Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Audio Questions

Comments

• tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I'm glad I saw your post. I have a non-ipod Mp3 player. This is definitely the cheapest way to go, especially that I don't care about the quality of sound that much. Will try and see how well it works.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'm a little hesitant to let someone mess with the stereo in the car. Plus it's a little more money than I'm willing to spend. I'll give the FM transmitter a try first. But thanks.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    The 120 watt system is in the EX-L V6 and the 180 version is just in the 6 speed. Go to the section where you build one and you'll see the specs for that trim line.
    Well, I went out and got a cheap Dynex FM transmitter for $40. It works adequately, although not great. Don't know if the more expensive Monster Cable brand would work any better, but for now I'm reasonably happy. Took some searching to find a frequency that worked.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    they do the job, but a plug-in solution gives much better sound quality.

It is less of an issue if you live in the boonies. Where I am (NE corridor, so close to Philadelphia, and often near NYC and central Jersey) it is almost impossible to find a clear FM station to use (at least from the 10 choices my modulator gave me). I think there are more expensive ones that let you pick any station, but if you are spending that much, might as well go the aux input route.

ALso, some people report interferance from the power cord if you get a charger that plugs into the power outlet.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    I have an 06 with no navi and my radio reception sucks as well. Honda screwed something up.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    From the sounds of it, the Musiclink is junk, so what are the best options for integrating the iPod to an Accord w/navi system?
    The USA spec product sounds good, but to what extent do you control the iPod functions? does the navi screen display functions or is it just a few of the buttons that control the iPod?
    Are there any other products out there?...All I want is a direct connection to the pre-existing Aux input on the back of the factory radio with some stereo control functionality.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I believe you can skip tracks forward and back using the steering wheel controls and the head unit with the USA Spec product.
    I don't think it displays song titles on the nav screen.
    You shouldn't be looking at the screen reading song titles while driving anyway. It's your music, you should know what it is and you can look at it later. Set up playlists before you start driving or at home from the computer and then just skip tracks and playlists when driving. You or the passenger can also just control the iPod directly.
    More info is at their website.
    Hmm, I do get a little bit static noise, maybe it's from the power cord. I live in a big metro area in the northwest. For the most part the reception is ok, definitely usable. For the money I spent on it ($40) I'm satisfied. One advantege of the FW receivor is that it's mobile and can be taken to our other car.
  • katikatikatikati Member Posts: 2
    I bought the 2006 accord coupe lx...... I want to add an Aux input... how do I do this? Where can I get it done? I don't want to buy an FM transmit. but want an Aux input for my Ipod, Any suggestions?
    I recommend the USA Spec ipod gizmo. It hardwires through the aux input, and plugs into the docking port. Also has a set of RCA input jacks so you can plug in another non-ipod device (like an XM roady) if you want to.

• usera99usera99 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone installed the honda mp3 player on the accord ? It shows up as an electronics accessory that can be installed. Since mp3 player is important for me, before buying a honda and getting it installed I wanted to check if anyone has tried it and if so any issues with it.
    It's a silly option to get. They really should have made the factory CD player play mp3s. It's dumb to get a second CD player just to play MP3 CDs.
    Just get an aftermarket aux jack and plug in a portable mp3 player.
  • 72nina72nina Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 accord special edition, my radio reads err-3, have no idea what that means or what to do....any help?

thank you
  • usera99usera99 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for clarifying !. I was under the impression that the mp3 player replaces the cd player . It is indeed silly to have a cd player and an mp3 player which would take up additional space. No wonder, I haven't read a single post in this forum about that option.!
    So, once you wire it, were does the jack and iPod dock go so there are not random ugly wires and cables hanging out looking ugly?
    They poked a hole in the back of the center stack cubby hole (the Odyssey has about 3, one with a little flip down door that is perfect). The box piece (maybe the size of a pack of cigarettes) is in the cubby. The ipod connector is in there too, and I just stick the ipod in there when I have it in the car.

For the Accord, I would just have it tucked into the corner of the storage cubby below the radio. The only wire you will see is the the one that plugs into the ipod (and connects to the box), which you can roll up if you don't plan to pull the ipod out much.

The rca jacks are on the front of the little box unit, but I don't have anything plugged into them.

If you want to put the ipod elsewhere, you can have the ipod connector wire fished to the center console, cup holder, or through the glove box if yo have one of those holders that clips to the vent or sticks to the dash.

• dongkyudongkyu Member Posts: 1
    Hi!!. I just changed my battery. But I do not have a password code. My car is 2002 accord se. I got used one 2004.
    So, How to get a password? thank you..
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    ...Does anyone have any special discount codes or am I stuck with the $12.95/mo. price?

Thanks,
    Kelly
  • detlev_73detlev_73 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a few days away from trading in my VW Jetta 1.8, for an Accord EX, and was hoping to find some orientation or advice in this forum.

I really want XM radio in my new Accord EX. I've read over the specs on the EX and have determined that the EX is "XM ready". I've also visited the XM website, and have from what I've read and what can understand "XM ready" means that there is a 'headunit' in behind the normal AM/FM/CD radio, and that an antena is the only thing that needs to be added. The Honda website says that XM is a $700 add-on, but I'm sure that a solution exists at Best Buy or Circuit City, without paying Honda premium, or getting an XM Roady that won't look improvised. The overall look I'm going for is "completely integrated".
  • roxonroxon Member Posts: 16
    usually "ready" just means you have to pay the subscription fees. that is how it worked with my new Pilot.
    No, XM Ready means the unit is compatible with an XM add-on module that will plug into the back of the stereo.
    I think only the Honda Accord EXV6 and EX-L 4 cylinder have the XM unit factory installed.
    If the XM hardware is already installed, you will also see the XM antenna. If you don't see any XM antenna on the car, that means the hardware is not there and you need to pay to get in installed.
    The code comes on a card when you buy the car. I'm guessing you didn't get it from the previous owner when you bought your used car. I think a trip to the dealer is the only way to fix the problem.
    I've read on the Satellite Radio thread that there are discounts sometimes but I couldn't find any offers when my 3 months were up. If you go to XM's website you'll see that there are discounts if you pay more up front. Per month cost goes down if you pay for a year at a time, for example.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    If you can stand to let the subscription expire and wait a few months, they'll try to get you back by giving a discount. They get better the longer you can hold out. I think the last one I got was for 6 or 7 bucks a month if you do a year.
    Excellent advice. Sure, I can hold out.
    Do they make you pay an activation fee to re-up?
    I just got a postacard with the first offer—$4.95/mo. for three months, then $9.99/mo. thereafter. No reactivation fee is required. Will it get any better or should I go with this deal?
    hard to tell, but you should be able to wait until the last minute and still get that deal, so why commit now?

Mine runs out sometime in Dec. (bought the car 12/20/05, and re-upped for 9 months when the freebie ran out). I should really find out when, and start looking for a deal..

I too am hooked, just don't want to pay a high rate for it!

Is the USA spec kit still the best option for ease of use and functionality for an Accord with Navigation? Is anyone aware of the iPod kit offered through honda being improved, or is it still junk?
    If the USA spec is still, in your opinions, the best option, could someone please give a brief step-by-step explanation of its installation? Basically, I wouldn't want to damage the dash or the stereo, and I don't want any other stereo or Nav functions to be altered by its installation....thanks
    That is the one i got, after shopping around a bunch. Love it. Had a stereo shop install it though. the installer said it waspretty easy...plenty of room behind the dash to fit everything. I still use my ipod to control everything though, cause it is not just music i am listening to, and i need to shuffle around a bunch. but it works great.
    the USA spec in our Odyssey works great. Install is simple, if you don't mind taking apart some of the dash, but I had a stereo shop do it (got new speakers too).

With the Navi, I think you might need a splitter too (or maybe that is just if you have XM). Check Crutchfield, they will tell you which pieces you need.

I also had mine mounted in the cubbyhole in the dash. You can mount it behind the dash (and just run the cables out), but you might have problems if you want to use the RCA plugs (for non-ipod devices). The are also some DIP switches on the back that need to be changed for certain applications. So, much easier to keep out front!

• jimmibondijimmibondi Member Posts: 12
    How much did you pay for the US Spec and the install?
    got it off Ebay for around $120 (i think), install was another $70.
    So the USA spec unit doesn't interfere with any other controls on a navigation equipped accord? Do you just hit the CD/Aux button to bring up your iPod?
    I would probably install it myself when I get it, so do i simply plug the USA spec unit into the stereo and that's all?
    Sorry about all the questions, but I don't want to screw up my factory radio!
    If you use the USASpec adapter with your iPod and the car has navigation, can you still hear the navigation instructions while the iPod plays music and does the iPod audio mute when the navigation gives an instruction?
    I just realized circuit city carries the a USA spec adaptor for only 62.99 online. There are no photos of it, but it's listed as 'USA spec honda-compatible dual auxiliary input' (DFHON)...Does anyone know if this is the same one that crutchfield carries for about $140??
    There are a number of different pieces you can get (Crutchfield has a bunch, and there are other sites that list them). Some are just aux connecters/adapters that accept RCA inputs. The more expensive USA spec piece that I have is designed to run and integrate an ipod (controls though the radio/steering wheel, ipod dock connector for charging/power, etc.)

The simple (but cheaper) cable will get the signal to the radio, probably with signal output through the headphone jack. You will have to control things from the device, and also have a separate power supply

I do know with XM you have to get a splitter of some kind, since the aux port is already used. not sure if the navi requires any special connectors (that is, if it uses the aux input), but I assume you have XM too, so you will need the piece.

It should integrate to the voice commands the same as any other radio source, since that functionality will be in the head unit somehow.

• char23char23 Member Posts: 5
    I believe they the 2007 accord lx (special edition) shares the same speaker configuration as the ex. Does anybody have the dimensions of the speakers, i'm interesting in purchasing some after market speakers? Thanks
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Go to crutchfield.com. They have a pretty extensive database of fits.
  • char23char23 Member Posts: 5
    crutchfield.com didn't have the dimensions for the 07'
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The information is there for the 2007 Accord. It may not list the SE as a model but the specs for speakers are all the same for DX, LX, and EX IIRC.
  • savosavo Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if it is possible to add a subwoofer on a 2006-2007 accord EX. I was wondering if there is any output on the back of the stock radio.

Thanks everyone in advance.
  • loom1967loom1967 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if you can add sat radio to my 2003 nav system. It has an aux button, but I cannot find any info on adding sat (xm or sirrius). Help? I really don't want to install any aftermarket stuff on the dash, also, I've seen an Ipod modual that attaches to the back of several chrystler product that intergrates with the factory navigation... anything for the honda?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    You can add XM sat radio to your car. See the following link:
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/accelect03.html

Not cheap, and it looks like a whole lot of work to install.

Mrbill
  • loom1967loom1967 Member Posts: 8
    Wow, no kidding. Thank you for your help. For that price, I dont want FM modulation - poor sound quaility.

Thanks again.
    That's too much money for satellite radio, but FM modulation (wired to the antenna port) is fine for satellite radio.
    Satellite radio is not CD quality sound anyway, so you would not be losing any noticeable sound quality.
    The real problem is with wireless FM transmitters.
  • jofaxjofax Member Posts: 5
    i'm in the same boat as you-- searching for best way to integrate Ipod with my Accord WITH Navigation without compromisisng the integrity of all the other factory system's functionality. BTW I have an 07' Accord with the 6 disc CD Changer if that makes a difference.

Did you end up installing the USA spec unit, and if so, did it work seamlessly with the original system??

Thnx.
  • jasonmac73jasonmac73 Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to add rear speaker to the rear in my 07 Accord VP. I'm not adding an amp or anything just 6x9's. What should the RMS power be? I figured that it should be around 30 RMS watts. All the speakers I see handle more power than 30 RMS watts.

If I put a speaker in that handles 80 RMS watts, won't the music sound like crud since there is not enough power to push the speaker?

Any ideas and suggestions.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I'm not familiar with the radio in the VP, but the radio will need separate outputs and fader control to run the rear speakers.

One of the Honda parts sites showed genuine Honda rear speakers for around $30. I don't know how loud you like to listen to your music, but the standard 4 speaker Accord stereo does good job (at least I think it does.)

80 watts RMS only specs their max wattage they can handle, but there is no correlation on how well they sound under high or lower power. You need to look at the sensitivity number to see how well the speakers will do at lower power. The higher the sensitivity, the better they will do with a lower wattage amp.

Mrbill