Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Engine Questions

2»

Comments

• lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    I believe that it uses the same oil filter as a Toyota Echo.
  • sambo42xasambo42xa Member Posts: 3
    Yes, just what it says. Bought my 2007 Hatchback Automatic in RED back in Sept.06 and got 4800 on it now. The flashing "maint. required" tells me I need to change the oil (between 4500-5k). From reading these post's, I guess I'm NOT going to put in a FRAM Oil Filter. I guess I CAN use synthetic Oil. I also think I'm going to let Toyota know I'm changing over to Synthetic Oil (for records) and there after. I DID NOT see any mention though (unless I missed it somewhere else?) on the viscosities that are being used for Oil/s. Should I go with what it says in the Manual? Also, just for info. I've seen on this forum on gas mlge., I do about 400 miles a week, drive all hiway and cruise about 70-75 miles per hour and I'm getting about 38 mpg. Better than 10 with my truck!! Hey, anyone know where to pick up a pair of rain guards for the front windows? I know they got them for the sedans but not the Hatchback ..yet.....unless they do and I can't find them.
    Thank You,
    sambo42xa
    (1st. time user on Forum)
    New Hampshire :)
  • butchcjgbutchcjg Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Yaris (bought in June) is perfect...I love her!

But, I do notice that she's slow to start in cold weather. She turns over several times, then finally starts. And one it took awhile and black smoke came out.

Anyone else having this problem? We've had relatively warm weather so far, so I'm a little nervous about when it's way below freezing!

(I also have the transmission thing that others talk about here...)
  • atlantikiaatlantikia Member Posts: 7
    yes, as a matter of fact i have noticed this. also, my car (when in netural at traffic lights and such) seems to 'shake' a little. i dont know, its hard to explain, its like when i start letting off the clutch in gear and not hitting the gas and it starts the beginning stages of stall out.

anyways, i took it to the dealer to address both issues, and they said nothing was wrong. so i guess slow starts in the cold is just a fact of life w/ the yaris. i wouldnt worry
  • mickthegreatmickthegreat Member Posts: 1
    Like you, I just recently bought a Yaris (I've had it for about 2 weeks now)...

It drives great; however, earlier today, the "Check Engine" light came on for some unknown reason. I'm not sure what the deal is -- considering that I drive my car (on average) like 5 miles a day at most (back-and-forth to school).

My last car was an absolute dud of a Toyota Camry and was CONSTANTLY breaking-down with little, fluke problems. I'm really hoping that this whole "check engine" thing isn't a sign of things to come... :(
  • dcd5dcd5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 ECHO coupe, manual, and I'm looking at a base model used 4 door Yaris Sedan, auto, to replace it. It is coming from a private seller and only has 11000 miles on it. I test drove it and the only "negative" thing I noticed was that the engine was really putting some heat out when I checked under the hood after the drive. Is this normal for this car? When I tested my ECHO after similar driving, the engine is no where near this warm (and I believe the engine is very similar). Could it be the difference between the manual and auto transmission?
  • chinatown77chinatown77 Member Posts: 2
    While driving this morning, my Yaris was suddenly filled with smell of gas. I had to open the windows. I looked at the gas indicator. The last bar was blinking. I saw two bars like five minutes ago. Is this normal?
  • chinatown77chinatown77 Member Posts: 2
    While driving this morning, my Yaris Sedan was suddenly filled with smell of gas. I had to open the windows. I looked at the fuel indicator. The last bar was blinking. There were two bars like a couple of minute back. Is this normal or a sign of problem with the engine?
  • schwinnerschwinner Member Posts: 3
    Just out of curiosity, do most people use the one- touch start function, or hold down the key in start like a normal car? I was wondering if the switch lasts longer when you let it do it's thing.
  • schwinnerschwinner Member Posts: 3
    As for the gas smell, I would immediately do a visual check under the car and under the hood! If you can smell it you should be able to see it wet or dripping somewhere, it's not really an engine problem, but definately a safety concern if a fuel line is leaking. Good Luck P.S use a flashlight instead of a lighter to check for fuel leaks!
  • fredoniaheadfredoniahead Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2007 Toyota Yaris April 2006. It has been a wonderful little car and still is. My 'check engine' light came on for the first time today. The car is running fine; I see nothing wrong at all. I, too, frequently get my gas at a BP station. That is an interesting tip. The next time I fill up I will see if it goes out. Other than that, I do not know what to do. The car is running great. I have checked the popular 'loose gas cap' issue, but that did not remedy the situation. Maybe disconnecting the battery terminals for a reset will work?.
  • familyman5746familyman5746 Member Posts: 4
    The check engine light can come onin any car if you are using fuel from a high traffic gas station. They fill the tanks more often and will stir up condensation from the bottom of the storage tanks. I would recommend a product called HEET that will remove the moisture in your tank. The moisture can clog your injectors and cause the light to come on.
  • fredoniaheadfredoniahead Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for the info. Fortunately, the problem has been resolved. I think I got some bad gas. After refilling and putting in a bottle of dry gas, the check engine light remained on even though the car is running perfectly. I unhooked the battery cable and the light went out. A reset, apparently. WHEW!!.
    How it started was a few weeks ago on a cold morning, my Yaris missed and kept shutting off. It finally worked itself out but hesitated at low speeds. I then put in fresh gas and the problem disappeared. I later learned that other people had the same problem at this particular station. I am not getting gas there anymore.
    Thanks for your input and advice. Cody
  • maracuchomaracucho Member Posts: 2
    Hi, someone can help me on this?.. i have a 2006 yaris Hatchback, i have been note that my car has a particular shaking movement (like a unbalance rotor) or vibration when i am parked with the engine on.. this condition appears few months ago.. does somebody know if i have a mechanical problem on my engine? should i go to a technician?
  • kellynankellynan Member Posts: 1
    a huge flat piece of metal fllew under my car and made an explosive noise. When I pulled off road, metal had rolled up into a big ball. Do you know what this noise could be??
  • hotglassmommahotglassmomma Member Posts: 1
    I rarely use Shell because last year we filled up with what turned out to be pure ethanol (their "mistake") and it wrecked the fuel system. I just finally gave in and went there again and what do you know, the check engine light stayed on (again) the next time I started the car. It isn't a loose cap, I have driven 150 miles since checking it and the light is still on. I hesitate to call a repair shop again. Any ideas?
  • ellenbettyellenbetty Member Posts: 7
    I have noticed the same problem with my 2007 Toyota Yaris. Using just Amoco/BP gas seem to help.
  • traceyjimtraceyjim Member Posts: 1
    3 days before i am going to trade in my yaris, it decides it dosent want to turn on. you can turn the key and all the lights and music and everything will come on but nothing will happen in the engine. any suggestions???
  • joeyrabjoeyrab Member Posts: 65
    Ok, I am getting a Yaris 5 speed sedan. (Toyota's 1.5 is legendary for reliability and just read in Forbes magazine that the Yaris is one of the top 5 cars to go over 200,00 with the least of amount of $ put into it...the other toyota in the grouping was the Sienna)

ANYWAY, I wanted to start up on synthetic oil and I wanted to change the antifreeze to the "pet safe" type. Does anyone believe these idea's of mine are good? I truely believe in the safe antifreeze, but what about the synthetic oil? (If a dog gets into a very small amount of antifreeze, it is not pretty.)
    Thanks.
  • isthatahemiisthatahemi Member Posts: 2
    Only joking, (somewhat), but seriously, use the spec'd coolant.
  • toyotafan6toyotafan6 Member Posts: 49
    I guess I'm old-school, I know the maintenance schedule says to change the oil at 5,000 miles but this seems like an awfully long time to go before the first oil change for my 2012 Yaris LE. I've never gone longer than 3,300 miles for an oil change before for any of my previous vehicles.

Right now I'm at 2,050 miles on the odometer - I guess the stuff you hear about metal particles floating around from the engine being broken in doesn't apply to today's cars, right?

Most of my driving is stop and go -
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I guess the stuff you hear about metal particles floating around from the engine being broken in doesn't apply to today's cars, right?

No it doesn't.

Mine is at 4700 miles now, will probably get its first oil change next week if I get the time....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• agirlygirlagirlygirl Member Posts: 1
    Hummm! I just got gas at BP yesterday, and my engine light came on too! I have a 2007 Yaris and haven't had any problems with my car. The car is behaving normally. The light was on for awhile today, but went off on its own. There must be something up with the BP gas. :(
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    The 2015 GT looks GREAT! can't wait to see it in person, and give it a test drive!