Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS V-Series

2»

Comments

• sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    GM and Ford have a joint FWD six speed automatic. The Saturn Aura with the 3.6 liter V6 will have the six speed in 2007. The Pontiac G6 will also offer the same 3.6 with the six speed on one trim. The V8 STS and SRX will get the six speed in both RWD and AWD versions, but the V6's will keep the five speed.

The DTS was a complete restyle/redesign for 2006, so any changes will be minimal till the end of production I think. The six speed automatic is possible for 2008, but if they plan on replacing the platform in 2009 or 2010, the expense of upgrading the transmission for one or two years seems silly. Now, if production were to continue through the 2010 model year, then it might make sense, as that would be three years of production. A new RWD platform deVille could see production in 2009, as an early 2010 model, and production of the DTS could end after the 2008 model year.
  • supercoolsupercool Member Posts: 31
    Quote: "GM and Ford have a joint FWD six speed automatic." Are you saying GM & Ford have collaborated on a 6 speed transmission?

I thought I was correct on the 6 speed STS. Car & Driver stated that it was only 5, unless I misread. SRX is simply a Corvette under Art & Science clothing. The Vette 6 speed been out now for 2 two years now. This leaves the bulk of the cars with 4 speed trannies, which get the job done, but leaves out driveability.

I wasn't aware the G6 has a 6 speed, I somewhat wrote off that ride due to less than exciting style lines. With a 6 speed tranny it should be a good with good/fun driveability.

The DTS restyle/redesign primarily is to keep the production run going and keep the market segment happy. Looks nice but nothing that will turn heads.
    Yes, GM and Ford collaborated on a FWD 6 speed automatic. The RWD 6 speed is a different transmission, although one assumes that some overlap is possible, but the gearing is different. The FWD 6 speed is just going into production.

The Corvette's 6 speed automatic is the 6 speed that the V-series XLR (not SRX) and STS had. I expect that the all new 2008 CTS will get a 6 speed automatic too. The basic advantage of GM's 6 speed transmissions is the overall 6:1 ratio (low gear ratio divided by the high gear ratio). The 4 speeds have an overall ratio of about 4.25:1. This means that a lower low gear is possible with the highest overdrive ratio still providing good highway fuel economy.

The 2007 G6 GTP sedan and coupe will offer the 3.6 with 6 speed automatic. This is the same powertrain as the Saturn Aura will have. The G6 and Aura are both built on the same platform - Epsilon.

The DTS is more than just a restyle because the wheelbase is somewhat longer. So there have been changes to the basic body structure too. But the DTS is still the big FWD sedan that it has been, although with some minor refinements.
    What are the contemplated models for the GM-Ford tranny?

I'm not familiar with the Aura.

Are you sure about the 6 speed tranny being in the Vette and STS?

I agree with you the DTS will continue to be land cruiser that it has always been. Nice ride overall, but has its limits once you need to run fast and nimble.
    GM plans to use the FWD six speed on nearly everything I think, but will phase them in over the next few years.

The Saturn Aura is an all new car for 2007.

The only difference in the XLR/Covette six speed automatic is that is is mounted in front of the rear axle rather than behind the engine.

While Cadillac may keep the DTS's interstate cruiser qualities, the newer DTS/deVille's are much better handling cars than they were in the more distant past. The real question here is what platform they will use. The platform will determine the price range. The price range will determine sales.....
    Knowning Cadillac they'll keep the price moderate, so that their bread and butter base will be content, thus keeping sales in healthy place.

I'm in the Denver metro area and it seems like Lincoln has beat Cadillac as the premier fleet vehicle. Its to the point that the lincolns are being used as taxi cab now.
    There is a website GM Inside News, which is not a good predictor of GM's future products, but claims to have some information from time to time. They are not making any prediction on the DTS's future at this time. However, they do say that Cadillac is planning an ultra luxury sedan, probably to be built on the sigma platform at some point. This would be an expensive model, not a DTS replacement. They also think that there may be a small SUV, like the Equinox. Other sources have talked about an ultra luxury sedan too, so I think Cadillac is thinking about an upscale luxury sedan. What is not clear is whether this would be comparable to the S-class Mercedes, or if it would be more like the Rolls Royce class of sedans.

Ford is now planning to drop the Lincoln RWD models and replacing them with FWD Ford 500 platform models. I would expect them to drop the other RWD sedans too.
    I've heard rumors about a V-12 and V-16 for that particular
    category.

I'm not particulary concerned about such models. It would probably go the way of the Allante.

The 500 Platform has AWD capability. Interesting to see if it actually goes that way.
    Ford has reversed their decision regarding the Town Car and will move the tooling to a different factory and keep it for a while longer. However, there are some FWD Lincolns planned.

The Ultra Cadillac sedan would probably be something like the Cadillac Sixteen concept car, but probably without the V16 engine. The Allante was a production showcar for Cadillac, and was more successful than the Eldorado Brougham sedan of the late 50's. Cadillac can't displace Rolls Royce in the super luxury class, but they could compete with Maybach.
    I agree on the Rolls Royce.
    They've got a lot on the branding for "Luxury."

I got a look at Car and Driver's latest edition (I think it was October").

It stating that the DTS, CTS and are unchanged for the 2007 model year.

I suppose I shouldn't await around for a DTS-V and get use to the fit of an STS-V.
    As I have said before, the current FWD DTS was new in 2006, so it will probably remain in production for a few more years - I would guess through 2009. A FWD DTS_V is not planned as far as I know. I can't see much point in putting a Corvette engine in the FWD DTS.

GM needs to put some serious money into new products for both Buick and Pontiac in the next couple of years if they want to keep them from going out of business like Oldsmobile.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    I agree with your analysis on the night vision as I have it in my 03 DTS. It works well in rural un-illuminated areas.

I also concur that Cadillac needs to stay in the race to compete and a technologically advanced RWD DTS-V would be a competitor. I prefer the spaciousness of the Deville/DTS platform although I don't like FWD. Unlike the more compact STS platform, I like the ability to throw 4 golf bags in the trunk and haul 4 full sized passengers comfortably (as in the commercial).

Most of the new sedans such as the Lexus LS460 have reduced their trunk room.
    Interesting to hear a response from the owner of a DTS.
    From my discussion with "sls002" and further reseach on the V-series, I'm somewhat resigned to the fit of an STS. I haven't heard any rumors of ramping it up for the DTS.

However I saw a blurb recently where the "16 concept car" was going to be contemplated in a scaled down version to compete at the Rolls Royce and Maybauch level.

Even if I had the money, I wouldn't really get the car, because at that level the cars are really chauffeur vehicles and not for folks that truly like to drive and get the car onto the road for hard drives.

A DTS-V would be delightful, but the brass at Cadillac appear to sticking with the STS as the top dog.

SuperCool
This discussion has been closed.