Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SUV gas mileage - Feel free to participate

Comments

• jws48jws48 Member Posts: 8
    3.0 automatic, AWD - last two fill ups were at 344.4 miles, took 14.02 gallons = 24.55 MPG, 361 miles, took 15.28 gallons = 23.6 MPG. Both about 80 percent highway, with air, going 70 where posted to do so and closer to 60 where posted for 55. Now has 2,200 total miles - and the MPG is much better than expected.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's great for the V6. Edmunds long-term Tribute was getting 16 mpg at one point.

-juice
  • j2thomasj2thomas Member Posts: 25
    We've had the car for 4 months, 7000 miles, always use regular gas, running synthetic motor oil and 36 - 37psi in the tires.

Worst tank - 18.8mpg, mix of city and highway, 5 passengers and lots of AC.

Best tank - 23.9mpg, pure highway, 3 passengers, no AC.
  • turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    31 mpg hi-way Canadian = 25 mpg US at 70 mph. Best fuel consumption of any SUV I ever owned.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I get about 12 when pulling my 5000# boat/trailer, so I really can't complain.
    The in-line 6 has plenty of power to get the job done, even in hilly conditions.
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    In April of this year I changed all the fluids in my 2001 LE AWD 4x4 Automatic to Royal Purple synthetic fluids. Before changing to full synthetics my all around mileage was 16 MPG, now after the change it is 18 MPG. I was very pleased to say the least because I wasn't counting on that big of an increase in MPG. I was just hoping for smoother and cooler engine and transmission performance but I am glad to see an improvement in MPG also. Has any one else experienced this when changing over to full synthetics.

Thanks for any replies,
    Dan
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    That looks good to me. I have a 1999 CK1500 4X4. It has just over 45K miles. I check it each time I fill it, which is only every couple months. It never gets less than 12.9 and usually 14.1 mpg. That is when it is just used for around town errands 2-5 mile trips. When we take trips it gets 17 to as high as 19.2 mpg. I had a 1994 Toyota 4 cylinder PU with manual transmission that never got over 19 mpg. I was not pleased with that kind of mileage out of a tiny little truck. If it got 45 or 50 mpg I would have suffered the discomfort of driving it. I won't catch up to your mileage until the year 2021 at the rate I put miles on my Suburban.
  • hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    I have a brand new 2004 Honda CR-V. With my first two tanks of gas, one was mostly city driving with some expressway driving to and from work, but not much. The second tank was all highway for a 300 mile (roundtrip) road trip.

1st tank (city) = 22.63 mpg
    2nd tank (highway) = 26.59 mpg

I currently have 554 miles on the car, so considering I'm getting the sticker amounts already (Honda says 22/26!), I am actually really happy.
  • hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    I don't know if everybody already knows about this, but there is a cool "fuel logbook" you can use on gasbuddy.com that will keep track of your miles per gallon if you enter all of the information. I know some people already do this by using excel spreadsheets and things, but this is really easy and it's free. Just an FYI.
    Just got back from a trip to the central cost, round trip about 360 miles averaged 22MPG, average speed 65MPH, high speed 85MPH and low speed 50MPH. MY best gas mileage improvement sense changing to full synthetics. Also an improvement in performance, the engine runs much stronger and the transmission much smoother I would think there is a friction reduction in the transfer case as well as the front and rear differentials. All combined there is an all around improvement in gas mileage and drive train performance. I really like this 2001 Pathfinder a great SUV. I almost forgot to mention I also have a K/N filter, that change has made a difference too.
  • kenstar23kenstar23 Member Posts: 1
    In regard to Ford Escape fuel mileage - we have a 2005 Escape Limited, and have been pleasantly surprised by the mileage we've been getting. We've averaged about 18-19 in city driving and 22-24 on the road. If I keep the speed at 60-65 MPH, it has been getting 24 mpg. At 70-75 MPH about 22 mpg. The mileage is calculated using miles driven divided by fuel used not by the onboard computer which can be off by 1.0-1.5 mpg.

It'a comfortable car to drive, has a lot of extras (back up sensors, moon roof, 6 CD changer, etc.)for $6000-7000 less than a Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Murano, etc.

We're happy so far.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Well, my particular CR-V appears to be very sensitive to A/C and in town. If I do any significant highway mileage on a tank (about 10% minimum highway), I will get almost 22 MPG. On the highway, I get between 25 - 26. I am finding that the worst mileage is all A/C and all in town, about 20 MPG.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Haven't calculated recently but the best I got with one passenger and myself was nearly 19 MPG almost all highway. about 15.5 to 16.5 MPG more city less highway.
  • enzo1enzo1 Member Posts: 1
    Has Yakima Roof Rack with 66" bars on the factory rack.

Worst: Going through Kansas with 5 kayaks on top and loaded inside: 11.8mpg.

Best: Driving on I-40 in North Carolina, going 60 to 65 with two kayaks on top, 20.4mpg.
  • norrmanndonorrmanndo Member Posts: 81
    I generally get 18 mpg in my Mazda Tribute V6 (rated 18/23) with 75% City driving. Since I have a 3 person car pool we get 18 X 3 = 54 mpg per person. Which isn't bad. A car pool makes a big difference if you're concerned about mpg.
  • turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    I am getting about 30-31 mpg Canadian at 110 kmh. That works out to 24.8 US mpg at 70 mph. Love that 250 hp Honda V6!!!!!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Car pooling saves everyone. It is a big plus for the environment. I wish there was some way to reward people that car pool more than just using the carpool lane. Hopefully the saving on vehicles and fuel will encourage more people to try it.
  • ramarquardt2ramarquardt2 Member Posts: 15
    Owned for 14 months with a total of 10k miles.
    One oil change at 5500 miles (so far) at which synthetic MB1 was used. Vehicle located in Wisconsin.

* Cummulative lifetime avg approx. 24 mpg.
    * If cruise set to 74mph for highway trip, have consistently gotten 26-1/2mpg (during summer).
    * If speed maintained between 60-65 mph, have gotten 29-1/2 mpg (during summer).
    * Mileage drops to around 24 mpg with mixture of highway / city driving.
    * Winter takes a toll with mileage dropping to low 20's mpg.
    * In SE Wisc, we use reformulated gas.

After 4500 miles on current oil change, oil is still at FULL mark; no oil used!! or added!! amazing! this is my first honda.
    Just thought I would let everyone know that sense my last post that my around town gas mileage has improved to 20MPG, hoping that the HWY mileage will also improve to 24 0r 25 MPG, using 91 oct. 2001LE 4x4 Auto AWD, full synthetics.
  • pato01pato01 Member Posts: 6
    I'm considering buying the 2005 Escape XLT with 3.0L 6cyl engine and automatic transmission, but am confused by contradictory info on fuel efficiency and type. Re: MPG, the dealer sticker and the Ford website's comparison with other brands & models show 18 city / 22 highway, but the Ford site's Escape-specific summary shows 20 city / 25 hwy. Re: fuel type, the dealer says use premium or mid-grade but the Ford site's Escepe summary cites regular unleaded. For both MPG and fuel type, the Escape-specific summary is more favorable.

Which info source is more reliable and why? What is your own experience with gas mileage and fuel type needed?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    We had an '02 Escape XLT V6 and averaged about 20 mpg for mostly city, but some highway, driving. We also consistently saw nearly 25 mpg on the highway during long vacation trips.

Our current '05 Limited V6 seems to be on the same track. We're currently averaging about 16 mpg but it is increasing with each tank just as the '02 did. By the time we have 3000-5000 miles on the motor we should be up to where we were with the '02. We currently have 1500 miles on it.

I think the 20/25 figure you saw was for the I4 motor. The V6 is rated at 18/23 IIRC and both motors run on regular unleaded (87 octane). You DO NOT have to run mid or premium grade in the Escape's V6.

Hope that helps.
    > I think the 20/25 figure you saw was for the I4 motor.

Baggs:
    The Ford site shows the 20/25 mpg figure in the column for the XLT with 3.0L engine, but they show the same mpg figure in the column for the XLS with 2.3L engine. They may have mis-entered the mpg info. But at the same time, it's strange that their car stickers at the dealer show 18/22mpg for BOTH the 2.3L XLS and 3.0L XLT. Seems like the 2.3L should be more fuel-efficient unless it has to work too hard to move the vehicle. (The 2.3L definitely is underpowered for the Colorado mountains.) I don't get it.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I can't explain the sticker discrepancy but their site has been known to show mis-information before. What does Edmunds say? They usually have it right.
    Edmunds shows 19/22 for the 2.3L and 18/22 for the 3.0L -- essentially equivalent between engines.
    I bet the V6 is geared taller.

-juice
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    our '04 v6 escape has been averaging about 22 mpg. more city would expect less, more highway, expect more. use regular gas. tire pressures can have a big effect on mileage.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    My 2004 CRV - 13,400 miles since Jan..lots of highway .. colder months I've seem to get about 22 - 23 mpg.. when it's hot I get about 20 mpg.. best so far was going to Atlantic City..stop and go..no a/c and returning with no traffic..no a/c - 25 mpg. I dont expect to see anything above 23 on normal highway driving though..
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Had a '98 2wd Ford Expedition(bigger engine) that did well to get 12 in town and 16 highway. Decided to be PC and get a 2001 Toyota minivan. Drove it 2 years and averaged 16+ in town and 20+ highway (better than the Ford but nothin' close to the 19/25 promised). Traded that for a 2wd Tahoe with the 5.3 engine. I get mid 15 city and 19+ highway.
       I always check milage dividing miles by fuel purchased. . .drive conservatively in town and too fast on the highway.
  • lets456lets456 Member Posts: 6
    I have the 2002 XLT V6 and get about 14.5-15.5 around town and 18-20.5 on the highway at 75 MPH.
    87 Octane fuel. Around town is not bad compared to my Toyota Avalon that I just sold, but highway sucks. My Avalon got 28-32 MPG on the highway.
    I know they are two different "beasts". Are there any SUV's (Mid size) that gets decent mileage?
    Maybe a 4 cylinder Highlander, though performance is probably only about adequate.

-juice
  • lets456lets456 Member Posts: 6
    This may anwer your question from 3-years ago...I just came across this site. The blend of gasoline will decrease milage. However, when I flew small planes we would have to due fuel economy calulations. In the colder weather you would get better performance as far as more power, shorter take off rolls, etc but the fuel economy was less. However, in the summer you would get less perfomance (power, etc) but with better fuel economy.
  • tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    1978 Chevy Blazer. 400 ci small block,three speed auto, full time FWD NP 203 transfer case. 33 by 12.5 inch tires.......32 gal fuel tank.
    The old girl still gets between 14 and 17 mpg. It all depends on how I drive her and the weather. I limit myself to one tank a month.
    I have had many newer SUV owners cry when I tell them I get the same gas mileage they do.
    I always thought the newer ones should do lots better with gas. Most modern cars sure do a better job than the old ones did.
    I'm sure it's the extra weight from the added features and increased size. Out of curiosity, can you compare the curb weight of your truck to that for a new TrailBlazer? I bet it's a lot lighter.

-juice
  • juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    1st tank: 19.1 (one adult and one toddler, air conditioner on about 50% of the time. mostly on 35 to 40 mile/hour street road, 30% highway. Not in the city center of 25 mile/hour road)

2nd tank: 20.38 (one adult and one toddler, no air conditioner on. mostly on 35 to 40 mile/hour street road, no highway)

3 tank: 26.01 (two adult and one toddler, no air conditioner on. all highway).

The “spec” is 22 for city and 26 for highway. Disappointed about the city mileage. The highway mileage quite matches the “spec”, that I am quite happy with. The MPG seems very sensitive to air conditioner on or off. Not sure whether the low city MPG will be improved. Now my car has 599 miless on its meter.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    1999 suburban with 15600 miles on new engine and K/N, whipple supercharger, about 402 horsepower...... 14 mpg around town, 17 mpg all freeway at average 75 mpg

cayenne turbo....14 mpg around town, 18 mpg freeway at 70 mph

acura TL sedan...new, 1600 miles, 19 mpg around town, 25 mpg freeway.

I'm surprised the small sedan got not so good mpg....maybe because its still new ? but it already past the breakin period....
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Lemme get this straight... You drive your Suburban faster than your Cayenne? =)
    LOL...OK, I do need to explain. I do use the suburban for long road trips mostly, like on I-5 down to LA, where the average speeds are in the 80 mph range...so it hovers near 75 mph mostly.

the cayenne is mostly for shorter trips, though I have taken it on a 3 hr and 6 hr trips (one each, one way). so mostly it stays at a lower average speed....closer to 70mph.

I have taken it real fast for a short stretch when there were no cars around for miles....but that's only once....

I just hope I can reach the EPA estimated 29 mpg on the TL.... so far I'm at 24mpg....and only going at most 65 to 70 mph...since we use it as a commute/everyday car.
    '98 Forester L, last few tanks:

27.9 mpg - road trip to beach
    24.7 around town
    28.5 to beach again
    21.9 around town, with some towing mixed in
    27.0 to the beach once again

Moral of the story is take a lot of vacations at the beach!

Lifetime average has actually crept up lately, above 25mpg.

Also, I'm using the A/C all the time, yet it hardly affects my mileage at all.

-juice
    Moral of the story is take a lot of vacations at the beach!

LOL....that is a great conclusion !
  • hankww2hankww2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi- I now have 1087 mile on my 2005 Escape Limited, bought May 26, 2004. I saw the gas average increased to 10.9mpg. My 2001 Explorer Sport 2door had 13,000 miles when I traded it for the Escape and I got 10mpg to 12mpg. This is all local driving in Brooklyn, NY. If I use cruise control on I95 at 65 to 75 mph, I'd get 20mpg to 23. Forget about trying to get the mileage that the sticker states. The local traffic, construction, lights, accidents, etc. all contribute to lower gas mileage. I now pay $1.95 per gallon for 87oct. I don't drive too much, so I fill up half a tank once a week. I average about 300 miles a month and get a reduction on my auto insurance for low mileage. The tank in the Escape is very small. I think it holds 14 gallons.
         Darryl Hannah uses oil from fried foods to drive her car. She gets it free. I saw her on T.V. last night. Her house in Montana is solar energy. She said any diesel engine can accomodate that type of oil. It's not my style.
    She's wrong. You need to adapt your engine to run on recycled cooking oil.

If you buy commercial bio-diesel your engine will run off the stuff as-is, but typically that stuff costs more than diesel does.

So either way it ain't free. Pay to adapt the engine, or pay more for the fuel.

-juice
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    2004 Ford Expedition NBX, 5.4L--16.2 mpg mostly suburban and interstate commuting, few traffic lights, easy on pedal. 18-18.5 highway at 65-70 mph. 12.5-13 mpg towing bassboat. 6000 miles on odometer.

2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 V-8, 4wd, 15-15.5 mpg mostly suburban commuting. Much lower in city stop and go. 19.5-20.5 highway at 65 mph. 18,000 miles. 1 mpg worse overall when vehicle was newer.
  • pistolpoppistolpop Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone put a K&N air filter and has that helped at all with gas mileage as it claims?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • marspecmarspec Member Posts: 6
    2002 Envoy 4X4 with 4.10 rear
    44,200 miles average 18.9mpg with about 75% highway, 25% city.

High 24.4mpg low 14.9mpg
  • marilynmarilyn Member Posts: 1
    Hubby and I are trying to decide which under $30k SUV to buy our son who will be graduating from college in May. Currently, he's driving a 2000 Ford Focus ZTS that we bought him for his 17th birthday. He is an excellent driver/student; so much so, our auto insurance DROPPED by $1,200 this past year! We're thinking about this as a Christmas gift.

We are most interested in safety. I've been looking at the Ford Escape but my husband's been looking at the Land Rover Freelander. My insurance co.'s web site lists the Escape's safety rating as: (a) Injury:48 (b) Collission:53 and (c) Theft:35. With an average score of 45, the Escape is thus 55% better than average (their site says "substantially better than average" on all three points). Meanwhile, I can't find anything anywhere with any ratings for the Freelander (edmunds.com doesn't seem to care for it much, especially rollover).

Can you recommend maybe 3 SUV's in the above price range that I should take a look at? It would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
    Ford Escape is nicely done, and saves a little more gas, and will be a good conversation starter... :)

one question, though...do you think that buying a SUV will get you more safety ? In your opinion, of course... :)
  • davidkeith37davidkeith37 Member Posts: 30
    I wanted to add my wit and wisdom to this discussion but need the cafe figures for cars, trucks and SUVs that are accepted by one and all. Can someone provide the location of this information.
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    I wish my parents bought me a car or more pertinent, an SUV when I graduated college. They did however, lend me the money to buy a battery after graduation. And yes, I did have to pay them back.

Perhaps Marilyn would buy me a new SUV if I go back for my MBA. It would be greatly appreciated and I would consider changing my last name to Mr. Marilyn.

Two Year
    Just a heads up, but the Escape tipped up in the new rollever test.

I will suggest what I call the Usual Suspects, they are the RAV4, CR-V, and Forester. All 3 are reliable and have great residual values, and are almost universally highly rated by the media.

CAFE standards were 20.7 for trucks and 27.5 for cars last time I checked. But I think the truck CAFE is creeping up already, it may be a little higher now.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.