Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• melissa27melissa27 Member Posts: 1
    Would love to acquire a Navigator, but truly hate the plastic molding at the bottom of the doors and in both the front and back of the vehicle. Don't know why it's there. Think that it detracts from the overall appearance of the auto and am wondering if I am able to purchase one without it. An "all metal" exterior. The only dealer I have consulted advised no, so I have been awaiting the '04 models. They seem to have it, too. Can I contact Lincoln directly?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's a place to start.

tidester, host
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Benefits of the plastic cladding are mainly to avoid dents, rock nicks, etc. At least with the Navigator is that it blends well into the bodywork and doesn't look THAT tacked on like GM's.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    ANT: Did you post a review of the XC-90 on that board? I'd like to know what you think....

PLASTIC CLADDING: I doubt very much you can delete it, it's pretty indemic to the design, as it has been since inception. You could, of course, modify it yourself at a body shop unless you're leasing. You may impact resale however. I have a friend like you. He had a Blazer, took it to the body shop, had every badge and piece of trim removed, and repainted the truck. Looks very plain to me. Personally, I like the look of the cladding - it's tastefully done IMO. If it didn't flutter in the wind. whole different subject.
    On which board? Yes I just test drove an XC90. I was very much impressed.
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    The only vehicle I've ever heard of with "optional" cladding is the Avalanche.
    Optional or superfluous?
    On the XC-90 board?
    On this site? No don't think I did. On another site, yes I did. I don't think I've particularly done Volvo topics on Edmunds.com considering that's not the core information I receive.
    New for the 2004 Navi
    * Tire pressure monitoring system now standard
    * Optional AdvanceTrac™ now features Roll Stability Control
    * Front tweeter speakers
    * New exterior colors: Merlot, True Blue, Light French Silk
    * New interior colors: Light Parchment with Dark Stone accents, Dove Gray with Granite accents
    Thanks for the update on the 2004, ANT. Sounds like some good stuff, and welcome color additions. Hope they kill the Mineral Grey color. I really don't like that color on the Nav. It's ok on the Mountaineer. Light Parchment interior would be great too.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Those new colors sound interesting. I can't wait to see what they really look like (French Silk, Dove gray??). Also, what is Roll Stability Control -- I know, it helps prevent rollovers but how?

In any case, it sounds like the Navi is getting better each year.
    Roll control is coupled with the stability control system, it uses yaw sensors as well to control a possible flip. Worse case senario you do flip, it'll keep the side airbags inflated for a longer duration to prevent someone from being ejected, while it's rolling/tumbling, over and over.
    Doesn't the XC-90 have that now? Is Lincoln getting that tech from Volvo? Or wherever they buy it?
    Volvo's 'group effort' for Ford is safety, so it's something that could have been co-developed. Just like the XC90 has that "Slide middle/booster seat 2nd row" that the Explorer/Mount./Avi. have.

Mazda's group effort, is 4-cylinder engineering.

Land Rover's, truck-like, SUV-like technology (not yet phased in, in any form)

Aston Martin's The extreme parts/ideas that will trickle many years later to other Ford brands.

Jaguar's, sophisticated techonology/engineer, that will later trickle down. Etc.
  • lani5lani5 Member Posts: 17
    The Navigator seems to get better each year. Interesting new colors, too! Makes me wish I had waited for the 2004 model.

Anybody heard of updates on the brake dust problem that Ford is addressing, free of charge for us?
    to hear about a brake dust fix from my dealer -- someone here said earlier that it won't come 'till later in the year.. and yes the '04 Navi is looking good, and '05 will probably be better yet (THX sound system?? satellite radio factory option??) -- that's why I'll probably dump the '03 for an '05 later next year (FORD must LOVE suckers like me!!!).
    Speaking of Owner Loyalty :-) Just released today are the Polk's Loyalty Rankings for midyear. This measures returning customer's who will be the same vehicle model, or return back to the brand in general.

Ford led for top Make Loyalty at 57.6%.

Fullsize SUV Lincoln Navigator at 31.9%.

Other notes pertaining to Ford vehicles....

Fullsize Pickup Truck Ford F-Series 38.0%

Compact Pickup Truck Ford Ranger 24.0%

Luxury Car Lincoln Town Car 42.9%

Midsize Car Mercury Sable 31.5%

Small Car Ford Focus 26.9%

Out of those, the Navi and Sable are the 2 "new" one's which topped their segments this year over last year, where as the other's listed were already winners in their segments last year.
    is to keep innovating and getting better. It was just brought up in the the Aviator board that the Navi needs front parking sensors and all auto up/down window switches. While we're at it how about a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel with an easy exit feature. Add to that a THX certified sound system, factory satellite radio, the already available DVD-based voice recognition navigation system and what else could one want? The Navigator is in the unique position of being able to set the standard in Large Lux SUV's. They are sooooo close.

If the features keep coming and the reliability of the gee-whiz gadgets holds up then Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc had better start worrying. C'mon Lincoln, let's make those other car company sweat a little!!
    Yes a few of the mentioned items will be implemented in the future, just not this, nor next year though. Also, more power fill come into play in the mid-life cycle, which should be about a year and a half from now.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    I apologize for asking this without having time to browse through the board - are there any watchouts on this vehicle? We know of a 4wd that they are asking $21,500 on that has 49,500 miles with sunroof and cd changer. Supposedly its loaded. What is expected mpg on this vehicle. Thanks for the help anybody.
    I know of no watchouts on this truck. My 99 lasted for 65,000 miles before I sold it, with no problems at all. It was an awesome truck, and the 2000 was upgraded with lots more stuff. MPG isn't pretty, it's not really a question one should ask in a truck this size (gulp). Plan on 12-13/16-18. The thing is, unless you get a diesel, nobody else can do you any better. Buy with confidence, most likely.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    for the response. Does everybody use premium or can you get by with regular or mid-grade? I know I'll have to get used to SUV MPG being lousy, but it should would be easier to take without the $.20 gallon upgrade to premium.
    I've owned a 2000 gator (bad rear wiper fixed twice, tire recall -- that's about it for problems I had) and now have a 2003. I have always used premium gas (manual said so). I guess if you want to risk using a lower octane fuel I doubt you would cause any irreparable damage -- heck you may not even notice anything at all and save some bucks. I'm sure one of our more mechanically inclined Navi owners will give you better advice. Me-- I stopped looking at gas prices, mpg, etc. when I decided to drive these tug boats. When I get older I'll drive a Toyota echo hybrid to atone for my sins. :)
    Premium is required, although the engine I believe has a knock sensor that will adjust itself incase you use a lower octane gas. But you will be operating on reduced power, and on such a vehicle, it might end up being equal in the end since it'll need to be pushed a bit harder to get it to what your used to.

I wouldn't risk it though. If your a bit worried about the fuel milage, but like the size of the vehicle and it fits your needs, you could always get a loaded Expedition Eddie Bauer. Just a thought ;-)
    All the genius engineers I know say to use what the car is made for, you'll save no money by skimping on the octane rating, because you'll reduce performance & economy. They don't threaten damage to the engine really, it will generally compensate, as ANT says, but in the end, you're not saving anything. It's a premium truck - it needs premium gas to get you the performance the engine is built for. Really, you have to get over this gas economy thing if you're going to drive one of these, as gteach says. If it's going to give you anxiety each time you go to the pump - this isn't the size vehicle for you.
    You need a 6 cylinder Mountaineer....
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I'm getting the "SUV" itch again. I'm wanting to trade my 2002 Mercedes ML500 in on a '04 Navigator or maybe the Volvo XC90. I want a little more space and I'm just not as happy with the ML as I thought I would be. It's been a good car (excellent air-conditioning) but the power steering is hard to turn in tight situations (big tires?). Also, the quality is not in par with the other Mercedes I've owned/have.

For those of you who have the sliding running boards, what are the pro's and con's with that? And, would you highly recommend the auto liftgate?

Also, do Navigators have the option of a bench seat for the second row or are they all bucket seats with the console?

Thanks, Mark156
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    I took one home with the sliding running boards. Everybody who saw the car, loved them.....except me. They were a pain, always sliding in and out everytime a door was opened and closed. But they are darn cute. I purposely opted out of that option. The power liftgate is very nice, and usually comes with the power folding 3rd seat, which is also very nice. However, both operate quite easily manually, and I felt the power convenience of those two features also not necessary - but I bought them, and I enjoy them both.

You can get a 2nd row bench seat, which is what I got. The other configuration with the console is nice, but seems to really cut down the utility of the seating in the truck. I know, you only lose one seat, but I also took one home with a console, and opted against that.

It's a lot bigger than the XC-90. Did you consider an Aviator as well?
    The power running boards can be left in the closed position at all times with the touch of a button on the dash. I think they can also be left open (not 100% sure on that -- I have to check the manual). If you drive over 5mph I think they automatically retract. I was not going to get this option originally, but it came bundled in with my truck and I am VERY happy to have them.

On the liftgate: I find this option to be indespensible. You'll never have to lug open and close a heavy trunk again. If you are going to keep your Navigator in the garage (like me) you'll have to be careful that the liftgate does not hit the garage door top.

Power fold seats are a nice touch but open and close a bit too slowly for my tastes. The fact that they fold completely FLAT and disappear when not needed makes this THE best 3rd row design ever -period.

In case you are worried about the gadgets breaking remember Lincoln has a 4year/48,000 bumper to bumper warranty AND you get complimentary maintenance for the first three years.

Lincoln has some awesome deals out there right now- check their website for details.

If you want to save some $$ try out a loaded Expedition -- same size, similar features, but MUCH less cushy inside. Aviator is nice too, but lots smaller.

Good Luck!
    qteach and nvbanker, thank you for the informative description of your vehicles and recommendations.

I'm am leaning towards the Lincoln Nav. the more I read about it. I wanted to get one when they first came out in '98 but went with the second Jeep Grand Cherokee and then with the 2002 ML500 with the third seat option, bi-xenons, parktronic, etc.

I really want the comfort of the Lincoln and all of the "American" toys that come with it.

Does the Navigation system work well? My Mercedes is excellent and has 9 disks to cover the US. Also I have the front and rear parktronic that I'm addicted to. Do they have front parktronic on the Lincoln?

On the automatic side rail, does it seem like dirt, grime and sand could damage the unit? Do you have to be really careful to keep it clean?

It's nice to chat with you guys who really know your vehicles.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Make sure you get the NEW navigation system. It's really sharp. The old one that has now been discontinued, was a little funky.

My impression was that the running boards could handle about anything. They seemed tough and reliable, not subject to problems. That wasn't why I didn't get them.

I'm not aware of parktronic in the front being available until 2004. It has it in the back.
  • auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    It is about time for me to take my Navi in for the 5000 mile first checkup. I see some of you have had some fun in your first checkup. How is the fix for the panel noise working out? Does anyone know what I need to ask for as far as TSB#? I question whehter my service folks will know...
    I think if you just complain about the wind noise from the cladding, they'll find the TSB alright. I didn't get the number. I also really doubted the efficacy of the cure, but it did seem to help. Mine didn't bother me much anyway, I just turn the radio up, and the A/C is usually going full choke too.
    Cladding noise: I took it in for 5K mile service and mentioned the problem and my service advisor immediately knew about it and offered to "fix" it (no TSB # sorry!). They put some kind of adhesive foam in there. I agree with nvbanker in that the noise was not really a big deal for me either.. I only heard it if going 60/70+ with the a/c on low and the radio off (that combo hardly ever happens with me). After the fix, the noise seems to have disapeared on the few test runs I've done.

Parktronic -- Mark, I LOVE the rear sensors on my Gator, and whenever I drive a vehicle without it I miss the beep-beep security blanket tremendously. Ditto with NVbanker that 03's do not have it in front -- but he states that they are adding them to the front for '04 --that would be fantastic if they did!

Navigation system: I have the CD based navigation system and when compared to my wife's lexus DVD-based system, the DVD Nav has better graphics, and inputting data is easier on the touchscreen. The accuracy of the data and the voice prompts are both the same quality (they'll both drive you into a canal sometimes if you are not careful, this technology is NOT perfect by any means). In the CD system, I like the fact that it has radio preset buttons separate form the navigation controls. On the DVD system you have to switch between audio and navigation to change stations (of course, you can just change stations from the steering wheel too). BUT, the new system is voice activated AND you have the CD changer behind the navigation screen, not on the passenger side foot well. If I had the choice now I would get the DVD system. They've only been making the DVD system as of March so unless you are buying a gator that has sat in the lot a looong time, you won't even find it anymore.

If you want to take a look at the '03 owners manual for details on all the gadgets click on the link below. If you have high speed internet it will come up instantly as an ADOBE file, otherwise it may take a few minutes.

https://web.msslib2.dealerconnection.com/RightSite/getcontent/myf- ile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000c588037e84c

For pricing, I have used carsdirect.com. You can input the features you want, your zip code and it will spit out a deal instantly, INCLUDING all available rebates, incentives, etc. If you hate haggling just take this number to the dealership and they'll match it. Or better yet, buy it through carsdirect and they do all the work for you.

Happy driving (sorry about the long post)!
    When my '03 Navigator is on, I can feel a VERY subtle, gentle harshness coming through the steering wheel. When idling, I KNOW the truck is on, whereas in other LUX suv's I've driven, I could not tell if the engine was running when I was in a stoplight -- I like that level of isolation. Is my gator just not designed for that level of quiet smoothness (both idling and while moving), or can the smoothness of the truck be adjusted somehow? I AM being very picky here - I would say 90% of people would not notice anything strange - and my service advisor will probably look at me funny for bringing it up. I'm just wondering what I should expect from this truck.
  • jeneralleejenerallee Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2000 gator. After bringing it home we realized the subwoofer was not there. Now the dealer we bought it from is telling us the system never had one therefore they won't put one in for us. Is this true...no subwoofer in some 2000 systems? It's hard to believe that our Alpine system is supposed to sound this bad---no bass at all.
    and it HAD a sub woofer.. in fact, on long trips I would have to turn the bass down because it bothered whoever was in the third row (that's where it was located). I think you are getting a raw deal! For absolute confirmation, try calling Lincoln Customer service at 1-800 521-4140. Good Luck!
  • gatorgirl2003gatorgirl2003 Member Posts: 1
    Are there any owners of the 2003 model Navigator that are as displeased as I am with the wind noise in the cabin. They have already fixed the flapping noise in the door panel but it is still a loud wind turbulence noise when driving over 50mph. I just had it in for service today and this time they tell me that it is because the side mirrors are so much bigger then the earlier models and that is where the wind turbulence cones from. They told me to pull in my side mirrors and it lessens the noise. I don't know about you but I use my side mirrors when I'm driving down the highway. I had a 1998 Nav and it had a nice quiet ride as you would expect of a 50,000 luxury vehicle.
    Just when I think I might want a Navigator there are problems that people are having. I've had a couple of Jeeps Grand Cherokee's and currently a Mercedes ML500. Is there any vehicle out there that people just love and have no problems?

I want a luxury vehicle that is reliable, quiet, reliable, powerful, reliable and roomy... is that too much to ask?

Ford, are you listening? M.
    Gatorgirl: My 2003 gator seems plenty quiet to me on the highway. There is some wind noise but that'll never go completely away. The only way to see if your gator has a real problem is to drive another one and see if it produces the same noise. If it does I am afraid you are stuck.

Mark 156: Even though I LOVE the size and features of my gator I also wish they had less issues associated with them. At least I take comfort knowing that my dealer takes care of any problems that creep up. I do not think any car can be perfect but so far I've had the following issues in 6 months: suspension issues, body cladding noise, side mirrors act crazy at times, brake dust on front rims (YUCK), excessive steering wheel vibration.

Please note that ALL of these items have been fixed by my dealership to my satisfaction (except brake dust -- still waiting on a free Ford fix for that one).

If you are looking for a bullet-proof lux SUV I recommend the Lexus LX 470. IMO it has the most luxurious interior, it drives like pure silk, and its reliability seems to be top-notch. I've been sooo close to getting one on several occasions, but the Navigator has extra features that the LX does not have such as fold flat and roomy third row seats, a power liftgate, HID lights, power running boards, and parking assist. These features, combined with the larger size, and smaller $$$$ made me go for the gator instead. Overall I am happy with my choice. What will my next truck be?? The jury is still out on that one.
  • dad1197dad1197 Member Posts: 1
    Just been informed that lincoln is buying back my 02 Navigator after having it serviced 9 times, 6 times for the airbag system, 3 times for the suspension. They agreed to buy it back and provide a new 03.

What changes for the good or bad will I find going from the 02 to an 03. I had a 99 as well and loved both the 99/02, excpet for the times it was in shop.

Also anyone experience a buyback. What exactly will happen, can I get options on it that were not on my 02. Emails welcomed as well

risp73@aol.com

thanks
    gteach: I did notice a lot more "feedback" from the steering wheel in my 03, attributable to the rack & pinion steering, but it's pretty much all road feel. I get no vibration from it at idle, however I do feel the engine running in this truck. I did in the 99 too. I don't in the Mountaineer! That annoys me too, I should think this engine would be absent any vibration at idle. It is very smooth running. I can't imagine what would make your wheel vibrate at idle. And I'm sure your service advisor will give you "the look" too:)

jenerallee: You are owed a sub-woofer, unless your Gator was a rental previously, and doesn't have the Alpine system. The Alpine said so on the Cassette door. Some rentals were sent out sans the CD jockey - perhaps some were made without the Alpine too?

gatorgirl: I've not noticed much wind noise at high speed - this truck is quieter than my 99 was.

dad: I think you'll love the Ford buyback. I've never encountered a car company that handles these issues better. They will likely give you a new 03 off the lot that you pick out, or build you one if they don't have what you want. If you choose one comparably equipped, and you're leased or financed with Ford Credit, the loan or lease will continue likely as it is. If you want to upgrade, or would like to refinance due to more favorable rates now, they'll work with you. My experience is, they will make you very happy.

They they'll take your old truck and send it somewhere to be autopsied to find out why it has failed. It will become an engineer's cadaver.

I just finished a week in the mountains with my Navigator, and I couldn't be more pleased. It exceeded my expectations, and I expected a lot after 4 flawless years with my old 99. This one is even tighter and much more agile rock climbing than the old one. The Independent Rear Suspension is delightful in stepping over rocks and holes. Never even came close to scraping, and I used to in the old one on this road once in a while. It never got stuck. Ran like a champ, and seemed to stay at high ground clearance most of the time on the mountain, even when at rest, unless it was pretty level. Nice feature. After bumping it around on the worst imaginable roads, and some non-roads for a week, putting it back on the highway and feeling zero ill effects gave me a lot of confidence in the new body & suspension. One real difference, the new rack & pinion steering gives you a ton of feedback on the road, or non-road surface. More than I need, but it's ok. You can really "feel" the twists & turns of the road. Car & Driver think that's a good thing. I am amazed at how tight and substantial the new body is. If there was going to be a rattle develop, this week should have done it. It's as solid as ever.

After 6000 miles, and a very hard week off road, I'm extremely pleased. It's a great truck for the money.
  • kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    What is the recommended tire pressure for the '03 Navigators?
    According to the sticker inside my fuel door it is 35 psi for all 4 tires (factory - Michellin Cross Terrain SUV). Check your fuel door though, just in case your truck has different tires, weight, etc.
    And while on the subject of tires, I generally love Michelins, but these cross terrain tires on my Nav have no off -road grip at all...... They are way streety
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    I was on the Ford Fleet website today and it looks like Lincoln is discontinuing its free 3/36K maintenance program.

I don't think this is a good idea - do you?
    I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the three years free maintenance was being whittled down to one year. Any confirmation of this?

If they do drop it it would be a shame -- what do thirty six months of free maintenance come to $$-wise for your typical Navigator -- five hundred bucks, a thousand?? I'm not sure. It would however, be one less incentive to buy a gator that unfortunately some feel are not as reliable as import lux suv's. BUT.. if they keep improving the quality, features and styling of the Navigator they won't need any incentives at all and people will buy them anyway.

Lincoln, drop the free maintenance -fine, but you better keep improving the quality of your craftsmanship!
    Ford probably needs to back off this program right now for financial reasons. They're cutting white collar jobs by the thousands. If they don't wall street will eat them alive. But it is a shame. The lack of that program would not be a deal breaker for me, but it is a very "nice" thing to offer, and makes the buyer feel good about the car, the purchase, the manufacturer. They feel good ever 5000 miles too. Not bad goodwill for $180. That's all it would be folks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    They're cutting white collar jobs by the thousands.

Things are tight all over. Volkswagen is cutting 4,000 jobs in Brazil.

tidester, host
  • flipwflipw Member Posts: 2
    I am having several severe problems with my Navigator. I have replaced the the radio 3 times and it still does not work properly. The liftgate motor is on its third one - hope it lasts. The sideview mirrors have been into the shop 4 times for the same problem - still won't go back to their original position. I have a very noticable miss while idling - after the second time complaining it turns out I need a new cylinder head. The front end shimmys at highway speeds. The fan or actuator does not work right and can't get proper airflow out of the A/C. I need any information anyone may have about lemon law and buyback. Thanks.