Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    It was more loaded than your azera. the only option missing was navigation and elite package ( 2 seats in the back). And it was new
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    It was more loaded than your azera.

Incorrect. Comparably equipped, Azeras are more bang for the buck PERIOD.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Incorrect. Comparably equipped, Azeras are more bang for the buck PERIOD.

The only similarity between the two is that they are medium-to-large sedans. You may get more options on the Azera for the same money, but you sure won't get the same driving experience.
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    Nissan's target buyer is similar to that of the Hyundai Azera buyer. I won't dispute that the Maxima is the athlete of the two. The Max has a superior suspension and Nissans 3.5 VQ is an amazing engine. I know, I owned one. I haven't owned an Azera but drove a rental (3.8 with Ultimate package) for a long weekend. I've gotta tell you that the Maxima doesn't have a huge edge over the Azera. Much of the favorable words I have to say about the Azera is a coupling of expectations exceeded and an overall luxury presentation in the Azera. My point is that the target buyer of both are 45-55 years old. This doesn't mean that a Maxima driver doesn't want sports sedan handling and engine performance but when you look the the skidpad scores, acceleration and braking performance of both, you really don't have a huge advantage in a Maxima, you have a higher price in the Maxima and you get a few more luxury goodies on the Azera. The Azera is a serious offering by Hyundai that has been unfairly relegated to 'honorable mention'. Nissan is returning the Maxima to its true sports sedan roots in the next generation so we know that the redo wasn't working.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Someone has to protect you from yourself! You should be duly thankful for and appreciative of the legal profession!
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    I believe that the target market for the Azera is older than 45-55
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    In either case you 've got to feel sorry for those buyers that bought either of these cars earlier in their 'run' - they may have just lost a few thousand themselves (in resale values)

Somehow I doubt it's going to affect the resale value when *I* decide to sell *mine*. :P
    I agree with you , while Maxima is much more flexible than Azera as young and young in heart are buying it(or at least drive one).
    oh suggestion.
    Since this is a car forum lets run a survey.
    Vehicle -
    Owner's age
    driver ages ( since a car might have several drivers)
    let me start
    2005 Nissan Maxima SE
    owner's age - 28 ( me)
    driver ages - 28 and 27 (me and my wife)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    I agree with you, the Maxima seems to have a really broad range of drivers. It fits a lot of people. Having said that I'll answer your survey..

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS
    Only driver is me (28)

As a side note, in 2003 when I bought my first Avalon I was the youngest ever to buy one at my dealer, three years later with the '06 still hold the record.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• azeradaveazeradave Member Posts: 42
    O K, my turn

vehicle--2006 Azera
    owner's age--52
    driver's ages 52
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    thank you, George Orwell - but that kind of attitude is NOT foe me!
  • zredsoxzredsox Member Posts: 90
    Vehicle - 2006 Azera Limited Ultimate

Owner's Age - 65

Driver's ages - 65 & 64
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    06 Ultimate
    Me 65 her 58
    I'm the one with gray hair. Her, only the hairdresser knows the truth.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Vehicles: 2006 Chrysler 300C, 2005 Grand Cherokee, 1999 Intrepid ES
    Owners ages: 53 and 53
    Driver ages: 53 and 53--me and wife (300C and JGC)
    Driver age: 18--son (Intrepid)
    :shades:
    Watch out, big brother could be watching! ;)
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT, 2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD, 1974 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible. I am 48, wife is 41, sons ages 12 & 9. I drive Magnum, Wife drives Envoy, Eldo been in my family since new. Magnum lease expires this Fall, I can't decide between large sedan, CUV or SUV to replace it. Past vehicles, all bought or leased new, have been 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ, 1985 Pontiac 6000 STE, 1987 Dodge Dakota, 1992 Buick Park Ave. Ultra, 1997 Chrysler Town & Country, 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Vehicle - 2006 Buick Lucerne CX
    Owner's Age - 42
    Driver's Age - 42
    Have YOU driven a GM product lately? Sorry TC/CV/GM fans. :P
    I did. I had a chance to drive CTS 3.6 and I loved it. If not for its price, this could have been my car. This car felt so light while cornering that I wanted to push it even more. Though its in a different class then my Maxima and many cars in this comparison it beats them in performance.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    As a consultant I do a lot of work for lawyers. I enjoy getting paid by them and there are even a couple I enjoy having dinner with but I have yet to find one who doesn't deserve criticism for wasting their client's money. Instead of really doing the work, they hire consultants like me and add to the fee they pay us.
    Did it ever occur to you that hiring consultants like you is a way attorneys deliver a more efficient service to their clients? Unless you see the attorney's billing statements and have evidence that they are, in effect, double billing, you really don't know that what you are saying is correct. Now, back to the cars.......
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Thank you, counselor.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    More loaded??? Surely you jest!!!
    Prosource1...I'm not sure about the target deomgraphic for both the Maxima and Azera...45-55??? It would seem that the range would be greater, more like 35-55. Easier to see with the Maxima...all the ads they show have younger, mid-30's lookin folks. Can't say much for Azera ads.
    2006 Azera Limited

Owner's age - 36

Other driver's age - 29
    would suggest to you that buyers in this particular vehicle category only wish they we still 35 or even 45. ;) Why- a simple case of growing out of our Mario Andretti days, valuing vehicle comforts and conveniences more highly, and having some extra income to be able to indulge ourselves. The Avalon buyer (pre 2005) had a median age of 63! Can't imagine that Buick/Cadillac (except for the CTS) is a whole lot different. In general, however, would guess that the average age is in decline, something to do with some of these cars being genuinely capable of some that 'Mario' action despite the overall 'softness' of the usual large sedan.
    LOL I can go along with that logic. However, of the two...I would say the Maxima is shooting for a younger demographic than the Azera is, due mostly to its athletic leanings.
    ...I would say the Maxima is shooting for a younger demographic
    as they always have, the source of those '4 door sports sedans' of the early 90s, and especially in 'SE' trims, a much different kind of ride than an Azera, an Avalon, any Buick etc. etc.
    Exactly! ;)
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hi there, my .02 cents for what it's worth....

I've been casually car shopping for several months. And while I haven't made an exhaustive search of absolutely everything that was out there, I test drove a number of things and kept coming back to the Impala. They are wonderfully smooth, extremely comfortable, quiet, the base engine has plenty of power, and they have quite a lot of amenities without having to add options. They're also very reasonably priced, and I managed to find an almost new dealer demo that was perfect for me. My close runner up was a Buick LaCrosse. I had a very hard time picking between them; it mostly came down to personal preference - the Impala felt a little sportier and that's what I'm used to.
  • newcarformenewcarforme Member Posts: 35
    Did you test drive the five hundred/Montego? Great value for the $$.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I've been casually car shopping for several months. And while I haven't made an exhaustive search of absolutely everything that was out there, I test drove a number of things and kept coming back to the Impala.

I really suggest looking at a Lacrosse CXS. It's a dramatic difference. Of course, you get a used 2007 model if you can - and save a huge amount in depreciation over a new 2007(2007 because of the 100K warranty)
  • stcroixboystcroixboy Member Posts: 63
    Did you happen to get to listen to the new surround sound system? I am holding off buying until I can compare the new system against the current sound but no dealers in my area have any yet, just the xm update.
    Thanks!
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    Just got back from a trip to KC, will go in for an oil change Thursday and have set up to get a test drive in a new Azzy with the upgraded sound. I will let you know how it sounds compared to my Ltd.
    I have seen the bills and I do know. I've also had to take control of meetings for a Marindale Hubbel AV rated criminal defense lawyer when myself, a private investigator and the client were meeting because the lawyer wasn't able to control the meeting or didn't know how. I've dealt with enough lawyers to seem them go through several hundred thousands of dollars of different clients money when it was unnecessary.
    If you're a lawyer and then the shoe fits.........
    That is unfortunate. Perhaps it is the criminal law practice. It is certainly not descriptive of the other attorneys I know and work with day in and day out. It is unfortunate that you group all attorneys in the same class as those you work with. I'll let you keep your attorney relationships and I will keep mine!
    If money were not involved which large car would you chose?
    MB S550 4matic
    I recently had the opportunity to ride in a S430 4Matic. Honestly, it really didn't ride much better (if at all)than my '06 Avalon. The car I rode in had the "NAPA" leather that was absolutely unbelievable and the rest of the interior was certainly "upscale" but for 90K I wouldn't expect anything else.

Back in the world where money does matter I have to say that the Avalon is tough to beat in a large sedan for under 40K. It has a good combination of everything the much pricier sedans have. There are sportier sedans, but, I have to believe the average buyer of a large car is looking for quiet and comfortable.

• martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    A Bristol Blenheim 3 (if it were imported) at about $300,000

see: link title
  • derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    "Back in the world where money does matter I have to say that the Avalon is tough to beat in a large sedan for under 40K.
    It has a good combination of everything the much pricier sedans have.
    There are sportier sedans, but, I have to believe the average buyer of a large car is looking for quiet and comfortable."

Consumers Reports said that the "S" class car was the quietest car that they have ever tested.

Many smart buyers allow the first buyer to take the big 'hit'and then buy their "S" class cars at tremendous savings.

My Ex is married to such a fellow, and he is able to buy any new car that he desires no matter what it costs.
    He purchased a two year old certified S-500 with the "Designo" package for $60K.
    Only an expert could tell at the time he got it that it was not brand new.
    Now the the body shape is changed (I don't care for the 'chopped top' look) and the least expensive model is the S-550.
    No more S-430s or S-500s. What the World coming to?

:)
    "He purchased a two year old certified S-500 with the "Designo" package for $60K"

I think that we all can agree that a two year old anything is a good deal.

As for the S class being quiet, yes it sure is. However, not that much more than a Lucerne or Avalon.

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I'd take a 1998 S500 anyday. Now those were beautiful cars.

You can get a mint condition low-mileage model for about the price of a base model Civic. 10 years and 65-60K in depreciation later, it's a sweet deal.

I've also seen 1999-2000 S430s going for around $20K. It may be 6-7 years old, but it sure beats all the new cars in that price range.
  • fannibalfannibal Member Posts: 23
    Hyundai Azera is the segment leader in the Strategic Vision quality survey for 2007

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/06/04/ap3787018.html

<---- one proud 2006 Azera owner!
  • sergio19sergio19 Member Posts: 90
    Awesome!

Great find!
    I'm not surprised. By now you'd think (and I'm guilty of this) that people should at the very least start paying attention that Hyundai has come a long way and that they are building QUALITY cars!

I have been a Toyota fanatic for a very long time till my brother bought a Sonata and after 3 years owning it still loves it. I decided to break that barrier (Snobism) and took a serious look at the Sonata (2006). My problem was when I walked into the showroom and saw this thing called AZERA and said what the hell is that?...well...the rest is history.
    Just after taking it for a test drive it was sold when I got on the freeway!
    What a great car!

Another "proud" Hyundai (AZERA) owner.

Ciao
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    In that survey's results, I found this interesting: Overall, Volkswagen AG had the highest corporate average, followed by Honda Motor Co. (nyse: HMC - news - people ), General Motors Corp. (nyse: GM - news - people ), Toyota and Hyundai. Among brand names, BMW was followed by Infiniti, Mercedes Benz, Mini and Jaguar.
    So, Hyundai is not up to General Motors' quality level, and GM beats Toyota too. That does not really sound so encouraging, now does it?
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    All those were within points of each other. It doesn't necessarily mean one's higher than another but rather those consumers surveyed were satisfied with their products.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Look at the consumer ratings on this page and read the reviews to see what Edmunds forum readers of their cars.
    You have been fortunate in meeting the few attorneys that are ethical. If you talk to average people I think you will find that their opinion of attorneys is very negative. Because of our legal system they are simply a necessary evil.
    I have had to retain four over the course of my life and none of them made a positive impression on me. I've been contacted by numerous attorneys to do work for them, not just criminal. I've turned down work because they didn't have a clue about their clients' needs but they still took that retainer fee.
    I'll keep my relationship with my attorneys and try to assure that their clients get better representation.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, this really isn't the place...
    just goes to show you how flaky these surveys can be -
    http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/pressrelease.aspx?id=2007088
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Sometimes I think the survey companies keep trying different kinds of ranking criteria until they come up with sets of results which spotlight EVERY manufacturer as being the best in some category. Then they offer those survey results for sale to the advertising departments of all those manufacturers.
    So in the end, it is more of a money train than it is a legitimate attempt to rank cars.