Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• buzz123buzz123 Member Posts: 35
    I think you're right about "...large cars in the very near future start using other alternative fuel sources." I think the Chevy Impala is already a "flex fuel" vehicle and can run E85 Ethanol. From what I've read it's a fairly inexpensive process for the automakers to do this. I can't remember exactly, but I think I read somewhere once that it only costs a few hundred bucks. I also read once that Toyota does have plans to make its's vehicles flex fuel as well. However, I can't recall their exact schedule for this. I'm sure every automaker has or will have similar plans. Even though I think this a pretty cool idea and more and more vevhicles will be flex fuel, I think there is a problem with this. From articles I've read, the problem is not with creating flex fuel cars, the problem is the avaiablity of E85 Ethanol. It's going to take a long time to create the stuff in quantities that make it useful. Then, they have to get it to the masses. Consequently, I would not make getting a flex fuel vehicle be my number one priority. If they had a flex fuel version of my favorite vehcile that was only a few hundred bucks more than the regular one, I'd get the flex fuel one just in case. However, if my favorite vehicle was not flex fuel, I would still get it over some other vehicle that was flex fuel becuase of the uncertain future.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    pat, can't see that discussion anywhere in Automotive News & Views.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    I have heard bad things about E85 isn't economical to create. Hybrids I think are the future of engines. I noticed in the NY area most city and state owned vehicles are the Toyota Prius and the Ford Escape like they know something. Then there is the Honda Civic GX that's run by natural gas. It's a scary time to be a car buyer in these times because of the unknown future. What if gasoline becomes too expensive in the near future and no matter how well a car depreciates, it will be worthless!
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    E85, as being shamelessly promoted by GM, is nothing but a ruse to circumvent governmental CAFE numbers. Even with a 51 cent/gal government subsidy, however, it continues to be unavailable at a price that would have to be more than 25% cheaper than regular just to equalize the mileage decrease. Corn, furthermore, is not the ideal source for the stuff - it apparently costs more energy to make it than it is worth. Buying an Impala because it can run on ethanol not likely to be a good bet for at least another 20 years. A truly economical hybrid seems to be limited to smaller cars, larger vehicle applications have been limited to 'power assist' with minimal FE improvements.
    Look to diesel/biodiesel for the next fuel source for large cars.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Feel free to create one. My point was that we are here to talk about the actual cars themselves, not so much the manufacturers. That kind of debate is more suited for Automotive News & Views than here on the Sedans board. :)
  • buzz123buzz123 Member Posts: 35
    I know what you mean about hybrids. They are definitely a great piece of technology! Of course the down side, is the added price. It would be nice if it only cost a few hundred dollars per vehicle instead of a few thousand. I've also seen articles about plug-in hybrids which basically add an extension cord to the car so you can charge it over night. Of course, it's not as simple as adding an extension cord. The major change is replacng the battery with a more powerful one that can handle being charged like that. Of course, that adds a lot more to the price. In theory, they say you could get 100 MPG out of a Prius. I'm sure you wouldn't get that much out of a large sedan, but I'm sure it would be a big improvement over what the cars of today are getting. Of course plug-in hybrids probably won't be cost effective for quite some time.
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    In message #31, I tried to explain why I think there can not be a single best car for less than $30K, but rather several best cars because we each arrange our "list" of priorities differently.In message #95 I said it was not loyality that made me choose this car,I had an open mind in evaluating the other choices.

My "list" in order of importance to me is:
    Smooth quiet ride, cloth seating, auto-climate control, engine/transmission performance, MPG, cost, and warranty. (Factory high-end audio with satellite radio) (Optional).

The Car Choices: Nissan Maxima has auto-climate and cloth but only is found in the firm riding SE.
    Ford and Chrysler offer auto-climate but you must take leather.
    Choices now narrowed to three, Avalon, Azera, and Lucerne.

Now this is not to be taken as bashing but are just my observations and opinions.
    Both the Avalon XL and Azera SE had too firm of a ride for me. I felt even minor road irregularities in each car. This is not a problem for other people, and I know in general, that the firmer the ride, the better the handling, they are engineering trade-offs.
    The Azera had tremendous power upon demand while the Avalon was noisy at idle and hesitated to downshift at highway speeds and when it did, the engine screamed audibly.

Since a Smooth Ride is Priority #1 I had to eliminate both cars. (The Azera was the best value and both cars met most needs on the "list").

The Lucerne CX comes with 16 inch tires that compliment it's great smooth ride. When I first drove this car, I actually smiled as I knew that this was it. The Buick Engineers had struck the correct balance of comfort and control for my taste.It also comes standard with an auto-level feature that levels the car when fully or partially loaded,(4or 5 people,possibly luggage too ) this really does improves handling on a long trip.
    For those who want a more controlled ride the CXL has 17 inch tires,firmer struts,and leather seats for about $2K more.
    The Lucerne was recently tested and proven quieter than a similarly priced Lexus! (Yes, it was a GM commercial, but they have the data to back up the claim).

The V-6 engine is old school but it is smooth and has abundant low end torque that meet my demands for every day driving and delivers 28 Mpg.highway. Over 25 million of the type 3800 engines have been sold with many going over 200,000 miles without major repairs and my Buick Park Ave. has 157,000 and still runs great. That = Dependability.
    The Lucerne CX starts at $26K MSRP (24K invoice) and mine will have every option except sunroof, by choice and will invoice at $27.7K.

The HOST has asked us to write about what we do not like about the car as well.
    1. Install a door pull in the upper front part of the door as you have to lean outside the car to close if fully open.
    2. Upgrade the cloth seats, they do not look well in Buick's Flagship Sedan.
    If you must keep the MSRP low, to attract customers, offer a "Cloth High-End Seating Option" as Buick now offers 5 or 6 leather options.
    3. Why are the seats wider in the MID-Size Lacrosse? (20 inches in width both front and back of the seat's surface area).
    The Full-Size Lucerne seats, bucket or bench, measure 20 inches in the front but taper to 18 inches at the rear of
    the seat.

No car is perfect, but the Lucerne exceeded expectations on the most important items on my "list".
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Very good post, enjoy your Lucerne.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I like to think I'm unbiased but either the Japanese products aren't as great as others make them out to be or I just don't see it

They aren't as great as they make them out to be . . AND, many of the American vehicles aren't as BAD as they make them out to be.

My brothers have owned Toyotas and Hondas, while I've owned Fords. Over 15 years, the only difference is that they pay more for them up front, and get more from them at the end. The net cost, though, is about the same. We've all had about the same amount of problems that have required repair at the dealer . . which is to say, not all that much.
    When I asked the original question, my purpose behind it was to try to get people to chime in about the Chevy Impala or Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger of Ford Five Hundred or in an off way about the Amanti.

Go climb into a Five Hundred and take it for a spin. Be sure to climb in and out of it, many times. Then go do the same with the other vehicles. Then see which you prefer.

If you like to step DOWN into your car, then you probably won't like the Five Hundred. If you prefer to just SLIDE OVER into your car, then the Five Hundred is what you're after.

I got mine with the AWD/CVT. Mainly, I wanted the CVT, but I also wanted the AWD. It was possible to get the CVT without the AWD, but not nearly as easy. With the AWD, you *had* to get the CVT.

This combo made it a perfect match for my Freestyle (basically, a tall station wagon version of the Five Hundred).

I have fully loaded versions of both (2005). Navigation wasn't an option then, so I don't have that. Also, the rear entertainment system wasn't an option on the Five Hundred, so I don't have that. I'd almost certainly leave that off my Freestyle if I did it again. Actually, I had intended to do that, but that particular vehicle never came in . . until about a week after I got the one with the DVD player. LOL.

I'd probably forego the moonroofs next time, too. But this was my first time for owning a vehicle with one . . and my first time ever for getting ALL the factory options on a vehicle. Probably be my last time, as well.

I love the vehicles . . . just as nice as any Toyota / Lexus / Honda / Acura whatever I've ridden in. And I have many friends and relatives that drive those.
    Great to hear you like your vehicles. I've heard a lot about problems with the Freestyle, have any?

What trim and options does your Five Hundred have? Did you buy new? What was the MSRP and final buying price? What was your negotiating strategy?

I like the 2006 SE. I don't need to spend on higher trims just to pay for extra options I'll have to pay even more for and a few added decorations. If higher trims came with an engine upgrade like the Impala or 300 I could see the reason.

The CVT is supposed to be the better trany. I wouldn't want the AWD, no need in NYC and save a little gas. I like the perfect crash ratings and ergonomics for the family. My desired options would be the safety and security and traction on the 2WD SE trim in gray, black, or silver. Hate the wood grain trim in interior. Would have to be shale interior. I think my target negotiated price would be around $20,000 with the $1,000 rebate. Car isn't selling that well, right?

I think it's the perfect family car. Ergonomic, affordability, safe is what I'm looking for. Wish I could add fuel economy into the equation but I'd have to sacrifice a priority or 2. :sick: :cry: :surprise:
    No issues at all with the Freestyle, nor the Five Hundred.

Both are Limited trims (2005), and had every available option.

I bought both of them new. The Freestyle was bought in Jan 2005 using X-plan pricing (a few hundred above invoice), and there was also a $1,000 rebate program at the time. The Five Hundred was bought in Jul 05 using the "employee pricing", and I believe there was also a $1,000 rebate on that one. The Freesytle was financed for 36 months at 1.9% . the Five Hundred was 36 months at 0%.

I live near Houston, so I opted for the lighter leather interior. I, too, would've rather NOT had the fake wood-grain interior. However, it HAS grown on me. The cheap little analog clock on the Five Hundred, though, still annoys me. LOL

I have no real "need" for the AWD, either. However, I do think it might (VERY) occasionally "save my bacon" when it's raining. It does cost 2 - 3 mpg and adds a couple hundred pounds to the weight of the car. However, it's a tried and true system (Haldex from Volvo), and the way it's implemented minimizes both extra weight AND the effect on gas mileage. Basically, the car is always in FWD mode unless traction is needed at the rear tires. Combined with the 'traction control', the whole thing is one very slick combo, IMO.

Sorry, I don't remember the actual final prices of either vehicle. I do know that the Freestyle was over 30k . . and I think that the Five Hundred was closer to 25k.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Barnstormer, the ingress/egress was one criteria, but with my past Ford experiences, it was a non-issue. Plus the Azera content and style has it over the 500 IMHO
    All Fords are NOT created equal. Neither are Toyotas, it would seem.
    In another year I'm thinking I'll buy the new car. But I think WITHIN the next 10 years, there will be a transition to an alternative fuel source. I'm afraid of buying a new car unless I knew it could use the alternative fuel.

I know about the Chevy Impala. Would it really be a mistake to buy the E85 version? It has the ability to use E85 or gasoline, right? Hybrids are just too expensive right now for me to consider those. My next vehicle I'm trying to keep out-the-door under $25,000. I don't think that would be possible since all hybrids are going for sticker price and according to Edmunds some cases over sticker! Looks like the cheapest hybrids is also the smallest, the Civic which MSRP is $22,150. The Camry Hybrid's MSRP is $25,900. Imagine how much a Avalon Hybrid would run! :surprise:

Large sedan hybrids would be out of my price range. So what's left as an alternative fuel source? E85, diesel, or hydrogen maybe? VW Jetta has a diesel version which starts at $22,680, but VW's are all expensive. That's why I'm considering the 3.5L Impala. The alternatives right now are too expensive or just aren't out yet.

The only other new alternative I think is left is 4 cyls. The only large sedan that has a 4 cyl is the Hyundai Sonata, which reviews aren't bad.

Otherwise I'll buy used. So when the time comes for the transition I won't lose too much money replacing it with a sedan that isn't too expensive and uses the future fuel source. Imagine if you bought a Toyota Avalon and in 2-5 years gasoline became too expensive. What would happen to residual values? I think they would be nonexistent because no one would want to buy one. Of course this would be the same for any vehicle that runs on gasoline. These are scary times for new car buyers my friends! :surprise: :cry: :sick:
    No, you buy the Impala because you like it, the price is right or whatever - not because it can or cannot run on alcohol. E85 will not be available in sufficient quantities or at a cheap enough price to make it an alternative within any reasonable lifespan of the car you intend to buy.
    Do you really think that gasoline prices won't jump to some ridiculous price like $12 a gallon within the next 5 years or so given the number of fuel thirsty vehicles out on the road today. Not to mention do you think that the number of cars on the road will increase or decrease? Also the usage of all these cars will increase or decrease? While all this fuel consumption is going on for 5 to 10 years down the road, what will be left of the diminishing fossil fuels? We will have no choice but to change to an alternative. I just hope it's one that will benefit everyone.
    GM sales down 22%: trucks down 31.2%, cars down 2.7%

Ford sales down 35.2%: trucks down 44.8%, cars down 6.7%

Chrysler sales down 37.4%: trucks down 40%, cars down 23.5%

Toyota sales up 11.7%: cars up 19.8%, trucks up 1.3%; Toyota out sold Ford by 17,000 vehicles!

Honda sales up 6%: cars up 6.4%, trucks up 6.8%; Company was unable to keep up with sales for small cars.

Nissan sales down 19.5%: trucks down 24.9%, cars down 14.5%

To GM, Ford, and Chrysler the key words are FUEL ECONOMY!
    To GM, Ford, and Chrysler the key words are FUEL ECONOMY
    Well, yes and no - the current variety of G,F,C cars while generally underpowered are more competitive when it comes to FE. Just like loyalbuickfan's Lucerne - 28mpg highway (his number) on a car that size and weight pretty darn good and in the same neighborhood as most other V6 cars in that category. Two reasons for the sales drops: 1) people don't trust US branded cars and, 2) given a choice between power and economy, people want both - a technology issue that the 'US' makers are not equipped to handle!
    Keep in mind also that a much, much larger portion of the 'US' mfgrs. 'sales' end up in fleets and the rental car lots - places where car are not sold, but rather acquired from the lowest bidder.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I like the looks of the previous generation Impala over the new one. If I were to pick between the Impala and Ford 500 for looks, the Impala even with its Camry type styling would get the edge. The Malibu is more distinctive in looks than most of the above mentioned cars. For longevity, I would take the Chevy's.
    Yes, the full sized Buick Lucerne V-6, is rated by GM at 28MPG Highway.
    I like the Impala, too, but I became disappointed when I learned that E85, as of now, looks like it won't help the masses. Out of all these sedans the 3.5L Impala accepts E85 and is the only one that uses an alternative fuel. :confuse:

I think that these sedans would benefit greatly by using alternative fuels because of weight affecting mpgs. I just hope when they do, they use diesel and don't go the route of hybrids. The increase in price of that sedan might not be included in this forum. :cry:

I've recently changed my priorities of my future vehicle. Look back over the past year how fast gas prices have risen. I know an old man who told me that he remembers paying .30 a gallon! Gas prices today are increasing much too fast. I live in Staten Island, NY. A couple of weeks ago we were paying $3.15 and today are paying over $3.30! What will I be paying next month?! :mad:

If I were to buy a vehicle tomorrow, I would go with a Mazda 3 hatch! :blush:
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Hey, watch the "old man" crack. At 59 I don't consider myself "old"...but I remember paying .25 a gallon in New York State growing up, and only .36 a gallon in California in 1969. Proportionally, I'm paying a bit less today than I did back in 1969, though that doesn't mean it feels good....
    and I just a few years younger than you are - remember very well back in about '77 negotiating the purchase of a 'hot' new car at that time - a Honda called an Accord. Price $4200.00. Gas at the time .50. And I think I was making about $8 grand/year at the time. So, since then the car and gas prices have both increased by a factor of about 6 - fortunately my salary has done better than that! Would agree with you that, in general, that our fuel is somewhat of a lesser part of our income than it used to be, especially if you consider how generally more fuel efficient autos have become.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Coal may be the answer in the near future and for many years to come. Coal can be liquefied, an excellent fuel for cars and trucks. The exhaust will be clean. With vast supplies of coal in the US, it should be economical too. But the oil companies are going to fight it tooth and nail.
    Wait and see.
    How about citing your source?
    Over what time period was this?
    How about Hyundai? What was its % increase or decrease?
    Yeah, car prices are up and your salary is up.
    But what about taxes and other costs? Look at property taxes, federal and state income taxes, phone bill taxes, tire taxes, oil disposal taxes, tire taxes, documentation fees, restaurant meal prices, bank fees, house prices, energy costs, maintenance costs including parts and labor, towing prices, insurance prices and decreases in coverage, medical and prescription prices, price of gold and silver, etc.
    Most people have less buying power now than then.
    The dollar is wasting away.
    abcnews.com was the source. Time period was July sales. They didn't mention Hyundai. :)

Real interesting info about coal. Is it really clean? If so, that's amazing! Hope it comes to pass soon! :D
    make a good alternative for a large sedan plus a good way to save on mpgs? It has 162Hp@5,800 rpms, 164 lbs-ft of torque @ 4250, a 105 cu ft interior volume, 16 cu ft trunk, and an EPA mpg rating of 24 city/ 33 highway.

Also invoice is $17,896 + $600 Destination - 1,500 current rebate = $16,996! Definitely can fit in this forum! ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Averigejoe, it is essential that you email me immediately.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Well, If you are going to drop into the midsize category, there are all kinds of different options. Just about anyone you pick will haul four people and their luggage comfortably. Fusion/Milan, Altima, Malibu, Accord, Camry, as well as Sonata, to name the major players. Accord is a bit low on trunk space, but for most people would be adequate.

If you want maximum space, you could go the minivan route and if you don't load them up with too many luxuries, can stay in the high teens, low $20's in cost, and they will blow away any sedan in spaciousness and comfort.
    Minivan MPGs aren't as good as sedans.

Is there any sedan out there that has exceptional MPGs, at least 105 cu ft interior, and has an out-the-door price under $25k?
    Large interior with the highest MPGs. Chevy Impala has same interior volume as Sonata and the Sonata is offered with a 4 cyl with 162 Hp! ;)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Ford 500. Easily out the door under 25. Gas mileage ok at 21/29 for a 200HP V6. Also has a huge trunk (bigger than my 06 Avalon)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Dodge Grand Caravan SE with 3.3L V-6. EPA mileage 19 city/26 highway. A bit lower fuel efficiency from the full size sedans but not a lot, and with gobs of passenger and cargo space. Seven passenger with Stow and Go, Three zone AC, less than $20K. I should know, we just bought one in June.
    Definitely can fit in this forum!
    well, maybe for you - volume numbers mean little, these are larger cars - go sit in the back seats (and front) of an Avalon and the 500 - you can actually expect that real full size adults could be comfortable back there on a long trip. Not so with things like Accords, Altimas, Fusions, Sonatas, Malibus, Camrys etc.. Has to do with wheelbase, length and width. Hyundai has the Azera that fits very well into this category.
    Further, I don't believe that most shoppers for this type of car really would have anything to do with a wheezy little 4 banger because what they are looking for primarily is smooth and quiet to go along with that size.
    You started a Great Forum open to discussion, and buy it's very title it should limit our focus to only those
    cars that are classified as Large sedans.

In one of your earliest messages(#13) you posted an accurate list of the choices.

Just because one parameter like interior volume exceeded
    a spec. by one cu. foot it does not really "make it" a Large car.

The price comparisons would then be biased toward the mid size cars presented.

The EPA publishes Miles per Gallon Handout Booklets,and the Categories are strictly established and that is what I think we should adhere to,in this discussion.

Please don't change the rules, a mid size discussion can be started elsewhere!
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    FYI - Hyundai went up and had record sales in July.

Saw an Azera today. The car looked real sharp, both in motion and while parked. :)
    Since you mentioned, EPA classifies the Sonata and the Azera, both as full-size (large) sedans.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    This is a little unrelated to this thread, but I find it funny that the Grand Marquis and Crown Vic are never mentioned in this forum. They are both "large cars under $30,000" and certainly still have some fans left. Sometimes I rent one when away on business and actually think it not a bad vehicle (except for the terrible depreciation and MPG)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

The Marquis and Vic are like the Lincoln Town Car, to me. They just sorta "float" on the road . . . absolutely way too little road feel. "Boats", as some people call them.

The other cars, while not sports cars, at least have SOME road-feel left in them.
    To Captain2 and Loyalbuickfan- I'm just trying to be cautious in deciding what's best for the future. I don't want a car that 5 years from now takes $100 to fill up! That would be my worst nightmare, especially if I liked the car (like the 500)!

But you guys are right. I stand corrected. ;)
    LOVE THAT 500!!! :shades:
    I agree. Very sharp! I wish Hyundai would come out with an alternative fuel for it though. EPA 19 city and real world figures are too low for my pocket. :blush:
    Grand Marquis or Crown Vic were too old school, I thought. Some that I did add still have barely been mentioned. Barely a word about Kia Amanti, Dodge Charger, or Chrysler 300! :confuse:
    ...about the 2008 Chevy Malibu! Will it be considered a large sedan?
    and take a trip down to your Hyundai dealer, sit in both cars front and rear, and then tell me they are both large sedans? Not to mention the other obvious possible selections in this group - the Avalon, 300, 500, Lucerne all larger still. It is wheelbase and vehicle length/width that make for things like legroom - especially in the rear seats, that qualify a large sedan - not necessarily interior volume
    I have. Many times, actually.

I never refuted the fact the Sonata is smaller than "true" large sedans. My response, rather, is directed toward the other poster regarding EPA classifications.

FWIW, the Sonata is quite large - defn. larger than most midsize sedan, so it would not be far-fetched to consider the car placed at the lower end of the large sedan category. Similarily, I would have no problem with people calling the new Elantra a midsize, despite it competes with compact vehicles in the class.
    What makes a sedan a large sedan? Is it interior and trunk volume? Is it the length of the sedan? Maybe wheelbase or weight? Or a combo of some or all of these things?
    better stay with some sort of econobox with a 12 gallon tank - 5 years from now or next year who knows?