Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Somebody didn't read their membership agreement.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The Mountaineer gets us 3 more MPG in town than the Gator. The Mountaineer is a good SUV. It's not big enough for me, but my wife loves it.
  • kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    What do you all recommend for tire pressure on Michelin Pilot LTX tires (the originals on my Navi '03)?

Thanks in advance.
    Never go below the mfrs recommended pressure and never go above the max pressure labeled on the tire. Lower pressures will ride softer - higher pressures will ride firmer but yield slightly better mpg and handling. Try 5 lbs over the mfr recommendation and see how it feels, then adjust up or down from there. Also remember to check for uneven tire wear frequently.
  • enskankenskank Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm a long time member, (2002) but have'nt posted in a while.
    I traded my 98 Nav for an early '03 with the CD based, joystick control Navigation system. Does anyone know if there is any reason I should NOT be able to swap out that system with the newer and current DVD touch screen system. There will probably be some wiring and harness differences but other than that...There is one on ebay right now and if I were sure of the compatability. I will be asking my dealer also but my faith in whatever their answer is.......well you've all had experience with dealers, service managers, etc.
    Ed (enskanker)
    I agree completely. I like my tires a bit firmer for the handling improvement. They don't squeal on turns that way. I run mine at about 40 on the navigator, 35 on the Mountaineer.
  • lukeandmugslukeandmugs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Navigator with 278,000 miles on the original engine and tranny. Why doesn't Lincoln offer grill badges like Mercedes and other luxury cars for high mileage levels attained? My Navigator looks and runs like new in spite of hard driving and towing a 5,000 lb boat all summer, every summer and driving through the Adirondak woods every hunting season on dirt roads through deep snow etc. Am I the only guy that has thought about this? I hope not. :confuse:
  • herc76herc76 Member Posts: 52
    Hello! I have a couple of questions to ask. I have a 02 Navigator that has 54,000 miles on it, but still owe $25,000. I was trying to trade it in for 03 that has only 34,062 miles on it and the dealership is selling it for $25,999. I already know I'm upside down on my vehicle. The blue book is saying my vehicle is worth $18,490, but the dealership is saying my vehicle is worth $14,500 in their black book. Which does not make any sense at all when I look on-line I notice a lot of vehicle from the same year and about the same mileage is selling for $20,000. Now I know if I did a trade the will still end up selling the truck for around that price. The also was saying even though me and my wife have 700+ credit score that we still have a high interest. Any suggestions????
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Big SUV's values have taken a big hit recently and the books may be having trouble keeping up (link). And the dealer isn't going to pay the TMV for your '02 since they have to turn around, stick it on the lot in a slow season and eventually turn a profit on it. On the other hand, they probably don't have many lookers for that '03 either.

Try asking the pros over in Real-World Trade-In Values for a price.

You can also get a rate from a bank or credit union and take that to the dealer and invite them to match or beat it.

Steve, Host
    Thanks I appreciate it!
    Why do Navi's depreciate so quickly? I now right it is because of the gas prices but before that it seems like the value drops so dramatically.
    When they first came out, they didn't - they held almost 70% of value after 4 years initially - but they suffer from American Car Syndrome now..... There are just too many of them out there on the used market. It's a matter of supply & demand. The Navigator sold very well, especially before everybody else copied them, they were the only new luxury SUV on the market, and they were affordable, which the Range Rover isn't so much. Now, with discounting the new ones $10,000, that drives down the resale even further.
    I see. Do you think they will ever hold value in the future?
    Oh, who knows? Right now, they are a boat anchor because of fuel prices. I wouldn't count on it in the near future.
  • ccarriganccarrigan Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 Navigator, Luxury edition. It does not have a nav system, and it does not have the nav butons on the steering wheel. With that said, i was wondering if someone could tell me if the Lincoln factory touchscreen nav radio will work if instaled in my Navigator. I do realize that i will lose some of the feature, esp. the voice control feature due to the incorrect steering wheel button. I want to know if it will work, or if i will completely screw up my truck. I would also like to know if I am wasting my money in purchasing this unit.

Could someone please help with some info/advice?
    Thanks!!!!
  • mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    Hi!
    I was reading over a couple pages of recent posts and have a question.

My last vehicle purchase was back in Jan '04, when gas was $1.25/g.
    Since then gas has more than doubled (Less than two years) and if the trend continues, we could see prices in the $5-6 range in only a few short years.

I've never owned an SUV and have no problem in regards to ownership, people should be able to get what their family wants/needs.

With that said, if prices do get to $5/g in ... say 2007 will it change the way you view purchase or will you stay with the current type?
    If that is how it is in 2007, and it is time for a new vehicle purchase would you replace it with the same, but new model or go with something else more economical?

Thanks.
    I am going to let my Navigator, which I love, go back when the lease is up, and not replace it with a 3rd one. I'll drive my Lexus, because it gets me 6 more mpg in town than the Gator does. It's all because of the gas prices, really. Because I use the Gator for all of its features frequently. But I have a second SUV. Under the current circumstances - one SUV will do.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    I bought my '04 Nav. If I had leased it, like NV, I would consider returning it at lease end, assuming I could find something else with better gas mileage to fulfill my needs of: big enuf for family of 5 vacations, 4WD, good comfort, ride and handling. However, and I haven't checked to confirm, I suspect it's a tough market out there to sell a Navigator these days so I'll probably keep mine.

All that said, and though my Nav is lucky to break 17mpg on the hwy and gets <12mpg around town, I still love the thing. My wife drives it mostly doing soccer mom type things - kids to/from school, shopping, etc and while it is overkill unless the whole family of 5 is in it, I still like the fact that my wife and kids are in a vehicle that will protect them far better than an econobox should something happen. Peace of mind is worth something, n'est pas? Plus there's nothing like it for long family trips what with room aplenty, the DVD player, Nav system, AWD and 4WD, etc etc. A Prius is fine for commuting, but if u got a family, u need a family vehicle.

Oh, one more thing, over the long haul with higher initial cost and huge battery replacement and other maintenance costs etc, that Prius will cost a heck of a lot more than their greener-than-thou owners think.
    Heyjewel, 17MPG isn't too bad, our '01 Grand Caravan gets about 21MPG, but can climb to about 26 if driven carefully. We used to drive our GC like a hellion and it only did about 16 in overall mixed driving. We have a family of 5 and we use it when we travel all together.

Our other vehicle is my primary commuter car, I travel almost 100miles daily so we wanted to max out MPG. It's a Honda Civic Hybrid, and I'm getting 63-68MPG and +900 mile tanks. Most people get less, but I push the envelope as much as I can.

When it's time to replace the Grand Caravan ( in 2011 ) I'm not sure what will be the next vehicle.
    I hear you about family safety, and should be one of the most important considerations.

Perhaps they will have a hydrogen Gator or some other major fuel improvement by then?
    Hey, mister!

17 mpg ain't too bad when there's 5 people and all their gear on board. That's 85people-mpg:>)

A hydro-Gator eh? Heh heh. Anything's possible I guess. Wouldn't want to buy the first year of hydrogen powered cars though! Could be some pretty explosive bugs to work out!

I was recently in the market for another vehicle. I drove a Civic hybrid. It was kinda nice, but I gotta admit the saying "can't get out of it's own way" must've been written with that car in mind:>) And your mpg figures are way above what epa or even honda says. You should open a gas-savers driving school!

Natch, the idea of 50 or 60 mpg appeals to me for a commute vehicle. (Presently I drive 70 miles round-trip and am driving a Lincoln LS which gets about 23mpg on my commute). But I am concerned about the long-term costs of hybrid technology. Did u lease your Civic hybrid? From what I've read (autoextrememist.com is a good place), whomever is the owner of a hybrid when the batteries need replacing is in for an extremely rude awakening!
    Thanks Jewel.
    I bought my little car, and did alot of research before hand. You're wise about waiting for the bugs to get out of new technology, I too waited an extra year.
    The battery issue doesn't concern me for a number of reasons.

It is warranted for 10yr/150K miles....But I hope/plan to drive this over 300K miles over 10 years. I use the battery so lightly that I think in my case it is a non-issue. Battery is another reason why I choose a Honda, and not the Prius...The Prius must have a good battery or be stranded, while Honda will just keep running, but with less performance. If I should decide to replace it, I could get a guaranteed used one, or possible after-market ones, or spend the $2K for a new one installed. But in the case that I've already crossed 250K miles I'll just drive it as is.

But enough about my commuter car!
    Honestly, I've never driven a Navigator, it's probably a good thing because if I did, I'd likely want one :blush:
    Ford will have a hybrid Fusion year after next. They don't save enough fuel at current prices to pay for the cost difference but if you want to feel green you'll have a FoMoCo option other than the Escape.
    Will bubble burst once consumers do the math? (Detroit News)

We have a whole Hybrid Vehicles forum with lots of discussions - check it out!

Steve, Host
  • njbaran99njbaran99 Member Posts: 69
    I have an '05 Navi Ultimate and just got back from a 600 Mile Round Trip. You have heard it before, but there is NOTHING on the SUV Market that can compare to the comfort and ride of the Navi. This is my 1st extended trip since I bought the Navi in March (just before the Gas Hike).

Wow, what an absolutely luxurious ride. Doing 85 to 95 is a smooth as sitting still. MPG is bad around town in the 12's and I get close to 17 MPG on the Navi loaded with 3 Adults and 3 Children.

I guess I see it this way, Navi is advertised at 13 City/18 Hwy. Take your averge midline car that gets say 18/24 or 5/6 MPG better City/Hwy. Is the fuel cost of 50% more worth it. Well, that is for each to decide. But man, you can't beat the ride. Sort of like paying for 1st Class Seat in a Plane vs Economy Class, sure is nice up front.

Like I said, anyone who owns a late model Navi knows what I am talking about.

Given the likely severe depreciation, I could not afford to sell it and replace. Plan to keep it for awhile; regardless of Gas Prices, as if they continue to climb, I wouldn't get anything for it anyway.

Interesting enough, I was looking to trade my Chyrsler T&C Minivan for a Honda or Toyota Minivan and one dealer told me, "We Do Not Take Any Domestic SUVs on Trade". Well, the Media sure had tainted SUV's. But just smile as you drive in comfort passing the econo-boxes.
    Nothing makes the miles go by blissfully like the Gator on the highway..... I don't even mind the mileage really - but I may not say that if gas continues to escalate.
    The best solution is to get an economy car for running errands, commuting, etc. and keep the Navi for longer trips or outings with friends or family. Takes an extra parking space but it does give you the best of both worlds and would make your Navi last even longer.
    "The best solution is to get an economy car for running errands, commuting, etc. and keep the Navi for longer trips or outings with friends or family"

Yeah, that's what I did. My 'economy' car is a Lincoln LS :>)
    I guess it's all relative.......

I'm probably trading in my LS for a Fusion. At least the Aviator is averaging 16. I'm doing good to get 17 in my LS (18 if I'm really careful). 22 would be a nice improvement.
    Almost forgot - to be followed by a Mustang GT convertible w/manual in a couple of years. This way I won't have to drive the Mustang every day so I don't mind getting the vert or the stick (or the likely terrible fuel mileage).
    Speaking of ride...
    Years ago I had a 1959 Oldsmobile 98.
    Back in its day was a beautiful, luxury vehicle.
    That car was practically carved from an anvil and the sheer weight alone made it float over anything. Ahhh, the memories.
    That did about 13-14MPG too.
    "I'm probably trading in my LS for a Fusion. At least the Aviator is averaging 16. I'm doing good to get 17 in my LS (18 if I'm really careful). 22 would be a nice improvement. "

Allen;

Not a Zephyr, eh? :>) The Fusions look nice. If u get the V6, that's pretty much the same engine as I have in my LS (V6, Getrag). I do get 22-23 on my commute but it will drop under 20 if my wife drives it around town. U have the V8 don't you? Still, 17 seems low for that, even if it's mostly city. Lighter Fusion V6 probably will be a bit more mpg than my LS?
    Yeah, V8. Too much stop-n-go on my commute. That AJ-V8 mileage drops like a rock in traffic. Right now it's 16.8.

Don't really like the Zephyr as much as the Fusion or Milan, not to mention the $5K savings.

If I wasn't looking to get a mustang later I might wait for the 3.5L Zephyr or the SVT or ST Fusion.
    "Yeah, that's what I did. My 'economy' car is a Lincoln LS :>) "

Me too - my economy car is a Lexus LS430 :)
  • firstnavfirstnav Member Posts: 21
    Hey All,
    I have the standard audiophile stereo in my '05 Gator. I know I can get Sirius installed at the dealer for about a bazillion bucks, but I was wondering if any of the aftermarket XM tuners will connect to it. I'm running around with a portable XM car kit and I'm tired of messing with the wires. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I just took a 1000 mile round trip vacation and I can't quite figure it out. I go 5 mph over the 65 or 70 speed limit and I average 16.5mpg. I go 10 mph over the limit and I average 16.7mpg. I guess if I do about 150, I could make the trip on a single tank. That is if I lived. :)
    Touchy subject? A few messages ago someone (misterme) came by trolling about how we feel about gas prices. Naturally, we hate them, right?!!! I filled up yesterday at the cheapest premium (91 octane) price I've seen in weeks here in the SF Bay area

- $3.03/gal

I followed misterme back to his hideout in the hybrid forum area to learn more about how he gets (or says he does) 69mpg in a car rated for 45. He pointed me to his description of how he drives for mileage and while some of his methods would be a real stretch to implement in any kind of traffic, especially here where I live, I nevertheless decided to try for myself as I did a 160 mile round trip drive on at in the Navigator. I did learn a couple of things, maybe nothing new, but I'll pass it on here and I'd love to hear from anyone else who has tips for good gas mileage.

Firstly I'll say that my 2004 Nav w/17K miles gets in the 16s on the road and more like 11 around town. unfortunately what I'll describe applies mainly to on the road (hiway) miles. My results are purely from the on-board mpg calculator. The terrain I drove on is mildly hilly with some long fairly flat miles and one drive up and over an 1800 ft mtn pass and down the other side. Results are divided into 3 sections based on the legs of the trip and pretty much eliminating most city/traffic light areas.

The first leg I reset the mpg calc as I accelerated onto the freeway from the stop light near my home. Up and over 1800 feet, down the other side and proceeded 75 or so miles to my freeway destination exit. So this was pretty much all freeway, with that long climb up at the start. mpg at end: 17.6 Not a real big deal, but better than my usual 16.5 or so.

next leg again I reset mpg as I started onto the freeway up a hill then down into Berkeley and on down hiway 17 (880) to an offramp in Fremont. This was about a 35 mile leg and the mpg at end was 20.4 !! There may have been a little more down than up involved in this leg, but I must say that the number was staying pretty constant as I drove.

Final leg was Fremont to home, appx 55 miles, again up and over the mountain and the number was 17.2. I did hit a little freeway traffic on this leg and I got off and bought a bunch of stuff at Ikea and went thru the drive-up line at In n Out Burger on the way so theres a wee bit of city in this number.

Anyhow, I come away convinced I can improve the mileage #s in the Nav anywhere from 5 to 20 or so %. So what did I do?

On the first leg, I didn't really slow down much from normal, but I did experiment a little. Maybe did 70-75 top speed. I did follow some suggestions from misterme and this is where it gets a bit hairy and nerve-wracking cause u gotta keep an eye out on everyone else.
    * Basically, a light foot on the gas whenever it's on the gas.
    * S L O W acceleration.
    * Shift into *Neutral* whenever momentum will keep you going (like a small or even large downward slope in the road - though gotta watch speed - don't let the thing run away from ya.)
    * Use cruise for flat areas, decelerate using the cruise or your right foot when going up a hill - that's where a lot of gas gets burned - and you end up going 20 or more mph slower as you crest the hill (that's when u gotta watch out for following cars) then going down hill you can accelerate again with a gravity assist.

Even short rises in the road, if u decel or even shift to neutral, u'll see the mpg begin to tick up. Whereas if you kept up speed up the rise, it'd tick down.

I noticed that if I kept speed up around 75 or more, which is where I usually am, keeping up with the Jones' and all, the mpg meter seemed to want to level off around 16.4 or so. But if I slowed down (I know, I hate doin it too) to between 60 and 65, I could be at 19.0 to 20.5 and it would hold or be slowly going UP if I also practised the neutral momentum and slowing down til crest the hill deals.

Around town?? Slow acceleration, coast in neutral where possible, certainly no sense racing to the next stoplight - a nice coast up to it is fine. Of course combining trips saves gas too, don't idle over a minute unless at a traffic stop, etc.

OK, lots of this in apple pie, and lots prolly sounds nutty (like shifing into neutral) and might be unsafe at times. But it did pay off. I love seeing that meter at 20.4mpg doing 63mph on the freeway in my big comfortable Navigator, gotta admit that.

I'm now trying all these methods with my LS for a complete tank (I don't have a trip computer in my V6 LS). She usually gets right about 22mpg on my commute, and I drive it like it wants to be driven. Now, I'm wussy-footin and neutralising and coasting etc Oh, and keeping my speed to 60-65 on the freeway. This morning, no kidding, at 60mph the ONLY vehicle I passed was a garbage truck. Everyone else flew by me. I'll check back in on that board and this when I have a number for this tank.

I don't know how to link to a message here, but if u want to see misterme's complete writeup, it's message #323 in the "Hybrid Tips: Optimizing mileage" forum.
    Coasting in neutral is illegal in most states.

Here's the link:

Hybrid Tips: Optimizing mileage

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Just copy and paste the link. Our software takes care of the rest: misterme, "Hybrid Tips: Optimizing mileage" #323, 30 Sep 2005 2:03 pm

tidester, host
    Interesting. Seems like I do 5mph over the limit and I get passed by every hybrid on the road. Maybe it's just an eastern thing.
    "Coasting in neutral is illegal in most states."

Really? I didn't know that. Certainly, as I pointed out, it *could* be dangerous if done in traffic. In any case that's one they'd have a tough time catching me doing, eh?

Also, if true, perhaps the original poster (misterme) should have been told this as well.
    Yep, it's considered reckless driving here in Idaho (link).

The language here says no coasting in neutral when traveling upon a downgrade - I suppose it's perfectly fine to coast uphill all you want. :-)

Steve, Host
    A facinating experiment, george - and I appreciate the info. Sounds like so much work, I'd rather pay for the gas - however, I do drive quite conservatively IMO, most of the time. Except, on the highway, I do go 80, and slowing down there is the best thing you can do to reduce wind drag, and increase mileage. I don't have the patience. I'd probably get 20 mpg out of a Prius!!!!!
    " I don't have the patience. I'd probably get 20 mpg out of a Prius!!!!!"

Haha. Well, u might as well keep the Nav then eh?!

I'm not inclined to do 55 or 60 mph either. You being in Nevada, it's got to be real hard to go that slow. I may take a long trip with the family over the holidays and would like to get better mpg if I can. If I slow down to 60-65 and practice some of these tips and saw 19 or 20mpg hiway I'd be pretty happy.

I could get a Prius or Civic and get 40 or 50 mpg, but then I'd have to leave 1/2 the family or all the gear at home:>)

Just ain't no winnin.
    "A few messages ago someone (misterme) came by trolling about how we feel about gas prices"

To set the record straight, if you take a look at my message it wasn't trolling at all, and in fact as benign as possible, only had a question.
    Honestly asked, honestly answered.

I'm glad that you were able to get some good results using a few of my tips, that's why I posted them.
    You're right, all of them are not applicable all the time under all conditions and while it may take some initial work to implement them, after a while good habits become routine and hardly even thought of.

99.9% of drivers don't realize how much improvement/savings can be had no matter what they drive and mistakingly think their vehicle just gets what it gets.
    If you don't want to implement them that's fine, but to many people even a little relief from the pump helps.....or could be alot of relief depending on how their used, even in a Navigator.
    Thanks for posting a link to the tips here, I'm glad they're getting around. ;)
    I've not noticed a whole lot of engine braking with the '05 6 speed tranny. Would there be a significant increase in mpg by coasting in neutral? Just a thought.
    Naturally, there wouldn't be, when you're only going from 6 to 5. For engine braking that matters, you'll need to go back to at least 4, or maybe 3.
  • dalafleurdalafleur Member Posts: 2
    I currently drive an '04 Eddie Bauer Expedition. I love the interior of the Navi but I wonder, aside from the additional safety features standard on the Navi, is there additonal differences which would account for the big difference in price, e.g. more sound deadening insulation, etc.?
    You can get most of the stuff on the
    EB that you can get on the Gator - but not the plasma display dash. I guess the engine is the same now, didn't used to be.
    Hi firstnav.

Your 6 speed tranny I'm sure keeps the revs on the hiway lower than the 4 speed tranny in my '04. So probably you would see less of a difference. Coasting in neutral (which I've been informed is illegal in some states so be aware of that) helps because it drops the engine RPM to idle speed and takes the load off it.

So I promised to report back on my mileage experiments with my Lincoln LS and the number is in. After wussy-footing it for about 280 miles, I got 28.3 mpg which is about 25% better than my normal 22mpg when I pretty much hot-rod the car.
    That's incredible, George. I'm very impressed!
    Wow! I'm impressed! I wouldn't expect that kind of improvement.

I mentioned engine braking before because I have had to change my driving habits while driving the 'Gator. In my Dakota and Outback, I am able to pretty much judge how much they will decelerate when I take my foot off of the accelerator, but I'm having trouble with the Navigator because of the 'coasting'. I know that while coasting, the tranny tends to 'drive' the engine, keeping the rpm's up while decelerating. I would assume that the higher gear ratio would keep the engine rpm's down while coasting.