Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• tacomashanetacomashane Member Posts: 27
    Believe it is a Technical Service Bulletin? It has been mentioned in previous posts if you want to dig for it.
  • befuddled2befuddled2 Member Posts: 111
    I've heard of these TSB's as well but have yet to find one. Here is what I've found thus far. http://www.mycarstats.com/auto_TSBs/TOYOTA_TACOMA_TSBs.asp
  • 95runner95runner Member Posts: 9
    i have an 2006 tacoma and i have owned it three years and hate the damn thing. i have it going back to the shop as a lemon. i have had to replace a shifter fork, all the safety switches for the clutch pedal and my pedal sits up to high. this took them a month to do since they did not have any parts for it. not two weeks later i had third gear syncro go bad and when i had my mechanic do the work for the tuneup and oil change i had an oil leak somewhere. this fix took about close to three weeks to fix- the oil leak was the rear main seal. i told the service manager i would be back in two more weeks to have the tranny tore down and built again and changed the weeks to months and now i have fifth gear syncro going out. i have had over 7 rental cars since this car was new. toyota now to me has lost my business. i had a 94 and and 95 one truck and one 4runner and both of them have outlasted this crappy truck
    i have an 06 six speed and first on mine is sometimes hard to get it to go in. i usualy shift into second and back into first and sometimes it works and other times i repeat the process. hope this helps
    on my 2006 i have had to have these replaced. there are two switches that go to the clutch. one of them is on a bracket but and doing any kind of adjustments just makes it worse. i could not tell you how many times i have had them fix this same problem. i still have it acting up today. i understand how much of a pain this is
    i have an 2006 tacoma six speed manual and it is the biggest pain in my [non-permissible content removed] i have ever driven. i have had it three years and transmission has come out three times already: had a shifter fork snap inside, then third gear syncro went and now i need to replace the fifth gear one. had to also put in a rear main seal due to the truck leaking oil under the undercarriage. i dont recommend this truck to anyone unless they have all the money in the world and dont mind it sitting in the shop all the time
  • DAVE1867DAVE1867 Member Posts: 1
    does both the auto and standard transmissons have problems? are the 2010 tacoma have the same problems? thinking of buying a 2010 tacoma, but after these problems, i may be looking at a nissan.
  • tacoma1958tacoma1958 Member Posts: 21
    The manual transmissions don't have the same problem as the autos. The problem is in the shift logic. On a manual the shift logic is between your ears. I traded my defective '09 Tacoma on a '09 Frontier and I am very happy I did, even though it meant taking a loss.

B
    No they don't. First off one is an automatic and the other a manual. Two different systems. I suggest that you go through and read the problems in here in the 261 postings. That will give you an idea of what to look for. This is not say that there aren't problems with other makes of vehicles either. If you're looking to buy take the time to read them. It's hard when you're all excited about buying a new vehicle but if you buy this and have the problem you'll kick yourself especially when you were forewarned and you ignored it. Don't let them tell you the deal is only good now. They'll have the same deal tomorrow. Good luck
  • 09taco09taco Member Posts: 33
    its the auto that has the problems, I have an 09 double cab off road with the auto. My truck only has a little over 6000 miles on it. I've had my truck back to the dealer to have the trans looked at, they told me thats the way it is. Yeah right, I have hard down shifts and high revs at low speeds, hunting for the right gear to be in.. I blame it on a program issue with the down hill assist control. The computer needs re-programed. Other than that I like the truck. GOOD LUCK...maybe 2010 has changed something??
  • nick224nick224 Member Posts: 8
    no, nothing has changed on the 2010 tacoma. i just bought one a few weeks ago with 11 miles on it and i'm so pissed that i didn't reseach the toyota taco as much as i probably should have prior to purchasing it. i was just sold on the styling and the fact that i've had 2 toyota's before each for over 10 years with no problems. i'm having the same problems with the tranny with the downshifting and high revving until it finds third gear......all happens at a little under 15mph's (just about the speed you have to go to make a 90 degree turn, or slow over a speed bump). i took it to the dealership and they gave me the "that's normal" story. i don't want to let this issue die as i only have a little more than 1k miles on it. after reading all these posts, my only conclusion is to file some sort of suit against toyota......after documenting the things i am going to do to try and make this right.
  • maybetacomamaybetacoma Member Posts: 4
    can you share what specific truck you have? 6 or 4 cyl? 4A or 5A tranny. 4WD or 2WD. thanks.
    I own a 2009 Toyota Tacoma Double cab off road TRD. 4x4 V-6 (Auto.- 5A)
    from what i have read, the high rev. hunting for the right gear at low speeds and hard down shifting has been the same in the 2009 and newer trucks. I still blame the down hill assist control.
    I haven't heard any problems with the trucks that Don't have this option, but I could be wrong.? Keep us posted
    Did you report the problem to toyota? I have and they gave me a confirmation number regarding the complaint. and I also had it back to the dealer, They said thats the way it is. No problems found.
  • maybetacomamaybetacoma Member Posts: 4
    I've been suspecting that this is 5A automatic problem and not a 4A / 4 cyl model issue.
    i have a 6 cyl, 5A tran, 2WD, TRD. if you're thinking about a tacoma, ask if you can demo the vehicle for a few days. not certain what they'll say seeing as how there appears to be such a demand for them. but if you take the vehicle just for a test drive, you may not be able to fully appreciate how annoying this problem can be. maybe i'll start calling my tacoma "The Gearhunter"
    no, didn't report the problem. i guess that couldn't hurt. do you have a number or address?
    it sounds like being able to voice your issue with the field tech rep is a good idea. i may try that. and boy that sure would be nice if there is a fix for this shifting (and gearhunting) issue.
  • gsprickgsprick Member Posts: 6
    Your problem is exactly the same as with my '09. They have told me that the next time I bring it in for service they will try to "reprogram" the computer that controls the shifting but don't think it will help. The only answer is to continue to complain on here, to the dealer, and to the company. Eventually they will have to face up to it. They are getting a real black eye on this and their failure to try and fix it has made me rethink my whole opinion of Toyota as a company.
  • pesteele1pesteele1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2009 2.7 4 speed auto & mine certainly has the same problems described and from what I read, so do all the other 4 speed autos. I posted on this forum a while back & Toyota issued a TSB (#0096-09) back in May/June 2009. They 'reprogrammed' my ECU but this did nothing to remedy the problems & I believe made it worse.

I'm surprised that there isn't an acknowledgment of this TSB by Toyota when folks complain & are given the party line that this is 'normal'. My guess is there has to be something really wrong with the design. The transmissions aren't this way at delivery (at least mine wasn't) and seem to start developing after 300-400 miles in my case. I used to do some programming (not transmissions) and it wouldn't seem hard to do a software patch that endlessly passed the original factory parameters back to the ECU w/ every new start rather than the idiotic 'learning' profile. Must be some underlying firmware/hardware issue that would be horrendously expensive for them to address. Another possibility is all their emissions certifications were done w/ the current configuration and they can't/won't do all that over again.

I seriously doubt Toyota is ever going to address this issue & am planning on dumping my 2009 (now w/ 2,500 mi) as soon as I have a convenient opportunity to do so. I will never, never, never, never...(see a pattern here) buy another Toyota product. Not a smart way to keep moving forward.
  • tmabtmab Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2010 TRD 4WD a couple of weeks ago. I began to notice the same problem you are having with the engine high reviving, and "hunting" for the correct gear at around 10 - 15 miles per hour. It does it mostly when you are turning.
    I've now got approx. 900 miles on the vehicle, and it seems the problem is getting worse.
    I was hoping that it was just something having to do with the fact it was new, and would get better. Not going to happen.
    I'm really disappointed after reading that so many other people are having the same problem.
    i don't have the DAC on my 2010 TRD Off Road. or at least, i don't have the actual button on the side. maybe it's a built in feature, don't know.
  • casteebcasteeb Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to hear that you had to learn the same way we did....Apparently Toyota doesn't need the Tacoma any longer, there must be better money in the other vehicles. I have steered at least 8 friends away from Toyota - to Nissan or US trucks since I got mine in Jan 09. They are thankful. Again, sorry to hear the news.
    Ditto. If TSB only stated to reprogram the ECU then that's all Toyota has done for a fix to everyone that has complained. They did it to me with no results as well. Not a good omen folks. Again I say look to the right of this column where the web site says "Learn More". You'll see down below the term "Do More"? Below that "Write a Car Review"! Do so as this column and the complaints therein are not posted there. Maybe we can keep a few others from making our mistake. Such a shame it comes to this. Uhm? I wonder if the floor mat has anything to do with this?
  • johns92118johns92118 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 tacoma with 150,000 mi. when its cold the transmission takes a few mins to shift out of low into drive. any help? my e-mail is johns92118@aol.com

thanks
  • tennesseeman1tennesseeman1 Member Posts: 11
    Good news!!! I carried my 2009 Tacoma to my dealership yesterday for its 5,000 mile oil change and they had received a TSB from Toyota. They reprogrammed my computer and the drive home was like a different vehicle. The service manager told me that Toyota released the TSB on November 3rd. They are not simply re-booting, but are actually feeding in new information to the computer. Hopefully, it will stay fixed. Please call your dealer now and ask about the TSB.
  • bishtacobishtaco Member Posts: 3
    Can you do all of us a huge favor, look at your receipt and post the actual TSB on this message board?
    Boy you're lighting a time bomb with news like this. Yes please list the TSB#. Also, please drive it for a while and note any changes you've come across. In other words did the changes made affect anything else? If all is well and good and there are certainly a bunch of us out here who hope you're right. I'm also curious as to how this came about. Did Toyota do this of their own volition or what. If it was through someone's effort then I would like to thank them. Regardless, I'm happy your resolution has been found.
    The TSB # on my receipt "appears" to be IAW TSB 0373-09. I am going to drive around today and make sure the fix is adequate. However, I must say that my drive home from the dealership was much improved. I am not sure what FINALLY motivated Toyota to try and fix this problem, but I am just glad to have it fixed. I am going to call the dealership after driving around for a while and give them my input. The truck still seems to be holding back a little when coasting down a hill, but not nearly as much as before. Call your local dealership and carry your truck in today. And, pass the word. Happy days are here again-ha.
    Called Toyota Customer Relations 800-331-4331 option 5 and asked about the TSB. It is TRUE! Yee haw! The TSB is a "recalibration reprogramming" of the computer to fix shifting issues and to make shifting smoother at speeds of 20 mph or less. I hope this works.
    I drove around last night and today after the dealership reprogrammed the computer on my Tacoma. I called the dealership and reported that the reprogramming had significantly improved the transmission problem. There is still a little hesitation when I slow below 10 mph and then accelerate. There is also still a little holding back, or "tugging" feeling when I am coasting down a hill or coming to a stop. But, I feel that the problem is about 80% better, We are not at 100% yet, but is is noticeably better. Hopefully, Toyota will monitor this site and "fine tune" after reading our input. I will check my mileage to make sure there is not a negative affect there. I ask that all of you take the time to write after you get your Taco reprogrammed and let the rest of us know how satisfied you are with the "fix". Thanks.
    Thank you very much for the update on this!! I'm going 1st thing to the toyota dealer in the morning and see what they say... I'll keep everyone posted on what they tell me.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    tennesseeman: I would not worry too much about the hold back on coasting because my 08 tacoma double cab does that but has never done any of the other crazy stuff that has been reported on the 09's. I think it helps make the brakes last longer.
  • bad7qbad7q Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for posting the TSB information to the forum. I took my 09 Tacoma to the dealer this morning to have the 09-10 Tacoma TSB installed. The customer service rep insisted I take a technician for a test drive to duplicate the problem before they would install the update. The problem was duplicated during the test drive and the customer service rep authorized the software update. The update took about 30 minutes and as you indicated, there was a significant improvement. I immediately noticed the difference when driving my normal daily route. Those turns along the route where I would normally experience the "problem" or traffic conditions restricting my speed to under 20 mph were now shifting "better". There were instances where the old "problem" did occur. However, in those instances, the reving up of the engine was not as "pronounced" as it was in the recent past. Overall, the shifing is better. However, this was day one......................
    Glad to hear that the software helped. Your explanation of your "fixed" Taco sounds just like how mine performs now. Mine is not completely fixed, but it is much better. Although, I would not buy one, or recommend one that operates like this, it is getting closer. The service manager told me that it might get better after the computer 'learns how i drive". Well, I have heard that one before and I have no faith in that strategy. But, it is still much improved. Hopefully, others will be getting theirs fixed soon and write about their "fix".
  • rjsvetterjsvette Member Posts: 3
    Had my 2009 tacoma at the dealer yesterday and they have downloaded the TSB update for this shifiting problem and it has improved dramatically.
    Well, after seeing the new format that Edmunds has employed here and the few posts that seem to be confirming a definite improvement in the shifting I'll definitely contact my Toyota dealer and confirm this service bulletin. I'm starting to get a warm fuzzy feeling that this format can help. Thank you all and keep up the vigil.
    Hi Thanks for sharing this wonderful info. on the new software downloads for the tacomas. I really hope this helps out. My truck goes into the dealer monday AM
    I was looking to trade this in if Toyota repair this.
    Thank you, and I'll be sure to post my findings after they hopefully correct my truck.
  • jimmorajimmora Member Posts: 8
    I am going to pick my 2010 Tacoma up this afternoon from the dealer. It had 974 miles on it and has shifted horrible since day one. They are telling me the TSB states check fluid level. They are saying mine was 2 quarts LOW. I will let you know if it is any better. They also said it DID NOT need a re-program
    Took my 2009 Tacoma in to dealer today to have the new TSB computer download and immediately noticed a difference driving back home, about 8 miles. The truck coasted much smoother when slowing down and though I only had six turns to make, the transmission did not hesitate at all. I did notice a slightly hard shift with a bit of a jolt once at about 45 mph, but I will wait to see if it happens again. I am hopeful this will make the transmission operate much better. I will keep everyone posted.
  • rjsvetterjsvette Member Posts: 3
    Also make sure they check your trans fluid, They found my fluid down 2 qts. Just for other extra information for others My DAD just bought a 2010 Ford Tarus SHO and it has the drive by wire , same as 2009 tacoma and it shifts funny as weel but there manual indicates it will smooth out after its learning process, But boy what a car!!!!
    I had a Ford SHO for 11 years and what a sweet motor it had. My wifes new RX350 also has the drive by wire system in which I believe is responsible for the current concerns that Lexus is having. However, at this time it is working quite well. I believe we'll be seeing more and problems with the drive by system controlled by computers. We're the guinea pigs.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Glad to see you folks are finally getting some relief, I had my doubts. My 2003 Tundra V8 TRD had the notorious bad fuel filler neck and all I got was the run-around, because while I only had 12K miles on it, it was out of warranty time-wise. They wanted to charge me $140 to look at it when you could clearly see the bad weld seam. I finally bought the part on the Internet for $85 and fixed it myself. This was also a TSB but to me it should have been a recall because it threw a code and the CEL was lit, not able to pass the emission test. All they did was jerk me around and send me in circles between 2 dealers and the factory. An acknowledged defect is a defect no matter what. 2 months earlier and they would have fixed it.

Drive by wire was created for emission purposes, stops us from creating a sudden rich mixture situation that could pollute. My Tundra has it and it is definitely not smooth if you slow down without completely stopping and then accelerate again. It pauses for a millisecond then rockets you forward at a rate greater than intended. The implementation of drive by wire clearly varies by manufacturer as my 2006 Subaru Forester also has it, and while I don't like it compared to my previous Foresters with a real throttle wire, it is much more refined and smoother than my truck.

Toyota could learn a lot from Subaru on how to treat customers, and I have doubts on whether I would buy another Toyota, despite the fact that I really like my Tundra.

Good luck to all!
  • rb2457rb2457 Member Posts: 3
    I have been watching this thread for awile and was getting pretty upset with the transmission issue on my 09 Tacoma V6 4x4 which has 15000 miles on it. Thats how I ended up here. I saw the post mentioning the TSB update and called the dealer, they acted unaware of any issues. They said bring it in and made me jump through all the hoops. They ended up flashing the ECM. So far I am impressed. If it would have been like this when I bought it, I would have never started hating it. Thanks for the updates and best of luck.
  • jmigliajmiglia Member Posts: 5
    I thought I was imagining things with my dual cab 4x4. It just never felt right from day one. The high revs between first and second and the lurching. Took it to a local dealer (not the one I bought it from) and took it for a ride with their transmission guy, he said all the new electronics make it shift that way, just the way it is, not!! Just found this site thankfully and emailed the site to the service manager at the dealer I bought it from. He said bring it in and they would see what they could do. Like they do not know about the issues already? So I will keep you posted as to my results. I have been a Ford guy all my life and finally gave up on them because of poor reliability and you guessed it transmission problems. Looks like I am jinxed.
    Glad to see so many people benefiting from reading and sharing their experiences. Its a shame that Toyota is so poor at communicating with their customers. its pretty that their customers (us) want to communicate. In fact, every time I see their newest TV commercials asking potential customers to "ask someone who owns one (Toyota) I want to get angry. I want someone to ask me. I will tell them about how I got more information and help from a group of dedicated and nice strangers on a web-site than I ever got from Toyota. For any late-comers I am repeating that the "fix" for the automatic transmission of the 09 Tacoma is IAW TSB 0373-09. Call your local Toyota dealership and carry your Taco in and get the software patch installed that will 'mostly' solve your problem. Then, log-in and tell the rest of us how it worked for you.
  • sun5477sun5477 Member Posts: 13
    I have been reading and have the same problems with the transmission high revs and searching for the right gear. I also read that there could be a "fix" for this and to call the consumer number. I called it, and the rep I talked to sounded floored that this was a problem and told me that he had not heard of this problem until MY call. He said he would note this and asked if I would like a claim number, to which I said "absolutely", and that they would keep me informed to any future information.
    When I took my new truck (that I have only a month) back to the dealership with this problem, they told me it was "normal" and they have had other people call or come in about it and that some of the cars do it as well, and to help with the problem, I should just down shift out of Drive to 4th gear. I'm sorry, I thought I just traded in my standard transmission for an automatic transmission! If anyone has any information to help, it would be greatly appreciated!
    No you are not jinxed, take your truck to the dealer and tell them to look up the IAW TSB 0373-09 for the truck. They will tell you they need to do all kinds of diagnosis and test drives to replicate the problem and make sure it's not some other issue, but just stick to your guns and tell them about this forum and the results a few of us have gotten. They won't admit the problem but they are aware of it. It fixed mine.
    Well, here it is 4 days later and I've still not heard from the dealer about this new TSB. Apparently, not everyone at Toyota is aware of this yet. My guess is that Toyota is trying to figure out what residual effect this is going to have on possibly other fly/drive systems it has employed elsewhere. There policy of claiming ignorance of the problem is amazing. I'll give them another day or two to respond to me. When and if this TSB is performed on my Taco I will post the results. Hang in there guys.
    I have been told that the shifting problem was normal with the new "drive by wire" BS. As soon as that IAW TSB 0373-09 was posted I called the dealer, they said that it was correct but had never heard of the problem. I had to set up a service appt. so they could diagnose the actual problem and all the formal BS. The tech who drove it could not duplicate the problem, I was with him. He also said he had never heard of the problem. They said they would need it for a few hours. After a half hour they came back and said I was good to go. They did the TSB. I read in the techs notes that he noticed the problem and recommended the TSB! Anyway don't put it off, they know of the problem. Probably can't admit it, because of the floormat issue. I got that recall notice in the mail yesterday, which I need to bring it in for some safety check. Good luck