Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jim298jim298 Member Posts: 9
    alarm intermitint goes off for no apparent reason have checked door switches an all seems to be well occures in high humidity and cold temps neighbours are getting restless thanks jim
  • brigitte425brigitte425 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 Kia Sportage. I have been smelling a fuel smell intermittently. It seems to smell briefly for a few minutes then goes away. It happens fairly often. It also seems to be using more gas than I would expect. I thought it was just running a little rich then I read all of the blogs on the gas tank leaking being a major issue with this model during this period of time. If this is what is going on, do I have recourse with a Kia dealer to have this replaced? I read there is a recall but dealers are very reluctant to honor it. Don't they get reimbursed by Kia if they replace the recalled parts? I haven't pursued this yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pursue?
  • kia2x2kkia2x2k Member Posts: 1
    My understanding is if the dealership has already performed the fuel tank campaign inspection on a previous visit, they are not under obligation to replace the fuel tank. (Please note: I do not know if this campaign is still in effect.) If you are the original owner & had the vehicle regularly serviced at the dealership where purchased, even if they unable to replace the tank under the campaign I would speak to however many people as necessary to get a discounted service rate.

We own (2) kia 4x4 sportages, both had this problem: Our first vehicle we purchased from the dealership, we had this service within the warranty period, they were very accomodating in service and price (we paid about $65.00 total for the fuel filter replacement, not covered by the service campaign.)

The second vehicle was a pre-owned third party purchase, the dealership correctly noted the service campaign sticker from a prior service visit w/ the previous owner, no coverage. Having some knowledge of what was involved with doing the repair, I ended up purchasing the parts from KIA (gas tank, new screws for fuel pump mounting), job took about 4 hours, cost was approx $235.00 US total. * In my case the fuel lines on the vehicle were in good condition, or the time / cost of the repair would have been considerably higher. I hope the info helps.
  • tieredtiered Member Posts: 3
    check timing belt
  • peter931peter931 Member Posts: 13
    Where is a fuel pump cut of switch?
  • mcioe001mcioe001 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys. I am new to the sight. I recently purchased a 2008 Kia Sportage, 4x4, with remote start. I noticed the tpms light coming on for a couple of days, then it would go off and stay off a while.This goes on. I ahd a Alpine Radio installed with bluetooth. The light is doing the same thing. I have been to the dealer 10 x. Now, he wants to take the Kia installed remote start out, and then, if needed, the radio. Can I reset the tpms myself? Thank You
  • valeriebvalerieb Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new to this forum but need some help and advise Please!!!! I bought my Kia and have some problems, the dealership is helping to fix but at a loss what to fix not to mention they are kids working on it so what they do is half the job. I think my 4x4 is fixed but my engine light came on and has gotten worse. I changed the plugs as it was not getting fire, but my temp gauge drops and my engine light flashes and the car starts to sputter. I now also have to push the heat knob and hold it to get heat ggggrrrr I am so upset, I noticed the h2o senser is cut so will need to replace that any other ideas ;o( thank you
  • 83derek83derek Member Posts: 1
    After my car warms up the engine starts to bogg down hard for a start from 0-15mph then it smooths out and drives fine. Unless you use "WOT" wide open throttle at greater speeds then 25 then you can feel it a lil. It started when the weather got real cold in the teens and wind chill factor below 0 degrees. The car has 56000 miles on it. Only thing i"ve done is change the air filter. Also noticed it only did it with half gas tank and less...... Any ideas????
  • wombat63wnwombat63wn Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2002 Kia Sportage 2WD. The seal on the shift mechanism going into the transmission case started to leak, so I need to replace the seal. First, do you need to disassemble the transmission or is there another way to get to the seal? Secondly, if I do need to dissassemble the transmission, how do I remove the transmission casing? I've tried everything and can't get into it. Any help would be appreciated. --Wombat63wn
  • sportageownersportageowner Member Posts: 1
    My wife has an 02 Sportage. We had terrible fumes coming in the car (gas/exhaust smells). Took it to a shop to find that we had leaking injectors - they were replaced. Had countless issues with the hoses coming off the injectors after the new ones were installed - all have been replaced and are said to be NOT leaking anymore. The smell continued and was more of an exhaust smell after the injectors were all set. We have had multiple parts of the exhaust replaced and there are no more holes that can be found. The smell continues to come into the car through the heat/defog. It is very strong. The smell only happens on very cold days and will go away after the car is very warm. There is no smells coming from the engine that we can locate outside the car. What are we missing??? Any insight from anyone would be appreciated.
  • 06sportage06sportage Member Posts: 1
    I have exact same problem same year, same make and model. Let me know what you find out. It is really getting annoying.
  • mcz1970mcz1970 Member Posts: 1
    Wow!!! My 2006 kia sportage is doing the same thing!! I noticed what I thought was the transmission slipping a few weeks ago. My check engine light is on now. I also noticed a rotten egg smell. From what I researched, that is the catalytic converter. It should be covered under the warranty. I just hope the power issues WILL be fixed with the new converter. I'm calling the dealer on Monday.

Let me know what you all find out.

As a side note, I came across something that stated cat. converters are federally warranted for 8/80,000, so even if you aren't the original owner, you might want to research that so you won't have to pay alot for one.

Oh!! And I'm keeping my converter. Apparantly, they have (or older ones do) metals that the price of is going really high right now. I know someone who had about 50 cars sitting on a property and some stole all the converters and something else cannot remember so they could scrap them. :-(
  • wunderwoodwunderwood Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 sportage. The check engine light came on, code p0440 evaporative system failure. I also can not put gas in, gushes back out. How do you trouble shoot the system. I have checked the filler tube and hose .please help
  • brigitte425brigitte425 Member Posts: 6
    I also have a 2002 Kia Sportage with the same fumes. It happens intermittently. I haven't had it fixed, but my vehicle seems to be using a lot of gas and I was wondering if I had a leak somewhere. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car otherwise. Let us know if you find anything else out about it.
  • wuselmanwuselman Member Posts: 2
    Jim I have the same issue.. Any solutions or suggestions?

Thx

Frank
  • jim298jim298 Member Posts: 9
    sorry no joy yet but iam still hoping jim
  • de2deas1de2deas1 Member Posts: 1
    my 01 sportage was doing the same thing, I when to a repair shop had my fuel system cleaned and replaced the fuel filter and that solved my issue. That fuel system cleaner and new fuel filter cost me around $125.00-$150.00. But if you have time, shop around, cause in my case, I was in the process of moving and didn't really had time to look around.
  • karen70karen70 Member Posts: 1
    Could I put a 1995 sportage engine into a 2001 sportage? I can't find any info to see if the engines changed at all between these dates.

I have the chance of a sportage that's in brilliant condition apart from the engine
  • satmandoosatmandoo Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced coil packs, wires, plugs, O2 sensors, filters (oil, air, and fuel), ckp sensor, and it still misfires RANDOMLY on all 4 cylinders. Code P301, P302, P303, & P304. This only happens after 15 minutes of warmup or approximately 10 miles of freeway driving. Until then, the SUV runs like new. Can anyone help?
  • silverfox10silverfox10 Member Posts: 1
    2003 sportage misfire had it in the garage but nothing showed up untill they checked the spark plugs. no 3 and 4 cylinder plugs where rusty and wet what would cause this,
  • clark20001clark20001 Member Posts: 1
    hi! an acquaintance of mine has a new kia sportage car, there is any way that opening the doors lock manually while turning off the car, can damage the automatic door lock?
  • chopperdocchopperdoc Member Posts: 1
    2000 Sportage 74000 mile on it, im not the first owner and im sure I wont be the last. I guess im having alot of the same problems that everyone else is having. Lets start with the check engine light always being on, also it had codes show up for all clys. misfireing. Have replaced all plugs, new wires, new coils. No more codes for misfire, lucky I guess. I found out the converter was pluged up, had it replaced and new exhaust system installed. Have codes for IAC valve high and low voltage. P1506, P1507. The engine runs fine after start up, but as your going down the highway say at 60 mph, you let of the gas and it still keeps on going like you never let off of the gas. It stays at 2500 RPM, you stop at a light or something its all you can do to hold it back. Put it in Nutural and the engine will rev up to 2000 to 2500 RPM. So now I have changed the Mass Air Flow Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Throtle Position Sensor. And still to date it runs at 2000+RPM,s. So enough about my little problem, anyone have any ideas? I know I do, JUNK IT. If anyone thinks that they might know what might be wrong give me a hint PLEASE. Thanks for the time to read this. :mad:
    I have a 2000 Kia Sportage automatic and when I start it rpm is ok but when I shfit it to the drive engine stalls.Could be the neutral safety switch or some sensor?.
  • flowmastermanflowmasterman Member Posts: 1
    please help!! I have a 02 Kia Sportage with same problem you are having, it just died as if you turned key off while driving, towed home, it does not have the initial buzz to prime the fuel system, i replaced the fuel pump, and the fuel pump relay, pump still not coming on,what ended up being wrong with yours? HELP!!
  • hellodadhellodad Member Posts: 3
    Have '00 Kia Sportage EX. (stall out while driving for no reason). I had to replace all relays in the relay box. Do not use the relays Kia sells. Go to Auto Zone or Pep Boys or NAPA. Got mine at NAPA.

Good Luck.
    Kia Sportage have a security fuel system shut down when you hit the bump .
    Open the hood and on the left front you will see a relay box . Unplug the negativ cable from battery and remove main engine and fuel pump relays and replace them both with the new relays at the same time. Connect your negativ cable back to the battery and engine should start up.
    good luck
  • jmanselljmansell Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    2000 Kia Sportage 180,000 miles
    About a week ago my brakes went out then my clutch started acting up. Is this related or is it another wild goose hunt my Sporty is sending me on?
    Finally fixed the No power up hill problem thanks to you guys and gals on this forum so hoping you have some idea what this might be
    Thanks John
  • 2002ko2002ko Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Sportage My air conditioner works intermittently some times it wont go on at all and sometimes it goes on and then starts the button blinking after it's on for a while and goes off. My passenger side front window only can be closed with passenger side control button and not opened. however you can be opened and closed from the driver side. I think it must be electrical can you suggest a part to order to repair this?
  • joaquin2joaquin2 Member Posts: 3
    All set for an engine transplant '97 manual tranny. removed bolts per KGIS (6) but site not too explicit as to locations etc. Engine and tranny still seem to be connected somewhere. Any suggestions out there? thanks
  • ging51ging51 Member Posts: 1
    hey Imp4 I have a 2000 kia sportage and I am changing out my heater core. I read that you have done it before and I was wondering if you could please give me the instructions on how to do it I would greatly appreciate it.
  • bmachbmach Member Posts: 3
    2001 Sportage 2.0[dohc] can't get [1] vlv & seat to seal{????} we've ground vlv.seats
    & vlv.'s made sure vlv guide is good & vlv sprg. is within Factory spec.s[vlv sprg. is showing to be *aprox '30 Lbs[vlv closed] if install vlv sprg. Shim>under inner & outter>vlv sprg this would bring vlv.sprg. tension CLOSED to '50Lbs , believe that this should HELP???? Don't know what else to do ?

PLEASE , if anybody has any other idea , let us know so can see if maybe will HELP our Problem & if have a diff. idea we're willing to see if possibly could HELP our problem ????
    THANK U
    butch @butch's auto&diesel machine shop
  • jeremyluster71jeremyluster71 Member Posts: 1
    I have 00 sportage thought the fuel pump or the relay have replaced both now not getting power to the pump any suggestions
    First disconnect the battery and then remove and replace both engine and a fuel pump relay reconnect the battery and car should start up.
    Good luck
  • natntaznatntaz Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    Hi just bought kia sportage, v reg and tested it as much as a woman can. I got home (about twenty miles) and the car seemed to make a water gurgle noise. It had apparently had a cam belt change at 47000 miles and it is now on 67000.
    All seemed ok with temp gaige and so on. Any ideas. Just hoping i have bought
    a bad one :-( Meant to say sounded like it was something to do with the water.
    I am worried about the head gasket now as someone said might be this.
    Check the timing belt and all the pulleys on the engine on belt tensioner
    Alternator, PS pump and AC compressor maybe one of the bearing on the pulley is getting bad . I had a similar problem and bearing on tensioner pulley was bad.
    Good lock
  • natntaznatntaz Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks will try to get someone to look at it when the man who i bought it off of brings it back. He seems to think it is the thermostat. I am just worried about the head gasket ! but will get someone to look at it for me when it is back. Many thanks. :)
  • evajnycevajnyc Member Posts: 1
    In June facing a summer with many long car trips to make, I decided to trade up our 94 Nissan Sentra (very dependable but without a working AC) for a 2000 Kia Sportage that I bought for $2500 with 88K probably at least $1000 too much considering the problems we've had with it. On test driving for about half an hour the car ran fine but as soon as I drove it off a week later with our plates it started making a loud grinding noise when accelerating (my husband does not believe that I didn't hear this when I test drove the car!) and also began to overheat after a short time driving when idling and eventually the check engine light went on. We immediately took it to our regular mechanic who had recommended that we buy another Nissan or a Honda but I didn't listen to him as Nissan or Honda SUVs of this age seemed beyond what I wanted to spend at the moment. He plugged in the computer sensor and said it was the catalytic converter that needed replacing. He was also unhappy with the brakes. He charged us about $1100 to replace the catalytic converter, work on the brakes and do an oil change. That solved the grinding noise and check engine light but it was still overheating when idling so we took it back to our mechanic who charged us about $125 to flush out the radiator and put in a new thermostat and then said it wasn't overheating anymore when he took it around the area for a test drive. The next day I had to drive my son from NYC where we live to West Virginia to where my mother lives and and it started overheating again after sitting for 10 minutes in the Holland Tunnel back up. After we got out of the tunnel I stopped the car to cool off and took it easy the rest of the 5 hour trip without any overheating problems. In West Virginia I went to see a local mechanic who we had consulted before with our Nissan and I think is very good with cars and he looked at the car and could tell right off that there was a problem with the fan clutch. Unfortunately I wasn't going to be in town long enough for him to replace it at the moment but I arranged to order the part and he would install it when I came down again in 3 weeks to pick up my son. It did not overheat again on the 5 hour trip back but I noticed that the floor of the car right behind the driver's seat was very hot when driving. When I returned to install the fan clutch that I bought on the internet for $68, free shipping, he looked under the car and told me that the entire exhaust system from the catalytic converter to the tail pipe needed replacement but he didn't have time to do it at the moment and I had to bring my son to a camp in Connecticut the next morning. He didn't think it would be dangerous to drive as it was but advised having the work done as soon as possible. Last weekend I took the car to a muffler shop I had gone to before at the Willets Point "junk yard" in Queens and replaced the muffler and tail pipe for $110 cash while I waited. He also told me that he could have replaced the catalytic converter for $90 which I didn't want to hear. I felt safer driving with the new muffler but I was almost about to cross the bridge back into Manhattan when the check engine light went on. I turned around on the BQE and went back to the muffler shop where the Afghan guy who owns the shop felt certain that it had nothing to do with the new muffler. I then went to our regular mechanic who checked the Kia with his computer and said it was the Mass Air Flow sensor and he called and said it would cost $225 from his supplier. I thought that price was a little high and as I was feeling more skilled about buying car parts for less $$ on the internet I asked him if it would be OK if I tried to see if I could get the part for less money and he said he would install it no charge. I went on Ebay and made an offer for a new MAF sensor for $45 which was accepted while keeping up my search for window regular assemblies to fix the back windows that have never worked. The next day we were driving the car and the check engine light went off at some point but I might as well install the new MAF since I had already bought it. Today my husband called me all bent out of shape because he said that the clutch was making a loud grinding noise when he was moving the car (we park on the street in NYC and there are street cleaning rules). I stopped by to check the car and shifted into first and reverse a few times but did not hear the noise but what can I say - anything seems possible with this car. I don't know - another thing that we need to check is this low humming noise when riding in 5th gear. It seems that the clutch is loose or something but when you hold onto the gear shift it seems to diminish the humming noise. Also the spare tire holder in the back seems to be loose in its hinge or something and always rattles loudly and bangs against the back hatch door when riding on bumpy roads. I have pointed this out to all the mechanics I have been to but none of them have been able to suggest a fix. Sorry to make such a long post with my Kia Sportage saga but it's really getting frustrating - I would like to think that there could be a light at the end of the tunnel and we'll have a car that runs well without forever going to the shop for one thing after the other. On the positive side the car handles well and A/C works well enough. Any suggestions for the various issues that I've mentioned?
  • jhadzia4jhadzia4 Member Posts: 1
    When I travel more than 50mph and let off the gas, even slightly, the engine seems to rumble until I get back on the gas or maintain a steady speed for about 30 seconds. Strange.... I have looked at the KiaTech site before for other parts and also for that sound and it suggested that it's a balancing bar in the engine but didn't reference how to fix or if you need a new engine completely.

Also, the check engine light comes on at the 1/4 and full marks on the fuel gauge. However, when my fuel is between 3/4 and just above the 1/4 mark, no check engine light. It is extremely difficult to fill the gas tank because it doesn't breath enough and I have to 'power hold' the nozzle just at the right (very slow) intake level or the fuel gushes out and the nozzle shuts off... to everyone there, it looks like I'm trying to overfill my tank.
    I've had the intake pipe checked and there were no clogs or anything that could make a significant flow stop and the air holes just on the outside of the mouth of the pipe are clear, yet tiny.

Any answers on either would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • victoria5830victoria5830 Member Posts: 1
    Where is the resitor located ? Kia dealer says this is why we only have high speed on blower. Have the part..need install advice.
  • kim62kim62 Member Posts: 1
    A week ago I was driving back home from town when all of a sudden my Sportage just shut down. All the dashboard lights lit up and it just quit running. I was able to drift it off the road, I thought it might have been the fuel pump as it would crank but not fire even when I pumped the gas pedal. My mechanic towed it to his shop they said the fuel pump works but that they were unable to get it to fire. He also said the his assistant mechanic that does wiring had gone over every inch of the wiring and can still not find the problem. He suggested I take it to a Kia dealer to diagnose the problem. I google fix my Kia and found your website. I am hoping you can give me an in site to the problem before I spend alot of money at the Kia garage. Can you please help me. Thank you
    Try disconect the battery and replace both fuel pump relay and main engine relay. The're both located under the hod in black plastic box. Then reconnect the battery and car should start up.
    Good luck.
  • nelsonlnelsonl Member Posts: 2
    Take it to another mechanic sound like a timing belt problem.Also check the knock sensor may be defective.
  • cricket15cricket15 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 sportage only overheats when I turn on the A/C. I have read about the fan and if this was the problem then the engine would overheat with or without the A/C on but it does not. Does anyone know what ties the cooling system with the A/C system that would cause this problem???
    R@R termostat on small temp termostat or just remove it, radiator flush and maybe your fan clutch is bad . Do not drive if is still overheating . Do prechure test on your radiator first.
    Good luck
  • spikesmaspikesma Member Posts: 1
    Car runs rough a low idle. Have had plugs replaced, 02 sensor, trottle positioner, trottle controller,replaced. Ran good for 2 weeks then started it again. Does not stall, just runs rough when idling, in gear or in park. Car sat for one day an then took it back the the mechanic and it ran fine. Check engine light does not come on. Original codes were misfires. Also had #2 coil replaced. Any suggestions? Love my car have had it for 8 years with no major problems. Gets good gas mileage and has great power.
  • marmasmarmas Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    '01 Sportage with 175,000 miles. Been having start problems. Engine will crank but not fire up. Unless I let it sit for a while and wait to hear a click, it then starts just fine. Also, today at a stop light the rpms went down to 1k and was about to stall out. I quickly placed it on neutral and gassed it up and was okay. Any ideas? Thanks
  • kialandkialand Member Posts: 1
    ATTENTION :lemon: KIA OWNERS WHEN YOU LOSE POWER OR HAVE MISFIRE CODES BEFORE YOU SPEND TONS OF MONEY ON THE FIX DO A COMPRESSION. CHECK IT SHOULD BE A MIMINUM OF 124 PSI, THEN CHECK THE TIMING BELT FOR SLIPAGE AND THE TIMING MARKS. THE BELTS SHOULD BE REPLACED AROUND 60,000 MILES, DO THIS BEFORE REPLACING ELECTRICAL PARTS OR REPLACING THE CONVERTERS WHICH IS VERY EXPENSIVE. WHEN YOU REPLACE A TIMING BELT SOMETIMES THERE IS A PROBLEM TIMING THE ENGINE IT TAKES A LOT OF PATIENCES AND TINKERING YOU MAY HAVE TO MOVE THE EXAUST AND INTAKE GEARS A COG OR TWO AWAY FROM THE TIMING MARKS AND SOMETIMES IT TAKES HOURS TO TIME THE ENGINE IT SEEMS THEY WOULD HAVE A MORE PRECISE WAY OF TIMING. MOST OF THE TIME POWER LOSS IS IN THE TIMING WHICH CONTROLS VALVES, AFTER THIS IS COMPLETED THEN HAVE IT CHECKED ON A COMPUTER
  • asmbubbaasmbubba Member Posts: 4
    I've looked all over the Kia tech website for info on scheduled maintenance procedures so that I can do it how Kia recommends, but I just can't find anything. Can anyone help?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Edmunds Maintenance Guide. It'll tell you what Kia recommends and will also estimate what it should cost in your zip code.
  • murphy40murphy40 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone bought a 2011 sportage .