    5. After 10 min, flush with high pressure water.
    you can also back flush because you have both hoses off.

good luck
  • shasta67shasta67 Member Posts: 109
    Could this be caused by a clogged heater core? Can I backflush it? If I have to replace it, how do I do that? Fluid levels are good.

It is very common on the taurus to have a clogged heater core. You can check this by removing the lines coming in and out of the heater core. Remember to block the bypass line around the heater core so you can push all the water threw the heater core. You can then put a garden hose on the heater core and see how much flow you can get threw it. Don't add too much pressure of you may damage the heater core and cause a leak. If you are getting good flow it is not the heater core. If it is totally plugged then the draino trick will not work either. (Be very careful if you do choose to go the draino route) As for having to replace the heater core, it is a real pain in the you know what. Unless you are good with wrenches and have a high tolerance for frustration it is a job best left to the professionals.

Now if you have good flow threw your heater core then it is probably a blend door actuator. The blend door actuator controls the amount of heat that you get with your heater. On the taurus it tends to fail quite a lot. The little plastic gears go bad and the heater will not work as if fails in the cold position. I think they are around $70 at ford and fairly easy to replace yourself. It is located under the center consul. You can test to see if it is working by turning the fan on high and turning the hot-cold switch. You should be able to hear a different noise as the air flow changes. You should also be able to hear the blend door come open and closed.

Good luck.
  • ciminocimino Member Posts: 2
    I need help! I have a 97 taurus wagon with a 3.0 l engine. The temperature gauge reads normal but when I make sharp turns the gaugs goes to cold. This also happens at highway speeds. When the gauge goes to cold there is no heat in the car. The heater core has been flushed, the thermostat has been changed. 13 months ago I had the head gaskets replaced. There is also coolant leaking from the radiator cap, sometimes. I replaced the cap. I am concern that there is pressure building up.
    Not really sure what the problem is, but are you sure it is leaking out the cap? The coolant tank on the 97 Taurus is notorious for getting a crack in it and when the pressure builds up it will leak. It can be very hard to find because it often will not leak until there is pressure in the system. I have a 97 Taurus that I use for a work car and I thought I had a head gasket problem too but I found a crack in the coolant tank. I found my leak on the bottom of the coolant tank but it did appear sometimes it was coming out of the top. It would leak the most when I would turn the car off after driving it hard.

I don't know why you are getting a cold temperature but the coolant tank has two chambers. It will actually work will very little coolant in the system. If the coolant gets too low the gauge will bounce around quite a lot.

Good luck. The good thing is if it is a coolant tank then it is a very easy fix. I think the tank is about $50 from ford and much less from Auto Zone.
  • ciminocimino Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info! I forgot to list this the first time. When I make a hard right or left turn the temperature guage moves from normal to cold and results in a lost of heat. Also driving on a highway, the temp. gauge will go to cold with not heat and then for no reason the temp gauge goes back to normal and the heat is also back. Any ideas?
    Yes I have been thinking of what would cause it to go cold and I don't really have any good ideas. If it were just the heater I might say it was a plugged heater core but if the whole car is going cold it could not be that.

First off is your coolant tank full? The Taurus tank has two sections. It is possible that a sharp turn causes one to splash over if it is very low. I guess it cold have something to do with water pump too but usually they just go out. One last thing I would check again is your thermostat. If you are in a very cold place it may be letting very cold water from your radiator in. Really these are all just guesses. I am fairly good at turning wrenches but am far from a professional.

If you still have water getting pushed out of your radiator, after you check for leaks in your coolant tank, I would guess your head gasket (s) are bad again. The Taurus is known for that but more often on the 24 valve than the 12 valve.

I bought a 1997 GL from my friend for a work car two years ago. It has been a good car so far but I have had to replace the coolant tank, the blend door actuator and the camshaft position sensor. All were pretty easy fixes.

Good luck and hope it is not the head gasket again. They are a pain.
  • th23th23 Member Posts: 1
    you may want to look at the water pump.sometimes the impeller may rust off and the coolant doesn't circulate properly.
  • buckjambuckjam Member Posts: 1
    I ahve a 1995 Taurus that I am attempting to replace the air blend door actuator. My question where and how do I access this actuator so I can replace it.I have disassembled much of my dash and still cannot even locate it! Please tell me exactly what I need to do in order to replace this item,Thanx,Jim
    Well I am not sure if it is the same as the 1997 but on the 97 it is in the middle just about behind the ashtray. I did not have to take anything off of the dash either. Just put the front seats back and lie down on the passenger side floor and look up behind the dash. It is a little tricky to get to but there are only four screws, a wire plug and another arm that you have to take off the actuator. The arm goes to another door that is like the blend door but is not. (I know that is confusing) I am trying to remember just how it went but if you find it you will see how it works. It is easy to replace but hard the get all four screws back in to hold it.

Good luck. You can go to auto zone online for most things and they will give you detailed instructions how to do it. I am not sure about the blend door though.
  • williamfordwilliamford Member Posts: 2
    I have a 03 Taurus which leaked water onto the passenger floor board also causing my AC Blower motor to short out. I could not get Ford to act even though a related recall existed under 03V087000.

I have found many others with this problem. Together we can force Ford to recall/fix the problem. If enough people with the same problem file the complaint, NHTSA will force Ford to comply with their own existing recall or actually extend an EXISTING recall under 03V087000.

Here is what you need to do:
    1. Call NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 or go to http://www.nhtsa.gov/
    2. File your complaint, have your VIN ready and dates of problems (if possible)
    3. While filing your complaint reference recall number 03V087000 AND my complaint 10184014. This will show a continuing trend.
    4. If your water leak problem also resulted in a shorted out AC blower motor, make sure you mention this as well.
    5. Once you have filed, please e-mail me at williamford61@hotmail.com and give me your complaint number. I intend to compile all complaints which will prove the problem is widespread.

Do it and together this will get fixed!
  • syner137syner137 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Merc Sable station wagon (3.0) V-6.

When it's really cold, the blower is inoperative.

Heat still comes a bit, while driving, but the fan is stone dead.

3rd time now. Fuses are fine...when it gets a bit warmer, it works fine. Never seern anything like it.
    My 1st Ford.....making me a little suspicious.....

Any ideas? Steve in Canada. :-)
  • john_doe_wnyjohn_doe_wny Member Posts: 28
    What does the 03V087000 recall cover? Is the recall fixing the water leak but not the blower motor failure caused by the leak? I am looking at 2003 Sable and I want to make sure this problem can be fixed before I buy. Also, If it's been fixed already how can I be sure it's been fixed right? Thanks
  • waldswalds Member Posts: 1
    Guys, maybe I am missing something... the recall quoted here covers windshield defects. Could somone clarify please? I am actually the next victim of the blower motor being blown... no A/C, no heating, the blower never turns on... is this the common symptom?

Thx,
    Walds
  • john4433john4433 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2002 Sable that came with the standard manual climate controls. Pulled the dash unit to service the stereo and saw that the climate section is all-electric (no mechanical connections). This got me thinking/hoping...

Can I upgrade to full automatic climate controls by buying the dash control unit from a junkyard/ebay/etc., and swapping?
  • cmhjdcmhjd Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem with my /02 Taurus about 18 months ago. It's due to a cowel leak and it is a design defect. I called Ford customer service and they agreed to pay 80% of the repair. My dealer's service invoice incorrectly figured this percentage the first time, so check the math.
  • ggalloggallo Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 2002. Filed Complaint No. 10189897 using your reference number. I turn on my heater and smell antifreeze in the passenger compartment. Unless I turn the A/C to "MAX" the system leaks water onto the passenger floor.
  • insectsinsects Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my Sable 2002. This problem was listed as TSB 04-15-3. I called my local Ford dealer but they will charge me about $200 to get it fixed. Damned!
  • cmsgt1997cmsgt1997 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Sable LS with electronic climate control. It just stopped blowing air out of the dash vents. Air comes out of defrost and floor just fine. Has anyone had this problem or no what is wrong?
  • amytateamytate Member Posts: 2
    How did you get them to fold so easily? I am looking to get a reimbursement on this very same problem and they wont budget!
  • amytateamytate Member Posts: 2
    complaint number: 10195320
  • pengelhard1pengelhard1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my 2001 Mercury Sable LS. The Low Coolant light comes on and I can't figure out why? My coolant levels appear to be right where they should be and my temperature gauge doesn't read hot at all...square in the middle actually. Im concerned that something else is causing the problem and that not getting the problem resolved will lead to other more costly issues. Any suggestions anyone? Need help cause I use this car in my daily commute of 45 miles each day.
  • oksweetoksweet Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 Taurus, Ford paid 80% of my leak too. If its a factory defect, Ford should have paid 100% in opinion. My extended warranty wouldn't even touch it because of the water defect & damage.
  • zeuswonzeuswon Member Posts: 10
    We also have water in the floor board of passenger side. I replaced 1 blower before I saw this blog, it worked for 15 minutes before it blew also. Just took our 03 Sable to Ford today. The service guy wants $99.95 to look at it? He also looked up the vin number and quickly said that the leak is not on his recall list. I told him that we had contacted the 800 number and they said he needed to look at it first. So we will see, I'll keep y'all posted!
    That don't surprise me. Call Ford Motor Company. Try this number,
    Telephone
    800-392-3673
    800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
    They paid 80% without any haggle, they know it's a factory defect. Let me know how it comes out.
    BTW...the Sables have this SAME problem.
    Ok, after a long conversation with Ford service we were told they would offer to pay 10% of a $416 repair bill. I am not accepting that and now have to pay $99.95 diagnostic charge to get our vehicle back for a known defect that we diagnosed for them.

Signed,

Unhappy Campers
    Oh, by the way they said since we noticed the leak in 2005 (but reported it in 2007) and didn't take it in for service then we missed the warranty period. And that if we would have purchased the 100,000 mile extended warranty we would be covered. So the best they could do was 10%.
    Why is it we can't get the "ford zone office" service telephone number from anyone or anywhere?
    Complaint number 10205290
    Ok, paid $99.95 to get car back and they told me what I already knew except that it's not the windshield but the Cowl Panel that leaks. IE; TSB 04-15-3

So here's the estimate:

Blower motor $108.44
    Blower resistor $ 25.40
    Cowl Panel $ 43.78

Total Parts $177.62
    Labor 1.5 TT- 2.5 $141.95
    Diagnosis 1 time $ 99.95 (Paid today to get documentation)
    -------
    $419.52

Ford 10% Off -$ 41.95
    We pay $377.57 + Taxes (Unhappy Camper)

Ford 80% Off -$335.61
    We pay $ 83.81 + Taxes (Satisfied Customer)

Feeling pretty raw about now.

I asked for a Customer Service Supervisor to call me, said they would within 48 hours, we will see. They "Will Not Give Out Zone Mgrs telephone number!"
    I'm glad you fought it. I paid 75.20 ( my 20% of the mess)keep your receipts just in case of a future recall. ( I know I'm dreaming).
    oksweet, do you mind telling us the condition of your vehicle, ie;
    Year
    Make
    Model
    Warranty
    Extended Warranty
    When you first reported problem to Ford
    ?

Thanks!
    2003 Ford Taurus SES- 35000 miles- I reported the problem after I seen my glove compartment leaking water Memorial Day of this year. ( 07) The car was waiting on the Ford place to look at it. Jeff called me & told me it be 375.00 to fix it. I thought about it & called FMC & I told her it was leaking & the Rep put me on hold & came back a few minutes later & said " Jeff would take care of me when I picked up the car". I thought it be FREE but I paid 75.20 to drive my car out of the shop! I wasn't too happy because I knew this was a factory defect & should be on a recall & I had already knew what the problem was because I googled the car's problem only to know I was not alone. I told FMC my warranty on the car should have took care of it.( because I bought the leak & they knew it). I bought the car with the factory warranty & bought extended warranty. But because I did not report this leak till the factory warranty ceased it was not honored. I called my extended warranty & they said " because of the water damage ,they would not honor my warranty". My insurance had a 500.00 deductible so I called FMC. man,I was livid!
    Thanks! You got luckier than we did.
  • jpalmisanojpalmisano Member Posts: 2
    I have used all the advice that I have seen on this site, but Ford denies they have paid any amount to cover the expense to repair the fan motor. In my case, the dealer wants $585. Do you have any receipts that show that Ford you 80% for this repair? John palmy@umich.edu
  • jpalmisanojpalmisano Member Posts: 2
    I have used all the advice that I have seen on this site, but Ford denies they have paid any amount to cover the expense to repair the fan motor. In my case, the dealer wants $585. Do you have any receipts that show that Ford paid you 80% for this repair? palmy@umich.edu
    We just went through the gauntlet over this, final bill to fix was paid completely by us.
    Ford $99.95 diagnostics. Another Ford dealer repaired it for $389.00 for a total of over $490.00 bucks not including the $40 I spent on a used blower from the junk yard. They contend it's not a safety issue but let them drive a car with fogged up windows.
    I guess if we had an accident and the lawsuit forced them to recognize the problem we could get satisfaction. This needs a class action attorney to file in court for us to get our money back. Not to mention it will be the last Ford this family purchases.

If you need details of the invoice to lower your repair charges let me know! The above quote was wrong.
    I can look it up.
  • yellowbookyellowbook Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2007 Taurus a few months ago and just had the water leak problem. After a long rainy day, the passenger floor had about a half inch of water on it. I remembered this leak item when checking the internet and knew I now had the problem. I took it to a local Ford dealer that was aware of the problem and they said they would fix it and later told me the car was fixed. My wife picked up the car and got no paperwork on the repair-no repair order, warranty paperwork, what was done-nothing to even indicate the car had been there. This was under factory warranty. The dealer left me with a soaked carpet-it had never been dried out-descented or anything so now I guess we get the mold and a rusted floor pan. Our climate is not going to dry the carpet until summertime. Is this typical for anyone else under the factory warranty?

When I mentioned this to a friend with an older Taurus, she said the same thing just happened to her Taurus, but it has been back to the dealer three times and not fixed yet. Very irritating.
    I can not believe FMC has not fixed this leak problem with the Taurus by now!! I have a 03 & FMC fixed mine & so far it doesn't leak. I would take that brand new ford of yours & tell the people who fixed the car to make it right ,in fact, I would demand it. FMC knows of this problem ,it's been a ongoing problem for years.
  • jessejames5jessejames5 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1997 Ford Taurus. I have a problem with the heater core I heard nightmares on replaceing the heater core , is there any body that could help me out on how to replace and locating the heater core,

I have heard that in order to replace the heater core you have to take down the dash board. But i really dont know were is it at. I try finding any topics dealing with my situation but since im new at this forum. i dont know from were to start.

I would apreciate and thank , any body that would help me out.

some effects i get from this problem is that my windshild gets foggy alot and fog from the vents come out. theres a leak i have under the car some were in the passenger side

they had told me . that this is due to a leak on the heater core and or i have to replace some of the hoses or the heater core it self..

ANY ONE COULD HELP
  • jessejames5jessejames5 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1997 Ford Taurus. I have a problem with the heater core I heard nightmares on replaceing the heater core , is there any body that could help me out on how to replace and locating the heater core,

I have heard that in order to replace the heater core you have to take down the dash board. But i really dont know were is it at. I try finding any topics dealing with my situation but since im new at this forum. i dont know from were to start.

I would apreciate and thank , any body that would help me out.

some effects i get from this problem is that my windshild gets foggy alot and fog from the vents come out. theres a leak i have under the car some were in the passenger side

they had told me . that this is due to a leak on the heater core and or i have to replace some of the hoses or the heater core it self..

ANY ONE COULD HELP
    Please read the above posts. It's probably not the heater core just the cowling under the windshield wiper.
  • yellowbookyellowbook Member Posts: 2
    If you have a leak in the heater core, I would think that your coolant level would be going down. Also, you would smell the coolant-antifreeze inside the car. It might even be on your carpet. When your windshield fogs over, you would find it more difficult to clean the fog off the windshield. If you look under the hood, you will see two hoses attached to the firewall. Those hoses are the inlet and outlet to the heater core which is actually inside the car underneath the dash, and inside the heat ducts. It is not an easy job and actually some of the nuts holding everything may actually be on the engine side of the firewall..

I have a 1999 Taurus which has never had the well known cowl leak and which still has the original heater core. I have a 2007 Taurus which just had the passenger side leak and is just disgusting to me that Ford used the same old parts or else they used up old parts because they discontinued the old model Taurus. They do not give you any documentation on the leak repair under warranty probably to protect themselves.
  • rich3109rich3109 Member Posts: 1
    1997 Ford Taurus "G" 100,000 miles. When turn on heat, get a "bumping" sound in the dashboard and no heat comes out. Last year I would get lukewarm heat out of it and the "bumping" sound. I can eliminate the noise by turning temp control to about mid point in heat mode or a/c mode. A/C works good. But now I need heat. :cry:
  • uniquesdwuniquesdw Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Sable that has experienced the same problem. I paid the dealer over $600 to replace the blend door and control module once and the problem came back.
    Here's what I found. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for two or three minutes and re-connect. Then try your AC system again. It has worked for me twice now. Good Luck.
  • jerry72jerry72 Member Posts: 1
    I can only get cold air when the heat is on. I can hear the bumping noise in the dash. It was fairly warm but is now cold. I am thinking I need to work on the actuator and shut that door for a quick fix. Where is it located?
  • uniquesdwuniquesdw Member Posts: 4
    My '01 Sable has done the same thing. The sensor is on the bottom of the reservoir, which is mounted on the passenger side firewall. There are two nuts to remove to access the sensor. It takes about 5 minutes and the sensor can be bought on eBay for under $20, or you can get it at the dealer for a bit more. I did a temporary fix on mine by just unplugging the sensor connector under the reservoir as the light was annoying.