Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• d5ad5a Member Posts: 63
    Been looking for the past two months at getting a larger car. Keep coming back to the Mazda brand. Have a dealer offering me a new 2006 MPV LX-SV with a MSRP of 23,710 out the door for 17,500. The MPV has a few options like rear air, Cargo net and roof rack and floor mates but i would have to add privacy tint to the rear glass. Also have another Mazda Dealer offering me a 2007 Mazda 5 touring with a sticker of 20,695 on the road for 20,880. The 5 has a sunroof and automatic air, rear bumper guard and floor mates also. I cant decided which car will be the best one over the long haul. Should I save the money and go with the MPV and hope its a good van, but fear taking a loss on the resale value due to it being an older model, or should I pay more and get a newer style Mazda 5. Each car has its pros and cons just trying to figure out which one will be best for the next 5 or so years. I'm worry the MPV may not be as reliable due to having a ford engine but not sure if the 5 is any better with it being a new model. Any words of wisdom would greatly be apprecaited. Also please tell me your thought on the prices I have been offered. Thanks everyone for your help!
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    You should know that the MPV has been discontinued as of 2007. So the MPV would be an orphan vehicle, which may or may not be important to you. Plus the MPV has a Ford engine (may not be the same raspy one we test drove a couple of years ago.

We bought a 5 ourselves.
  • d5ad5a Member Posts: 63
    :confuse: Thanks for you response. I'm worried about it being the last year for the MPV. Will resale be horrible? Also very worried about the ford engine. We need a reliable car it will be our only one. Dealer offering the MPV for $17,500 on the road which is a great price for our budget and a Mazda 5 for $20,880 on the road which is also a good price. Looking at car payment the MPV wins but want to make sure it fits our needs and is worth it in the first place. Also found a new 06 Toyota Sennia for $22,000 plus taxes and tags but it has nothing on it but know the resales value down the road will be much better. Cant figure out what is best. Save money up front or be strapped each month to have some money in the end.
  • mclaretsmclarets Member Posts: 1
    I've owned our 2006 Mazda5 GT for a few months and it was a great buy. It's fun to drive, has great space flexibility for 2 young kids, and is nice and quiet. I highly recommend the car, but
    I have a few issues that I'm not sure others are experiencing. Any help would be great:
    1 - the rain sensor adjustment doesn't seem to do much. I usually keep it cranked at supposedly the most responsive setting, but it still doesn't wipe often enough. Cleaning the windshield over the sensor frequently helps a little. I drove an Opel last summer and the rain sensor adjustment had a much wider range.
    2 - can't lock the doors using the key fob unless I close the door first. Also, can I disable the "feature" that locks my doors if I don't sprint to my car (with baby in arms) and open the door after I unlock it?
    3 - how the heck do I remove my roof antenna now that it's broken off (actually, the FM reception in the city is still fine, so I'm kinda glad it is gone as it was a very dorky placement anyways).

Cheers, y'all!
  • erielleerielle Member Posts: 9
    I bought my Mazda5 GT..it's nice and I think it's a great buy although the gap between the body and both backlights are not even when you compare the left from right.I'm also concern with the engine temperature gauge it's always on half (is it normal?).Rain sensor is also frustrating it does'nt seem to do too much.
  • hmiwbhmiwb Member Posts: 7
    I'm very pleased with my Mazda5 Sport. I now have 25,000 miles on it as I have a fairly long commute every day. I have had no problems at all to this point and don't expect any. I have the automatic transmission, 6 disk changer and sunroof. I average about 27 mpg in mostly highway driving. Love the maneuverability, comfort, and smooth-free revving engine. I keep hearing magazind reviews complaining about lack of "reserve" power in the 5, but I've never noticed a lack of necessary power under any circumstances. If anything it is very quick in the stoplight grand prix and plenty adequate on the highway. I do have some weird rear tire wear but that is probably my fault for not rotating them. Great car for space and utility, very flexible load carrying options. :)
    Bill
    Missouri
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    The engine temperature gauge should pretty much always be on half once the car's warmed up...that means the engine's at its normal operating temperature. On warm days, it might get up to that "half" position pretty quickly after you start the car, but on cold days it should stay on "Cold" for a while and then rise up to the halfway position. If your gauge is always on half even when you first start the car on cold days, it may be broken.
    I bought my mazda5 last week and it only has 300 miles on it..so I don't think the guage is broken.However, it stays on cold for a while and then rise up to the halfway position.It was only a surprised for me that it's on half position because my previous cars were not...most if not all of my previous cars temperature gauge were on a quarter position.Anyways,thanks for the reply!
  • da1nonlyda1nonly Member Posts: 4
    so far soooooo good... picked up my M5 sport about a week ago... very happy with the purchase... i like the fact that it has all the comforts of a van (for my fam of 3 kids and 2 adults) without the big van look or feel(almost like a beefy hatchback)...

here are the specs:
    M5 brilliant black sport model, auto, air, tints, door guards, wheel locks, and lifetime rust proofing

want to make it a little more agressive looking by adding aftermarket fogs, front lip, maybe eyelids...

if there are any fellow canucks in the toronto area that know where i can get these mods done please please please let me know ...

thanks...
  • sheedosheedo Member Posts: 1
    I too recently purchased an 06 Sport. I opted for the 5speed tranny. I have the 6 disc changer and rear spoiler, but no sunroof or auto temperature. I have had the car for a week and 2 days and I think this was one of the best purchases I ever made. I have always found minivans interesting: Liked the space and flexible seating but never wanted one for a daily driver. I sat in the 5 at a autoshow on Saturday and purchased the following Monday. It's an 06 demo that had 4,000 miles so I was able to get a great deal on it. Power is adequate but you can't beat the seating. I have two 11 year old children and they think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. :)
  • ghrantghrant Member Posts: 7
    My wife's 2006 Mazda5 GT has been driving me nuts lately. We've racked up about 25,000kms so far. Quite a while back we noticed that there were these dull "thuds" (for lack of a better term) coming from the general front end area as we drove at moderate speeds over generic urban roads. These noises are now very pronounced, constant and utterly distracting. Three times the dealer has looked at it, lubricated things, and it has done nothing to improve it.
    The service department seems to get this glazed over look in their eyes when I describe the problem - it is very frustrating.
    I took the time to drive in another Mazda5 and notice nothing like these noise.
    I am about to escalate this problem up the Mazda Canada flagpole.
    Any comments, feedback or futher questions by other owners would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

(PS Other than iffy shifts from the automatic it has been a good car)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Has the dealer not offered to replace the control arms? It seems more common that they squeak but a thud is either that or a strut mount.

Are you able to try another dealer?
    I'm stuck dealing with this dealer for now. That is why I"m posting this to get some ideas and feedback as to what the cause could be so I can put the pressure on the service department. (Simply put, if this is not fixed I will not be buying out the lease at the end - it is that disconcerting.)

I believe they replaced the bushings on the control arms, but I don't really have a way to prove this.
    I believe they replaced the bushings on the control arms, but I don't really have a way to prove this.

It would show on the invoice, warranty or not.
  • zbxzbx Member Posts: 30
    How come when I open my Mazda5 GT with the key, the alarm goes off? Should I be seeing the dealer about this, or simply always use my key fob to open the door?
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    If the alarm automatically arms when you lock the car you will need to use the fob. Check your owners manual for instructions on how to change the settings if possible.
  • mazicmazic Member Posts: 3
    ghrant,
    I too have noticed these noises ( I descrbe as rubbing or squeeking sound) It happens when the car is driving in below freezing temperature and a slight bump is encountered. Everytime this happens I think I'm driving a car that's falling apart!

I'm taking this to the dealer soon
    I think My M5 2007 consumes a lot of gas 18 mpg (city driving)..I need an opinion here ,because before we took the car from the dealer my wife had this huge wordwar with one of the sales manager..so I'm a bit suspicious that they did something with the car..I know it's a crazy idea but 18 mpg! I don't know is it supposed to be 22 mpg?
    I think I've also heard those other noises you speak of but I doesn't get very cold out where I am. My problem is a definite "thuds" and the sensation the suspension might just fall out from under the car - you can mistake it.
    Have you checked your tire pressure? If it's within range, try increasing by a couple pounds to see if it helps.
    I'll try..I hope it works...thanks!
  • davidfehrdavidfehr Member Posts: 6
    Having owned a Mazda 5 for nearly a year I regret my purchase decision. For the following reasons:

The car was at the dealer for a month to repair a passenger compartment water leak that soaked the front passenger carpet and caused a terrarium effect in the car in humid weather.

The switchblade key fob does not work. It has been reprorgrammed three times and still does not operate correctly. I also am 6'6" and it makes a huge difference in leg room esp at the knee.

The Toyo tires rated at something like 140mph are terrible. In NE PA when it is wet and around freezing they do not grip at all. The tires were replaced with all weather Goodyears and the problem no longer exists. At the time of repalcement, 7,200 miles, half the tread was gone on the Toyo front tires.

When it is cold on start up the suspension moans, groans and bottoms out for the first hour of driving time. Brakes squeal as well. Clutch in/out is not smooth and becomes rouhg when cold.

My air conditioner was insufficent in hot weather with five people in the car on a trip in hot humid weather. In late summer I had the windows heavily tinted and this seemed to help the problem.

Interior materials are cheap and scratch easily. The car is used for my wife and kids and is subject to harder wear than I would give it my self.

All though small, the standard shift knob has a shift pattern indicator on the top of the knob that spins around mysteriously on its own. Not that I use it, but it reminds me of the lack of quality control that apparently went into this car.

Bought the factory rubber mats which lasted about 2,500 miles before they wore through where my heel rests.

Great car to drive on trips, good gas mileage, great styling especially with tinted windows etc. But a disappointment overall.

Called Mazda about all of this and the dealer as well and according to them I am the only one to complain about these issues.
    Thanks for pointing me in right direction. I figured out that if I arm the alarm with the fob or electric door lock switch, I have to open the door with the fob.

Only if I arm the alarm by manually locking the car door with the key can I open the car door with the key without triggering the alarm.

So if I don't want to trigger the alarm; lock with fob, must open with fob. Lock with key, only then can open with key (or fob)
    I have a 2007 Mazda5 GT. It's confusing that a security indicator light flashes to indicate the immobilizer system is armed, yet there is no similar flashing indicator to indicate the alarm system is armed.
    The only way I know the alarm is armed is when the hazard lights flash once when I turn it on. But otherwise the flashing light that usually indicates the alarm is turned on is actually indicating the immobizer system is turn on
    Oh well, I guess thieves will see the flashing light and know that something is armed.
    I checked the tire pressure..eveything was fine..pressures were right..
    Are you in a large metro area or anywhere in California? Here in CA we get reformulated gasoline which our state claims reduces MPG by 3% but helps to keep us breathing. I noticed much larger differences on a drive up the west coast into OR and WA where I averaged a nearly 20% difference.

Also, if you tend to drive 80mph on the freeway/highway, as is the norm around here, MPG suffers greatly.
    Renton Washington..but it's not that bad (gas consumption).I can deal with it..again thanks!
  • trishr1trishr1 Member Posts: 75
    "When it is cold on start up the suspension moans, groans and bottoms out for the first hour of driving time."
    You may want to check out the cold weather section on the forum. This a known problem with a TSB 02-007/06. Many, many, many people have the problem especially those of us in the colder regions (US and Canada). I am on four other forums and I could print off over 100 pages of emails from people with this problem. :mad:
  • trishr1trishr1 Member Posts: 75
    http://forum.mpvclub.com
    If you go to MPVclub, scroll down to the Mazda5 section, from there go to Mazda5/Premacy Problems, then click on Suspension Squeaking over bumps. The forum starts with problem dating back to 2005 and there are a lot of them. North American Operations are aware and working on fixing the problem in the USA, Mazda Canada is aware and is also working on the problem.
    You are not alone. ;)
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    I love the car. I have had it since mid 2005.
    Issues
    1. suspension creaks when weather is very cold does not affect tightness (i live with it) - see recall for mazda3 with the same issue.
    2. i have only ever had the (sliding door)latches freeze 2 times and both were after i washed it. - if you put some grease on the locks that seems to resolve the issue.
    3. When slowing down to a red light and then the light goes green before stopping there is a bit of a hesitation.
    4. If you are tall the seat does not go back very far.
    5. no arm rest for passenger seat - else the cubby could not be opened.
    6. the toyo tires that come with the car are crap - you need winter tires.
    those are the main issues as i see it

Pros
    1. very fun to drive.
    2. love the 'hidden' storage under 2nd row seats
    3. Love huge glove box
    4. I can fit my bicycle in the back with tons of space.
    5. zippy engine.
    6. sliding back doors no bumping other cars
    7. Head rest in all seats
    8. auto heat great in winter as the car heats up the fan speed increases
    9. Love higher seating - can just see over most cars
    10.support on side of seats.
    11.love the auto wipers and lights.
    12.this car has received great safety in crash tests
    13.There is only one door external lock-limits entry for thieves.
    14.Integrated security sensor so even if someone gets in the car with a copy of the key it makes it much harder to start it without computer chip in key)

As with most Mazda owners they love the car the only thing that holds the Company back is the crap dealerships.
    11) don't you find the auto wipers don't start soon enough
    after it starts raining, even if set to max sensitivity?
    12)What have you heard about safety in crash tests for those in 3rd row if there is rear ender?
    13)Someone else in "Changes I'd like to see" forum also said one door external lock limits entry for thieves. My thought is that if the single lock jams, how do you get in?
    14) what's the diff between what you said and normal function of immobilizer?
  • andrewtmandrewtm Member Posts: 1
    This is interesting as the same mazda with different engine options (gas and two diesel) is offered in Europe and when you go to Mazda's European website (go through www.mazda.com) they tell you that you can tow 600 KG (unbreaked trailer) and 1400 kg - 3090 lb (trailer with breakes) so yes, 5 was designed for towing. They do not want you to do it here since it is much cheapper in North America than in Europe and I guess they do not want you to come back for warranty repairs too frequently. Also, last year 5 was competting with MPV. If they told you that you can tow with 5 than who would buy MPV which was approx $7000 more than 5 (at least in Canada). Incidentally, in Europe towing specs for 5 and Mazda 3 are the same. Also, in Europe you get 5 with minivan roof rails instead of rails available here. The only consolation is that rails available here are made by Thule. Y
    I was driving my 2 months old 2007 M5 today, it has 1300 miles on it.I was sitting on the traffic, so I switched the gear into neutral (I have the 4At GT).The light turned red so I switched to drive right away and accelerated...but to my surprised the engine went dead!! Is there anyone out there who have an explanation for this!!
    Yes, you stalled it much like popping a clutch. Automatics are not designed for neutral drops. A little more gas and you could have caused damage.
    Hi

Can you explain what "neutral drop" means?

And if the automatic is in neutral, regardless of whether or not the car had stalled, aside from flooding how could " A little more gas and you could have caused damage."?

Thanks, just trying to learn by reading these forums.
    A neutral drop is when you shift to drive with with the accelerator depressed.

Causing damage: the car is meant to be put into drive while it is idling...

I started to write a whole big thing about the torque converter and the input shaft spinning, gears engaged by hydraulics, etc. but realized that it may be a bit much based on the question.
    Thanks a lot for your reply...I only thought that I could use the neutral since I'm sitting on the traffic..besides why do they have to put a neutral on a automatic transmission if it's going to cause troubles anyway.Right now I don't have any problem with my car after it stalled..so do you think I still have to see the dealership and tell them what happened and have it check?
    No, you likely didn't do anything to it.

In the future, you need to give the transmission a couple seconds to actually shift into gear prior to depressing the acellerator pedal.
    Ah, I see. To us non-techies it's the unpleasant "clunk" you feel/hear when you shift suddently from neutral to drive with the gas pedal depressed
    That's what I have in mind ,that I didn't do anything to it..Anyways,thanks to you!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
  • justabitmorejustabitmore Member Posts: 2
    After reading all the information on this vehicle, it almost feels as if I may have made one huge $25,000 mistake. Please tell me I am not going to regret this.
    Welcome to the nature of web forums. the bad always outweighs the good. My Mazda5 was one of the best cars I've leased and by far the most versatile.
  • daharondaharon Member Posts: 24
    OK, you're not going to regret this! Sure, various folks have had some problems (as is true for any car), but for the most part, the M5 is a solid, versatile and fun car. Sure beats my Corolla. I'm having a great time with mine. The flexibility of the rear area is nice. Engine noise is low. Handling and suspension are quite comfortable. Don't fret!
    :)
  • castg1castg1 Member Posts: 34
    When I got the M5, I began to wonder why would anyone buy a minivan? For the extra middle seat in the middle row?
    For the larger cargo at the back? Because those are the reasons I can think of why I would go for a minivan. Otherwise the M5 serves my family of 3 children and 1 wife.
    not to mention the automatic wiper / headlights and the sliding door that slides smoothly and locks by itself.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    The car could even hold you, 3 kids, and 2 wifes! Not sure if You can handle this. ;)
  • birdsondabatbirdsondabat Member Posts: 2
    We're expecting a baby in november, and have 2 dogs (boxer and lab0 that will likely be making the xmas trip of 6 hours to ohio. We haven't test driven the 5 yet, but I like the reviews, expecially when it's mileage is compared to the odyssey and the sienna, in your folk's opinion, is this a decent vehicle for a famiy with a baby that's going to travel a bit?
  • jeffpurdjeffpurd Member Posts: 11
    I'd recommend it - I'm in a similar situation and saved a ton of money up front and ongoing in gas savings. Besides that, my rationale was that the 5 would make an ideal and versatile second car when I do have to bite the bullet and get something larger in a few years.

I have a 2 year old and just got back from a memorial day round trip from Minnesota to Ohio - averaged 26-29 mpg doing 75 mph (5 spd sport and depending on ethanol content) - about 10 hours each way. Comfort is good although my wife doesn't love the missing armrest on the passenger seat during long trips. I find the sliding doors and height of the back seats ideal for loading my daughter in and out (frequently).

I also have 3 60lb dogs and have taken them on trips with the back seats (and sometimes one of the second row seats) folded down. With those three on board, there really isn't much room left for luggage so I invested in a rack and cargo carrier for the annual holiday travel.

I also get some satisfaction knowing that the other 90% of the time I'm not taking a trip I've got a right-sized vehicle that's nothing more than I need. Oh, yeah, and that Zoom-Zoom thing.
  • castg1castg1 Member Posts: 34
    The M5 to me feels too delicate. I needed to educated friends on how to properly close the sliding door. 100% of the time they 'slam the sliding door too hard' in closing it the first time. Anyone who has the M5 will experience this 'fear' of someone slamming the sliding door violently. lol.
    That's funny...I had to talk to my kids about that. Although, once you are over how easy the sliders work, it's a benefit.