Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Gas Mileage

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Oddly enough my trip computer is pessimistic 2/3rds of the time. It's always close, though.
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    These days, components are build by robots... should there be difference in the performance of the vans who are similar in package, i.e. gas mileage, trip computer calculations etc.?
    As automated as they seem, there is still a major human element. Tolerances are probably small, until humans get involved.

Good example - tires are aired up for delivery, then aired down to spec by each dealer when they do the PDI. They forgot mine, so the tires were at 40psi, off by 12.5%. Human error.

That can affect gas mileage, at least a little.

I do think that the biggest factor by far is the driver, though.

I would take turns driving on the NJ Turnpike with my wife. She got better gas mileage simply because she would do 65mph, while I was closer to 75mph.

Once you drive off the lot, there are even more variables, i.e. maintenance performance, type of oil used, type of gasoline used, temperature, how hilly the region is, speeds, etc.
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    One thing that is lost here that may help; recently the government (for what it's worth), has revised MPG estimates (usually downward) to reflect "real world driving" as opposed to the optimal conditions they were testing under before. Now the AWD is rated 21-16. Not too far from what I think most here are seeing for AWD (The FWD #'s were changed too).

Remembering that YMMV, despite what anyone thinks, in most cases their driving style is not exactly what they percieve it to be. Most of us have a little higher opinion of ourselves than we deserve :surprise:

cheers, metmdx
    I think the FWD are now 17/23, something like that.

I do better, but I am trying to be efficient.
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    YMMV is right. I consistently get >10% better milage, on both our cars, than my wife, who always has her right foot pressing something, hard. :surprise:
    My DTE showed 10 Miles.. when I filled the tank it took only 17.5 Gallons only. The tank was suppose to be 20 Gallons. Has anyone filled more than 18 gallons.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have driven about 40 miles after the DTE showed zero. (I was surprised that there was no gas available in Yosemite then the drive to Glacier Point was twice as long as I thought it was.) I didn't fill the tank when I got to the station because it was $3.99 a gallon for 87. Toyota gives you plenty of leeway in their calculations.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I've gotten 26-28 in the last 1,000 miles or so. Not a ton of Interstate either. Two-lane hiway and stop and go. I've got an '06 CE, with no overhead console, so have to figure it on a calculator. I'm itchin' to find out how I'd do with the 3.5L, but just don't have the bucks to trade so soon, as I've already done that a couple times. Takes a while to recover finacially from all that. I bet it's just a wonderful motor!! Anyway, Great mileage lately and just pleased as can be, Gas Mileage wise, with my 2006 CE at 19,980 trouble free miles.
    26.0mpg on my latest road trip.

That's the worst I've done on a highway trip, but we had a 2nd family along for the ride, with luggage, so the load was very heavy.

Last time I got 30.6 mpg on the same trip with just 4 people.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ...some people claim that when adding higher octane (super) mileage improves ove using regular gas....any thoughts on this?...
    YES. Without question with my '06 CE.
    I didn't want to mention this as I thought it sounded dumb, and didn't want to argue with smarter people than me. They are getting easier to find as I get older... :blush:
    ...THAT is only on your mind,I, like you believe what we believ based on our expiriences, but there is always ,at least, one that disagrees based on their..."little" expirience. I have tried the super vs regular and yes I have seen better mileage but on the other hand I have never sat down and do the numbers....is it worth the extra money for in gas for the better mileage?...the jury still out..even thou my gas station attendant (older guy) swears by it
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    I dont recommend it, but more than a few times I have got in the van after my wife or 17 yo had been driving and put over 20 gallons in.I think the manual suggests 1.5 gallons = 25 miles + / - m after the fuel warning light comes on
    ..sorry but I thought we were talking mileage here...
    I get 10% better gas mileage using Premium Unleaded gasoline, compared to Regular. In my area Regular is 87 octane, and Premium is 92 octane. Premium is expensive, but it is not quite 10% more expensive than Regular, so in the long run you do ( i mean to say I DO) save $$ using Premium fuel.
    I also have just the slightest hesitation from a standing start, IF you are turning right or left when starting. This is with Regular Unleaded gasoline, and it does not happen all the time, just every now and then, and when you are taking off rather quickly. Does not happen if you are driving real conservative, or using Premium. This is with my 2006 CE, 3.3 engine. That's my 2 cents worth. :D
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    I'm just gonna go ahead and admit that my way of determining the gas mileage on my '07 CE is totally unscientific... ;) Compared to the '06 Kia Sedona that I previously drove, the Sienna does much better gas-wise. I've only been filling up once every two weeks in the Sienna, where I was filling up every week in the Sedona. And I can't say that my driving habits have changed that much! I am consciously trying not to take off like a jack-rabbit, which I think ticks the people off who're behind me. I also try not to drive too far once the low fuel light comes on, which by the way, is about one of the weirdest things I've seen in a car. It's just a dot, and I'm used to seeing the image of a gas tank. In the Passat I used to drive, it made a really obnoxious beeping noise periodically until you filled up. You talk about gas prices killing you.... it was a turbo, and that meant premium gas. After Hurricane Katrina, I wouldn't let that baby get below 1/2 tank!
    Anyway, I've been enjoying going two weeks between gas-ups. That is a whole lot easier on my poor old wallet! :P
    Drove to CT with the in-laws, 6 people plus luggage, and went 480+ miles on a single tank. Better yet, it only took 18 gallons, so it came out to 26.7 mpg.

I was quite happy considering the heavy load, and we hit heavy traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway, too, else it might have been even better.
  • msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    Just filled up the tank 2nd time - 20mpg. Mostly stop-n-go city driving, and occasionally speeding upto 75-80mph on local freeways. Lots of idling, though, outside the garage and at parking lots, while loading and unloading the babies.

Juice: what was the deal about resetting the computer that displays overall mpg? Sorry I have to ask, couldnt find your post on this one.

Regards, - M.S.
    While you have MPG on display, hold two end buttons on the display together for few seconds until it blinks and will reset. It works while in park or while driving.
    You actually have to be in Park. That confused me the first couple of times. Make sure you're in Park, then it will reset.
    I tried it multiple times while not in park and it works every time.
    Really? Not on my 2007 model. Maybe they changed that for certain model years? Mine absolutely will not work unless it's in Park, even in Drive at 0 mph it fails.
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    I guess I have to eat some of my own crow here. I've had '08 LTD AWD for about a month now (1,200 miles) and the best I can get is about 14.5mpg 50/50 hwy-local.
    My previous vehicle was rated 24/18 under the 'old' system and I consistently got 20.2 +/- driving the exact same routes. Like a fine wine, I'm hoping it gets better with age :confuse: Probably have to have dealer 'flash' computer to see if that helps.

Otherwise great vehicle :shades:

metmdx
  • msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    I am happy with the gas mileage - after 6 fillups and 2,000 miles, I am getting 19.5mpg, mostly local stop-n-go traffic. I have only 2 complains about the minivan now, minor, really - (1) The laser cruise control makes me follow the car ahead with a 50' gap - too large for Dallas traffic - there is no way for me to reduce it. Causes everybody else to cut in front of me, slowing me down even more, unless I step on the gas. (2) The navigation system is a joke, or I am an idiot (the system is not sufficiently idiot-proofed)
    Hi. I just got back from the N. Cal coast. Just under 1,200 miles. Round trip from just South of Seattle. Started in freezing weather, stayed that way a good portion down on I-5. Warm on the coast, in comparison. Mileage was not so good the first part of the drive, 150 miles. 19 mpg. My lowest ever!! I did use the rear air-conditioner as not an air conditioner, but for heat. First time. Cranked up pretty good. Long story, but I was feeling a bit cold and stiff.
    Anyway, the mileage just shot up after that. As high as 30. That's the best I've ever got. Maybe Oregon had different blend, as that's where I kept stopping and topping off. Great mileage. And, the vehicle didn't seem 'too big' to me even one time. That has been an ongoing issue with me. It felt just fine the entire trip. Glad I went. Redwoods looked super (still), and Klamath Overlook was warm and calm enough to get a suntan!! Clear as a bell, too. Cold overnight, though.
    2006 CE, Silver Pine Mica 24,500 trouble-free miles.
    I believe the distance for the laser cruise control is adjustable (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Check in the owners manual for programming instructions.

FWIW, people still complain that even the shortest distance leaves too much space so they get cut off often.

The NAV system in the Solara is supposedly better. People have posted instructions on-line as to how to hack it so that you can program it while the van is in motion.

Sounds unsafe, but when you have someone in the passenger seat, it's perfectly safe, and you should not have to stop for them to enter a new destination.
    Yeah, I did a search and there are 3 settings for the following distance, check your owner's manual to see how to program it. I bet it defaults to the longest (safest?) distance.
  • oekooeko Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just bought a 08 LTD AWD and also only get 14.5. How can they advertise 16-21? I might as well have bought an SUV. I am having the AWD checked out to make sure its not always engaged. Any thoughts?

Thomas
    Are you taking only short drives? When it's cold the engine efficiency is very poor. If your trips are often under 5 miles that would cause a big drop.

Yours is the worst I've heard of, though. Even in this snow, I'm getting 24.9mpg in the suburbs (FWD, though).

Edit: if it makes you feel any better, my FWD struggled just to get up my driveway, and we only got 2" of snow. All-season tires that are new, too.
  • s4f4ms4f4m Member Posts: 19
    oeko,

Isn't the AWD on ALL THE TIME? Just my observation. I did not notice any mention of on-demand AWD, real-time AWD, or AWD when tire slip is noticed.
  • deerechevy20deerechevy20 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 sienna and with plus I get 23 mpg I drive 90 miles round trip on freeway and in town. I would proble get better but I have a flowmaster exhaust on it and it has 210000 miles on it best car ever owned :shades:
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    Guys.... i see we have a bunch of lead footers out there. Start coasting the second you see the light turn yellow, avoid quick off the lines..and be willing to use that cruise as much as possible. Went on a trip, Unloaded, no passengers just me. 65mph all the way. Results, 33.6 mpg 2006 Sienna LE Package #4 has traction & stability control. With those 2 items you dont need an AWD. which btw will use more gas period. My other last small car was a 2004 Civic hybrid, learning how to squueze all the mpg i could is very useful in driving my other cars..Go to Toyota Camry section and read my driving log there.. My last trip from So.Cal to Phoenix @ 65 mph was 40.058 mpg..In my 2003 CAMRY Le 4cyl. Good Luck and drive easier

Caaz

p.s. When my wife drives the Sienna, which is always....even pulling over on the street to talk to girlfriends with the motor running..when i check her mpg its between 20 & 21 always...and she doesnt pay attention to any of that.So i know you can do better... Good Luck
    I'm with you, Caaz. My record is 34mpg, too. I do the same thing - coast to lights and stop signs. Any use of the brakes is energy you wasted, think about it! Actually is wastes gas and the brake pads.

It's gotten very cold so my mileage has taken a hit, but I can still squeeze out 26-28mpg on an average tank.

Even in pure city driving I can eek out 21mpg.
  • adeleon1adeleon1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I have the same problem, I have just bought an 08 awd XLE limited and the best I'm getting is 14 mpg's. I coast going downhill and don't break often, I have another car which I get 23 mpg but it's listed as 18-24, I drive it the same way as I drive the sienna. The sienna is just two weeks old, is the mileage going to get any better? did you get yours fixed? Thanks!
  • gmuigmui Member Posts: 10
    I just picked up my new 2008 AWD Sienna LE last week. I've put a little more than 100 miles on the car and the gas gauge is 1/2 empty. The on board computer is telling me I'm getting 14 mpg like few other AWD Sienna owners have posted.

This is alarming to me because I brought this car to replace my old '97 Chrysler Town & Country LXI AWD minivan. AWD to AWD, I normally get about 18-19 mpg with my old Chrysler; same style of driving, same weather, same gas.

What's up with the Toyota AWD?!

Can other AWD Sienna drivers share their experience?

So far I've only seen people post AWD gas milages in the 14 mpg range. I'm hoping this some how improves and quickly...

Gerald
  • adeleon1adeleon1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I just talked to the service guy in Toyota North, NY where I bought the car and told me it is not unusual to get this mileage for the AWD and for me to wait til the engine breaks in (around 1200 miles he said)

NOT unusual?! 14 miles per gallon?! my big SUV makes 15 miles per gallon that's why I traded it in, and they shouldn't advertise 21 MPG's if it's not true. Anyways I'm contacting toyota warranty services and I'm posting a complaint about the vehicle I got, I'll post what they say.....
    My dealer is telling me to wait till after the first old change in 5,000 miles. I never had a car that requires that kind of break-in.

Also, what I've notice is this car doesn't know how to coast. I normally coast to stop signs and lights, but as soon as I let go of the gas, this thing slows down like a rock.

I have a small hill in my neighborhood, just about 3 - 4 blocks long. Normally, I would take my foot off the gas before I start down the hill when I'm going ~25 and by the time I get to the bottom I would be doing 40 (without gasing at all). With the AWD Sienna, I find I need to gas pretty much the whole way and at the bottom, I'm at 25.

Has anyone notice the same?
    I wish I could get even 18mpg from my new 2008 sienna AWD LE.

I'm just seeing 14 mpg with 80% highway driving. My full size chevy conversion van gives me 16-17 mpg even though it has a monster 5.7 liter V8. How could this little minivan do worst than that is beyond me?!
    Is yours a AWD sienna? If so, what year is yours?

I have a new 2008 AWD and I'm only seeing 13-14mpg and this is worrying me...
    Both axles are engaged so you'll have double the drag, though I'm surprised that the difference is that big. My FWD coasts quite a while before it stops, that's actually how I stretch my gas mileage.
    I'm surprise myself as well.

My other minivan is the AWD Chrysler Town & Country '97 and it doesn't behave this way. It knows how to coast and even though it's old and uses older technology; I average 18-19mpg on it even now.

I don't know if this is a transmission problem with it not clutching in time or what; but given my other AWD Chrysler van, I don't believe the AWD in the Sienna is suppose to kill the gas milage like it does.

Does anyone out there have a AWD Sienna with better than 14 mpg ?!

Please speak up and give us some hope here...
    This is shocking. Is anyone getting decent mileage with an AWD Sienna? I was set to get an AWD 2006 when I was shopping but the drive flat tires and their cost dissuaded me. I've gotten about 26 hwy and 19 city with my FWD 2006. I have noticed that it seems to gear down if I touch the brakes at all while going down hill.
    consider yourself very fortunate that you didn't choose the AWD...

My dealer just left me a message that he is "willing" to let me trade my AWD Sienna for a FWD LE. However, I would have to pay MSRP on the car and then tax, docs and destination charges again.

Oh, for a mere additional $8000+ dollars, I can swap my 6 day old AWD Sienna with a 150 miles on the odometer for a LE model that's worth $3500 less. I can't believe how chartiable my dealer is. Also, he only left me a voice mail after I called him 15 times over two days and he never picked up once.

James Toyota in NJ - don't ever go there!
    Yes, it has grade logic in the transmission and will do that intentionally.

It's for descending a long grade, it will downshift to save you from overheating the brakes going down a tall mountain.

I guess don't tap the brakes else it may stop sooner than you want it to.

What I've observed in about 8 months of driving my FWD is that is likes long drives, highways and country roads, and speeds between 35 and about 65 or so. Much slower or faster and mileage drops. Short trips also hurts mileage. A/C has no noticeable effect, in fact my record tank was with the A/C on.
    I'm sure your mileage will go up over time and as the outside temps warm up. I know that when I was looking people were getting almost as much for used Siennas as the new ones cost so you might be better off selling it yourself.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    Our 04 Sienna Limited AWD with 73,500 miles has averaged about 16.5 mpg over the whole time we have owned it. We have once gotten 22 on the freeway with cruise set at 70. Gas mileage is the only reason we want to trade our 04 Sienna in for an 08 Sienna. If you don't need AWD then you should get a FWD it gets way better gas mileage. what model do you drive, LE AWD, XLE AWD, or a Limited AWD?
    FWIW, I have heard theories that the CE and LE models get better mileage than their loaded cousins.

I'm not sure if I agree, beyond a tiny bit of extra weight causing a very minute difference, but my LE has been better than most, so who knows? :confuse:
    I have the LE model.

Did you also experience very poor gas mileage in the beginning like what I'm seeing now? If so at what point did you obtain improve mileage?

What's the mix of highway/city driving you did when you got your 16.5 mpg.
    Thanks for that tip for selling the Sienna, I just hope AWD Sienna are worth as much as the FWD models...

I have to look at what my 200 mile use Sienna AWD is worth...
This discussion has been closed.