Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego Maintenance & Repair

12346»

Comments

• fivehundredfivehundred Member Posts: 12
    FORD is not really doing anything. When last I contacted and they contacted back, they were willing to go 40/60. They will pay 40% of a new hood and my portion was 60%. I don't think that was a good choice so I haven't done anything yet. I am waiting for more people to come forward about the similar problem with their vehicles because I know of (personally) 3 other cars just like mine and so I'm hoping people will complain as I have and maybe Ford will do something. Let me know if you contact them and what they may say or do for you. Thanks,
  • my1972ihmy1972ih Member Posts: 2
    This is a safety issue in addition to being a cosmetic issue. Galvanic corrosion is eating away the aluminum hood metal. Eventually the hood latch bar will tear loose from the hood and the hood will fly up while driving. I believe it is happening to all 500's and Montegos.
  • fivehundredfivehundred Member Posts: 12
    My hood has approximately an inch square where the paint has totally chipped off, directly front and center. However, if you look under your hood you will see there is quite extensive bubbling happening as there is under my hood. I am concerned the whole hood is going to rust a way in a very short time frame!
    Have you contacted Ford?
  • beancounterbeancounter Member Posts: 31
    What kind of engine problems did you have? My 500 had about 160,000 miles on it when I started it up one morning last Jan. I thought the engine was coming apart; loud knocking and running on 5 cylinders. Never heard anything like it. Took 5 to 10 minutes to quiet down. Since then, I'm left with a faint knock when I start it up. Takes about 10 miles to quiet down. It's still there, just not as noticeable. Does not use oil. Oil analysis showed nothing unusual, but they recommended doing a couple more. My mechanic is not sure what happened either. Haven't found anyone with a similar problem. Considered trading it, but can't get anything for it due to severe hail damage on top of the high miles. Will just drive it 2 more yrs or until it stops, whichever comes first.
  • beancounterbeancounter Member Posts: 31
    I've had the same problem for several years. Finally got it figured out. In addition to cleaning the throttle body again, he reset the KAM (Keep Alive Memory). Drives perfect now!
  • mloggiamloggia Member Posts: 6
    I just signed a deal to order the vehicle below. I've been to a few dearlerships and this was by far the best offer. Can someone please comment as to whether this is a good deal?

2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Lease Terms: 39 Months, 7500 miles/yr
    Max Steel with Black interior
    Luxury Group 2 package
    Navigation
    Off Road Adventure 1 Package
    Heated Engine Block

1k out of pocket (inc. all fees, taxes & first month), $409/month
  • tstorey61tstorey61 Member Posts: 1

Have a 2006 Mercury Montego Luxury from brand new. With 77600 miles on the car, have had to replace the rear brakes TWICE. Told the dealer from the get go that there was something wrong with the rear brakes (excessive dusting) but was told everything was fine. The first time was at 15000-18000 miles and was quoted a price. (It was done finally under warranty). Next time was around 65000 miles. Asked the ford dealer(since mercury is gone now) why twice so far. My experience is two replacements for the front pads before the rear are due (due to the braking ratio). The service manager said it might be the way my wife is driving the car???? So I told her no more drifting. So far the report is the front brakes are fine.
    Another problem was the gas gauge was setting off the CEL. Took the dealer 4 times to get that fixed.
    Now, (2/14) the Airbag light is blinking then staying on. The front harness was replaced 3 years ago due to an accident, not sure if that is the cause of the light.

Other problems we have encountered: a porous wheel, bad wiper arms, motor mount. The dealer tried to have me change the power steering fluid twice in about 50,000 miles til i called him on it. Then he tried to pass it off on the technician being a grade D. I told him that is why you have service managers.