Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona Brakes

124»

Comments

• terryinhawaiiterryinhawaii Member Posts: 5
    thank you for the recommendation re after market brakes. if this problem was so well documented then why wasn't it corrected? what is the problem with correcting/addressing the defect? they are suppose to be the professionals-so the best medicine would be DON'T BUY A KIA! that would kick them where it hurts-and maybe then they would be honest?!
  • azbakersazbakers Member Posts: 6
    I would have to agree with Terry....KIA will not accept responsibility and work on a resolution because it costs $$$$. I have a 2007 and it has this problem....still persists today. Pads are glazed yet again, screaches and howls like someone put their cat in the front end of my car. I have never driven such a piece of ____!!

Now the funny thing I encountered was....I tried with the dealership, told it was my driving habits, District Parts guy supposedly looked at it (their story didn't line up so I think I was lied to), all my fault (or my wife's) and no more goodwill repairs. I file a BBB AUTO LINE complaint and guess who comes calling...KIA Corporate. Lady promised to review the information I sent to her (all my service records) and she would call me within a couple of days. In the meantime, BBB determined the claim was not eligible because the van has 24,500 miles and they handle claims up to 24,000....they would not take into account the dates of service that I had the repeated issue. The response was copied to KIA and of course I have never heard back from the lady in Irvine again....

Long story short....spread the word! The cars look OK, price is OK and included features in the base model are all attractive but the cost of ownership will EAT YOU ALIVE! :mad:
  • katrogkatrog Member Posts: 10
    If you replaced your brakes and are no longer having problems, please let me know what the brand was and who did them.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Most often what will warp a rotor is heat. Check out this link on E-bay or just search on E-bay for: 2007 sedona brakes or whatever year you have. They are well worth the investment especially in constant stop-and-go or mountain roads. Cross-drilled and slotted rotors with nice pads are the way to go. They are fantastic on my van especially in the tropical climate that I live in and often on long mountain descents.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KIA-SEDONA-06-07-08-BRAKE-ROTORS-PADS-F_W0QQitemZ- - 330371986878QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4cebb- - 475be
  • armyvetarmyvet Member Posts: 11
    I've got the drilled rotors and premium brake pads from R1Concepts. They have a very good customer service and I've got them shipped to my door in prefect condition. I called them and I've got a discount over the phone, I've got all under $500 with shipping included. It was the best investment i could do for my peace of mind. I know is not cheap but.....I saved up and did it.
    I went to my dealership and installed them for $200, I have the luck to have excellent customer service at my Kia dealership. I haven't had any squealing since last year (I think) since I installed them and no other problems. I live in Tyler where we have small hills, and I drive mostly in the city. Not even when is humid outside I don't have any problem. I have to check how many miles i have since I changed them. I have a 2007 model. :) I am very happy otherwise with my car, I am sorry that other people have these issues. Is not a bad car. Every other car and van on the market would have issues. there is no perfection. Try looking at other vans problems and you will see each one has its' own quirk.
    Good luck!
    armyvet - what did you do to fix your brakes?
    Armyvet just did exactly what I posted and recommended and have been recommending for years now.

The biggest enemy of brakes is heat. So reduce the heat save the pad and the rotor. R1concepts is a good company, the one I originally purchased my rotors and pads from. You can also go on e-bay and just look a the packages other companies offer, which are essentially the same thing.

You want cross-drilled / slotted rotors and performance pads on all four wheels. The parts should run you between four to five hundred shipped to your door. Then go to pepboys or your dealer / personal mechanic and have them installed for about one hundred and fifty bucks. Pads life will vary because of mostly driving habits, conditions, and weight of your van.

On my 2006 my front pads lasted 14k because I live in Puerto Rico. Hot all the time and constant city driving. My new setup has 16k miles on them and I'm not even halfway through my front pads yet. This means my current setup is lasting over twice as long as the factory pads / rotors.

This should help all you pre 2006 Sedona owners particular because of your extra weight.

2006+
    http://www.r1concepts.com/KIA/SEDONA/2006/All/AllCategory/SearchResultsPage.htm

2005 and under:
    http://www.r1concepts.com/KIA/SEDONA/2005/All/AllCategory/SearchResultsPage.htm
  • fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
    I had a shimy when braking from new on my 06 sedona. So with 40,000 miles and with winter around the corner, so I figured I'd get new slotted and cross drilled rotors and pads. Well! what a difference. Do it you won't be sorry. Off hand I don't remember the company that I ordered from but I paid $251 with free shipping. I don't feel comfortable doing brakes so I had my regular mechanic do it for 169. for a total of $420.
    BOTTOM LINE?! KIA should correct the problem! we the buyers/consumers should not be responsible for their faulty workmanship/details. i went to NAPA and bought new brakes-and so far so good. but-that is not the point! i'd never buy another kia again-and i'll tell everyone i know about the problem. everyone should know! KIA is NOT HONEST! so sad... :(
  • rc7965rc7965 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Kia Sedona. Has anyoine had intermittent hard brake pedal? When the pedal gets hard and you brake, the front end feels like the discs are warped. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
  • rc7965rc7965 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Kia Sedona. It is very random, but at times my brake pedal gets hard and when braking, the rotors feel like they are warped. if the discs are warped, it would happen all of the time. the front end only behaves this way when the brake pedal gets hard. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Maybe you have air in your brake system. Probably not the rotors as it would be constant. Get it checked as you don't want to have any brake failures.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I don't think it's air in the brake line. The peddle would have a soft spongy feel if air was in the line.
    Good point. Maybe your conditions you are driving in? Snow by chance? Non-the-less it is worth having a professional check it out.
  • bunkwilsonbunkwilson Member Posts: 1
    I have had brake problems since 2007 and nothing seems to help. I had drums turned several times and finally replaced and the pads changed 4 or 5 times. The van still chatters when you apply the brakes and I am afraid for my wife to drive it. No one seems to know what to do to fix it.
  • medicmejiamedicmejia Member Posts: 2
    What are the specific problems? I have been on the road of discovery with my Sedona. My wife I thoufght was to blame, I was wrong. The rear brakes has adjustment components that don't work well, they cause more use in the front brakes and a peddle that drops to the floor. We were averaging 15k to 25k per set of brakes.
  • medicmejiamedicmejia Member Posts: 2
    My brake adjuster (the part that slides into the groves) has broke three times on the left rear drum. I am fed up, when this happens the adjustment gets screwed up and the brake peddle has to be pumped to get the brakes to work. Oh, it's a 2003 Sedona. Other than that the cars has been pretty good. 122k miles and still going strong. AC pump wnet out last year.
    Kia says there is not a problem. If you will call them @ 800-333-4542, they will tell you about how many cars they have on the road with no problems they are aware of. I've put up with brake problems for 5 years on my 2004 KIA Sedona and finally a dealer told me the problem can't be fixed. I gave up and went to independent brake shops to have brake shoe linings cleaned and adjusted, rotors turned, brakepads replaced, brakes cleaned and adjusted, pivot joints & backing plate lubed, rear shoes adjusted and rear drums replaced ,but the brakes still squeel and grind. Kia will tell you to call them, & tell them which dealer you will take the car to and they will work with them BUT depending on what you have tried to have the fixed outside of a dealership, they, of course, cannot be responsible for. I haven't taken this last step yet but I'm not hopeful. Good luck to you!
    Did you ever find any class action suit info?
    Since there are so many people that have experienced brake problems with the Kias and Kia is in denial-isn't there a federal agency that 'checks up' on these automobile companies that are allowed to sell here in the USA? and protect us being being taken...I will never refer anyone to Kia~their service & warranties STINKS!
  • baz63baz63 Member Posts: 4
    I think the DOT is much too busy beating up on Toyota. With all the Kia jokes circulating out there who'd take our plight seriously? :confuse:

We also went with aftermarket drilled & slotted rotors on our '06 to avoid a potential accident. Hit one puddle and the OEM's warped big time. All Kia gave us was denial. :P
    Go to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform site and report them
    edited February 2010
    Kia warranties are much better then 90% of the manufacturers out there. The fact that the 05 and under have undersized brakes for the weight of the van, which leads to the brakes wearing down faster then usual is unfortunate. No manufacturer covers brake pads and rotors, period. It just does not happen.

If you want to know about real problems go over to the Honda Odyssey page and look at the amount of transmission failures where customers are stuck with as high as $3,500.00 + bill.

This should put into perspective the amount you pay for pads and having your rotors turned compared to replacing the transmission. This is not including the $5,000.00 to $12,000.00 you saved (or should have saved) over purchasing the Sienna or Odyssey.

Both the Sienna and the Odyssey have there fair share of problems but unfortunately people always think the grass is greener on the other side of the hill.

The Kia Sedona is far from being perfect but the redesign in 2006 made major improvements although, they still have their quirks just like all the manufacturers.

It is difficult for people to get over a bad experience, probably most never will. If you look at the Honda problems there are countless people saying they will never buy another Honda but we all know, without being delusional, they do make some great products. I do hope this helps brings a little bit of the reality to the real market.

Otherwise, one might be like the person who purchased an $27,000.00 Prius thinking he / she is getting gas mileage then the person who purchased a $14,000.00 Elantra. Delusional.
  • jimjimjjimjimj Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2010
    Unfortunately, its not just the 05 and under; the new models have the same rotors I believe. Have had to shave our 06's rotors down twice and then replaced onced despite having less than 30,000 miles on it.

Before you say its our driving habits, we also have a station wagon and SUV that are 5 and 11 years old each without requiring rotor work. Read the posts, lots of owners of the new Sedona are having rotor issues; the geniuses at Kia decided to continue to cheap out on the rotors of the redesign despite problems with the older model.
    edited February 2010
    I am averaging about 18K on pads on my 06 and I live in a country, Puerto Rico, where I am stop and go all the time plus mountain driving. Of course how loaded down the van is and driving habits play a role but I agree that Kia could have done a better job with the 06+ brakes as well. I am not sure if the new models have the same rotors but there is a significant difference in weight.

Nevertheless, I will gladly take on brake pads over the thousands I have saved in purchase price and the extended powertrain warranty. I agree Jim, Kia could have done a better job but think of what you have for the price you paid. Can't have everything...

Just a heads up. Pepboys offers pads now with lifetime warranty and no labor cost if they have to be replaced within a year, otherwise you just pay for labor. When I replaced my pads I went with this deal and kept my cross drilled / slotted rotors. Those do help a lot in brake feel and they are not expensive.
  • kiatech1kiatech1 Member Posts: 4
    It sounds like the drums are out of round.This will cause the shoes shift on the backing plate.Allso have the hardware checked,i have seen the bottom spring
    cause this concern.
    What about the spring? Could it be too loose, too tight, not hooked? Could it have been any of those ways when the car was new? Could the drums have been out of round when the car was brand new? My problems have been going on for 5 years.
  • the_hostthe_host Member Posts: 1
    Need some help here..... Changed front pads on my 2005 Sedona... All was good but whenever i do high speeds (80% of the time) my front brakes seize. Especially the right hand driver side ones.
    Can anyone shed some light on this??

Thanks
  • kiasedona2008kiasedona2008 Member Posts: 2
    My issues with Kia brake rotors captured in this letter to Kia:

Dear Mr. Ahn and Kia America,

I have discussed the above referenced case with [Kia Motors Customer Service rep] without resolution from my view. [Service rep] response to the case was that brakes (rotors) are not a warranty item and Kia Motors will therefore not cover the cost of their replacement.

I agree that [service rep] applied the letter of your warranty. However, I am surprised that your rotors need replacing at approximately 20,000 miles due to warping / hard spots, which may have been the result of Kia Motors or Kia dealer actions. I am also surprised that Kia Motors is only concerned with two possible causes of this warping: caliper defect (which was not the case), and driver misuse. There are additional cited causes for warping rotors that I have found (some research included below): poor quality castings of rotors, and mis-tightening of the lug nuts. We have had our tires rotated at Kia dealers, who could have mis-tightened the lug nuts. Regarding driver misuse, we had a Honda Odyssey (with same driver, driving habits, and mix of local and highway driving) that we drove in steeper terrain and had no brake issues until 60,000 miles.

I am very disappointed that Kia Motors is unwilling to actively consider all the potential reasons for the warping of the rotors on our Sedona, and participate in the expense of the repair, given that fault for either driver misuse or dealer mis-tightening of lug nuts is not possible to prove (that I am aware of). [service rep] spoke with the dealer who was willing to provide a 10% discount on the parts and labor, which I do not believe fully addresses that there is a possibility that the dealer was at fault for mis-tightening the lug nuts, nor does it address the possibility that there as a problem with the castings from Kia Motors

[Service rep] was not willing to look at the research I had done, nor was she informed on the potential causes for rotor warping beyond the information that the dealer had told her. I would expect Kia Motors to have a depth of knowledge on all parts of their vehicle, especially a part as important as the brakes. Service rep was also not willing to have Kia Motors inspect the rotor for material defects beyond the dealer looking at the rotors, which I do not know if that level of visual inspection can determine a problem with the castings.

I request two things from Kia Motors: consideration of all the possible causes for the rotors warping on our Sedona at approximately 20,000; a fair participation in the cost of replacement given the potential causes.

----

[Information from internet research – I would be very pleased to receive copies of research that Kia Motors has available on rotor life and causes for rotor warping]

• Rotor warpage. Variation in the thickness of the rotor or uneven spots on either rotor face will cause the brake pedal to pulsate or shudder when the brakes are applied. Flatness can be checked by placing a straight edge against both faces of the rotor. Thickness must be checked with a micrometer at six or more points around the rotor.

• If parallelism between rotor faces exceeds OEM specs (generally about .0005 in.), or if the rotor is warped or has hard spots (which are often discolored blue or black), the rotor should be resurfaced or replaced. Hard spots that develop from overheating or uneven tightening of lug nuts can create raised areas on the surface that often extend below the surface. The metallurgical changes in the rotor often cause the hard spots to return after a few thousand miles so replacing the rotor may be the best long-term fix.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/car_care_tips/brake_rotors_problems.htm

A brake pedal pulsation or shudder is one of the most common symptoms that indicates rotor trouble. The cause may be too much runout in a rotor and/or variation in the thickness of the rotor. Runout occurs when the rotor wobbles as it rotates. This may be due to runout in the hub, runout in the way the rotor was originally machined, rust or dirt between the rotor and hub, or uneven torquing of the lug nuts that causes distortion in the rotor and hub (which is why lug nuts should always be tightened to specifications with a torque wrench, not an impact gun).

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/Article/703/the_great_rotor_debate__knowing_w- hen_to_resurface_or_replace.aspx

Anybody who works on brakes for a living knows that rotors can cause a lot of brake problems. Uneven rotor wear (which may be due to excessive rotor runout or rotor distortion) often produces variations in thickness that can be felt as pedal pulsations when the brakes are applied. The condition usually worsens as the rotors continue to wear, eventually requiring the rotors to be resurfaced or replaced.
    Rotors can also develop hard spots that contribute to pedal pulsations and variations in thickness. Hard spots may be the result of poor quality castings or from excessive heat that causes changes in the metallurgy of the rotors. A sticky caliper or dragging brake may make the rotor run hot and increase the risk of hard spots forming. Hard spots can often be seen as discolored patches on the face of the rotor. Resurfacing the rotor is only a temporary fix because the hard spot usually extends well below the surface and usually returns as a pedal pulsation within a few thousand miles. That is why most brake experts replace rotors that have developed hard spots.
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf10312.htm

Rotor runout can be caused by several things: variations in manufacturing tolerances, sloppy resurfacing procedures, a buildup of rust and corrosion between the rotor and hub, and uneven torque on the lug nuts.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf110322.htm
  • kiasedona2008kiasedona2008 Member Posts: 2
    My issues with Kia brake rotors captured in this letter to Kia:

Dear Mr. Ahn and Kia America,

I have discussed the above referenced case with [Kia Motors Customer Service rep] without resolution from my view. [Service rep] response to the case was that brakes (rotors) are not a warranty item and Kia Motors will therefore not cover the cost of their replacement.

I agree that [service rep] applied the letter of your warranty. However, I am surprised that your rotors need replacing at approximately 20,000 miles due to warping / hard spots, which may have been the result of Kia Motors or Kia dealer actions. I am also surprised that Kia Motors is only concerned with two possible causes of this warping: caliper defect (which was not the case), and driver misuse. There are additional cited causes for warping rotors that I have found (some research included below): poor quality castings of rotors, and mis-tightening of the lug nuts. We have had our tires rotated at Kia dealers, who could have mis-tightened the lug nuts. Regarding driver misuse, we had a Honda Odyssey (with same driver, driving habits, and mix of local and highway driving) that we drove in steeper terrain and had no brake issues until 60,000 miles.

I am very disappointed that Kia Motors is unwilling to actively consider all the potential reasons for the warping of the rotors on our Sedona, and participate in the expense of the repair, given that fault for either driver misuse or dealer mis-tightening of lug nuts is not possible to prove (that I am aware of). [service rep] spoke with the dealer who was willing to provide a 10% discount on the parts and labor, which I do not believe fully addresses that there is a possibility that the dealer was at fault for mis-tightening the lug nuts, nor does it address the possibility that there as a problem with the castings from Kia Motors

[Service rep] was not willing to look at the research I had done, nor was she informed on the potential causes for rotor warping beyond the information that the dealer had told her. I would expect Kia Motors to have a depth of knowledge on all parts of their vehicle, especially a part as important as the brakes. Service rep was also not willing to have Kia Motors inspect the rotor for material defects beyond the dealer looking at the rotors, which I do not know if that level of visual inspection can determine a problem with the castings.

I request two things from Kia Motors: consideration of all the possible causes for the rotors warping on our Sedona at approximately 20,000; a fair participation in the cost of replacement given the potential causes.

----

[Information from internet research – I would be very pleased to receive copies of research that Kia Motors has available on rotor life and causes for rotor warping]

• Rotor warpage. Variation in the thickness of the rotor or uneven spots on either rotor face will cause the brake pedal to pulsate or shudder when the brakes are applied. Flatness can be checked by placing a straight edge against both faces of the rotor. Thickness must be checked with a micrometer at six or more points around the rotor.

• If parallelism between rotor faces exceeds OEM specs (generally about .0005 in.), or if the rotor is warped or has hard spots (which are often discolored blue or black), the rotor should be resurfaced or replaced. Hard spots that develop from overheating or uneven tightening of lug nuts can create raised areas on the surface that often extend below the surface. The metallurgical changes in the rotor often cause the hard spots to return after a few thousand miles so replacing the rotor may be the best long-term fix.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/car_care_tips/brake_rotors_problems.htm

A brake pedal pulsation or shudder is one of the most common symptoms that indicates rotor trouble. The cause may be too much runout in a rotor and/or variation in the thickness of the rotor. Runout occurs when the rotor wobbles as it rotates. This may be due to runout in the hub, runout in the way the rotor was originally machined, rust or dirt between the rotor and hub, or uneven torquing of the lug nuts that causes distortion in the rotor and hub (which is why lug nuts should always be tightened to specifications with a torque wrench, not an impact gun).

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/Article/703/the_great_rotor_debate__knowing_w- - hen_to_resurface_or_replace.aspx

Anybody who works on brakes for a living knows that rotors can cause a lot of brake problems. Uneven rotor wear (which may be due to excessive rotor runout or rotor distortion) often produces variations in thickness that can be felt as pedal pulsations when the brakes are applied. The condition usually worsens as the rotors continue to wear, eventually requiring the rotors to be resurfaced or replaced.
    Rotors can also develop hard spots that contribute to pedal pulsations and variations in thickness. Hard spots may be the result of poor quality castings or from excessive heat that causes changes in the metallurgy of the rotors. A sticky caliper or dragging brake may make the rotor run hot and increase the risk of hard spots forming. Hard spots can often be seen as discolored patches on the face of the rotor. Resurfacing the rotor is only a temporary fix because the hard spot usually extends well below the surface and usually returns as a pedal pulsation within a few thousand miles. That is why most brake experts replace rotors that have developed hard spots.
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf10312.htm

Rotor runout can be caused by several things: variations in manufacturing tolerances, sloppy resurfacing procedures, a buildup of rust and corrosion between the rotor and hub, and uneven torque on the lug nuts.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf110322.htm
    kiasedona2008 - loved your posting in August - way too informed & technical for Kia though as there was no snappy response from their forum guru, lavishrevo. I have a 2004 Kia Sedona with brake problems that I can't sell or trade in because everyone outside of "Kia world" knows the problem exists and nothing can or will be done about it. Interesting but nothing ever changes......
    GREAT research!! I got the same line of crap about driver misuse, blah blah blah. The issue surfaced at 20k miles and I actually got them to resolve but now at 46k I am on my own. I just purchased new pads from Pep Boys. They installed the ceramic pads and it has only been a few weeks but so far so good...the squealing, pulsing, grinding noises are gone and we have the stopping power back. Worth looking at ceramic pads...I know this is not what I was looking for in an ownership experience!
  • dml550dml550 Member Posts: 3
    AZBakers - PLEASE update us. Has your fix lasted? If so, what exact brand and type of pads did you purchase?

I have been through this whole list and have the same severe pulsating problem on my 2005 Sedona. I do NOT ride my brakes, drive with two feet, or drive agressively. Anyone who claims that's the reason is full of it. And I live in central Ohio, one of the flattest regions in the country. And I have driven probably 200,000 miles in various modern passenger cars and minivans with NO such problems.

I have been to the Kia dealer multiple times, and the ONLY change is that I am now over $1000 poorer. Absolutely no fix, and they will not repair further unless I keep paying them. I do not see how that's legal, so I am exploring my options.

Anyone who found a fix - PLEASE POST IT!!

thanks all,
    dave
    Go to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform site and report them
  • armyvetarmyvet Member Posts: 11
    Dave,

I had a 2007 Sedona and fixed my issue with the drilled cross rotors and pads from R1Concepts. I changed my car into a 2009 Sedona and I changed them directyly from 13.000 just in case and I have been having them for another 13k and doing good. The R1 concepts have very good customer service and as a return customer I got a discount, 450 plus the 150 to change them. I am good, no squealing. :) I am happy with my Sedona.
    Thanks, that helps!
    dave
    Dave,
    OK so now about a month after getting the pads changed and I am still squeal and pulsing free!!!! The whole service from Pep Boys was under $200 and they had to do a little rotor work. It was the ceramic pads, nothing fancy beyond that!

Here is a link to their page...
    Pep Boys Brakes
    Good luck! I would be interested to hear what you end up doing.
    Bryan
    Thanks for updating Bryan, I appreciate that! Not sure yet what we're going to do, the wifey is about out of patience with both the car and the dealer and wants completely out. (I left out a lot of details, but trying to fix these brakes this has been an ordeal. The dealer service dept. is out of ideas but still charging $, and Kia as a company has been less than useless. Utterly unresponsive.) If I get my vote, we're going the Pep Boys route.

Thanks again,
    dave
  • toonces1toonces1 Member Posts: 2
    When pressing the brake pedal in our 2010 Sedona when the vehicle is in Park, Drive or Neutral, a clicking sound is coming from the area under/around the gear shifter. When in Drive, the clicking sound only occurs when the vehicle is stopped or when the vehicle slows to a near stop (i.e. when coming to stop for a traffic signal/stop sign, etc.). The clicking sound does not occur when the vehicle is in Reverse (and the brakes are applied). Has anyone experienced this issue with a Sedona? If so, what was the resolution/cause? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • johnwtilfordjohnwtilford Member Posts: 1
    I'll make one last post regarding warped rotors on our 2005 Sedona - which we just traded in at 94K miles toward a Subaru Forester: We found a replacement rotor that works! BrakePerformance.com Two rotor set (#RS-50014) $175.75 Fifth time replacing rotors finally worked!

No problems what so ever using these rotors. R 1 Concepts rotors were better than the KIA, but still warped after a few months. Brake Performance rotors are guaranteed against warping, and they did not!
  • taxilady7taxilady7 Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: This brake problems seems to a real issue with the 05' an 06'! I am trying to find answers to the 06" I bought used a few months ago! The auto shop has replaced many sets of ceramic disc pads on the front and back and new rotors on front and back. The vehicle only had 70,000 miles when I first purchased it! Now, I have been back many times because the brakes scrape on the front right, and its shaking the whole front right and they can not figure out what is causing the issue! I am so fustrated! I am also having issue with a bad hesitation when you take off and some times it acts like it has no power and I have to keep pressing the gas peddle to get it to go! Any one have any other answers! I see we might have a class action suite with all the problems people are posting on here??? :mad: :sick:
  • taxilady7taxilady7 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06" and the same type of brake problems as the 05" I have been reading about! Replace many sets of ceramic pads, new rotors front and back and I am getting the grinding on the front and the mechanics keep putting dressing and new pads, has sanded the pads down, tryed every thing and still having problems, now I have a shaking on the right front and have not figured out what it is. I wish I had never bought this vehicle. I don't have the money or any other way to get another vehcile right now!
    Anyone have any answers! I need help! :lemon: :sick: :confuse:
  • fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
    for the hesitation use seafoam in the gas.

Brakes- I put on slotted and cross drilled rotors . the only other problen I had was two calibers hang up. Make sure the proper grease on the sliding points on the calibers.
  • kwbellokwbello Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am not sure if you are still out there... but we brought our 2010 sedona to the dealer today for routine maintenance but also to check for a clicking/knocking that we kept hearing everytime we started to slow down to a complete stop. They, of course, said that they didn't hear it... so didn't do anything. Anyone else having the issue still? Thank you! :mad:
  • cornbearcornbear Member Posts: 1
    I had the ceramic pads installed at Pep Boys. 4000+ miles later, I am pleased with the results.
  • pleiadestarpleiadestar Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 Kia Sedona in March of 2011. It is now October 2011. I have over 16,000 miles already. The front brakes have now been changed for the FOURTH time. The rears have been changed twice. Yes I hear clicking/knocking when coming to a halt - I also hear it when sitting at a light with my foot on the brake. Then there's the issue of MUFFLER NOISE. And the fact that my driver's side sliding door keeps sticking - NONE of which is apparent at the dealership. The only thing apparent at the dealership is $300 per brake job. Guess what?? ADVANCE AUTO PARTS now carries 2011 Sedona brake pads! Guess who is doing her own brakes from now on?? You got it!
  • smockbsmockb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Kia Sedona, only Problem I have had is with this clunking noise as described when at stop or slow speed coming from behind the gear shift, If any one has gotten this fixed please advise what they did! I am at 43k miles and break pads still have 40% left, Just had them checked- This clunk is driving me NUTS!
  • kwbellokwbello Member Posts: 2
    We are at about 43K too (we also have a 2010 Kia Sedona) and I posted about this clunking a while ago. It's exactly as you described. We took it to the dealer (where we bought it) but they said they couldn't hear the sound. It is definitely a CLUNK... and that is a perfect word but I also described it as a knocking sound... and it only occurs when I am slowing down or about to move again....at least that is when I notice it the most. It's been happening more and more and it really makes me nuts too!!! Anyone else having this problem?? We can't be the only ones!! :confuse:
  • drknitedrknite Member Posts: 1
    I jsut bought an 1995 acura integra LS and found out that my rotors and pads were completely shocked. The dealer wanted to charge me $500 for all 4 rotors and pads.

I came across areion brakes ....have any of you heard of them?

They shipped me the exact rotors and pads for $212 all in. Have you ever heard of them?

http://www.areionbrakes.com/
  • mgdonmgdon Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I have been a race car driver for 20 years and it seems to me the brakes on my 06 Sedona will start to apply by them selves without touching the brake pedal. After a few miles I will start to feel a vibration like a warped rotor then the vecicle will start to slow down and I need to increase the speed. If I stop the brakes will lock and I need a lot of accelleration to unstick them. Then will get very hot. Sometime on long trip I have to stop and let them cool down and I can smell the hot brake pads. It seems maybe there is something wrong with the ABS or the ESPE causing the brakes to apply by them selves. I have done the usual rotor and pads replacement and lubricated the sliding surfaces with no help. Maybe the solution would be to take the fuse out of the ABS circuit but this may not be a safe solution. I am affraid this problem could cause an accident and should be reported to the DOT or whoever does recalls.