Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Gasoline Engine Questions

Comments

• dusty1318dusty1318 Member Posts: 3
    no for some reason it wont give it to me

i'm going later tomorrow to autozone to see if i can get it
  • brian19011brian19011 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all looking for some help here i have a dodge ram 1500 4.7L V8 short box regular cab about 60000 kms on it and latly it hhas developed a engine vibration it seems to only happen in between 70 and 100 km/h some people are suggesting it could be my spark plugs need to be changed any suggestions would be greatly appceiated
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Could be spark plugs, but in my experience the 4.7s run very well on old plugs. Then again, you've got a lot of miles on the factory plugs.

There could be a bad or dirty fuel injector.

Could have a weak ignition coil.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • rich3211rich3211 Member Posts: 1
    Dusty1318,
    I have a '98 dodge ram 1500 that does something VERY simmilar to what you are describing. I was traveling about 55+/- mph going up a slight incline. The check engine light came on, and the truck started to tremble almost as if i were driving over railroad tracks. It only stays that way for a moment then returns to normal. For me the $3.00 fix was when I filled the tank from almost empty was to put 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in the tank, and keep the tank full PLEASE post a response to let me know if this works for you too... :)
  • dusty1318dusty1318 Member Posts: 3
  • minardiminardi Member Posts: 30
    Had the same type of thing happen to my '07 Hemi the first day I had it. Started to vibrate badly while driving on the hwy, got worse as I accelerated. Check engine light came on after I shut it off and re-started it. Dealer found "misfire" code for one of the plugs/cylinders and reset it. No more problems since. Mechanic told me that until code is reset, cylinder will continue to misfire because ECM won't allow it to. Also told me that it's not unusual for this to happen to a new engine. Had a similar problem with my '02 Durango 5.9. Problem was a plugged/clogged fuel injector from bad gas. Removed/cleaned injector and problem disappeared.
  • jason41jason41 Member Posts: 2
    Possibly the fuel rails are rusted internally causing blockage or cat coverter.
  • jason41jason41 Member Posts: 2
    Check hoses in evap system, know to dry rot and crack. Can be fuel cap. Possible that the leak detection pump is bad.
  • booger3booger3 Member Posts: 1
    to any one not on the moon;

i am looking at purchasing a 1996 ram 3500 with 106k miles. what kind of fuel mileage could i expect with a continuous payload of 1k, and how many miles would i expect before major engine or transmission problems, provided it has had good servicing, 2-wheel dr.
    thanks booger
  • coinace1coinace1 Member Posts: 2
    2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 4.7 Liter, K&N cold air intake, 92K miles...heres the question - I recently changed my spark plugs and upon finishing the truck idles near 2K RPM's and because of the high idle shifts very hard into gear and it is hard to keep it stopped when in gear because the tranny is still engaged and wants to go. Also the K&N air filter never stops sucking air. When I give it gas the truck runs like normal but when idling it exhibits this nasty sucking sound and the RPM's are much higher than its normal 6-700 RPM's. Please help!
  • coop04coop04 Member Posts: 5
    i had tuned up my father in-laws 04 1500 with the 4.7 and i did the exact same thing with his. there is a vacuum elbow behind the intake manifold (out of site) that fell off when i did his and i didn't realize it until i started it and it would not idle and made a nasty sucking sound. when i found his it was spilt on one end so i ended up replacing it for a universal one from orielly auto parts that i had to trim to make fit if i remember correctly. i hope this helps
  • coinace1coinace1 Member Posts: 2
    Its funny that you say that because I had to maneuver some of those hoses in order to change the plugs. I have looked it over thoroughly though and couldn't find anything. I assume you are referring to the hose that disappears behind the intake manifold. I will check that one and let you know what I find out.
  • davlin75davlin75 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a used 2005 Dodge 4 dr 4x4. Not sure about the mileage the computer in it showed 11.5 est mpg. Clean truck 39,000 miles - $20,000. I am a little worried about the mpg. I have a 1996 Dodge 5.9L -mpg on it is not so great.Any suggestions from anyone?
  • joegold1joegold1 Member Posts: 1
    1995 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9l wont start it is getting spark and gas but wont fire up it wants to but just wont. It seems to happen once a year when it gets wet out snowy ect..

Any sugestions?

Joe
  • rrotenberryrrotenberry Member Posts: 1
    I started having problems with the truck running rough and back firing when it was low on gas.It only done this when it was almost on empty so I thought maybe it was picking up trash or something.Now it starts doing it if you let it get below half a tank.I pulled the tank on it to check for trash, none found.I have been told it may be the fuel pump,but don't understand why it would do it only with half a tank or less.You can put gas in it when this happens and it will run fine.The last time this happened the engine light came on and it won't go off,but it ran ok.Now it is running rough.It is not backfiring or anything it just is not running smooth.PLEASE HELP
  • lionheart_skilionheart_ski Member Posts: 1
    I own a 06 ram 5.7L Hemi and I love it. I drive to try to maximize my mileage, but during the summer I get an avg 15.5 mpg town and 18-19 mpg highway. It drops a little when I drive with studded snow tires, but on rare occasions (tail wind) I have gotten up to 21 mpg.
  • rimriderrimrider Member Posts: 3
    I bought a RAM 2500 99 new. Has 126000 miles, 5.9, automatic with 4X4. In the last six months, after starting the engine (starts and idles normally), after about 2-3 minutes the engine starts to lope. Increases 50 rpm then decreases 50 rpm. It progressively gets worse until the rpm is varying about 300 up and 300 down. I can step on the peddle and the rpm increases smoothly. If I do nothing the engine stalls but will immediately restart. If I try to drive there is no power. Shut down and wait about three minutes and start it and the idle problem is gone. Put it in gear and if I demand power (drive uphill) the engine backfires and stalls. If I turn downhill I can drive with the engine occasionally backfiring and after 5 minutes it's as if the problem doesn't exist. I've had it in the shop four times and no one can find the problem. I really like this truck, but, I'm about to throw it on the junk heap. Any ideas?
  • ryant99ryant99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 that is running rather badly . At tick over the engine is definatly missing, When driving during acceleration it smooths out but doesnt have the power it used too, But when the truck reaches say 60 mph and you ease off to drive at this all hell breaks loose the whole truck vibrates so bad it will dump a coffee cup from the cup holder, If you take your foot of the gas the engine goes back too uneven missing tick over, and you loose all braking booster power . Its been at one shop for 3 weeks they checked all the normal things and even changed out the computer but too no avail , they check compression and told me it was good . They recomended taking it too the main dealer, so that I did at this point it wouldnt start, Investigating they told me the catalitic converter was completley clogged they stung me $600 bucks for a new catalitic converter. They then tell me the truck has the wrong spark plugs in so they changed these, Still a problem so they now tell me the valves are sinking into the cylinder head and if i would like too pay them $ 2000 they will gladly fix this problem. The problem came on, one day it was fine the next day it wasnt, that and the fact i have good compression leads me too think the dealer wants $2000 bucks for a new boat or rv he wants too buy and his imaginary vavle job will cover this. My truck is dangerous too drive and I hope you can point me in some directions it has 140 k on the clock and the day before this was running as strong and good as it ever was. The motor before this was sewing machine quiet
    Thanks RyanT
  • trickletrickle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9L Magnum in it. I love the truck, but I am getting ready to do a tune up on it. Does anyone know which spark plugs are the best for this truck/engine?
  • androflashandroflash Member Posts: 2
  • androflashandroflash Member Posts: 2
    I just want to know if anyone has experienced a similar problem to mine and what actions did you take.
    The truck is brand new 8v 4.7 2008 and recently after being on the road for about 1 hour at about 70 mph the truck started to make loud noises (seemed like something broke) at this point it would not accelerate at all, then white smoke started to come out of the exhaust, it seemed like it would just die right there. The condition persisted for about another hour.
    When i took it to the dealership they couldnt find anything wrong.
    About one week later i did the same trip again and the same thing happened at about the same location, just that this time the noise was louder and more smoke came out.
    This time when i took it to the dealership they said something was wrong but they refused to give explanations, im now going for the third week driving a rented grand caravan because the truck still isnt ready.
    Anybody had this issue?
    Is the Hemi model showing issues as well?
  • fishingguidefishingguide Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have RAM 1500 5,7 l. Hemi year 2004. I have own it a half year now and no problems untill one week ago. First time I noticed the engine goes up and down a little. But only a few seconds. After this it running well again. The last week theese problems became bigger and a few times the engine stops when I driving. Espessially in low gas. (Yesterday i almost crash another car because the steering (servo) stops and this is a really big problem for security also...) I was at a car-reparing company and got a code. But they have not find out yeat how to solve the problem. It says something about EGR-valve and returning gas system... (It is difficult to translate from swedish to the english) Theese problems happend after the car has been parked at a rainy airport for some days and after I have did some engine-service (changed oils mostly). Before this the engine was running perfect. Can anyone help me with some good advices?
  • minardiminardi Member Posts: 30
    You've probably sold the truck by now but my obvious 1st question is "did anyone check your fuel injectors" and did your check engine light ever come on? Had similar problem with my '02 Durango 5.9. I had used some questionable gas and it caused corrosion in fuel rail, after it clogged one of the injectors. The injector was replaced and engine was fine ever since.
    Thanks for the input. After over a year of the truck sitting in the garage, last month I finally got an engine light and in to the shop it went. The entire problem was a bad O2 sensor. I don't know why their analyzer didn't pick it up before. It runs great now. Of course now, who can afford the gas to put in it?
  • pete1370pete1370 Member Posts: 1
    Hey rimrider, I am curious if you ever found out what the problem was. I have a 1999 Ram 2500 4x4 as well. Mine has a manual transmission. I have nearly 81000 miles on my truck and it is acting similar to what you discribe. This past weekend I replaced the plenum and intake gaskets which was really needed. My sparkplugs, wires, cap, and rotor have 5500 miles on them. The plugs look good and are gapped correctly. My idle is not quite as bad as you discribed yet, but when I accelerate hard or drive up a hill, she spits and sputters. I tested the fuel pressure last night and it was 50 psi at the rail, so I don't believe that it is a pump issue. No engine lights come on either. If you have any information I would greatly appreciate it.
    After over a year of hassles, the "ENG" lite suddenly appeared. The engine had been checked with a system analyzer before the lite and there wasn't any indication of a problem. The truck has 153,000 miles on it. After the light came on, an analyzer check of the systems showed an O2 sensor to be bad. They replaced the sensor and the truck has been running like new since then. I don't know why the analyzer didn't see the bad sensor before the "ENG" lite came on!??! But anyway, it seems analyzers aren't perfect! The tech's at the local garage and the guys down at the dealer's haven't got an explanation either! I guess the moral of the story is, don't believe analyzers.
  • ramsnjettasramsnjettas Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 QC short 4X4 with 80,125. the Check guages light flashed one time today on I-70 and also, the truck stalled backing out of a driveway but started back up 3 weeks ago. could these two issues be related and how do i fix them?
  • bctusmcbctusmc Member Posts: 2
    after the truck (2001
    Dodge 1500 v8 Mag reg cab 4x4) warms up. Also I have noticed that when on highway I can watch the tack rise as much as 500rpm or drop 3-400rpm for no reason while driving and I can feel what I thing is the trannie making a noise when rpm rises.. I am no mechanic.. I am a disabled vet and I have been wanting a good 4x4 for years. Hoping this is it.

Any ideas??
  • bctusmcbctusmc Member Posts: 2
    of a bad crank bearings??
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    a clunking type noise that increases or decreases with the speed of the engine.
  • tizmetizme Member Posts: 10
    Just finished and engine swap. Started new motor up runs good but no oil pressure. Anyone have any suggestions? Motor is 2500 V10 8.0L
    Is the new engine from the same year as the old engine. Are they both the same size. Is the check engine light on
    Regards,
    Corkscrew
    Yes engine is from the same year. We purchased it from an engine rebuilder and it was supposed to be so i am assuming it is. No lights are on in the dash just no oil pressure on the gauge ....
    What year is the truck?
    The V10 oil pump is of the gerotor type. I would have the rebuilder check it. The timing chain cover has to be removed to gain access. On a rebuilt engine I would think the pickup screen would be clean. I've heard of people priming the system but the problem returns sometimes.
    Mechanic said the screen was clean and free of debris. He was going to take out the gerotor from the old motor and switch them and see what tat does as a cheap fix. if thats what it was we will order a new one and put it in. If this is not it, anymore suggestions corkscrew ?
    The truck is a1999. He did prime the system thinking it was drawing air but that didnt work.
    Remove the oil pump cover and clean all parts. Check for unusual wear or scoring on cover, inner rotor and outer rotor. The Hanes manual would be very useful here as it goes into great detail.
    Funny you should mention the scoring. We removed cover and there were several gouges taken out of the housing on the inside and the gerotors were badly scored and pitted also. Putting in a new set and taking housing cover from old motor and seeing what it looks like and trying that. Will let you know the outcome tomorrow ....
    There are about a half dozen tolerances to be met between cover, inner rotor, outer rotor and even thickness. Be sure that the cover you are using is not scored or out of round.
    Ok, oil gerotors are in, still no pressure. There is oil pressure when you step on the accelerater about 35 lbs but when you take your foot off after about 15 seconds it drops to zero again .... so i'm guessing there is something bad inside the motor somewhere ? Did a manual oil pressure check to make sure gauge in dash wasn't wrong and manual one says 0 pressure as well ..
    Check the following dimensions:
    1 Inner rotor thickness= .5876 to .5886
    2 Outer rotor thickness= .5876 min.
    3 Outer rotor dia.= 3.246 min
    4 Clearance between rotor tips= .023 max
    5 Place a straightedge across inner surface of cover & rotors. If .003 feeler gage fits, replace cover.
    6 Clearance between cover and outer rotor= .006 max
  • dmarkumdmarkum Member Posts: 1
    Where would I find the 5 eng code for my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500?
  • scrappydog1scrappydog1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.9 Liter) I'm hereing a ticking nosie on the P/side of my engine. Its sound like the lifters. My oil pressure is good I change the all on time. One guy told me that my oil pump might be going bad. :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
    scrappy, Dont ignore the ticking noise your hearing. I changed my oil faithfully every 4-5 k with synthetic. I started hearing ticking and ignored it and it cost me my motor ! If you bought your truck used it might be sludge in the engine starving the upper part of your block . Thats what happened to me because whoever had it before me didn't look after it and no matter what you do the damage has already been done and ireversable ...
  • scrappydog1scrappydog1 Member Posts: 3
    I have 1996 dodge ram 1500 ...5.9 lt 117000 miles. I took by a mec and he said my rocker arm is lose. On these type of truck can you fix that problem?
    Just did an engine swap a few weeks ago. Today I did the first oil change since. Have put 30 miles on since oil change. I park my truck on a little bit of an incline with the incline making the oil in the pan run to the front of the vehicle and there is oil dripping out of the front of the pan on the passenger side where the filter is. Its not the filter its for sure coming from between the pan and the gasket. When the truck is running in this position the leaking stops but after the truck is shut off after about 5 minutes it starts to drip again. Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be or how to fix it ?
  • gymjunkie46gymjunkie46 Member Posts: 2
    scrappy seriously the guy is right i had the same thing on my 2001 5.9 40,000 miles ! even the dealer said it was a lifter ! turns out £6000 later it was the oil pump ! oh and dodge dont give warrantys here in the uk . good luck mate Brett
  • gymjunkie46gymjunkie46 Member Posts: 2
    hey guys , only done 2500 miles on my new engine its been running fine but this morning it wont start ! fuel guage reads empty and the digital readout just has 3 horizontal lines not even a 0 ? its got half a tank full any ideas ? ive checked all the fuses and relays and they seem fine hard to tell with relays though and im no elecrician ! help !!!
    I have a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 V10(see msg #99) further to this post , what should the correct oil pressure be reading. i get at idle an OP of 60 or so at idle. Is this n ok reading or should i be concerned with this number? I do not remember seeing a pressure like this before. It normally shows 35 - 40 psi at idle and 60 or so when motor is working .....