Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Audio Questions

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    is really very simple for a pro. They can do it before you can finish a cup of coffee!

Depending on their rates, maybe $40? Can't be much more, highly doubt it is more than an hours labor.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• hvacnhhvacnh Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of installing the adapter, how did you make out with your installation? Did you have to remove the radio/Navi? Also where did you enter the coupon code?
  • adiosharryadiosharry Member Posts: 3
    Im` getting my new Honda leasein August and will have it installed by Circuit City or BestBuy. They will remove the radio ,use an FM modulator and hard wire to the car radio. I`m going to get the Sirius Sportster. I estimate the total cost will be around $250.00 They will also remove the satellite radio .when I hand in the car at no extra cost .Don`t understand the coupon code you are referring to>
  • bestdealsbestdeals Member Posts: 11
    I am planning to buy EXL V6 or I4 in the next month and was wondering if it is a good idea to get the Honda MusicLink or get some other device from outside retailers (like BB,CCity, etc..) for my ipod. Did not see many reviews on the Music Link.
    Please advice. Thanks!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    USASpec ipod/mp3 link at crutchfield. Awesome reviews.

Look on Handa.com, they offer it as well. People say it works much better than the music link.

Crutchfield.com
    Handa.com
  • osikaosika Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I've heard only bad things about the MusicLink. I went ahead and purchased the USASpec ipod adapter and will install it soon. I'll let you know what I think. If you do buy the USASpec, make sure and check the previous posts as someone has posted a coupon code for crutchfield.com that will save you $20.
  • stillwaters201stillwaters201 Member Posts: 3
    Yea, I loked at all the options (MusicLink is a NONO), and with the $20 coupon given to me on here (thanks again!) the USASpec seemed to be the cheapest and best option, especially since you can supposedly control within a list from the steering wheel. I just recieved it, I'll be sure to post once I find time to install it. I love my baby too much to do it myself :blush: , I will prob take it to Best Buy, Fry's, or some audio install place. . .
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    I'm excited to see other people getting this...it's well worth your money! I'm actually curious to see how well it works in playlist mode because i'm basically too lazy to set up playlists on iTunes, so I just use the direct mode.
    If you've had any experience with installing car stereos, this is pretty easy, it just takes a while. I definitely wouldn't have risked it if I didn't have the experience, but it went well with a bit of patience and carefully popping some clips out. The navigation removal is necessary and was a bit freaky, but that also went fine.
    Either way, good luck to all new USASpec owners and let us know what you think of it when it's in.

On a separate note, there are actually very good bluetooth products out there that integrate into your accord stereo also. If you have a bluetooth phone or plan on getting one soon and are already installing the USASpec, I would definitely recommend getting a bluetooth unit and putting it in all at once...I wish I did, but instead I'll be tearing my dash apart again in the near future. The one i saw was a Parrot and it automatically mutes your stereo to allow for the speakers to be used for hearing your caller. If anyone actually already has a hardwired bluetooth, please let me know how it's working for you.

...just my two cents.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I bought one of these and it works great. It is loud and clear and the battery life is super long.
    I just leave it on the underside of the visor and it looks like a garage remote, so there is little risk of theft.

http://www.myblueant.com/supertooth-light-bluetooth-handsfree-video.htm

uh, well just beware when you take it to best buy or those other places, do your research, most of the time its young teens working on your car, and they may get a little rough with your car. Just be careful, have them walk through what they are going to do when installing the device. That way you'll know what they going to do with it, and you can inspect. Be careful! Most of the time, if you go to a professional shop that works on mods on cars you are likely to get better results. Ask if they have done cars like yours.
  • adiosharryadiosharry Member Posts: 3
    Great advice ,going to have it done on my new lease in August,
    Will reply to how I made out.
    Thanks,

adiosharry
  • rsd008rsd008 Member Posts: 1
    Hi ,
    I recently purchased new Accord 07 SE and also i am new to this forum. I was wondering , can you get MP3 player/converter setup in the same factory installed CD player. Also how much does it cost.
  • zaid918zaid918 Member Posts: 15
    hey everybody.

i just got a 2007 accord EX model (xm ready?) but anyhow, I wanted to get 2 auxilary inputs , one for my sirius radio and the other for an ipod. Does anybody know what adapter I need to get? I dont really care for the controls onm the steering wheel or the screen text, etc. I just want the basic 2 inputs. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks, i appreciate it!
    Steve
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    rsd008 and zaid918,

This may be what you are looking for:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonauxdmxv2.html
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    It doesn't look like that has any provision for hand's free dialing. Is there voice recognition or is that through the phone?
    Hands free will dialing will be done either by using voice tags you saved in the phone or a voice dial service through your carrier. If your phone supports voice tags, you press and hold the send button on on the blue tooth device and you can use the voice tags over bluetooth.
    The device does not have it's own voice dialing, it uses whatever you already have.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for the info on the blueant. You have me second guessing whether or not to tear apart my dash again to install a hardwired bluetooth unit. How does the sound quality seem to be on the blueant?...does anyone you're talking to ever complain about the quality?
    Does anyone else use any other bluetooth car products that they like?

As for the iPOD/Aux adaptor, the product listed above will do the same job, but I installed the USASpec Honda ipod interface and it works very well so far...it also charges the ipod while you're using it.
    It works well. Even voice recognition works over the bluetooth. It's still a speakerphone, so if you talk really softly, they are not going to hear you since the microphone isn't right next to your mouth.
    The only disadvantage I found is that it doesn't turn off with the car, so if you leave it on and your car is very nearby to where you are in the house, the phone will stay paired to it and you will have to turn off bluetooth on your phone to answer a call.
    The standby time is several days, so if you forget to turn it off or just prefer to leave it on 24/7 so you don't have to keep turning it on and off, you don't have to worry that its battery will die overnight.
    If you insist on installing a hardwired system instead of the portable unit, check this:

http://www.autointelligence.com/upload/assets/videos/BCInstall_348kbs.wmv
  • brad627brad627 Member Posts: 10
    I have an 04 ex with leather and sat radio built in. I want a way to connect my ipod direct to the cars radio and be able to use the steering wheel controls if possible. Has anyone tried or know if using the music link with an 04 accord will work? thanks
    Hi,
    I am planning to buy USA Spec online for my new 07 Accord EXL and would like to go to a professional place for installation.
    Apart from Circuit City, Best Buy & Fry's can anyone post other reputed dealers who can do installation.

thanks.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    I used a local custom stereo shop. Most areas have one. I wouldn't let any of the chain places near my car!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Exactly, No chain stores! I used my local audio shop, and they actually worked on price too, and did a great job. If you want some amazing speakers, use Memphis audio!
    ok i will do that. Only thing bothering me is whether the shop I am going to has enought experience on installing these adapters.. I will post back with my experience once I do it.

thanks.
  • gforce23gforce23 Member Posts: 12
    The USA Spec adapter cost me 152 (incl. installation). However, I guess I could've done it myself.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Okay, maybe not so neat... but I did learn something new the other day about the radio if you have the navigation system. If the radio is off, you can turn it on by hitting the "Audio" button instead of the radio on/off switch. Caught me by surprise. :)
  • accord07coupeaccord07coupe Member Posts: 14
    So I just bought a 2007 Accord SE V6 with the in-dash 6 cd changer and been looking around for weeks for an alternative. I want to install an after market deck, possibly a gps but the way the factory is installed I will need to take out the factory mounting kit and buy/install an aftermarket mounting kit or install the stereo on the bottom taking out the cubby storage space.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this yet and if you have any pictures, and what you guys recommend I do.
    Well even if you do get one that fit, which you can buy an adapter for a deck cd player. Also you might consider keeping your factory unit since it does have your heating and air controls in it. You can install your new GPS or which ever unit in the space below that would normally hold cds. People have done that and it looks very nice. That way you keep everything looking factory and classy. Its not going to look so good without the factory unit. If you go to a professional audio center, they could install it for you. It will be very classy and upscale with a unit below it. Also it should be quite easy to install too. Run the audio wires to the new unit, you also might be able to run your audio out from the 6disc to your new unit. Seriously though, try this, and your car will look factory and seemless, and still have what you want. Good Luck,
    let me know if you want any more info!

If you look on ebay for the 03-07, there is a black coupe that had had this installation done.
    Type in "Year" accord
  • jeffa2jeffa2 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 Honda Accord EX-L with a factory 6 disc in-dash CD changer and no navigation system and this item (see web link below) works great. I did have to buy a 3.5mm stereo plug to dual RCA connectors as well since the unit doesn't come with this cable. The connectors on the back of the factory radio have minimal clearance but with patience you can manipulate the connectors with success.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonauxdmxv2.html

This unit doesn't enable you to use your steering wheel controls or radio controls to control an IPod though. It only allows you to have an auxiliary audio input. No song name or artist is displayed on the factory radio. When the auxiliary audio input is selected on your factory radio, the only thing displayed on the factory radio is "CDC - " which I'm thinking means CD Changer, but I'm not sure. I change songs or albums with my IPod's controls. I do have to up the volume from the IPod to get proper sound through the factory radio.

I got the installation instructions from this website below and they were quite helpful. Total disassembly/reassembly and installation time was about two hours.

http://www.beaufordbuddy.com/ipod_install_1.htm
  • jessicarabbit2jessicarabbit2 Member Posts: 2
    My cd player will not play new cd's that I have downloaded. This has not been a problem in the past. How do I fix this? The dealership says they have no idea what I am talking about. :cry:
    A few questions:
    1. These are true audio files not MP3 or WMA or something right?
    2. Will it still play the old ones?
    3. Did you change the brand of CD-R you were using?
    PEO has to do with a disk read error. Supposedly it has something to do with the laser being able to focus on the disk. I have found that some CD-Rs work and some don't, and the ones burned on my new laptop work better than the ones on the old desktop.
    I would try a different brand/style of CD< or try to use the same one you have in the past.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    And when you burn CD's or DVD's, burn at the absolutely slowest speed possible. You'll have less error rates.
  • jessicarabbit2jessicarabbit2 Member Posts: 2
    They are MP3 and WMA files (or something)...how do I download true audio files then? The brand of CD is the same..
    They are MP3 and WMA files (or something)...how do I download true audio files then? The brand of CD is the same..

The CD player has to have the encoder to play MP3 and WMA files. Itunes gives you the option of burning true audio CDs when you create CDs, then the head unit just plays it like any other.
    Or you could drop $100 and get a new head unit that plays MP3 encoded CDs.
    When you burn the CD, you tell the software the format of how you want it burned. There needs to be an option in your software for audio CD, if your car stereo is older and can't handle the MP3 files.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    :cry:

Older?

Evan most 2007 Accords don't play mp3 files.
    Even most 2007 Accords don't play mp3 files.

Nor do they have RDS even though they have that big display, or CD text capability, or an input for an axillary source, or provisions to integrate an iPod.

At least they decided to integrate the climate controls and fascia with the head unit so it is very costly to replace with something that actually offers the capabilities of its contemporary peers. I guess thats what happens when you get one at the end of the model run.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Ysa - it would be nice if the Accord could at least keep up with a Chevy Cavalier in the audio department. ;)

At least the 08 is much improved.
    Several of the major new 2008 features can be installed aftermarket on 2007s other than VSA on a 4 cylinder.

You can get a 2007 V6 SE or LX with VSA for the less than the price of a 2008 4 cylinder and then get a USASpec Aux/iPod adapter.
    Even the automatic door locks http://www.kptechnologies.com/ can be installed aftermarket and bluetooth is available by several different methods.
    I actually prefer a few things on the 2007s such as electroluminescent gauges.
    I am planning on going the USASpec iPod adapter route myself. What that basically does is make the head unit think you are controlling a CD changer which limits the access to playlists and tracks (that said, perhaps one shouldn't be scrolling through 4000 songs while driving). I would say that is a partial integration, but at least it charges the iPod and provides reasonable sound quality.
    I would also like to get a bluetooth solution but I haven't found one as well integrated as I would like. I have seen aftermarket versions integrated into the rear-view mirror and I think that is a possibility.
    A 2008 is no better for this since it only comes with an aux input. You still have to install another adapter if you want to control an iPod.

There are several methods to install bluetooth. There are some that can be wired directly into the stereo and there are some very simple ones that run on batteries and clip to the sunvisor.
    There is another that permanently installs overhead into the sunglass holder.
    One nice way to handle bluetooth is buy a portable nav system with integrated bluetooth (such as a Garmin Nuvi 660 or a C550)and plug that into the USASpec adapter to pipe it through the stereo. You can play MP3s, hear the navigation and place calls through the portable nav. The mp3s are automatically paused for phone calls.
    If you have certain phones (such as a RAZR) you get extra features such as SMS text messaging played through the GPS as well as voice dialing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_SF28uN7S8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuEBnhw_LHs
  • suzer2suzer2 Member Posts: 1
    i also have a 2000 honda accord and the cd player reads PEO every time i put a cd in it what do i do :mad:
    Is this a CD that somebody burned, or an original CD?
  • armitagemikearmitagemike Member Posts: 23
    I have searched the WEB for IPOD integration for a 2007 Honda Accord 4 cyl coupe, and Crutchfield says that there is an USA SPEC adapter for this model. Some of these posts suggest that this is NOT compatible. Please advise. Does anyone have experience with this with a 2007 4cyl coupe?

Also, to make this just like the 2008, can't we just add an AUX input or use the XM jack with an aftermarket "female" attachment?

Thanks and advise.
  • osikaosika Member Posts: 5
    I have the USA spec ipod adapter installed in my 2007 accord coupe v6. So yes, it does work and seems at this time to be the best solution.
  • slharderslharder Member Posts: 1
    www.diceelectronics.com has an Ipod adapter that works well in my 2007 Accord - steering wheel controls work, etc.

You do give up XMSat as it uses same input.
  • ld4ld4 Member Posts: 1
    For a 2007 EXL w/ Nav & XM: I can change radio channels to from one preset station to another via my steering wheel controls, but if I want to just browse thru multiple radio stations... say from channel 2 to channel 54 on XM for example... I have to do that with the radio dial itself... I can't do it from the steering wheel controls....

Is there any way to program the radio so I can browse up and down the dial (all stations, not just presets) from the steering wheel controls? Thanks!
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I find it is one of the biggest weaknesses of the audio system. Besides, if you are on anything but a very smooth road at freeway speeds, it is tough to tune that dial on the dash to move one station at a time for XM. The search or scan function is about the only easy/safe way to listen to all the stations in order.... at least that I've found. :sick:
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    I'd like to upgrade as well (just purchased 07 SE V6). Can you provide the stock numbers on the Memphis speakers? What I'd really like to do is have them installed along with the USA Spec & get it done in one shot. I guessing best way would be to purchase the speakers from Memphis, obtain the Spec, take everything to a good audio shop and have it all installed.
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    Guess folks don't frequent this forum very often.
    Anyway, I went ahead and found an audio-shop & had the Memphis speakers installed. They didn't install the USA Spec but used another brand = Peripheral. Seems to work fine, though everything must be operated from the Ipod. Steering wheel controls (except volume) are useless. I guess having a large number of play-lists is essential.
    Speakers (M-Class) sound pretty good, though eventually I can see getting an amp added. Though it's a 120 watt system, the sound guy told me realistically the stock radio is only pushing about 12-15 watts per speaker in normal use. 120 watts is peak power.
    BTW, in order to install the front speakers, the factory speakers had to be destroyed (07 model). Honda designed the housing unit as an integrated system, so in order to place the new speakers in the housing, the factory ones had to be cut out thereby destroying them. The rear 6x9's were able to be salvaged.
    I was told installing the amp would run another $250.