Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• befuddled2befuddled2 Member Posts: 111
    That's a new one on me. I don't have that problem. Sorry
  • 09taco09taco Member Posts: 33
    take it back to the dealer, they'll reprogram the trans. I have a 09 double cab 4x4offroad, my truck did the same thing, now its good. They (dealer) told me its a software problem with the trans. and it just needs reprogramed..good luck, .....
  • pizarropizarro Member Posts: 1
    With all those parameters and specifications you'll need a rocket scientist maybee NASA can help you.
  • shamrock5shamrock5 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for replying. The Dealer could not provide me with any "FIX" information and at one point told me it's just how the 2010's run. He told me the engine is all computerized and the delay was due to each computer catching up to the other. When you apply your foot to the brake, a computer engages. When you reapply the gas, a second computer engages. The computers need to be on the same frequency. Hence the delay. VERY FRUSTRATING. I'll bring the truck in.

Thanks again to you all. Hopefully this works.
  • tacoma1958tacoma1958 Member Posts: 21
    shamrock5: That's what they all say. I've been reading these posts since 04/09 when I had issues with my 2009 Tacoma. There are dozens of stories of what the dealer has made up to tell us. Some are pretty ridiculous, for instance, "the computer has to learn your driving habits." Anyway, since Toyota would not fix my truck, I went to arbitration and lost. In July 09, I then traded my Tacoma in on a new Frontier because I considered the Tacoma not safe to drive. When Toyota issued a TSB in Nov for a procedure to re-program the computer, I filed a complaint in small claims court. I'm still waiting on the outcome. Good luck. Be persistent.
    tacoma1958 is right. There have been more excuses that Carter has pills. The TSB0703-09 for 2009's and -10 for 2010. It does fix the problem. If they won't give it to you send me your email address and I'll send you a copy of it.
  • nick224nick224 Member Posts: 8
    hey, i have a 2010 tacoma and had the delay issue when slowing down to about 10-15 mph. i took it to the dealership and told them about the problems of it engaging to the right gear at that speed. they said that it could be a number of things. then i told them to take a drive with me to show them exactly what it was so it would be difficult for them to deny what i was referring to. they ended up reflashing the computer and now it runs fine. they were resistant to admit to anything, but once they reflashed it it ran fine. i would just be persistent and try not to piss them off. because once you do, they dig their heals in and want to prove you wrong. unfortunately, you're at their mercy, and more than likely they will win. so my advice is to just kiss their [non-permissible content removed] a bit and act the fool. that's what i did. it was difficult, but guess what. it paid off. good luck!
  • sun5477sun5477 Member Posts: 13
    I too have had this issue with my 2010 Tacoma since I bought it in Oct. 09. The dealership kept telling me that there wasn't a fix for my VIN..etc, yadda yadda yadda..took it to them twice, drove them around since "they" couldn't find the problem. Finally I kept calling the Toyota Corp. Service dept. They called me back last week and told me that the dealership WILL be calling me to bring my truck in to get fixed. It wasn't 10 seconds after I hung up that the dealership called me to schedule my truck. I take it in this Thursday to get "fixed". I'll keep you posted.
  • shamrock5shamrock5 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you. I brought my truck down this morning and the head mechanic searched, but could not find the TSB0703-09 or 10 in his laptop work computer. I scheduled an appointment to bring my truck in next tuesday, 03/02, for what the mechanic called a "REFLASHING". He told me that he wasn't sure if this would fix the issue, but they would still do it.

Could you please email me the info on TSB0703-10, so that i can bring it in with me on tuesday. (wdownes@hillsborough.net)

Thanks again
  • 2010tacoma2010tacoma Member Posts: 3
    I have that same issue with my 2010 SR5 that I just bought less than a week ago...I traded in my 2006 SR5 and never had an issue...with all these recalls...I m starting to regret the trade!!!!...I have a small vibration under my feet..very slight but enough to know there is something not right...there is a recall on the front drive shaft that my dealer here is still saying that they dont have all the information about it yet...your vibration sounds identical to mine...did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?...I ve had mine in and they say that they dont feel it...how is beyond me because I get it everyday I drive it...really appreciate your insight...thanks
    Just bought a new 2010 Tacoma...SR5 four door...a week old and there is an unexplained (from my dealer) vibration under my feet...its very faint but there all the same...anyone experience this and if so, anyone know the fix because my dealership has no idea..thanks...
    Check your email. I sent it to you
  • sun5477sun5477 Member Posts: 13
    Here at Toyota now getting my "reflash" done, and it is being done reluctantly! Can't wait to see what becomes of this deal! I also feel a small vibration thru the gas pedal. It just started tho, so I will give it a little bit to see what becomes of it before I bring it back in here again to be told I am mistaken. I had to keep reporting my "gear searching " problem to the NTSB and Toyota Corp. AND even TODAY, when I brought it in for the appt. and they read the work order, the tech looked at me and asked what it was doing..I explained it to him and he gave me a look of disbelief and like this is the FIRST time he has even heard of the problem!!! (rolling my eyes) C'MON! Good luck to you all and I'll let you know tomorrow if this "fix" does it.
    My dealer played dumb too to the problem. So I copied all the complaints here on this blog and showed it to him. I still don't believe them. You know they have got to be reading this.
  • glock22glock22 Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone, new member here. Two weeks ago I traded in my 07 Silverado on my new tacoma. My wife and I couldn't be happier with it other than this low-speed shifting issue. She noticed it first, I came in a close second. Mine is a TRD 4x4 5 speed auto crew. I knew this wasn't right, last time I felt this was in an old chevy 4x4 I had with a worn out trans... Please keep me posted on fixes or is there anyone with (the fix) that can email it to me. thanks
    You can go back and read all the posts on this problem or you go back to the dealer and tell him you want TSB0703-10 to fix your problem.
  • tacomashanetacomashane Member Posts: 27
    Seriously, it amazes me how many people post on here and ask if anyone has an answer to their problem, when all they have to do is go back and read this blog. I bet these are the same people that blindly vote for our politicians.
    You're probably right but when a problem comes up and you're searching for answers you have to start someplace. If I'd of read this forum before I bought my problem I probably wouldn't have bought my problem. We all make mistakes.
    Thank you. I kinda registered and posted my first msg then went down the list of msgs. I then printed out about 40 pages of this. I had no idea all this existed, and just blindly searched the net with (tacoma transmission). It brought me here, I would not have traded in my last truck if my wife and I had known. I plan to make a service appt. asap...
  • rider287rider287 Member Posts: 3
    seems like alot of people are having this promlem try not to drive around with it like this it will mess your car up
  • rider287rider287 Member Posts: 3
    Hello how how and what do I need to add trans fluid? the trans shakes from 30 to 40 mph its almost like brake chatter but its the trans and i just figured it low on fluid can someone please help me out with some information
    Sounds like you did pretty much the same thing I did. When you don't know things you tend to ask questions which to someone who's been down the road tends to make one sound like an idiot. Not the case. You now are smarter and will help someone else out. Which is the idea behind this forum. Go forth my friend and may the vehicle gods be with you.
    Well, my wife and I went to the dealer Monday morning, print outs in hand, and told them the problem. First our salesman said its just how it drives, then I replied " I have the TSB on this truck". Boy did he leave us alone... The head mech didn't think there was one on the 2010's but was willing to look it up. It was performed, got a copy of the reciept, drove home with no issues. Will be keeping a close watch though. Also, any info on the leaf spring TSB? Are the factory leaves weak or not enough of them?
    I'm glad it worked out for you. I've noticed that it has cost me 1-2 mpg. But the transmission is working as it should. I'm afraid I know nothing of the leaf spring problem. I hauled a load of sand in the bed and it was definitely a load and it did better than I thought it would. No problems
    Yeah, its got me wonder'n to. according to another site its a big issue - 4 leaves instead of three. This trans issue has me watch'n out on this truck, but i haven't had a chance to tow or haul anything. Sure cost alot for all this s---..................................
    It became such an issue for me as where I live when trying to pull out from our road onto another road there is a visibility problem wherein once you commit to pulling out a car can come round the corner and T bone you in a heart beat. I couldn't trust that the transmission was going to engage when I needed it to. I don't/ didn't want to be dead right. I don't know if any other manufacturer is any better at making a vehicle or not. They all seem to have major issues. It's kind of a pick your poison scenario. Kind of makes you question all the pomp and circumstance of advertizing doesn't it? It's still a buyer beware world isn't it?
  • ozone3ozone3 Member Posts: 1
    I would greatly appreciate getting a copy of TSB0703-10. My Son just bought a new 2010 Tacoma and he is having this problem. The Dealer is just blowing smoke at him claiming they only have the -09 and it doesn't apply to his truck. My e-mail is: westernbay@myfairpoint.net. Thanks in advance, Ozone3
    Print some of this stuff out. My dealer's service manager said he did'nt think there was one but he would try... IT DOES INCLUDE THE 2010s. Fixed mine in about 15 min.

Also the rear spring tsb as well. Its on tacomaworld.com
    You got it my friend.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I have an 08 Taco Double cab 2WD TRD 12,000 miles and it shifts rough and sometimes searches for the right gear then goes like hell when it finds it. It only does this 1 or 2 times a week and is more annoying than dangerous. Has anyone with an 08 had this issue? If so what has the dealer done for you?
    Thanks
    It is my understanding that this issue goes back as far as 2004-5. The service bulletin TSB 0703-09 and -10 cover the years 2009 and 2010. I do not know if it covers 08 07 and 06 etc. My guess is that it does. Dealers are claiming that it doesn't from reports listted here. However, it is a computer programming issue and I find it hard to swallow that the flashing (reprogramming) will not fix the problem for earlier years. If you can convince them to do it it is worth a try. If successful, by all means post the results back here so that others can get their's fixed. Good luck.
  • npasquininpasquini Member Posts: 1
    I recently started having a problem with my front end in 4 wheel drive. I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma, V6, 4wd, with manual transmission. When I shift it into four wheel drive the front drive line turns but the front wheels are not turning (I observed this while truck was lifted alittle bit on a rack). The green four wheel drive indicator light does not come on anymore. I checked fuses, electrical plug conections, and vacuum lines. Nothing was obviously disconnected or wrong. Does anybody have advice or ideas of the problem and/or solution.

Thank you,
    Nicholas Pasquini
  • justmedldjustmedld Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma, after reading all these posting um......yeah I'm terrified to drive it. Last monday I noticed that when the truck got to 30 mph to 40 it would hesitate going into gear. My truck is an automatic transmission. I took it to the dealership on friday they were not able to find anything. Then I returned to them on yesterday (Saturday) since balancing and rotating the tires didn't help the situaion. I told the young man I was working with that I was scared this is my only means of transportation. They were very kind and worked with me. They had two techs drive the truck for over 30 minutes yesterday and had the computer sensor in the truck. They felt it once and the computer could not register it. I feel it regularly but then again I know what I'm feeling. So this TSB that you all are talking about is there one for the 06's? And are we taking about a full transmission replacement or something minor. My truck was leased and I have blown the lease due to mileage on the truck, I have already contacted toyota with my issue if they have created information for some dealers and not all well yeah that to me is a known issue they should have taken care of. What does it take for a recall someone to die?
    Your transmission problem sounds a little different. This is not a recall issue at this time. Lord knows Toyota has there hands full right now. That's not say that it shouldn't be. I do not believe there is a fix, as stated the way Toyota does, on the 2006 model at this time. The TSB is 0703-09 & -10 for the 2010 year. It is not a transmission fix in the sense you are thinking of in that the problem is within the computer. It is what they call a reflashing or reprogramming of the computer and what it reads from the sensors. There could be I suppose some differences in the programing of the computer from 2006 to 2010 which would make the fix from one year to the next different. To the best of my knowledge the fix for the 2009 and 10 are the same. Toyota has been very standoffish on this and other issues. Who can blame them really I guess. Sad part is it can result in harm to people when it need not. Just make sure if you find the resolution to your problem that you post it here so others can share in your good fortune. Toyota is definitely taking a beating as of late and hopefully they will learn that there approach to resolving issues has been wrong. good luck.
    Thank you so much for the response...........this resetting of the computer you have mentioned it is merely undoing the battery or do they actually have to do something at the dealership?
  • blmfgymblmfgym Member Posts: 1
    I have a automatic transmission and it has developed something like a skip when it needs to downshift out of over drive. I thought at first it was the motor skipping but it is the transmission solonid not engaging until you accelerate harder. What causes the solonid to not engage? If you press the button to turnoff overdrive, the transmission immediately downshifts. I assumed from this, the solnoid is okay. Is there a switch or something that makes the transmission downshift or is it part of the linkage?
    I think I would advise you to read back posts in this forum and I think you will come to the conclusion that it is a computer programming source for this action you are feeling. Good luck.
  • vinymac05vinymac05 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2010 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab a little over a month ago. I noticed quite soon after i bought it that there were a few issues. When I accelerate or press on the gas after going over a speed bump, or just simply at a slow speed it searches for a gear for a couple seconds then kicks in abruptly. I also felt a faint vibration down by the pedals. I thought maybe I was just being parranoid until I read the posts on this site. I took my truck to the dealer and the tech said that it's just the way the car drives. So, reluctantly, I agreed and drove off. It still does the gear searching at low speeds and when I take off from being stopped, it feels like it doesn't have much power. But now I noticed when it switches from the first gear to second there is a verry noticeable vibration that actually shakes the pedal. I have no Idea what to do. I feel like if I take it do the dealer again, nothing will be fixed.....again. I am extremely frustrated. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you
    This really sounds more like my 2006 as well........I have taken mine to the dealer twice now. Both times two different techs drove it the last time they put the computer system on it and they could not find ANYTHING wrong. I have noticed mine has begun doing it more when I hit the patches on the road from all the snow we got. Alot of folks on here have printed out this information taking it to the dealer and having them read it seems to make them jump. Being a female when I went into the dealership the second time I expressed I was SCARED to drive my truck......seemed to work cause they jumped to put the computer on it. My dealership wants me to drive it to see if it gets worse......they were just on the news the other night talking about the computer issues causing vehicles to have to fight to find gears........although no truck was mentioned :( . You do know you don't have to use the dealer you bought it from right......if you can't get help at one I'd find another one for sure!!
    I have had my 2010 tacoma less than a month and have had it in 5 times for the same issues that you are having..vibration in the floor...and now a "new" clunk during certain conditions with the transmission...there is a recall on the front drive shaft but the service department said that mine was fine...After 5 times with service saying that they dont know where or what the problem is, the sales department came to the rescue...they have ordered me another new 2010 tacoma to arrive in about a week...the sales department is simply replacing the whole truck for me...I certainly hope that my second "new" 2010 tacoma works better than my last one...my initial 2010 tacoma was made december 2009...this one is suppose to have been made in February (again...arrives off the truck next week)...I understand your frustration and cant believe all that "we" tacoma owners are going through right now...I buy only toyota...on my 3 rd one and have never experienced such a defect in my vehicles...I buy toyota for quality...nothing else!!...again...thank goodness for sales to bring me in another new one...it was the sales manager that said enough is enough...5 times in for service in less than a month and it cant be fixed...I m grateful to my dealership for that...again...heres hoping my second 2010 works the way its suppose to....Good luck...I ll let you know how my second one works...
  • nick224nick224 Member Posts: 8
    i have a 2010 double cab and had the same problems. i took it to the dealership and i drove the tech around because i knew what the answer was going to be if i had just told them about the problem (without letting ME actually show THEM). in short, they ended up reflashing the computer and it fixed the gearhunting. take your vehicle to the dealership, offer to drive them around to show them and make sure you can replicate the problem you're describing. it will be hard for them to deny it. as far as the vibrations go, i had a slight vibration which seems to have gone away (for the most part) as my vehicle has broken in with more miles. good luck!! oh also, try not to put the tech on the defensive and/or get him pissed off right away because if you do, it will be very difficult to get them to do anything for you. be nice, act a little ignorant and let them spout off all their knowledge about the tacoma. chances are better that you will get what you want, they will feel good about being able to show you that they're very knowledgable, and everyone will be happy!
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "try not to put the tech on the defensive and/or get him pissed off right away"

I think it is terrible for Toyota to this attitude after all that has happened with their reputation. I have a gear hunting problem in my 08 but since there is no TSB for the 08s then there is no problem right? Thats what I am getting from my dealer.
    Take it to another dealer, if you can. You are not obligated to have it serviced where you bought it. I did that when I first had my problem, thinking I should let the dealer I bought it from fix it. Not the case. You might even say something to the second dealer service manager "Those guys couldn't fix it, so I brought it here becasue I heard you were the best."

B
    Don't worry, be happy. We now have health care.
    When Toyota released the TSB in November last year for the '09 Tacoma transmissions, I filed a complaint in small claims court. Two weeks ago, the judge ruled in my favor. Today I received my settlement. I sold my truck in July '09 at a loss and Toyota was forced to compensate me for that loss because they did not honor their warranty. My Toyota nightmare is over and so I will no longer be following this board. My advice: Be Persistent.

Ben
  • jmigliajmiglia Member Posts: 5
    Hi 2010tacoma, sorry should follow the site more regularly, my vibration is noticeable between 60 and 70 miles per hour. Drop below 60 and it gets less noticeable. Funny thing is it was not there right after I bought it, it has only popped up the last few months. Of course I had the mechanics drive it and they did not notice anything just like the trans problem before I forced the issue and had it flashed, by the way that fix did correct my other problem.
    Have an appointment again to get my possessed radio replaced and I will have them drive it again. Mine being a 2009 is not covered by the drive shaft recall but it sure feels like something is out of balance. Any others experiencing this. In my old hot rod day balancing the drive line to reduce vibration was a common thing.
  • starspritestarsprite Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I just bought a 2010 Toyota Tacoma automatic double cab TRD 3 weeks ago and I used Edmunds to look up info before we bought it....however, did not find this forum until afterwards. This basically is my husband''s truck and he said he is having the shifting difficulties at low speeds also and going around corners. Could someone please send me the TSB0703-10 so I can print it out to bring to the dealership?
    I don't have the -10 but I have the -09. You need to supply an email address in order to send it.
  • starsprite1starsprite1 Member Posts: 6
    Well I need the TSB for the 2010...how do you find it on the internet? Thanks!
  • starsprite1starsprite1 Member Posts: 6
    How do I give you my email on here without it being public?