Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Gas Mileage

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited August 2014 in Toyota
Share your mileage numbers with other Sienna owners.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• crusher1crusher1 Member Posts: 9
    I get a consistant 15 Liters / 100 kM
  • penizzlepenizzle Member Posts: 104
    We get 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg in the highway with our 99'. We pamper our car!
  • agilettoagiletto Member Posts: 6
    17.5 in the city and 23 hwy.

AC is always on
  • mkjj123mkjj123 Member Posts: 18
    05 XLE
    15 around town, got 23 on a recent highway trip. Noticed that the odometer is off by about 5%. Drive 10 miles and the odometer reads 9. It's small, but it adds up.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    I get 18MPG in city and 23-26MPG in highway with A/C and DLCC on.
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    I had a new 05 Sienna for one year and my average mileage was 20 mpg. Other than that it was a piece of junk. I got rid of it after one year.
  • hsudoghsudog Member Posts: 29
    Just did a 73 mile highway trip. Averaged 28.8 MPG, including a few slow sections at 45 MPH, as well as 6 stops. Kept vehicle under 60 MPH.
  • richbraverichbrave Member Posts: 8
    16mpg in city and 22-23 highway. A/C always running.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    2006 Sienna LE OVERALL mileage for 8023 miles is 25.6 MPG (do the math: I had put in 313.473 gallons of gasoline by the time the odometer read 8023 miles). :shades: The A/C was running less than half the time.
    On 2 long round trips the mileage was 29.1 MPG and 27.8 MPG. (Trip computer read 29.8 at the end of first trip and 28.9 MPG at the end of the second). The lowest mileage ever when refilled was 18.5 MPG and the highest was 36.0 MPG. ;)
    BTW, the trip computer reads a little higher than mileage calculated dividing miles by gasoline used. The 02 T&C LX trip computer was more accurate than the Sienna is.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I got dead-on 25mpg my first tank. Did drive like a little old lady. Most of the time 1,500 - 2,000 rpm's, and maybe 40% freeway. I'll post again later. That may be a little more real-world. I'm still excited, and couldn't wait to post..... :)
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    Well, FWIW, I must have a heavier foot than most, as I have tracked every tank of fuel I've put in my 2006 Sienna LE (8 seater) over the past year, and over 15,727 miles, I've consumed 839.715 gallons, for an average of only 18.73 mpg. My driving is a combo of city/highway, including typically a 12 mile commute each direction to work each day running 65mph uninterrupted via expressway, and a variety of downtown, stop & go & interstates for the balance...and, for anyone who cares, I averaged $2.52pg along the way.
    -Cobbo
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    I know the AWD gets less than the FWD but shouldn't be that much.
    We got a disappointed 16mpg in avg.
    I am not sure how my wife drives the van but I will consider "normal" driving with 70% freeway. Don't know why and what to do to improve the mpg. any idea?
    Maybe the run-flat tires?
    I'm on my second tank, and it doesn't look like I'm going to get 25mpg this time. Looks closer to 20, but haven't refilled yet. Just figure 20 gallons at 20 mpg = 400 miles, so I was looking for 200 miles when it hit half-a-tank. Had to back off the gas to get to 200, so not as good as first tank. Will wait a few weeks and post again. I drive at least 400 miles a week, so should have an idea by then. I do know that my last vehicle got worse mileage in the winter, and we are not that cold here. My previous Toyotas before that, all bought new, had manual trannies, and the mileage was the same all year??
  • kbinsturnerkbinsturner Member Posts: 4
    I'm getting 18.8 according to the computer in the car, mostly city driving. 14k miles on the vehicle. AC is always on. (it's Texas, y'all)
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    We just took a trip on only our third tankful, mostly highway miles but some stop & go thrown in. Seven passengers (three of them kids). Got 24.1 MPG by actual calculation, I think that's pretty good. The trip computer is showing 21.1 average MPG right now, up from 14 when we first bought the van.

Dave
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    In mostly city drivng here in Northern Virginia I am not even averaging 18 mpg based on the trip computer. I am expecting things to get better once the vehicle breaks in.
  • bmwk75sbmwk75s Member Posts: 21
    We just picked up a 2006 LE AWD. Filled the tank twice now and was a bit disappointed with the 15 mpg. I asked the dealer about break-in, but he said there really isn't one and to drive it like normal. I'm hoping it gets better. Other than the MPG I love the van.
  • toyogirltoyogirl Member Posts: 1
    Toyota's Sienna (from at least 2003 and newer) have a chip in the system that 'learns' the driver's habits the first 7K miles on the vehicle. You will see a better idea of what your MPG will be after this first 7K miles. In fact, after the initial chip 'break-in', if you switched to a heavy-footed driver (or Granny-Driver), you would not see a valid 'change' in the MPG until several thousand miles later when the chip again 'learns' the newest driver's habits.
    My 2005 gets about 20.1 - 20.5 (highway and city) figured out every time I get gas. I've got 33K miles. It's a FWD. This is higher than the overhead digital thingie shows. Long trip (went to Seattle from Dallas this past summer)....fully loaded....kids and all that crap...and got between 25-26....thru the mountains, trading off drivers, 80+ MPH and craploads of traffic during some unknown town's 'rush hour'. Great touring car. Not cute...but you can't have cute when you have kids.... Six more years...when the last one's out.....RX8 here i come.
    I haven't taken a trip, or run a tankful or even half tank, freeway only yet. That is very unusual for me, as I love to cruise the Hiway/Interstate. Am running 50-50, or 60-40, street-hiway. Just under 3,000 miles, getting
    21-22 mpg so far. Quiet and smooth, but am a bit red faced about a few times have had to pull out and back in again to park properly. :blush:
    Overall average at 9,200 miles is now 24.6 MPG...down 1 MPG from 25.6 MPG at first of October. :cry:
    One long round trip was 28.8 MPG and another was 27.8 MPG. Best with 2002 T&C LX was 28.2 MPG for a round trip to and from the same places.
  • mazdax605mazdax605 Member Posts: 89
    Hey hansienna,

I have no idea where you live,but in the north east,and other parts of the country they gasoline providers mix the fuel different from summer to winter.This will drop your mileage some,and also with the denser winter(read cooler) air you will be making more power,and therefore using more fuel.

Chris
    06 Sienna LE(hers)
    78 Mazda RX-7 GS
    74 Mazda RE/PU
  • jimoasejimoase Member Posts: 4
    We have 12K+. The car's computer says 22.2. Most of our driving has been triping at 70mph+ or city driving the Mesa area. We are really satisfied with the mileage because most of our driving has been in tough conditions for getting good gas mileage.

Our only knock about this vehicle is the driver and passenger arm rests not being adjustable. We are in discussion with Toyota hoping the result will be usable arm rests.

Jim
  • mleonardomleonardo Member Posts: 45
    I must have a lemon. My 05 AWD limited gets no better than 17.5 according to the van's computer. I have 23,000 miles on it and it sucks gas. I can't understand how other people are getting 23-26 mpg. My van is nowhere near that and I am not holding my breath for better numbers at 23,000 miles.
    Hello All. Just got back from a 1,900 mile trip. Did a fair share of two-lane roads, including a huge amount of 15 mph corners on Hiway 1 from the Redwoods to the North end of the Golden Gate, among others. Why I am posting is because I got what I would consider GREAT mileage!! Low of 20, which was less than half a tank, and a high of 30 mpg, which was more than once! Most common mileage figure was 26-28, with the nod going to the 28. I could go on and on and give details, but just want you to know this is a true story, and not about 55-60 mph no-grade freeway driving..:)
    This is the kind of mileage I was hoping for when I purchased the van, as my other new Toyotas (4) since 2001, all 4 cyl, 2 w/auto 2 w/manual, regularly exceeded the window sticker. I was starting to wonder about the Sienna (22-23 has been the norm), especially with gas being so high. Seattle area is even higher than most. I use Premium, too. $3.50 per gallon up this way today...:(
    Have 10,750 on the Odometer now.
    Congratulations. My 2006 Sienna LE got 29.5 MPG on the last round trip compared to 28.8 MPG on same trip last year. I set the cruise at 66-67 MPH when on the road but obviously must drive 75-80 MPH when on the Los Angeles metropolitan area freeways.
    It now has a 24.2 MPG overall average for 11,600 miles. It got as low as 13.1 MPG in the very cold weather when there was no open road driving. The very best it got was 36.0 MPG at 55 MPH during a round trip test on an almost flat portion of highway.
    I use 85 octane in the Rocky Mountain area (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah), put 91 octane in when I get to lower altitude and then use 87 octane until we get back to the high altitude.
    All of the above mileage is calculator computed. The overhead trip computer reads an average of about 1 % higher than the calculated mileage. :shades:
    Forgot to mention, mine is a 2006 CE. I've had the windows tinted, put on the little Toyota plastic splash/mud guards, both on first day I had it, last Nov. The latest, and probably last, is the chrome exhaust tip. Made me feel 10 years younger! :D
  • horn412horn412 Member Posts: 9
    I'm right there with you on the lousy gas mileage. I have the 2006 LE and in the beginning had pretty good mileage. Then it started getting worse which correlated with an accelerator/brake sensor issue that Toyota repaired. Mileage improved. Now, all of a sudden my mileage is around 13 MPG!!!! (according to computer) It seemed to be revving while braking, so I took it in. They claim no problem and that the computer is not so accurate. (unrelated--computer is also not giving me the idiot light on low fuel until it says I have about 6 miles left) Weather cooled down and I kept track of mileage "the old fashioned way" and it correlated with computer 17 MPG (all city and I have a heavy foot)and I did not have the revving issue. Now it's warmer and mileage is around 14-15 MPG. That's with some highway driving thrown in. The revving issue has returned as well. Thus why I'm on the boards looking for an answer. :) OH, and I live just north of the Mexican border in Texas, so our fuel does not change with the seasons.
    I can't help. Wish I could. The 17 all-city mpg, with a lead foot, sounds right. Hope you find some ideas. I owned a 2001 Camry CE w/5sp manual tranny. My sister has it now. Runs like new, at 93,000 miles. I had it for 60, 000 then passed ot on. It is using a quart of oil every 1,250 miles or so. No leaks, doesn't blow smoke, runs great....... I checked the boards and couldn't find anything, so your post about wanting an answer kinda hit home. Good luck, 13mpg is downright unfair! :lemon:
  • wsurfwsurf Member Posts: 15
    My new Sienna's odometer is inaccurate. I started noticing the problem several days after i bought it as i was measuring coming routes that i have taken for years. This was part of my review for checking the gas mileage. I noticed that i had more mileage on the car when i went to the gas pump than from my previous car. Instead of saying the old car was correct and the Sienna is inaccurate, i went to mapquest and google earth to get some local addresses and see the distance in miles. I tried to pick landmarks/addresses that were relatively distant (more than 30 miles) to increase the accuracy - i would do out-and-back trips in the Sienna to make the measurement. It seems that the odometer on my new Sienna is off by 13 to 14 %. Its showing MORE mileage than i have actually travelled - the worse problem to have with an inaccurate odometer.

I do not know if this is a warranty issue but is there anything that i can do or expect Toyota to correct on this minivan??
  • dugguduggu Member Posts: 6
    I got a 2007 Limited couple of months ago. I have about 2000 miles on it now and I am only getting 14-15 MPG. I live in LA area and it's mixed city driving but I feel 15 MPG is too low even for a city like LA with a lot of highways. I even use 91 octane gas most of the time.

Any suggestions ?
  • jgroves1945jgroves1945 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2007 Sienna Limited FWD and now have around 1500 miles. the best mileage I've gotten to date was 18.1 mpg after 3 hours of interstate driving with cruise control set to 62. I get around 17.5 in combined city/hwy driving. Some on her report gettin in low to mid 20s in combo driving and high 20s to low 30s for hwy driving. others report under 20mpg hwy. This is a huge disparity. i complained to the dealer, but got nowhere.
    Does seem a bit low. Hang in there. Does So Cal have a different blend of gas, to help lessen air pollution? Or is that just in the winter, like most places?
    I get good mileage, but also work at it. I think lots of people would just consider that not worth the effort.
    Examples; first and biggest, IMO - slow down using light or no gas pedal, rather than the brakes.
    Take a wide arc on corners/turns, again using a light foot and no brake, and even going into the other lane slightly if nobody is around.
    Stuff like that. Hiway trips kinda take care of themselves, but you still need do a little work.
    I'm getting 22-23 around home, 60-40, maybe 50-50 street, hiway. 26-28, mostly just slightly over 28, on freeway trips. And that's driving using the kinda a**l stuff mentioned above. Almost always....
    These are pretty nice vehicles. It's too big for me, as I'm almost always alone, no cargo. Was already thinking of trading in on a '08 Scion XB, but will take a HUGE hit $$ wise on the trade. And, I like this one better every day!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Something is strange. Have you measured your mileage the old fashioned way by doing the math yourself? Our 2006 immediately got 26 on the freeway at 70-74mph and 19-20 in the city.
    I had posted earlier about the same problem and have been to the dealer twice since then. Was given the "computer learns the driver" excuse, but I have 12,000 miles on it. Then I was told that the computer wasn't the most accurate measure of gas mileage--they got that right--it's way too generous! My mileage is actually worse, and highway miles do not help it.

The herky jerky problems I'm having they say is because I'm not used to the new "drive by wire" (is that right?) accelerator. Update to my previous post--the weather isn't the factor in my herky jerky, it is the AC--anytime I have it on max it is awful! It will even jerk while on the highway with the cruise on--so much that my passenger looked at me and said "what was that?" We are going to try a different dealer when we go on vacation and see what they can come up with. If it keeps up, I'm going to have to go with a Honda, just because I can't stand our Toyota dealer! :(
  • peraltaperalta Member Posts: 94
    180 miles total on my 2006 Sienna LE 8 passenger (rated 26 MPG highway). I Average 30 mpg with speeds up to 75 MPH. No grandma style driving. I used cruise most of the time including acceleration and deceleration. I incrementally tapped the cruise to increase or decrease speed. One tap up or down equals a speed change of 1 MPH. If you space the tapping far enough, the transmission will stay in 5th gear (it will not down shift).

I also noticed that I can do highway mileage of 33 MPG on my highlander hybrid (rated at 27 MPG highway).

I can also do a similar 30-33 MPG on my outback on the highway (rated 28 MPG highway).

I think the bottom line is how sensitive your are in conserving energy when driving and take advantage of gravity and hills. If I see a downhill anywhere in front of me, I wait until I arrive at the start of the downhill before I accelerate to speed.

If I am about to encounter an uphill and I drive an automatic gear box, I press the gas but not far enough to cause a downshift. If the top gear is too tall, I don't press further since it will downshift, I will just let the speed decrease to its terminal velocity in top gear.

If I am driving my Highlander hybrid (CVT), I just set the cruise control to the speed limit on uphill climbs and then go back to just above the speed limit on level roads.

I used the car's trip computer, scan gauge, and compared them to actual hand calculations. So my trip computer readings and scan gauge readings are corrected based on the hand calculations for each of my cars.

All my 3 cars have scan gauges. 2 of them have trip computers. None of them are perfectly accurate. The toyota's tend to be conservative in their readings. The Subaru tend to be very optimistic.

Another thing, aerodynamic drag is a fuel economy killer above 55-60 MPH. Fuel consumption increases exponentially above those speeds.

I usually begin the trip with speeds above the speed limit just like everybody else. Then I gradually slow down to the speed limit near the end of my trip.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    On a trip this weekend to Six Flags.

I'm happy because the engine is still very green - just 1300 miles. I hope it improves as it breaks in.
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    All modern passenger cars have a "mass airflow sensor" so the engine still gets the correct amount of air and fuel in winter. The significant increase in fuel use in winter (decline in mpg) is due to a combination of longer warmups from cold start in cold weather, worse traction on wet or icy roads, more traffic congestion due to inclement weather, greater air density in cold weather causing increased aerodynamic resistance at highway speeds.
    I'm beginning to think they have two different types of Sienna's--those with good mileage and those with horrid mileage. There is absolutely no reason why I shouldn't be getting better mileage--we have no hills, (the exception being overpasses, but I don't do much highway driving) we have no traffic, and while I'm not the softest on the pedal, I'm not a huge lead foot either. In the winter, I don't have to warm my car--I run the AC about 10 months out of the year. I average 40 mph in most of my driving with few traffic lights. Why in the world am I getting 14 mpg!!! :mad: Even on road trips, we have never gotten better than 23, and that is with cruise control and when the van was brand new. It has gotten progressively worse. The oil is changed when it should be, and I'm about to put my third air filter in it. She is not neglected by any means.
  • peraltaperalta Member Posts: 94
    1. FWD models are more economical than AWD
    2. Add more air to the tires. I have 36 front, 34 rear.
    3. I use toyota synthetic 0-20 oil
    4. Any speed below 35 or above 65 destroys fuel economy.
    5. Keep speed as steady as possible. Frequent speeding up and slowing down kills fuel economy.
    6. Do not accelerate on uphills but keep a steady speed or let the speed slowly drop in order to avoid downshifts.
    7. Use downhills to speed up, that's free energy for acceleration.

I am able to comsistently get 28-30 MPG from point A to B (highway trips). That is using my scan gauge and the toyota's trip computer. Those readings are cross checked by hand calculations for each refill at the pump.

However, reality sets in. We cannot avoid traffic congestions, intersections and traffic lights. At the time of refill I only get 22-24 MPG.

That is where the Toyota Hybrid system comes into picture. My highlander hybrid consistently gets 30's MPG per tank regardless of traffic condition.
    On a short trip for July 4th. All back roads, lights, hills, curves.

She seems to prefer a flat, straight highway over curvy hills.
  • krimamkrimam Member Posts: 3
    I bought recently 2007 SIENNA LIMITED FWD and on my own second fill up (after finsihng the dealer filled tank and my own fist fill up) i calculated using the miles driven/fill up gas = 19.01 miles on all local driving with stop signals and almost 25 to 55 speeds to and from office and to hospital (for my new baby visits).
    I never exceeded 2.5 on rpm meter during these drives. Haven't tried the HWY yet. Will post you next fill up mileage as it is due.
    That's not bad, sounds like short trips, no highway driving.

Once you let it open up a bit I'm sure that will improve rather quickly.
  • beeman4ubeeman4u Member Posts: 34
    Just purchased this 2 weeks ago and Gas!! Oh my goodness
    This is a BIG concern of mine. We had a SUV and purchased this mini van for the better gas mileage and space. Thus far, all we've gotten was "space" In the two weeks, I've had 2 fill ups and only pulled 200-250 miles per tank at a 21 gallon tank. That avg ~12mi/gallon. This is insane!! I'm really considering selling this vehicle and going back to an SUV or the 2008 Highlander Hybrid. Are anyone else having this problem or is there anything I can do to "salvage" this purchase? ALL RECOMMENDATIONS WELCOMED!
    I'm having problems as well,(see previous posts) and I have the FWD. Peralita posted to increase the air in the tires to 36 front and 34 rear, and while it's only been a tank, this has helped somewhat for me.(I'm up to about 16.5) My dealer, for whatever reason, had my tires at 30-32 (no, they hadn't lost air, this is the PSI they told me when I asked them about it--since it seemed low to me) I have the 100,000 mile tires. I can suggest you ask the dealer to hook it up to the computer and check the sensors for the accelerator--I did have an issue with that. Even with the AWD you shouldn't be getting such awful mileage. If you find a solution, please post it.

Sarah
    I was surprised but when I read the manual it called for 35psi in all tires. Make sure the pressure is up there.

YMMV, as they say, and if you sit there idling you get 0 mpg. Do enough of that and anyone will get lousy mileage.

Are you doing short trips? Efficiency is lousy before the engine warms up. Try combining errands if you do lots of short trips, that way the engine is already warm.

What do you get on the highway, instant MPG, at 65 or so? It should be at least mid 20s.
    Thanks for the feedback. I will ask the dealer to check the sensors. When I bought it, I noticed the ride wasn't smooth at all. I checked the tire pressures and they were off, badly. LF 32, RF 27, LR 17, RR 15..Next day I was back to the dealer. They properly inflated and I properly double checked their work, we were good, all of this was last week. I'll check them again today. At these low mileages and if this continues, there is NO WAY I can see paying this type of money $30+K and not be satisfied, might as well stayed with the SUV. I'll continue to update
    What are you up to now? I bought recently 2007 SIENNA XLE AWD and on my second fill up (after finishing the dealer filled tank and my own fist fill up) i calculated using the miles driven/fill up gas = 12.00 miles on all local driving with stop signals and almost 25 to 55 speeds.

Awaiting your next mileage post
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    I just picked up LE. The gas tank was full when I picked up from dealer. The computer showed DTE 275 miles. That seems too low for 20 Gallon tank, what do you think... I know these are not trustworthy... but this seems too low, what do you think???
    I calulate my mileage manually, I think it's more accurate. My car, 06 Avalon, computer calulations are pretty close but its off as well.
    I have NEVER seen the DTE on my 2006 Sienna LE read as low as 275 miles. It often reads over 500 miles. IF your Sienna has very few miles on the odometer, the DTE 275 miles would be based on the mileage it initially got before having been driven on the highway.
    I just checked my Sienna (filled the tank this morning) and it now reads DTE 501 miles. The AVG 28.0 MPG since it was last zeroed 1573.2 miles ago. My Sienna now has an OVERALL average of 24.7 MPG for the 15,345 miles it has on the odometer (manual calculation of miles driven by gallons of gasoline used). :shades:
This discussion has been closed.