Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki XL-7 Problems and Solutions

13»

Comments

• aspoonemoreaspoonemore Member Posts: 2
    That's good to hear! Unfortunately for me, I purchased the car used last year and I don't have receipts for oil changes completed before I purchased it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point.
  • christi7039christi7039 Member Posts: 1
    I just took my car to the suzuki dealer and they are saying they will not stand by this. I took it in for surging and they said my engine is gone because of sludge. I am gonna call them in the morning and let them know I have found more people with this issue. Thank you all for posting this.
  • tt95966tt95966 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone taken out a water pump on the 2002 XL-7? It seems pretty tight to get to, any tips? And also my upper oil pan gasket is slow leaking anyone had that problem? If so, how did you go about fixing it?
  • clh2798clh2798 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 XL7 that I purchased used in May of 07, it had 21,527 miles on it when I bought it. I had the excelerator stick and they told me that it was my floor matts getting caught.. Never really any problems other then that until about a month or so ago and my check engine light would come on and then it was gone, off for a few days and then back again.. Well let me tell you, if your check engine light is on?? You need to definatley get that taken care of cause 3 weeks ago I got up in the a.m and started my car for work and I thought my car was going to BLOW UP!! My nice quite car now sounded like a diesel engine.. I had it towed to Burdick Suzuki at Drivers Village and they jerked me aroun for the past 3 weeks and tells me thurs 11/18/10 that my warranty is not valid because they found fluid contamination in engine and oil!!!! WHAT??? My car has been maintaned every 3,000 miles, maybe a time or two I went over a bit but nothing that would EVER lead me to believe that it would cause my engine to blow!!!!! I am looking to find out if anyone has a class action against Suzuki or if there are enough people out there to get one.. Have found many in different states... I will never buy another Suzuki again thats for sure....
  • bigwilly10bigwilly10 Member Posts: 2
    Something happen to me all that was needed is the O2 sensor needed to be replaced.
  • ceuserceuser Member Posts: 6
    I had a similar problem when the vehicle my xl7 was 6 months old,,,,go back to message 46 to view my problem,,,the engine had rust inside,,,the dealer ended up doing massive engine work and the xl 7 has been ok since then,,,but this problem has been ongoing as we can see from the other responses. I remember receiving a response from a concerned person who told me that the probem was one of transorting the engines through customs and they had to keep the engine covers off so the serial numbers could be inspected and the engines were exposed to the elements,,thereby causing the problem. Good luck and please keep us all advised.
  • dwarren36277dwarren36277 Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced the same problem with the same outcome, claiming the vehicle was neglected in oil changes. Now they want to examine the oil. Very bad customer service.
  • ohdmechanicohdmechanic Member Posts: 1
    I have a question, but first< I just bought this 2002 susuki XL7 11 days ago. what is the n..a/t..p button for on this vehicle? I was told it was to give you better power and performance in the "P" mode when your pulling a trailer... Is this true. I towed a u-haul from Phoenix to Prescott and when I put the button in "P" mode it blew out the seal for the front differential and the rear trans-axle seal. I had to put it back into the "N" mode to make it home. Anyone know anything of this? Thanks for replying if you have.
  • george159george159 Member Posts: 1
    2WD/4WD SWITCH STAYS IN "N" AND DOESN'T WANT TO ENGAGE.
    It was towed away from the road on two wheels, would this have anything to do with the problem and how to resolve it. It worked before being towed
    Thank you
  • robe5robe5 Member Posts: 3
    Your ac should be to high (max.) blower to max. also,look at reading.
  • robe5robe5 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2004 xl-7.. First light come on #4 coil and plug,second time a po430 bank 2 code,had injectors clean,third time 02-sensor,fourth time a converter all this under 80k all out off pocket fighting zusuki for the cost of fixies..the shops are ripping us all...$1.95 plug they charge $15.00..coil $74.00 they charge $321.00..converter they want for one $1200.00.Best service was Saturn dealers even when out of warrenty they still fix problems without costs....to bad G.M. double cross them.
  • cykecyke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 XL-7 with 60,000km on it. While driving the engine suddenly went limp. The display said "driving on reduced engine power" and there was no power when I floored the pedal. There was also no power in the power steering. The display also read "service traction control" and "service stability control". I pulled over, turned off the engine and after 10 minutes tried again and the car was running fine. The check engine light was on though. The next morning the check engine light was no longer on. I brought the car to Suzuki and they said they could find nothing wrong. The codes on the car were just "old codes". They told me to drive it and if it happens again to bring it back to them. 3 days later the same thing happened. Suzuki tells me they may not be able to fix this. I have a total protection plan which covers bumper to bumper. Anyone encounter a similar problem?
  • yasayasa Member Posts: 1
    Over the past 2 weeks my 2007 XL7 seems to have developed 3 different, but possibly related, problems:

1) Within the first few miles of driving, usually only once, it will "chug" and "stutter" as if it isn't getting enough gas and wants to stall. It has thus far NOT stalled and the chugging goes away after a short amount of time (maybe 20 seconds).

2) I have also noticed during the first few miles of driving that when making a turn (seems I'm always turning left, so I can't say if it happens turning right), that as I start to accelerate out of the turn the engine noise increases significantly (maybe not engine noise, almost sounds like it is coming from under the car). Almost like a mild roaring.

3) This one has only happened once so far, on Thursday night, I was driving slowly through a parking lot and my transmission seemed to slip several times.

There are no warning lights or messages coming up. The vehicle has about 44,000 miles and the only real maintenance I've had to do thus far has been a new battery.

Anyone else have these problems? I need to drop it at the dealership and see what they find, but I'd like to hear of similar problems or thoughts before I do. Thanks!
  • vanbcvanbc Member Posts: 2
    Definitely the first 2, maybe the 3rd, problem will be related most definitely. The sound your hearing when your turning and hitting the gas is the engine starving for oil. When the oil level is too low and you turn left, the oil in the oil pan sloshes away from the oil pickup tube, starving the engine for oil momentarily.

The engine is brutally picky for oil pressure, can cause all sorts of funny noises. May or may not be related to the possible slip you felt.
  • rick450rick450 Member Posts: 1
    We are experiencing the same problems you have described. Have you found out what the problem is or was?
  • dsillitodsillito Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like the same problems I was having. When I would try to maintain a constant speed the car would jerk and sputter. I was also having the same issue turning only left, almost a roaring/grinding noise. I first took it to a transmission place and all they did was a transmission service, next took it to a local shop and they changed spark plugs and found a bearing on the intermediate drive axel was bad causing the grinding noise while turning. I was hopeful this would be covered by warranty and took it to the dealership, it was. The dealership replaced one bearing and cleaned some other stuff out and said both problems were fixed. I went and picked the car up and niether were fixxed so I took it back. A week later I was told that another bearing needed to be replaced and I needed an entire new transmission. Both are being covered by warranty but I have to pay for some coil that also needs to be replaced, $500. Hope this helps
  • servicetekieservicetekie Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    :mad: :lemon: I have a 2007 mileage 62700? Before thanksgiving the check engine light came on. I took it to Autozone and got a reading P700. I took it to the dealer I purchased it from (preowned vehicle) they took it to Suzuki. I was told that they would have to replace the transmission control sensor. But the sensor is replaced by replacing the entire harness. I was then told no part was available in the US and the part would have to come from overseas and would not come in until Jan. 28, 2012. I got the car back second week in January. I drove it for a week. While driving, I thought the car felt like it was dragging. The check engine like was back on and the display now flashing, service traction control. I found when stopping and switching to manual that the car was only shifting in two gears 2nd and 5th! I immediately drove the car to Suzuki, which was down the street from where I was and left it there (service dept. closed on saturday). They have informed me, they do not know what is wrong with it and are attempted to find an answer through service experts. I paid almost $1000 that I borrowed. I am lost in all this :confuse: . I have had the car for about 16 months. :lemon: :mad:
  • trotter2trotter2 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, happened to me. The tow guy should of put it in neutral. He caused the pin to break and it fell into the trasnfer case. Donot drive as it will eventually it will get caught between the gear and chain and break the case. Then you will have to replace the transfer case. thats what happended to me.
  • italianopritalianopr Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 XL-7 with 73k miles. Until last night I had just 2 small problems with it. The first one is a small power steering leak at the pressure hose and i control it with Lucas p.s. fluid. The other problem is that after replacing the drive belt sometimes have that annoying noise when the AC compressor turns on. Tried a few times to put more tension on it but the system doesn't help. If anyone have a good idea let me know. Now, last night I cleaned the battery terminals and now it starts and runs fine after 30 minutes off. No check engine, no message, no nothing. I can start the engine and run the car but if shut it down have to wait to start it again...
  • rinso15rinso15 Member Posts: 1
    I have had those same problems, how do they get to keep this from being a real recall. I was stranded in South Carolina with this problem and ten months later the same is with the rear both times.
  • bobell72bobell72 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 XL7 with the 3.6L engine. I've just starting having the same problem when turning left, then the check engine light came on and it was hesitating in low revs (seemed worse in 4th gear-strange) and since I needed an oil change anyway, I took it to Valvoline and the tech said it was a misfire code (didn't get the code#-Stupid on my part). I didn't think it was too serious then this morning it wouldn't start! AAA is on the way, but reading her and elsewhere it sounds serious; either a timing chain issue or trans issue. I have 45K on the engine so this should definitely be covered under warranty!!! It sounds like the timing chain issue should be a recall issue. I'll update when I have the car serviced and the issue (hopefully) resolved. :sick:
  • overwhelmed78overwhelmed78 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2007 suzuki xl7 with about 400 miles on it and hadn't had any major problems until this past year. The jerking, sputtering, shaking, sounding terrible overall. I won't post names on here but I did take it in to a reputable repair shop. It's been there for months. We've gone through everything from the battery being too small to bad camshaft sensors to something with the engine harness needing to be rebuilt to the pistons being "off". I'm not an idiot but I'm not a mechanic either so I'll explain the best I can. This engine has 2 compartments which will fill up with oil and sludge and crap causing the above problems. It can be cleaned out, parts replaced, and things set right for roughly $2000. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be more but the manager felt really sorry for me so he found coupons and what not. Anyway, one of the reasons he felt sorry for me (aside from the big bill so close to Christmas) is because of the response he received when he called the local dealership as well as the manufacturer. Get ready: Suzukis are known for this problem but there's no recall because not enough people have gone through the process of filing a complaint. If a customer brings this problem in to the dealership, they are told that it happened because the oil changes weren't kept up properly. And when my mechanic asked what he was supposed to tell his customer, they basically told him "She can replace the head gaskets and that should fix it." Needless to say, my mechanic was floored and said he couldn't believe they even admitted that to him. I have found a link online to file a complaint and as soon as I can pay off that bill and get my paperwork together, I will file. In the meantime, I won't be able to drive it much once I get it out of the shop because it will happen again if the original problem isn't fixed. And that wasn't my mechanic's 1st call to suzuki but it was one of the last (in case you're wondering why the gaskets weren't fixed first). Regardless of the gaskets though I still would have the huge "clean up" bill.
  • mmorris03mmorris03 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 XL7 with 72,000 miles on it. I'm facing the same issues that several have posted and commented on. When I go to make a turn the transmission slips and a grinding noise occurs from under the vehicle. There are times that the trans slips when driving on a straight road, normally at lower speeds 10 - 35 mph. I've only noticed the check trans lite to come on once. I will check and make sure the level of the trans fluid is correct, but honestly I stand a little concerned from previous post. Check warranties...
  • oswald008oswald008 Member Posts: 6
    One of my best days occurred June 1, 2011 that is the day my 2007 XL7 AWD was stolen in Mexico never to be seen again !!!! I really liked the vehicle, but every-time there was an issue there was no support or the dealer could not replicate the issue or they needed to keep it for days on end with little noise occurring that the dealer called 'normal'. Yeah, try to replicate no heater/defroster while driving thru Aspen, or the inoperable CD player/radio/ac while crossing the AZ/CA dessert or vehicle lunges forward while at stop sign with foot on brake, or one of my favorites the vehicle complete shuts down /off while driving at 65 mph ! My advice is to get rid of you XL7 while you can before it fails on you while you are driving along with your family in the car and you smash into something or some one. This vehicle is unsafe! Just to show the difference I traded in my awesome 2006 Grand Vitara AWD for the larger 2007 XL7, after I was experiencing problems with the XL7 the dealer and I had long discussion, it seems they believe the problem to be do (point the finger) to assembly location; Grand Vitara fully assembled in Japan; XL7 engine & they told me. I will never buy a Suzuki again and that dealership lost all my business forever.
  • turrenturren Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 XL-7 2.7 litre with 188K Kms. It has been a good vehicle and looked after. I put it in 4WH over the summer and it appeared to work fine. The light indicator came on and it seemed to be handling (with a slight wheel turn) as if it were in 4 wheel drive. I do this just to ensure it stays lubricated. I was in snow country last week and went to put it in 4 wheel drive. It would not work. No light, no traction. What might be the problem? I've tried several times since last week and the same result. Is there something that sticks? Is it fluid levels possibly? Is there a quick check or an easy test to see what issues may be the cause? What would a Dealer charge to check this out, or is it a simple mechanic test for any mechanic? Thanks.
    Hello....is anyone there to help me with this? Merry Christmas!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try cross posting over on Edmunds Answers gets a bit of a different crowd.
  • suczukisuczuki Member Posts: 2
    Hi, my wife's 2007 XL7 is having a similar problem. Did you fix your problem? Please tell me what the remedy was and how much it cost if you don't mind. Have a happy and car trouble-free New Year!
  • suczukisuczuki Member Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem with the same vehicle. Please tell me how you fixed the problem. I would really appreciate it. Thank you also for the link to file my complaint.
    Happy New Year! I have not heard from anyone on this issue; still unresolved although I am thinking of calling a Dealer now and taking it in as I can't wait any longer.
  • tonyalttonyalt Member Posts: 6
    Get rid of it. I did mine- that was a very comfortable SUV to drive- I put 170K miles on mine before I changed the brakes- but that was the only good thing about it- otherwise it was a bucket of bolts and drove me crazy. I drove it for a year and a half with a restart issue. I could not restart it after fueling. I would have to sit for 30-45 minutes before it would restart. It also stalled at red lights. So every time I refueled I had to leave it running. And I took it to the dealer and they didn't know what was wrong with it. So I gave it back to them. Good riddance. Got a used 2005 Honda that runs like a dream.
  • oswald008oswald008 Member Posts: 6
    Get rid of it... I agree 100%. I really liked the XL7 when it wasn't in the shop, what a headache and the dealers & suzuki don't care! They actually told me to take it to another suzuki shop 250 miles away??? Got a 2010 ford escape 4 cyl. runs and runs and runs....
  • lauraj284lauraj284 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 suzuki xl7 and i when i put in drive it doesnt want to go. i have to slam on gas to get it to go and when it finally starts to move it makes a loud clunking noise from the rear and then sometimes i get the same noise when i come to a complete stop. only happens in drive and when its cold outside. last week while it was warm outside no problem then it got cold again and the problem came back.
  • ms_johnsonms_johnson Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Suzuki XL-7 fuel door came off too as did a neighbors. Also i have been through several batteries my vehical can't seem to keep power the battery is drained in a few months the alternator was checked and is said to be working. I have to get a jump every time i want to use my SUV and not turn it off.
  • rgypinrgypin Member Posts: 1
    I recently took a job that requires me to travel a great deal. Most miles are highway and i seem to be getting around 18 on the road. My rpm are at 3k at 70 mph, which in comparison to some larger and smaller vehicles is high. I am curious as to what others are experiencing with rpms at different speeds and any suggestions on what i can do to improve mpg.
    tire size is 16
  • kofo81kofo81 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Hi, I have a Suzuki XL7 2007 Limited edition. And my mechanic has said the auxiliary is bad. He said this is found in the gear box. Apparently we have been driving around with the off road button on and he says this is what spoilt it. Please can someone tell me where I can order a new auxiliary or gear box? Somewhere that can ship internationally. And any idea of the price of this part? Thanks in advance.
  • tommyboy0414tommyboy0414 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 xl7 and I have been getting a p0496 code that I believe is a faulty Constant Pressure Valve or Purge Control Solenoid but I'm not sure which one it is. Can somebody give me some clarification.
  • mobilegaragemobilegarage Member Posts: 1
    got a 2007 Suzuki XL7 2wd with the 3.6L. It had a bad cat on the front bank(loose brick). replaced both the front and rear cats with these from rock auto EASTERN CATALYTIC Part # 40822, EASTERN CATALYTIC Part # 40823. Replaced the spark plugs with Denso PTV16TT Platinum TT Spark Plug. now comes the problem when you acel with the vehicle getting a rattle, chirping sound from the engine almost sounds like a bad belt tensioner but not quite and the vehicle is not accelerating like normal. It does not have the original engine in it. It was changed supposedly about 3 years ago with a 3.6l out of a Cadillac and had the oil pump replaced about a year ago. Any ideas on where to start looking?
  • mik2224mik2224 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 suzuki xl-7 , only have little over 55000 mile on it . for some years now had a major problem , anytime it would rain or i wash it , when its start up or when im driving in just a few seconds the check engine light would come on. the vehicle would idle rough and run rough , it would also misfire and alot of black smoke comes out the exhaust pipe & would shut down . when i scan the vehicle it says a p1450 (barometric pressure sensor ),p0328 (knock sensor) and p0057 (HO2S bank2 sen2) . Does anyone know a solution and where to find the barometric pressure sensor? .from research it says that the barometric pressure sensor is in the ECM not 100% sure . :) any ideas would be helpful ;)
  • donola61donola61 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Suzuki XL-7 and was ok before the last 8 months when it started with all forms of Dash Board notification - Check SERVICE BRAKE MONITOR, SERVICE TRACTION MONITOR, SERVICE TYRE MONITOR. as well as SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT on!
    unfortunately the vehicle has been taken overseas to Lagos-Nigeria. took it for engine scanning machines and they don't seem to see anything.
    Can someone please advise on what to do before the car sends me crazy!
  • slu9200slu9200 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I have a 2001 XL-7 and need to source parts out of New York or Miami. Can someone recommend the better buy.
  • felomax25felomax25 Member Posts: 2
    my 03 xl7 when put on D wont drive i have to bring the shifter down to L TO STAR driving and than move it to drive once it reach speed of 1o to 15 mph but everytime i come to a complete stop have to do it al over again.enybody have any idea?
  • him_907him_907 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I just traded for a 2004 xl7, it has 135 ,000 miles on it. It tends to overheat and boil out the puke jug, it has only cooled down 2 times out of roughly 15 times overheating (just got it today.) Guy at the car lot has put a new radiator in, had a compression test done, which came back good. When I turn the heat on in the cabin, there is very little heat actually comes through. He said he took it to a mechanic and they couldn't figure out what was going on. Any suggestions? Or has anyone had this problem before? Also have the apparently all too common issue with the air bag light and blinking clock. I've thought about coolant system flush, and thermostat change. From what I've read about the water pump is that it will make a little noise when it's going out, no noise though.
  • youWantItWhenyouWantItWhen Member Posts: 3
    kc5yti said:

:) Next time, have someone start it for you while you stand out in front of the truck. Listen for the noise to occur. If it centers around the front of the engine near the bottom, it is probably the timing chain tensioner. If you purchased your truck after August 2002 and have less than 100K miles, you should be able to get it worked on under warranty. If you purchase it before August 2002 and have more than 3years and/or 36K miles on it, you will have to cover the repairs yourself. My guess is that it is the tensioner.

Also if you have trouble disengaging the 4-wheel drive system, make sure you are driving on properly inflated tires and that you are driving straight. From what I have read and what others have said, this can be normal. The 4X4 system is not meant to be used when you have good traction. It could bind up. One big reason for the binding improper use, but if you are certain that you are using it right, it could be mismatched tires, improper inflation, and other tire related problems. The tires must all be rotating at the same rate to properly disengage the system.

BTW, much of the talk on the timing chain issue seems to indicate that the use of bad filters and the wrong oil either causes the problem or makes it happen quicker. Many of the recommendations are to use the lightest weight oil for the truck, and to use a good filter like the OEM Suzuki filters. Some have said that the Purolator Pure One and Wix filters are just as good. I have used many different brands, but never generic or Fram filters.

Just for future reference, 2002 models used a vacuum system (hoses, solenoid, sliding mechanicals, etc.) to engage / disengage the 4-wheel drive (i.e., front hub).

First: The engagement mechanicals should be periodically lubed because this is not typically done at your independent oil changing stations and such. Even most dealers miss this if not reminded of it. Failure to lube regularly can result in the solenoid sticking (resulting in difficulty engaging / disengaging the front differential for 4-wheel drive).

Second: The vacuum hoses are prone to leaking especially at their fittings; and the bulkhead fittings connecting the hoses to the control box also rust out and leak. I've read a few posts on the 'net about DIY fixing this which you might have to dig out since few dealers are equipped to handle this on a 16-year-old vehicle.
  • JamiecapecodJamiecapecod Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 XL7. Just started stuttering! It seems to be worst in 3rd and 4th gear. At idle cruising speed (1.75 rpm) it starts to sputter like its not getting the fuel it needs. Very worried because the dealership is super shady. I pay for a secondary warranty in my payments and wonder if it's covered...
    I also have heard the loud noise when turning left and accelerating out of a corner.
    Anyone with knowledge of these would be of great help. Thank you.