Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Audio Questions

Comments

• mobolajimobolaji Member Posts: 1
    Did you find the code? I have a 1997 honda and I believe the code is on the back of the stereo and I was hoping I would not have to pay to remove it and find out.
  • zg54zg54 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and see there's a lot of kind expertise here! Just purchased a 2004 EX V6 Navi and am loving it. Have activated the XM radio and notice that the artist name and song title are cut off way short of the right edge of the screen. The screen itself functions fine in map mode, so I know it's not dead pixels. Any reason the artist name and song titles don't use full width of the screen when the rest of the channel buttons below use the full width with no problems?
  • zg54zg54 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, forgot to specify the vehicle is a 2004 Accord EX V6 Navi
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I've noticed the same thing on my 04 EX-L so it's not just your car.

I don't know for sure, but it almost seems like XM limits the # of characters displayed for NAME and TITLE.

Mrbill
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    That's just the way it works. I'm not sure that the screen would hold more info or if XM limits the characters.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    This has been discussed before, but no one seems to have an official answer...

I have an '06 V6 6MT w/navigation and I want to hook up the USA spec aux input adaptor. Will I just be taking the XM plug out, putting the Y-adaptor in, then pluggin the USA spec and the XM back into the Y-adaptor?...do I lose any XM control functions or audio quality? Any advice and/or photos of the install would be great.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    A Google search found some info here:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/pa11-hon2y.pdf
    There is a sixteen character limit on XM song titles on Accords equipped both with and without Navigation systems. The figure includes spaces. In fact, some XM channels delete the spaces and capitalize the first letters of words to squeeze in more data.
  • nircdocnircdoc Member Posts: 26
    I was wondering the same thing. I read somewhere that you lose the song text of the XM but I could not confirm this Hopefully someone that has this installed can comfirm?
    Maybe it's me and my stupid ideas, but wouldn't it make sense to contact the manufacturer and ask your question?

http://www.usaspec.com/contact.html
  • sampowerssampowers Member Posts: 30
    I picked up a 05 EX W/NAV used about a month or two ago. I was fooling around with the radio and I decided to try XM out. For some reason I could not get the thing to go to channel 000. When you change channels, it goes from, CD to radio am, fm 1 & 2, and then to XM channels 001 and 001. I know the radio is supposed to go to 000 after 001, but it will not. This car was purchased from the dealership (certified) and I assumed reset to the factory defaults. I was thinking about just disconnecting the battery but with the NAV, I thought otherwise. Any suggestions?
    The dealer's electrical technician should know exactly what to do. You paid for the car, now make them make it work.
    Did you try turning the knob on the dash when your in XM mode? I just did it on my 05 EX-L NAVI and it went to 000.

If you were using the steering wheel controls, they only switch between stations programmed into the radio.

Mrbill
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    dumb question, but does it work on the normal XM stations? Just becsue it has XM, doesn't mean there is an active subscription.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sampowerssampowers Member Posts: 30
    I did try (for about a half hour...Talk about insanity) and got the same results. Oh, well back to the dealership!
    I may not be duplicating what your seeing since I'm currently subscribed to XM, but I'm puzzled why turning the tuning knob didn't get you to channel 000.

When you select XM, do you receive channel 001? Without an XM subscription, channel 001 (and maybe it was also 002) are the only channels that work They were sort of preview channels. If you can't get XM 001, then I'm wondering if someone unplugged the XM module in your car. If I remember correctly, some of the Ipod type interfaces required disconnecting the XM radio and plugging into the harness.

BTW, XM channel 000 only displays the XM code for your radio.

Did you try your Voice Recognition to get to XM 000? "XM ZERO ZERO ZERO"
    Mrbill
  • georgemgeorgem Member Posts: 1
    Accord EX 2005 model: Battery went dead to due unuse...when recharged audio system does not work... the word "code" appears on lcd screen...any help as to what i do next?
    This happens whenever you disconnect the battery. You need to enter the radio code that came with the car. It should be on a small card that looks like a credit card. It would have been with your owner's manual and other stuff when you bought the car... assuming that you bought it new.
    I finally decided to pull the trigger on the USASpec iPod/Aux adapter. It's on its way, so I should have it installed soon. As soon as I go through the process, i'll post some info on installation details if anyone is interested. I'll be installing in an '06 EX V6 6MT w/Nav, so i'm curious to see if the splitter will hurt my audio quality on XM.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Probably won't hurt XM audio quality considering XM is only MP3 quality at best.
  • dancer3dancer3 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the battery.
    Got the code from honda, radio worked, then stopped.
    I tried to replaced the code, but it will only take 4 of the 5 numbers.

Keeps giving me an error after 4 numbers input. Help!!
    My 06 radio code is only 4 numbers. My guess is that the 05 would be the same. Of course, if you got the radio to work one time, you must have done something right. You may have to call the dealer again.
    My USASpec iPod adapter arrived today and, after 2-3 grueling hours, it's installed (and awesome!!)! I haven't played around with the playlist mode yet, but the direct mode works nice...you can toggle songs within a playlist/album using your steering wheel controls or the headunit controls. The iPod volume control is inoperable when plugged in, so volume is completely controlled by your stereo, which is good. The sound is greater than or equal to CD quality from what I've heard so far, but I guess that's also dependent on the quality of your files. Plus, no degradation in XM quality noticed either.
    I was skeptical at first about how this would actually sync up with the head unit, but all I had to do was unplug the XM cable, plug in the Y-plug from USAspec into the headunit, re-attach XM to the Y-plug, and off you go. Once your ipod is plugged in and your car is on, you just hit the XM/CD/Aux button until you get to 'CD-C', which appears after you toggle past your in-dash CD changer.

The only downfall was that the Crutchfield directions didn't apply to my model trimline as nicely as I had hoped. It never mentioned various screws and clips that left me searching for a while to make sure I didn't miss a screw before I pulled a piece out. There were several times when I prayed and hoped that prying hard enough would disengage a clip rather than snap a piece of my dash!...which luckily didn't happen. Once I got down to the stereo itself, there are also additional screws below the stereo that crutchfield doesn't mention, but the 6MT has the 180 watt stereo (plus nav), so that probably changed things a bit and made the removal a little scarier since I knew it was $2K I was prying from the dash.

Anyway, from the time I spent just sitting in my car like a loser and admiring this new toy, I can say it's definitely worth the hassle of installation. I have the USAspec cable from the stereo running under the shifter and cupholder completely out of view. And, once I get a big enough drill bit tomorrow, it will go right through into the center console where I'll have the USAspec box mounted so it will be a seamless integration with my ipod resting in the upper console portion under the armrest.

I thought of taking pictures, but my barbaric method of trial and error wouldn't have made it very practical, so if anyone has any questions at all about installation/operation, just let me know and I'd be glad to answer them or walk you through installation.

BOTTOM LINE so far: if you have an ipod or mp3 player, this thing is terrific!!...especially for $129!!!
  • nircdocnircdoc Member Posts: 26
    dairyshick:

Thanks for the info one question i had: does the XM text still appear on the stereo? Any text for the ipod?

Thanks in advance
  • dancer3dancer3 Member Posts: 2
    I found that if I push a certain combo of buttons, the audio goes on for a short time, around 1 or 2 minutes. Display (where the clock is) goes on and off with pushing the cd button. If I push the pwr button, the clock comes on after a full minute. Seems like the control chip is not functioning correctly. Your thoughts?
    Uh... only listen to short songs? :)

I haven't heard of your problem before so I can't help you. I would think the dealer would have at least heard of this issue before.
  • snarkithsnarkith Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to find out if the aux port in the back of my factory stereo is your basic white/red audio ports so I can use that to hook up my ipod. Also if anyone knows how to remove the stereo to get to the ports that would be appreciated. Thanks!
    No text is displayed, which would be the benefit of the MusicLink, but with that came plenty of bugs and crappy operation (I don't think they even make it anymore)
    Anyway, the stereo displays the track # and track time. So, knowing which playlist you're in is your best bet for avoiding fiddling with the ipod while driving.
    My main 'like' of this product was how it was custom-tailored to hard-wire into the Accord stereo, so that's what gave it the edge over plenty of other products...Plus, the additional Aux port may come in handy, too.
    That would make too much sense, but it's not the case. There's a Honda-specific port back there, so you would need one of the aux adaptor products that connect to it...i just installed the USASpec iPod adapter, which does just that...see my previous post before your post.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Are there any other mp3 players besides the apple that use the dock connector that will allow control by the steering wheel/radio?
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    Does anyone know what the part numbers are for the tweeter
    lid assemblies for a Ivory interior on a 2007.
    iPod is the standard for now.
    You will even be able to buy a washing machine with a built-in iPod dock soon:

However a new standard is coming that will have a "standard port" dock format that many future MP3 players will support.

Not sure why they don't just use USB as the "new" connector/charger.
  • toddandshawnatoddandshawna Member Posts: 1
    I now own a 2007 Accord VP. What website or what store can I order the below parts at?

2-Ea 39120-SDA-A61 SPEAKER ASSY., TWEETER (MATSUSHITA)
    1-Ea 77133-SDA-A01ZA LID, R. TWEETER
    1-Ea 77138-SDA-A01ZA LID, L. TWEETER

Please let me know.
  • wangdangwangdang Member Posts: 1
    The six CD changer plays a CD, then starts the same CD over again. This is a pain when I am listening to multi-disk audio books. I'd like for it to automatically move to the next disk when one ends. I can't find anything in the Owner's manual that tells how to change this. Anyone know a trick I can try?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Mine automatically moves to the next disc, but it did since new.
    Mine switches to the next disc. Is there a repeat function you have selected? I'm too lazy to go look now. If not, there is something wrong with your player.
  • prasanth13prasanth13 Member Posts: 4
    honda owner link has these parts. but you need to specify your car as LX (or some trim which comes with the tweeters)
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    I ordered from the following web site. they have the best price and shipping fee that I could find. What color interior do you have. The clid part number that ends in a 'A' I believe is for black, If it ends in "b" it's ivory.

http://www.hondacentralparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214480
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I think the tweeters are pretty good. But the rest of the OEM speakers are pretty bare bones. I haven't had the ones in my Accord replaced, but I did do the fronts in our Odyssey. What came out looked like something you could buy at odd lots for $5, and the magnet hardly weighed anything.

If I was putting in speakers, I would go aftermarket. I did, however, keep the tweeters in the van (and would do so in the Accord), based on recommendation from the stereo shop. He said that Honda is known to have about the worst OEM speakers of anyone, at least in the lower line cars.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, I totally agree, the stock speakers for my 06 accord were just okay, they really did not have any character or anything to work with. I chose to upgrade. I had very efficient Memphis Audio component speakers installed all the way around, they sound nearly flawless!! If I wanted even louder sound, I would hook up a separate amplifier, but they are just fine without. Definitely worth the upgrade, very clean and warm sounding. I never heard of them before, but I will stick with them even in my next car, but take it a step further and have an amp hooked to them. I did hear them in a car with amp, and they were amazing loud and clean. But, if you do choose Memphis audio, just realize that these speakers take quite awhile to break in, meaning they will sound weird at first, but just let them play at a moderate level for awhile, and they'll break in, and sound great.

Memphis Audio
    Amplifiers are not only for playing "louder."
    An amplifier can bring out some sounds at low volume that you would have to blast the stereo to hear without the amp.
    You will be able to hear more lows, highs and nuances at a lower volume level with an amp than without.
    It can be a magnifying glass for your ears.
  • adiosharryadiosharry Member Posts: 3
    I want to install Sirius in my new Accord. Where do I find the AUX port on the radio and how do I access it so I can make a direct connection ?
    Thanks,
    Adiosharry
    The aux input is a honda-specific port on the back of your stereo. There are a few products that can convert that into a useable RCA input...I recently installed the USAspec adapter, which is available as an ipod adapter w/ an additional auxiliary input, or just an auxiliary input. So, pretty much you need to purchase an item like that, hook it up and then your sirius can go right into it. It just takes a little creativity (or even a drill!) to install it cleanly without wires all over. I ended up routing my wires for my adapter under the cupholder console and into the bottom of the center console through a hole i drilled into it...it's not as scary as it sounds!
  • stillwaters201stillwaters201 Member Posts: 3
    Where did you find it for $129?????? I am looking on ipodcarparts.com and the one for the 06 accords, which is PA11HON2y, is $150!!!
  • stillwaters201stillwaters201 Member Posts: 3
    I actually have! But to be compatible, rather do the same thing as the USA-SPEC with iPod, u have to buy an additional $60 connector, making it $5 more expensive than the one I found.
  • osikaosika Member Posts: 5
    Any chance you can provide installation instructions? I have seen a video on how to remove the storage compartment below the radio, so that I can get in behind it and plug in the usa spec box. But from there, I'm not sure how to mount the usa spec box securely. I've never done an installation before, but trust myself with the new car more than I do Best Buy, etc. Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    The USASpec is $149.00 on Crutchfield, but then there's a $20 off code (3A706) that you put in, plus the free shipping...that's how I got it for that. I don't think the code is valid for much longer, but i just tried it today and it's still working.

As far as removing the store compartment, you need to also take off the trim around the shifter then remove the change holder & power outlet...I don't have pics unfortunately, but I actually should be installing a bluetooth phone adapter in the next few weeks, so I can take the pictures then if you wanted to wait. If not, Crutchfield sends the installation instructions with the USAspec, so it's really not too bad. You just have to be careful because, depending on your car's trim level, there may be slight variations.

...but you will need to remove the stereo to plug the USAspec into it, so it does take a bit of courage and patience. If you have the nav with the upper single line display just below your windshield, that also has to come off.

After I had the USAspec plugged into my stereo, I ran the wires under the changeholder, shifter trim, and I took out the cupholder and ran it under that too. I then drilled a hole into the bottom of my center console and ran the wire through that so my USAspec box is accessible by opening up my console. That way, no wires are showing, but I can still get to it to change inputs. The iPod wire just runs up through that access hole in the upper console section where my iPod sits out of view.

I'll take pics next time I tear my dash apart!
  • osikaosika Member Posts: 5
    Well, I've placed an order for the adapter. Thanks a ton for the coupon code, that was awesome. I'll probably install it shortly after it arrives, but if you do open your dash up in the next week or so, I'd love to see pics. Otherwise, no big deal. Thanks!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I would really like to do this, but I am way to scared to hack in to my new car for this. I might take it to the place I have my speakers professionally installed, they do custom work all the time. Plus I have to be careful, I do not own my accord, I lease it, but I think if they install really good, then it would add to the car. How much you think I am looking at to install it proffesionally?