Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL: XM Radio

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
edited August 2014 in Acura
Talk about your XM experiences here!

Comments

• bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Bought an '06 TL a month ago and love the XM radio. I've heard that if you say the right words when you call them to extend the subscription for a year, you can get it for much less than the going rate.

What's the best way to get a discount on XM radio fees?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    When my XM trial period ended (and I never planned to continue it. And have not.) I kept gettting phone calls with offers of reduced monthly fees. Each call was a better deal, but if I remember they were only temporary price reductions? My Acura salesman actually told me not to renew right away, that XM would make these offers.

So, to sum up, I did not call them to renew, they called me and made me unsolicited offers to stay the course. Might have emailed, too. Don't remember (I have an '05 purchased right at the New Year '05).

Good luck!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

laurasdada: Thanks for the tip on renewing XM.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I told them to cancel the service and they offered to drop the price to $9.99 a month. So i signed on for another year.

Has anyone got it for less?
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I renewed for $4.95 for 3 months, then I think it goes to $9.95 month for the next year.

I was mailed a post card with this offer about 30 days after my initial free 90 days expired. Took it right away!

I love that you get free XM online too. Multiple users can use it also, so you don't need a separate receiver and account for home use.

XM is awesome. I don't even use the CD/DVD player much at all. The variety on XM is unbelievable. Plus you can always burn the songs to a CD at home.

Get it.
  • jerseyguy3jerseyguy3 Member Posts: 7
    Just bought my 06 TL Nighthawk Black this month. What an awesome car! I've read that there is a $77/yr. renewal out there. If you call 800 682-4114 after your 3 month free subscription expires,and tell them your subscription to XM radio has expired,you've received notice of a special promotion, and use code "zwinback" along with your radio code you may get this deal. If not successful the first time its recommended that you call back. Seems to being working for alot of people. :D
    Thanks for the tip. Seems like there's a lot of deals out there for XM. Moral of the story: don't pay sticker!
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    XM is really nice and if you have Navigation even better.

How do you get those deals I waited a month after it expired and I never got any specials. So I ended up paying about $12 a month I believe it is.
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    I have a 2005 TL, purchased 10/2004, and I'm on my 2nd zwinback promotion. The first time it was $60, and the last time (after the price increase) it was $77. I had to let it expire to get it the 2nd time. Waited about a month.
  • justinsblacktljustinsblacktl Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 TL w/NightHawk Black Pearl exterior.....I have to agree....the black looks kick-[non-permissible content removed] when it's cleaned up!
    Not sure what interior you got, I have the quartz (gray) interior...I really like it :-)
  • roscoe5roscoe5 Member Posts: 2
    Is there a way to show the different XM categories on the Nav display? Seems like the dealer showed us this when we went on a test drive, but we cannot determine how to make it work. Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    There is a small button on the bottom right side of the stereo console that says category/display or something to that effect. It toggles through what item you want displayed in the center dash readout.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Back in 2004, XM was offering multi-year plans for discounts - I bought 4 years for $359, which works out to about $7.50 per month. Plus, on our other cars, we then qualify for the family plan at $6.99 per month.
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Well I bought my TL a year ago and used XM for the free 3 months only. I know would like to re-activate, but can't seem to find the 8 digit code they are asking. The dealer an anti-theft identification card with some codes and serial numbers, but that's not it. Then I was told to set the radio on XM channel "0", and the radio won't do it, and will stay on channel 274 I think (where the commercials are)... So would any of you know how to find the 8 digit number?? or is everyone else's inactivated XM radio set on those 2 channels... emergency advisory channel, and channel 274?? :(
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    nightcrawler, does this happen when you manually tune to Channel 0? I just purchased
    a 2007 Lexus RX350 and had the XM installed
    on it, and that's how I get to Channel 0 is
    using the manual tuning knob. I'm having a
    problem activating it though because only 7
    digits are showing on my screen for my activation I.D. There's supposed to be 8 digits required. I'm going back to the
    dealership tomorrow to see if they have the
    I.D. code somewhere else with the 8 digits.
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    nope, at least on my TL I tried to tune to channel zero with the knon, and it would only go to two channels. If I try to change to channel zero with voice commands, it won't recognize the command, and will try to tune to a different channel. By the way, if I try to tune to any other channel the word update" will show on the screen for a second, and then it will go back to channel 274 so I can continue to hear xm advertising. Well I don't know why is it doing this, and I'm to lazy to go to the dealership.... so does anyone have this problem?? Do anyone know where I can find the 8 digit code??...no, its not on that card they gave you with the manuals that has the radio code and serial number for the anti-theft. I guess I'll save this question for the next time I take it for an oil change.
  • dwinkdwink Member Posts: 14
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm in the market for a 2006 TL. I'm a little concerned about the radio as a whole. I sat in my friends TL and the radio didnt seem sharp at all. I noticed it doesnt come with Bose anymore. Is the current stereo better than Bose that they got rid of it? Any info would help. Thanks!
  • cdrowancdrowan Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a radio issue with my TL (2001). First of all we can't figure out which fuse runs the radio, assuming it IS a fuse that is the problem. We went thru the hood and could not figure it out so we replaced all fuses possible. We also replaced the fuses on the side (drivers seat side). Unforuntatley we have misplaced our manual. I am hoping it is not the actual radio itself but almost certain it is not b/c the cigarette lighter does not work either so we must be missing something. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated
  • mpate862mpate862 Member Posts: 1
    I just got the 2010 TL with the Tech Pkg...Everything is set up except the XM radio. I can't move beyond the EMERGENCY CHANNEL 247 and one other station. I also see the Radio code flashing..I don't understand and want to avoid a visit to the dealer..Any suggestions will be much appreciated
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Member Posts: 106
    I would call XM and have them send a HIT to your radio. Just give them the VIN number of your car and radio ID and they can bring it back to life. I would have your radio turned on when on the phone as the HIT to your radio will be relatively fast.

Also, it is a SHAME the dealer did not check this before you took delivery of the car. Let us know how it turned out

OH, here is the phone number you should call 1-800-374-0600 or 1-800-967-2346 :shades:

These are direct numbers right into customer service...
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    Hi everyone!

I am billed $44.79 quarterly for XM for my 2007 TL. Anyone getting a better rate?

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I think you are getting killed- they just sent me some special rates to woe me back because I had cancelled my subscription. Here are the rates-
    6.49 per month for a year or 4.98 per month for six months- I am not biting because they also want 14.99 to reactivate each radio.
    I liked the XM in both our cars but I used the Bluetooth Radio and HDD so much that at times I hardly even used the XM function.My wife sticks to her Conneticut AM 600 station- so in essence, we were giving money away.
This discussion has been closed.