Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 2007

Comments

• jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Don't forget, the robots are built and programmed by humans!

The car is put together by robots. The parts are put together by people.

The new cars are much better but not perfect all the time.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Well said. The only thing I can add is that not every part of the car is assembled (put together) by robots. Sometimes it's the robot that brings the part to a person for assembly.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    All These Buttons Push My Buttons (Long-Term Road Tests)

• vivavegas99vivavegas99 Member Posts: 39
    I read the comments, it's pretty funny. I too at first was like "dang that's a lot of buttons" but once you get used to it, it's just as easy as any other control. I also like the buttons versus the knobs. I think they look classier, less bulky. I like my buttons! :)
  • sandiegochefsandiegochef Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone! Just picked up my '07 RAV yesterday and I'm happy to report that I ma not feeling any buyer's remorse today. I bought it through the Costco Auto Buyer program for $500 over dealer invoice.

Bought the Sport with JBL stereo, and the window sticker says "satellite ready", and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck installing satellite w/o using Wireless FM Modulation? I've had a Sirius subscription since their 1st generation receivers came out, and now I'm Siriusly Jonesing for my sat radio.

Do I need to buy a receiver and use the FM Modulation, or can I use a satellite reciever that sits under the seat?

Thnaks
  • rscotts54rscotts54 Member Posts: 47
    The "satellite ready" part means that you add the Toyota satellite kit and it all works as part of the radio system. You won't use a modulator, it will be integrated into the radio inputs.

Enjoy!
  • joeygejoeyge Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I'm considering a new RAV4 and have been checking out the sat radio also. I have a Sirius sportster that I take from my car to the house and connect via a dock and a direct line in. Don't FM modulate, the sound is horrible. That's why you have an input in the bottom of the center storage section, so you can plug in a cable between your radio and the line-out input on the back of your dock.

You won't be able to run the sat off your radio controls but you will get great sound until you buy the kit, if you do. Same thing with an iPod I imagine, plug it in direct and the sound quality is excellent. No re-tuning stations or static.

How much is the kit anyway?

Is there an iPod alternative other than what I just mentioned, one that will allow you to use the radio controls?

The new CRV has a $399 MusicLink system for iPod, the Honda dealer tells me the drivers are bad and he wouldn't sell it to me. At least the CRV inputs are out in the open, right under the radio, not hidden at the bottom of the center storage unit. Bad choice Toyota!
  • gmarshall56gmarshall56 Member Posts: 20
    Heres a heads up concerning the Sirius satellite radio:

I've got a RAV4 Sport due in later this week. I asked my dealer rep about the sat. radio option. Here is his email response (take note of the "complication"):

The JBL system is satellite ready and the cost is about $400 to install the antenna and receiver. I believe this may also come with a one year paid subscription. There is a complication. Toyota has released a technical service Bulletin or TSB indicating that there are problems with the Sirius radios. They have asked us not to install any more in the RAV4 or the Landcruiser until they rectify the situation. After delivery of your vehicle to you, we need to keep in close contact to make you aware of when this can be installed.

.... thought you might want to know this....
    g
  • cyahr01cyahr01 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 2007 Rav4 and one dealer said recently tha they had been told not to install XM Radio until at least December. They didn't specify what the problem is and I'm wondering if a solution is possible. I really want XM Radio in my new car so this is disappointing. Has anyone else heard about this issue ?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • sfmamasfmama Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,
    We now know that we definitely want a Rav4 but are trying to decide whether we need/want 4 or 6 cylinders. We are not especially car people, but I'm getting that my husband is tempted by the idea of the power of this car. I would love to hear from people who have the 4 cylinder Rav4. Does it give you enough power? How is it on hills? - we live in San Francisco, and we have a lot of big hills. We are not likely to ever use it for towing or for having a "full load". For those with 6 cylinders, other discussions have noted that it may be a little jerky when you push on the gas pedal, have you experienced this? What do you think?
    Thanks so much for your help.

Our last car was stolen and returned with some damage, so it is now time for a new one.
  • cyahr01cyahr01 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2007 Rav4 with V6 last week. It really scoots. I don't think it is jerky, but rather it doesn't take too much push on the gas pedal to move pretty quickly. I really like how it goes up hills so easily without any strain.
  • lgslgs Member Posts: 27
    I'm sure others' opinions may vary, but yes, the throttle tip-in on the V6 is difficult to modulate, particularly in tight spaces or parking lots. Along with the cheap looking interior, it was a factor that put me off the Rav completely.

If you're not especially "car people", and don't intend to tow a large trailer, you'd be much better off looking at the new CR-V, imo.
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    I now have my second 4-cylinder RAV4 and I notice even more power with the 2006 (2.4) vs. the 2002 (2.0). Never have felt power-deprived while negotiating the hills and small mountains of central western Pennsylvania.
  • sfmamasfmama Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your input. I never thought choosing a car would be so hard. No CR-V for us because we want the option of the 3rd row seat (Mazda5 or Hyundai Santa Fe are other options). We will probably only use it 3x a year, but we like to have the option.

Glad to know the 4-cylinder seems to work well on hills. The information is definitely helpful.
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    Does anyone know if the Rav4's engines (4-cylinder and 6-cylinder) have timing chains or timing belt? This is a big issue for me. I feel that having a timing chain is worth a lot when buying the car. The comfort of not worrying about whether the belt will break as you approach the replacement mileage is a big relief. Of course, timing chains can break as well, but much less likely. And, if they do when the car is still under warranty they are covered - no manufacturer covers the timing belt that I am aware of.
  • ccmbduong1ccmbduong1 Member Posts: 49
    I am also interested in a 2007 RAV4 , narrow down to either "Sport" or "Limited". A V-6 would be a "want", not sure if it's a "need" since 2.4L already has 160 HP , which I think is more than adequate for that car's size. Can you ALL share with us how much you pay for your car? and is it possible to get a below invoice deal? My friend just bought a Siena Toyota van for $500 below invoice, so I think it's possible , but not sure with a 2007 RAV4. Your info is greatly appreciated.
    I have access to a closed 10,000 foot runway that is in pretty good condition so I made one run with my 2007 RAV4 Sport V6 to see what performance times would be. I used a Passport GTimer to record the data. I have no idea if this thing is accurate or not. The truck only has 1300 miles on it so I did not want to beat it doing this 10 times!

The times and 1/4 mile speed seemed to be similar to the C/D results which I have included here. My data is the left column and the C/D data is to the right of that. For example I got 0-60 in 6.0 sec and C/D data was 0-60 in 6.3 sec.

For reference my 2003 Audi A6 2.7T (250 HP claimed)with almost 40K miles measured 0-60 in the 6.4 to 6.6 sec. range over a few runs. It has full time Quattro and is a little heavier than the RAV4. The Audi has Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S tires and the RAV4 has the Yokohama G91s.

The RAV4 accells like the Audi but does not decell like the Audi which has much more powerful dual caliper brakes. It also has "dual caliper price" compared to the RAV4 so no complaints.

I also tried some cornering runs to get lateral acceleration data. This was kind of a bust as the best I could get was about .68 Gs. The problem is that the RAV4 seats provide no lateral support so it is hard to stay in postion and steer smoothly. I would need lots of practice and I do not want to wreck the truck trying.

All part of Sunday fun with the RAV4 in NY on nice cool day!

If anyone else has taken any data I would like to see if you got similar results.

RUN TIME MPH C/D TEST MPH C/D COPY
    1/4-MILE 14.6 93.4 14.9 94 Zero to 30 mph: 2.3
    0-110 NA 21.4 40 mph: 3.2
    0-100 NA 17.3 50 mph: 4.7
    0-90 13.28 13.5 60 mph: 6.3
    0-80 10.5 10.6 70 mph: 7.9
    0-70 7.9 7.9 80 mph: 10.6
    0-60 6 6.3 90 mph: 13.5
    0-50 4.33 4.7 100 mph: 17.0
    0-40 3.08 3.2 110 mph: 21.4
    0-30 2.03 2.3
    Standing 1/4-mile: 14.9 sec @ 94 mph
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    You bought a RAV4 for acceleration?
    I bought the RAV4 because it is a bargin combination of useful space and features, good MPG, decent handling and very good performance with AWD. At $25500 or so for a loaded Sport V6 you have to love it.
  • mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    Yes.
  • tigerman29tigerman29 Member Posts: 1
    I know the 2.4L inline 4 has a timing chain. My daughters 2004 RAV4 with the same engine has it. I am interested in buying a V6 and hope that it too has a timing chain. Might be a deal breaker for me. Does anyone know the answer to this question?
    I tested a RAV4 2.4L base model today and the Toyota dealer told me that ALL 2007 RAV4 cars have timing chain, in fact 2006 RAV4 cars also have timing chain. I think this should not be a deal breaker, most timing belts need replacement after 90K miles,its replacement cost is $300, so no big deal even if you have to replace it twice for a life of this car.

2.4L I4 has enough power for normal use, I want to test a V-6 to see if it's quieter... The dealer wants $300 above invoice cost, is it a good deal?

Thanks
    The dealer wants $300 above invoice cost, is it a good deal?

Seems pretty good to me, but you'll probably get a better answer here:
    jimbobear, "Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #1081, 13 Nov 2006 6:10 pm
  • kittybarbkittybarb Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me what I need to buy to connect and use my ipod on my new 2007 RAV4. I went into Radio Shack and they sold me a connector that goes from the auxillary input on the car to the earphone input on the ipod. It plays the music OK but it doesn't charge the ipod and no information displays on the radio screen.
  • ihammerihammer Member Posts: 75
    Check out the cars.com site. There are 49 2006 RAV4s for sale within a 75 mile radius of the north bay area,only 11 2005 RAV4s and a mere 10 2004 RAV4s for sale. I wonder why those 2006 RAV4 owners are dumping them so soon?
  • viamedeviamede Member Posts: 26
    They are probably 4 cyl former rentals. I doubt many car rental company's ever bought any Rav4's before 2006.
  • randomdriverrandomdriver Member Posts: 4
    My hubby & I just bought him a Pacific Blue EX 07 CRV and I ordered the Tea Green CRV EX 07 for myself. I had a 98 RAV for 8 years and loved it. I also have a 12 year old Camry. The only reason we bought new cars is b/c all the new safety feature- Electronic stability control, curtain & side airbags etc. We did a lot of research on Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Motor Week etc. They are both similar SUVs when it comes to Safety- my top priority.

Things I liked about the RAV that I didn't about the CRV: more aesthetic door handles, brighter brake lights, possible third row seat if we wanted, can flip seats down from the back instead of crawling in back seat to flip before loading, floor base under the flipped seats is level- unlike the CRV which has two level floor once the seats are flipped. This is minor, but makes a difference when one is in a sleeping bag in the back! Even though you can get a third row, it seemed to subtract legroom for the second row whether or not the third row was activated. This was not scientific, just an impression.

Things I liked about the CRV that I didn't about the RAV: interior spare tire, more ergonomic console set-up, the mirror positioners are in a safer spot to prevent them accidentally being reset, top rising door back door (keeps rain out of the collar when loading the car, easier to do when parallel parked) smoother and faster acceleration, better console lighting and information on digital screen. I had better rear visibility without the tire mounted on the back, which is not available on the RAV.

The CRV available with NAV, but the dealer said they won't be out until January 07. We have a Garmin Nuvi 350 ($488 at Wal-Mart) and that is more portable and a lot cheaper than a $2K Nav system in the CRV. Also, the CRV requires buying new disks for $185 when the maps are updated. The Garmin offers updated to download on its website.

We tested both 06 & 07 Ravs & CRV. I am rather short (5ft 3in) and I had better visibility with the CRV, but they both have height adjustable drivers' seats. The main thing that cinched it for us was the smoother acceleration. The RAV had a noticeable hesitancy when accelerating abruptly. It could cost seconds trying to merge into traffic or dart across an intersection. We test drove several different RAVs to see if they all did this, and all the 07s did, though to varying degrees. Also, we did not like the irritating orange glow of the instrument panel on the highest option RAV, nor the busy center console on the floor. The CRV has a tray that can fold down, the RAV has the storage compartments, shifter, and mirror adjusters in the middle. The CRV has a soothing blue instrument panel, with white digital layout for gas, mileage, temperature etc. The shifter is below the air conditioning controls, and out of the way of knees etc.

They weren't cheap! According to CR we should have been able to purchase them for 4-8% above $21,060 (using the CR base price). However, we spent hours on the phone and went to multiple dealerships. We had guys from 4 different Honda dealers whittling each other down, and we stayed on the phone until other dealerships dropped out. We bought two cars and paid cash, and the best deal we could get was $24,800 out the door (all tax, tags, fees etc). No dealership had more than one or two on the lot of the 07 CRVs. We took the blue one today, and the Green Tea should be in by next week. No one in Tampa had the Green Tea or Glacier Blue on the lot. This is in Tampa FL. Tampa Hondaland gave us the best deal. The EX-L should be about $4k more according to CR.

The one thing I can't stand about the CRV is the ugly door handle. The sales staff said the 07 CRV had been redesigned to look more 'manly' and to appeal to the young male market. I guess this was accomplished by the futuristic side windows and the hideous door handle, which is cheap silvery plastic and clashes with the ivory or gray interior. It looks like the car is attempting to be a transformer; the handle resembles an old boombox handle. Other than that, we love our new CRVs.
    The sales staff said the 07 CRV (sic) had been redesigned to look more 'manly' and to appeal to the young male market.

Not surprisingly the sales staff has it wrong. The redesign is meant to appeal more to females than the previous models. Read about it on Edmunds.

Sorry you don't like the door handles. But hopefully you like the peppy engine, the many standard features (including the safety related ones you mention), the abundant storage, the excellent gas mileage, the value, etc.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Hi,
    the poster mentioned "Also, we did not like the irritating orange glow of the instrument panel on the highest option RAV".
    Is the radio a different color on the base model than the highest option Rav4?
    I'm not a big fan either of the orange/amber glow.
  • atsuyukiatsuyuki Member Posts: 1
    Try clicking on the link below. This product claims to work the iPod through the buttons on the steering wheel and to display music information on the radio screen.

http://www.icarkits.com/product_info.php?products_id=66

Enter RAV4 2007 and eventually you will find the product.
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for your rationale for picking one over the other. Several of your comments I agree with. However, is it really fair to compare the CRV 4 cyl with the RAV 4 cyl when the RAV 4 V6 achieves the same fuel economy (21/28) as the CRV 4 Cyl (22/28)? Why would I want a 4 cyl when I can get the same economy from a much more powerful 6 cyl at about the same cost? This is but one point in what is a personal purchase decision but I think it is worth mentioning.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    The CR-V gets 23 city and 30 highway unless you are talking awd.
    Is it possible to buy '07 RAV4 at invoice? Anybody has any luck, even below invoice? Thanks. I am negotiating w/ different Toyota dealers for a '07 RAV4 V6 2WD limited. Any advice is greatly appreciated
  • chief71chief71 Member Posts: 12
    Adams Toyota in Kansas City gave me a quote on any RAV4 at $299 above invoice
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you looked at Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience?

tidester, host
    Thanks for info. The Toyota dealer in Newark, DE wants $500 above invoice (which I believe what you'd get if you are a Costco member)... I walked away from it. I may accept $200 above invoice , better yet at invoice. I will let you guys know how much I would pay for a 2007 RAV4, V6, 2WD Limited
  • kitlandkitland Member Posts: 4
    I guess my wife and I are not good bargainers. Or is it really so hard to get good deals in NY. :cry:

We went to about 4-5 dealers (even in NJ) for the 2007 4x4 V6 RAV4 with 3rd row. The best we could get was $600 over invoice price ($25,447). I need to order it as we want the factory installed remote start which comes handy as I needed to warm up the car before showelling the snow and putting the baby in the vehicle in the snowy winter.

What we order include
    -2007 V6 4x4 base model
    -roof rack
    -factory installed remote start
    -factory installed security system
    -wheel locks
    -17' 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheel
    -Tow Prep
    -3rd row seat
    -DRL

The dealer in NJ told us they can do 1% over invoice and made us drive all the way there. Then they told me the sales who called me was gone and another sales said no way for 1% over invoice for a V6. He gave me $25799, I asked if he could go any lower and he said no. We walked away immediately and back to the first dealer who offer $25449.

The new SUV will be here in 4-6 weeks and I hope the snow comes late this year.
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    My wife and I just got a 07 RAV4 V6 Ltd 4x4 with JBL, moonroof, daytime lights, floor mats and a thrown in chrome tail pipe MSRP 29073 for $26,998 plus tax out of New Holland toyota. Price was quoted via email. No hassles. Very professional. Worked on the trade in. I went to New Holland on a co-workers recommendation, and very glad I did. We went to two closer dealerships, and could not stand the hassle. Note to other sales managers:, the fact you smell like an ash tray, does not help your smooth (grease ball) talk. New Holland quoted the price w/o having it on the lot, but was able to get the vehicle in 3 days. I cannot emphasize the "no hassle" sale enough. Salesman even programmed our phones to work with the Blue tooth when we picked it up.

The Rav4 V6 power is addictive with good mileage 24+. Very good handling. I wish this wasn't my wife's car.
    My wife and I just got a 07 RAV4 V6 Ltd 4x4 with JBL, moonroof, daytime lights, floor mats and a thrown in chrome tail pipe MSRP 29073 for $26,998 plus tax out of New Holland toyota.

Yikes. One or two more options and that small SUV would have a sticker of $30K :surprise: .
    (My wife and I just got a 07 RAV4 V6 Ltd 4x4 with JBL, moonroof, daytime lights, floor mats and a thrown in chrome tail pipe MSRP 29073 for $26,998 plus tax out of New Holland toyota)...... I assume you mean New Holland,PA Toyota. I can't seem to get a price quote via internet. Who did you talk to at that dealer? Newark DE Toyota offers me $300 over invoice

(Yikes. One or two more options and that small SUV would have a sticker of $30K)... To some extends, it seems to be expensive, you could buy a beautiful, used 3-yr old Mercedes E320 for same amount of money. 7 yrs ago, I bought a 3-yr old MB E320 for $28,000, this beautiful car had only 38K miles then, it's still a beautiful car to drive... But, I guess different strokes for different folks

We have '87 Camry (still running well after 20 yrs and 190K miles), 97' Maxima, '94 Mercury Villager van... So it's time to try a decent size RAV4 just in case that '87 Camry dies.. I am sure my 320 MB will go pass 250K miles without any problems
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    I just test drive both Santa Fe 2007 & RAV4 2007 V6. I like RAV4 much better than Santa Fe because of RAV4 superior handling, driver seat view, optitron gauges, better suspension, higher torgue. Both SUV have same amount of interior noise level although I didn't have a noise meter to measure it. My hearing is sensitive enough to detect difference in noise level in both vehicles.

The critical part was the gauges and handling. Santa Fe gauges isn't as bright as the RAV4. It lacks details compare to optitron gauges. I won't be testing CRV 2007 because it doesn't have enough horse power for passing on Hwy. The CRV isn't a light weight SUV at all. It weights as much as RAV4 and cost as RAV4 V6 engine. Honda is actually more expensive due to brand name.
  • smudge49smudge49 Member Posts: 1
    Why do the [non-permissible content removed] insist on hingeing the rear door bass- ackwards?
    I've had two RAVs and the rear door was the most annoying and dangerous feature...walking into traffic to load the rear from the sidewalk. With the spare on the door, it's also very heavy for a woman to manage.
    I'm going for a hatchback.
  • vivavegas99vivavegas99 Member Posts: 39
    Um...I am a woman and have no problem opening the "heavy" rear door on my 2006 RAV. I agree with the hinge being on the wrong side, but it being too heavy for a woman to open? Give us a little credit!
  • sceglascegla Member Posts: 20
    I've always attributed the opening to correspond with the drainage slant of the typical American road. Gravity will help the door to stay opened whereas opening the other direction would force the manufacturer to put in a heavier piston which would in turn require more force to open and close. Just my two cents.
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    To get a price from New Holland, I just went ahead and emailed them in the evening and had the price in the morning. I stated what I wanted with what options and they sent it back minus the 2k off MSRP, plus tax only, no other fees.

I got a thousand more out of them for the trade, which was going from 3 to 4K, plus at the end we threw the $400 college rebate offer and got that. Sometimes dealers will quote all available rebates in the price, but then tell you don't qualify for them. So if you include the rebate in the neg price the price was 26,598 minus trade from an MSRP of 29,100. As well as they throw in the first couple of oil changes and services. I don't think that is so shabby for a vehicle in such high demand.
    Thanks Phillyfrontier. I emailed New Holland Toyota and they offer me a 6-cylinder limited '07 RAV4 , 4x4 at invoice of $25400. At this time of the year, several Toyota dealers start to offer at invoice. I am not in a hurry so I would wait until next June-August '07 and get the leftover '07 RAV4, by then it should be $700-1500 below invoice.

I am looking for a 2x4 V-6 limited RAV4, but based on my search, it's not an easy find in the northeast, most V-6 limited come with a 4WD which I don't think I would need. Any thought on this? Thanks
  • suvpassionsuvpassion Member Posts: 10
    Hi All,

I am buying my first car, and I need some help.

1) I got a quote of 23,650$ OTD for CRV-EX (non-leather) including Taxes (Virginia has only--3%tax)

How much can I bring the dealer down?

2) I am looking to install GPS on the new car (EX-L model goes upto 27k).

I guess this is an open ended question but I am thinking where would be the best place to get the GPS, and installed in the new car? I can spend upto $1000 for GPS.
This discussion has been closed.