Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Lexus RX 400h Owners - Give Us Your Report

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Congratulations on your new RX 400h! This is the place to give us your first impressions!

Comments

• marmadmaxmarmadmax Member Posts: 8
    400h delivered last night as promised - before the end of the month. And in Savannah our first choice but not apparently in everyone's top choices! We were #12 on the list and car number 3 delivered by the dealership.

Any way, I have not driven it yet and will not have much opportunity since it is my wife's car. I did drive the Dealer test model a few days earlier and it is impressive. I will borrow it at every opportunity, that is for sure. If anyone has questions, please feel free to fire away.
  • rx400girlrx400girl Member Posts: 2
    Congratulations Marmadmax! I'm dying because I'm only 12 hours away from picking mine up and I'm not sure if I can sleep tonight!

Hope your wife loves it and look forward to hearing more about her adventures!
  • plee1plee1 Member Posts: 15
    Well, I bought the 400h yesterday. I was surprised to get off the waiting list so soon, but glad for it. It drives as people have said -- very, very quiet at stoplights, great pick-up. I drive 90 miles a day to and from work, so I'm looking forward to the gas mileage over my previous 1994 SUV.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    We picked up our (actually my wife's) RX400h this past Wednesday. We both love the vehicle. Here is my experience with gas mileage so far. I only drove it on 3 occasions in the city to this point. On each occasion, I got the worst mileage during the first 5 minutes of driving. It got progressively better (up to a point of course) in later 5 minute intervals. During the first 5 minutes I could do no better than about 18-23 mpg. However, in later 5 minute intervals the MPG got surprisingly good. In fact, I got as much as 58-60 mpg on a few intervals. The average during what were three 25-30 minute drives had to be at least in the low to mid 30s. I also found out (and this makes sense obviously) that if you "gun" the accelerator the average MPG takes a substantial hit. Now, here is my take on the first 5 minute interval. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I think that the reason for poor gas mileage the first 5 minutes of driving is likely due to the fact that the system is attempting to recharge the battery after not being used for a while. Once the battery reaches a proper level of charge the motors/battery are doing more of the work. Does this make sense. Thus, after my initial experience, I am convinced that the 400h will indeed live up to the EPA city rating and maybe even surpass it if one is a bit careful how he applies the accelerator. I have not done enough highway driving on it yet to come up with any real conclusion, but what little highway driving I have done seems to also suggest that the EPA of 27 is pretty accurate. I would be shocked if this vehicle is not a huge success for Lexus and hold its value very nicely. It was more than worth the wait.
    I did some more testing with the RX400h this afternoon and here is some additional information about gas mileage. If the car is parked for more than a say a half hour, there seems to be a warm-up period after it's started for about 3-5 minutes. During this period, I discovered that the engine is running even when coasting at low speed (25 mph or less) and the current mpg on the screen shows it as less than 20 mpg. However, if it has only been a few minutes since the car was driven, the warm up period seems to be less than one minute. The current MPG then suddenly shoots way up even under some acceleration. On a little trial run to the local grocery store a few minutes ago, I was going about 25-28 mph and the current mpg was at 60 mph the entire 1.5 miles each way. I could not detect the engine running at all. Needless to say, I was very impressed. Now I understand why (from my post #1045) why I was getting the rather poor mpg the first 5 minute intervals the 3 times I tested it & the great mpg thereafter. It all has to do with the engine running no matter how slow you are going the first 1-5 minutes of driving the car after being parked for a while. Incidentally, yes the engine is totally silent for a few seconds as I start backing out of the garage but after a few seconds it kicks on and stays on for that 1-5 minutes depending on how long the car has been parked. I also did some testing on the Interstate this afternoon. With a rather strong cross wind (20-25 mph), I averaged right at about 27 mpg going at between 60 and 70mph. I hope this sheds some light for those that are interested in the gas savings aspect of this fantastic vehicle. I am now quite convinced that one can do even better than the EPA city estimate with the 400h. I would certainly be interested to learn of others experiences in terms of MPG.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    That's pretty impressive and sounds right on target for that speed (even with the crosswind). When I had my '99 RX (even smaller engine than today's), I would average around 20 or so at that constant speed. It think that's mighty impressive. If you were driving a Grand Cherokee with the V8 engine at that speed I bet the average mileage would be around 17 or so. So you CAN have your cake and eat it too with hybrid SUVs!!! Way to go Lexus!!!!
  • kenlex41kenlex41 Member Posts: 18
    I just want to add that my wife and I picked our RX400 up this weekend and quickly put over 300 miles on. It was a trip to my parents house, mostly highway, and we calculated the MPG by hand (didn't trust the computer), and it was 24.5 MPG (same as the trip computer). I just want to add this is what my 6 year old Dodge Stratus V6 was getting before I sold it. I figure if I get the same MPG as my smaller, less powerful, less luxurious Dodge than I am doing pretty good. We love the car! :shades:
  • headlessheadless Member Posts: 50
    Quick question for your kenlex...

What speed were you traveling at on the highway? did you fluctuate speeds (as Lexus recommends), or were you on cruise?

I found that higher speeds kill the mpg...

Headless
  • kenlex41kenlex41 Member Posts: 18
    First, I didn't want to use the cruise, but kept finding myself going 80, so I used the cruise control for about 85% of the trip. Set it around 70 on the interstate (60%) and 60 on the highway (25%). BTW, our salesman didn't mention anything about fluctuating the speed to break in the engine, but I did read many people recommending it on the various forums. I tried it, but it is too easy to go fast in this car.
  • headlessheadless Member Posts: 50
    I definitely am finding that the key to the car is coasting...if you stop and go on 35-45 mph roads, you're gonna get killed...I'm only getting now about 22.5 mpg on these situations...as soon as I get moving and cruising, I hit a red light...then have to accelerate up to speed again...never a chance for the gas motor to rest...mileage crappy...

The more I drive, the more I realize that the hybrid really isn't that great...I'm thinking to myself 'big deal.'...what am I really getting? More power at a few mpg better...all for a lot more money...and, to maximize the benefits, I'm going to have to drive a 'certain' way...sure takes the fun out of driving...glad I kept my BMW as a sports ride!

I'm honestly questioning if the wait was worth it...not so sure...not a convinced or happy Lexus owner up to this point in time...

Headless
    If you bought this car solely for fuel savings you wasted your money. The vehicle is not even marketed that way. What you should have done was taken their demo for an extended test drive to see what type of mileage you could have achieved. I think you ought to cut your losses and try and sell it. I'd suggest the Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. More power, less money and off road capable. The RX is really NOT made for off road.
  • bytebox1bytebox1 Member Posts: 1
    I have now had my 400h for two weeks and have used "B" -- mostly downhill. When I coast I notice that the battery is charging and when using "B" as well. I am averaging 28 mpg in a mix of city/highway driving. One thing to realize is you have to drive differently with a hybrid; it's less driving hard on the throttle than keeping an eye on when you're using the enging versus the electric engines and being conscious of it.

I find the braking a bit odd...it's what charges the batteries, so it's not your normal brake "feel". Bluetooth means I can keep my Motorola V551 in my purse and use the handsfree -- the navigation system is easy to learn (I am a computer idiot so that's saying something).

My salesperson spent two hours showing me every function on the car. I never put my name on a waiting list; went on to edmunds.com, sent emails to dealers, spoke on the phone and three days later got my car fully loaded without any markup, paying MSRP.

I am VERY happy with the mileage and handling of the car...have almost 500 miles on the odo and plan to keep this one a long time. I'd be happy to answer any questions now that I've plodded through my two inch thick owner's manual and all..... :D
  • mirexmirex Member Posts: 68
    On numerous round trips between Seattle and Portland in my 2003 RX300 I average just over 25 mpg during the 60 mph legs and just over 24 mpg during the 70 mph legs. I use cruise control whenever possible and have my A/C on auto.

My combined city/highway average has been 19+ mpg.

I will be getting my RX400h next month and am confident that I will meet the expected mpg.
  • use2sellcarsuse2sellcars Member Posts: 10
    All of you have to remember that the RX400h is designed to get better mileage in the city than on the HWY. If you do a lot of HWY driving, you might as well save your money and buy the 330. If money is no object, then go for the 400. But remember, the whole idea of the hybrid system is to help fuel efficiency in the CITY where the hybrid electric system is used more often in low speed stop and go traffic. The actual mileage on the Hybrid will be about 20% less than what is on the window sticker.

Happy driving
  • love2scubalove2scuba Member Posts: 34
    You are correct that the City is better than the Highway mileage, but I have to totally disagree with your 20% less comment. That maybe true in general for most cars, including hybrids, but I now have 2,300 miles on my 400h and I'm getting right on 27 MPG on the highway, with very little stop and go. The one tank that I had which was probably 50/50 highway and city I was able to get that up to 29.4 MPG. So, I'm getting right on what was typed on the sticker.
  • dylan hixondylan hixon Member Posts: 44
    I was #2 in New york City, a year and a half on the list, but left on a business trip the day my car arrived. Just got it Monday, and I love it.

Yesterday, I took it to Boston and back for a little shakedown cruise. I averaged about 24MPG indicated on the way up at 75-80mph which crept up to 25.3MPG in traffic at the end of the drive (26.5mpg calculated at fillup, but that was my first tank, and the factory may have put in a little fuel in addition to the dealer's full tank). That's fster than the "high speed" train I usually take. Going home, also at 75-80mph, I averaged about 26MPG indicated, creeping up to 27.2MPG at the end of the drive in traffic again. I am very pleased with those numbers, and I expect them to improve more. If I can find an empty road, and enough patience, I will take a drive at 55mph and see what she does. Should beat the EPA number with a stick, since I am basically there already at 75+mph on a new engine.

A few observations:

Cruise control seems important. The cars seems to use the engine more smoothly under cruise. I also carefully observed an interesting algorithm. With the cruise on, the car holds speed pretty accurately, but when you crest a hill and the engine turns off to coast, the cruise allows the car to coast down 5mph before restarting the engine and accelerating back to the set speed. Furthermore, while it is coasting down, it runs the electric motor only (warp stealth) to try to maintain speed as long as possible before restarting the engine. Smart. I had assumed that I could do better than any cruise system by anticipating hills and blending the speed, but this is not just a dumb setpoint only cruise control.

The kW power guage is great, all cars should have them, it tells you something really useful. It also lets you see regenerative braking. During break-in, I am keeping the needle below 50 kW, max 100kW, and it is still pretty quick, I can't wait to punch it. It should peg at 200kW, anyone done this?

In city driving, the battery will run down to two bars, which turn red (sort of magenta). I have not seen this in the limited, but careful Prius driving I have done. Perhaps the battery usage map is more aggressive?

The drivetrain power and braking takes a little getting used to. But I feel comfortable with it already.

All the regular Lexus stuff is great, auto headlights, auto wipers, really good navigation system, comfortable and quiet.
    Thank you for your comprehensive review Dylan. My wife and I are likewise very pleased with the 400h. You seem to be an expert on the electrical system of this vehicle. This is something I do not really understand. How is the kW gauge useful? Does it actually help you in any way to more properly drive this vehicle and take advantage of its energy savings? Thanks in advance for any insight.
  • sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    Excellent review. I agree with your assesment and I would also buy it over the 330. I wish it came with the laser cruise control though. It's amazing that you have a comfortable nice heavy vehicle that glides down the highway and gets the SAME mileage as a Ford Focus at the same speed. Amazing!!! Go hybrid!!!!
    I'm definitely with you on the laser cruise control. I have that option on my LS430 and I absolutely love it. Long trips on the Interstate are much less tiring with this option. Interestingly enough, the RX400h Owner's Manual discusses the laser cruise as if it's an available option. They obviously must have changed their mind the "last minute" and not make it available. It's too bad but we still think this vehicle is awesome.
  • dylan hixondylan hixon Member Posts: 44
    The kW meter, as I understand it, displays the net hybrid system power being sent to (or taken from) the wheels. Engine power to the wheels plus electrical power to the wheels minus engine power to the battery. When you are in regenerative braking, or coasting, the gauge will register negative power as the net energy flows back into the batteries.

I assume, and hope, that the extreme of the negative end of the scale is the maximum regenerative braking possible under ideal conditions so I use the gauge to stay in regenerative braking, middle of the dark blue to be safe. Early gentle braking is the rule, and this gives you a measure to train yourself. You can also hear the regenerative braking (a combination of gear whine and electrical hum that sounds like the Mellenium Falcon).

On the power side, it is like combining a tachometer, a throttle position sensor, and an engine power map to let you know at any time the power actually being sent to the wheels. This can help you to know when you are using high power levels, although that tends to be obvious from the acceleration, but it will also tell you how much power you have left at any condition. I am using it for the break in period to limit power, so I don't know yet what it tells me about high power conditions . I am sure that I will find other uses.

1kW=1.34hp so the 100kW on the gauge is 134hp, and 200 kW is 268hp, the max power rating of the car (engine is rated at 208hp, electric makes up the rest). When the engine is under computer control and augmented by batteries, they can arbitrarily limit the power output to 200kW.
  • hybrathybrat Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for pointing that out dylan! Yet another reason why I am looking forward to this car. However, they should have at least included the horsepower metering with kW. Since horsepower is an overwhelmingly more familiar unit of measure with the public, I wonder why they went with kW? Oh well, I'll just have to memorize the conversion factor I guess.

It would seem to me that another benefit of being able to monitor the output of your engine is that if it is unable to reach its peak rated output, it is an indication of potential mechanical problems. This could come in very handy as a quick test of the health of the powertrain when buying a used one, for example if it can only muster 175 kW when matted rather than 200 kW.

Out of curiosity, are Lexus' claims of 200 kW maximum output accurate for those who own one? Is the meter accurate?
  • exfrogexfrog Member Posts: 6
    We waited 14 months for our 400h and love it. The ride is so quiet. Were averaging a little over 26 mph combined city and freeway. In one of life's ironic twists, we accepted a job offer in New Zealand right after we picked up the Lexus.They drive on the other side over there so we can't take it with us. If your interested in buying it let me know. It's sparkling white with everything except the dvd. We live in So. Oregon. If not it will be on Ebay in a couple of weeks. Thanks, Lou
    You can ship it there and still use it. It doesn't matter if it is LHD. I see RHD cars on the road here all the time. If there is a law against it, that's another story.
  • louiein99louiein99 Member Posts: 33
    What kind of price are you trying to get on your 400h? Also, does it have heated seats and Mark Levinson?
    The only way you can bring a rhd to New Zealand is if is classified as a classic which the 400h is not. The only other option is to change the wheel to the other side which costs over $10,000.
    It does have both Mark Levinson and heated seats. If I put it on Ebay I will let the law of supply and demand determine the price. I can tell you the reserve will be reasonable .
  • hyybrdhyybrd Member Posts: 2
    I have enjoyed the comments on this forum. I have had my car for about one month and love the 400h

The phone: My RZR and my wife's V551 sync perfectly with the car. You can only input a number with the car stopped. Hit the info button and the keypad will appear. You may also for some odd reason access the keypad with the dest. key if you go to PAGE 2.

I am getting about 24 mph on short city drives.. This is my wife's car and it has not been on the road yet. We have 750 miles.

I like the fact the car is not that different than the 330 but have ordered custom plate hyybrd (all the other Virginia choices are taken).

I paid just under $50,000 at Flow Lexus in Greensboro, NC and have heated seats, wheel locks, cargo net and no dvd.

I do love the GPS and the rear TV as visibility is limited in the rear view.

I like the build quality (I drive a new E 320) and think it is as good or better than my Mercedes.

I am a little sorry the in town MPG is not higher on short trips and think the car should have come with mp3 player.

Look forward to more comments from other owners
  • rocky7rocky7 Member Posts: 13
    Were up to 28 mph city driving. Approximately 1000 miles driven. Haven't had out much on hwy yet. Borrowed friends RX330. He says he is getting around 17 - 18 city on it.
  • kibblekibble Member Posts: 4
    I walked into a Los Angeles Lexus dealership on Saturday morning, picked my favorite from several in stock and drove off the lot. Paid sticker plus $1,500 for rims I didn't really want. Ara took very good care of me throughout the process and I'm very happy with our new Rx. First tank averaged 23.5 mpg...
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the Forum. You were not on a wait list or did not have a deposit on an RX400h? Sounds like they are getting a better supply than our local dealer in San Diego. They don't have any and will not put you on a list till you sign a PO with a $1000 deposit. I also thought the first 12,000 were already SOLD. hmmmm
  • skyfish400hskyfish400h Member Posts: 27
    Are they the OEM rim (that have been chromed) or are they RX330 rims (that have been chromed)?

It is NOT safe to put the Rx330 rims (chromed or not) onto the RX400h because of the higher loads the 400h will place on them. The 400h is heavier and delivers A LOT more toruqe.

The difference is that the 330 rims are smooth on the outside of the spokes, while the 400 are dimpled or recessed in appearance.

There is a letter from Corporate somewhere on this site that spells out the the dealerships that they are NOT to substitute the rims.
    Truth is I was not aware of the RX until I saw one on the same lot two weeks earlier, thought about it a week, went back to see if we liked it and would have bought that day if they had the color combo we wanted. I checked in the next Saturday morning and several more had arrived including a color combo we liked so we went down and got it. Maybe this dealership decided not to take advance orders...
    "Are they the OEM rim (that have been chromed) or are they RX330 rims (that have been chromed)?

It is NOT safe to put the Rx330 rims (chromed or not) onto the RX400h because of the higher loads the 400h will place on them. The 400h is heavier and delivers A LOT more toruqe.

The difference is that the 330 rims are smooth on the outside of the spokes, while the 400 are dimpled or recessed in appearance.

There is a letter from Corporate somewhere on this site that spells out the the dealerships that they are NOT to substitute the rims."

I'll check them out, thanks for the heads up!
  • _hacksaw_hacksaw Member Posts: 2
    In December, my wife and I bought a new Acura RL. Incredible car. I picked up our new 400h on Monday, and so far I just love it. With respect to the toys and gadgets, it doesn't hold a candle to the RL, but the hybrid system makes up for all of that. I live in a collar suburb of Chicago, and spend much of my commute on the Kennedy expressway in very slow, often stop-n-go traffic. The commute in this morning put my odometer over 100 miles, and I'm doing 24.5 on average so far. And, oh my god, the fuel gauge has barely moved! I bought the car from McGrath, and have nothing but excellent things to say about them. I do have to say that a number of things really bother me about the car though -- no satellite radio, no voice dial with the Bluetooth system, lockout of the navi system (and telephone number pad dial) while moving, no ability to use the Bluetooth phonebook unless you upload numbers from a phone, unavailable Smart Access system (keyless ignition), and smaller things like no "range" display showing estimated fuel miles remaining in the tank, no tire pressure display and, wow, does the AM radio reception suck (upgraded audio with rear entertainment system). If I didn't own the RL, these things probably wouldn't bother me. Overall, I'm thrilled with my purchase, but the vehicle could definately be improved.
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    Hi.. all the things you mentioned are nitpiks with the Prius too. There are numerous remedies available to Prius drivers. There is the NAV defeat fix which was my biggest complaint. Give it time, there will be solutions in the aftermarket.
  • cabluecablue Member Posts: 48
    Just to let you know, Lexus can install XM radio in your 400h. Two dealers told me that they can do this in any of their cars, including the 400h.
    As far as sunroofs go, I wouldn't buy a car without one. I love the light it brings into the car and mine is almost always at least popped up. Whenever I park, living in California where it's hot in the summer, I always leave it popped open to keep it from getting too hot inside. Early mornings or evenings it's wonderful. My husband, though, won't get one in his cars because he is tall and they do impinge on headroom. But he does appreciate it in my car. I open mine all the way often, except when it's cooking hot out or on the freeway. Occasionally we'll even do that with all the windows down, too. The kids love that.
  • minivanmama1minivanmama1 Member Posts: 28
    Are you interested in selling this vehicle?
  • sheltshelt Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my new Flint 400h Monday afternoon. I have a 24 mile commute on a four-lane parkway here in CT. In the morning, it's a clear shot. The afternoons are about 50% rush hour stop-and-go. So far, I've been cautious on acceleration, etc, but have cruised at 65-70mph when the road is clear.

My results on a 212 mile interval, which included about 20 miles around town, were 28.9 mpg! I was very surprised with the relatively high figures after seeing so many 23-24 numbers. A few things I've noticed -- 1) laying your foot into it from a standing start costs a lot more than I would have guessed (ie - many miles to nurse the mpg's back!), 2) the passing acceleration is great!, and 3) running the A/C hard at highway speed seems to cost about 1-2 mpg.

If I had to guess, I think my mileage would drop to ~24-25mpg if I start using the car's power and drive like I would in my other cars. Overall, I'm really happy so far. The only thing I've found a bit odd is that the electric-assist steering is a little heavy at highway speed, even compared to German cars. And....there's no excuse for not having the ability to either play mp3 cd's or connect an iPod. Other than that, perfect score so far...
  • hybrathybrat Member Posts: 13
    Your vehicle is not designed to be driven off-road.

SUVs -- you've come a long way baby!
  • lexus400hlexus400h Member Posts: 4
    You folks are great. I've been monitoring your forum for about three weeks to glean whatever insight I could to help formulate my decision take the 400h plunge. I'm happy to report I traded in my '02 Mercedes-Benz E-class last week and took a 400h home to meet the family. I must admit I was a little concerned I might miss certain aspects of the Mercedes, but so far this has been a home run and I would make the same decision again. This is my first Lexus and I'm very pleased with the overall quality built into this automobile. The fact that it's a hybrid is icing on the cake with a cherry on top. I've looked at SUV-type vehicles before because I like the interior flexibility to create more cargo room as needed, and sitting a little higher off the road, but the mpg ratings were always a huge turn off. To get the vehicle I've wanted and help save the environment at the same time... like I said before, home run.

I do have a question for you. I have about 200 miles on my car so far and averaging 24 mpg with mixed driving, mostly city. Is there a break in period after which I might see an mpg improvement? 24 mpg is certainly respectable for this type of vehicle, but I expected something closer to 26+ mpg.
    Thanks again!
    Welcome to the forum. A couple questions. How long were you on a wait list for the RX400h? What part of the country do you live in?
    Welcome aboard! Some people do strongly believe that after about 1500-2000 miles, the 400h will get better gas mileage. I am not sure if that is the case or not. I can tell you this much however. If you follow common sense rules of driving (coasting as much as possible to a stop, not gunning the accelerator, etc.), you will get terrific gas mileage in the city. You can even do better than the EPA estimate of 31 mpg. On one test drive of 27.5 miles in the city a few weeks ago I averaged exactly 40 mpg in pure city driving by following the speed limits and without the AC on. The environment is a big factor (especially on the highway) in determining what kind of gas mileage you will get. For example, wind speed and direction is a huge factor. AC or no AC, number of passangers and extra weight, type of terrain are a few others.
  • rx400_ownerrx400_owner Member Posts: 59
    I recently found this page which shows the speed vs time profiles that the EPA uses for the "city" and "highway" driving tests.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

I was rather surprised by some aspects of the profiles especially the "highway" profile. I have always equated "highway" with "freeway." I had read that the EPA highway test was for a speed of 60 MPH wihch seemed reasonable given most freeways being somewhere between 55 and 65 MPH speed limit now. It turns out that the actual profile is more for something like what I would drive on a non-freeway country highway. It just touches a 60 MPH peak speed a couple of times and the average speed is surprisingly low: 48 MPH - much slower than one will usually be going on an uncongested freeway.

The city profile is less surprising, but it doesn't represent the driving I'm usually doing when not on a highway/freeway. It looks like pretty urban city driving rather than the typical California more suburban city driving. For some reason they have two pulses of high speed (56 MPH) - the first one I think is just to get the engine warmed up because it is a fairly short test, not sure why the second one is there. Then most of the test goes between stopped and 25-35 MPH. 40 -45 MPH would be more typical for the main surface streets around where I live. With 23 stops (about one every half mile), the average speed is 20 MPH.

The tests don't seem to represent typical driving. My freeway driving is typically much faster than the "highway" test. Non-freeway driving around here is generally somewhere between the city and highway tests - stops a bit less frequent than the city test and average speeds considerably higher.

Given the way the tests are done, it isn't surpising when our actual fuel mileage is different from the EPA numbers. Actually, when I look at the EPA test profiles it surprising to me that I get as close to the EPA numbers as I do. Freeway (~65 mph) I'm generally seeing around 27 MPG (or 26 when the AC is having to blast). Suburban surface streets, MPG varies more than on the freeway. Depending on AC load, traffic, speed, lights and hills plus how aggressively I'm driving, I see anything between 24 and 32 MPG. When conditions are just right, I've even seen high 30's. I've been getting 26 to 27 MPG over a tank which has included a fair amount of AC.
  • rx400_ownerrx400_owner Member Posts: 59
    Did you reset the mileage meter when you got the car? When we got ours, it had a pretty low mileage on the meter left over from whatever the mechanic did when preping the car. That can easily pull down the mileage for 200 miles by a couple of MPG.

Other factors:
    short trips. There is a mileage penalty for running with a cold engine in all cars, but the mileage meter makes it obvious. When I do a lot of short (<10 minutes of driving) errands, mileage gets pulled down - 24 MPG wouldn't be unusual.

AC. In my driving seems to cost between 1 and 2 MPG when it has to run hard. In heavy traffic it could cost even more (not going many miles but the AC still runs).
    I live in central NJ and I'm not aware of any dealership around here with a waiting list. I think there may have been some people waiting when the models first started to arrive, but I think those needs have all been met. I walked into my dealer on Monday afternoon and drove a 400h off the lot Wednesday evening. When I picked my car up there were five other 400h models available. Each weekend I see full page ads in the NY Times for other Lexus dealerships, most within 50 mile radius, that have 400h models available too, some with as many as 12 or more in their inventory. I can't speak for other parts of the country, but here in NJ the air waves and newspapers are full of special financing and leasing deals from the "other" car makers in an effort to clear the lots before their 2006 models start rolling in. With all that competition, selling a new model like the 400h, that for the most part you can't custom order, with an MSRP of $4989 can't be easy. All the 400h models I looked at had the typical options (Nav, sunroof, etc) plus heated seats, some even had the better radio. In my particular case, I was able to get my dealer to come up $1,000 on his original trade-in offer and drop $2,000 off MSRP for my 400h. If anyone out there wants a 400h now, consider coming to NJ! :)
    Thank you, I hear the NJ shore is beautiful this time of year. Can you give the dealership name. No salesmen allowed. Maybe someone on here will get the deal they are looking for.
  • rocky7rocky7 Member Posts: 13
    What dealers in Central NJ were you talking about. I just visited my daughter in Central NJ and I went out with her to look for a 400h.
    Of the two dealers we visited none had any 400h available for immediate delivery but felt depending on color choice we could have a car sometime in the next one to six weeks. None would discuss discounting, but one suggested as soon as they had more than a 30 day supply in stock, which could happen soon, we could expect limited discounting.

Again I would appreciate names of which dealers you visited. If you have name of salesperson who has stock and is discounting that would be even better.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Just a reminder that you can post the name of the dealer, city and state but not names of individual salespeople.
  • sheltshelt Member Posts: 4
    After driving about 600 miles in my new 400h (27.5 mpg), I've decided there actually is a bit of a steering issue with the 400h. At first, I thought my alignment was off due to extreme pulling to the left on my main commute road. The road is crowned heavily, with drainage to the left. I have to hold the wheel fairly firmly to keep it going straight. Now, switching to the other lane, which drains right, I get a fairly strong pull to the right. I've driven this road for years, and have never noticed this problem with my 540i, Audi Allroad, or Explorer. The Explorer drives like a heavy truck, but doesn't pull like the 400h on the same road.

I then went out and drove on a number of flat local roads, and I'm convinced the alignment is OK. In a parking lot,for example, I can release the wheel and the car will go dead straight without any noticeable pull.

My conclusion is that the 400h steering system is "different". It feels like the electric boost or "centering power" is unsufficient at highway speed, or stated another way, that the front end is overly-sensitive to camber in the road. I noticed that letting go of the wheel on a slightly pitched road, even at very low speed, results in a fairly rapid turn -- more so than any of my other cars.

The effect does feel like misalignment to me, but it occurs in both directions depending on road camber.

In the end, I've decided it's a bit annoying, but certainly not a driveability or safety issue. I just feel like I notice small differences in road camber much more. When driving on windy roads, I notice nothing at all. On cambered straight roads, I feel the effect almost constantly...
    I purchased my car from Difeo Lexus in Bridgewater, NJ. They had a smaller inventory or 400h models, but were willing to deal. Another dealer is Ray Catena Lexus of Monmouth in Oakhurst, NJ. They're the ones that advertise weekly in the NY Times and claim to have a large inventory. The saleman there wasn't willing to discuss dropping MSRP.