Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX vs. Infiniti G35

Comments

• nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    Being a female I guess it is a good thing I have my 06 6spd tsx. My husband loves to drive it, tho. (especially on long trips). He has his hyundai elantra, mitsubishi truck, suzuki bandit 1200 and kawasaki z-1000 motorcycles as his transportation.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    is it me or did they ugly these 2 up for 2009? Like the new technology that they added to these cars-- zagats/ real time nav-- but are the 09's better looking then the 08s??
  • 1nickatnite11nickatnite1 Member Posts: 16
    I don't get it. The TSX and the G35 are completely different animals. There is NOTHING similar between the two yet people are arguing which is superior? Even the TL and G35 are hard to compare as one is FWD and the other is RWD but at least price and equipment wise it is some what similar. Please stop trying to justify your purchase to someone else, if you're happy with your car that's all that counts!
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    I thought it would grow on me, but I still don't think the new TSX looks very cool, and when I saw pictures of the new TL, I thought what were they thinking? I'm happy to have an 07, the grill on the new TSX/TL is especially overwhelming IMO...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Please stop trying to justify your purchase to someone else, if you're happy with your car that's all that counts!

Nobody's making you read this! :);)

Any news in this forum, guys? With the new TSX out, has anyone recently chosen one over another after comparing the two?
  • braydenhbraydenh Member Posts: 5
    The new Acura TL looks just like the Honda Accord.I invite anyone with a newer model TL (2005 - 2009) or TSX to come to Temecula and go head to head with my G35 tiptronic sedan. 0-60 in faster than your Acura. More quality and better leather in all. Anyone who wants a real vehicle, go to your Infiniti dealer. If you buy a used '06, your ahead of the Acura '09. If you buy a new Infiniti, you're even that much more ahead.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    When you arrive in town, just go to the A&W and ask for "Big Daddy." He's never been defeated in the 4-door V-6 slushbox class.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Well, Mr. two-posts, you've certainly got an interesting way of getting acquainted on a board.

These days, many people care about fuel mileage, as well as performance. BMW, Honda/Acura, Audi & others appear to be able to address that concern.

Infiniti, not so much.

I have a Pathfinder in the garage downstairs as I write this. It's got the same engine your car has, one very well suited to a truck. I've been driving Nissan engines since '73 & very much enjoy them, but this "my dad can whip your dad" stuff doesn't move the conversation forward in a very productive way, IMNHO.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I am glad you are as happy with your automatic g35 as I am with my 06 6MT tsx, bought new 11/17/06. It has almost 66,000 problem free miles.
  • braydenhbraydenh Member Posts: 5
    This is the thing that bothers me about car enthuasiasts! The statement above by cdnpinhead. He compares a Nissan engine to a G35. Same enigne? Yeah. Same specs? I don't think so! Does anyone else in this message board find anything funny about that? Hey buddy, I'm sure your Nissan engine is tuned the same as the G35! I'm sure it has the same tranny! It's probably even got the same HP Tiptronic tranny. Your Pathfinder probably even weighs the same as my G35. Bring your Pathfinder and I will finish the 1/4 before you're even half way there. Besides I thought you guys were talkin about Infiniti/Acura, not Infiniti/Slow SUV weren't you?

NO COMPARISON!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey, hey, hey. We are comparing the TSX to the G35 here and if you have respectful input to this conversation, you are welcome to participate. We're not into declarative dismissals of others' opinions as worthless. Others are entitled to their opinions just as much as you are entitled to yours. Chest-beating confrontation isn't helpful.

Why don't you tell us what you like about your G35 and then we'll go from there.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Oh, I will start.

-Its fast, really really fast :)
    If my 06 tsx were to beat your g35 (the g35 will win) I would return it for a refund. I did not buy my car to race. I was more interested in gas mileage, comfort, and reliability. The tsx is all that for less money. I average 30,000+ miles a year. Why would I want to buy a used gs when I can buy a new acura.
    That is just the beauty of the G35, mine is an 08. It offers reliability, interior room, lots of tech, its really fast, very comfortable, the list goes on. I would not compare the pricing of the G with the TSX though cos it would not make any sense, the G has everything the TSX has to offer, and then some. Contrast the G with the 335i & IS350. Its way cheaper than those cars. Also, comparing fuel consumption of a 3.5l V6 with a 2l 4 banger would not make sense either.
    I can say the same thing about my 06 6MT tsx/wnav. (except for the really fast part but it can get you a speeding ticket). I am very pleased with my car after two years of ownership (bought new 11/17/06). It now has almost 66,000 problem free miles. I must say I would consider getting an infiniti way before a BMW or Lexus. Plan on keeping my tsx at least one more year (should be at 100,000 miles by then)
    In my opinion, while the G is a nice car and 'quantitatively' beats the TSX in a number of areas, I would argue that the TSX wins from a 'qualitative' point of view.

Honda (and Acura) cars possess a refinement and elegance in their ergonomic design, control smoothness, material quality, driveline precision, airy cockpits, etc. that cannot be measured but is certainly superior to most other cars in the category.

When you sit in the TSX, you feel good. The controls are in the perfect place and move with teflon-coated precision. The engine revs like a sewing machine and sounds/feels smooth and turbine-like. The transmission and clutch operate with snick-snick precision - no balkiness in the driveline. The TSX is finishing school polished.

Compared to the TSX, the G35 is a little rough around the edges. It feels more assembled from the parts bin rather than the Gestalt of the TSX. The cockpit is a cacophony of shapes and textures. The driveline is relatively unrefined. Yes it goes fast and turns sharp, but in my opinion, it's not as enjoyable to drive.
    Enjoy your ride. I guess one thing is for sure, we both are enjoying our rides and I guess this are two good cars that provide great value.

All the best with the rest of your miles to 100k :)
    More power to you man, if thats how you feel thats good. I will keep my feelings to myself on this one :D
    As it happens, I'm not loyal to either marque (I don't own an Acura or an Infiniti), and although I've owned Nissan's and Honda's in the past, I have no plans to own either one in the future.

No need to keep your feelings to yourself. I'm sure everyone would be pleased to hear why you prefer the G35 and some of it's qualities that appeal to you.

There are great reasons to choose either one - it's feelings, rather than logic, that lead one to make a choice in this segment.
    To be frank, I am not loyal to any brand. I will get what gives me the most bang for the buck. I will admit, I now realize this comparison is rather pointless. If we all look at the big picture, only one of these cars has been compared to the 335i, IS350 (even the Acura TL) and has come out on top on some of those comparisons.I have even come across people who have cross shopped the G with the A6, M3, 528/535i, some (certainly not all) deciding to get the G instead. To then turn around and wear blinkers to compare the G with the TSX, I doubt anything useful will come out of this. I will resign on this note.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    From Acura's press release:

A new TSX powertrain choice means performance luxury buyers can enjoy a 280 horsepower 3.5L V-6, with sophisticated VTEC® valvetrain control and a dual-stage induction system. For maximum performance and efficiency, the engine will be coupled to Acura's Sequential SportShift automatic transmission, with intelligent features such as Grade Logic Control and Shift Hold Control. If the driver desires, the Sequential SportShift transmission can also be operated manually, via steering-wheel mounted F1®-style paddle shifters.

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I think that's a smart move on Acura's part. More choices is always a good thing. I wonder if SH-AWD will follow, perhaps as part of the mid-cycle refreshening?
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    Hmm... Let's see... According to Edmunds.com...

'10 TSX V6 $34,850
    0-60: 6.4
    Quarter: 14.7@96
    5-speed auto

'09 G37 $33,250
    0-60: 5.4
    Quarter: 13.7@102.8
    7-speed auto

The numbers do not seem to favor the TSX
    how much is a 2010 G37 since you are comparing it with a 2010 tsx.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    IMO, probably 500-700 more than the '09.
    The base G37 doesn't have a moonroof, heated seats, iPod integration, auto-dim rearview mirror, compass/homelink, or Bluetooth. All standard on the TSX.

To get all that, you must order the G37 Journey with Premium Package. MSRP of $36,200 (2009 model).

And you can't put a price on the smooth and refined Acura V6 engine - the Infiniti runs like a Peterbuilt by comparison. :P
    that is more like it-
    Have never had luck with nissan products
    And you can't put a price on the smooth and refined Acura V6 engine - the Infiniti runs like a Peterbuilt by comparison.

I wouldn't drive the TSX or TL unless they're 10K cheaper than the G.

BTW, w/ premium package, you also get Bose, memory seat, heat seat, an power tilt & telescopic steering wheel...not sure if those are included with the base TSX.
    "not sure if those are included with the base TSX."

That's because you haven't done much research and don't know what you're talking about.

Both are fine cars in their own way. The G is a little quicker and hard-edged, the TSX is a little more refined and polished. Neither can be considered a luxury car or a sports car.
    OK, initially I wanted to say what I think, then I remembered seeing this on MT, see the readers comments for the TSX here (scroll to the bottom)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0906_2010_acura_tsx_v_6/index.htm- l

Then see the ones for the g37 here

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0810_2008_infiniti_g37_sedan_test- /index.html

Generally for every 1 person who liked the TSX, there was probably 10 who hated it. The reverse is true for the G37. As one who drives an 08 G35, moving to the G37 in 2010, I normally like a good fight, this is one I dont even mind losing. Couldnt care less.

Enjoy the TSX. Can I appeal to those who like the g37 to just let this one go and save you strength for worthy contenders like the 328i or the Hyundai Genesis V6 sedan.

I am out.
    Professional automotive journalists almost always prefer the car that is sportier and more fun to drive. When push comes to shove, 330hp and RWD is always going to be more exciting to play with than 280hp and FWD.

But nobody can say one car is "better" than the other. If you want a luxurious car that can spit a little fire when you want it to, then the G is a fine choice. There are, however, others who are willing to trade a little vim and vigor for some spit and polish.

The TSX is not as quick or dynamic as the G37, but it is a jewel of a machine.
    Thanks- I love my 06 Milano red/ebony 6MT/nav tsx, bought new 11/17/06. It has almost 85,000 problem free miles. Glad you love your G's as much.
  • ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    The base G37 doesn't have a moonroof, heated seats, iPod integration, auto-dim rearview mirror, compass/homelink, or Bluetooth. All standard on the TSX.

From your list I need only a heated seats. iPod is a joke and useless for me, I don't speak when I drive, no need for Bluetooth :) Moonroof is HUGE minus for me, because of less head space. I better pay $500 in order to get it removed:-)

smooth and refined Acura V6 engine
    Nice joke. Please, try BMW I6 at list once, you will get an idea about smooth engine. Honda's high revs engines with torque steer far away from "smooth".
    To be frank, I am not loyal to any brand
    Same here. Had 2001 acura tl-s, replaces brake rotors and pads every 30K miles, trans 3 times, leaking sun roof, clock lamp replaced 6 times, rusted exaust. Drop that junk at 50Kmile and switched to Accord....wrapped brake rotors, leaking windshield... Now I'm driving horrible BMW ....with 0 issues. 58Kmiles and counting
    That's because you haven't done much research and don't know what you're talking about.

You're right. I don't care about the TSX because of the weak engine. The last time I look at all of these cars closely was back in late 2007. I tested drive the TL and the G back in 2005 and I couldn't live with the TL even if I could find one cheaper.

However, you're the person who brought up the lack features on the G. You try to add the premium package to the G to make it equal to the base TSX. So, I think it's fair that I want to know if those 3 features are included in the TSX as well.
    previously owner a nissan maxima with MT- three transmissions, new engine, leaky sunroof, power windows stopped working, all covered under warranty, I am not loyal to any brand either: previously owned mercedes, volvo, mazda, mitsubishi, hyundai, honda, nissan, eagle, ford, chevy, and now acura (along with a hyundai and mitsubishi truck) My 06 tsx also has 0 issues, 85Kmiles and counting
    Refer to post 127 on this thread, I dont think anything has changed even with the additional horses. Acura's new engine with 250+ horses, not even sure how much exactly, takes the new TSX to 60 in less time than a the Rav 4 V6. Look @ the 305hp TL, slowest car with 300+ horses. The point I am trying to make is not about 0-60 times, but about delivery. Where are all the horses ending up with such uninspiring 0-60 times. The word that comes to mind is wastage, somewhere along the line there is some serious losses being made, something I cannot stand. No one makes more powerful 3.5l engines like Toyota (IS350) and Nissan (VQ engines and the CVT engines in the Maxima and Altima). I would have to add Honda (Honda Accord Coupe V6), but exlude Acura as under that name plate, they have certainly managed to mess up the good stuff available from the parent company. The Accord Coupe V6 is a sexy beast IMHO.

Handling: Dont even need to go there, another phrase that comes to mind is
    Torque Steer.

There seems to be a lot of talk about bluetooth, moonroof etc, bear in mind that the average buyer of a G spends 36k (MSRP) on this car. This is enough to get the premium package at least. Also note that the G can never be priced like the TSX, the guys at Nissan would be absolutetly NUTS to go that route. These are serious perfomance cars we are talking about, if you want the VQ engine you need at least 29k (the 350Z) and at that price you are getting the base model. You will notice that even an Evo starts at 32k (base), that is just the way cars in the G's league are priced, save for the Genesis Coupe. There is always an exception to the rule :)

As I noted in post 127, unless you are truly trying to be myopic and not willing to look at big picture, you will also realize that the G drivers are those guys who looked at the 335i (lucky bastards driving those cars:)) but realized that the car is expensive yet the G is very close in performance to this car. So rather than spend 52k, on a fully loaded 335i. you can save +10k on the G. Many G drivers, I included do not even consider FWD cars.

And before someone rants about interior room, bells and whistles, refinement, residual value, reliability I would seriously consider picking up a copy of Consumer Report and see who is placed 1st in the ELLPS category. Consumer report is hardly a performance oriented magazine, but looks more at ownership experience. Do you know which car has a 95% approval rating from its owners.

I am sorry, this is not the right car to pick for a comparison. Have you considered the Maxima, Altima v6, Honda Accord v6, Hyundai Genesis V6 (at least its a RWD), Evo, 328i, A4 2l 4 banger, Camry v6. I think before you can even start dreaming of taking on the G, you should seriously consider these worthy contenders for the TSX. I probably would pick the 328i or the Honda Accord before I can start thinking of the TSX
    ...talking being loyal to any brand...'m in the same boat...I (we) used to own Corolla, Camry, Solara, Avalon, 323i, Altima and they always had this or that problems. Out of those cars, the Avalon seems the worst of all. Currently, my '07 Altima and '08 G seems to be holding good...but may be b/c they're still relatively new.

I didn't get any Hondas in the past b/c I don't like their designs at all. However, the current generation of Hondas are not bad. I might try the Accord to replace the Altima in the near future.
    "Bose, memory seat, heat seat, an power tilt & telescopic steering wheel...not sure if those are included with the base TSX."

"However, you're the person who brought up the lack features on the G. You try to add the premium package to the G to make it equal to the base TSX."

360w 7-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio with RDS, XM satellite radio, and iPod integration.
    Heated leather seats with 2 driver memory.
    Manual tilt & telescoping wheel.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/acura/tsx/101174005/standard.html
    Wow...very impress w/ the standard features...I'm surprise that we can find more info. on edmunds than the Acura website.
    I don't think Acura has officially announced the specs yet.

I still think the 4 cyl TSX with 6-speed MT is the better car (and it's only $29,000).
    "To then turn around and wear blinkers to compare the G with the TSX, I doubt anything useful will come out of this. I will resign on this note."

Resignation accepted. :P
    Oh, that was post number 127, and at the time I was referring to the old TSX, see my post today, post # 144 on the V6 TSX

And just to add to the accolades of the Infiniti G series, JD Powers just released this today, highest ranked initial quality survey. Its an honor to stand next to a Lexus when it comes to quality cos those guys are merciless in that dept. The TSX is so out of its league with the G its not even funny. Believe me, I will be having fun with this thread. :shades:

Entry premium car:

-Highest ranked: Lexus IS

-Runners-up: Cadillac CTS, Infiniti G-Series
    Nobody is saying the G37 isn't a great car. Your neighbors are are green with envy and young girls swoon whenever you drive by. OK?

The question is - why is it so hard to understand that the TSX is also a terrific car?
    Oh, I was merely trying to point out that these cars, when compared, the G will come out on top from any angle you wish to take. Which is why I said you are choosing the wrong car to take on, the G is simply a beast and is probably one of the most underrated cars out there. You should check the press coming out of Dubai, Europe, Australia on this car. Granted it has not unsit the 335i from the throne but who could be second (Unfortunately the IS350 has handling issues, otherwise a close contender)

Yes the TSX is a great car, and yes the G is not the greatest car in the segment at least from a performance perspective, but once you factor everything in, even here at Edmunds they placed it 1st over the 335i, IS350, CTS, C350. Try pitting a TSX against these cars, see what happens.
    The G does not really need to compete head-to-head with the 335i, since its price is much closer to 328i territory. The G will run figure-8's around the 328i. Thats what sold me on the G, it's such a great car for the money. The value consideration is also why it won the comparison test you mentioned againt the fierce competition in that comparo.

The CTS in that article was down-graded because of its relatively slow performance (0-60 in mid 6's), which, incidently, is around the same performance as the TSX V6.
    Well, you're comparing an apple and a pomegranate and trying to explain why the pomegranate is superior.

From a personal perspective, I have driven both the G35 and G37 sedan and here are some of my thoughts:

1. The G35/37 has a powerful drivetrain - no doubt about it. But to my surprise, the G doesn't pull like a freight train like I expected. Torque still feels a little soft at lower RPM's. The BMW twin turbo is far superior in power delivery. The G does a nice job of hiding it's size and weight (it's a big, heavy car), but it definitely isn't as nimble as the smaller TSX.

2. Clutch take-up was too high and sudden which made moving from a stand-still unnecessarily difficult (especially on uphill inclines). Combine the poor clutch with an overly sensitive throttle tip-in (thanks to drive-by-wire), and the G was even difficult to upshift during normal driving. Pedal placement was also not the best for heel-and-toe downshifting, which is moot in the G because the aforementioned clutch/throttle issues made me loath to try it more than a couple of times. I did like the shifter action - short and precise throws with just the right heft. It was more precise and better feeling than the BMW 3-series, but not as slick as the TSX.

3. Interior ergonomics. Sorry, I hate the G37 cockpit. This one is much better than the 1st gen G35, but Infiniti is still behind Lexus, Audi, and Acura in designing a cockpit that's intimate, attractive, and functional. I know this is a personal call and everyone has a different opinion here, but to me, the layout and appearance of that recessed center display area is less organic and distracting - it ruins the otherwise smooth lines of the dashboard. The Infiniti's switchgear is also somewhat lacking in quality feel and precision of action as compared to other cars in this class. This is an area where Honda/Acura shines. Overall, the TSX cabin is light and airy, everything falls perfectly into place, and all the controls have a feel of quality and precision.

4. Exterior looks. I like the looks of the G37 from some angles, but I think it's a little on the boring. I'm afraid it will look dated very quickly like the 1st generation G35 does.

5. Chassis / driveline refinement is another area where the G37 has improved significantly since the first generation G35, but I think they tipped the pendulum a little too far the other way. Where the old car was noisy and harsh, but had razor sharp reflexes, the new car is a little soft and numb. It does have a good ride now however. BMW also went too soft and heavy with the current generation 3 series - as did Acura. I can only imagine what a soft, understeering pig the TSX will be with a big V6 over the front axle. The old 4cylinder TSX was very light on it's humble little feet with quick turn-in and great chassis response - I really liked the 1st generation TSX.

Anyway, there you have it - my personal, completely biased opinion of these cars. Personally, I wouldn't choose either one. The G37 isn't fast enough to be thrilling, and it isn't luxurious enough to be coddling - kind of a Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none if you ask me.

For around $35,000, I'd rather own a Genesis on the luxury side or an Evo X on the sport side.
    I think the TSX's center stack, much like the current generation Accord's, looks like a sea of tiny black buttons. It may be functional, but it does not look luxurious.

I agree that the G looks a little plain, but is that really bad? It's hard to read any article, forum, etc. about the TL without many, many complaints about the ugly front end. The TSX's front end has a similar, if toned-down, appearance. Like the dash appearances this is subjective, maybe Acura's styling works for you. I sure have read a lot of complaints about it though and perhaps the plain styling of the Infiniti is not all that bad. The Acura's styling actually is starting to grow on me a little, but I still hesitate to spend 35 grand on a car and have family and friends tell me it's ugly.

The G's throttle does take some getting used to, but after 2 or 3 weeks it was no longer a major issue.

I think you hit the nail on the head about it being a jack of all trades and master of none, but again this may be looked at as a good thing. Sure the Evo will outperform it, ever sat in one? It has about as much luxury as a Chevy Chevette. The Genesis is a nice car for sure, but the G will out-accelerate it (even the V8 version by a small margin) and out-corner it.

The G is a car that will run neck-and-neck with a Mustang GT and offer a fair amount of luxury for mid-30's in price. There just aren't too many other cars out there that can say that.
    I agree about the TSX looks. I actually think the 2nd generation TSX was a step down from the 1st generation car (I may be biased, I owned a 2004 TSX for 2 years).

The old car was simple and elegant, while the new one is needlessly fussy and overstyled (yes, especially the beak).

Here is the 2004 TSX which I still consider a benchmark for the class in interior ergonomics, comfort, design, and quality ...

You're right about the excellent qualities of the G and the niche it fills very well between sport and luxury. Truth be told, I've been playing a little Devil's advocate here simply because I don't understand all narrow-minded opinions of the juvenile 0-60 fanboys that worship it. It's really a very poor choice for someone who's looking for a "fast car." It's quick, but it's not fast.
    The question is - why is it so hard to understand that the TSX is also a terrific car?
    Have you had a chance to drive "terrific car?" What's about torque steer and FWD? Why 5 speed auto?
This discussion has been closed.