Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited August 2014 in Pontiac
Whether it's the coupe/convertible or sedan, share your G6 purchase experience here.

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Pontiac G6. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • regal1994regal1994 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Car_man. I need the residual and money factor for a 36mos. 12/15k smartbuy on a G6 GT sedan. Also, I saw $4,000 smartbuy cash back advertised in the Chicago area. Do you know if that is correct?

Thanks.
    Here you go regal1994. If you were to lease a 2006 Pontiac G6 through GMAC right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 4.0% and 53%, respectively. The 12,000 miles per year residual value for an otherwise identical lease would be 56%. As you can see GMAC publishes what are known in the industry as lease rates instead of the lease money factors that most other banks publish for vehicles. You can convert GMAC's lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. GM is providing $500 lease cash on this car, but the "SmartBuy" cash that you mentioned would only be available on GMAC "SmartBuy" aka balloon note contracts.

Car_man
    Host
  • motcrue68motcrue68 Member Posts: 10
    Just picked up my G6 today. I just wanted to ask if my monthly lease payments are in the ballpark with everyone else. It's a 2006 6cyl sedan (3.5L), AP3-remote vehicle starter, PCH-premium value package Alloy wheels, 6 disc cd , sunroof, power tilt and slide, PDD-conveniance package power adj pedals, floor mats, cargo net, T43-rear spoiler, JL9- 4 wheel anti-lock brks w/ traction contrl. Adj cap cost was $21361.51, trade-in $1000, And $1000 cash. This included 1st month payment, registration fee, and a few other items. Bottom line $279.49. Does this sound OK?
    Hi motcrue68. I would be happy to give you my opinion on your deal if you let me know what this car's full MSRP (including the destination charge) is. This is an important number because it will enable me to see how much of a discount you are being given and will help me to calculate a lease payment on the car that you got.

Car_man
    Host
  • robertkalealrobertkaleal Member Posts: 4
    Hello Car_man. I was curious if you could give me the lease residual and factor for a 42 month lease for a Pontiac G6 6 cyl with 4 wheel disc breaks, Premium Value Package with Sunroof, Convinience Package, and remote start. Can you use the "Red Tag Price", which GMbuypower.com quotes for this vehicle at $19623, for a lease?

Thanks,
    robertkaleal
    Hello robertkaleal. I haven't seen GM's lease program for a 42 month lease of this car, but I suspect that it is some slight modification of its 36 or 48 month lease program. If you were to lease any 2006 Pontiac G6 through GMAC right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 4.0% and 52%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be 4.0% and 44%. As you can see, GMAC publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. I would be happy to use this lease program to estimate what the monthly payment should be on the car that you are interested in, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP.

Car_man
    Host
  • fin1581fin1581 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Carman,

I was looking at a lease for a G6 GT coupe with the Premium Value package. The MSRP is $22940, including a $625 destination fee. I will be purchasing the vehicle with GM Employee pricing, which I thought was 4% below invoice but, please, correct me if I'm wrong. If I am correct, this leaves the selling price at $20717-$500 rebate= $20217. I am looking at a 36 month/36,000 mile lease with no money down(except first payment) and taxes rolled into the payments. Could you please give me the residual value and money factor(4% APR still?) for this vehicle? Another question was if any fees are waived with GM Employee pricing? If you could also include the 36month/15K per year numbers, that would be great. Thanks.
  • fin1581fin1581 Member Posts: 12
    Well, Carman looks to be a bit busy so does anyone else out there know what the residual and money factor on this vehicle would be? Also, I talked to a salesman and she said that GM employee pricing is 13% off sticker, not 4% below invoice....is this correct? And she also said that there is no way for her to tell me what the money factor is until the contract is written up? Is this some BS?
    -Fin
  • mercb230coupemercb230coupe Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I hope Carman does answer your question. If he does, if he, or someone else could answer mine that would be nice. I am thinking of leasing an 06 G6 GTP w 6 speed, leather and side airbags. I should be able to get the GM employee "friend" pricing. (Not the employee relative pricing which is a steeper discount.) If someone knows the pricing please let me know.
    Also, if anyone knows the current Northeast Lease "rates" for the 06 G6 please help me there. I would like to know the residual and the interest rate for leases from 24 to 36 months.

GM just extend the g6's $500.00 rebate to 3/31/06 by the way.
    Hi fin1581. I was under the impression that General Motors' employee purchase price was equivalent to dealer invoice minus dealer holdback, any advertising charges, and any available cash incentives. While this is definitely below invoice, it's probably not always 4% below. Another problem with your estimated price is that the $500 incentive that you mentioned is not available on leases through GMAC. GM's customer cash incentives are often not compatible with its special lease program. It sometimes has other cash incentives for leases, but not on the '06 G6 Coupe at this time.

As far as this car's lease program goes, if you were to lease any 2006 Pontiac G6 through General Motors Acceptance Corp. right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 4.35% and 56%, respectively. This car's 15,000 miles per year residual value would be 3% lower.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mercb230coupe. The 36 month lease program for the car that you are interested in should be the same as the numbers that I just posted in my previous message. GMAC's 24 month, 15,000 mile per year base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of any 2006 Pontiac G6 should currently be 4.35% and 62%, respectively. While GM's normal customer cash incentives are not available on leases, it is providing a $500 cash incentive on leases on of '06 G6 Sedan V6 sedan models through GMAC right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • waynelkwaynelk Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if there is a penalty or additional fee for ending a smartbuy contract and paying off the balance early?
  • blueeyes5blueeyes5 Member Posts: 1
    Car Man,
    Just finished discussing a "smart buy" purchase on a 2006 G6 4CYL WITH 7MILES FOR with $4200 in rebates. I informed the sales rep I wanted to buy it out right. She said I can put any amount down, lease it for 3 months and call them after 3 months to change it to a full buy. What is the cost to me?? This sounds too good to be true. I have never leased before and I don't want to end up paying more than what I am being quoted.
    Thanks.
  • waynelkwaynelk Member Posts: 5
    I am in the same boat except my deal was on a Cobalt, with $1800 smartbuy rebate. I was told I could pay it off,(1 month minium) with no penalty.Would cost about $50 in interest but still a good deal if it is possible. What makes me nervous is interest on $12,637 finance amount is $3,674 if I go the full 48 months (I.E. if it can't be paid off) Thats the reason I posted originally was to see if anyone knew the answer or had done it. Still haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone who knows.
    Thanks Wayne
  • wayzatapopwayzatapop Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way to find the best possible G6 lease (deal) in a particular city - such as in the Minneapolis area? I'm not very good at understanding the percentages discussed in the previous thread. I will lease at whatever length is necessary to get a good deal. Thanks.
    Hi wayzatapop. Negotiating a good lease is not nearly as difficult as it sounds. All you have to do is negotiate the lowest possible selling price that you can on the car that you want and then make sure that the dealer you are working with uses GM's base lease program to calculate your lease payment. Given the current market for this car, if you are in an area where there is a decent level of competition for your business I don't think that you will have much trouble leasing this car for close to dealer invoice. You can find the invoice price of this car by looking it up in the following section of this site: Edmunds.com New Vehicle Pricing. Once you know how much you want to pay, just make sure that the dealer you are working with uses GMAC's current base lease rate of 5.0% for 2006 Pontiac G6 4-cylinder models and 3.7% for G6 6-cylinder models to calculate your car's lease payment. If you would like, stop back in this discussion before you finalize your deal and I will be happy to estimate what your lease payment should be for you.

Car_man
    Host
  • curiousfcuriousf Member Posts: 2
    Would just like to know what to watch for when leasing.interest rate and do you also know what the residual is after 3 yr leasing on G6 Convertible GT
  • martymartmartymart Member Posts: 23
    The 15k residual for 36 months is 53. It does go up for 12k miles. If you extend the term to 39 months, it does drop by a point. The current rate is about 5% on the lease, so watch out and ask the salesman what the rate is when buying.
    Hello curiousf. I can give you an idea of what this car's current lease program is like. If you were to lease a 2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible through GMAC right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 4.95% and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • gmerilligmerilli Member Posts: 25
    Just bought a Pontiac G6 Convertible(with Premium and Sport Package) not only was there no ADM...dealer took $1000 off sticker and got me preferred GMAC financing(5.9% - about a percent off Bank and regular GMAC financing). Dealership was a small dealership in a rural area. They maybe had 20 new cars and a bigger used car lot. So don't believe those take-it or leave-it dealers...there are some dealers willing to negotiate.
  • vagatorvagator Member Posts: 18
    I just bought a 2007 tonight I pick it up tomorrow. We were looking at Mugtangs and had pretty much settled on getting one. But I was on my way to look at them at 1 of the 6 or so dealers I was checking with when I noticed the Pontiac dealer. I am an old "goat" guy and like Pontiac better than ford anyway. I had looked at the G6 hardtop convertiable some time back but thought they were over priced. At that time the stickers were in mid 30s to 40s. The dealers around here are all over priced. You have to really play the game to get a good deal. I ended up paying just over 31K. that is a bit more than Edmunds' TMV but this dealer does have free oil and filter change as long as you own the car, free towing, and some other things that will make it a good deal if I use the free stuff. I told the wife she could pick the car this time. I think she is in 3rd childhood as she said had to be a convertable. I am not a fan of them due to leaks in the normal ones. I was glad to find price had came down. I like the hard top convertable idea much better, if it works. I am a bit dis-heartened by some of the post. I hope they have the kinks worked out in the 2007 model. I will let you know.
  • caffeinatedcaffeinated Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my silver 2007 G6 Convertible GTP at Holiday Pontiac in Fond du Lac, WI. They have no-haggle pricing. The sales price on the tag was 400 less than the sticker. I jumped on ithaving come from a dealership in Milwaukee that wanted to start at 3,000 above sticker.

My family is absolutely loving it. My wife says that the car makes her want to go places.

I did create an MP3 CD to cerify that wouldn't work. That was the case, MP3 CDs cannot be read by the stereo. It just spit it out at me like a kid taking a bite out of a bar of baking chocolate
    I know what you mean about the wife wanting to "invent" places to go to drive it. I had actually planned on buying in AUG or SEP. She has been dropping hints to buy now. I am sure that is because she has a family reunion in AUG and wanted to gloat a bit, go figure. I was wrong on the price I paid. I forgot that almost 2K was an extended warranty plan that takes it to 5 years or 100K miles. I don't usually buy extended warranties as most are the drive train only. This one is bumper-to-bumper. I was thinking mostly of starter and alternator replacement. they usually go out around 50K. 2K is a lot for those two items but my big concern is the convertible operating stuff. It looks like a lot to go wrong there. BTW, does yours have body side molding. Mine doesn't, it is a GT model, I did some looking around on the lot before I bought and noticed that none of the 2007 had the molding and all of the 2006 had it. I checked with the parts department and the door side molding is listed, but not the rear quarter panel. The 06 and 07 have the same body so I am having the door side moldings ordered, painted and installed by the dealer. The moldings are over priced at 75.00 each from the dealer but they get you with the required painting. they all come primered and the bodyshop will do the crimson red paint on them. It is a rip off but I can see "nicks" up and down the doors in a month or so if I don't have it done. All of the dealers seemed to have the hardtop convertibles over priced around here. I had checked the G^ prices a few months back and ruled them out because they were selling at ADM prices. I found the original sticker on mine the dealer had on it under the passenger seat. It had a 8895.00 ADM on it. No way I am ever paying sticker, much less above sticker. I think Pontiac got on to the dealers about the over pricing because they wanted more of these cars on the road. BTW, now is a good time to buy a GTO if you want one. they will not be made in 07 and my dealer had two on the lot and prices were below 25K. The dealers had a big ADM on them when they came out also. I think that is why the model hasn't made it, and also drove Pontiac to have a talk with dealers about ADMs. But that is just my opinion. I hope we both are happy with the deal and cars a year from now, have fun.
    :)
    Not on the subject of the car, just my .02 cent on the no-haggle dealers. IMO, there is no such thing. These dealers just staryt at a lower price they figure people will get them down to anyway, but they will still haggle. They usually this via the allowance on your trade-in. That way they can still say they don't haggle on the new car price. That is technically correct. I never trade-in so they have a bit harder time with me, but they still find a way to get the car to the price I am willing to pay. I bought my first new car in 1965. Back then I bought a new one every 12-14 months. Man was I stupid. But that was in the muscel-car era and I just had to have that car a little faster or whatever. But that is another story. I used several variations to know what I can get the car for before I ever step on a lot, when it is open anyway. I had to do a lot of looking on Sundays in days past. Now, the internet makes it a lot easier. My "rule-of-thumb" is simple. My grandfather taught me that you can get the car for 10-20% less than the sticker price. the only exception is if you just "have" to have a model that is hot demand at the time. For information, below are the steps I go through and the principals I use in buying cars.

Principals:
    do not wait until you need a car to buy one. If you do, do not let the sales person know you are on a limited time table. The longest it has ever taken me to get the deal I wanted was 3 days. That was when I walked out of the dealer and waited for them to call me saying something new had happened and they could meet my price.

When I am talking price it is always "out the door" price. that is tax, title, lic., processing fee etc. I have walked out of more than one dealer because I have told them that and they insist on giving me the "car price" only. they expect me to just go ahead and take the deal once they fill out the contract and there are other costs on it, no way. I biggist problem with sale people that they listen, but go ahead and do thier normal routine anyway.

There is no car that "have to have". If the one I want is more than I want to pay at one dealer, I can get one just like it at another. That is especially true today as all car are produced in 3 basic price groups. these are Basic, middle, and top-end in either sport or luxery options. I usually go for the middle or high-end myself. that is because I insist on leather seats and have to go to the higher end models to get them.

Steps:
    I start the process 18 months before I plan to buy. this is not a time consuming thing until the last 2 weeks to a month or so. I just monitor changes in prices mostly.

Research on the internet and decide on 3 or 4 cars I would like. I say this, but in the end I usually do get to really liking a specific. I have never had to go to my second choice.

Go to dealer when they are not open and find what the 3 standard levels, basic, mid, high, include. Regardless of the options offered, most have packages of bundled options.

I decide on the level I want and get the prices from the net, things like the Edmunds TMV. I use the TMV to get an idea of how dealers are treating specific cars, not as what I will pay for it.

I multiply the MSRP by .85. That gives me my target price out the door. That is @ 20% below sticker with the tax, title, lic., etc added on.

When I go the lot, I start looking at model less expensive than what I want. I let the salesperson think they talk me up to a different model. When I bought my 97 monte Carlo I began by looking at Malibu.

When we do get to looking at what I am really interested in, and I am asked what I am willing to spend I give a range that is a thousand or so less than my true amount. this may a little dis-honest, but when was the last time a salesperson was honest with you. It is just part of the game.

I make certain that the sales person understands that any price they give is out the door.

We play the game of the salesperson checking with thier boss a couple of times, which they don't really have to do. they know what they can sell the car for. The wife and I never talk about the deal while the saleperson is gone. Yes, some dealers do have phones setup so they can listen in.

If I don't have the deal I want after three times, I leave. I do not let them wear me down and play the shell game with numbers. I have not had to leave a dealer more than 4 or 5 times over the years.

A word on financing. I set up my financing before I start. I have a pre-approved loan before I start shopping. But if you do this, do not let the salesperson know it. also, don't be mis-lead by low interest rates. your best bet is your cerdit union if you belong to one. Even if the dealer's rate is lower you will end up paying more for the car. It is all in the wording of the financial contract.

My biggest problem. I am sorry to say it is my wife. If she is crazy about a car she can't keep quiet about it to the salesperson. In earlier years I have had to leave dealerships because I knew the salesperson knew the wife was crazy about the car. She is better now, but I thought I was going have to leave on the G6 deal because of this. Instead I worked the deal after the wife had went back home. I had to come over as sort of a jerk letting the saleman know the wife would get over it if she didn't get the car and I would deal with that.

One last word. What if sale people read this and reconize what you are doing? Who cares, the bottom line is they will sell the car for 15% under MSRP out the door. They may not like it, but I am not at the dealership to make friends, we are not going to have a beer later, be fishing buddies, etc. I am not going to try and match wits with the sales person, they do this everyday and will always win. I just know what I am willing to pay, and I know it is a fair price. I stick to that. If I do get a salesperson with an over inflated ego, I go to another dealer. If they really piss me off, I will come back to the same dealer a week or so later and buy the same car from a different sales person. Near the end of the deal I make sure the manager knows that I was there before but did not buy the car because of the sales person I had. That will make certain that the original sales person does not get a cut of the sale. Today, once a sales person gets your name it goes into thier computer. The dealer knows if you have talked to a different sales person. Some have policies of spliting the sales comission between sales people if you talked with another one a few days ago.

Well, I have rambled long enough, I hope this helps some people.
  • caffeinatedcaffeinated Member Posts: 2
    Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    Vagator-

Thanks for the lengthy write-up. Can you tell us which dealer you're talking about?? Are you implying they have brand new 2006 GTOs for $25k or less?? That would be a steal of a deal.

Thanks again.
    Brian
  • jonivjoniv Member Posts: 5
    I walked into the dealer on Saturday, July 22nd and leased the only 2006 GTP convertible they had (black w/ black) including the premium package and remote start. I even got it at supplier pricing ($30,590) which is $1,500 under MSRP.

I took it in this morning for 3 issues: a known radio issue where the xm1 and xm2 presets keep overwriting each other. They ordered a new radio. Some of the rubber molding has come loose and they fixed that. Also, I was hearing lots of cracking type noises from the seating area which they claim to have taken care of. I pick it up after I leave work.

I haven't had any trouble with the top yet, other than some minor hesitation ocassionally. I have lowered it and raised it several times already without issue.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I hope it was an XM receiver they ordered for you and not the actual radio. ;)
    Yes, you are right, its the XM receiver ordered per bulletin #1844948. :D
    Hi Car_man,

This is my first lease and I'd like to know if its possible to get a bad deal on a lease I guess. I have a 39 month lease with 10k miles per year. I think I was told the lease rate was 6.5% and not negotiable. I have a 2006 G6 GTP convertible. The MSRP was 32,090 but I got supplier price of 30,590 plus the Titanium protection to get to 30,978. There's a $595 GMAC administrative fee (is that standard?). Also my residual seems high maybe? It's $18,576.30. Finally my payments are $491 which seem high from what I'm reading but I didn't put any money down or have a trade in. I only made the first months payment plus license/title. Thoughts? Thanks! :confuse:
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Nice :) - That is the Service Information Document number.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    This rocks man! You bought the convertible? I am curious as to why most people are interested in the hardtop, but little is said about the sedan and coupe? Any thoughts :confuse:
  • gmerilligmerilli Member Posts: 25
    I have had my new 2007 G6 convertible for two weeks now. I like the remote start but I am not sure why they put a 2 start limit in between actually using the key to start the car. I found this out because I was showing the remote start feature to a friend and after two times it refused to start. I thought it was going to go back to the dealer but I read the manual and found the limitation.

This is my first XM Satelite radio. very nice. I can't believe thouhg that in this high end stereo the CD player does not have MP3 capability. My friend bought a $17,000 Ford fusion and his 6 CD changer had MP3 capability.

The roof is especially nice although a bit slow. It seems to take about 45 seconds and you have to keep the button pressed the whole time and it is above the windhield. I would suggest putting the button lower or making it truly one touch where you press it once and the roof opens completely.

One odd problem that I had was I went to get into the car and it was completely dead. I opened the hood and was trying to get the plastic cover off of the battery compartment and I got frustrated and smacked the top of the cover and the car came to life with the alarm system blaring. Took it to the dealer and he said that the neg pole on the battery was stripped and he replaced it.
  • padriver1padriver1 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased the 2007 G6 GT Convertible.. took possession at 11pm on a Thursday due to a late negotiations (dealer took forever to get paperwork going and then didn't disclose the financing arrangements until we were signing - BAD BAD, after we discussed what I was willing to work with). We had to re-work the numbers and the extended warranty was removed from the car sale to make the numbers work.

Due to the service center being closed that night, they told me to come back the following day after work and have the car detailed. I drove back and the service center was closed - all gone for the day. ooook. Was told to come back the following day (saturday).

I brought the car in Saturday, they had it for 1.5 hours to detail it. I had already taken all the stickers and protective strips off - it was unsightly to drive like that. I put the top up for them to clean the vehicle top to bottom.

I picked up the car finally cleaned and 3 hours later when to put the top down and it wouldn't go down. It would only open the trunk. I drove it to the dealer on Monday and they indicated that there was a part (a clip?) on order for the vehicle. The order was placed 14 DAYS before I purchased the car. NO mention of that when I bought the car. Worse yet, the part is on backorder. No use of my top down features now until the part makes its way here.

I've since noticed this past weekend (now 10 days into owning the vehicle) that the driver side door is not sitting flush with the body panel above the handle. Took the car to the dealer yet again and they agreed that it needed to be fixed, in the body shop. They asked to repair it when the car is in for repair on the top.

My car has almost 1200 miles on it.. I drive 100 RT a day for work. I've had it for 12 days. My warranty will be up in less than 18 months. What else is going to go wrong with this vehicle? Pontiac is involved and the dealer has offered a mere pittance as compensation for this issue. The part for the top should be in sometime in Mid August.

Happy for my XM radio(had it before in my Murano). Car hesitates when I'd expect it to get up and go. Leather, heated seats, nice. Remote start, nice. Problems with the car from the start? Not so Nice.
    There definitely seems to be some issues with the car based on what I keep reading. I've had my 2006 GTP Convertible for 11 days now and its been into the shop once already, but thankfully all minor issues.

I have a new XM receiver on order to be replaced, some of the rubber molding came loose at the base of the rear window and on one of the wings that comes out during opening and closing and some odd cracking noises coming from inside the car.

After fixing the interior noises, they detected a noise coming from the trunk area but it was too hot for them to ride around in the trunk to listen lol. So when I take it back in for the XM receiver, they will look at the trunk noise. So far no major issues with top going up or down.
    They had two out front for 24-25K when I bought. I didn't take a close look, just the MSRP price at bottom of sticker. this was a Greenbrier Pontiac on Military Hi-way in Norfolk, VA. They also had a 2006 solace that they were having to sale as used because it had been registered. It only had 77 miles on it. I didn't check deep into the story. The sales person talked about sometimes pontiac execs, etc use them a little. You like a demonstrator. Of course I know that is not the case with this one because those use dealer tags and are not registered as this one had been. My guess is someone bought it and returned it for one reason or another, but can't be sure.
    BTW, I am still loving the G6 convertible.
    :)
    About the TOP operation, that is my biggest worry also. If you take a look at all the "stuff" by opening the trunk with the top up it looks like so many things to go wrong. So far I have raised and lowered the top maybe 25 times with no problems. I hope it stays that way. I do think it has hesitated from time to time, but never stopped or failed to open/close. :)
  • txn428txn428 Member Posts: 41
    Hi everyone,

I am in the market for the G6 Sedan V6 AT and I was wondering what everyone is paying for it in the Bay Area. How much of the price difference for the V6 and the GT model? Is this a good time to purchase this car or should I wait till the year end clearance?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs. :)
    Hi joniv. It is definitely possible to get a bad deal on a lease. This does not necessarily mean that you did. If you were able to get your Pontiac G6 Convertible through GM's Supplier Purchase Program, you actually probably got a very good deal on it...at least on its selling price. GMAC's base lease rate on the 2006 G6 Convertible is 4.95%. Make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses this lease rate instead of the 6.5% rate that they quoted you to calculate your car's lease payment and you're all set. GMAC charges an acquisition fee of $595 on every vehicle that it leases and individual dealers do not have the authority to waive this charge. Dealers cannot alter vehicles' residuals either. If your car's residual value is high this is actually a good thing. Sure its lease-end purchase price is higher, but you will have to pay for less depreciation over the life of your lease and your lease payment will be lower.

I will use GMAC's actual lease program to calculate a lease program on this car so that you can compare what I come up with with what the dealer quoted you. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible with an MSRP of $32,090 and a selling price of $30,978 through GMAC right now for 39 months with 10,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $427. As you can see, the lease payment that you were quoted looks slightly high to me, even if it includes sales tax. Part of the difference is probably the higher lease rate that the dealer you are working with is trying to use.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Thank you! Couple more questions...how do I find out what GMAC's base lease rate is so I can show them and does it make a difference between the GT or the GTP trim? Also, since I already signed the paperwork do I have any options to get the 4.95%?
  • padriver1padriver1 Member Posts: 4
    Update to this issue.

-Part was received on August 11 and replaced later that week, along with a realignment/tightening of both doors as the driver side door had started to slip and not remain flush with the body panel. Also had them investigate why the car was shimmying at 55-65 mph with only 1500 miles on it. They fixed the top (it now makes a *boing* sound on the initial release which I need them to look at) and the doors. They balanced/aligned the tires which took care of the shimmy. Also noticed upon tight scrutiny that the front bumper does not line up evenly with the hood of the car(we took possession of the car in the dark, against my better judgement). Have been in contact with GMC about all of this and they are attempting to do right for me. Dealership has felt that paying my first month's car payment is compensation enough for the problems I've had. I'm waiting to see what GMC does as this car just seems to have lots of little things going on with it.
  • aaamorrisaaamorris Member Posts: 21
    >>Congratulations on your new G6! Please also post your experience in Pontiac G6: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

OK, I will:

I picked up my 2007 G6 convertible a few days ago. I decided on a specific color and package combination, with side airbags, and would not waiver from that position. (I really like the two-tone ebony/morocco leather seats -- takes the sportiness up a notch.) This made the search a little more difficult, but my local dealer (Tustin Pontiac) found one at another dealership and did a swap. Other dealerships offered to do the same, but only if I would sign on the dotted line first. I told them no negotiations until the car was sitting in front of me. The car arrived at my dealer two days later. I wasn't in a mood to haggle, so I printed out the pricing information from this site and said I would pay only the "what others have paid" price, which was about $500 above dealer invoice and $500 below MSRP. The dealer agreed. Amazingly, when I went into financing, the dealer had knocked off another $500, calling it a rebate or something. No silly add-ons like alarms, clear-coat, or overpriced chrome wheels. Overall, the most pleasant car buying experience I have ever had.

There are not that many options for this car, but you may want to print out the option page from this site and understand the interaction between the packages. During my searching, some of the salespeople (not at Tustin Pontiac) provided some misinformation out of confusion. For example, I was told twice that I would need to find a GTP if I wanted the 3.9L engine. In reality, the GT with the sports package includes that engine. Tip for when you are cruising the lots: If the car has two chrome exhaust tips, it has the 3.9L engine. In addition to the larger engine, the sports package adds the StabiliTrak, 18 inch wheels, automatic air conditioning and 6-way power driver seat. I'm 6-2, and my head hits the roof on the passenger's side, but I can move the driver's seat down, which provides ample headroom. Also take a hard look at the premium package (which is required if you get the sports package). That package also gives you the power driver seat, the leather "appointed" seats, remote vehicle starter system, and a mandatory item for me -- XM radio.

I've only had the car a few days now, but I really love it so far. No problems with the top. Spent most of a day driving up and down the coast, and I took it on the ferry to Balboa Island. It is quite the head-turner, especially when the top is going up or down.
    You;re welcome, joniv. I am not aware of any source that provides information on manufacturers' current lease programs to the general public. Since you have already signed a contract, it may be difficult for you to get it changed.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Purchased a '07 G6 Base in Iowa with some BIG rebate assistance.

18,540 Base
    650 Destination
    295 Preferred Pkg
    50 Engine block heater
    400 ABS and Traction Control
    900 Sun & Sound Pkg
    20,835 MSRP
    1,000 Discount
    2,000 Rebates (includes $1K Conquest for Toyota trade-in)
    2,305 GM Card Rebate
    15,530 Net Sales Price
    1,835 Trade-in (KBB and Edmunds average was 1,347)
    13,695 Price after trade allowance
    49 Doc Fee
    13,744 NET Purchase Price plus State Tax Title License

We get it Wednesday. They will trailer it from the Twin-City area. Financed at 5.99% APR for 6o months. :)
  • dxdenis01dxdenis01 Member Posts: 1
    hey carman how is this deal:

#1 the msrp is = $22,174

#2 the selling price for the car is = 19,853 after rebate

#3 lease rate is 3.3%

#4 the residual value is $11,742

#5 the lease term is 36 months

#6 the annual mileage is 12,000

its a 2007 g6 gt v6
    the vin # is 1g2zg58n774xxxxxx
    Hi dxdenis01. General Motors' normal customer cash incentives are not available on leases. It does provide special lease cash incentives on select models though. Right now the only lease cash that is available on the 2007 Pontiac G6 is $750 in GM's Northeast region. If you are in that part of the country you are in luck. If not, you will not be able to take advantage of any cash incentives on your lease. The lease rate that you were quoted for this car is right in line with GMAC's base rate for it. This is always a good thing. The selling price that you were quoted for this car looks very attractive.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • easye2easye2 Member Posts: 26
    I live in the Twin Cities...where did you get it? Did you do an internet quote? Do you have to trade in a car to get the 1K conquest $? Did you happen to know if they had any 06's left? Thanks.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    easye2 --- Sorry for this late reply. I should check more often...

Bought the G6 through my local dealer in Iowa. They did a dealer trade with a dealer in New Richmond, WI. The rebates I got ended November 15th.
  • fenwahfenwah Member Posts: 58
    Someone clue me in on this. I submitted a quote request from Edmunds on a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP. There aren't too many around...maybe 20 or so in my state. Anyway, I submitted an email indicating that I was interested in what their best out the door price on a specific car. Of course, I didn't get the out the door price...but was quoted a price that did not include TTL.

Anyway, when I go to the Pontiac web site, I find the vehicle that I want with the correct VIN number. It clearly states, Total Vehicle Price of $28,190.00.

When I go to the gmbuypower web site, the total vehicle price jumps to $29,335 (an increase of $1145). Current offers shows $0.00, then the Net Price shows a total of $28,190.

The $28,190 is what Edmunds is showing me as well with all the options.

Okay...so I shoot him another email asking him why the increase of $1145 over MSRP? Here is his response...

"The MSRP price of $29,335 is the
    total sticker price of the vehicle, including destination charge and all
    local market advertising, which GM has to add to the initial price of
    $28,190. The actual window stickers and invoices reflect this."

Okay, so what he is saying is that the destination price was not originally in there (but I see it as in there). I am also told that there are local market advertising which GM has to add to the initial price of the $28,190? Huh?? What is this all about?

The way I see it is this (as is on Edmunds and Pontiac's own web site)

Standard Vehicle Price for a 06 G6 GTP: $23,065

Total Options $ 4,500
    (6 speed manual, leather package,
    Onstar, Premium Value Panoramic sunroof,
    side airbags - $500 premium value
    package discount)

Destination charge $ 625
    --------
    $28,190

Has anyone encountered a dealership charging you over one thousand dollars for local market advertising? And why in the heck would I have to pay it?

Any insight into this would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

By the way, I was quoted a price of $26,150...which is $7 less than invoice on the $28,190 price from Edmunds and Pontiac. And honestly, I really don't think that's a great deal considering how long the 07s have been selling at the dealership. I was hoping for $1k or $2k below invoice.

I would not qualify for the $1000 cash back since I would be taking the 0% financing instead.
This discussion has been closed.