Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Caliber Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said:

Hi!
    I am having the same driver door latching problem. I have come back to my car a few times to find the door open!
    I check every time I leave now....Have you checked with the dealer on this yet and if so...any results?

Have exactly the same problem - think it shut but it didn't. About one in 20 or one in 40 slams it happens. I took it to the dealer and complained twice, but the dealer can't duplicate condition so they won't open the door to explore and make sure there are no "serious" issues. Let's see if some other people report this issue so Chrysler will acknowledge it and investigate. They've been pretty good about TSB'ing issues if they hear enough about them.

The next step is for both of us to call our respective Customer Care lines and report the issue so it's in their computer.

Apart from being annoying, which isn't really that serious, I am worried that one day it won't latch at all, even on the third or fourth slam, then what do I do?
    Judging from the RPM (you reported 3,500 at 80 mph), I'd guess that the stick shift version of the Caliber is probably closely derived from the Euro version of the Caliber.

I say this because my 2001 and 2004 VW Golf's followed a similar philosophy of high rpm at interstate speeds - although they were all the way up to 4,000 rpm at 80 mph.

Keeping the revs "in the hunt" (as opposed to having a higher 5th gear for better mpg) gives you much better responsiveness at freeway speeds without having to downshift. More of a "driver's profile" than a "soccer mom" profile.

On the other hand, this 1.8 (as do the other World Engines in this family) makes its peak horsepower very high in their rpm scale, rather than hitting a peak a 1,000 or so rpm early then dropping off. In other words, the engine pulls a solid 148 horsepower, but you have to take it to redline (or at least to the higher rpm range) to benefit. And this well-designed engine does pull, oh so willingly, towards redline. Taking it up to 80 in 3rd is no problem. Much smoother than the old 2.0 in the Neon, than the 2.2 in the Chevy (Ecotec), and stronger, if not smoother, than the 2.0 in the Focus (Duratec).

So the engine is quite Jekyll/Hyde. If you lug it, the way I drive most of my stick shifts - shift early - it feels lightly powered compared to a Cobalt or Focus or old Neon. BUT if you wind it out, the power comes on (nice VVT, thanks Mercedes!) and you get your zippy acceleration.

This might explain why the city mileage is high (28 mpg, EPA short shifting) and the highway mileage is "low") (32 mpg, only 1.8 but pulling higher rpm than you see on the Focus/Cobalt in 5th gear).

In short, Euro tuned. Nice!

(Brute 0-60 times don't tell the whole story - they are based on unrealistic driving habits - high rpm, drop the clutch, try to pull only one shift between 0-60. This car isn't as paper quick as the Cobalt, but feels very lively in real world street and freeway and mountain driving. Apparently the SE gets the "touring" suspension - but not wheels/tires - as the SXT, so you aren't sacrificing suspension tuning on the budget model either. The 1.8 isn't out of place in the stick shift version, as I'd feared, given this vehicle's weight class.)
    Thanks to a couple of road trips from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and a healthy freeway commute, I’ve managed to rack up an impressive number of miles on my new Caliber SE in a short period of time.

I am impressed by the engineering, design, and thoughtfulness that goes into this bargain-basement priced car. I can’t speak for the CVT (automatic) version with the slightly larger, slightly more powerful 2.0 engine, but this combination of 1.8/5 speed stick shift/“touring suspension” feels more European spec than American apple pie.

For example, 1.8 liters is downright small for American compact cars these days. The Focus has long been at 2.0 liters; the Neon, the Caliber’s predecessor in the Dodge food-chain, was 2.0 liters; and the Chevy Cobalt is 2.2 liters.

But oh, what a smooth, quiet, perky 1.8 liters this is. Unlike the others, the Dodge engine has variable valve timing, reportedly a sophisticated system from Dodge's parent, Mercedes. And the rest of this engine, co-developed with Hyundai and Mitsubishi, seems pretty advanced too. It’s not clear from the published literature whether the 1.8 has the same dual counterbalancing shafts found in the 2.0 and 2.4, but it certainly feels like it – this motor is much smoother than the 2.2 Ecotec (also a recent international effort, although in Chevy’s case mostly engineered by Saab with input from GM North America and Opel from Germany). It doesn't jerk you back in your seat, but before you know it you are flying.

Surprisingly, the 1.8 has decent torque – comparable to the 2.0 Duratec in the Focus although higher in the rpm curve – and excellent horsepower – about the same as the much larger 2.2 Ecotec in the Chevy Cobalt – and a long power curve. It cruises very smoothly and quietly at 80 mph; the engine doesn’t feel or sound like it’s over revving, even though it’s moving at a good clip. Gas mileage seems to be excellent – about 31-32 mpg on my freeway work commute, about 29 mpg at sustained interstate speeds down to L.A. (less mileage at sustained high speeds due to the larger profile this car cuts through the air than smaller vehicles like the Neon and new Honda Civic).

The manual transmission isn’t up to the excellent Honda Civic or fine Ford Focus standards, but it is a lot better than the Chevy Cobalt, and is easy to match gears for smooth shifts.

Finally, the handling is somewhere between firm and supple – definitely not the mushy suspension American car makers are used to giving their American drivers in these small cars, when they aren’t giving them rock-hard, unforgiving suspensions; and the steering is hydraulic, with much better feel than the electric steering in the Cobalt. The Focus remains the gold standard for steering feel and handling, but I’d easily take (and did take) the extra space, extra doors, and additional body stiffness in the Caliber over the slightly long-in-the-tooth Focus (the new Lancer, which uses the same chassis design as the Caliber, is praised by Edmunds for its stiffness, which makes for better handling with a slightly softer suspension – hence the good ride AND good handling).

Until the Astra comes out from Saturn – a European-designed compact to replace the Ion – I don’t think the Caliber has much competition in terms of price-performance-roominess(BTW, the Astra is getting the 1.8 vvt version of the Ecotec instead of the non-vvt 2.0 version, which results in the same horsepower but possibly better mileage – at least a rev happy set up instead of a torque happy, lower rpm set up). But I don’t think the Astra will be nearly appealing in terms of efficiency of packaging as the Caliber - it seems to follow the low-seating arrangement still popular in passenger cars, vs. the Caliber's higher, more space-efficient seating position. The Caliber isn’t half a car (good front seat room/no rear seat room). It’s a whole car (you can carry 4 adults, not just 2 adults + 2 kids). Most of its competition really falls into the “half car” format – room for 2 kids in the back, but too tight to really be comfortable for adults. So the Caliber has a special niche.

Did I mention that the Caliber is available AWD? Did I mention that the SE has the right combination of standard features (unless you are insane enough to forego aircon as an option) to be both usable and affordable? (E.g., it still has a good cd sound system, mp3/auxiliary plug; center console, etc.)

Dodge still hasn't contacted me about the quality control issues I have with my sample ("c" pillar rattle; driver's door that doesn't always latch; and engine that occasionally drops rpm and stumbles when coming to a stop). However, I feel pretty confident (based on ownership of past Doddge and Chrysler compact cars) that for cars assembled 11/06 or later, there should be many fewer initial defects. The PT Cruiser was unusually defect free from the start; the Caliber appears to be a little buggy, but not fatally so.

On the other hand, this car has a much higher quality feel than my Cobalt, comparable to larger Dodges. So the quality issue balances out even with the apparent bad sample I got.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Try opening any window and then closing the problem door. If there is no door problem with a window open, you have a great air tight vehicle which is not bad.
  • tapp3tapp3 Member Posts: 12
    Less than a year ago actually 9 months ago I purchased an '02 VW Passat. It was the car I'd always wanted, the one that was my NIGHTMARE! In that nine months I dropped $5000 at least on repairs to a car with less than 50,000 miles.
    So to make a long story short, the VW repair guy in my town (who should have been making the payments since he kept it more than I did) called to say it was at last being released from being held hostage, of course the ransom note made me nearly claim to really not be the true owner.... So as soon as I pick the VW up I drove straight to the Dodge/Chrysler dealer. Thank god I could say it was running good. I look at a Jeep Compass and the Caliber. The exact same interior BUT the road noise was next to nothing in the Caliber. That is my biggest peeves! Then as an added bonus there was quite a bit of price difference. So I walked away with my new Caliber and I love the color. I've only put 150 miles on it, and I love to drive it. I only wish I'd paid more attention to see that it didn't come with the cruse control on my model.
    I am expecting to have a long and happy relationship with my new car. :shades:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Just rented a brand spankin' new Caliber, base engine, automatic SXT and I agree with some of the owners here....the car rides well, very solid, handles pretty good for what it is....but it is pokey....I think if I were to own one with the base engine, I'd opt for the manual transmission, definitely.

I find the beeping remote lock very annoying...a bit of blind spot on the right side requires careful attention. Pretty comfortable seats though.

The automatic takes some getting used to, especially when you're passing someone....lots of sound and fury but the poor thing seems to need a minute to make up its mind. I'd probably get used to it, though.

Can't tell about the fuel mileage yet.

All in all, the Caliber seems to be a good value at this price point, in the SXT configuration.
  • habalanchehabalanche Member Posts: 57
    FYI You can turn off the beeping with the remote entry.I Did for the same reason.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well I'll let the next renter worry about that, but thank you for the advice! :P

I have to say I'm having a little trouble with this automatic transmission...it's kind of a "one and TWO and DOWNSHIFT"

I like the cell phone holder a lot. Can't find the dimmer for the dash lights, though.

I know, I know...look in the owner's manual....but gee, that's something that you shouldn't have to fish for.
  • caliberred1caliberred1 Member Posts: 7
    The dimmer switch is the last ring on the light controller. The one that is closest to the dash. It also controls turning off/on dome lights.
    I got the PCM (power control module) reflashed yesterday at the dealer, and now it is much easier to pull away from a stop. I was having a problem stalling the motor because the "tip in" on the throttle wasn't aggressive enough - basically when I tried to give it a little extra gas, it wouldn't get the extra gas, which resulted in me using too much throttle sometimes on pulling away.

You see, our cars are governed more by the computer programming than by the sparkplugs, condenser, points, and coil, the traditional "tune up" points (wait - condensers and points have long been history). Even throttle bodies are moving to electronic, micro-motor control instead of cable control, which means the amount you move the throttle pedal doesn't correspond, necessarily, to the throttle position in the throttle body.

The computer "map" also governs the amount of fuel injection, timing, and variable valve timing, where the vvt system is sophisticated enough to respond to throttle and load, and not just rpm.

So essentially my Caliber got a "brain transplant" yesterday, and it either (i) performs much better, if you are an enthusiast, or (ii) doesn't feel any different, if you are numb.

Although I gave the engine smoothness high marks before, now its smoother, but even better, it "lugs" much better - there seems to be a lot more torque at the lower rpm. Before, the engine didn't come into its own until you revv'd it up. Now, I can pull from 20 mph in third, cruise at 30 in fourth. At the same time I can easily run it up to 50 mph in second gear. It just feels more willing and comfortable - a lot more like the 145 hp specs would indicate (but it only has 129 lb-ft of torque, small motor after all).

I've hear from other forums that getting the motor flashed reduces fuel consumption slightly. I'll report back on that later. For now, my commuter mileage has been consistent at 31-32 mpg per fill up, but my SF-LA mileage shot up to an average of 31 mpg on my last trip - no "aerodynamic penalty" this time. I attribute the better mileage, despite higher speeds (and hence more air resistance) to break-in.

I changed my oil at 2,500 miles (Motorcraft 5-20, a fine synthetic blend and the cheapest for 3,000 mile oil changes) and at 5,000 miles (Pennzoil Platinum, the cheapest full synthetic and easily good for 5,000 mile freeway driving). I will change the oil next at 10,000 miles and rotate the tires.

I still have a c-pillar rattle, and both front doors periodically refuse to latch, bouncing off the posts until I pull the door handle out slightly to disengage whatever is stuck. Chrysler has a door latch recall for the new Avenger, but apparently overlooked the Caliber.

Getting the motor "re-programmed" makes me happier about the car. With 7,200 miles it doesn't seem like anything major is going to go wrong, and eventually I'll grind away at the warranty department and get the door latches and c-pillar rattle fixed (I didn't want to overwhelm the service manager at the new dealer I selected with too many issues at once, when I went in yesterday).

Chrysler is working hard to address problems. They have a new March 12 TSB that addresses both driveability concerns and oil pressure flickering - this time they replace some portions of the oil delivery system. So clearly their engineers are in the field looking at things. I think for cars with a post March build date they should be pretty trouble free. I applaud Chrysler for making running production line changes, not waiting until '08.

For prospective new owners, I highly recommend:

1. Drive one yourself - all online reviews are woefully out of date, the car has improved that much.

2. Look at the label on the front door panel for the build date - make sure you drive and buy a "recent" (post March) build date car. You'll be less likely to have to visit the warranty department.

How do I rate the car? Pretty highly. I am seriously interested in trading in for an '08 Caliber next spring, maybe moving up to an SXT or even a 2WD R/T (I'd like the larger motor, though I have qualms about the possible stiffness of the suspension in the R/T).

On the other hand this aircon, stick shift, basic SE for 12,988 is a steal at that price.
  • daveydodgedaveydodge Member Posts: 23
    I believe you are correct on all accounts..I have had no problems with my SXT which I ordered last April and received last August. It has 12,800 miles on it with synthetic motor oil and 2.0L automatic..I am getting 28-29 mpg on a consistent basis. Far from a race car but I knew that going in and for the price and all the features and the outside styling...how can you beat the price??..Yes, there is a bit too much interior plastic but the good far outweighs the bad on this trendy crossover with I believe over 67,000 units sold in 2006!! Micweb did a great job with his Caliber talk and I think Dodge did well...look at the Ford Edge, Mazda CX7 and others with similar styles but much more expensive....similar to the truck industry all following Dodge in the Dakota and Ram designs. Dodge takes criticism, but they are creative and innovative!!
    Thanks, and thanks for the gas mileage report. I may well get the CVT in my next Caliber so my wife can drive it occasionally. It's good to hear the CVT can return good gas mileage with careful driving.
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Hey guys this is an interesting link on GEMA global engines co-developed by Daimler-Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi.

http://www.gemaengine.com
  • burritomakerburritomaker Member Posts: 3
    I wonder if all caliber models come with engine cover,because mine does not,,sales man said "I do not Know" Is this trick to buy it separately? :(
  • bigtsrbigtsr Member Posts: 149
    DC stopped delivering Calibers with the plastic
    engine shroud about 3-4 months ago and your right,
    if you want one now they are about $40.00
    Four Stars out of five from an honest and satisfied owner. After 17,200 mainly highway miles, all is well. Suggestions for future models are as follows...more firewall insulation to reduce engine noise, different tires to reduce road noise, a bit more power but not a big deal, less plastic on dash area, better visibility around car, and cushioned arm rests. Most of these ideas are somewhat trivial but would increase perception and value of the Caliber. For the price, looks and features the Caliber is indeed hard to beat and I would buy another one. Easy upgrades and options that are affordable such as chrome door handles, fog lights, mudflaps, silver grill, chrome gas cap all make the Caliber look sharp and it is a definite eye catcher driving down the street!! Like the hauling capacity and flexibility also and getting 29-30 mpg with synthetic oil on my 2.0L CVT engine.
  • nonnemachernonnemacher Member Posts: 98
    I have the plastic cover, but have noticed a few pix of Calibers for sale on eBay without them recently. I'm not sure what it is supposed to do exactly... I take it off when I change the oil to make sure I don't drip any oil on the outside of the valve cover. Its easy to take off but not very easy to get back on correctly :confuse:
    The cover(at least mine) is insulated on the bottom side
    and seems to provide some noise abatement.
    Mine is usually covered in dust and dirt so I clean it weekly and I guess it's better on the cover then on the
    motor.
    It makes it look like a lot of motor!!!!!!
  • spike61spike61 Member Posts: 8
    Got a new BLUE 2007 CALIBER R/T AWD with 6000 mi. on it. Love the car I have driven a large variety of vehicles cars, trucks etc. This is the best car I have ever driven in the snow it is like a snowmobile turns ,stops ,takes off like no other I ever drove handles, better than my Durango 4x4
  • spike61spike61 Member Posts: 8
    2007 R/T AWD owners watch your 18 inch tire wear they seem to be cupping on all four wheels
  • airnosairnos Member Posts: 16
    Brand new forum member here. :)

I purchased my SE w/2.0L, AC & power package yesterday, and I'm still under 200 miles on the odometer, but so far I've enjoyed it. For perspective, I traded a 2001 Corolla.

Don't regret the choice. Wish I could have afforded the SXT but the SE with upgrades is a good alternative.

Judgment's been an adventure. I checked specs and the Caliber's footprint is actually SMALLER than the Corolla's. Between that and the fact that I'm used to having a trunk behind the back window, I've been badly overjudging the back. I'm also still slightly overjudging the right. But I'd rather overjudge than underjudge.

I noticed the blind spots right away; they're most definitely there. But in my case the higher seat goes a long way toward mitigating them. I've also been long used to glancing over my shoulder since I wear glasses and thus have less-than-reliable peripheral vision anyway. So far, it's been annoying at times, but no real problems.

My initial impression of the CVT was that it was sluggish and required a lot more gas pedal than I expected. But out on an Interstate this morning it handled itself very nicely in the 70 mph range. Per the break-in section of the owner's manual I revved it a couple times and made it from 70 to 80 just as fast as the Corolla. After doing a bit more research, I have started to wonder if the "sluggish" feel has to do with the fact that the Caliber is heavier than the Corolla. More to come. My chief concern at the moment has to do with the fact that I drive Atlanta's Downtown Connector daily during rush hour, and more days than not I end up doing some hard accels/decels in the 30-60 range.

The car seems to lean to the driver's side even though the car does not drift to the left when I take my hands off the wheel. To me the non-expert this suggests shocks instead of tires or alignment. That being said, the shocks on my last new car (a Nissan) also required a break-in so my current plan is to re-evaluate at 1000 miles. Also, the accelerator sometimes acts a little strange when I have cruise on but not enabled. This, too, is something I'll just watch for right now.

I've got the base audio and it's well more than I need. Road noise is about what I expected, and I noticed that most of it is tire noise not engine noise (i.e., the engine is well insulated). I can drown it out with the audio at 12 or so. The difference between a cassette adapter and an aux jack for my mp3 player is pleasantly noticable.

I wish the pedals were mounted a little further back. I'm only 5'5" and have to sit a bit closer to the steering wheel than I particularly like.

But these are really my only complaints. Handling's fine, performance seems at least decent, etc. And when I got home from the dealership, I barely even made it out of the car before someone came up asking me questions and wanting to check it out. :shades:
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Hello and Welcome!! For the sluggish acceleration look into get this flash. TSB#18-031-07

Several owners have reported improvement, including myself! :)
  • jmechjmech Member Posts: 15
    I have over 16,000 miles on my Caliber SXT, auto. Its been a great car so far-no serious issues. I had the sunshade replaced in the back under warranty and the computer was flashed/upgraded.It improved performance with the A/C on a lot. Thats it so far! Gas Mileage is good even with A/C on quite a bit. 23 city and 30 straight highway @ 70 mph. It been about 27 mixed. :)
    I understand that Chrysler is now offering a UNLIMITED POWERTRAIN Warranty for as long as you own the car. Too bad they don't offer it on ALL 2007 owners. :)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The Caliber has almost everything I want on paper.
    Reasonable price, auxiliary audio input, and available bluetooth and stability control. There are not many other vehicles for the same price that have those particular features.
    However, the quality control issues, cheap interior and bad gas mileage for a smallish vehicle make in unacceptable.
    It barely gets better mileage the V6 car I'm driving now. Many midsized cars like the Camry and Accord get much better gas mileage than Calibers with their larger and more refined 4 cylinder engines and 5 speed automatics.
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    I've just gone over 43K in my 2.0 cvt caliber and the car still drives like new. No issues with it what so ever. I change the oil and filter every 5 to 6 thousand miles with Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic. Now that I've had Sirius Satellite installed I like it even better *L*.
  • fregtroopfregtroop Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of a new SXT (CVT2, 2.0L engine) about 10 days ago and noticed that the engine cover was 'missing' - which made the engine look vulnerable with the cables and associated tapes clearly visible. Anyway, the dealership told me that DiamlerChrysler (DC) decided to offer the covers only on the R/T trim. They actually printed out a parts bulletin from DC showing that all 1.8 and 2.0 Liter engines (Jeep Commander, Dodge Caliber . . .) would no longer have the cover. In fact, the bulletin seemed to suggest quite strongly that dealers should not try to order the cover for engines of these sizes. I couldn't help wondering whether there was something wrong with the 1.8 and 2.0L that made it risky to have the covers in there.

Other than that minor annoyance, I have been enjoying my car so far. Averaging 29 - 30 MPG on my daily commute.
    1800 mile report:

I'm definitely going to ask the dealer about the flash update when I take the car in for the first oil change (which I'm planning for around 2500 miles). The sluggish acceleration and the hard "downshift" at 20 mph -- I assume this is the rpm governor kicking in -- are driving me crazy. Per the label inside the driver's door, it came out of the factory in June 2007, so I'm surprised the update wasn't already done.

I'm also going to get a couple other small things taken care of at the same time. They're minor -- the door hinges need lubrication; the Chill Zone latch won't stay open; and the brakes have a funny squeak. Other than the accel/decel the car is doing fine.

Took the car, which is now named D.C., to see family in another state (900 miles round trip) and it did great out on the highway. The shocks have settled in fine and there has been a marked reduction in tire noise now that I, and not the dealer, am monitoring the pressure. Given that I live in the South with CONSTANT a/c use, I'm pleased with the 26/30 mpg I'm getting.

I'm very glad I bought this car. I'm still getting used to it, but I've already had one rather close call and the car did exactly what I wanted it to do. To me that's the most important thing: can I rely on the car to perform well enough to keep me out of wrecks. I'm pleased to say I can.
    10,000 miles

My SXT 2.0L/CVT has only been back to the dealer
    for my free oil changes and the TSB# 18-031-07.
    It's drives the way I expected sporty and fun
    to use and the MPG has gotten better after the TSB,
    last tank 30% city driving with hiway driving
    4 adults and luggage at 70-80 mph with A/C on
    averaged 30 mpg US.
    The downshift at 20 mph is the result of the
    engine programming,when you lift off the gas
    it goes to economy mode at 20 mph reducing
    gas consumption and that with the CVT adjusting
    felt harsh in mine also,after the flash and at
    about 8,000 miles it became less noticeable.
    I fixed the chillzone door myself with piece of
    velcro.
    Had my Caliber SXT for exactly one year now with 21,000 miles and no problems...2L CVT and between 27-29 mpg on a continual basis...gorceries, golf clubs, camping stuff all fit great in back....little more power would be nice, oversteers on corners, and back window washer squirts periodically but mechanically and the practicality of this vehicle is awesome for the price and features I got...same vehicle with options now would cost $800 more than last year!! I do not understand some of these complaints about gas mileage and power...it is a small wagon that looks like a sporty crossover that is economical with some cool features all for under $18,000......hard to complain about all that!
  • edr2edr2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Caliber 2 weeks ago. I've got now 1400 miles on it and I like everything so far. My only complaint is the gas mileage. At this point with mixed driving it gets about 22/23 mpg. Is it because it is new? Is there anything I can do to improve it?
    Thank you for your help.
    Which model Caliber do you have.Gas mileage varies greatly from the FWD to the AWD R/T
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Get the newest TSB Flash, but if it's an R/T that is pretty much right for city driving. I average about 23mpg with my city driving.
  • edr2edr2 Member Posts: 2
    It's a SXT
    See the post above & get the flash.your mileage should be better with the SXT
    My SXT with 2.0L engine CVT has been consistently around 29 mpg's for the 12 months I have had it with 75% highway..25% City...just an FYI and you should get your computer reflashed.
  • flotrevinoflotrevino Member Posts: 2
    My wife has had her Caliber SXT 2.0 for about 3 months now. Her MPG started around 24, so I had the computer flashed, or at least the dealer said they did, and now she is getting around 22-23 mpg. I did notice an improvement in takeoff, so I guess they did do the update. I am not sure what else to try though. She does do a lot of city style driving.
    My SXT 2.0 was about the same but I can assure
    it fets better with more miles.
    Don't ask for a magic number of miles when
    it will happen,todays cars with adaptive
    driving software can do funny things when
    given erratic driving habits to contend with
    and it will change as now I consistently
    get 27-30 mpg US in the city.
    Flo,

I can confirm 27 mpg in the city (about 60/40 for me). And it's a RARE road trip that I don't pop 30.
  • eb01eb01 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Caliber for a little over 5 months and have 5k miles. It gets great gas mileage in the city. I have been getting 26-28 in the city. We did recently take it on a 900 mile vacation to Acadia National Park, on the way we noticed a funny whistle sound coming from the drivers side door it is very distracting (even my husband who wears a hearing aid can hear it) It continues to make that sound if you go over 60 miles an hour. Other than that problem it has been a great little car. My two year old enjoys sitting in the back with the hatch up when we go to the drive in. It reminds me of my Moms old Station Wagon.
  • dommissedommisse Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 5 speed Caliber, 7+ thousand miles, and have scheduled maintanence performed but while stopped at lights and stop signs, etc. it "threatens" to stall. There is no tachometer and I had the dealership take a look but they "Can't find anything wrong". It doesn't do it every day so it's difficult to take it into the shop and have it do the same thing. Anybody have any ideas as to what might be going on?
    The 5spd/1.8L stalling is a problem that's been around
    for a while.
    I suggest you follow this link-
    http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=583&highlight=stalling&page=5

Read it and follow their advice.
    There is a TSB that has been issued for your whistling sound and
    how to fix it.
    You can find it here-
    http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=8137
  • canadacalibercanadacaliber Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering if anyone has had a wierd smell coming out of the vent on startup. it only lasts a few seconds...I have tried spraying lysol in through vent in firewall as suggested by dealer, but it hasnt done anything to fix the problem. Air smell is so bad I have to open the windows....even in below zero temps here in Northern BC
    Have been to the dealer a few times and they have not been able to fix it yet.
    Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?
  • dommissedommisse Member Posts: 2
    Luckily I do not have any wierd smell. WHAT does it smell like?
    The smell you are having is from mildew/fungal buildup on the AC/DEFROST
    evaporator which located in the dash about at its center.
    The problem arises from using the ac/defrost cycle both of which
    use the evaperator to remove water/humidity from the cabin area.
    You can help prevent it by running the HEATER only on high for
    several minutes before turning the car off.
    If you spray Lysol with the fan on mid setting spray it thru the
    cabin airfilter access behind the glovebox,you can spray the cabin
    airfilter itself with Lysol or do as I did by placing a FEW drops of
    liquid car scent (something you can live with) onto the cabin air filter.
    I have owned Chrysler cars since 1984 and this crops up in some
    models more than others.
    Since scenting the filter and letting it run on heat only for a few minutes
    I haven't noticed it all winter.
  • opotsopots Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone else has major water leaks in their cali? Started with rear hatch then right side (actually sloshing around back there), now left side sopping wet.
    I have a 2008 R/T with AWD, and a 2.4. Been to the dealer 3 times and have called today to speak to owner of dealership to see what he or Chrysler are going to do.
    Leaks seem to be happening every couple of months. Bought car in Oct. 2007, first leak in Jan. 2008 then March, etc.. Is this common with Calibers??? Anyone else have these major problems?

opots
    Over the 2 yrs I have owned my Caliber I have seen numerous posts
    regarding water leaks,I have not had a problem with this myself.
    The most common cause has been plugged drains on the
    sunroof drains,there are 4 of them,one each in both the "A" pillars
    and the "B" pillars.If you have a sunroof this could be the source
    ant drains have become clogged with debris.
    The 2nd cause has been poor body panel sealing in the manufacturing
    process and this can only be resolved by a dealer who provides
    good service.
    The 3rd source has been the runoff from the AC evaporater which
    is used both AC and defrost cycles,the overflow hose which exits
    the cabin close to gas pedal uder the carpeting becomes clogged
    and backs up the water at the catch tray.

Find another dealer if yours isn't doing the job.
  • burritomakerburritomaker Member Posts: 3
    I got mi Caliber 07 in April last year and my first visit to the dealer due to leaks was in december.It started in the back right side then passed to the front.They sealed the fllor and replaced the whole carpet.THen I tooh the car again one monrh later with the same problem.Today I have no problem yet.
  • opotsopots Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply. Let me first say I do not have a sunroof. This problem started in Jan, 2008 with the hatch leaking on both right & left side, this was found and repaired by the dealer. The next problem was in March, 2008 when the right side rear floor was flooded (1" water laying on top of carpeting). Took to dealer they said they fixed it. In May, 2008 after another storm, it leaked at the same side again.
    Took it to dealer, after a week in there they finally found and fixed the leak, replaced the carpet and broke my windshield while testing for leaks there. They also put holes in the back of my rear seat with tools or something when they were trying to take the seat out to replace the carpet, and ruined the carpeting on top of the spare tire hatch.
    This repair is still open pending a new seat cover replacement. Now in June, 2008
    after another storm, the left rear is leaking. Waiting for Service Manager to get a hold of Chrysler Rep. hopefully the rep. will come here to talk to me. I think 6 months, going on 7 is enough!!!!
  • equuspwrequuspwr Member Posts: 6
    Leased the sxt. 2.0L CVT in Jan. In March I noticed that there was an unusual amount of water in the car, on the drivers side front and back, about a half inch deep. I brought the car to the dealer. They had the car for about a half a day and said that the fire wall was not sealed properly at the factory. They fixed it and I have not had any more leaks since. I still have my fingers crossed.