Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• qwkgatorqwkgator Member Posts: 2
    whats up people ,
    i have an 02 navigator i bought in march with 36k on it, at about 38k when im at hwy speed then i would floor it it would kick down to around 3200 -3500 rpms n hover at that rpm for a sec or 2 then take off . at that same time i was getting 17.3 mpg. i put on a after market air intake on it and was getting almost 19mpg on the hwy. the tranny problems stayed. about 2 weeks ago i was driving and i watched the mpg drop to around 15 mpg and the tranny feeling is still the same. brought to dealer the found a break in the overdrive wiring fixed it but everthing is the same. put the stock air intake back it and got around 16mpg dont know what the problem is . i have 42k miles on it now . can any body help ???
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Don't forget, you have a ton more weight and the corresponding inertia with the Gator that you didn't have with the other two cars. If you're going downhill, you're holding a lot more car back with the engine brake, and it may be overcome by gravity.
  • firstnavfirstnav Member Posts: 21
    Good point. It's just been a little scarry while driving brainless and suddenly looking down on the top of the trunk in front of you. :) BTW, I just drove to Western Md. from the Balto. area today (and back). Pushing 5mph over the limit, up and over the mountains, I got 16.3 I'm not displeased, especially since the dang thing just sits in the garage most of the week. But I do really like this truck. I think I'll keep it.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    If it makes anyone here feel much better about their SUV, I'm on my 2nd LS, and the highest (which I almost became orgasmic) that I ever had any of them get was 15.3 MPG.
    Yeah, but you get orgasmic at super market grand openings, don't you, ANT? :shades:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Now, now! Let's stick to the script! :)

tidester, host
    Ironically now that you mention it, they upgraded the Walmart in my area of town, and through my participation in the local city boards we granted Walmart to expand to a Super Walmart, provided they upgraded the exterior facade of their store, and pump more trees/foilage into the parking lots as well.

Now completed, it's amazing how well they did it. Simply one of the most elegant Walmart I've seen. Parking lot is a forest, and they also donated over $90K in trees to the city to plant elsewhere as they wish. Now THAT was orgasmic actually.

But now that I mention HUGE, like the Navigator. My parents living in FTL have had to make due with generators to power their house since Hurricane Wilma ravaged S.FL in the hopes of improving local economy and improving run-down areas. heh... I receive a call from my mother threatening to come visit me because they are running out of gas to power the generators...(Remember, no power means, gas stations can't pump gas).

So I tell her, out of the 4 cars in the garage, take the Navigator which has a huge gas tank and SUCK! She didn't get it... "SUCK damn it, SUCK the gas out, Syphon it !!!" So now thanks to the Navigators huge gas tank, they have enough gas to power the generators for a few more days.

And that's a nice positive story that just because you spend $70+ on filling a Navigators gas tank, doesn't mean it goes to waste, it can actually power a home ;)
    Well - here's the poop on the Gator, which only cost me $63 to fill today. Because of the 12.2 MPG it gets me in town, I decided to get the old Lexus out of mothballs and drive it a bit right now, which I've been doing. Its low MPG number is the same as the Navigators high number. Problem is, as nice as the Lexus is, I miss my Gator when I don't drive it to work. Drove it through a large gravel mining pit today on business, and would hate to take a Sedan through that. But the Gator handled it great, and the clients I had with me, enjoyed the tour. It's hard to give up the utility of the Navigator, gas tank notwithstanding. We have had no recent natural disasters (I sold my house in Gainesville, BTW), not unhappy about it now, although they usually weren't hurt too badly. Sold my Caravan I kept there with it.

My wife wants me to dump the Navigator in favor of a more fuel efficient car, like her Mountaineer???? Not a dimes worth of difference, IMO, but it's a perception thing....
    Maybe replace the Navigator, with the next Aviator ? Also, there's the "people mover" which Lincoln is currently developing. I hear it'll have some executive "Voom" under the hood that will make it sound Very Violently VOLuptous... ahem...
    Yes, that NEW Aviator is starting to sound very appealing. Anxious to see more stuff on it, and check it out. That teaser pic you posted looked good, from what we were allowed to see. Might just be perfect.
  • qwkgatorqwkgator Member Posts: 2
    this problem has been fixed, the dealer couldnt figure it out and couldnt duplicate the complaint, but discussed possibilities, I personally changed the fuel filter and to my amazement found that it was severely clogged. Problems are gone . so much for dealer technicians
  • awaxawax Member Posts: 8
    Steve,

Do you mind listing the main features that the Mobile Ease added to the Navi?

I have a 2003 with the DVD navigation. I just purchased my first Bluetooth Cellphone and also bought a Bluetooth PDA. I am thinking of having the Mobile Ease installed but am wondering what features it adds.

- Does the Navi screen display the CID?
    - Does it add hands free operation via the built in microphone for the navigation voice control?
    - Is the address book transferred to and from the navigation system?
    - Do you know what the difference between "Mobile Ease" and "Hands Free Cell Phone Prep Harness"?

I am trying to decide if it is worth the money to get it installed. It needs to be relatively easy to use in order gain acceptance from my wife.

Any comments you have would be greatly appreciated!

George
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Other than the front and rear fascias, this Navigator prototype appears identical to the current model in both its size and shape."

2007 Lincoln Navigator (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Looks pretty cool!- I like the square gauges.
    I was told the 2007 Mark LT (Bad Name!) Truck is getting a similar update
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    It IS rare to get such a good quality interior pic of an "under development" car. Nice find!!

That front grill is worrying me a bit -- I like the classic Lincoln waterfall grill -- I'll reserve judgment till the secrecy cover comes off.

I'm glad they are getting rid of the plastic radio cover. I always though that was unnecessary and looked cheap when I owned a navi. The entire center console always seemed a bit "hollow" when you tapped on it and looked a bit plasticky for an SUV of this caliber -- I hope they make it more solid feeling and luxuriously feeling on the inside.
  • njbaran99njbaran99 Member Posts: 69
    I see edmunds picked up some Spy Shots of the '07 Navi.

My initial impression is the changes seem a bit odd. Moving to a Horizontal Grill implace the dominant Vertical Grill, and back to Round Fogs vs the Squares that came in 05'.

It appears the overall shape is the same, with just the Front and Rear Facia Changing.

Inside looks a little too retro from what you can tell, but Spy Shots are tough sometimes.

I have an '05 Navi Ultimate, so maybe I am too biased here, but I like the simple Lines of the '05 and '06 Front and Rear and the Dash is classic and simple.

Sort of glad to see that the underpinnings' of the Navi does not appear to be changing, as those who have an 05'+ know the right is absolutely superb. Granted MPG is bad, but again, it's a 6,000# Brick.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    "I have an '05 Navi Ultimate, so maybe I am too biased here, but I like the simple Lines of the '05 and '06 Front and Rear and the Dash is classic and simple."

Hey, don't forget the '04! I have an '04 Ultimate and it's little different from the 5 and 6. The only 'big' improvement is going from a 4 speed to a 6 speed transmission. Even so, the 4 speed in my 04 is (so far) flawless. Probably the best shifting auto tranny I've ever used.
    Hey, gteach! Didn't know you were still lurking around here. I'm about to turn in my 03 Navigator in a couple of weeks, I'm out of miles on the lease, about 1.5 months early. Not getting another one, only because of the price of gas, and my life has changed a bit and I don't intend to be doing anymore camping. My Mountaineer can tow my toys just fine. I remember you did the same, and replaced it with your LS430, which is what I'm now driving too mostly.

Question for U: Did you turn your Navigator in early, and if so, did they charge you the $200 early termination fee?
    If they won't, I'll give this truck back now, rather than keeping it as a driveway ornament.

Good to hear from you again.

NV
    "Even so, the 4 speed in my 04 is (so far) flawless. Probably the best shifting auto tranny I've ever used."

I totally agree, heyjewel. Both Navigators I've owned had awesome transmissions, and the 04 shifts like butter. Actually, the whole power train in these trucks is amazing.
    Turned in my 03 Navigator this morning, terminating the Red Carpet Lease without buying another Lincoln. First time I've ever done that. Have to say it was a very pleasant experience, unexpectly so. They did NOT charge me the early termination fee, and said Ford will bill me for my last payment (no doubt about that) but didn't demand a check from me at the time, which I also expected. Whole process took about 15 minutes, and they didn't even pressure me to buy another car. Much more pleasant actually, than when I have bought the cars out of the lease.

Kudos to Lincoln for being a class act.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper would like to speak to consumers who have purchased or shopped Lincoln within the past year. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info. and city/state of residence no later than December 30, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    But that grille just doesn't do it for me. I like the interior and the rear (I see a trend there). I've heard it looks a lot better in person. I hope so.
    My initial impression when I saw the pic of the exterior was --- Huh?!?!?!?

The elegant waterfall grill now looks like a teenager with a mouth full of braces giving off a HUUUUGE smile. I'm scratching my head on this one. When I saw the rear end exterior pics I thought I was looking at a Honda Odessy Minivan -- anyone care to post side-by-side pics to see the striking similarity of those two rear ends???

The interior looks top notch though -- kudos to Lincoln for that.... but my goodness, that front end just saddens me -- what have they done to this truck????

I REALLY REALLY hope it looks better in person.
    "The interior looks top notch though -- kudos to Lincoln for that.... but my goodness, that front end just saddens me -- what have they done to this truck???? "

Yeah, I agree. It is really really sad and ugly. The grille looks like a cross between a Chevy Silverado and a Dodge RAM. And the big chrome thing on top looks like a bug deflector. The rest of the Nav I like, though I would change a couple of things but could easily live with them. The front though is far too ugly to be seen in.

It's also interesting to me that they **seem** to be sticking with the name 'Navigator' instead of going to the 'MK N' I wonder - could it be that Ford would be happy for folks to NOT identify the Navigator as a Lincoln, due to the huge negative image of big SUVs these days? So everything else is a Lincoln MK-something, but this is just a Navigator?

Last - I think it may not matter about the looksof the beast. With Caddy having anywhere from 10 to 30% more horsepower AND better mpg numbers, I think the Nav won't be competitive anyway.
    Based on the comment they made about changing Zephyr to MKZ it's because the Navigator name is too old and established.
  • steve00gatorsteve00gator Member Posts: 24
    My lease on my 2003 Navigator ran out in Dec.. I was hoping to extend to get the 2007 design, but couldn't. I leased a 2006 in Nov. instead. Now I am glad I did. I feel confident that grill will be gone in three years when I'm back in the market.
    "The largest infestation of chrome ever to land on the grille of a motor vehicle."

2007 Lincoln Navigator and Navigator L (Chicago Auto Show news from Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    Oh yeah?
    image"
    Did a solar flare just happen? Gotta put these on:

:shades:

Steve, Host
    "Buick was so proud of their flashy new grille that they named it the "Fashion-Aire Dynastar Grille." It contains 160 faceted diecast chrome squares..."

Maybe Lincoln's version will be called the
    "Fashion-Aire MKNL Grille"
  • The piece de resistance is that chrome bug deflector at the top. It resists all efforts to perceive it as classy.

Looks like they tried to throw everything at that front end: a little suggestion of 60's Lincoln grill (badly done), the cap over the former waterfall grill (transition piece bug deflector?), high tech but too busy-looking headlights, and impressions taken from the 1958 Detroit models (which were ridiculed across the board for bling overload).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to learn about the vehicles of choice for people with large families. If you have 6 or more in the house and often travel as a group, what is your preferred mode of transportation? Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Wednesday, February 22, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about this topic.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Gee- they look exactly the same huh? But not those identical twins- the Camry and the Lexus. :P
    Scooter;

Your posts are turning into the rest of your handle.

You should get a job or something.
    Did that one hit too close to home?

That taillight design always did give me a sense of deja'vu
  • jamiegbfjamiegbf Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Navigator with 77,000 miles on it. Maintenance has been done according to guidelines and I have loved this vehicle. My service engine soon light came on and when I took it to a dealer he told me two burnt vales and I would be better off getting a new engine. I am in shock and angry! How can a $48,000 vehicle need a new engine this soon! I just got done doing a little search under car complaints and I am not the only one with this issue. Ford has to know about this! Any help or advice would be welcome!
    Get a second opinion. First I've heard of that type of problem. What are the symptoms (other than the CEL)? What codes were stored?
    Code 99 I believe and he said 2 burnt exhaust valves. I was told it would cost just as much for a valve job so go with the engine. I did get a second from a reliable mechanic who ran the codes and came to the same conclusion. I am no conspiracy theorist but I would bet Ford has logged a lot of these and will continue to do nothing unless it is exposed!

Thanks for replying!
    Low compression in cylinders 6&7 and a shake when idling. I will probably run it until it dies and then replace!
    Hmmm...sounds a lot like my 2003 Aviator. Had to replace the head (under warranty) last year and I think it's doing it again. I thought the problem only existed on a small percentage of the DOHC 4.6L engines (Aviator, old Mustang Cobra) and not the 5.4L.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    I always thought that the original navigator 1997 tail lights looked closer to the wagon.
    I must confess, I kind of like the 2007 Navigator front end.
    They are to be commended for not playing is so safe and scared for once.
    In fact, I'd consider buying one but...

Here's what I simply can't get past:
    Navigator- 300 hp, Quarter mile time 17.9 and 17 mpg hwy
    Escalade- 403 hp, Quarter mile time 15.0 and 19 mpg hwy

Unless the Navigator is going to be $7-$10k less than the Escalade, there really is no comparison.
    The navigator's ultra-roomy and fold-flat third row makes it the choice for folks having to haul lots of people. At 6'4" I fit in the third row of the newer Navi's quite comfortably.

The Escalade still doesn't offer a fold flat third row option -- and it looks like it never will.

That's a big consideration in my book.

Looks-wise, I think GM has done a GREAT job on the new slade inside and out whereas I think Ford may have a stinker on its hands with the new navi front. I still haven't seen one in person though, I really hope I like it as I am a Navi fan overall.
    The front has gotten a bit...tamer...
    Was that a result of the beating they took at the auto show?
    I can't find a suitable picture to link - the only one I've seen is huge - but they've basically painted the big chrome strip on top of the grille. IMO it looks better. It was shown at the Kansas City auto show.
    "but they've basically painted the big chrome strip on top of the grille"

Well, that's a start. So now I'd guess it looks almost identical to the recent Chevy Silverado front with the chrome extending into the headlights.

I'd suggest two more changes: paint the present 2007 grille in a waterfall pattern! And put the '06 interior back in.