Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• birdyx99birdyx99 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Kia Sportage and the power windows just stopped working. I have checked the fuse under the dash, by the way, a fuse that I have never seen before that looked like that, but it seems to be fine, not blown. Anything else I can look for or check to see if it solves the problem?
  • pauldebmopauldebmo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 sportage with 63,000 miles I bought it 1 1/2 years ago with 39,000 done a few repairs but now my tail pipe fell off and it looks bad, all corroided and thick with black burnt stuff, I call junk yards to see if I could get a used one, but no one has kias any suggestion. Do you think I should change the catalytic converter. Thanks any info will help
  • sherwood55sherwood55 Member Posts: 1
    The heater core in my Kia has made a deposit on the passenger side floor, I need some direction to replace the core. "IMP4" has suggested he/she has a simpler way to do the job than the manufacturers manual. (I have a manual on CD). Also I have plenty of time, a reasonable amount of repair ability but little money. Sherwood55
  • madsparksmadsparks Member Posts: 4
    hi can anybody help my 1999 sportage loses power if i go over 4000 revs & fault light comes on . it will resart & drive but will only go over 4000 rev if not in gear
  • premodderpremodder Member Posts: 1
    I have been troubleshooting the left rear window for three days now on my 02 sportage. I already replaced the the motor/regulator and expected it to run great but it is slow and will only go up if it wants and will not go down at all. I did a detailed inspection of the wiring all the way up to the firewall and the wires look good. Not sure what to look for on the switches...any ideas PLEASE help...PS how the hell can a manufacturer sell such a jacked up piece of equipment like this. I cant believe how cheaply built these little cars are. :mad:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The problem may be mechanical rather than electrical. It's possible the window track is misaligned, warped or otherwise defective.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • scottkiascottkia Member Posts: 2
    I've got a Kia Sportage 4wd when in 2wd sometimes from a dead stop when I accelerate there is a whining sound followed by a thump and it feels like you've gone over a pot hole with both front wheels. It doesn't happen all the time.

What would cause this?
  • agloryaglory Member Posts: 2
    I am having promlems with my power windows i just got in my car yesterday and rowed them down, I tryed to row them up 5 min later and they would not go up. We have check all fuses they seem to be fine, we also checked the relay's all seem to be good. It is raining and windows are down, please let me know if you can help.
  • agloryaglory Member Posts: 2
    I am having promlems with my power windows i just got in my car yesterday and rowed them down, I tryed to row them up 5 min later and they would not go up. We have check all fuses they seem to be fine, we also checked the relay's all seem to be good. It is raining and windows are down, please let me know if you can help.
  • tamemeebabytamemeebaby Member Posts: 1
    Don't know if this will help you but I had a similar problem with my 1999 kia sportage. I would find my passenger floor board with a puddle of water on it. My problem was the heater vent tube was clogged. I cleaned out tube and it no longer leaks.
    Good Luck
  • mattman88mattman88 Member Posts: 8
    When I am driving at speeds above 45-50 the transmission will sometimes just downshift suddenly for no reason and get up over 4k rpm at times. I have done a transmission flush as well as seen if it read off any codes but the two shops couldnt find anything. I also noticed that it does it more often when it is cooler out rather than when it is hot out. I know this isnt normal and the shop just said drive it until the check engine light comes on. I am not sure if it is some kind of sensor problem or a serious transmission problem.

I have replaced the tps sensor, new radiator, air flow sensor, temp sensor and sender, head gasket, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, and all of the other belts as well (just mentioning what i have changed in the past 9 months). Also, I cant find any sort of manual or cd for my sportage. I am in the bay area in california. Any suggestions would help s lot.

Thanks
    It is an automatic 4WD
    The transmission on my sportage doesnt slip or jerk so I am thinking that it could be the Transmission Control Module or some other sensor? Has anyone else had problems with their auto tansmissions? Let me know!

I just found an online manual so I have been reading through it.

Thanks
  • scottkiascottkia Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 automatic and I had a issue where at low speeds or braking the car would lurch or feel like I went over a bump. It ended up being the front hubs. It would lock the hub then un-lock and cause the issue even though the car was not in 4 wheel drive. I took the spring and slider gear out of both hubs and the problem went away. I don't have 4x4 now but in the summer/fall I don't need it. I'm going to get manual hubs so this won't happen again.
    I should rephrase my title, it is a problem with the automatic transmission not the 4 wheel drive. The problem happens between gears 3 and 4(overdrive). But thanks for your input.
  • ktkanektkane Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Sportage stopped accelerating and died while on the road two days ago. Prior to that it had been shaking while stopped in traffic, less so when put in neutral (transmission is automatic). A friend found that there is no power to one of the fuel pump fuses and decreased power to the fuel pump itself. We tried replacing both of the relays but that did not help. We checked the other fuses near the relays (with the exception of the main) which we couldn't remove. They were getting power. The battery is adequately charged but on a previous occasion when I had the same shaking- when- stopped problem it resolved with a new battery and the car never just died. I am in no postion for an expensive repair. Any suggestions?
  • eatdseatds Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 sportage,maybe I'm just lucky,but it has 235,877 km on it and no major problems (yet)
    check engine light is probly the computers for engine,and trany not communicating the conections are probly iether dirty or loose,it is also factery set to the oil change interval,1000 miles or 1400 km,it should rest on it's own,if not disconnect the negative battery cable then reconnect after about 15 seconds.
  • marykrhodesmarykrhodes Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 2000 Kia Sportage that has started hesitating and the check engine light flashes. I took it to autozone and they told me it was multiple misfirings. But no further explanation. Should I have gotten the code numbers from them or does anyone out there know what it could be? I live in IL and would like to get this fixed before it gets too cold. :cry: Thank guys! :)
  • kevotkevot Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have an Sportage 2005 Diesel, and a few months ago I heard a noise under de car only when I drive slow speeds, specially after I change the gears. I went to the dealer and they told me that is a noise from inside the engine an they have to open it to know more about it. But that means an overhaul in a almost new car.... Somebody has the same problem?
  • helpmefixhelpmefix Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Kia sportage and my check engine light came on.... had it checked it was the cam position sensor....... I had that fixed, but car is still not working right. It is idling jerky and feels like it is going to die. I have code reader and it still says the cam sensor. Any one have any suggestions of what it could be.
  • mlgarbinskymlgarbinsky Member Posts: 3
    i have nearly the same exact problem. it used to just happen like you said although now it sometimes wont even up shift into those upper gears. i find myself at 4k rpm just trying to go 60 on the highway. if u fond anything out let me know.
    i absolutely hate this car!
  • beareaglebeareagle Member Posts: 1
    I have just pick up a 1997 sportage can you tell me what web site you found the repiar manual on please :)
    The web site is www.kiatechinfo.com
    Registration is free.
    I finally found out that there wasn't a thermostat in it! This caused the temp of the car to cool very fast when i was driving, so somehow this made it downshift into third when it went below a certain temp. I put a new thermostat in and now it runs like new. I can't believe I spent so much time and money trying to fix the transmission when it was a 7 dollar part.
  • pappastevepappasteve Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to help a friend fix his car. It idles rough and the CEL was on. The codes stored were PO171, PO300, PO303, PO304. I cleared the codes and hooked my code scanner. The code PO304 came back fairly soon. I have not checked the fuel pressure yet but plan on it Thur. if not raining. The thing that concerns me is that the short term fuel trim was a positive 25% at idle and might go down to positive 14 at higher rpm's. It never went to zero or a negative number like it should. The long term fuel trim was at zero all the time. The O2 sensor was going up and down some.

Does this sound like a fuel pressure problem or possibly a bad vacumm leak? :confuse:
  • bgrolichbgrolich Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 kia sportage with a exhaust manifold and am looking for a used one. Anybody have one or know where to look?
  • jsmash1on1jsmash1on1 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem. There is a pre-catylitic converter, and a catylitic converter on this Kia. I was told to disconnect the pre-cat from the manifold to see if it is melted inside if so very good chance that you will have to replace both, but try the pre-cat first. I've seen them on ebay for a little less than $200 new.
  • jsmash1on1jsmash1on1 Member Posts: 6
    I would check Ebay. I get all my parts from there. Just read descriptions very carefully. Double check.
  • wolfpack2008wolfpack2008 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 kia sportage. I has been running rough so, I changed the plugs, wires and the fuel filter. While I was working on it I noticed a vacuume line missing from the intake manifold. Their is two vacuum lines one above the other one. The top one goes to an air canster. I covered up the port with missing hose with a piece of tape and the car ran fine. Where does the other one go to?
  • lmp4lmp4 Member Posts: 188
    mine looks like this
  • Butt3rflzButt3rflz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Sportage 4x4. It is stalling out on me. There is no rhyme or reason to the stalling. Just simply dies while driving, with in the first 3-5 minutes on the road. Takes a few times to get the car to start after it dies.
    I have replaced the following:
    O2 Sensor
    Fuel Filter
    Plugs-Wires
    Boots(they are part of the plugs/wires i guess?)
    Battery
    Altenator
    I dont know what else to do? it wont show on diagnostics what the problem is?

Any Suggestions ???
    Thanks! :sick: :cry:
  • lmp4lmp4 Member Posts: 188
    In several cases with same issue ...and other makes as well....this has proven to be the crank position sensor. Sensitive to heat with time. Left side of bell housing, somewhat arkward to get to.
  • pmoserpmoser Member Posts: 2
    The tail lights and running lights have gone out there is no power in there circuit the fuse is good all other lights work including headlights when turned on bulbs are all good is there something i am missing any ideas
  • judojohnjudojohn Member Posts: 1
    If it runs fine after the belt broke, the damage is most likely minimal. the Kia has an interference engine. lubrication would or should not be a problem for as short as the engine would be running when the belt fails. the best way to figure out damage internally w/o an overhaul is an oil analyis.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Could it be a switch?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cwperkcwperk Member Posts: 2
    anyone know why my 4wheel drive would be out when i am just using it for the first time this winter? it used to work last winter. the lite is showing on the dash. could there be a wire or hose loose?
  • cwperkcwperk Member Posts: 2
    my 2001 sportage doors unlock by themselves, i will be driving down the road and they will come unlocked also. I am the only owner so i know its not haunted!
  • mdeharimdehari Member Posts: 3
    Can anybody please explain How the Vaccum can lock the hubs on the Kia 2001 sportage what is causing it............how it works
    thanks
  • las5las5 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2000 kia i changed the crankcase sensor and the sensor on the motor spent 550 dollars to get it fixed but still dies out after 5min does anyone know what this might be check engin light does not come on
    I have 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 automatic.........I had the same problem for months I thought and afraid some will brake on the transfer case or transmission!! But I found the problem: I feel bad you took the hubs out ; to buy Manual ones they are not very Chip If you still have the parts I would put them back on .
    I found out by Researching the problem that :when I was driving the car on the 2 wheel drive I had the same lurch or feeling like I was going over a bump;
    What is happening is that the front wheels are turning with the hubs locked because there is no vacuum shot off from the vacuum solenoid which is located next to the vacuum tank.So I did took the Vacuum solenoid out and cleaned out with some wd40 spray and did air blow out.What happen was The Vacuum for the front 4x4 hubs was on at all the time ;with cleaning the vacuum solenoid started working properly and when I shift to 2 wheels the front wheels are free from been locked in...............so clean the vacuum solenoid and make sure there is no vacuum going through when you shift to 2w drive you can check it by taking the small hose off and On from the solenoid.
  • jim298jim298 Member Posts: 9
    when you put it in 4wd you shift the transfer case into mode selected. a solonoid also closes ans supplys vacume to the outer driveshaft and through an arrangement of seals. vacume is routed through the centre of the shaft wich is opento the hub. there is a bellows in the outside of the hub witch draws the locking ring into the axle drive ring locking the hub to the rtor. works good till the seals start leaking. if you always want the hubs locked or it wont work when you really need it remove bolts from hub and remove hub take out the snap ring with a scewdriver remove drive it will probably pop out remove spring remove locking collar reassemble spring first then locking collar then drive install snap ring. now the hub will allways be locked. you have to lock both hubs if you dont 4wd will still not work and you will dammage diferential. if you want to fix it for good order a set of warn manual hubs 26 spline pn 60247. be sure to disconnect vacume line an plug as vacume leak probably exists now and fuel milage will suffer power loss and miss will develop when in 4wd. really easy domt be afraid my daugter can do it.
  • jim298jim298 Member Posts: 9
    when refueling i filler will not allow fuel to enter tank takes 15 minutes to get 5 gallons in seems like there is no vent
    Yes I started from the Seals I did Change inner and outer seal with needle bearing which was shut........did put it together and after i did find the vacuum solenoid problem everything is working great right now; we had so much snow and ice here in Wisconsin and I had so much use for itso faris woeking great . Seems like now really locks in very tight and wont miss. once I go 2W drive Vacuum shuts off totally and if you lift the front wheels on the Jack axels turn so easy by hands which I couldn't do that before when Vacuum was present.
    Hope will stay this way otherwise I will go for Manual Hubs.
    I was experimenting with the one side hub: had the Vacuum on without the bolts on I couldn't even move the hub off with Vacuum present.....Seem there is a lot of presure from that little whole for the Vacuum.
  • selenarpselenarp Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2000 kia portage with 80,000 miles yeterday and I am having problems already. This morning the car stalled at the car wash and would tried to turn over but wouldn't. IT wa running fine the day before. My mother jump started the battery and I took it to wal mart automotive in which they charged the battery. Now it stalls while I am driving in hich I have to pull over and crank it to start again. It starts immediately but it scars me that it stalls in traffic. Also, it is now stalling when switching gears, it is an automatic. When accelerating, it seems to delay when moving to the next gear. This has happened a couple of times, so has the stalling. I have three kids and bought this car in hopes of stability, my other car was even scarier! Any suggestions? I don't have codes because I can't afford the tester since spending my money on this car. No lights come on on the conole such as check engine light.
    You have an electrical problem either in your ignition switch, wiring, or distributor components. Possible problem with your charging system but not likely if it starts right back up . Have you had any of the components tested? Has the spark plug wires been replaced.
    I have a 1996 automatic Sportage EX 4x4.

My backup lights and the lights that display what gear its in haven't worked since I bought it a few years ago. I checked the fuses and they were all good and I checked the bulbs out and they were good as well. I'm not sure if there is a fuse somewhere else for the backup lights or maybe there is some sort of switch/relay broken that tells it its in gear? Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • kinaryokinaryo Member Posts: 2
    Hi my sportage 2001 takes along time to start. And when engine runing, low idle is abnormal. also when I push pedal acelerator engine will stop runing. indicator check in dashboard always come out. I`m sorry , my english to bad. thanks
    Have you checked the fuel pressure? Sounds like it may be taking a little bit for the pressure to increase for the car to start.
  • selenarpselenarp Member Posts: 3
    I have just left the shop where they replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter. They showed me some of my gas and it had alot of gunk or sand in it, which they said i causing the problem. They said I will probably need a new fuel pump. The car no longer stalls but it is now having little acceleration when at a complete stop, it is also not wanting to shift. The transmission guy says it is not my transmission. Can this shifting problem be realted to the gas issue?
  • kinaryokinaryo Member Posts: 2
    how to check the fuel pressure? I change the fuel pump but I still have the problem. this problem come after I wash my car ? may be some thing wrong in electrical system? how can I check the electrical system?