Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Scion xB Owners - Give Us Your Report

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited April 2014 in Scion
Congratulations on yournew vehicle! This is the place to post your first impressions.

Comments

• lazlo3lazlo3 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a silver xB, loaded with almost everything including the alloy wheels from the xa and leather seats. The dealership had these installed for me by some aftermarket shop. The bill came to 19,000.
    It is a great car, I am very happy with it. This car will definitely be a sleeper hit like the matrix.
    Everyone turns and stares!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Loaded, for 19k? That sounds pretty good!

I haven't seen one around here yet. Please keep us posted as you get it broken in.

Any other new owners lurking out there?

Steve, Host
  • delivereguydelivereguy Member Posts: 7
    $19,000!?!?!?!! $5000 worth of options? That sounds like it really is LOADED!!! What happen to the $14,000 base price??? I thought these cars were supposed to come fairly well equiped to begin with. Leather, alloy wheels, well that explains some of the option $$$$. But 19K for a Scion?? That seems a little steep and possibly defeats the entry level youth market strategy. You could get a Matrix for that kind of money, a Protege5 with its expensive Dunlop tires, maybe even a Honda element for that matter..... I priced an XB on the Scion web site for about 15K, which seems a little more reasonable. But 19K for a Scion??

Anybody else bought one yet. Please post your opinions for us non-California people......ie, what's it like!
  • lazlo3lazlo3 Member Posts: 6
    I have had mine for a few weeks now, and so far I am delighted with the car. It is everything I needed, inexpensive, and practical, yet with an incredible fun factor. I turn more heads than a $100,000 Porsche or a Hummer. There are crowds of people surrounding it when I park to buy groceries! I usually wait at a distance until everyone goes away before I approach it.
    I have several hundred miles on it, and it has performed flawlessly.
    My wife loves it too, we have a 6 month old baby in a rear-facing carrier in the middle of the back seat. THis works well.
    There is more room in it than in my 99 4 dr. accord!
    I am getting over 30 miles per gallon.
    It is very quiet inside, and the visibility is excellent.
    The power is decent enough for in town driving. I can tell the engine is working when I hit the freeway at 80.
    The footprint of is small. I have a cramped garage with an entry from a narrow alley. My accord takes about 4 swings to cram in. The xb takes 2 to get in, 1 to leave.
    I have a few minor ergonomic issues with it. I am 6'3" and have to make a goofy twist in my left leg to wedge it past the dead pedal while I drive. I have gotten used to this gimpy posture and now it doesn't bother me.
    ALso I am too tall to stand easily behind the car with the tailgate up. I have to bend over like a neanderthal as I load cargo in the back. The gate doesn't flip to vertical like some hatchbacks.
    Other than this, the car is ideal for tall people.
    I would highly recommend the car. Even apart from the novelty factor, it is an excellent vehicle.
  • texasxbtexasxb Member Posts: 5
    just bought an xB from simi valley toyota. the salesman (Leon) was horrible, didn't know anything about the vehicle and told me no 3 free oil changes eventhough the freakin warranty book from scion clearly states it as a complimentary service. but i got the lowdown from kearny mesa toyota; they're informed and got me on the right track. unfortunately, simi valley was THE ONLY dealer with thundercloud/automatic/xB on the lot so I put up with Leon's tired eyes and poor interest in selling the car. BUT I LOVE IT! Flew out to California just to pick one up and drove it back to texas. have been stopped in parking lots 5 times in three days by people wanting to know all about it. it was a smooth ride, hauled all my stuff, cd/radio was perfect, and got 750 miles on 30 bucks of supreme. it's a keeper. uh, yes, anybody know how the 50 state emissions works?????
  • benevolence6gcbenevolence6gc Member Posts: 19
    Just this last Sunday we (me and my mom) went out to the toyota dealership to check out the scions (mainly xb she thinks the xa is too small).
    I believe we test drove 3 different variations of xb's, the first one was an automatic since we couldnt find a 5 speed which she wanted, so she test drove that, it wasnt too bad power wise with ac blasting fully she said.
    After returning she was considering the auto but then noticed another xb that was a 5 speed with chrome rims (she didnt like the rims much but hey she is in her 50's), anyways we test drove that, the wheels made it really bumpy and there was a rattle from the back i believe from the wheels but the 5 speed she said made much more of the tiny echo engine. She wanted me to test drive it real quick just to for the hell of it I guess, well it had a good amount of power I guess, not like I was out to race anyone. It was compareable to my brothers 2000 manual DX civic, with the wheels though handling wasn't too shabby for being a box.
    She really liked the 5 speed a lot more so we opted for that one, sales lady said she could take the wheels off and put the standard ones back on (which proved to be a hastle later on), after waiting a little we began to look through their new inventory and what luck we found the exact same car she test drove except it had the standard wheels and 30 less miles on it.
    The buying experience was relatively pain free, the only option my mom got was the keyless entry/alarm which made the price about 14,800 and after taxes and all the fee's about 16,100 which isn't too bad. The saleslady was really low key, didnt pressure my mom into buying anything she didnt want just pointed out what scion offers and thats it. Everything is no haggle so thats nice, especially when you see people right next to you argueing about the price on their camry's and Landcruisers.
    Took us about 3 hour from start to finish and she left happy, you wouldnt believe how many people stare at this car! some in delight others in disgust and some in just plain awe. Anyways when we got to her house her neighbor was really interested in it (hes in his 40's) and he loved it!, in fact he just bought one yesterday so now theres two scion xb's right next to eachother, really a funny sight.
    All in all I think this is a great car... with its easy buying experience, tons of room (so much room in the back seat its ridiculous!), decent engine power (I would opt for the Cold air intake but shes content) and pretty good fuel economy, also the more you look at this box the better it starts to look.
  • zen2003zen2003 Member Posts: 10
    We just bought our scion one week ago and we'd like to share our experience...my wife and I are fond of small cars...our other car is a miata...we are not SUV fans..so we were unsure if the xb was for us...also we own an echo and are familiar with the engine (that is also why we were not looking at an xa--too similar to the echo). When you first see the xb...it immediately surprises you by how low it is to the ground...it is not SUV-like...when you climb inside the impression is that this is a much more expensive vehicle...
    I was first going to buy an element and I was convinced 100% that this was our vehicle...both of us were...then we drove it...something happened and I did not feel that the element was a quality piece..the test drive made me feel that we could not be satisfied with the vehicle...
    I convinced my wife to go look at the scion before committing...and we both were blown away..by the Quality of the xb...we drove home in a Camouflage after considering the Black Cherry,Blue,and Black...
    we picked the Automatic and our vehicle included the 6-disc (10 color) CD ,floor/cargo mats,cargo net,silver pedals,grey leather wrapped steering wheel and our total price was $15,887--plus TTL...no haggling and were treated very nicely..we originally considered the manual but we already have one ---so I could not talk the wife into it...:)...but the Automatic is very peppy,,as is..we are returning in a couple of weeks to add the front tower brace and the cold air induction...just for fun---because---believe it or not--it does not need it --this little box can scoot...unless you have been driving v-8's and absolutely want a fast car..
    Apologies for the long post...but I hope this answers some questions...last but not least...we parked the xb next to the miata and the miata is 1 or 2 inches longer!!!!...the driving is sporty---firm but comfortable...the visibility is fantastic all around---no blind spots and since the windows are cut low ...the view is almost 360 degrees...but--the seats are elevated so you have the commanding view...very impressive...the interior is the best part...it almost feels as special as my last car ...an Audi TT---believe it or not!!!. .. we are going on vacation to Texas in September and can hardly wait...we want to cruise today...but...work...work...
    we heartily recommend this vehicle to all you folks in other parts of the U.S. ...you will feel like we do...like we got over...on Toyota...I hope they don't raise the prices...I know people are interested in the ``Age'' thing...we are a ``young'' 38 and 43 years...sorry kids...if you don't want these types of cars...us older kids will snap them up..
  • andergtrandergtr Member Posts: 101
    i still love it! as far as the other topics that have come up in that time...

1. yes, you get used to getting looked at. you strike up conversations with strangers who are interested in the car.

2. the price i paid is the MSRP. i paid exactly the sticker price, which was the same as MSRP, no more and no less.

3. i don't know what the size is relative to the element, but it's much cheaper, and the element, while having much more cargo volume on paper, has a lousy payload capacity. then again, the xB's might be lousy, too. i don't see the payload capacity listed anywhere, though perhaps it is listed in the owner's manual. time to take a trip downstairs to the car!

4. the car has tons of room. you can seat five, but in reality i think four is much more realistic. it's comfortable for four people--not a problem.

5. people who at first thought it was dorky really dug the car when they came up to me in the company parking lot and sat in it. bond traders are a pretty tough lot of people, and you should understand that most of the guys drive nice german cars--myself included. however, once they sat inside the car and looked around, they were pretty impressed...especially when i told them about the $14K all-in price!

it's nice to have something that costs around $20 to fill up at the pump, compared to the $37 my BMW 325ci was costing me every time. mind you, i get 300 miles on one tank versus 400 miles on the BMW, but the xB's tank is 11-odd gallons versus the 16-odd gallons of the BMW--and it doesn't drink premium fuel.
  • dshmbadshmba Member Posts: 1
    I have had a scion Xb for the last month. Nice car however it seems to have some quality issues. The rear hatch always needs to be slammed for it to close and latch. The front hood is the same way. The dealer said this is the way the car was built....... I hope that someone from Toyota reads this and can shed some light on the subject. It seems that the latch should be adjustable....... Have also experienced some rattles at about 3000 rpm when the car is slowing down. For the money its a good value but this little "elements" no pun intended could be a thorn in Toyota's side and might give Honda the room they need to steal some business from Scion....
  • tpat3tpat3 Member Posts: 119
    Picked up my completely stock, 5 spd. Thundercloud xB yesterday. Still smiling.

First off, anyone who is worried about power shouldn't be. It's no rocket but is plenty quick off the line. Part of that stems from the short clutch take-up. The throws are fairly long and the shifter resists a little, but seems to be getting smoother. Or it's my imagination.

This car handles great. It's nice and tight and really holds the corners. There is very little body roll, but I haven't pushed it too hard, either. The ride is firm but not really harsh.

I like the visibility and seat position, except the seat bottom is short. Might pose a problem on longer trips. This is about the only car I've sat in where my right leg doesn't rub the center console. On the the other hand, the driver's door armrest/window controls hits my left leg.

Even though there are plenty of little storage bins, they are almost flat and made of hard plastic, so nothing really stays put. There isn't much interior lighting, but that can probably be fixed.

Those who have commented about the amount of attention it gets are right. In one day I've gotten everything from thumbs up, to looks of disapproval to laughter. It certainly gets attention.

I had the kids in the back seat (both very young and still in car seats). Getting them in and out was a breeze. I'm not small, but I had plenty of room to maneuver back there.

The best part was picking up my wife who had been away on a trip and didn't know I had bought it. She saw the car coming from a long way off and knew right away is was me.

I love it so far. If you're thinking seriously about getting one, go for it. This is one cool, fun, practical little car.
  • tpat3tpat3 Member Posts: 119
    I was stuck in traffic next to a school bus full of little kids yesterday morning. One of them starting yelling to all his friends. Then about 20 of them were pressed against the windows, pointing at me and laughing. It was just like my wife's reaction.

It caused quite a stir at work, too. Everyone thought it was pretty funny, but once they sat in it and looked it over they all liked it. One woman called the dealer where I bought it looking to trade her new Element for one.

On the way home, I stopped to let a truck driver cross the street. He just stood in the middle road staring at the car with his mouth open.
  • roketsciontistroketsciontist Member Posts: 5
    Well, I picked up my new Scion a few weeks ago from Kalamazoo, Michigan with 2 miles on it! It is Black Cherry Pearl, 5speed, +chrome door sills +cupholder illumination +subwoofer +6cd indash +carbon fiber OBX shifter +front strut tower brace +rear bumper applique. I broke it in proper for the first 1000 miles (never exceeded 3800 RPM and never maintained speed). The acceleration is more than adequate for passing in traffic, and the strut tower seems to keep the front end from diving in the corners. I get lots of looks and haven't seen another one on the road yet in Michigan, Ohio, or Indiana (I travel for my engineering job). Only real complaint so far is lack of center armrest, but I plan on buying one from Zeta Products. Wheels can break loose in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear with traction control disabled! I'm going to put larger diameter winter tires on the stock rims when the snow falls, and I'm going to buy wider tires with offset rims for next spring. The engine does emit a droning noise when maintained between 3500-4000 RPM (72-80 MPH in fifth gear), but you don't notice when you turn the stereo on anyway! Ride is a little stiff, but suspension seems really good...makes you feel like you are in a pimped out Civic even though you are in a Box! Crosswinds and hills haven't given me any problems, and the traction control and vehicle skid control seemed to do their job when I got caught in a rain storm last week.
  • aquanomicsaquanomics Member Posts: 7
    2005 xB camo, 5-spd. 2200 miles since late July '04

A/C (I live in Las Vegas, NV) works fine. Like all cars I've owned here, cool down after hours in the sun takes a while, but it does cool down. Never had a time when the heat overpowered the A/C.

I too get a whine: 40 mph, 3rd or fourth gear -- could whine in 2nd, but the rpms would drown out the whine. Reproducible, will wait until 5k before complaining.

Love my Toaster! I am continually questioned at red light about my xB.

1st choice was black cherry, but camo arrived as I wanted, options wise. Liking the camo more than than black cherry.

Happy Motoring!

Phil
  • mpalmermpalmer Member Posts: 20
    And boy is she sweeet:) The only things I got financed in the deal were the security system and the door sill enhancements. I like the ride. It feels like a little go cart, and the interior space is amazing. At first, I didn't like the looks of the "box". But I guess it kind of grew on me cuz the more I saw it, the more I liked it.

The Scion sales team were very professional and they made my car buying experience painless and pleasant. I guess you can probably tell (lol)that so far I am pleased with my purchase. :)

Marion
  • revmegrevmeg Member Posts: 1
    We've had an xB since the end of May and we love it! It's an automatic and our mileage runs 28 plus around touwn and 36 plus on trips. Our trips tend to be with a highly loaded car and high speeds. That was our primary concern for purchasing a new car as well. We'd wanted a Prius, but the 2 year wait nixed that. Besides, the xB has way more space and we are so happy with it.

There's been discussion on fog lights -- we got them (because I thought the front looked empty without them) and have found them very helpful. We vacation in Maine and often hit fog on the roads at night. Where we live is also around many streams where there's nightly patchy fog. I'm very happy we got them. I find them not to be just pleasing to the eye, but very helpful.

I also found the interior lower lighting to be a necessity. With the dash items so high (and very convenient) it makes the lower part of the car quite dark. I had to drive the first two days without them and it drove me nuts. Too dark. The lower lights (we happen to have green) are not distracting at all, but helpful when we drop things or even need to look over at the other seat.

Good luck!
  • marimbaleamarimbalea Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Revmeg! Your advice is very helpful! I'm actually on my way to Indy to test drive the xA and xB now!

Cheers!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I have had my car now for less than 5 days. It has about 350 miles on it, it had 5 when I got it. I drive alot of miles. The first tank yielded 31 mpg.

My gripes are few. First, Toyota decided to leave off the fuel cap holder off the fuel door. I plan to rip off the attachment so the fuel cap just doesn't dangle on the car. Mine is Blue Onyx pearl (I chose it), and it scratches very easily. Now combine that with everyone that wants to touch it, thats a bad combination. Finally, an armrest would be nice, although I did find one on the internet.

On the positive side, their is nothing like it on the road. The packaging is great. It is quite and it rides and handles great. Its not soft, but it isn't stiff either. I have the strut tie bar. The steering is great. The radio is great for a factory system, even though, I never hear the rear speakers. There is 4 in the front (2 in the front dash, and 2 in the front doors) and 2 in the back (the very back).

Overall, I am very impressed. The only thing I wonder in time if my paint job will survive.

Note: The second day I took my car in to get an alignment. The dealership scratched the crap out of it and I had to take it to a body shop for repair. Be wary!
  • puggopuggo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Scion Xb and so far I love it. The interior space is amazing. For $15,000 and all the standard features, it is a bargain. Best of all it is a Toyota with the quality and reliability of one.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I'm glad your Xb came in. I too am looking at the Blue Onyx pearl but I may reconsider based on your observations. Did you get the 5 speed or the auto tranny? I test drove the auto and I ran it at 70 mph on I-70 for a good 8 miles and rpm's were at 3000. I do a lot of hwy. driving and will put 350 miles/week on mine too, so I'm thinking that the auto will be the choice for me. What other options did you get?
  • mnikosmnikos Member Posts: 31
    Bought my 2006 xB August 1 2005; have about 4,000 miles on it now. I just put about 1300 miles on it driving round trip from Palm Springs to San Francisco and had the greatest time. I only stopped to put gas in; other than that it was non-stop and totally comfortable. When I drove without A/C got about 32 mpg (freeway). Things to watch for:
    1. LOW front bumper. You'll tear it up if you pull in over curbs or parking lot concrete barriers.
    2. Radio panel is hard to see during the day because of its convex shape.
    3. Get the rear bumper protector right away (it's just a decal). Otherwise your bumper will get all scraped up easily.
    4. Paint quality isn't the greatest on mine (black cherry pearl). It's already got lots of little scrapes where you lift the door handles up.
    5. Get the Zeta armrest (or some other after-market), not the Scion one.
    6. I bought a Magellan GPS unit which attaches to a flexible stalk that suction-cups to the inside of the windshield (I'm hopelessly directionally-impaired). Because the speedometer is in the center, the GPS sits perfectly on the dashboard directly in front of you, where a speedometer would normally be. AWESOME.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said:

I just put about 1300 miles on it driving round trip from Palm Springs to San Francisco and had the greatest time. I only stopped to put gas in; other than that it was non-stop and totally comfortable. When I drove without A/C got about 32 mpg (freeway).

That's outstanding gas mileage. On my stick shift Golf, which gave me freeway commute mileage of 30 mpg, I dropped to 26 mpg on 80+ mph runs from San Francisco to LA. On my current ZX3, I dropped from commute mileage of 31 to 29-30 - not so bad a hit, due to lower RPM on the ZX3, I suspect. On my former xA stick shift, I got 30-32 but 35 mgp on my freeway commute. I mostly don't use aircon. High speeds seem to reduce mileage due to RPM/air resistance.

Questions for you - stick shift or auto? Average speed (under or over 80 mph)?
  • mnikosmnikos Member Posts: 31
    Mine's automatic. Average speed under 80, though I do admit to hitting 80+ a couple of times (very short duration). Probably averaged 70-75 on Highway 5.
  • 2gobox2gobox Member Posts: 1
    I've had my car for 3 months now and could not be more pleased. I own the black sand pearl 2004, manual, and it does get dirty fast, but the color is one of the best looking, in my opinion. As far as the low bumper, you learn to drive slow and at an angle...and not pull up "all the way" to a concrete parking thingies. There are quite a lot of people in this area who have yet to see one, they are still kinda rare in the midwest, especially living by a steel mill area. I did about 25 hours of reading, before I bought this car, and am more than pleased. My problem was it was hard to find a used xB cheaper than a new xB! I finally found one for $12,800 with 16,000 miles and it had extras: fog lights, alarm, blue neon lighting, leather steering wheel, rims, mats. I would have not been able to afford all of the extras on a new one. I found it on e-bay also, what a deal!
  • jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    i have had my 06' xb auto since october. i have done several cosmetic mods to give it a personal touch. i do get alot of looky-loos. i love it. i drive it round trip average of 60 miles on highway per day. i average 80 mph so my mileage is only about 27-28 mpg, but at 3200 rpm and 80 mph i can't complain.the steering is very responsive, suspension is very tight, boy can this baby take a turn.... trans shifts hard if you push it. if you are just cruising, it shifts very nice. this thing will cruise at 80 mph all day if i let it. motor runs very well with castrol semi-synthetic oil. i took it across country last month, 3200 miles in a week and a half . it only labored a little on steep grades and in open areas with bad winds, otherwise it is fun to drive. biggest complaint i have is the two rock chips that i got in the windshield traveling through texas! :mad:
    as far as comfort issues....only one i had is that my right knee got stiff after 10 hours of driving in a high seat. my teen daughter says the car is totally cool and i truely enjoy driving it daily (i am 35). i now have 7,800 miles on it since october. ;)
    also, this thing has tons of room inside and reminds me of a minivan on the inside. also on those long trips your passenger can lay the seat all the way down to take a nap! :shades:
  • debatingdebating Member Posts: 14
    ...but I drive part time for a florist. She purchased an XB last November, it now has around 22 or 23,000 miles. Zero problems. Stop and go delivery is very hard service for any vehicle.

The other vans she has are Ford Windstar and similar. They'll empty a $65 or $70 tank of fuel in under three days driving. The Scion does the same delivery for just a bit shy of $30.00. Mostly in the 28 to 32 MPG range. Everybody loves it, we've had endless comments from various people, mostly positive.

I'm over 6'2", and have a few inches head room over my ball cap. You sit at chair height, not sitting on the floor as in so many small cars.

We took the rear seat out for space, and it's hard to believe something that small on the outside can hold as much as it does on the inside.

On the short interstate jaunts we go on, it has no problems running 75 or even 80. A fun vehicle to drive, and it doesn't roll on the interstate ramps as bad as the Winstar did. Pretty sure footed.

An impressive and economical vehicle. And as with anything made by Toyota, it is assembled very nicely.
  • hootcoothootcoot Member Posts: 5
    Mine's Blue w/ and auto trans. Bought a used 2004, 6/06, and love it. Am disappointed in the paint quality, but have read other colors quality is similar.
    Do 300mi/wk and avg. 32.8 mpg with 50% country, 25% city and 25% hiway @ 70-80 mph. Cruise control is on my wishlist.
    Car came w/ rear spoiler, 6 disc CD changer, Fog Lights, Sport Exhaust and Weather Tech Window shades. The window shades keep water out of the interior while driving and are a great addition. I added an aftermarket smoked Bug deflector (Bugflector) to protect the hood from stone chips...it's helped and the color blends well w/ the Blue.
    I love the car and the interior space, functionality and ergonomics. The seating height matched that of many vans I've owned. That was a main cosideration when buying this car. Plus, it fits my life style and my Lab's too!
    I wonder if your frame is crooked. Check to see if the car "crabs" or drives slightly sideways on the road.
  • lellowlemonlellowlemon Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Thunder Cloud Metallic xB a month ago and absolutely love it. I went from a lemon :lemon: Beetle that provided only problems and heartache. The xB was the best combination of my wants and needs. I needed fuel efficency, size, RELIABILITY, low price and safety. I looked at the Fit as well as the Versa, but never could sell myself on the styling. But once I got in my box everything clicked. I am thinking about changing the rims as well as adding the spoiler. So far I love it. The silver paint holds the scrathes better than the blue or black. But those other colors are way prettier.
  • domino2domino2 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I'm feeling a little sad after reading all these rave reviews for the xb. I bought my box about a year ago and have had nothing but problems.

I bought it new from Dave Edwards Toyota in SC. First my radio randomly changed stations - so I took it back. It took nearly 2 months for the new "part" to come in. Once they replaced the radio I pointed out the hole in my back seat upholstery which the service department told me was normal. They finally agreed it needed fixed...but they had to order more "parts". Next I was driving on a long trip when my cruise control, and radio just died. Turned out I had blown a fuse. They told me it was because I had my cell phone plugged into the cigarette lighter which you can't do with the scion xb. REALLY???

Now I have 17,000 miles on it and driving on a long trip - my dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. The VSC light came on the track off light came on and the check engine light came on. I hit my track button a few times but it wouldn't turn on. I made an appointment to take the car in and of course - after 3 days of driving around with these lights on - they finally went off. I just heard from the dealership and they have to order me yet another part - so I'll need to come back in when that part shows up. I am seriously thinking about trading it in. Has anyone else had any of these same problems?

I also discovered that it drives terrible in the rain. And my back seat passengers said that the rides pretty rough back there.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    First off, I truly sympathize with your problems. I had a '99 Corolla that had major suspension problems which occupied me for just about the entire first year I owned it. The fact that Toyota, with its "sterling" reputation, is responsible for such difficulties and the ensuing repair snafus, goes against common belief about their reliability. Understandably, not every vehicle comes off the assembly line perfectly manufactured, but what grates about the xB is that the vehicle has had well-documented troubles with the front window cracking, without Scion admitting to the flaw and recompensing its purchasers. Now your disturbing situation, in which your dealer's service department appears totally clueless, if not downright uncooperative at times. (A hole in the upholstery was normal to them?)

I apologize for venting myself, but I've had my own share of negative experiences with Toyota. Oddly enough, I had thought of getting an xB simply for investment purposes, as it is soon to be discontinued in its current form, and remains popular. But after reading about your situation, I cannot imagine giving that company another dollar.

I wish you well as you try to solve your problems. At least you'll be able to sell it for a good price, especially after all the new ones are gone.
    It sounds like your dealer crossed some wires while installing the Cruise Control.
    The OEM tires really stink...I replaced mine with Yokohama Avid TRZ's. Now it drives and handles very well in the rain.
    I really hope all turns out well for you.
    The dealership (or whoever installed the cruise) certainly is the culprit. Have you been installing accessories on your own? The wiring is messed up, that's why the fuse blew the 1st time. It sounds like they tapped into the lighter wire and when that caused problems, they tapped into another area, and now you may have a ground problem. Why do you keep taking it to the same dealer? Go to another dealer and describe the problems. It sounds like your dealer fixes electrical issues by using a "bigger hammer."

Also the ride in the back is stiff because your rear seat passengers are literally sitting on top of the rear wheels. Go to Sears and buy a set of Monroe Sensatrac shocks and install them yourself. Cost: about $50 on sale. It takes about 20 minutes to install with simple hand tools. The Monroe's ride softer and are better for rear riders. There are many posts on this site with directions on how to change the shocks.

The tires will last about 35k miles with proper inflation and rotation but they're pretty cheap. Read the other posts under "tires and wheels" to find out what works on others XB's I changed mine to Falken Ziex 512's in 195 60 15 and noticed a huge improvement. I have 54,000 on my 2005 TCM and have made the above changes and am pleased with the outcome. Good luck.
    Good info on the shocks, thanks. I have put 12,000 mi. on my xB since getting it used w/ 44,000 on it. The new TRZ's work well and add a quieter and softer ride with better steering response.
    Have thought about installing an infrared cruise system, but @ $200+, haven't justified the expense.
  • yodasxbyodasxb Member Posts: 2
    I recently had the same thing happen to my 2006 xB -- automatic transmission, no cruise control. It seems to go on and off every few days. My mechanic (whom I trust) says he believes it's related to the oxygen sensor passing bad data to the car but before I buy a new sensor (there's apparently a new part number available), I was wondering if you'd let me know how your problem was resolved?!?!
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    I've had my xB for almost a year. That station-changing problem occured on a large number of radios due to a manufacturing defect, a service bulletin was put out on it, and dealers replaced the radios. At the height of the problem, new radios were in short supply.
    Somewhere in doing two radio installs and a cruise control install, your dealer must have shorted something to cause the electrical problems.
    I use the cigarette lighter to charge my cell phone on trips, and it does not blow the fuse.
    In the first week I replaced my rear shocks with SensaTracs, in the driveway in 30 minutes, and the ride became smooth.
    I have stock tires and have not noticed any problem in heavy rain on the Interstate up to 70 mph. Maybe toward the end of their tread life they will not be so good in water.
  • smithpa4smithpa4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 06 XB last March, loved it, but just in the last 6 months, I have got rattles and creaks all through the vehicle, you would swear this vehicle is 10 years old half the time, took it in to the dealership, and isn't it just amazing they didn't hear a thing. Monday my windshield got hit by a rock, wednesday on the way to work ( only 7 miles away) I watched this crack increase in size by 4 inches. The only place here inthe Salt Lake Valley to replace the windshield is the dealer, at a cost of &505.18. I am not that happy little camper anymore. And to top this off, my climate controls arn't matched up with the settings! :(
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Got my 'O6 Manual xB last March and have been lucky. Not a thing to complain about in 11,000 miles. Still smells new, and is so much fun to drive.
  • yodasxbyodasxb Member Posts: 2
    After a few more weeks of driving on the new intake, with the lights turning on and off at unpredictable intervals, they have now been off for a solid month. I'm assuming the sensor adjusted to the new mixture or something... Anyway, back to normal!
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I had the dash lights on my '05 xB light up like a Christmas Tree as well. It was pretty scary because I was on my way up the local canyon in the middle of a snowstorm and didn't want to get stuck. I took it to the dealer and they told me there was a service bulletin on this particular issue. Continuing to drive the vehicle was not a problem and they ordered parts and had them in within a week. They did the required service, installed the parts under factory warranty and I was off and running no worse for the wear. Your results may vary depending on the dealer you have service your vehicle.

I bought my xB used for a vendor that is not affiliated with any dealership. I have brought my xB into the local dealership to do a few repairs since I got it but they have been small and minor and have not kept me out of having fun driving my xB and having a blast doing it. I am now modifying my box to fit my style and it is great. There are a lot of owner groups out there that are very knowledgable about the box and can typically help through any problem.
  • rovertonroverton Member Posts: 20
    2008-White
    Just picked it on on Friday and too a 324 mile trip for a mpg of 30.1.
    This baby rides smooooth and without wind noise. Another reason for liking this is when hitting bumps on the road it is smooth compared to other vechiles driven.
    The only complaints are:
    - No arm rest for the passenger
    - For the driver, the left arm has no where to rest logically as the bottom of the window is to high and the area where the button are is too low. Otherwise this is a great buy.
    -The backseat room is great.
    ? rhovertonyahoo.com
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to get consumer feedback on the redesigned Scion xB. You do not have to be an owner to respond. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than June 1, 2007 with your daytime contact information
  • penny1200penny1200 Member Posts: 4
    i have had my xb now for a week and i couldnt be happier! this little box is a head turner! :shades: i like the new body style - it is a little more rounded but still has that great box style! the color i chose is blackberry crush and what a color ;) in full sun it looks like a dark brownish then you get the red metallic flecks shine through! i added a rear spoiler, rear bumper protector, led underdash and cupholders, illuminated door sill enhancements, mats - front and rear, exhaust tip and it is now at the body shop getting a power sunroof! i am in my late 30's and have 2 kids but when i drive this awesome car i feel like i did in my cruisin days! what a fun ride :D
    i am getting better than expected gas mileage (average to date: 30mpg city/highway) and the ride is quiet and smooth! i went from a luxury sedan to this and the ride is equal if not better imo. i took myself, my friend, her 2 children and my 2 children on a weekend trip and we was all very comfortable! obviously i cant say enough about my cool new ride! :shades:
    So how did you squueze 2 adults and 4 children in the XB? 4 kids in the rear seat were comfortable?
    lol not as hard as it sounds! the xb has tons of room! i was driving (obviously) my son sat in the front seat (he is disabled) my friend, her son (9 yrs), her daughter (11) and my daughter (12) was in the back seat and they was not crammed! if you have kids or around kids in a car on a trip; if they are the least uncomfortable you will hear about it! i didnt get one complaint on the whole trip! but the portable dvd players and mp3's didnt hurt either! ;)
    Well, They must've been sufficiently distracted to not notice that they were cramped. I have an '05 XB and I drove 10 hours with an 18, 16, and 11 year old in the rear. They didn't complain either but they were only 3 deep. I'm looking at the '08's and still not too overwhelmed by the new design. How is the MPG on your 08?
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Just took my first trip in my 08 xB and I am very satisfied with my mileage. On the freeway doing 70/73 mph I managed to get 32 mph. My city mpg is 26 mpg. Now, I only have 700 miles on it, however I am pleased with this cars mileage.

Your mileage may vary depending on how you drive and what the traffic is like in your city.
    my mileage so far is staying at the 30 mpg. i use 87 octane but i am going to try a higher octane and compare on my next fill up. we live in a rural area so i put a lot of "highway" miles on my xb. we live about 45 min away from the "big" cities. i just hit my 1500 mile mark this weekend. still lovin the ride! :shades:

good luck with your new xb!
  • oneuglysignmanoneuglysignman Member Posts: 1
    Im sorry but no color beats White! It's sleek and receive many looks. I do have a few plaints about it tho... for instance when it rains all the water on the roof seems to always head for the open drivers window and gets all over the door panel inside. I donrt want them water guards, they're ugly looking.
    As for bumps.. the ride could be better. The ipod touch hooked up is a good deal... no more cd's. Other than a fresh cracked windshield from Mr. Pebble i'm content for now. This will be my first new car and first winter coming from a 91 ford e250 cargo. I sometimes cant take the helicopter sound/feeling without rolling down all windows. kills my ears when that happens. I'd give the car a 9.5. Also just learned today that Ford is releasing the Flex next summer. It looks hideous and we'll probably see it all over. See thats another reason why I chose this Scion. No one around my area has the same car, in White. Many tC's and few xA's but hardly any xB's, especially the newer models. For fun, I like to park next to the older model xB's and get a chuckle of the differences between the 2. One time a person w/ a 06 white xb left me a note on my windshield saying... "Very Funny". Well thats my story... I love it. Check out the xD when you get a chance. Make sure to look at iut in WHite also. No other color works for scions.
  • wapswaps Member Posts: 19
    Bought my new xb 8 Feb 08 after looking at cars for well over a month. Lots of room, plenty of power. Very happy I own one. 22 thousand seems like a lot to pay and some of you will say I'm nuts. Fully loaded is worth every penny to me. Last 100 mile trip. 33.2 mpg. Yahoo.
  • srocks4srocks4 Member Posts: 13
    I bought my '05 box new and love it, still. But no longer got 34-36 all around (80highway/20city) since taking it to SF Toyota for the oil change. Started to get 20-24 after leaving their shop. They told gave me different reasons of the "normal" cause the winter gasoline, the a/c probably causing it, blah, blah, short of telling the BS, told them I've drivin it for 2+ years and mpg range 32-38mpg and never 20-24mpg.
    Told them the problem started after taking the car home from their shop, they rechecked. Turns out they tighten my handbrake so hard that the parking brakes were rubbing as I drove, they said they fixed it but I still got the crummy 20-24 MPG with the same driving. Took it back 3 times and the best I can get now is 28-30 with the same type of driving. So freakin, disappointed. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.