Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ncsportsfan57ncsportsfan57 Member Posts: 3
    Interesting to hear you tell this.

Ford Customer Care is worthless as I have spoken with them about this 3 times in the past 14 months.

Purchased vehicle in Aug 2005. Rear brakes replaced and rotors turned in Apr 2006 at 31,000 miles. Rear brakes replaced and rotors turned again at 54,000 miles in Oct 2006. Total cost $485 and no warranty coverage, even though I purchased the 100,000 extended coverage.

I now have 93,000 miles and rear brakes need replacing as well as rotors. In NC I am being told these parts are on nationwide backorder and it will be 2-3 weeks before my vehicle can be repaired but I have been told my car is unsafe to drive!

I have contacted Ford customer care and advised them that I expect an answer today. (I have consulted NC lemon law attorney and joined the class action lawsuit against Ford on this issue)

My first and last Ford purchase. Vehicle is OK but the dealer and factory support is terrible...no one seems to care in the least.
  • ncsportsfan57ncsportsfan57 Member Posts: 3
    the tranny fluid is outrageous......like $17 quart and it takes 14 qts..........unbelievable!
  • kandrews12345kandrews12345 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had a long standing problem with their flashers?

My left turn flasher starts flashing regular speed and after three or four flashes it starts flashing very fast. The right side does this intermitantly.
    My drivers seat and power pedals stop working from time to time. The dealer keeps changing relays but my warranty is up in a couple of weeks.

What might be causing the relay to keep burning out?
  • times2times2 Member Posts: 45
    That's Ford's way to let you know you have a light bulb out. Check all of your turn signal bulbs. At least one must be burned out. I had one go bad on my 500 already. It was a rear bulb. I used to have a 1998 Mercury Mystique. It did the same thing when a bulb burned out. Hope that helps.
    Thanks, the right rear turn signal was blown.
  • adams430adams430 Member Posts: 1
    Instrument Cluster went completely dead, none of the gauges worked for a short period of time. The odometer went blank and all indicator lights/warning lights flashed for a moment. The gauges started working again and then went dead again. This happened several times in a 10 minute span. Then they all started working again, and has not happened in the last two days. Anyone had this happen with this car or any other Ford?
  • vtc1vtc1 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased an 07 Montego. The first time the fuel gauge was below 1/2 full and above 1/4 full, the gauge immediately went to "empty", low fuel light came on and an alarm sounded(bell).But the worse part about it is that the car acts like it is running out of fuel when it really isn't. I took it back to the dealer and their techs said it was bad sending units in the gas tank. These were replaced. Next time the gauge read 1/4 full, the same thing happened. So the dealership filled it up again and it happened again and this time it happened between 1/2 and 1/4 full.The engineers said this was normal! When is it normal for any vehicle to display any kind of low fuel alarm when there is still six gallons of fuel in the tank? I can understand an indicator on the dash(maybe).But to act like it it going to stall when there is plenty of fuel is a different matter. The engineers have no clue. Does anyone have any ideas? This is a brand new car. I guess I might have to take it back and stay away from Ford products altogether.Anyway, any suggestions?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    try geting a fuel system cleaner with techron in it.

Sulfer in the gas plays havoc with the Ford sending unit.

Mark.
    I already tried a different brand of fuel besides what the dealer had. Same problem.
    Just using different gas won't get it out, try using a fuel system cleaner. If it doesn't work you are only out $11.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I had a problem a couple of weeks ago with my '06 Five Hundred. I stopped at a store to get a soda. I came back out and started the car and then it "shimmy and shook" and then the check motor light came on. It then didn't have any power what so ever. The dealership later stated that it went in to a "limp home" mode and that is why it didn't have any power.

I was told on Saturday that the throttle body went out and the part would not be in until Wednesday.

Let me say that this car is a company provided car. That being said - if this is the best Ford can do in a full-size car it's pretty sad.

Good enough - isn't in todays highly competitive market. I have never had a part like this go out in any car I have owned. More less one with 34,000 miles on it.

If I had to make a choice in a car - or if I had a choice for a company car, it would be an Accord or Camry!

Enough Said!!!
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    Yeah, I'm sure that there's never been an Accord or Camry with a similar problem at the same mileage. :P
    Well - you can say one thing...just look at the number of sales of Accord and Camry and compare them to the 500 - it's not even close.............
    According to the latest JD Power survey, the Milan came in first with the least problems in the first 90 days of ownership. Accord came second, Fusion and Mitsu Galant tied for third. Camry finish where? They didn't say.

Chevy sells lots of Impalas, that doesn't mean they are good cars.

You don't even know if Ford made the throttle body of it a supplier did. Sure it was a Ford design but by every study done out there on quality, Ford is in line with or exceeding the Japanese competition.

Just think about how man times your computer crashes and you just shrug your shoulders...thats they way Windows is and we accept it. Even the worst car doesn't misbehave as much as the average home computer. Try to put things into prospective. Especially since you are still under the new car warranty.

Mark.
  • dssc99dssc99 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing recently started happening to my five hundred. The dealer has no idea why this is happening and can't duplicate the situation. Have you found out what is causing the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I can appreciate the fact the Milan received high marks. But here is the thing, most auto experts agree with in the next two or three years Mercury will be history. Ford has to downsize and Mercury just doesn't have the volume.
    1. Mercurys are very inexpensive to create in addition to the Ford when they just put different front and rears on them. Mercury doesn't need to be any more different. As long as there is the perception of better quality materials, people people believe that the seats are more comfortable and that the ride is better. Many people tell me that the Mariner just has a way better ride than the Escape.

2. Having to distinct styles of the same car, allows Ford to make each model more focused. Most people who like the front of the Milan hate the razor look of the Fusion. But alot of people just can't stop going on about they do like the Fusion. Ford has a car for both customers.

3. Ford needs the high profit vehicles of Lincoln and Lincoln dealers need Mercury to get enough sales to survive.

My dealership has all 3 brands and while we are always out of the top 10 in Ford sales for the region, we are always in the 10 ten for Lincoln/Mercury. My dealership is in an older more conservative community.

People need to stop evaluating Ford by the number of cars that they sell, and pay attention to whether they make money.

Mark.
    Well, it appears you and the auto experts disagree on the future of Mercury.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    this is just personal opinion, but i think the days where a manufacturer re-brands a design with cosmetic tweaks are gonna come to a close. people are more savvy and realize that certain vehicles are only cosmetically different.

i would think the manufacturer would wise up and simplify their product offerings in order to become most competitve.

your arguments don't seem to make sense to this person. one of the reasons why i stay away from fords is because of these extraneous lines of nearly identical product. it speaks volumes to me about their lack of focus.
  • markespmarkesp Member Posts: 1
    Mark, regarding point #1, I understand what you are saying. But as far as I know, even though the Mercury models are based on Ford Chassis, additional design changes and refinements are made to these vehicles. I thought that was one of the reasons they were more reliable in the surveys.

Have I been duped as well or is there any validity to this perception? :lemon:
  • gemini6gemini6 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2006 Mercury Montego in for the 15,000 service[ to my mechanic] and found out that I only had 5-10% of the rear brakes left.[ The car had 16,800 miles on it by this time].I called and scheduled to have them replaced and at the same time told the dealer my concern about the rotors, their reply was that since they did not do the service they would have to look at the car first. I had to drive it 45 miles to the dealer and waited for them to look at it[It took about an hour before they came out and told me that the brakes were metal to metal]. This was on Fri afternoon. They said that could trim the rotors enough and put new pads on it til the rotors came in[ they were to have them overnighted and] Well I am still waiting for them to get in and it had been well over a week. When I called to check up on them I was informed that they were on National back order whatever that means. Has there been anyone else that has had the same problem. I am not sure if I am going to keep the car if the brakes have to be replaced every 15,000 miles.
  • times2times2 Member Posts: 45
    Well - hopefully, this will be a one-shot deal, per the warranty replacement program. Seems like the factory rear brakes were stored in damp conditions, which caused the problem. I just had my done last week under warranty at about 33,000 miles. The rotors were OK, so they just turned them to clean them up and put the new pads on. Here's the warranty letter if you need it.

EXTENDED COVERAGE PROGRAM
    07N10 Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ligon
    Director
    Service Engineering Operations
    Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
    P.O. Box 1904
    Dearborn, Michigan 48121

July 3, 2007

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 07N10
    Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the warranty coverage of the rear brake pads to 3 years of service or 36,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already accumulated more than 36,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2007. This program provides one-time replacement coverage, and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego FWD & AWD and Ford Freestyle FWD vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through November 28, 2006.
    Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Freestyle AWD Vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through Job Last 2007.
    Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.
    REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

Some of the affected vehicles may have had direct exposure to moisture for an extended period that may have caused the pads to “swell” and create a slight drag condition. Low levels of brake drag might not be noticed by a customer, but could lead to premature brake pad wear and excessive brake dust.

SERVICE ACTION
    2005 through 2007 FWD and AWD Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego & FWD Freestyle Vehicles

If an affected vehicle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rear rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

2005 through 2007 AWD Freestyle Vehicles

Due to the configuration of the braking system on AWD Freestyle vehicles the front brake pads must be replaced when rear brake pads are replaced. Therefore, this program will allow replacement of front brake pads, but only if the rear brake pads require replacement during the same visit.
    If an affected AWD Freestyle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the front and rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

NOTE: Brake pad inspection is part of normal maintenance and is not covered as part of this program. If the vehicle is within this extended time and mileage coverage and the owner experiences a brake system symptom or during a normal maintenance inspection (brakes every 15,000 miles or more often, per the Scheduled Maintenance Guide) the vehicle's rear brake pads are found to have less than 3 millimeters (0.118 inch) of lining material, then Ford Motor Company will cover the cost of replacing the rear brake pads.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Mailing will begin July 9, 2007.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
    Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
    Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE

Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) …………….…………………….1-800-325-5621
    The surveys are all based on "Things Gone Wrong". The is no difference made between a customer who says "my transmission failed" and the customer who says "the cup holder is 2 small"

Accordinly, these surveys reflect not only quality, but also how well the vehicle meets the expectations of its customers. To some extent they reflect the dealers who better match their customer with ideal cars.

I think the reason the Mercurys are doing better is that Mercury buyers represent a demographic Ford is better at meeting the expectations of and possibly better dealers and the lack of pick-up sales.

Mark.
  • xegxeg Member Posts: 1
    I had the same symptoms with my 06 Montego. The third time it happened the cart would not start....the solution was replacement of the fuel pump and filter.
  • dirkh2dirkh2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 500 that started losing power on the freeway and the wrench light comes on. Turning off the car and restarting seems to solve the problem. This started happening at 30K miles. I took it to two different Ford dealers and neither said they could find a problem.
    Now I have 44K miles and the problem continues to happen. It is very dangerous to lose power and speed on the freeway then have to pull off to restart the car. Any ideas?
    Also had to do rear brakes @ 15K miles.
    At 44K it appears my power steering is going out as well.
    You say Ford sales are down??
    This happened to my Five Hundred when it was still under warranty. This a fairly common problem. It was the throttle body sensor. The car would slow way down and will not go more than 30mph or so.

It sounds like the same problem.

If you do not have an extended warranty...it's expensive.

Good luck!!
  • tharrountharroun Member Posts: 8
    When I accelerate to pass someone on th highway, the whole car "bucks" like there is bad gas or something. This happens at all speeds, but mostly at speeds over 60 mph.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    More info. would be helpful. What year? Front Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive? What transmission? CVT or six speed? Mileage?
    The mileage is 75,000. The car is a 2005. The transmission is CVT (I think), and it is front wheel drive.

Thanks.
  • coloradobjcoloradobj Member Posts: 7
    Hmmm... if there's another dealer you can check with, I'd do that... I realize this post is several months old so you may have already gotten the "word"... Ford had a recall on the rear brakes... I had replaced mine as well and they reimbursed me for the cost...

Just curious, did you get that fix?
    My car wouldn't start the other morning so I had it towed to the dealer (with 225 miles left on the original warranty... THAT'S a first)... anyway, they said there was a "cold start" update that they implemented and he "sold" me on a number of maintenance items... (I'm religious about keeping up with the maintenance on my vehicles and had many things done at 30,000...) Even though I had the injectors serviced just 3 months ago, he said they needed to be done again... and this is the one that REALLY bothered me... he said the rear differential oil smelled "burned"... mind you I've got just shy of 36,000 on the car... my brother told me that probably wasn't true and I was just "taken"... I looked in the "scheduled maintenance" book and see NOTHING on the rear differential... it does say the injectors should be cleaned/flushed at 30,000 (which I did)... so my question is... "Did I get "taken"...?... or do I have something seriously wrong with my injectors and differential...?" Unfortunately I think it's probably the former...

I am going to call the dealer this morning and "challenge" these "repairs"...
    If your talking about a Five Hundred, it doesn't even have a "rear end". It's front wheel drive.

If you had the injectors cleaned, they don't need it again.

I would RUN AWAY as fast as I could from this dealer.
    I do have the Five Hundred but it is All Wheel Drive... does that make a difference?

Would they have been able to tell the injectors had been cleaned by looking?

Thanks for your reply...
  • confused3confused3 Member Posts: 7
    Can you get refills for the wiper blades or do you have to buy the expensive blade.
    I have not been able to locate refills.

Thanks
    You have to buy the blades. I bought mine at one of those "National Tire and Repair" places and they cost the better part of $40.00 Ouch!!
  • sboyengersboyenger Member Posts: 2
    '06 SEL, 13,000 miles, 6-speed trans. When driving up long hills where trans stays in 3rd gear and about 25 to 30 mph, there is rapid pulsing/vibration from transmission. Similar feeling to pulling a trailer with a truck where small bumps cause slight push/pull feeling in vehicle; except these pulsing/vibrations are rapid back and forth about 6 to 8 times per second. I stoped car a couple times to validate this and verify which gear. Dealer says they do not have a dynomometer or any other way to replicate problem. Any comments?
  • sboyengersboyenger Member Posts: 2
    '06 Limited, 25,000 miles, 6-speed trans. Lots of issues, many similar to others' as well. Here they are with brevity:
    Steering-clunking noise from pwr steering unit when turning wheel after starting car.
    Bearings - Grinding noise in slow turns, e.g. turning in parking garage, sounds like bearings.
    Radio - several times (once witnessed by dealer) radio sounds "tinny" like early 20th century speakers, no bass sound, and unable to adjust with fade or left to right, even though sound eminated from all speakers. Sounded like child speaking from under a pillow. Dealer was stumped and hasn't said what Ford solution is.
    CD - in-dash 6-changer, skips in songs on smooth road; skips last second of each track - did not notice before on music discs since songs fade out, but on audio books the last few words of every track cut off. Dealer says there is a TSB but no solution yet.
    CD - lot of fine dust on all disks after removal and having been in player for several weeks - not typical interior dust, but very fine like fog when breathing on glass; also very high temperature of disc when ejecting after playing.
    Airbag light - light was on a few times in the drivers instrument lights. Nothing in passenger seat. Dealer replace Body Control Module and problem has not recurred.
    Drivers window - same problem as other posts: while driving, when let down (one click) a few inches and stop (one click), then click back up, window continues back down. Tried every combination of single and double clicks for up and down. No problems when vehicle parked. Dealer to replace window motor unit. What mystifies me is problem only when moving.
    Gas cap - plastic retaining ring/strap kept binding on cap and popping off when removing or replacing cap. Dealer replaced with different model cap assy and now ok.
    Rear brakes - same as others. Dealer said on national recall. Dealer replaced rotors and pads. Don't know if parts are any different though.
    Trunk - same as other posts: seems to stick when unlatched, tough to open, especially if hands full. Also, doesn't completely go up in cold weather. Dealer says "that's the way it is" or need to replace lifters. Would stronger lifers work?
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    When I accelerate to pass someone on th highway, the whole car "bucks" like there is bad gas or something. This happens at all speeds, but mostly at speeds over 60 mph.

Could be a fuel pump starting to go bad. Does it happen mainly when you're at a quarter-tank full or less?
  • john223john223 Member Posts: 1
    I heard that a recall (?) or something to that effect was out for rear brakes & rotors on the Montego and Ford 500. Anyone have any info regarding this?
  • andreejandreej Member Posts: 1
    we bought a used 06' 500 limited about 3 weeks ago and the drivers side heated seat has stopped working. The lights on the switch still light up and the passenger side works fine. I checked the fuse (but it appears both sides are on the same fuse so that wouldn't be it anyway). It is out of warranty. I'm fairly handy with a meter and would like to do some troubleshooting myself before I bring it in to a dealer but I have no idea where to start? Has anyone had any problems with theirs? Any idea where I could find a wiring diagram for the car??

thanks!!
  • kringwoodkringwood Member Posts: 8
    Just call your Mercury dealer,just had new rear brakes put in for free fro Ford,theres a bulletin out,I dont have it avail. but its a no brainer. The brakes are made of Organic material from a distributer and are wearing quick so Fords replacing them at no cost to consumer. Just plan to hang aroun,it will take them a couple of hours to change brakes and turn the rotors.
  • kinkyangelkinkyangel Member Posts: 12
    Have an 05 Ford 500 LTD. The first LOF I had the dash compartment lid replaced.
    Had a recall early on for a gas tank strap.
    Then at about 20,000 they replaced the brake pads when in for LOF & tire rotation.

All in all it's been a pleasant experience. Nothing major and nothing that wasn't covered by warranty.
    The dealer told me yesterday that the problem was my transmission and they could not fix it-but they could replace it- for $5,000.

Have other owners had similar problems with the transmission in the five hundred?

Also- is replacing the transmission my only option?

Other ideas??
  • beachgirl11beachgirl11 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Five Hundred w/ 63,000 miles(company vehicle for sales-mostly local territory.) I have noticed this same "bucking" behavior, but only after traveling apx 2-3 hrs at speeds over 60mph(interstate travel.) One dealership told me they found nothing on the diagnostic test so I left & it drove fine for another month of local, low-speed travel. Then on my next long distance trip, the same thing happens after apx 2 1/2 hrs on the road. It "bucks", then loses speed(pressing the gas peddle does nothing),then the steering locks up as it is losing power. The battery & check engine light comes on at the very end. It will re-crank but then the same thing happens. A different Ford dealsership told me it was a clogged fuel filter & replaced that and sent me on my way. Then after driving 3 hrs, the same thing happened. I coasted in to a 3rd Ford dealership & that is where I am now. I was wondering if you ever found out what your problem was?? This car was great until it hit 50K miles, I have sense had a new transmission installed & this has been the next problem.
    Any advice???
    I just got my car back after a week at Aamco. They tested just about everything and determined it was NOT the transmission as the dealer had suggested.

They tested the computer and it was fine. Since they re-installed the computer, they could not replicate the problem(s).

I am hoping it was a connection issue. So far-so good.

Let me know how your issue turns out.
  • beachgirl11beachgirl11 Member Posts: 2
    THey kept my car for 2 days & told me it was the Fuel Pump. I recently ran in to a friend w/ a Mercury & she had the same issue & hers was the fuel pump as well so I am hoping it is repaired for good. It has been fine all day but I have only done local travel. Good luck.
    fyi- at 50K miles I had to have the transmission replaced so I really cant wait to get rid of this car!!!! but it does ride well when all is ok and I love all of the storage.
    The fuel pump might be a good idea except for the bucking when braking. Hopefully, all is good for now.
  • wtkjdwtkjd Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 500 had this problem which was caused by a sticking valve in the transmission which had to be replaced. I had an extended warranty and my Ford dealer covered the deductible to keep me happy. This is a known problem - something to do with the transmission fluid.