Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• befuddled2befuddled2 Member Posts: 111
    I need to admit an addendum to this post. I got an email from the NHTSA http://www.mycarstats.com/reports/TOYOTA/TACOMA/2009/complaints.aspx?strintAgeSt- atus=45. I see very few complaints in there. May I recommend that all file their complaints with these people.
  • 09taco09taco Member Posts: 33
    I just got my truck (09 4x4 doublecab v-6 auto) back from the dealer, They re-programmed the computer for the tranny, now it seems okay, I highly recommend taking it back to the dealer to have the computer software updated, it really improved the way it shifts at low speeds. I would like to have the downhill assist removed or disabled, i still have hard down shifts, at times, the dealer said thats the way that is designed, This feature saves brake pads
    good luck!!!!
  • tacomashanetacomashane Member Posts: 27
    I have driven my truck quite a bit now since this past Saturday when Toyota re-programmed my computer in accordance with the new TSB. The transmission has not hesitated at all now and the truck seems to cruise a little nicer when my foot is off the gas. One thing I have noticed though is that it seems to be shift into 3rd or 4th a little rougher, but not all of the time. Kind of a slight jolt when it shifts, but nothing I am concerned with at the moment. I am just happy to have the hesitation problem fixed. If Toyota is reading this, thank you for finally addressing the problem. In fairness, I will let everyone know the issue has been addressed.
  • tacomashanetacomashane Member Posts: 27
    Forgot to mention, don't let your dealer tell you they have not heard of the TSB. Call Toyota National Customer Service and give them the TSB # (posted earlier) and they will contact your nearest dealer. My dealer was not aware either, until they received the email from national.
  • jimmorajimmora Member Posts: 8
    1051 current miles purchased September 30,2009. transmission shifts HORRIBLE. Took it in for service Friday the 13th of November 2009. The dealership told me to bring it in they said they knew what was wrong it needed transmission fluid. They called me the next day Saturday said it was all better. i picked it up they had to put 2 quarts of transmission fluid in it. YES IT LEFT THE FACTORY in California 2 quarts LOW. It is better and still not right. I called again today spoke with my service guy at team Toyota in Baton Rouge he told me the following. They have a flash for the computer for a reprogram of the transmission for the 2009 Tacoma. They have another customer with a 2010 same as mine with the same issue. They drove it 45 miles with the computer hooked up to it and found numerous shifting errors in the report generated during that test drive. They attempted to 'flash" program the computer with the program provided in the TSB for the 2009 Tacoma IT DID NOT WORK, IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE. They are 100% clear there is an issue and they are addressing it with Toyota. I can bring my truck in to service and have them test drive it and document that I have the same issue and that is ALL they can do at this time. there is NO FIX for it currently there should be in the future they do not know how long that will take. They understand my frustration. So that is where it is TODAY November 18, 2009. My 2010 Toyota Tacoma does NOT shift correctly according to Toyota and there is NO fix. As a side note the dealership and my service writer are being real honest, straight forward, and understanding.
    Well I just got off the phone with the service manager from my dealer wherein I told him about TSB 0373-09. He was not aware of it. I set up an appointment to get what he referred to as a "Flash" update which that TSB is, for tomorrow. I'll get it done and report back as to the result of it after a few days to see just what it does. Keep the fingers crossed.
  • maybetacomamaybetacoma Member Posts: 4
    can you say again what kind of motor / transmission you have? thanks.
    2009 Tacoma Dbl. Cab 4.0l V6 TRD 4X4 automatic.
  • 09taco09taco Member Posts: 33
    I just got my truck back from the dealer, they re-programmed the tranny and now it seems to shift ok. I still get a hard down shift at times but NO revs at low speeds. I think its alot better/ safer than before.
    . My truck is a 2009 double cab V-6 TRD off road. with only 6952 miles on it. I bought the truck brand new in Feb, 2009
    GOOD LUCK!!
    Well, hopefully good news folks. T-SB-0373-09 was just flashed (meaning downloaded) onto my Tacoma this morning by the dealer. It is titled as ECM Calibration:Enhancement to Shifting Performance & Smoothness. It says applicability is for 2009 engine 1GR Transmission 5AT which I presume is automatic 5-speed. It says " To enhance shifting performance and smoothness below 20 MPH during the 2-1 downshift on vehicles equipped with an A750 transmission, the Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has been revised. Use the following repair procedure to address the condition." Previous Calibration ID: 30449000/30449100 and the new Calibration ID: 30449200. There are 4 pages to the TSB and it seems to be directed to the 2009 model only. Don't know if it affects other years or not. I can tell you that the drive home I didn't notice the problem at all. Don't know what if anything else might be negatively affected by this at this point. To soon to tell. Why it has taken so long couldn't say other than possibly Toyota needed time to try it out. The dealer was not I repeat not aware of this new TSB (11-3-2009). You will have to tell them about it as apparently Toyota's communication system leaves a bit to be desired. Once again the TSB # is T-SB--0373-09. I still fault Toyota for not coming out and not saying they were working on the fix and would advise the dealers/customers when completed. What I can say is what a success this forum can be. It took over 300 postings of this problem to get Toyota to react. Frustrating I know but each and every one of you is responsible for this problem being addressed. Though this fix may only help a few of us (I hope not) it is because of this forum and others like it that it happened at all. Thanks. I really have my fingers crossed that this fix fixes the problem on all years of the Tacoma and other makes with this issue. Do have a good one.
    Just a note to tell you to look at Post #313. I too just got mine reprogrammed this morning as so far so good.
  • sun5477sun5477 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone with a 2010 got this "fix" yet? post #313 stated they didn't know if it was only for 2009 or not.
  • jmigliajmiglia Member Posts: 5
    Good job on reporting there befuddled2! Does anyone have the 4 page copy of the TSB? Might be helpful for some of us who have dealers that are claiming ignorance.
    I made them make a copy of it for me when I took the vehicle in. I just don't know how to copy it and post it as an attachment in this format. We're not supposed to put our email addresses on here otherwise I'd copy it and send it to whomever wanted it. For me to type it in here verbatim would take several hours and even then I wouldn't be able to put the illustrations in with it. The dealer can pull it up as it is there. Any ideas on how I get it to you?
  • tacoma1958tacoma1958 Member Posts: 21
    Here's a link to the TSB. I don't think posting the actual text on here is possible. It would lose something in the translation.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/1257235200000_1257840000000_SB0373-09/index.ht- ml
    I clicked on the link above and got an error. However I noticed at the end of the link a miscue (.ht-ml) change that to html and it works and yes it is the correct TSB. Try clicking this link.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/1257235200000_1257840000000_SB0373-09/index.ht- ml
  • bctacomabctacoma Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 09 tacoma 4x4 access cab in July. Got the run around from dealer and Toyota. After reading the posts on this forum I made appointment at the dealer. Got the truck back Fri. Nov 19 after ECU re-programming, major improvement in shifting. Before, it would wait to shift (from 1st to 2nd gear) at 2400 to 2500 rpm, now it shifts at 1400 rpm without that annoying delay. As a result the truck performs better.
    The work order quotes a different TSB.
    "Condition : Complaint of erratic transmission shift. Seems to take awhile to shift into proper gear.
    Cause: Comfirmed complaint. TSB 3111 applies, ECU requires re-flash.
    Correction: Re-flashed ECU and re-checked. Okay now "
    Great. Hopefully, many others will call the dealers and get this accomplished. At this point (a few days after) my truck seems and feels much better. I am optimistically hoping it continues and produces no ill side effects over time. Go forth all and lets put this problem on the back shelves. Kudo's to Toyota for stepping up to the plate. Do have a good one.
  • tacomaryetacomarye Member Posts: 11
    I too have the update on my 09 Tacoma and the shifting is significantly smoother. (for now). But you are correct, the dealer will not tell you of this update, I had to once again, tell them of the transmission glitch. It is unfortunate that it took so long for this issue to be addressed with all of the hassle that Toyota customers had to endure just to get their vehicle to operate as they should.

It is interesting that everyone I spoke to claimed they have never heard about the issue, but yet an update to the transmission came out? They knew about it.

These forums are important and I hope everyone continues to post issues they encounter with any company they deal with. Whether its auto related or other.

Now I just have to wait till Toyota figures out my radio issue. As it has shorted out since I bought it back in January. This is the vehicles 2nd radio to do this..

Thanks everyone!
    Boy do I feel fortunate. My 09 Tacoma has only had the problem with the transmission. As I've scanned these posts I've seen many other problems. Patience is a hard thing to come by and harder to practice. Hang in there and keep pursuing it.
  • choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    Remember, you're on a thread for problems. There's not a "2009 Toyota Transmission Everything's Fine forum" so that all you read here makes it look worse than it really is. Enjoy your truck. You got a good one! :)
    I'm confused. Just what does that comment mean? I'm very much aware of how frustrating problems can be when you buy a new vehicle and it doesn't work right and the dealer and manufacturer just pass you off. If you're a dealer trying to pass yourself off as a victim shame on you. This truck is no better than the previous truck (Ranger) that I had. May you never have a problem with any of your vehicles.
  • jmigliajmiglia Member Posts: 5
    Tacomarye, I just read you are having radio issues too. I wanted to get my 2009 transmission fixed first then address it but now is as good a time as any. My problems have been it, changes channels on it own or the station tune drifts to an odd setting, will not change channels when the buttons are pushed on the dash, will not increase or decrease volume using the dash knob or the control on the steering wheel. Will not turn on when the dash knob is pushed. I think it is possessed.
    I wish I could help. Electronics are funny things. Even tech's scratch their heads trying to figure them out. All I can suggest is having the dealer change the radio out for a new one if they will. Save you a lot of aggravation, not to mention the dealer.
  • gsprickgsprick Member Posts: 6
    I took my '09 tacoma in for service yesterday, gave them the TSB, they reprogrammed it and it seems to be better. I suggest you take the TSB # with you when you take for service because the service tech did not seem to know about it even though I had talked to someone higher up at least twice about it.
  • tacomaryetacomarye Member Posts: 11
    jmiglia, I am currently on my second radio and am awaiting a third which is supposedly on back order. Toyota claims they know they are having issues with their supplier and are working out the details. Your radio seems to display the same characteristics as mine. My advice is to take it in and get them to replace it. At first they did not believe me. So I took the tech for a ride and the radio began acting up infront of him. Now they dont even question me when I complain about it.

Although the radios are supposedly on 'back order', make sure you get the issue logged under warranty.
  • casteebcasteeb Member Posts: 13
    Having cursed my '09 Tacoma crew cab 4x4 truck from Jan 10th to Nov 25th it seems the TSB has finally fixed the engine reving- shifting problems. I wish I could say I am happy with it now, but after having 2 Toyota dealers tell me for 11 months that there is "nothing wrong" with the transmission ...no I think we'll just trade this pig when Nissan gets inventory levels back to normal. It still has a very weird drive train -like it's jumping around down there when you accelerate ... got to say I love the off-road suspension though - that's the one thing they got right. It's a sham they screwed up the rest of the build..the suspension is the great!
    I'm curious, is it the JBL system or another brand of radio.
  • pf168260pf168260 Member Posts: 3
    Reading all posts here and good to know that T-SB-0373-09 fixes the '09 transmission problem. I'm driving a 4x2 PreRunner Dbl Cab Long Bed 4.0L V6 5-Speed Auto for exactly 6-weeks now with same transmission problem. I sent an email to my dealer and cut&paste befuddled2 post #313. The Manager replied letting me know that they're going to look at the TSB then get back to me. That's 2-weeks ago and no updates from them yet.

Does anyone know if same TSB applies to 2010 or if there is already a new TSB avail for 2010 model?
    The link to the TSB is posted on here look back a little and you can bring it up on the internet. Print it out and bring it to your dealer.
  • pf168260pf168260 Member Posts: 3
    Found it and forwarded the link to my dealer.

Hopefully, he'll reply otherwise, I'll take your advice -- print the four pages and give them a visit.

Thanks
  • sun5477sun5477 Member Posts: 13
    I would like to know if that fixes the 2010 also. I just got mine about month & a half ago and took it back to my dealership, they tell me it is suppose to do that and have had a lot of people come back to them with this issue. They are playing dumb. If I could find out if that TSB fixes the 2010, I would print it off and take it to them also.
    I can't answer that for sure but I suspect that it will. It is a programming change and I don't think there are any changes between the 2009 and 10. Go to post #319 and make the changes I suggest and print it out. Good luck.
  • davidirndavidirn Member Posts: 4
    This is an update to my first posting #191. I did get a response from the Department of Consumer affairs. However they said after a short investigation that they could not do anything but write Toyota a letter with my concerns. I have taken the truck to another dealer who did take it for a road test and put it onto the diagnostic computer check. I was told they could not find anything wrong. I have spoken to several techs from the Toyota 1-800 number and they all have never heard of this problem and when I ask them to check out this website they refuse. This total denial from Toyota I also have another problem. The day after I bought the truck I took it back for two reasons. One the transmission and second was the radio had a mind of it's own, turning on and off, unable to adjust the volume, The dealer said they would order a new one. That was in July. Now going on six months and still no raido. I have owned three other Toyota pickups and never did I have any problems like I am having now. Even worse of all is the attitudes of the dealer personnel I am dealing with. Their attitudes stink. What ever happened to Toyota?
    I don't know who the Dept. of Consumer Affairs is and what they can do but I've never heard back from the NHTSA either. Toyota's attitude has been terrible and very tough S@#t that's for sure. Again, go to post #319 change the link as stated and print it out and take it to the dealer. If that doesn't work make a sign 2' x 3' and park across the street from the dealer saying "Go Ahead and Ask Me" how I like my Toyota. It has been for decades and will continue to be in the future "Buyer Beware". There is no one who is going to look out for your interest but you. You're just seeing the ugly side of capitalism. There are good sides to it as well. Persistence my friend. I wish you the best.
  • littleaikenlittleaiken Member Posts: 6
    I have owned my 2010 Tacoma Prerunner for 3 weeks and am also having similar problems with the transmission. However, I have not completed the Toyota Purchase/Lease Survey and the dealer is VERY interested in making me happy...at least until I complete the Survey. I provided a copy of the technical bulletin from post 309 to the Service and Parts Director at the dealership this afternoon and he agreed to have me an answer by close of business 11/30/2009 as to whether the bulletin applies to the 2010 Tacoma and whether it will or will not resolve the transmission issue. I will post the answer Monday evening. Also, if you visit safercar.gov (NHTSA Office of Defect Investigation), there is already one formal complaint filed against Toyota for the 2010 Tacoma Automatic transmission (OID # 10293032 on October 6, 2009). The issues discussed in that complaint are very similar to mine.
  • melb4melb4 Member Posts: 2
    This question is for anyone that has experienced transmission problems. What year is the vehicle involved with the transmission problems?
    Are these problems in a 2 Wheel drive or only in 4x4s?
    I was getting ready to buy a 2010 Tacoma with the Off Road package and 4x4 when I read these posts. Now I will check out the Honda Ridgeline. I still would rather the Tacoma but don't want the headaches. Has anyone narrowed this down to which trucks or trucks coming out of certain states etc.? Thank you. Mel
  • melb4melb4 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of someone that has bought a 2009-2010 Tacoma that is NOT having problems? Also it would be interesting to know what state people are in that are having these problems. I guess I am still trying to narrow this down to see if I can buy one of these without all these problems. Thanks to all of you that take the time to post and help the rest of us.
    I'm driving a 2010 4x2 PreRunner Dbl Cab Short Bed 4.0L V6 5-Speed Auto purchased in Georgia. On my paperwork it list the Port/Plant as Nummi - Fremont, CA. My troubles started early, after about 75 miles, and has continued to get worst. The transmission hunts for the proper gear when I make a turn at low speeds - taking a few seconds to figure out what it wants to do. A real problem when making a left turn in front of traffic. Most pronounced when going down hill and turning at a low speed. Dealer checked the transmission fluid and "topped it off" but no change. Service Manager drove it and experienced the problem first hand. Will give him a lot of credit, he did not deny it was a problem. In fact he noted several Tacoma's had been in the shop within the last few weeks with the same issue (he did not state whether they were 2009 or 2010). He also stated Toyota currently has no fix for the 2010 but I am questioning that as noted in my earlier posting. Will not keep the Tacoma if this is deemed "normal by Toyota." I am waiting until Monday to decide whether to file a complaint with NHTSA. This is my first Toyota and now likely to be my last.
    Oh I think I would complete the survey but not the way they want it filled out. Be kind but firm with them because like politicians they are very good at putting you off. don't buy the crap of driving it for a couple of months so the computer learns your driving habits. That's a bunch of dung. Be very firm. When they don't react when they say they will or offer another excuse be just that much tougher. Get commitments and hold them to it. In other words be a pain in the pants.
  • djjrivasdjjrivas Member Posts: 4
    Wow. I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab. I have been visiting the forum for a awhile now I actually want to thank you guys for that TSB update. That actually fixed my shifting problem etc....But I have a worst situation I notice the transmission was leaking from the rear seal where the trans.. meets the driveshaft I took it in and they refuse to fix the problem they told me that there was no leaks. So I Ieft out of there furious found me another dealer near my house took it in the same day and they acknowledge the leak so they told me that it was the rear seal so they kept it until they fixed it. Let me make this short they replaced the rear seal twice, the driveshaft was also replaced, and the latest was the rear housing on the trans was also replaced. The truck is back to the dealer as we speak because it is leaking again, the truck has about 9000 miles the problem started around 7000 miles... you tell me if Toyota is not having a problem with this transmission.....?????
  • tennesseeman1tennesseeman1 Member Posts: 11
    I purchased my new 2009 PreRunner in Jackson Tennessee (Northwest Tennessee) in May of this year. The label inside the driver's side door frame says the truck was manufactured in Baja California. It is a two wheel drive, four door, six cylinder. I was the first person on the site (post # 279 and 282) to get the reprogramming "fix" a few weeks ago and mine is still "okay". Its still not perfect, but its much better. I had always wanted a Toyota truck and this is my first, and will probably be my last. I have had many new vehicles over the years and I have never had such a significant problem with Ford, Chevrolet, or Dodge. And, Toyota has done nothing to communicate with their customers, or even their dealers. It has been weeks since my dealer fixed my truck and there are still posts here explaining that some dealerships are still not aware of the "fix". Its a pretty shoddy way of running a company. I'm assuming that someone from Toyota, as well as other manufacturers, monitors this site. If I worked for Toyota, and read these posts, I would be embarrassed.
  • caseyb4caseyb4 Member Posts: 1
    same vehicle, 160,000 thousand miles, same problem. Did you ever get it figured out?
    Thanks
  • wakeupdwakeupd Member Posts: 2
    You are not alone with the problems on the 2009 double cab. I bought my truck in June 09 and within a week it was getting a new engine. Two weeks after the new engine installed. I was told it had a leak in the cooling system and had to have a hose replaced. Today, I have a leak in the transmission. Back to the shop again. I think I've had enough and will take Toyota to arbitration to replace the truck.

For those who need to fill out the survey from the dealer, don't wait too long. I waited and now the survey is no longer available.

Has anyone ever tried to get their truck replaced?
    I am actually waiting for the Lemon Law lawyer to contact me this week to see what the outcome is I let you know what happen..... to be honest I rather have my money back and go buy something else this is my first Toyota and the last one to....
    Well Mr. djjrivas, I share your frustrations and anger but in the end I think you'll spend a lot of money on Mr. Lemon Law lawyer than you'll get back. History shows us that only rarely do we win in these types of circumstances. Shame on toyota for sure but as we live and learn from these experiences that becomes our best defense. We are so easy to take advantage of it's pathetic. It's not just you or me but thousands of people. Keep your wits about you and assess your options as they come up. Good luck and if you get somewhere don't forget to post it to help someone else.
    In Pennsylvania we don't have to pay for Lemon Law lawyers. If I win the case the manufacturer must pay the lawyer costs and if I lose the case I still don't pay anything. So I really have nothing to lose. http://www.mylemon.com/
    Hopefully something positive will come out of this...I will keep you posted.
    How interesting. Hope your link provides others with ideas and options. That's nice to know. We in Washington have lemon laws but not to that extent. Only one thing makes me skeptical of this. When you click on the web site its says "All fees are paid by the manufacturer, and you pay nothing." That's kind of like Toyota telling me that since I didn't like their answer to me I could send it to arbitration. Who is arbiter you ask? It is Toyota. That's a disinterested third party? I wish you well.
    I heard back from the Service and Parts Director this afternoon (as he promised). He stated that Toyota was aware of the defect with the 2010 transmission and were working on a solution. Also, as promised, he opened a technical case file on my issue with Toyota. The TSB for the 2009 model does not address the defect with the 2010 model and he could not provide a timetable for when a solution will be available (surprise!). I am going to file my complaint with the NHTSA and send the certified letter to Toyota as part of initiating my claim under Georgia's Lemon Law. I will update as new information becomes available. I guess its time to complete the Purchase/Lease Survey...
    Thanks from many others I'm sure for the update. Good luck with the result and keep us posted.