Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Questions

Comments

• kerasenekerasene Member Posts: 2
    I was told that you absolutely can't run any Kerasene in the new 2007-08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, that it will destroy your fuel pump, fittings, fuel lines and injectors. True or false? Also, the other question would be... if you were stranded and ran out of diesel and only had kerasene, how many miles could you drive on Kerasene until it did damage? Can you run Kerasene period in the new 2007,2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 or not or willit simply not even turn over? I understand that the new 2007,2008 are only designed to run off of the new ultra low sulfur stuff...so does this mean that the computer will say, if you put kerasene in it in an emergency, that your nuts and it won't work at all? Thanks any info, resources, reliable website info appreciated. t.crabb@juno.com
  • clutzclutz Member Posts: 1
    After purchasing my used '98 Ram, I purchased an extended warranty after being warned about expensive repairs. Since extending, the transmission went on the fritz, the ceramic plates in the rear end locked up, both at different times. The trans is the main question today. When it is cold out (below 45) I have a problem with sitting facing uphill during warm up and shifting into drive, there is nothing? Feels like the trans. is in neutral. If I rev up the engine it will eventually go into forward and has sometimes stalled out like engine and trans are locked up. If I sit on the hill and shift into drive and reverse a couple of times it will take off fine and eventually warm up and shift fine. I have never had trouble with it in warm weather with the shifting.

Second issue is the idle. During the warm weather when the a/c is on, I have to two foot drive to keep truck from stalling. I thought I read a post here that referenced an adjustment on the throttle body to adjust the idle up. Any additional information on this would help. Tired of left foot driving... thanks.
  • raindograindog Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 dodge with a 12 valve in it wont start unless i plug it in once started runs fine but if i shut it off and try two start sometimes it will start sometimes it wont now its 2 the point where if i shut it off it wont start at all without plugging it in.Anyone got any ideas
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    When my 96 Cummins was hard to start, a fresh pair of batteries always did the trick.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • 40beast0740beast07 Member Posts: 2
    Im looking into purchasing a Dodge Ram, however, I have been debating between the Hemi and the Diesel, mostly because of the price. However I have heard of people getting Dodge Diesel trucks that were originally 41-43K for about 30-32K. I was wondering if anyone had any reliability to these rumors and could explain to me how you can get the dealership that low. Thanks
  • desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
    try carsdirect.com
    Those prices usually include the rebates available. Technically, rebates are considered down payments, and not a reduction in the selling price. Head over to our Dodge Ram Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion to see how people are doing.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • smarttruckssmarttrucks Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 automatic that does the same thing maybe two or three times a week. Everything I've read realating to this gives no help. If you fixed it, What did it take?
  • guykguyk Member Posts: 3
    JUST GOT IT BACK FROM DALLAS DODGE. ALL FIXED. NOW SIT DOWN***
    IT SHOWED A CODE P0216 ON THE MACHINE. FUEL PUMP AND LIFT PUMP BOTH. PRICE $3900.00. RUNS LIKE NEW AGAIN.
    SORRY FOR GIVING YOU THE BAD NEWS.
  • nealh2nealh2 Member Posts: 2
    apperently there is a guide pin for the front timing gear cover that comes loose and falls into the timing gears and oil pump gears and takes them out! this happened to me this week end 12/01/2007. luckily it didnt break the cam or crank gears, which im told it was possible, it did however take out the oil pump, inner timing cover, outer cover, and the the turbo. the turbo went because of loss of oil pressure. the dodge dealership i had it towed to knew immediatly what happened and said that there is a repair for that that they usually suggest people do when they bring it in for a service. well if your like me you do your own oil changes and stuff like that. they told me the repair was about 250. this repair is going to cost me 4500. they also told me that the years effected by this problem are 94 to 99 specificly the 5.9 12 valve engines. when they went to the 24 valves they fixed the timing cover to hold the pin back from dropping into the gears. the fix they tell me is not from dodge but an aftermarket fix. it involves drilling into the cover and pin, theading it and putting a threaded set screw in. its to late for me but if you have this same engine you should have it done oh by the way my truck only has 103000 miles on it. i really love my truck and will have it fixed and drive it some more. i plan on having this truck for a very long time. thanks for listening and good luck.
  • nealh2nealh2 Member Posts: 2
    yep happened to me last weekend gonna cost 4500 bucks to fix if you havent done the fix yet please do it!!!!!! youll save in the end
    Commonly referred to amongst Ram owners as "The Killer Dowel Pin" - I was lucky with my 1996 Ram... didn't affect me in 9 years.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • zorba1zorba1 Member Posts: 2
    When going 40 mph and keeping foot steady at that speed the trucks RPM"S will go up 3000 rpm's for a couple of seconds then back to where it was and do it a few times while going down the road? Doesn't seem to do it at 55 , 60 , 70 etc?
    Almost like it's going to shift into a passing gear?
    Is this the little fuel pump or tranny or what?
    thanks
    Since the 12-valve Cummins is a completely mechanical engine, it's difficult for it to do anything momentarily like that, so most likely it's something to do with your transmission.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • bulldog6bulldog6 Member Posts: 8
    Trying to figure out which is the best 1 ton dually diesel to buy. Dodge or Ford? Automatic or manual? Does anyone know best rebates available?
  • clifford3clifford3 Member Posts: 2
    i have 2002 3500 dually witha cummins high out diseal with coolant leak out of the back of the head lower passenger side. its a small spray shooting back at the fire wall coming out of a samall hole in head any help ?? is this a common thing on that motor? any help only 145000, its not coming out of the silver plugs its a smaller hole that faces the back of the fire wall
  • bulldog6bulldog6 Member Posts: 8
    Wish I could help you, but I don't know anything about a Cummins engine. There is a dye you can buy at a auto parts store, that will help you find a leak.
  • clifford3clifford3 Member Posts: 2
    i can see the leak with a mirror but i dont know what the hole its leaking out is seems to small to be a frost plug hole.. it looks about the size of an 1/8 to 1/4 hole.
  • jond09jond09 Member Posts: 17
    Sounds to me like they are blowing smoke up your rear. Yes injecters can cause similar problems to this but that does not neccesarly mean this is your problem. And a good dealer would warranty that if it was your problem. My friend with a duramax had a similar problem, one dealer said all of his injecters needed to be replaced ($8,000). He took it to another dealer in a deferent locations and they fix it for free under warranty. But with the dodge if you can be sure it is an injecter problem and you can't get it warranted than you can get aftermarket injecters that are much more efficient, more fuel mileage, and more power than the stock injecters for waaaaaaay less than $4500 and put them in yourself. Another idea would be to find a diesel shop, NOT THE DEALER and pay them $75 to see what they think is the problem and compare it to the dealers story. Also you could call cummins direct and talk to a tech guy to see what he thinks.
  • billyo15billyo15 Member Posts: 2
    I recently began having a problem with my 01 TCD. While driving down the road, my truck is running fine. Then I come to a stop at a light and my truck decides it wants to keep pulling forward, with my foot stomping on the brake to make sure I don't hit the car in front of me. I put the truck in neutral and it goes back to normal idle. When I put the truck back in drive it shuts off. I never had a problem like this before, and have no idea what would cause this. I finally got the truck to go into drive after a few hard shifting experiences and once in gear, the truck was smooth on the road, until I came to another stop it did it again. When I put the truck in reverse, I had no gas pedal at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • beak12beak12 Member Posts: 1
    This problem happened to me today in my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel.

What did you find out? Did you have to replace your fuel filter?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
  • sparky1978sparky1978 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Here I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 3500 With the Cummins Turbo Motor With 55,000 original miles on it. Here the problem i have had is here about a year ago it was running fine here then all a sudden here it just lost power, the more pedal i would give it the more it would fall on it's face. Here it acts like it chugs . Well i replaced the air filter and seamed to have helped it out but month later, same problem and has had a power problem ever since. here 0-65mph it seams to do fine with out a load, 70 and above here the truck wont even get up to anything above 75/80 . With a trailer here if i am driving straight down the road here it does fine till i hit 60 then has no power to get to any higher mph's, Here i have noticed for a while the more i push the pedal down the less power it has I have had to only give it 1/4 to 1/2 pedal any more it like floods it out or something, here tonight what ever this problem is here i barely made it home here 1/4 pedal is all i could give it at all here any more it like p.p..p..p..p.p.p's HERE CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!! Or give some advise on what this could be or things I could check? THANKS
    Have the throttle cable checked. Your engine is completely mechanical, so there are no computer or electrical issues causing this. The throttle cable for that generation had a tendency to fray over time and would result in the symptoms you describe. This was a recall from Dodge - Recall 970.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • billyo15billyo15 Member Posts: 2
    I had the torque converter changed out, and I have no more problems with my truck.
  • lafs2lafs2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 6.7 3500 mega cab which I just started using to pull a 36ft 5th wheel. Exhaust brake is great. Adds a extra sense of being in control when towing.
  • kartsmokerkartsmoker Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a 06, what kind of fuel mileage am I loooking at. Going to be pulling a enclosed trailer every weekend. Has there been any histories of problems with these trucks.
  • beaumontsdbeaumontsd Member Posts: 3
    have you tried changing the fuel filter you should change it at least twice a year and add fuel conditioner to every tank
    have your computer checked for codes mine used to drop to idle then when you pushed in the clutch come back to normal it was the TPS
    additives are good they keep the system lubricated and the fuel from jelling in the cold the best i've found is Diesel Service you get it at Wal-Mart
  • lmoelmoe Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2007 2500 6.7 Diesel; I've put 500 miles on it and still getting approximately 14 MPG. I'm wondering if this will get any better?
  • jblovejblove Member Posts: 3
    Can anybody tell me the factory HP and torque for this engine? This would be a California delivered truck with a 4 speed auto tranny.
    235 hp, 460 lb-ft. :)

kcram - Pickups Host
    Thanks! I know that there was a HO version but I did not think that was a California option.
  • steergazersteergazer Member Posts: 20
    Careful with the fuel conditioner! I used to be a faithful believer and user of it! Then I was told by our mechanic that it will remove the polish from your crank/cam? And wreck your engine. Has anyone else heard anything like this?
  • steergazersteergazer Member Posts: 20
    They claim the higher temp is to burn off and clean the exhaust deposits. The big rigs have even higher temps to achieve this.
    I am seriously considering buying a truck with the Cummins (likely non HO) and a 4 speed auto. It is a 2004 SLT quad SB 4X4 with 39k miles. In very good shape and can be had for about 22k. Any thoughts on this vehicle combo or year. Seems to get great reviews and I know that the non HO engine can be tuned with aftermarket gear to boost HP and torque. The new ones have the new larger engine and the have some great deals right now... Any help or thoughts would be appreciated as I am new to the Diesel world - with the exception of the 79 MBZ 240 D that I regret ever selling - even after 230K miles...now that car was build like a tank but was a bit of a gutless wonder on hills...
  • ghudsghuds Member Posts: 8
    My son has a 99 Dodge 2500, Cummins - The power steering pump was making noise so he checked the fluid and it was low. It seemed to be leaking from the top of the steering gear (gasket on the top plate?). He re filled it and it ran better but last night when he got home the wheels would not turn at all (no hydraulic pressure). Also, the brakes didn't feel right. He has the hydroboost system powered by the power steering pump as well. I am assuming that the steering pump is bad which would also affect the brakes. Am I correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • bchaney1bchaney1 Member Posts: 1
    My son bought a new Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. He is in college and only drives short distances. His truck will not run properly. He has called the service department and they just blow him off. It has to do with the emissions control or something. If he drives on the highway about 45 minutes at a higher rate of speed it temporarily fixes the problem. The service department said that only driving short distances will cause thousands of damage to his vehicle and that if he adds a chip "something like that" his warranty would be void. HELP!! He drove the same 1998 pickup for 7 years, finally got a new one and now this!!!!!!!
  • carnut17carnut17 Member Posts: 46
    bchaney1, first what is the truck doing EXACTLY. Second, don't add any perf. parts(chips etc.) until you find the problem. Third, how many miles are on the truck. Fourth, if i can't lead you to the problem when you reply or the problem is catastrophic (expensive/has to be done at a shop) they better fix it or take the truck back. If they don't you MUST take them to court and have them pay the court and attorneys fees as part of the suit. Make sure you bring a micro cassette recorder with you when you talk to the service dept. I't probably would be a small claims issue anyway. Let me know. Carnut17
    Thanks for the reply. The power steering pump was whining - mainly when cold. A few days later the power steering was gone and the brakes didn't feel right. My son has a friend who is a Dodge diesel mechanic and he said the pumps on these trucks are not that great, especially because they run the brake booster as well. He also has a hydraulic winch on the truck powered by the pump. The truck has about 150000 miles on it and is running a stage 2 programmer. Hope this helps.
    Thanks!
  • lonnie13lonnie13 Member Posts: 3
  • lonnie13lonnie13 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I have an 03 dodge ram 2500 diesel. I was told it has a fuel line heater from the factory. I dont know if this is true or not. If it is where is it located and what all does it keep warm. I am running biodiesel and this would be very good for me if it is true.
    Thanks
    Lonnie
    Well I replaced the power steering pump and everything is working perfect. The dealer wanted over $300.00 for a new pump - I picked up a reman unit with a lifetime warranty at Checker Auto Parts for $70.00. The job took about 4 hours total(R&R) mainly because you have to take off a bunch of other stuff to get to the pump assembly. If anyone needs any tips on doing this job let me know, I think I can help. :)
    What you have is a small heating element at the fuel filter... its job is to melt small gel particles, but it's not going to do much for a fully gelled fuel line. Best to keep anti-gel additive handy in the winter - that's what I do with my 2005 Ram 3500.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 29
    I BOUGHT A NEW 2007 RAM 2500 6.7 DIESEL AND HAVE HAD CHRONIC CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROBLEMS. LIGHT HAS BEEN ON 7 TIMES IN 6000 MILES. THE RECALL HAS BEEN DONE. SEVERAL SENSORS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AND IS NOW IN THE SHOP FOR TURBO CHARGER REPLACEMENT. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IF SO HAS YOUR DEALER BEEN ABLE TO CORRECT IT WITH ANY LONG TERM SUCCESS ?
    I ALSO HAVE THE SAME TRUCK. AT 6000 MILES I GET ABOUT 19 MPG ON THE HIGHWAY AND ABOUT 16 COMBINED. I'M HAVING CHRONIC CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROBLEMS THOUGH AND MY DEALER NOR DODGE CAN SEEM TO COME UP WITH A LONG TERM SOLUTION. THE CK ENGINE LIGHT HAS COME 7 TIMES IN 6000 MILES. TRUCK HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR THE LAST 8 DAYS FOR TURBO CHARGER REPLACEMENT. I JUST REQUESTED DODGE BUY MY TRUCK BACK SO I CAN GO BACK TO A GAS ENGINE. I HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK WITH YOUR NEW TRUCK THAN I HAVE.
    OLDTECH
    I have a 99 2500 4x4 Cummins with the 5 speed manual. It was replaced about 5 months ago with a reman unit by the previous owner. The unit had a warranty - unfortunately the guy I bought the truck from didn't tell me it was non-transferrable. Anyway, the problem is when you shift into 5th gear it makes a clicking noise (roughly at engine rpm) you can hear it and feel it in the stick. Only in 5th gear though - all other gears are fine. Any help would be great!
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE A DAMAGED TOOTH ON THE 5TH GEAR SPROCKET
    Thanks for the info - I thought it might be the case but someone told me that there is a nut on the end of the shaft that carries the gears that will sometimes back itself off. If it does, it will not completely go into 5th gear - it just needs to be tightened back up. ?????
    THATS A GOOD POSSIBILTY BUT THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW FOR SURE IS PULL THE UNIT AND DISASSEMBLE FOR INSPECTION