Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Mitsubishi Outlander Owners Give us your report

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This older discussion may shed some more light.

merle4, "Rail Dust" #2, 11 Jun 2001 1:42 pm
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    www.rallyarmor.com has 3 different kinds, including urethane ones at less than half the price of the JDM Mitsubishi parts.

Mud flaps are critical protection for any car driven in harsh conditions. I don't think *any* manufacturer will cover damage caused by rocks hitting the paint.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/rally-mud-flaps-impreza-wrx-sti-c-60_66.html?osC- sid=6d57fe9b4374d0fcd85c9759cfe07c1a
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    Looks like we have to work together on this one. Below is my inquiry and response from www.rallyarmor.com
    Q:"There is a big group of 07/08 Mitsubishi Outlander owners in search of a good mud flaps. Few of us have some paint chipping problems on rear doors and fenders , after driving on salt and gravel covered roads this past season. It is a hot subject on our forum (Edmunds.com/ forums/Mitsubishi). The original OEM mud guards (hard plastic) are way to short for 8.5" vehicle clearance, and do not provide enough protection. There is nothing available from Mitsubishi, unless imported privately from Japan or Europe. I looked at your web page, but could not find anything for this car. Please let me know, if you may have them available, or planning to add them to your product line before next winter?"

A : "We have not considered this application before, but if there is a demand we can work with local owners to design a set. Our Urethane application is an excellent setup, and Forester owners have taken advantage of the great flexibility, strength, and resistance to cold it provides."
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606

This is a solution to a problem. The price of the urethane mudflat is $143 included shipping in USA. What I am not sure is if the price is for four mudflats or just for one.

Could you clarify this, please?
    This is a a very good Initiative and a practical solution to our paint chipping problem.

but if there is a demand we can work with local owners to design a set

How can we forward our demand? What does it means local owners? What about to those that are not locals? What costs for the kit of four? and so on?

Why not just order the Mudflats for the Subaru Impreza WRX STI? It will fit the Subaru Forester then it may fit the Outlander.
  • chiefstinkytoechiefstinkytoe Member Posts: 21
    Any Outlanders in Astoria, NY, where RallyArmor is based?
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    The mudflaps i bought from autozone are almost the same stuff I see on that site but at a lot less $$. It's already long enough because it was designed for trucks, and almost the same width as that of the OEM ones. I must say 125$ is still a little pricey for a set of mudflaps, and the fact you'll probably need 2 sets for all 4 wheels.
    "How can we forward our demand? "
    Send it to: rally@rallyarmor.com or sales@rallyarmor.com
    That will show them, it's not only me interested.
    Looks like it is for all 4 wheels: "includes a complete set (4 flaps) of driver front/rear and passenger front/rear in addition to rust proof mounting hardware."

They offer 3 different grades, the cheapest ones are probably closest to the Auto Parts Store variety. The urethane will hold up better, especially in the cold regions. It's also probably the quietest.
    I have ordered a mudflat genuine Mitsubishi part MZ531328 from

www.zontarh.com --UK web page

It is expensive but it will solve all the problems of the paint chipping in the Outlander. Total price of the kit shipped to the UK is around $550. The product will come to my home directly from Japan (about 10 days).

Price for the USA homes, perhaps is cheaper.

Protecting my Outlander from paint chipping using a special 3M product + technician skills will possible cost me a similar figure in the USA.

So we have here an importer that can import from Japan (expensive, I think) but you can get what you want without your Outlander looks cheap with adapted mudflats that are suitable for truncks, for example.
    Nothing against importing, but I feel they're way too overpriced. I mean, to pay 550$ for a set of mudflaps?? They're OEM though, but I bet 3/4 of that price is mark-up and shipping.

I doubt the OEM ones will be better in protecting you from chips than the 10$ you can find in your neighborhood autozone.

3M clear protective vinyl could be a nice addition, but from personal experience, a cheap but adequate length mudflap/mudguard is enough for daily commute and occasional mudbath.

But hey, that's why we have democracy, we are free to choose right? I bet the OEM ones will be nice, but I guess I'm just not ready to pay that much for mudflaps. Come to think of it, I could get a complete set of Thule crossbars and luggage carrier for the price for my XLS. But then that's just me.
    With regards to OEM cross rail for the Mitsubishi Outlander (integrated lock + scribbled Mitsubishi logo) as far as I know cannot be acquired in the USA. Your only option is to order a Thule kit or Yakima kit that does not look nice on the Outlander.

You could use the importer in the UK to get one OEM kit and shipped to you. The p/n:
    Aluminum MZ313856 (£135) and Black Steel MZ313842 (£120)

I haven’t seen this type of OEM Crossrail even in the Japanese catalogue, only in the UK accessories catalogue.
    I would agree with rcpax, $500 for a mud guards is way too much. I would’t spend more than $100-120 for a nice set. As far as roof rack, I have Yakima set with round cross bars and fairing. It looks great and fit perfectly. The bars are not sticking out on the sides at all. I can post a picture if you are interested.
  • rhuangrhuang Member Posts: 10
    Hi piast,

Which model of roof rack did you get? I read someone bought the Yakima recommanded model "LowRider" and didn't fit. I'm looking into buying one. Do you have a picture of your car with the rack on it? Thanks.
    Hi rhuang,
    Yakima Low Rider + 48 inch Cross Bars + 38 inch Fairing. Estimated Total $242.10
    and free shipping from rackattack.com. Fit perfectly.
    I will post some pictures over the weekend, when we will be done with the snow. The fairing is a must, a lot of wind noise above 40mph without it, plus it looks good
    @ piast: Do you think the OEM sunroof deflector will do fine in place of the fairing? I already have one installed, so I'm thinking I could probably skip the fairing if I get the roof racks/crossbars.

Here's my Outlander with OEM sunroof wind deflectors:

Hi there;
    It should be enough. You can try it, and decide later. The only thing you would loose, (if you have to buy it ) is free shipping, since it is good on orders over $100 at most sites. The only concern would be a gap between deflector and crossbars, which may allow some air to get around bars, instead of being directed above it. In the other hand, fairing is not much bigger.
    Rhuang, as promised here are the pictures of my Yakima rack with fairing.

are the lock cores for Yakima needed for installation or are they optional. Because when I tried their site, they tried to make it seem like it is a requirement to install the crossbars. I am thinking it is optional, only needed if I wanted added security to the setup so nobody can steal them
    No, they are optional, I don't have them. Installation is very simple, no tools required.
  • mcollismcollis Member Posts: 25
    Just noticed over the weekend that the flared plastic piece along the side bottom (the piece that seems to be responsible for the sandblasting and paint chipping) has been reconfigured on the NEWEST 2008 Outlanders. (i.e., there are 2008 Outlanders with the original flared piece, and now 2008 Outlanders with the newly configured straight piece). Seems as though Mitsubishi has made a correction for the paint-chipping/sand-blasting problems that we've been reporting (which seemed to fall on deaf ears, for the most part). I sure wish they'd recall the piece and replace it with the newly designed piece! Wishful thinking, eh?

Anyone else notice this? Drive by your dealer and you'll see what I mean!
    Here's a link to some photos of the newly designed piece on the latest 2008 Outlanders:

http://allcarsreview.com/2007/12/05/2008-mitsubishi-outlander/

Noticed it at my dealer over the weekend. Calls shall be made to Mitsubishi.
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    Maybe someone can go to a dealer and take pics and then provide shots of their own vehicle showing the sand-blasting. This would permit for an accurate comparison.

No photochops, please. :-P
    I realize that, but it's how the new 2008 US versions look now (with the new configuration along the bottom sides.) No more flare at rear wheel. Saw it myself at my dealer this weekend.
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    I'll try to see if I can head down to a dealer and find a recent-build 08 to take pics similar in perspective to yours. That will give prospective buyers an idea whether or not they may run into the chipping issue you are unfortunately experiencing.
    I know it's of little consolation to you. You are helping others, though, so the good karma will hopefully come full circle. :-)
    Did a little more research and believe that the new (straight) trim appears to be found on the Outlander SE (new model?) only. I have an XLS and have to wonder why this improvement is offered on only one (lesser) model.
  • duncan4uduncan4u Member Posts: 5
    I also have this problem with the chipping. I took it to the dealer and they said this was a problem due to the flairs. The said to put a protective film and mud flaps on for almost $500. If this is a problem and the know about it why are we responsible for this? Can anyone answer that.
    I have filled out a complaint also waiting to hear back. I live in Alberta Canada and we use sand but no salt. I have never bin off road in it just normal city driving.
    If I can't get this resolved from Mitsubishi the local news consumer report watch dog will get a call. My wife said to wear my army uniform and say how they siff a soldier that faught in Afghanistan. It's all how You play the press!!!!!
    It's damage from rocks hitting paint, you're not going to be on 60 Minutes. If you drive in rocky/sandy conditions you need to add extra protection. Get some mud flaps for under $100.
  • jvainejvaine Member Posts: 34
    why would anybody need AWD if you can't use the vehicle in winter or on dirt roads. I can use 2WD in rain if thats the reason you've got one. I've spent over $2,500 to fix & repaint this piece of crap, and you think thats acceptable because your in love with outlander. what make's you so sure somebody wont be on 60 minutes.mitsubishi has a problem it's not right to dump it on the consumer like you believe.
    If it's a piece of crap why do you still own it? How does it feel riding on crap everyday? Fact is ANY car will get road hazard damage over time if not adequately protected. Do you also complain when you get sunburn when you had the option to wear sunblock?
    If it's such a great vehicle why do so few of you feel it so necessary to protect it.as for road hazard the key word's are (over time) not the first month.by the way are selling sun blocker too? now lets just move on you have your opinion I have mine.
    If it's such a great vehicle why do so few of you feel it so necessary to protect it.as for road hazard the key word's are (over time) not the first month.

Few of "us"? Who's "us"?, and do you even have figures to show how many Outlander owners bought mudguards for their car? It doesn't take a genius to figure out the paintwork with get damaged by gravel so I had mine protected early on.

Why did you even buy the Outlander in the first place? Look at Edmund's owner's reviews for the 07 and 08 Outlanders. Ever wonder why it is being independently rated so highly (9.1) by its owners? Now, that doesn't sound consistent with a vehicle you call "crap".
    This IS a legitimate issue for those of us who live where roads are treated for winter driving. Every local Outlander I've looked at displays the same pattern of "sandblasting" and paint chipping. It's a design issue particular to the Outlander because I've driven numerous other vehicles (including 1998 Beetle) on the same treated roads with no such damage. The flaired design + treated roads = sand blasting/chipped paint on the Outlander. Sure killed the "new car buzz." Why do I still own the vehicle? Why would I immediately trade-in a new vehicle for a loss of $$? I'll drive it for a few years, but no more Mitsubishi. Not so much because of the problem, but because of the unwillingness of Mitsubishi to achknowledge and correct. I've added mud flaps and running boards (my expense) and had the back doors repainted (dealer's expense), so maybe we've corrected the problem, but this isn't a great experience no matter how you slice it. Not an issue for you? That's great, but for those of us affected, not so great.
  • busta4busta4 Member Posts: 35
    There is a fair amount of denial on this board about Outlander issues especially by those who are on the Mitsubishi payroll representing themselves as happy go lucky Outlander owners. I have said it before: When you spend just shy of thirty THOUSAND dollars (fully loaded) on a vehicle, a person tends to have expectations.
    When I first started to post my problems with the car I got a few folks who said they doubted I even owned the car, now that is funny. :)
    (Amen) to that. takes all the fun out of owning it.How did you get the dealer to do anything. The running board's work no problem's last winter.
    There is a fair amount of denial on this board about Outlander issues especially by those who are on the Mitsubishi payroll representing themselves as happy go lucky Outlander owners. I have said it before: When you spend just shy of thirty THOUSAND dollars (fully loaded) on a vehicle, a person tends to have expectations.

Such an unfair and generalized statement. You think people who seem to be happy with their Outlanders are denying it? On the payroll? :D You must be smoking some heavy stuff. Well, MAYBE some people in this board doesn't have your problems in the first place. Have you asked yourself that? You make it sound all the problems you're experiencing are present in all Outlanders, which is obviously not the case. When the first crop of Outlanders was having the front end knock issue, I was one of the first few owners who discussed it in great length on this board, until the issue was addressed.

If you have problems with your vehicle,included in your manual is a dispute resolution process you can take to have your issues addressed. How far have you gone through that?
    because some ahole at mitsubishi put the wheel bearings in backward so the dealer said,so I would think they would have to address the problem.That's what they did to mine dec 06.
    How about stone which would hit and crack your windshield (hint- crappy Mitsubishi design, or glass too thin) the second month you own it? How about nail in your tire? Yes, you got it – crappy design, rubber of a poor quality, too soft, you name it. And we all already know, what would be the reason for the scratches on your bumper.
    Are you sure that's what caused it? Hmm, the TSB I'm reading must be wrong then. All of a sudden we're trusting the dealer's words now? :surprise:

They have to address the problem since they are at fault, and they did. If paint chipping from sand and gravel is Mitsubishi's fault, wouldn't you think they would have done the same?

Again, how far have you gone through the dispute resolution process? The whining part wouldn't really get you anywhere.

But yeah, it might do the trick and discourage people from buying the Outlander because you have paint chipping problems from sand and gravel on the roads YOU drive on. Probably those would be the same people that would trust the dealer's words.

You have made known to the world you bought a crap car, and decided to keep the crap (why? afraid to lose a few grand trading in the thing?), and ride on crap everyday. But hey, to each his own. So, happy motoring... or not.
    You guy's don't even get it.What's the point of manufacturer's painting bottom of door's & fender's if it does'nt last a month, might as well leave it bare at least you know what your buying. How many outlander's you sold today.Broken glass & flat tire's that's pretty feeble.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is a discussion for people to give their ownership report. We welcome such reports but don't need flames. People have different expectations and this is as good a place to vent as any. Constructive responses are appreciated.
    What's the point of manufacturer's painting bottom of door's & fender's if it does'nt last a month, might as well leave it bare at least you know what your buying

My Outlander is 1 and a half years since I bought it. I don't have paint chips. So it lasted more than a month, in fact going to the 19th month now. I have bug tar, and rail dust, but no paint paint chips. So it lasted more than a month for me. The point that you don't see is that NOT everybody have your problems. As to the reason why, maybe they bought mudguards/mudflaps.
    I've never felt that ALL Outlanders are experiencing this. But like I said, for those of us who are, it's not fun. Believe me, I know there are worse things in life, but still, when you spend good money, it's tough to see the condition of your new vehicle rapidly decline after only nine weeks. Love the vehicle otherwise, and I'm not about to hurt my own bank account to turn it in at this point. Folks should know, though, what can happen if they are in certain areas of the country. I'm in the northeast, and would not recommend the vehicle to others in this region...unless they don't mind beat up looking paint. (The analogies to broken windshields and punctured tires are not useful. This IS a design problem.)

I've pursued with letters and photos to Japan and CA offices, with lukewarm results. The dealer has come through only because we've been longtime, repeat customers (for the VW side of their business). So we've paid (flaps, running boards) and the dealer's paid (to repaint doors) to remedy this. Just seems wrong.

In a few years, back to VW. The Outlander is not crap. But, for me, there's been a level of disappointment that is not acceptable. Lesson learned.
    I got it right after our cities run out of salt last winter, and start using salt/ sand mix. I found few spots on each side a week later, so I just extended my mud flaps 4" or so. I already took those extensions out, but left original mud guards. No more damage appeared after that, and you really have to look very closely (10-15" from it) to even see those spots. I think I would be able to buff them out. What is the point to paint any panel or bumper which can be scratch or damage even on a parking lot at your mall? I wish Mitsu would install long enough mud guards in a first place. Other than that no problems after 8 months of ownership.
  • rhuangrhuang Member Posts: 10
    This is my first post on my opinion about the outlander, so I'm not one of the "happy go lucky" owner. I got my fully loaded XLS in March 08, so far I am very satified for the purchase in regards to performance, style, and tech-functions. Before I made the purchase, I do worried about the resale value and reliability for Mitsubishi, giving that I had four different Honda in the past 8 years. But my opinion changed after I owned the outlander. Nevertheless, there are small problems (room for improvements) for this CUV, like wind-noise, bad satallite reception, etc... But oeverall I think I got a good bang on the buck.

I first notice the "lack of mudguard" situation after I drove to some watery road. I immediately think about getting a mudguard(I got the OEM one, mainly for looks). I live in Los Angeles, where snow only in the moutains and rain only twenty days in a year. However, I do make snowboarding trips few times a year, which the AWD and V6 come in handy.

All I'm trying to say is that there are improments on every car, people shouldn't blame on the car or even the brand if they don't know how to solve a simple problem by common sense. By the way, my friend drives a BMW M3, and has frenquent electrical problems. I don't see any cars that cost $30k plus should "assume to be perfectly".

I would like to thank many loyal Outie owners that post helpful informations (in other forums too), so I can be more informative on the car.
    I called my dealer about this( paint chipping and sand blasting) He"s taking pic's of my Outlander and sending it into Mitsubishi. They also said to call the 800 # and make a complaint. The more they hear about this the better the chance they may do something(not expecting much). note I have a 1997 CRV with no chipping. But I must say I love driving in my Outlander. I also find this site helpful on getting info about my Outlander.
    Yes do call 1-888-648-7820 also if you have photos send to mmna po box 6014 cypress ca. 90630-0014 have vin# ready for phone call.good luck
    The warranty book has been very specific about it.

I guess it was a good gesture on some dealer's part to even cover the paint job. But if you truly feel this has something to do with Mitsubishi, i don't think it will hurt to try.