Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• That could help. Or even deleting the strip.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    >Last - I think it may not matter about the looksof the beast. With Caddy having anywhere from 10 to 30% more horsepower AND better mpg numbers, I think the Nav won't be competitive anyway<

George; I know what the window sticker says, but real world doesn't bear it out. The Escalade I used for my vacation this month got 12.5mpg highway. My Navigator got that in the city, and 17 on the highway. Also, my Navigator felt quicker, so horsepower be damned, they don't get better mileage than the Navigator.....
    I had a 94 Explorer with 140,000 miles on it, and it suddenly started running rough. Took it to the dealer, he said I had a hole in a piston, and needed a new engine. Not wanting to put an engine in a car that old, I gave the car away to my son's girlfriend. Her Dad put a new spark plug in the missing cylinder, and the damn thing is still running 2 years later!

Get a second opinion.....
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Indeed. I had someone sell me a beautiful 58,000 mile 94 Cougar for $1000 because the "3 catalytic convertors were all bad" and the dealer wanted $1800 to replace them.

It only needed a $27 Oxygen sensor.
    Ah, a very good buy indeed, scooter! I had a 94 Cougar once upon a time as well. My wife said it was her favorite car of all time.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who just purchased or are looking to purchase a large SUV. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday May 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the vehicle you are interested in purchasing or just purchased (please provide approx. date of purchase).

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "An AutoPacific vehicle-satisfaction study found that the 2006 Lincoln Navigator gave the highest amount of satisfaction to its owners."

Inside Line

Steve, Host
  • melq28melq28 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 Navi from Carmax and it came with a DVD Entertainement system. It also came with the wireless headphones. I am having problems with trying to get the wireless headphones to work. When I connected a wired headphone everything works. The wireless headphones even worked in my brother's Lexus GX. So it's not the headphones. Does anyone know how to make the wireless headphones work or sync up with my DVD system in the Navigator?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Sounds like the IR transmitter may be bad or blocked.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Lincoln Navigator: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion and report on your gas mileage. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • snowbiltsnowbilt Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,
    I am looking at buying a used navigator. I need the in's and outs of this vehicle. We currently have a 99 escalade and looking to get into the 2000's. We just feel the lincoln looks better and from what we have heard has better options. Looking at 02 to 04 model year and possibly 05 if they are truly better. So if you guys could share some knowledge I would be greatful. Also, if you guys are in the market for a mercedes SL I can give you the in's and outs since I did a ton of research befor buying.

Thanks in advance
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Here's a few tidbits:

Forget the '02 and prior. '03 marked an important redesign which gave the Navigator it's new beautiful interior AND a big improvement in ride and handling with Independent rear suspension (IRS). IRS also allowed for the fold-flat third row, which is power fold on most (all?) models). It was either 05 or 06, forget which, which introduced the 6 speed automatic.

Coincidentally, I just posted my 2004 Navigator Ultimate for sale last night. If you're in California Bay Area and want to talk, send me an email. I would seriously recommend the '04 over the '03 just on grounds of they worked a couple bugs out. Also, the navigation system in the 04 (and late-build 03s) is better than previous as it uses DVD not CDs.

It is a great vehicle. RIdes and handles much better than you'd think. At 27000 miles I've had Zero trouble with mine. Hate to sell it, but family finances dictates it.

Good luck finding what you want.
    I'm totally in agreement with heyjewel. I owned a 99 Navigator, and an 03 for my second one. I'd recommend everything he said. Go for an 04 or newer if you can. Power fold on the third seat is not standard, you need the "Ultimate" model to get that, but even if it isn't power fold, they're easy to fold and are so superior to the Escalade, it's not even funny. Not only do you not have to yank the 60lb seat out of the back to haul something big, when they are up, they are real seats that even an adult can enjoy!

The 6 speed transmission went in the 05 model year. And it's a significant improvement, if you can afford an 05. Makes the engine really peppy.

My 03 was a great truck. Took it to 36,000 miles and turned it in at lease end. The only reason I didn't get a third one (I still want one really badly) is fuel costs.
    Gas was starting to spike at the time, and I didn't want to obligate myself for another 3 years on one, since I already own another SUV. If gas stablizes at a reasonable cost, (I didn't complain until it went over $2.50), I'd have another one toot sweet!
    Pricing Navi's as you know. Just spoke to a internet sales person and he sent me a price on a 06 2wd ultimate/elite navi for 47,100. It is 10,000 off sticker with rebates plus you get 1100 dollars worth of gas for a year. Does this sound good or really really good. Or could they come down and if so how much? I was wanting the AWD but he told me that the 2wd tows more. I find that hard to believe let me know your thoughts
    What does Lincoln's website say?
    I know there is a towing capacity page.
    let me check it out.
    the 2wd does have a higher max of 8,600. the 4x4 is max of 8,300. I can't see that making much of a difference. I would be towing a regular sized boat or pop up trailer at the most.
    I'd get the 4wd, and I'll bet the price won't be $1,000 different in the end. I think he can still come down a thousand or two, but it's a good deal as it is.....

Good truck too, I had 2 of them.
  • ace35ace35 Member Posts: 131
    Does anyone know when the new Navi will be hitting the lots ? Im very interested in seeing this SUV in the flesh.
    Ace- you have good timing- 2007 Job 1 was today, 7/26/06
    Well looks like I am going with a 05. I have a buddy that is a sales manager at the lincoln dealership, and he is going to purchase one at a auction. He said I could go with him or just give him exactly what I want to pay out the door, color, options, mileage and he could probably find it. I may go just to see how those auctions go and make sure I am not getting some Katrina truck. But basically will pay 1000 over what he buys it for. There is a 300 auction fee,100 delivery, and 500 his take. If I wait till end of August/First September, probably buy it around 25,000. That is a 4x4 ultimate elite. Right now he said they are going for 29,000 at auction.
    Couldn't agree with you more, gteach. If I were to buy another Navigator, I would get an 06 in a hurry. I can't abide that cheesy grille, or the Zephyr lights on the back either. Talk about how to screw up class.....
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Clarence, I'm sure you are a very nice person with good intentions, but the above post seems like a subtle way to bring extra customer traffic to that dealership.

Dealerships in my area hold "consumer test drive events" like this all the time. It's just a sales event disguised in a "car-show" type atmosphere.

I'm surprised the above post hasn't been removed. Either way, this Navigator forum gets relatively few posts so I doubt you'll get much response.

Tell the folks at Coutler Caddy, nice try -- though. :)

As to the Lincoln Navigator -- I just saw some some detailed interior pics and I'm left sadly under whelmed. The instrument gage is being made to purposely look "retro" and I think that's a BIG mistake.

With the huge "teenage braces" grill on the front and the "old-school" interior of this redesigned SUV, I just don't see it being a big hit.

If you could combine the new escalade's interior look with a slightly toned-down exterior AND fold-flat 3rd row you'd have my "PERFECT" SUV.
    Of course, while I'm typing message #1569 above the "sales-pitch" post I was addressing disappeared. I guess the host and I were looking at it at the same time!!!
    I agree with you on the 07 Navigator, gteach. As Alumni of the Navigator club, you and I have a right to critique, don't you think?

My opinion in a nutshell is; This is the last car Lincoln has to offer that measured up to being a Lincoln. And they've screwed it up royally, inside and out. Geeeeez!!! What else could they do to Oldsmobile this brand??
  • Put the 3.5 liter V6 in it??
    There may be hope for Ford/Lincoln yet. The new Ford CEO says he drives an LS430 because it's "the best car in the world".

Maybe some of that Lexus Mojo will find its way to Lincoln Products.

I'm a fan of the Navigator and I want it to succeed, but with this new design I find myself hoping it tanks so that they'd redesign it in a hurry.

Who knows, maybe people will love the changes? I assume Lincoln spent LOTS of money on consumer testing before they made these changes. Maybe when I see this beast up close and personal at the car show next month I'll change my tune.
    You never know. When BMW put the Bangle Butt on the 745i it received almost universal criticism, yet the first year sales were higher than the best year of the previous model (740i). Go figure.
  • fhacklfhackl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 navigator that i bought a few months ago and it has been vibrating quite a bit at idle and has recently started hesitating. my dealer claims that there isn't a problem because nothing shows up on the computer. how do i go about getting lincoln (ford) to own up and fix it? i've already tried the customer relations center and that was a dead end.

frank
    First, Ford/Lincoln doesn't fix your vehicle - the dealers do.

If the dealer is willing to keep working on it, have them compare it to another new or used Navigator on the lot and see if it does it.

I know the Expeditions had a similar problem with the coil packs - I think it was a leaky hose that damaged it. It's worth checking.

You have to find a dealer willing to fix it. You can use any dealer for warranty work, so try a different one. Explain the situation to the service manager. I'm sure you can find a dealer willing to fix it.
    I second akirby's advice. Try another dealer. Take the service manager for a ride, or let him drive it. Get him to admit this isn't normal.....

I had a similar experience on my new 03 Navigator. The A/C would blow cold, then hot intermittantly. The dealer said, no codes, nothing wrong. So, I got the service manager to go for a ride. In less than a mile, he admitted, this is just not acceptable, and agreed to find out what was wrong. It was a bad expansion valve. No codes were thrown, but they fixed it. No future issues.

Try another dealer. I know it's a pain, but you have to.
    ...and boy was I WRONG!!!

Pictures don't do this truck justice. The interior upgrades are so amazing they have to be SEEN and FELT in person in order to be appreciated.

The new leather is so soft and supple -- a HUGE upgrade for my tastes. The new captains chairs feel better than my lounge chair at home!

The new wood trim looks VERY classy. All the doors and trays open smoothly and with a luxurious touch.

Even my biggest gripe about this redesign (the teenager-with-a-mouth-full-of-braces-look of the new front end) looks MUCH classier in person.

I've just GOT to add this beast to my test drive list for next year. Overall, this truck was the one vehicle that surprised me the most at the Miami Beach car show.

I guess the Ford designers DO know what they're doing after all!!!!! :)

Take a look at this car inside and out in person guys -- I think you will be very pleasantly surprised!
    Agree, gteach completely. Saw it in person for the first time today, and I'm amazed!
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Yeah, except for the fact that the gauges came straight from a florida retirenment home. Whose Idea was this?

Also, in this class 300hp is not enough anymore, end of story.

Meybe the quality of marterials is better than before, but the design of the interrior looks like Lincoln took a step BACK, not forward. The previous interrior was, IMO, the best Ive seen on any vehicle, in terms of design and layout. The only thing was the small nav sreen and a few missing features.

This truck does look better than what they had at the show, it looks classier. Honestly though, I wish the ford team good luck trying to sell it.
  • It will sell. Just not in the same numbers as the Slade...which is more expensive. Too bad Lincoln gave over its lead to someone else. There was no need to do it, except for the overpaid dummies who made the product decisions putting the Navigator from best to also-ran (see October Car and Driver).
    Exactly.... I think though, the Expy/Nav is due for a complete redesign sometime soon, based upon the next F-150 that comes out. They're buying time for now.

I also don't know what happened to the Hurricane Engine project, that would make Lincoln competitive with Caddy again. Probably budget cuts....

Sometimes I think this company would be better off without the Ford family input. May be time to sell it.
    The Hurricane was cancelled last year, then reinstated this year right after Fields took over. No word on when it will debut or in which vehicle, but it's definitely back on the table.

Fields was also responsible for making side curtain airbags standard on the Fusion/Milan. His mantra is to stop decontenting and cutting costs and start adding features and options instead to get more profit.

Now that Bill Ford has stepped aside and is letting Fields and Mullaly run things Ford will be fine. I think they'll be profitable in 2 years and start gaining back some of the lost market share.
    The new square gauges do seem like they just don't "fit" well in the truck. Seems a bit old-school.

The new seats as well as the center stack improvements in the look/feel department really did impress me, though.

The little chrome "Navigator" accents on the door pulls were a nice touch, too.

I can certainly see this truck continuing to be a "love it or hate it" product. Me, I'm all over the place, at first I hated it, now I love it, tomorrow....???

Still want to test drive though to see if they made it quieter and smoother than the 03 I once had.
    Completely agree on the "79 F-150 Instrument Cluster". It should go. My dealer died, I have no connections at the LIncoln store anymore, so if you drive one, please let me know what you think. As you may remember, I also had an 03, which, I still miss, by the way.
  • lisazyglisazyg Member Posts: 4
    Anyone familiar with this problem? I have an '04 Navigator with all the options possible. I have had this happen three times, this morning was the 3rd. I'll be driving and all the sudden my front end basically collapses onto my tires. You can immediately feel that the front is is down and you can hear/feel the wheel wells rubbing on the tires. The first two times after pulling the vehicle over and letting it sit for a few minutes, the compressor will kick on it will reset itself, basically raising the vehicle back up. I've taken it to the dealer both times and they've done everything but call me crazy. I got an apology from the dealerships manager after my first visit. My reciept read that "customer must have impaired vision and not clearly seeing the clearance on the tires". I don't know, something like that. Anyway both times they sent me home, saying they ran tests and can't find a problem, therefore can't fix it. I just picked it up yesterday at the dealership and when I left the house in it this morning at 5AM it fell again. I parked it and it's being towed there now. I get frustrated b/c the dealership doesn't seem and "friendly" now that I'm working off an extended warranty, which by the way they sold me. But it's not a "Ford" warranty, which they like to keep pointing out to me. I just want them to fix the flippin problem.
    There is a TSB for the front air suspension - make sure the dealer reads it.
    Right out of the dealership my 03 kept saying "check suspension" or something similar to that on the display and the truck was bouncing around quite a bit.

It stayed at the dealer a week while they changed the "suspension module". It was smooth sailing after that.

Is the truck giving you any warnings on the instrument panel? The warning might only come on when you experience the trouble so keep a look out for one. Does the problem happen at a specific time (speeding up, slowing down, after a speed bump, etc)?

Generally, the mechanics have to be able to duplicate the problem or at least get the computer to spit out an error, otherwise they have "nothing" to fix.

I'm surprised they wrote the "visual impairment" thing on the invoice. Even if it's true, a simple "no problem was found" would have sufficed.

Have them check the TSB (technical service bulletin)like akirby suggested. Document when the problem happens and how often.

This problem sounds serious enough that you may want to let the dealership keep the truck a few days so they can drive it themselves. Perhaps you can work out a deal to get a free loaner for those days? A Lincoln dealer will usually go to great lengths to keep you happy.

Good luck!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Well, I'm sure you all missed me, but I'm back. Took a 3 week business/charity fund-raising trip and returned last night. Why is this relevant? Because I took the trip in my 2004 Navigator. Drove from Santa Cruz, California to Louisville, Kentucky on a straight line and then meandered back. Total of 6000 miles in 3 weeks. I honestly don't know if I could have done it without the Nav. It is so comfortable. ANd it rides real quiet (mine does anyway) The navigation system was indispensible, the heated and cooled front seat buttons both got plenty of use, the moonroof, the rear vents, the beautiful white LED guages, etc etc, make this a wonderful vehicle to drive on a long trip.

Oh, and did I mention I was towing an appx 8000 pound toy-hauler RV the whole way? Zero problems with the Navigator, though the toy hauler blew 3 tires over the course of 6000 miles. THat was fun. My total expenditure for lodging over the 3 weeks was $30.04, thanks to the RV. My total expenditure for gasoline was too much to talk about. With the 8000 lbs on the back, 10 mpg is a lofty goal. Gasoline costs across the country are just too screwy to understand. Here in Cal where much of the gas is refined etc, premium was close to $3.00/gallon when I left. It stayed in the $2.75-3.00 range until I got to Kansas, IIRC, when it dropped below $2.50. In the southern states like KY and TENN it was down to $2.25 or so. I think the least I paid was $2.08 in KY.

I really love this truck. Unfortunately unless I get a job soon, it HAS to go.
    So, you folks are going to "improve" the site again are ya? Keep on improvong it and no one will be around anymore.

You're going to *be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues* ?? And this is supposed to HELP? After all this time you have been jumping on posters for starting new topics which do nothing but clutter up the selection menus, now you are telling us to do exactly that - clutter it all up- AND you're going to remove the individual vehicle discussions? So now instead of going to a "Lincoln Navigator" discussion, I must choose from tens to hundreds of topics like "Lincoln Navigator guages - pre 2007" or "Lincoln Navigator guages 2003-2006" or "Lincoln Navigator cup holder locations" as examples??? THis will truly be a mess. Well, this site has gone straight downhill since it first began so I'm not surprised. It used to be easy and informative. Now it is a nightmare to get information about a vehicle without jumping from one page to another, (and don't forget to select a COLOR or we won't tell u any more about the car) being inundated with ads and links to competitive vehicles etc. But at least the discusson boards have been helpful and easy-to-use. Until now. What took you all so long to get around to screwing these up anyway?

All IMHO of course.
    Jewel,

Let's pick this up in Lincoln Navigator: Meet the Members!. Feel free to visit Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... for information on the restructuring.

tidester, host
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: Lincoln Navigator. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the Lincoln Navigator discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the Lincoln Navigator board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for Lincoln Navigator owners!

tidester, host
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • ba70816ba70816 Member Posts: 1
    I ust bought an 04 on Dec 1st to replace my 00 Navigator. The morning of the 2nd and teh 3rd the very same thing happened to me. What did you do to fix the problem?
  • hennypenny3hennypenny3 Member Posts: 5
    I had no trouble with my navigator until yesterday I stopped at a stop sign and when I started again the vehicle shook like crazy when I let off the gas it quit. It done it for a while then stopped. It does it on occasion. Especially pulling a hill. Anyone else have this problem?