Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    My Autumn Red LS has the parchment interior and the Aviator has the light grey. I can honestly say you won't notice much difference after a few days so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. The DVD Nav is nice and although I wouldn't have ordered it I've grown to like it. Whether it's worth $3K is up to you (I believe $3K includes additional stuff like the THX audio maybe?)

Then again, maybe you already bought it and it's a moot point.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My Nav has been so good, it actually healed some of the problems by itself!!! Self healing package, option 174-A.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Took the plunge. '04 Ultimate Merlot/Grey. Rear DVD, chromes, tow and Navigation. What a ride!

Salesgal delivered it to the house at 10AM Christmas morning. Boy, was the family surprised!

We're taking it on a road trip this AM to San Diego (from Santa Cruz.) Got lots of DVDs and even a Playstation packed. We expect to not even know we've got 3 kids in the back! :>)

Thanks for help on the board and for not talkin me out of it.

George

PS: So I now "own" 2 red Lincolns bothe with grey interior.
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    Enjoy the ride, and report back on how well you traveled!
    You are in a bit of a rut with the red/gray thing alright, but it's a good rut in Lincolncity nonetheless. Please let us know how the trip went. I think there's nothing like them on a trip with family....
  • kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    Congrats! I too am a "2 Lincoln" owner - I was one of the first LS owners ('00 LS8, 75K miles), and purchased an '03 Navi back in April and couldn't be more pleased with it. I purchased a Premium (no auto running boards) and had to have the DVD system. With 3 kids and long trips, it's a dream. Only one minor problem with window rattling, but that will be fixed at the next maintenance.

Good luck!
    Got 12,000 miles on mine so far, and am very pleased with it. Moreso, with every mile!
    lolaj42: You know how much I love that marketing phrase :>) But I must say it's not quite so bothersome when applied to the Navigator as it is when referring to the LS.

Glad to be a member of the 2 Lincoln club - khoury, akirby, who else?

As to the Nav itself and the trip - put about 1300 miles on it in less than a week. From here (Santa Cruz), as far south as San Juan Capistrano, then up to Napa for New Years party then home again. And I must say everyone in the family just loves the Navigator. Best road trip with kids ever. They were either sleeping comfortably in their reclining seats, watching DVDs or playing Playstation. No more 'are we there yet?' 'I'm bored' 'can we go home now' We hardly knew they were there. Only knock on the 2nd seat bench seat config is cupholders are only 2 and they're in a poor location. Especially when center 20% of seat is pulled forward. A fold-out cupholder in each rear door would be nice. Also a bit more storage room in 2nd seat area for headphones and DVDs etc would help. IIRC, the Aviator had ceiling storage for DVDs. Nav does not.

Back in the 3rd row area with the seats power-folded down was all the vacation cargo we needed and then some. Loads of room ANd the power liftgate made it easy access. I remembered what nvbanker or someone said about stuff falling out so I was careful in packing to avoid that. Things I'd like to see back there? Tie downs, a cargo net and a cargo cover. I also like the liftgate design of the Aviator better - lower liftover thru the glass for shopping bags etc.

As for the front seat accomodations? Simply what a luxury SUV should be. Pure American luxury. And you can travel well in it too. The heated seats are great. (That's the only option I didn't get in my 2001 LS) The seats are extremely comfy and roomy, maybe some think they're lacking a tiny bit in side bolstering? I think that's fine in a vehicle like this. One of the reasons I decided against the Aviator was the driver's seat felt too cramped and stiff to me. Love the huge center console compartment. Great arm rests - that and the door panel or door frame. Adjustable pedals make such a difference, Especially for my 5'4" wife. She can stay a bit back from the air bag now. The one on the steering wheel I mean. And the instrument panel and interior design and lighting is just simply the best I've ever seen. Love it. And the auto climate control actually works great. (I've got an ongoing complaint with that in my LS.) Minor gripes? I always prefer 4 guages to 2, the tilt/telescope steering wheel of the LS should be in the Nav, and the bicycle-looking door reflectors are the cheapest looking item in the car. They should be redesigned or eliminated. In fact, what about a light on the door panels? Speaking of, I was surprised that the running boards are not illuminated. Did they drop that when they put the puddle lamps on the mirrors?

The Navigator rides extremely well. Very limited body roll thru corners. It feels like a much smaller vehicle. Turning circle is tight, steering feel is lighter than the LS and I like it that way. ANd the real? wood steering wheel feels great in my hands. Nav runs straight and true - no shimmies, rattles, nothing. Engine is plenty powerful. Got 15.4 mpg on the trip. I'll take that. Especially knowing it'll get better as it breaks in.

Well, thats my trip report. The whole family is really happy with the Nav. I feel a lot better having them all in a nice big, comfy safe vehicle. Side curtain air bags and advancetrak with RSC all contribute to the feeling.

C U all on the road.

George
    Great report, George. Glad you're liking it.

You can add ls1bmw0 to the 2 Lincoln club. Debbie has a Navigator.

I was a little puzzled about the cupholder comment and lack of storage until I realized you got the bench seat, not the buckets with console. That has 2 cupholders in front of the console and 2 more if you open the lid.

Travel well!
    Actually Brian just bought a manual V6 LS to go along with the V8 and the Gator so make that a 3 Lincoln family.
    They did drop the illumination on the running boards that my 99 Nav had, when the puddle lamps were put on. I sort of agree with you......oh well.
    George! I thought you would enjoy the Navigator just a little bit more than the Aviator. I kind of agree with you about the difference in driver seat roominess between the Navigator and Aviator, with my preference also going with the roomier Nav. I also agree with you about the liftgate arrangements, with the edge going to the Aviator.

Well, one of our good friends at Lincoln (TTG to those that know) was most gracious in providing my wife and I with perhaps his first new X-Plan PIN of the year. My garage will soon be blessed with it's 2nd Lincoln. The LS is going strong (I just got 5th place in the AZ SCCA Solo II Autocross 2003 Winter Series running in the Street Tire 1 Category), but will soon be accompanied by an SUV . . . most likely the Aviator though.
    Copying me again, huh Chris?

You won't be sorry with either vehicle. I almost prefer driving the Aviator to the LS.
    I'm not too sure about the copying 'again' thing as I ordered my LS back in October of 1999 . . . well before 'discovering' edmunds; but what can I say, you have impeccable taste in automobiles!

I doubt I'd ever prefer driving the Aviator over the LS, as I really enjoy taking the LS to its limits (and sometimes beyond, when on the skid pad), but those cooled Lincoln seats in the Phoenix summer heat are most appealing! ;-)
    I ordered my LS in August 99, so I got you there...

I really meant highway driving. I rarely push the LS hard anymore although I do hit the occasional 25 mph off ramp at 60. It's nice to know you could push it if you wanted to though.
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    Has anyone been parking their Navigator in a standard one car garage? Just wondering if it fits.

Thanks
    Yes - Navigator fits fine in a standard garage, even with mirrors not retracted. Saw a Hummer trying to get out of a garage the other day - now that was funny. There was about an inch clearance on either side.
  • bobbio56bobbio56 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks to all for all this stuff...very informative....i can do a fully loaded Ult. for about $51k....yeah, BIG discount due to corporate alliance....i have been sucked into the whole LX470 quality thing, but given my pricing the Gator looks very good...I would truly appreciate all comments in regard to my quandry...on a fully loaded LX I am @ $63K...with everything....Folks, please help me with my decision...i have a
    GREAT Lincoln dealer...(i have a sable company car) so that's not a worry they have been as goos as our Infiniti Dealer (scary, huh!). My fear is I get a gator/dog and that just won't work...so please pipe in and give me your opinion/thoughts/guidance....again, thanks!!!
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I went through the same thing last year and I chose the Ultimate Navigator with Navigation and rear entertainment system... cost was about 10K less than the LX. I also love the LX and would chose it in a minute BUT.. it doesn't offer the room or features of the Navigator.

However, if you don't need the extra room and don't care about power running boards, power liftgate, HID lights AND can spare the extra 10K (or 3-4 hundred bucks in monthly lease payments) then go with the LX. The LX is my personal standard for having that intangible "feel" for quality and luxury. The Navigator though comes in a very close second for alot less $$.

As far as reliability, your warranty is the same on both trucks. The fact that you have a good relationship with your Lincoln dealer would make me lean a bit more towards the navigator.

Last but not least, remember that the LX is slated to get a MAJOR overhaul within the next few years.. so I'd hedge my bets and get the Navigator now and if the redesigned LX blows your mind in a year or two you can always make the change (that's pretty much where I'm at now with these vehicles).

Also, take both the LX and the Navigator on long test drives (forget the around the dealership block quickie).. drive them both on the highway over 60mph for a bit.. eventually you'll get a "Feeling" for which truck tickles you best....

Good luck!!
    thanks for the input!....i am doing the long tests tomorrow...thank God, money is not an issue..my personal happiness is key to me not going postal on a lemon....i think th elong test drive works especially if it is the exact car you will buy...esp. the gator...i have ridden in both andI must say the gator seems to ride better...i will report back after the tests...thanks again...
    wnet out and drove the gator and the denali yesterday....forget the denali...got in and the thing stalled 3 times during test drive..the gator however was wonderful...got back to dealer and by chance spoke to someone who had their new gator in for service...4 months old and back 3 times...lots of irritating noises, radio issues and phantom service lights....going on...left the dealer with a chill....dooubt i'll go back...too bad...the gator drove very well...lx/qx here i come....thanks
    Basing your $50K+ purchase decision on ONE bad vehicle you happened to encounter one day is just plain silly. I'm sure you can find a LX owner somewhere with the same problems.
    Having had a series of excellent Lincolns for over a decade now, I have noted that paranoid people will always get the lemon :) Bobbie had probably better get the Lexus.

By the way, I've had none of the maladies reported by the person in the service lane encountered.....
    If you interview people waiting to get car service done chances are they'll be grumpy..

While I was buying my Navi last year the sales guy got a call from a hysterical lady whose 03 gator's AC had just died.. he smiled at me after the call and said, "oh well, there's another satisfied customer!" -- he knew me well enough to know that I would not scrap a deal based on an isolated incident like that.

Personally, I've never owned a car that did not annoy me in one form or another -- they all have some issues. For example, my brother-in-law's LX 470 has had several suspension-related issues, but overall he loves the car. IF you were to catch him while he was at the service bay though, his response as to how he liked his Lexus would have probably been quite different!

Either case bobbio56, if you choose the LX I'm sure it will treat you well.. BUT if you really liked the Navigator you test drove though, I'd give it some serious consideration because it is a good value overall.
    Can the rear A/C blow hot air or does it just do cold? A few weeks back it got down-right nippy (40 degrees) on a trip to Disney and I could not get the rear a/c to get hot.. just the front. What am I doing wrong?

A fella over in the GX470 board had a similar issue and he was told by the service rep that the rear a/c on that vehicle is not set up for heat. Could this be true of the Navigator also?

Thanks!
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    I dont know... Personally... I would rather take the exciting vehicle, over the unexciting appliance. As long as I'm covered under warranty.. EH why not...

Ironically, my family/friends make fun of my cars because they nickname them "Death Cariots" of how hard I must drive them... YET, never had any type of warranty repair on them except regular maintenence.

Yet a friend of mine who drives like a little old lady has been having stupid issues with her Camry. I really think she just turns off the radio and A/C just to purposely look for noises gone wrong... I think it's a sickness...I've told her husband she's neurotic and needs Welbrutin, that's the current joke....
    is definitely hot and cold. Make sure it's not set for rear controls and the temp knob is all the way in the red for max heat. If it still doesn't work (and the vehicle is warmed up) then it's broken.
    I think that grumpy owner who told you about his Navi problems is really a Lexus employee:)
    It should do both if operating properly. Strangely enough, I had the exact opposite problem with mine - would intermittantly blow hot in the summer when cooling was called for, but only if I was using the rear controls. If I used the front controls, it blew cool, and operated perfectly.

You won't believe the remedy - the system was overcharged! How the hell that can cause that particular malfunction, I don't get. But they evacuated and refilled to specs, and the thing has worked perfectly ever since. Maybe you have to much antifreeze in the radiator? Maybe too much air in the rear tires? Who knows? Fortunately, my dealer knew what to do! But be assured, it's supposed to heat.
    minutes with the manual will "fix" my rear heat problem.. the thing is I use the heater around twice a year.. and the rear heater even less, so I haven't gotten around to solving that mystery yet!

I just noticed though that the rear a/c controls do go from blue to red so it'd be pretty silly for them to do that and not have heat back there!

Oh and, I'll check that antifreeze and tire pressure too just in case ;)

Thanks!!
    U know about the switch from roof to floor too, right?
    I have two dials up on top in front of the sun roof.. one that transitions from red to blue and one that controls fan speed.. there's also a button in between but I'm not sure what it does.. 99% of my rear a/c use is for rapid vehicle cool down to keep babies, mother in law etc. comfortable.. and it does that quite nicely. What do you mean about a "roof to floor switch"?
    It's the other button you referred to. It determines whether the air exits via the roof vents or the floor vents.
    Played around with the rear A/C unit today and figured it all out. Thanks!
    Glad we could help :)
  • jlfaulringjlfaulring Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 Gator fully loaded but it is missing the Navigation CD's for the factory system. I was told that they are made by Navtech. Where could I find the cd's for this? I am looking for a complete set b/c we are going to be traveling cross-country this year. Can I use the Navtech CD's that are used for BMW? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Congrats! You have bought an outstanding vehicle that I think you'll be very happy with. The dealer can't help you with the CDs?
  • auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    You can only use the Navigation CD made for the Lincoln Navigator or Ford Expedition. You can buy the complete set from www.navtech.com but I think you have to call them. I am one of those lucky 03 owners with a CD based navigation. I actually called navtech a couple of weeks ago to inquire about a new CD update and they said it would be available in late Feb or March.
    Also look on ebay they are always selling navtech cds, but only buy the Navigator or Expedition as these are the only ones that work
    .. for our Navigator! Can anyone recommend sites which have accessories for the Nav? I'd also like to put in some sort of cargo net or cover. Has anyone found something that works? Last, I'm pondering doing to the Nav what I did to my LS, which is open the airbox a bit, install a K&N filter and install a Magnaflo exhaust system. All to pull out a few more ponies - and I do love the rumble of a nice big American V8. Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks
    Never seen a bra for the Navigator, hey....but there may be one out there. The plastic wind deflectors are fairly common.
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    Have a clear bra put on. The vinyl ones look dorky and scratch the paint.
    I always prefer see-through for these items:>)

We wanna keep pebble nicks to a minimum. Actually, clear will be better if I get a full chrome waterfall grille or some such.

Still wondering about sources for this stuff. Anyone have any? I'll do a net search too.
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    The clear bras are typically applied by the same guys who do window tinting. It is a protective vinyl that is put directly onto the paint.
  • jrlonerganjrlonergan Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a new 2004 Navigator Ultimate with running boards and chrome wheels. Love it. Wish it had power memory tilt and telescopic wheel and auto up and down windows for all windows including rear vents. Also memory for passenger front seat. Otherwise, I think they have covered all areas. Rides and drives great. My 5'2" wife is very comfortable driving it. Merlot with gray interior and bench second seat.
    Try to find one like Janet wore (or wore half of) last night. Very nice and easily removed.
    not that it mattered.......

The clear bra protectant seems to work well. I am not sure how it ages, or what happens when you have to remove it though. Little nervous about that.
    "Try to find one like Janet wore (or wore half of) last night. Very nice and easily removed. "

Just what we needed, eh? Another Jackson Family BOOB in the news!
  • utl3utl3 Member Posts: 26
    I just ordered a 2004 Navigator in True Blue / Parchment and wanted to add the chrome exhaust tip from the monochromatic option available for the Black and French Silk.

Has anyone seen one of these yet that can comment how how the tip looks? Is it just a round cover put over the existing tail pipe, or an actual extension of the muffler that has a different shape?

Not sure if I can order the part, the guys at the parts counter was very confused.

Thanks
    Yes, I have one. It's just an added tip. Go to a Meineke or equivalent shop, and they can put one on for about $30. It's the easiest way. Looks nice too! Congratulations! It's a great truck.