Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 2007

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I have wondered this as well. It is there. Second from the top. It just says RAV 4
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Very curious - I'll play with the category selector and then let Tidester figure it out, since I'm not seeing it. :D
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    I just checked and it's not there anymore.
    So somebody fixed this, I was getting tired of seeing Toyota RAV4 discussions In the Honda CR-V category.
  • drivenmaddrivenmad Member Posts: 1
    I am by no means a mechanic, but my last car was a 4WD Mercedes. When I first got the car I noticed a grinding sound with braking and turning. Everyone told me it was normal for a 4WD (I never had one before). About eight months after I got it the transfer case went out. As soon as I took it to my mechanic he said "Oh, yeah, that grinding sound is a dead giveaway." On a Mercedes this was a $4K fix. I suggest you take it in and ask specifically about the grinding noise related to the transfer case.
  • fankofanko Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 RAV4 Sports Edition little over 2 weeks. I notice this "slip indicator" light come on/off while I’m pulling into a parking space (parallel parking) or a spot at a parking lot. There's time where I see the lights come on while I shift from Drive to Park when the car is fully stop. Once the light is ON, it locks the brake for few seconds with a beeping sound. According to the user manual, the slip indicator is on when the wheels sense that is slipping. It's my 3rd time bring back for services. According to the technician, there's no problem with the car. There is a problem (slip indicator) but Toyota can't find the problems. Does anyone have the same issue? Or know anything about this matter?

thanks
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Read the part of the owner's manual that talks about "Hill-Start Assist Control". You are stepping on the brake pedal hard enough to accidentally turn on this feature.
  • lovembadlovembad Member Posts: 8
    I have a Limited V6 2007 Rav4. Recently I've noticed that when I turned on the Radio it comes on with no digital recognition viewable as to what preset station I am listening to. The digit will eventually be viewable after about a few minutes of driving & turning the radio on and off. This happens in the CD mode also. If you have encountered this problem please let me know as I am taking my vehicle in to get this checked out and will inform you of the outcome. The more you know the better. :confuse: ">
  • keyser2keyser2 Member Posts: 25
    I purchased a base RAV4 2WD 4cyl on July 15. My second choice was a Santa Fe. I've owned three Hyundais and have always been happy with them, and haven't owned a Toyota since the 1970's. The thing that made me decide on the RAV4 over the Santa Fe was pure and simple: Gas Mileage.

Bottom-line price was only $1,500 more for the Rav4 with these comparable specs:

GLS vs. base
    Base engine (2.7 vs 2.4)
    Hyundai's standard 10 year 100,000 mile warranty vs. purchased 7 year 100,000 bumper-to-bumper from Toyota.

The Santa Fe had the nicer interior. Driving impressions were quite different. The Santa Fe felt much more massive and lethargic. The Rav4 is an absolute hoot to drive, agile with a tight turning radius. Interior room is as good in the Rav4, but I suspect the Santa Fe is 500 pounds lighter. Mileage at 2400 miles is a little over 26 mpg (mixed city, suburban and highway). The Hyundai salesman and the Edmunds forums say that the 2.7 liter Santa Fe will get realistic numbers between 17 and 21. No contest!

Quality of the Rav4 is primo. I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy the Toyota. I will probably buy another Hyundai in the future, but I have to say, Toyota is really competitive with the value factor, if one just looks into it. I think Hyundai has to be careful with their pricing. Case in point, the new Elantra. The price has increased quite a bit, which is hard to see because of the tricky packaging.

In three years or so, I'll be looking to replace my 2000 Taurus, and will look again at the small SUV segment (or possibly a crossover). I will look at the Asian brands again, and will look very closely again.
    Correction:

The Santa Fe is about 500 pounds heavier.
    If anyone is interested, I posted this same text over on the 2007 Santa Fe board, and got some interesting comments. They are like a cult over there.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We do have a comparison discussion that may be of interest:

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge
  • julika56julika56 Member Posts: 1
    I had been looking for a 2007 Rav4 limited, with V6, JBL, 3rd row seat, moonroof, tow prep, daytime running lights in everglade metallic and the dealer was unable to find one relatively close to them to trade. There was one in western PA and I'm about 50 miles north of Philly and the dealer didn't seem too hopeful about being able to get that one. I was given the 2007 invoice price for the car and options, and I should be able to get the 2008 invoice price for the Rav4 and options when they find what I want. Is invoice on the car and options good when you're paying for the destination charge, TDA, dealer holdback and wholesale financial reserve? Is there any point to negotiating on any of the other costs? I'm interested in hearing about anyone's experiences and advice you can offer.
  • roj1roj1 Member Posts: 16
    I live in a city with a fairly flat terrain, but I may be moving to Seattle in the future. I am interested in the 4 cylinder Rav4, but I am concerned about how it would handle the hills of Seattle. Does anyone have any experience with 4 cylinder Rav4s and hills? Do you think I would have problems in Seattle if I purchase the 4 cylinder Rav4? I would appreciate any feedback, especially since I can't test the RAV4 on hills where I am living right now. Thanks.
  • dtowndtown Member Posts: 20
    Im not sure that power from the 4 cylinder would be a problem, but I have read several reviews from owners that say the transmissions seem to search constantly for the right gear on hills. I got a 2007 V6 Rav, and it has never really had to search for the right gear when climbing hills. The fuel mileage is nearly the same as the 4 cylinder, but its upfront cost is about 2,000 more. I guess it just depends on what you want to spend. You might want to read the blogs in Rav4world.com/forums, and perhaps that could help you decide.
  • roj1roj1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Dtown. I'll check out the other forum.
  • bankonebankone Member Posts: 44
    Does anyone know if 2007 RAV 4 use timing chain or timing belt?
    I took my vehicle to the Dealer but they couldn't find a problem with the radio. As I was driving back from the dealer the same thing occured. I believe the problem is the radio is not securely connected to the dashboard because I just pushed it in and it worked fine. Toyota will have to fix this.
    Did anyone notice that RAV 4 starts very loud, comparing with Camry? Makes me feel this is not Toyota.
    Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this problem?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    By any chance, are your sunglasses the polarizing type? Try tilting your head left or right while wearing the sunglasses and see whether that makes any difference.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Hmmmm..

Looks as if there might be a market for "bi-focal" sunglasses, dark above, less dark below.
    I live in Canada. Can we still drive with the alloy wheels on in thw winter. Will they corrode with so much salt on the ground. I have a car bought in Louisian with alloy wheels. All wheels corroded in one winter. I am not sure whether this is a problem for cars made for the south.
    I also have the auto climate with dual control. So confusing. Haven't been able to figure out how to use it.
  • kst1kst1 Member Posts: 22
    I have a question about installing a rear facing infant seat (Graco sungride)in the center position in a 07 RAV. Currently I have the seat in the left side using the seat belts but would like to have the seat in the center postion. I know that LATCH is not an option for that but is it possible to do this using the seat belts? I worked with a certified technician and we tried doing it but it did not seem to be a tight fit. Has anyone installed the infant seat in the center position using seatbelts? If so, you mind sharing the details/pics? I would like to go back to the health dept and get this thing taken care of. Thanks!
    According to the manual, when you turn the key to "on" position, the TPMS light will come up and go away in a few seconds. I just notices that my TPMS light never come up. Is this normal? What could have gone wrong?
  • charliesodacharliesoda Member Posts: 3
    I have a RAV 4cyl as well and the engine does start loud. I also notice the car vibrates too much when idling at red lights. it is very disappointing, but im still hoping there is a solution for it. I traded my 4runner V6 for the RAV4.
    so, I dont really know what to tell you. i'll be back for service anytime soon, hopefully then Ill have something. :confuse:
  • charliesodacharliesoda Member Posts: 3
    I have a 07 Rav4 4 cyl and i have notice the same sound, however it only happens when the engine is not warmed up.
    The V6 engine has a timing chain. Im not sure about the 4 cylinder.
    I called my sales rep and she told me that RAV 4 is an SUV and it does starts loud. She also told me that it you listen to the engin starts for Toyota trucks, you will be surprise how loud it is.
    Does your RAV 4 equipped with TPMS? I read the manual, it says that the light should be on when you turn your key to "on" position and goes off in a few swconds. It does not show up in my instrument panel.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    The 2.4 4 cyl has timing chain.
  • manufan1manufan1 Member Posts: 26
    Drive this tiny cute toy? I would rather ride a bike, or just walk!
  • aollingaolling Member Posts: 9
    In our 2007 RAV4, at 45-65 mph, we hear a rattle sound around the right front side window/mirror area. I feel it is wind related because it disappears at slower speeds. 2 Toyota garages suggested the roof rack which it was not. Now the say its the plastic covering on the outside mirror. Anyone deal with this problem?
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    I would not believe that 17-21 on a 2.7 liter Santa FE salesman or not. I have been reading a lot about MPG from the Hyundai forum I have beeen finding the avg is around 24 for the 2.7 not bad. It's when you get to the bigger 6 cylinder 3.3 where you get those 17 numbers. If you get AWD it takes it down a mile or 2 as well. The salesmen love to push those bigger engines and do not know what they are talking about half the time. Since the size of the Santa Fe is larger, even larger then a pilot I would think the MPG would take a hit somewhat. I too am looking at both Rav4 4 cylinder vs Santa FE 6 cylinder.

It is harder then I would have thought. One thing I am going to do is do some extensive test driving of both, doing about 70 MPH. I have found that the 5 minutes you take to test drive is not enough. I hate having seats that are not plush enough, and front leg room that would be good for a midget. Toyota is known for both those problems. They make quality but they are awful with the interior. Fraid to say it but the so called american car companies have the interiors down pat. They are just plain comfortable. Wake up Toyota and work on those interiors.

I am also more interested in interior noise and comfort at this point in the game. I can get either a RAV4 base or Santa fe GLS for about the same exact price. I even think reguardless of 2007/2008. You just dont's save enough to go for the lower year in most cases.

As far as extended warrenties go. I would never have purchased a 7 year 100k for a Toyota it defeats the purpose of buying a Toyota. I looked into getting one from sams club for my Sienna orginally they wanted like 1600 but as the years went by they moved it up to 2000.00+ with I think 0 or 50 deductable I can't recall. But if I had done that I would have not really gained much. The dealer offer was even worse like 5 year/100k at that as all they offered. With the mileage I put on cars it would only be a 5 year for me. Toyotas can pull that off with their eyes closed so it was kinda useless to me.

Where as the Hyundai really needs to offer that deal because of its reputation.

I can see the quality still in the Toyota product beating the Hyundai. But they are starting to fight back. Also the Hyundai sales people are kinda pathetic. Which in a way is a good thing. They are much more willing to drop below invoice. You can go to a dealership and be the only person there. Now thats buying power.
    I have read that there is a plastic cover on the bottom of the right hand side rear mirror that has to be tightened. Some have used silicone, others have just used tape to cover the tiny whole that drains the housing. I have heard the wind noise sometimes in mine, but it doesnt bother me enough to fix it.
  • aollingaolling Member Posts: 9
    You were exactly correct. That's what it was. They said Toyota Corp. actually had a bulletin sent to Toyota service departments about it. Sad part is it took 3 trips to a service department before they figured it out!
  • fatdanfatdan Member Posts: 1
    Some other customer reviews complain the driver's seat is uncomfortable and especially bad if you suffer low back pain. How have other drivers found the front seat?
  • kurt451kurt451 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone figured out how they reprogram the automatic door open/lock to open all doors with one click instead of two?
    The inability to see the clock is a poor design function. The lighting should be orange or blue on a black background.
    Even though it mentions it in the manual, I missed it. My tire pressure light came on yet my tire pressure was fine. The spare tire has a sensor in it and causes the light to come on when its pressure is low.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I would be a tad more careful about making general statements regarding engine size vs FE at this point in time.

Many manufacturers are currently transitioning their V6 engines to DFI, Direct Fuel Injection. DFI allows compression ratios of ~12:1 and therefore significantly improved FE over previous V6 engines.

So, until this is done with I4 engines there might very well be a period of time wherein smallish V6 engines will yeild better FE numbers than the larger displacement I4 engines.

There is also the matter of CVT's and more gearbox ratios currently being used with V6 engine vs I4's that tilt the FE numbers toward V6's.

Seems desparate to me but it is true that the clear majority of the automotive buyers want, above all, hp/torque,HP/TORQUE.

V8, V6, I4, in that order, so the manufacturers, in order to keep their fleet average FE down, concentrate on the bigger engines, higher volume sales, first, insofar as improving FE is concerned.
  • curious07curious07 Member Posts: 1
    I, too, have been having the same problem since I purchased my 2007 RAV4 Limited. Please inform me of the outcome after you have it checked out. Thank you!!!
    Hi Curious 07, I haven't encountered this problem since my trip to the dealer. However, I feel the radio need to be properly secured because I know I may hit a pot hole or something and the radio will act up again. The next time this happen I will drive the vehicle directly to the dealer and have them see what I am talking about because they checked it the last time and couldn't find a problem with the radio. It could be from the heat (I'm in NY) and it was a scorcher on those days that it acted up. I'm not going back to the dealer until it acts up. Let me know of your progress with yours maybe your Service Technicians knows more than mines.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with owners and serious shoppers of the 2007 or 2008 Toyota RAV4 who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Does anyone know how to program the auto-off headlights feature so that only the DRL's come on in daylight but the headlights go on and off after dark, all automatically without touching the switch on the stalk? GM manuals explain this procedure for their cars, but Toyota refers the owner to the dealer. It can't be THAT hard. Thanks!
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    The headlights will not turn on automatically. They will only turn off automatically. The DRL's are the only ones that turn on automatically. The sensors on top of the dash are for that.

I thought the headlights turned on automatically, but after checking with the dealer, they don't. I do miss that feature as well.

Ronn
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Thanks, ronn. For the record, my '04 Buick has a simple, separate, "Automatic/Manual" switch that selects either full auto on/off for both DRL's and headlamps, or full manual control. The only drawback to that arrangement is that on rainy days, when state law requires headlamps with wipers, you still have to go manual. Still, I prefer it, too.

Next question - [4cyl] At cold startup, with its fast idle, putting the transmission in "D" results in a "pause-lurch" that can't be good for the drivetrain. Is this normal?
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Ronn is correct - the North American version of the RAV4 doesn't get the auto headlight feature (on some overseas models there's an additional "Auto" position on the headlight switch). If you have a Limited, one of the sensors on top of the dash is for the auto climate control; the other is a dummy, but that's where the light sensor would go IF we had the auto lights.
  • phivylixphivylix Member Posts: 3
    Hi, i have seen that we have the same concern about the grinding sound of our RAV, does it bother you anymore? After my dealer told me that it is just normal, I just ignore it (Im tired of returning to the dealer and have the same answer again, there reason was about that oxidation in the brakes)! Until now it bothers me, but it will be gone after awhile! But I notice that there is vibration in the floor now, I dont know if is it normal or just the road, but I am now worried because I can feel it is coming on the brakes or in the wheels! Im now very pssssst of by this, and want a very good answer by my dealer! Do you have the same problem? Thanx!
  • bytor42bytor42 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 RAV4 Sport with a 6 cd changer and radio. This summer I had problems with it when the weather was really hot. Several times, always on very hot days, the display went totally blank but it would still be playing (cd or radio....whatever I was listening to). A couple of other times it just went dead. Turning the car off and on would 'solve' the problem. Well, I took it in for an oil change in October and mentioned that to the service tech and she seemed to be familiar with the problem. They ended up swapping out the unit even though the radio at the time was working fine. :) While I would like to think they were just going the extra mile for me, it seems to me this is a known issue since that is a fairly expensive item, they could not reproduce the problem, and they gave me absolutely no hassle.
This discussion has been closed.