Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 2007

Comments

• lovembadlovembad Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have any idea where I can find a Chrome bumper Guard for my 2007 Rav4. The only site that have anything close to it is Waag.com, but theirs are all black. There is no Chrome. HELP.
  • dtown40dtown40 Member Posts: 18
    You might try earlowen.com. They have alot of goodies for trucks, and you can call them for a free catalogue too. Hope this helps.
  • lovembadlovembad Member Posts: 8
    Thanks dtown4o..........I will try that site.
  • sidious6688sidious6688 Member Posts: 80
    To my knowledge to get heated seats you must buy a limited, get the leather package, and get heated seats. However, configuring the car on carsdirect, if I use a SE zip code like Miami 33133, you get a whole bunch more options for that region including cloth heated seats whether its the base, sport or limited model. What gives? I'm in New england. surely I need heated seats more than people in Miami? alternatively, anyone ever tried aftermarket heated seats?
  • maramsemaramse Member Posts: 2
    :sick: I saw your posts about a whining noise between 24 and 40 mph that goes away when you let off the accelerator. I have this exact problem with my 07 RAV4 and am planning to take it to the dealership. Do you have any more information on this problem that might help me along when I speak to my service manager?
  • maramsemaramse Member Posts: 2
    Took my 07 RAV4 in today---they heard the noise and said there definitely was "something" wrong after driving 2 others off the sales lot that didn't make the same noise. They are supposed to call their service advisors and get back to me.
  • majortom6xmajortom6x Member Posts: 2
    Try this with your 2007 Rav4. Driving at 40 mph or more keep both front windows completely rolled up and roll down a rear window about 6 to 10 inches. Warning, You should experience a thumping wind noise that will torture your hearing.
    If you have whinning kids riding in the back this will shut them up in a hurry!
    Let me know if you experience this same noise.
  • groupergrouper Member Posts: 13
    From Grouper concerning the whining noise between 25--40 mph--It's not tires ( goes away when foot is taken off accelerator ). It's not the fuel pump as the fuel pump resistor has been added to the pump----My dealer acknowledges the noise and has ordered an ECU(electronic control unit). I do not know how this may take care of the whine..Anyhow, it has been on order for 3 weeks--Anybody out their with any thoughts??? Much appreciated!!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    SOP....

Back in our days of driving Ford country squire station wagons, 68-75, we would lower the tailgate glass just ever so slightly to avoid being trapped inside a low frequency whistle.
    As reported previously, an ECU(electronic control unit) was ordered to attempt to cure the whining noise. The new unit made no difference. The vehicle is now in the shop for further diagnosis--dealer claims they can hear the whining but can't be sure whether it is coming from the transfer case or the transmission. Will keep all posted
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    Yes, the RX350 and the RAV4 (and the Camry V6, and the Avalon, and the upcoming Highlander, and the Lexus ES350) all use the exact same engine (Toyota's code is 2GR-FE). It's in the same family as the Tacoma/4Runner/FJ/Tundra 4.0 L V6, and the Lexus IS350 engine, though those have different designations.

The 3.3 L engine is different, but I'm reasonably sure that the same engine was used in all applications (except Hybrid, of course).
    Gulf States and Souteast Toyota dealers are like a whole separate dealer body. Try specing out a truck without having to include "factory" paint sealant, undercoating, 22 inch chrome wheels, and a whole bunch of other useless crap. I truly feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with Gulf States or Southeast distribution.
  • dtown40dtown40 Member Posts: 18
    Mine came from Gulf States and it didnt come with all that stuff.
    Maybe I shouldn't imply that all Tacomas sold in Texas have giant redneck wheels. Maybe it's just that the sensible people there buy the ones with factory wheels and no paint sealant first and all that's left sitting on the dealer lots are the ones with the "upgrades".
    Toyota gave permission for dealer to install a new transmission(2007 V6 Limited). Most of the whine has gone, but there is stll a residual that I believe is the result of Yokohama tires. I am researching tire replacement and it seems that this tire size==225/65 by 17 is very limited.
    The tire that receives high raves is the Goodyear Tripletred Fortera---anybody out ther with similar concerns??
    I've actually been looking at what my options are going to be when I replace the tires on our RAV4. You're right- the pickings for a 225/65R17 are pretty slim. I've had mixed luck with Goodyear in the past, so I tend to shy away from them.

If I stick with the stock size, my likely replacement will be a Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza or a Yokohama AVID H4S. Both are very highly rated by the Tire Rack's reviewers, but both also have some pretty vocal detractors.

I've also been looking at the Continental CrossContact LX in a 255/60R17. By the numbers this tire should be much larger than stock, but when you actually look at the specs on the Geolandar G91A, it runs big for its size anyway. When mounted on a 7" wide wheel, the Continental would be about 0.1" wider and 0.2" taller than stock.

The only real detriment to the Continental that I see is that it doesn't do so well in winter driving. Otherwise, it's rated higher than the Dueler Alenza in practically every category. Considering that I'm also looking at getting a winter tire, that's really not such an issue. I do have some questions regarding winter tires on the RAV4, and I posted a message on the RAV4 Winter Driving forum (Linked Here) looking for some answers, so if anybody has any, I'd appreciate your input.
  • dannyinkydannyinky Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the RAV4 Sport 4X4 because it was going to be perfect. I am a bit disappointed. First there is an annoying whine in the drive train. The whine is not real loud and the A/C on 3 or the radio makes it a lot less noticeable. Second, when cruising down the interstate at the base of a hill the rascal drops out of overdrive then shifts right back into overdrive and continues up the grade without downshifting again.
  • djc1959djc1959 Member Posts: 5
    I have a Rav4 Sport with fwd V6 It is very fast.You may be right in that 4wd may be quicker but I feel the added weight of a 4wd system may be the equalizer I have the Sport Rav4 with the tuned suspension and 18 inch wheels.I would opt for that The Sport comes in 4wd also
    The 2007 Rav 4 Has a timing Chain.on both the 4 or V6
    Bought My Rav at an Indianapolis toyota Dealer and they Said any single Option they can install and they can do heated seats they said they come in kits and Most dealers should be able to install them.Its possible your Dealer may not be certified by Toyota to do this.
  • nikeguynikeguy Member Posts: 2
    Two questions for the group: 1. Why doesn't the tonneau cover stretch to allow the hooks to attach to the back of the rear seats with having to tilt the seats back and 2. does anyone know how I can 'default' the air recycle button to be on 'fresh' when I start the engine instead of recycle? Thanks!
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Recycle Button--wwest has commented on this design peculiarity on other Toyota sites. There is a way your dealer can default the control to fresh air.
  • madison75madison75 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into getting a RAV4 for my wife, she will be starting a new job that will incorporate a lot of driving. I know Toyota is know for higher quality vehicles, but all brands have some sort of problems or design flaws.

What has been the problems/flaws that you have noticed on your 06/07 RAV4? How annoying is it deal with? Would you not buy the vehicle if you knew it prior? Any other info that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You mean it doesn't stay how it was set before turning the car off? That's just weird!
    It will always default to re-circulate if it not changed by the dealer to default to outside air. I agree it is a very strange way to design an HVAC system.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    On the RAV4 anyway, recirc should only come on by itself at startup when the interior set temp is below the actual outside temp (I assume to assist in cooling the cabin). Otherwise, it doesn't go into recirc mode on its own. In mine, when this happens, if I raise the interior temp setting up to what the indicated outside temp is, the recirc mode shuts off automatically. Lower the interior temp again and it comes back on.

I wouldn't mind if it did this only in Auto mode, but it does it even when Auto is off.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply be sure to check out the other topics in the Toyota RAV4 group.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nicknitenicknite Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 rav4 v6 sport 10000 miles. there is a loud sound which bother me too much when going about 30 to 40 mph and i believe that the noise come from the transmission. i drove back to dealership after making a appiontment for toyota technician take the driving test but the toyota said that there nothing they concern (about there warranty) after they test drive my car. they did not allow me be with them while they took the test drive. my advice: before you buy it, take a test drive, especially 30 to 40 mph. good luck.
    Yes, you are correct. I remember that in cooler/cold winter weather I had no trouble with the recirc. mode. It never came on. Only in warm/hot weather is it a problem. Toyota's idea of defaulting to recirc. to cool down the temp. faster goes against logic of opening all windows at a/c start up and blowing out the hot air for a few minutes. Why would you want to have recirculate on if the windows are open? I feel Toyota is wrong in their design.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Toyotas always strike me as odd compared to Hondas.
  • nikeguynikeguy Member Posts: 2
    I went to the dealer today and asked if the doors on my 2007 RAV4 could automatically lock when I put the car in drive. The tech said that this is something that I could program by reading something found in the manual (or I could pay $40 for them to do it). I don't think I'm that blind but I can't find it. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks.
  • kidsterkidster Member Posts: 1
    I have the same inquiry. I had a Camry years ago-same problem with the most uncomfortable seats. They are awful on a long drive. I love the Rav-4 but I am also concerned that Toyota has not corrected this problem. My Accord's leather seats are so-o nice. Wish I can put them in a Rav-4.
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    no it is not possible. Even fully loaded Toyota cars do not have this option now. My friend's v6 camry xle doesn't have it.
  • sanssans Member Posts: 5
    I've decided on the RAV4 and will probably purchase one later this month. I got a decent quote right around invoice on a Pacific Blue Limited V6 4WD w/ JBL, sunroof, tow package, etc. My husband is asking whether I would rather have a 2WD with leather, and I don't know. Our winter weather consists of a bit of unplowed snow on city streets.

Either way, I'm having second thoughts about the color. They didn't have any Pacific Blue on the lot, and the pictures I'm seeing on various sites range from a nice muted grey-blue to scary electric blue. That was the only color swatch we connected with, and if that doesn't turn out to be a great color, I'm wondering which color will show the fewest nicks and scratches? My car gets handled pretty roughly by parking attendants in the garage where I park every night, which hasn't been such a hot deal for my white Corolla. I learned pretty quickly that the primer underneath is usually black, and would love Flint Mica but wouldn't buy the Sport trim just for that color.
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    My 2007 Camry XLE V6 automatically locks the doors when shifted into gear. They set it at the dealer that way, so it may be possible for the RAV4 as well.
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    Hi!
    we just rented an 07 in this color and it was beautiful!! we all decided that if we do get a RAV (we are still debating between the RAV4 and the Honda CRV) that this is the color that we would get. It definitely isn't that electric blue...and its more blue then grey...very nice color.
    Good luck with your new car!! Enjoy!
    Some have reported a problem noise arounds 30-40 mph.
    My service dealer did a great job in finally diagnosing the problem---best service in the east by the first and oldest Toyota dealer in the US----Krause Toyota in Fogelsville, Pa--They repaced my transmission!!
  • dtowndtown Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2007 Rav 4 and am a huge fan of the car. I must admit that Toyota failed when it comes to painting these cars. I only have 5000 miles on mine, and I have three paint chips on the car so far. After reading other forums, I have read that this is a problem with the paint. So far, this is my only complaint with the car.
    Sans, you report paint chips(3 in all), but you do not relay how you got them---was it by an uncovered truck with flying debris or something else? I have one or two small ones on the front bumper, but I know how I got them--they were caused by trailing an uncovered truck spewing sandstone; otherwise, there are no other chips--the paint is amongst the best I have seen.
  • phivylixphivylix Member Posts: 3
    Hi, does anyone have the same concern with mine? I just recently bought a 2007 Base RAV4 4WD 4 Cyl, and after taking it home I notice that when I slightly release the brakes before acceleration theres a grinding sound/vibration either in the transmission or in the brakes! I had ask my dealer if this is ok and they told me its normal! Would love to hear from you guys, if you have the same concerns! Thanx
    From your description it sounds like normal brake slippage.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • phivylixphivylix Member Posts: 3
    Hi thanx for the reply, it bothers me lot because it occurs during first start of the vehicle when I am starting running and it will be gone after running awhile, is it normal also to have carbon dust in the wheel and its front wheels are hot after running. I am considering to bring it to my dealer to have a check. thanx
  • m65m65 Member Posts: 2
    In my RAV4 (base v6, 4wd) specifications it shows curb weight 3655 and gross vehicle weight rating 4720. The difference is 1065 lbs. I thought that this would be the max load. However, on the driver's door it says max load 825 lbs. Anyone knows where more than 200 lbs disappeared?
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    in 3rd row seating. you have a 5 passenger vehicle. 1065 is for 7 passenger rav4
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Why is this in the HONDA CR-V discussion?
    This is the Toyota RAV4 discussion and the message you replied to was from almost 11 months ago.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • m65m65 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, this can't be it. The 3 rows (7 passenger) has a higher gross weight of 5015. My car (2 rows, 5 passengers, base v6 4wd) is rated 4720, which should give a max load of 1065 lbs, and not 825 shown on the door.

5 adults of 180 lbs each with no luggage already weigh over 825lbs. So, it's either the luggage or the mother in law, not both. However if 1065 lbs is the right value, then it can be both. Maybe that's why they wrote 825 lbs on the door, to protect me from unnecessary stress.

Could it be because of the stock tires, which do not hold more that some number of lbs each? So if I want to use all 1065, I need to buy some higher rated tires than stock? Would that make make any sense?
  • sanssans Member Posts: 5
    Grouper--it wasn't me who reported the three paint chips, but I am afraid of the paint chipping with the garage situation. When they open the passenger door of the car to the right of my white Corolla, they frequently bang it against my car, chipping off the paint. So just the right side of my car has chips. Since the primer appears to be black, I might as well just get a black RAV4 to reduce the appearance of the chips.

I'm going to the dealership today to get the car! After doing a lot of research, I'm convinced that the deal I'm getting is decent. $200 under invoice...perhaps I could wait longer to get a better deal, but I want to get big pieces of furniture and go on road trips!
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Go to the Honda CR-V forum and you will see the Toyota RAV4 tittle. Why?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When I go to the CR-V board I see 86 discussions. One has RAV-4 in the title, which is understandable since that one is a comparison discussion (Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 or Subaru Forester?).

Maybe you can tell us the link where you are seeing this; I'm not finding it but there's more than one way to navigate the forum and you may be seeing something we're not.
This discussion has been closed.