Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    I drove a new Impala with the V6 and it drove like a boat. The handling was poor and the V6 is really underpowered for the weight of the car. Whether you want "kick" or not I don't think you would be happy with the V6 Impala.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    bilwfriend....

both are good vehicles, so it comes down to a matter of personal preference. My neighbor has an impala and loves it. Personally I like the looks of the impala over the ford also....

Roland
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    The Impala has two V6's available. I know one
    has around 245 hp's, can't remember how much
    hp's the smaller V6 has, but I would think the
    larger V6 Impala would have good pick-up.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    The Five Hundred is a very nice room car that cannot get out of it's own way. Merging onto a freeway or attempting a quick 2-lane pass are knuckle-whitening exercises.

That's no problem in MY 500. Granted, I have the AWD version, which comes with the CVT.

Perhaps you have the non-CVT transmission, and that's the problem?

If you want to accelerate in MY 500, just mash the gas pedal, and off you go!
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    3.5L V6 - 211 HP / 214 lb-ft TQ
    3.9L V6 - 233 HP / 240 lb-ft TQ

Just replace both with the 3.6L V6 and call it a day ;)

And the SS carries the 5.3L V8 - 303 HP/ 323 lb-ft TQ
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Actually, compared to my old 94, the new ones ride too firm for my tastes. The 94 was much softer and better isolated from the road. My current one is an LSE, but I'm thinking of swapping out the rear air suspension bags for the ones designed for the Town Car to soften the ride. That is something the average motivated shadetree mechanic could do.

Different strokes, but I love the Grand Marquis - I'll drive them as long as I can, which will be a long time since they last so long.

I just replaced my fuel filter on my 2002, as I do every 60,000 miles. Two clips, one clamp, slip it out of the cradle, put the new one in the cradle, and reattach. It took longer to jack the car up than it took to replace.

$9 every 60,000 miles is pretty cheap insurance for clean gas.
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    I'm glad the Azera automatically upshifts in manual mode. I had the tunes blasting, had her in manual mode. Took off from a light, forgot to shift...next thing I know it shifts to second gear...good thing. :blush:
  • lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    "If you want to accelerate in MY 500, just mash the gas pedal, and off you go!"

In regard to your AWD Five Hundred, that's precisely what you have to do with my FWD Five Hundred -- mash the gas pedal and do it often. And watch the gas gauge drop in the process. I sometimes feel like I'm flogging a wounded animal.

Test drove an Impala LTZ (3.9 AFM V6) last night & this morning. Lots of get-up-and-go. Even my wife, who can't tell one car from another, commented on how much peppier it was than our Ford. Just wish it had a bit more rear seat room. Think we're going to hold out for a Lucernce CXS or Cad DTS.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Welcome to Ford and GM.

That's not-so-affectionately known as "Wide open throttle lag". The tall gearing to make the EPA MPG figures look artificially good and the large engine that develops its power up high(best for 0-60 published times) - results in a car that spins up too slowly and is a total slug in city traffic.

The GM 3.6 and the VVT models from most of the imports exhibit NONE of this behavior, though. Ford and Chrysler - don't have engines like this for the most part.

I drove a 500 and it was like a very nice Coutour. Same full second from mashing it hard until it decided to spin up and downshift. Dreadful. Can't imagine what 100K miles of wear would do if the NEW engine/drivetrain felt worse than a decade old Camry.
  • fannibalfannibal Member Posts: 23
    Check out a Hyundai Azera. If you think I am joking, test drive one yourself. My family currently has 2 toyotas and we just bought a new Azera. Check out the limited version with leather seats. I'll admit the hyundai's "premium" cloth seats look rather cheap. The gas mileage also probably won't be as good as the avalon, but it takes regular gas, whereas the avalon takes premium.

I love the car so far. I've put 500 miles on it so far and the car drives like a dream. I've never driven an american large car so i can't say how they are, but from what I've heard, overall, Avalon is #1, Azera is #2, and Lucerne is #3. I picked the Azera because of the price and features, and predicted reliability. I test drove an avalon before purchasing an azera and couldn't figure out why it costs 6k more than tha azera. Anyhow, that's my .02$
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Member Posts: 44
    Oh, and I'm looking at a $13,500 budget (before taxes)...

I've considered the Grand Marquis, but rear wheel drive in Wisconsin concerns me.

The Chrysler Pacifica is also appealing, but only in the base model configuration, and that's a 210 hp engine dragging a 4,500lb car behind it! And the EPA MPG of 18/25 is optomistic, as the Grand Caravan gets that, while being a few hundred lbs lighter.

Sounds like either the Chevy or Ford will need to be floored while merging, which I do now in my 240hp Honda Odyssey and my 150 hp Dodge Stratus.

The push rod design of the Chevy engine will probably hold up better then the Ford 'modern' engine, yet the Ford has a 6 speed tranny compared to the Chevy's 4 speed.

The Ford has a 2.4cu ft bigger trunk and a taller seating stance, but the Chevy seems to have a little more passenger room width wise.

Thanks for the lively discussion tho!!!
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    This 2006 Azera Limited is the largest car I've ever owned, my having begun with a new 1962 VW Sunroof Sedan, progressing to a new 1965 Karmann-Ghia convertable, a new 1975 Honda Civic CVCC, a new 1977 Honda Accord and a used 1990 Honda Accord LX (which I still have).

However, as I took my 1958 driver's license test in the family '56 Lincoln (about 5000 lbs at a dollar a pound back then, some 18 feet of tail-finned car), I have "large car' in my genes, so to speak... ;)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    The Avalon doesn't need premium, runs fine on 87.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

mash the gas pedal and do it often. And watch the gas gauge drop in the process

That's what the gas pedal is for. :D

And don't worry, ANY vehicle that you accelerate quickly (assuming similar weights and drag coefficients) is going to plummet the gas mileage while it's doing so.
    I drove a 500 and it was like a very nice Coutour. Same full second from mashing it hard until it decided to spin up and downshift. Dreadful.

Then you clearly had the 5-speed tranny. Try it with the CVT, instead. There isn't that "one second delay". I'm quit e familiar with that because of the Tauri I've owned.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The fuel efficiency of the Avalon, much like other similar vehicles requiring similar fuel rating, is rated using premium. Sure you can run regular but it is not likely you will achieve the same fuel economy as it is with premium, which is recommended.

On that note, I've even heard Toyota sales reps at various dealers mention 280hp (prior to SAE) on premium and 268hp (SAE rating) on regular...I could only laugh and respond with SAE.
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    I agree with you.If you buy a vehicle and it calls for premium,you should use premium.If you can't afford to put in premium,don't buy the car.Your asking for trouble down the road with carbon buildup,dirty injectors,poor performance,and loss of fuel economy.If you remember the Neon R/T,DCX said you would have 150 horse with premiun only,any thing less would not give you the advertised horsepower.
  • loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    Agree with your posting.

We bought a 2007 Lucerne CX and really enjoy the smooth,
    and quiet performance of the 3800 engine and 4 speed auto.

Have yet NEEDED to "mash" gas pedal to the floor in over 3 months of city / highway driving situations and have never felt a bit of the dreaded hesitation problem as mentioned in the other cars with the 263 or 268 HP.

There must be something to the torque vs. horsepower argumemt after all, as this car is rated at 197HP but feels like more than that, in everyday driving.

My old Park Ave had 170HP,and drove it for 10 years, now I have 197HP in this refined version of the Buick 3800 engine.

I think the majority of people will find this more than adequate unless some plan time doing race track skills on local highways!

I tested both Avalon and Azera before buying Lucerne.
    Lucerne's engine does not sound like a jet engine, (like the Avalon did,)when doing a simple highway passing test.
    Worse than that,Avalon hesitated for what seemed like a really long second before it did anything!

Lucerne does a better job at isolating bumpy roads from the driver, while maintaiting ride control,throw in the standard auto load leveling system as you mentioned and yes the choice is clear.

This car is built in the same plant as Caddy DTS and shares the same chassi(platform).

PS 28-30 MPG (highway) seems like a bonus with such a great riding "full-size car.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >My old Park Ave had 170HP,and drove it for 10 years, now I have 197HP in this refined version of the Buick 3800 engine.
    I think the majority of people will find this more than adequate

It's the torque at the usual accelerating motor speeds that makes the difference. Your car is producing 220 lb/ft approx from 1800 to 3300 which I find is my usual motor speed accelerating from a stop sign. Most cars won't be used at their horsepower max rated speed because they're not going to drive that fast and that would only be reached in lower gears for passing, maybe.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    The only reason why your Buick 3800 sounds/feels refined is because you are not pushing it hard. I used to drive a chevy with the 3800 and it doesn't sound good when pushed hard.
    The 3800 is overated and most cars have good torque output at idle unless the engine is less than 3.0L like the Honda S2000. With variable valve timing OHC engines are way better than OHV unless the pushrod engine is a V8 and greater than 300 cubic inches.
    >The 3800 is overated and most cars have good torque output at idle unless the engine is less than 3.0L like the Honda S2000. With variable valve timing OHC engines are way better than OHV unless the pushrod engine is a V8 and greater than 300 cubic inches.

Those are opinions and you certainly may have them. Just remember others have their experience with 3800s and have different opinions.

BTW: do you hav data for your statements here? "Way beter than OHV"?

There is only one OHV engine I like ,and thats the Hemi,other then that I rather have the OHC.They rev up higher then a pushrod and get to your max horespower quicker.That what makes the Mustangs so fast.
    It's no secret that OHV aren't refined unless its big like 5.7L Hemi and 6.0L Corvette. I felt it and so did all professional car reviewers.
    I would have purchased the Charger Hemi R/T if it didn't have MDS. I don't trust the 4-8 switch reliability and I drive only in the city and that is why I purchased a loaded SXT with 3.5L. If it was a full time V8 then I would have paid the extra $2-3K and gotten the Hemi.
    Haven't we been down this road before. The 3800 is bullet proof OLD technology. It does the job but the future is engines like Toyo and Nissan 3.5's and even GM's 3.6 if they can get it as reliable as the 3800. Which might happen once it is 50 years old too.

• quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    The 80s were great but it's now almost 2007. While Detroit had some big problems back then, they have come a long way since and I think it is shortsighted to ASSUME that their current offerings have any worse reliability than their counterparts. I've owned nothing but American cars since the late 80s and have never had reliability issues.

Underestimating Detroit is likely what will bring them back from the brink...assuming they come back. They've learned some hard lessons and I'm excited about what they'll be offering in the coming years.

My point is that it won't take 50 yrs to make the new products bulletproof. I think they are starting out just as good as the competition...regardless of the technological differences.
    I agree with you.I have a 06 Charger SXT and its one of the best Mopars I ever owned.Thats 36 years of driving Mopars.I also worked on all three cars for over 23 years and thats one reason I drive Mopar.Plus I worked on police cars and that helped.I think the competition helped the American cars
    and they are being built better.Bad economy and high health ins. is killing the Industry.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Bulletproof old technology is a good thing in many ways.

Quote:
    Worse than that,Avalon hesitated for what seemed like a really long second before it did anything!

That's because the GM design is a brute-force old school piece of technology. It shifts based upon throttle and rpm like it should and doesn't try to out-think you.

And it costs less than half as much to fix.

Oh - it's just as reliable as the Toyota in terms of miles. Old technology with all of the bugs worked out by now.

Though - the 3.8L is underpowered for the weight of the car. The V8 otoh, is superb.
  • lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    "Have yet NEEDED to "mash" gas pedal to the floor in over 3 months of city / highway driving situations and have never felt a bit of the dreaded hesitation problem as mentioned in the other cars with the 263 or 268 HP. "

I hear you. I've had 5 vehicles with the 3.8L OHV Buick V6 and everyone single one of them performed as you describe yours. Moreover, since my father passed away, I've bought 3 LeSabres for my mother and each of them were/are (she's has a 2005 Limited currently) every bit as smooth and powerful as my '03 LeSabre. Looking forward to replacing my Five Hundred with either a Lucerne or DTS.
    The hesitation thing absolutely drives me nuts. With the newer computerized transmissions with "intelligence" as the manufacturers call it, learn how you drive. Think about this, you "tenderfoot" the car 90% of the time accelerating slowly not hitting the passing gear etc. Naturally, when wide open trottle is asked for the trans gives a slight delay when downshifting because it is not used to doing it. Now if you drive with a heavy foot, the computer learns this and downshifts immediately. I notice this when I drive my Mom's Highlander, her car gives a good 1/2 to 1 second delay before spooling up and taking off (on WOT), she never steps on it. If I drive the car for an extended amount of time it becomes more responsive, and no, I am not imagining all this.

• havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    loyalbuickfan said: "Lucerne's engine does not sound like a jet engine, (like the Avalon did,)when doing a simple highway passing test.
    Worse than that,Avalon hesitated for what seemed like a really long second before it did anything!"

The Avalon behavior you reported indicates to me that you used inconsistent and jerky footwork. Yes, you can make an Avalon "hesitate" and then surge; but this is not its normal behavior. A year ago in the Avalon 2005+ forum, a few unhappy Avalon owners reported this problem. Eventually we discovered that this pattern seemed to happen mainly to habitual "toe drivers".

If you search the Avalon 2005+ forum under "gas pedal" you can find numerous reports by "reformed toe drivers" who found that by simply adjusting the position of their foot, moving the heel forward and making contact with the middle of the gas pedal instead of the bottom, this instantly cured their "hesitation & surge" type of problem. Drivers of some other types of cars also reported that changing their foot position helped with similar problems.

Sometimes you need to learn to treat a new car a little differently to get the best performance from it. This can be a confounding problem when you comparatively test various cars, if your initial setup or driving habits don't quite work for a given car and you don't have enough time to adapt during the test drive.

havalongavalon
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    tjc78, I don't know about the Highlander, but with my Avalon if I ever encounter a transmission glitch (such as premature shifting, or remaining in a gear when I would prefer it to shift) or if I need to "step on it" after a period of calm cruising, I simply switch from "D" to "manual" and leave it in 5th gear from then on. This erases the memory and the transmission shifts up & down very predictably, just as I want it, without any learned bias.

havalongavalon
    >Which might happen once it is 50 years old too

And maybe in 50 years Toyo will get their transmissions shifting the way people expect instead of having transmission problems across the line in the way their interface with the human behind the wheel.

I realize you were just trying to slam what you think is "old" but I'll take my 3800s and 4 speeds with all the torque and high gas mileage in a full size car until something better that doesn't cost twice as much to fix, if it can be fixed, comes along. Check Camry Problems and Solutions which used to be Camry Woes: Camry Woes

Now if you want to say you prefer something because you believe it's better be it based on personal experience or on advertising effect I can understand that. However don't just something by its age; the 3800 has been improved in its evolution throughout the years. Check the torque graph. Where's a torque graph for the Accord V6 and Camry V6? Does anyone have on to see what the torque is at 2000-3500, the range for starts even quick ones from lights and stop signs; it's that torque that most drivers are perceiving when they drive a car.

• nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    The 2005-2007 Avalons require regular, 87 octane fuel. The published MPG numbers are attained using the same fuel the owners manual recommends (regular), not premium, super premium or nitro.

I and many other posters have frequently bettered the posted mileage numbers using regular fuel.
    I have owned the 3800 (1998 OLDS 88) and can tell you that I prefer the 3.5 in my Avalon hands down. More available power at any speed and better gas mileage. I don't care if I have to rev it to get the power because even at 5000 RPM the engine is so smooth. Try revving a 3800 at 5000 RPM, it feels coarse and unrefined.

• billwfriendbillwfriend Member Posts: 44
    I've got a nearby dealer listing a 2006 1LT model for $12,995, and a 2006 3LT model for $13,995.

I like the shifter on the floor rather then on the stalk, and the other added options on the 3LT model...

Is the additional options, including the 3.9 vs 3.5 engine worth the extra grand? (both vehicles around 28k miles).
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    We all know that the 3800 (or any other OHVs in this case) offers higher torque at low RPM. However, the question we need to ask is: How long does it take the engine to rev up to that RPM?

For example, say we have these 2 generic engines...

Engine 1: 220 lb-ft/s @ 2500 RPM and takes 5 seconds to get to that RPM

Engine 2: 250 lb-ft/s @ 4800 RPM and takes 4 seconds to get to that RPM

Which engine would you choose given that their max HP output are the same? I personally would go for engine 2. The reason for that is even though it takes higher RPM to achieve the max torque but it can be reached sooner than engine 1.

Slow rev is the classic characteristic for OHV engines as oppose to the OHC ones (faster rev). Someone may not be accustom to the faster/high rev OHC (especially for those loyal domestic owners) but that doesn't mean that the OHC engine lacks the low speed kick that the OHV engine has.
  • daedalus34rdaedalus34r Member Posts: 93
    since were allready talking about this engine, i just want to chime in with my $.02. I love it. I have the basic 98 regal sedan [not sprchrd] and it impresses me every time i get into it. I'm a car nut and i read about all these new card with fancy engines and output #'s; but whenever i start driving my car im wowed by how much i get back from the 197hp/220ftlb. I think part of it is due to the long gearing on the 4speed which lets 1st gear to all the way to 45mph or so.

This has been mentioned before, but I love how it doesnt try to out think you like other cars, you give it enough gas and it will downshift with authority so you can execute passing manuevers.

My only grip is that after about 4500 on the tach it sounds buzzy and starts to loose some steam, but no big deal. The engine really is bulletproof and has served me well. Another odd dilemma im having is the low mileage. Im getting an avg of 20mpg per tank, when the EPA estimates are 19/30. My mileage isnt that high [126XXX], so im wondering what i can do to improve mileage. About half of my miles are highway miles and i rarely gun it from red lights while in town so im usually pretty conservative with the pedals.

So yea, im happy to see these engines currently being used by GM, but they have GOT to get RID of that 4speed. I know older folk wont care to much, but most definately the younger generations of car buyers would want something a bit newer.
    after about 4500 on the tach it sounds buzzy and starts to loose some steam

At 4500 RPM, the 3.5s from Toyota and Nissan are just about heating up... :P
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    It would be interesting to see the age spread on this discussion. My bet would be the younger crowd goes for the high revs (maybe even put those phart-can exhaust systems on their cars) and the older crowd the lower revs. Forgetting for a moment whether one is perceptibly faster than the other, seems to me every revolution equals wear, regardless of the level of mechanical or electrical sophistication of the motor/transmission. Something that needs to run at 4500 rpm to "heat up" is also going to wear out faster than a motor that is "all heated up" at 3000 rpm. I like the roar my hemi gives out when I floor it. But if it had to run at those speeds all the time to give me good performance, I'd get bored of the noise....not to mention that it probably wouldn't last too long. All that being said, I'd like to see Buick come out with a few more engine choices, preferably something new....
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    Louis - I think you got this about exactly right - but torque as it applies to the way a car drives is no myth - the more the better - because it is a measurement of instanteous power (twisting force) at any given engine speed. It is what you feel in the seat of your pants, but, conversely has little to do with how well a car actually accelerates. That requires HP (or torque applied over a period of time) and sure, the more quickly an engine will rev, the more available torque (and HP) you will have. As a rule these 'old fashioned' OHV pushrod engines have disproportionately more torque relative to HP ratings, and even using your hypothetical engines would bet the the time differences you are citing are underestimates if you consider specifically the Toyota 2GR vs. the GM 3.8. - not to mention the difference in how it feels and sounds doing it!
    Something that needs to run at 4500 rpm to "heat up" is also going to wear out faster than a motor that is "all heated up" at 3000 rpm

Not necessarily. If the the engine is designed to be high/fast reving then constantly operating at high RPM won't hurt the engine. However, operating the 3800 constantly at high RPM would be another story.

The OHC engine doesn't operate at high RPM all the time. Once it gets up to speed it can run smoothly at low RPM as well. Take my 2GR-FSE for example, it can cruise at 85 mph at below 3000 RPM.
    I am 28 and obviously lean toward the higher revving engines. What I like about my Avalon is that it can be sedate and quiet at one minute, then the next you can have a little fun and really surprise people. The engine has plenty of kick below 4500 but for "those times" its the upper revs that are so sweet. As for engine wear I think you would really have to abuse it to make it wear out any faster than a 3800 or similar engine.

P.S. I wouldn't be caught dead with a "phart-can" exhaust.

• captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    I'd like to see Buick come out with a few more engine choices
    think that one of the problems that the 'Detroit 3' have is too many engine choices - 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 and 3.8 and 3.9 liter V6s many of which are older pushrod designs. If they could (and I'm not sure that existing UAW contracts makes it possiblreractical) eliminate all engines other than the 3.6, and use it across the board - much the way that Nissan has always done with the VQ and/or Toyota/Lexus is now doing with the 2GR. Would save GM literally millions.
    imidazol: The GM 3800 is certainly a "bullet proof" and reliable engine. Problem is that its still in the "dark ages" compared to the Acura's, Infiniti's and Toyotaa's with their "modern" 3 + liter motors. I use regular gas in our 06 Avalon Limited and get 26+ MPG running around here at Lake of the Ozarks. On trips to the kids in Texas, I've used 93, 91 & 89 & 87 Octane fuel. Regarless of Octane rating, I get 30+ MPG and I drive 70-75 MPH. Since I haven't noticed any significant MPG increase--I just use the regular unleaded and every 2nd or 3rd refill put in 91 or 93 Octane--when available. I test drove a Lucerne CXL with both the Northstar V8 and the 3800 V6. No doubt, had I bought the Buick, it would of had the Northstar V8.
    Bob
    If there isn't a significant fuel economy drop I would go for the 3.9. I would assume a more feature laden car with the bigger engine would hold its value a little better. The prices seem good for 1 year old vehicles, but the mileage is kind of high. Does Chevy have a "certified" program like Toyota that extends the powertrain warranty? Otherwise you have only 8,000 miles before the warranty is up.

I'm not the one who said Avalons need premium,I did say if a car calls for premium and you put in regular,your asking for trouble.And I stick to that statement.
    Good for you. Glad you like the car you chose, whoever you are.

Did you log in. There's no name showing.

• loyalbuickfanloyalbuickfan Member Posts: 63
    In the Spring & Summer of this year I was a serious new car buyer. My Park Ave.(bought new) . had served me well with over 155,000 miles miles, but I was truly ready to replace it.

My "must" option list briefly read: Full size car,V6,Cloth seating dual-zone auto air, smooth quiet ride.

I narrowed the list quickly: Azera,Avalon,and Lucerne.

The factory fresh Azera made loud transmission sounds as it hunted for gears not once, but 3 times,when I acclerated from several stops, and in no way did I ever "floor it", on my short 20 mile test ride. The salesman said it's "normal", it's learning how you drive.( To be honest, another Azera did not exhibit this behavior)
    I thought if every prospective customer has to be taught how to drive again,before buying the new car that he is paying for,no thank you!)

In much the same way a brand new Avalon with less than 100 miles, drove just fine on a variety of back roads,but when joining the highway and reaching a speed of about 55 MPH I thought I wanted to see how the Avy with it"s 268HP engine,(31MPG) would respond, so I pushed down on the gas pedal in a normal way to cause a downshift.
    The answers were instantly apparent: Poorly,Terrible Hesitation, and an unusual delay to respond.

I have driven many vehicles in my 42 years of driving,(including company owned) but now I am told that I no longer operate the gas pedal properly,and that I must learn how to do as the Toyota engineers want me to do it( their way.) It is also essential that my driving style be consistent day after day!

Well remember it is the customer that pays for this car be it for cash, or payments for many years, and I resent being told that I must re-learn just how to drive!

I also want to make it perfectly to Toyota that I am NOT a "toe-driver" as they have think I must be!

See my message # 474 as to the reasons I did buy Buick Lucerne.( No new driving skills and schools needed here)

Avalon,Azera let this customer know when your multiple, latest, computer updates and revisions, make these cars ready for all types of paying customers,and not for just Toyota engineers and the Toyota Loyalist.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    That brings up a good point. I was under the impression that the avalon would run just fine on "regular or 87 octane fuel.. but for "improved engine performance" it was "recommended" that you use an octane rating of 91 or better... As a result I've been burngin 91 since I bought my 07 avy in sept. Is premium going to hurt my engine?

Roland