Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL Type S

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    don't forget that it is the norm for a non-flagship model to outsell a flagship.

You are missing the whole point.

RL - flagship for Acura
    GS - non-flagship for Lexus (flagship is LS)
    M - non-flagship for Infiniti (flagship is Q)

However, the RL, GS and M are all in the same segment and comparable (as do the 5er and E-class). The only flagship sedan in this segment is the RL and I think it's pitiful that the flagship from Acura is outsold in it's own segment by bunch of non-flagship competitors.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Since you are insistent on staying w/ this subject, let's look at some more "pitiful" flagships:

Lexus sold 9k units of its flagship.

Infiniti sold a whopping 342 units of its flagship.

BMW 7 + Audi 8 combined do not exceed the market leader in the "flagship" segment of Mercedes selling 61k units.

RL sales suck undoubtedly, but it's not the only flagship whose sales are floundering ;)

Can we get back to talking about the TL-S now?
    Last comment of this topic...

RL vs. the competitors = flagship vs. nonflagships
    LS, Q, 7er, A8 and S-class = flagship vs flagship

If you still can't figured out my point...too bad.
    I got your point just fine thanks. My point however is that every other flagship except the S-class is "pitiful" in sales just like the RL regardless of whether it is an apples to apples comparison or not.

If you can't figure that out- then too bad for you too.

"Last comment of this topic..."

WOOHOO :D
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I understand your point. The RL does not sell well.

What I can't figure is what that has to do with the TL or TL-S? I mean, the last generation RL was even less capable than the current model, but the last TL-S was a huge success.

FWIW, the MDX has been serving as the "flagship" model in the Acura line-up since 2001. There's no rule stating that the best known or highest priced vehicle in the stable must be a four door sedan.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "FWIW, the MDX has been serving as the "flagship" model in the Acura line-up since 2001."

Say what? A rebadged Honda Pilot is the flagship of Acura? Come on, you can't be serious. That would be a pitiful commentary on Acura. And I happen to be a happy owner of a 2005 MDX.

I also believe that the RL is a failure as a "flagship". For whatever reason, Acura thinks they can't go too much over $50k. The RL has always been positioned well below the Infiniti Q and Lexus LS. So our next sedan is likely to be a 550i 6-speed (or equivalent in 3-4+ years) After buying a Honda S2000, TL 6-speed and MDX, Acura has run out of steam to take us to the next level. We don't want a Buick like Lexus ride, nor a funky Infiniti.

Acura is a good company in general, but a terrible underachiever when it comes to building a true flagship. And even with low to mid $40k's pricing on the RL, the $60k+ Lexus beats the crap out of it in sales. Hell, if they didn't limit production BMW could probably sell as many $90k M5's at full MSRP as Acura sells RL's at invoice.

But you are right, this has little to do with the TL-S, so I'll shut up.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    While I don't necessarily agree that the (current) MDX is Acura's flagship, I've always thought the Pilot is a rebadged MDX, not the other way around.

And I've come to the conclusion that the main reason the RL does not sell well is a self-inflicted malady -- the presence of the TL. It is simply difficult to rationalize the $25K + taxes (in Canadian $$) difference between the two for someone walking into an Acura showroom. But if I were a luxury car buyer, and comparing across brands, the RL would be an attractive option compared to the forgetable Infiniti Q, and desireable but expensive $100K+ (again in Canadian $$) Lexus LS, especially in view of the Canadian weather-friendly SH-AWD in the RL.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I vote we move the RL argument to the RL forum and get this back on the TL Type-S track. ;)
    On that note, carconnection.com gave a pretty good review for the TL-S; all except for the FWD platform. The author of the article states that Honda believes 40% of the projected sales for this year (TL's) will be Type-S models. You guys think it will sell that well?
    After the first few months, once any hype fades, dealers will be selling well below MSRP. With that in mind, yes, I think 25-30% is doable.
    "....40% of the projected sales for this year (TL's) will be Type-S models. You guys think it will sell that well?"

No. I believe fewer than 10% of current TL sales are 6-speeds. If the TL-S is going after the "enthusiast" buyer, at a price closer to $40k, I doubt they will get much more than that percentage. Yes, I know, there are bound to be some bipolar buyers who decide get a TL-S, paying $5k extra for extra horsepower on a FWD platform, and then equip it with a slushbox automatic. But as long as Prozac is available, I don't think those buyers will take the sales past 15-20%.

And from what I am reading regarding the new BMW 335i, I think the TL-S is inching into dangerously competitive territory. If one can justify spending an extra $5-6k for a few more horsepower to go from the TL to TL-S, I would be tempted to dig a little deeper in the sofa cushions for another $5k+ and get a seriously impressive sport sedan or coupe.

Still love my 2004 TL 6-speed, but it was a $32k balance of perfomance, luxury and reliability that made great economic sense. It wasn't trying to be more of a sports sedan than a FWD chassis should. The new TLS is, and I think most enthusiast buyers are smart enough to figure that out.
  • dilberticdilbertic Member Posts: 63
    So I own an Audi and yes I love the car, but lets face it most people I know hate the dealers and the repairs along with the Audi/VW everylittle thing breaks gets you just under your skin and pocket book. I took a friend out to look at a bunch of cars, c230, IS250 and the TL, she ended up with the TL

I like the car so much I now want to buy one, EXCEPT NO AWD. I love my AWD, the way it drives and handles and so on, SO if Acura wants to make an S type, I say do it, but add the AWD option, then I would pay the 40k or less hopefully for it :) Just adding more horse power and a rear cam and a few other minor toys doesn't add up to the extra cost. This owuld then really put the car in the ball park with Audi, Lexus and BMW and I wouldn't have to worry about my airbags lights turning on every few years for bad parts.

Dil
    Very true...

I think Acura would put the SH-AWD on the next TL in 08' as an 09' model but don't think it's happening during the MMC though. Without the AWD IMO Acura would have a hard time to convince buyers (most of them would be enthusiasts) to spend an extra 5K on 40+ HP (on a FWD platform), carbon fiber trim, M-wanna-be quad-pipes and those odd looking rims.

I predict the TL-S will consist about 15 to 20 percent of the total TL sale. I am more optimistic than habitat1 because I think there are enough die-hard Acura fans out there would trade in their existing TL just for the quad-pipes and 40 extra horses.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I am not one, currently I own the 2003 TLS(love/hate relationship) and it is sporting a "for sale" in the rear window.

The new TLS is not even on my long list, I am tempted to wait on the new 09 TL but the new Lexus GS350 and Mercedes E350 is knocking hard on my pockets.
    Billy,

The 530i 6-speed is on that list too, I hope. I drove one the other day and, compared to my marketing director's E320 CDI, the handling, steering and responsiveness of the 530i is very impressive. It would be a car high on my list, stupid i-drive notwithstanding.
    A colleague of mine at work recently purchased a 07 550i 6spd and man- talk about pure driving pleasure. That car rocks!

When I am all "grown up" I will be taking a closer look at the 550i. Till then, I am content tooling around in my TL ;)
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    If I was living in Florida or California-yes, but unfortunatley I live in a snowbelt region- so Rear wheelers are not on my list.My next purchase is going to be a fast AWD sedan, I know I am giving up some performance and taking on more weight but I really don't care-I want AWD.
    E350
    GS350
    A6 3.2/4.2
    G35X ?????
    RL
    530XI
    I will post as soon as I foot the bill-maybe next summer or earlier, no rush.
  • allykahnallykahn Member Posts: 2
    I am at a crossroad. I am in the market for a new car and have always been fond of the TL-6spd. I'm not too sure if I really like the TL-S. Granted I do like the changes, except for the wheels, lip spoiler interior lighting, (still on the fence about the red color) and the fact that it is the only way I can get the manual.

I agree with others that the TL-S will not sell many units, especially with the AT. Maybe I'll hold off until spring to see what happens.
    Is an 06 w/ manual tranny not an option for you?
    TL 5AT 33,625
    TL w/ Navigation 5AT 36,125
    TL Type-S 6MT 38,125
    5AT 38,125
    TL Type-S w/ Summer Tires 6MT 38,325
    5AT 38,325

This info was found on hondanews.com.
    Does TL-S only come with Navi?

If that's the case, 38K+ for a navi TL-S is not too bad. Not great (because of the FWD platform) but definitely not bad at well.
    Yes, Navi is std on the TL-S.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    What colors do the 07 TL come in?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey Nick, welcome back! :)
    If Acura decides to go AWD for the TL in 09 IMHO they would not match it with a manual tranny.
    Assuming this is true, the 07 ( & 08 TL-S) might be the last model TL's Acura would be offering with the manual tranny???
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I doubt Acura will drop the manual tranny since alot of people opted for it in the past. ;)

Rocky
    "I doubt Acura will drop the manual tranny since alot of people opted for it in the past."

If that's the case, Honda/Acura better hop into bed with Subaru now and figure out how they're going to marry thier 300+ HP motors with AWD systems and Munual Trans.
    I doubt they need Subaru's expertise to accomplish that task. Subaru has enough problems of their own to worry about. ;)

Rocky
    just quickly thinking..... who else has a 300hp AWD model with a stick shift?

Off the top of my head, and without researching right now, I can't think of any...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Audi

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Porsche

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I hope you are correct- a TL w/ AWD, 300hp+ and a manual tranny would be fun :D
    Lamborghini

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Volvo ..... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

ROTFLMAO, you named all the ones I was going to say. :P

Thanx, for taking care of it for me. ;)

Also Acura RL with a Chip :P Mazdaspeed 6 with a chip. :P EVO :P

I'm sorry for we are picking on you "ggesq" :blush:

Rocky
    Okay ladies... here they are...

One thing I learned today is that the Interior only comes 2 ways for the Type-S, Taupe, or Ebony/Silver... No solid Black, Parchment is not avail in the -S.
    I wanted Black, hopefully, the Black/Silver is nice.
    Why in the heck did they get rid of the beautiful Anthracite color ? That was the color of my former 05' ???? :confuse:

Rocky
    Actually, your picking on "scott" there laughing boy- not me.
  • allykahnallykahn Member Posts: 2
    Volvo V70R (Wagon) and S60R (Sedan)
    Okay, sorry ROTFLMAO :P

Rocky
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    RL does not come with a stick - with or without the chip! ;)
    I noticed this morning that the pic I attached doesn't load very quickly.
    Not sure if the problem is on my end, or in the forum, so here's a link to the pic just in case...

2007 TL Colors
    I was just trying to extend that 290 hp. to over 300 via use of a chip :P

Rocky
    Just out of curiosity, why do people think AWD and manual trannys don't jive?

For the life of me, I can't figure out what the problem would be.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    The carbon bronze pearl is sweet - Honda debuted this color this year on the Accord, and its beautiful (not so much the Accord, but the color). Can't wait to see it on a TL.
    I don't think there would be a problem. I would like to see the TL get RWD/AWD offered w/ a manual tranny. Preferably RWD so all that added extra weight could be left out of the equation.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Well, if the manual tranny goes away, it will happen in Japan before Europe. I think that most of us will be pushing up daisies before the manual transmission is not offered on Euro cars. Go E39!
    The dealer had a RDX in Carbon Bronze Pearl.
    The color is very nice and I think it's going to fit on the TL better than the current Anthracite Metallic, which was one of my favorite TL colors.
    I do find that the Anthracite has the appearance of faded plastic is not maintained though....
    The Carbon Bronze is a welcome additional in my opinion.
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Im trying to bargain with a Salesman for this car with no Navigation. Seems to me that hes not going to go down much off of theMSRP os 34,295$.

Im trying to get him to go down 1700$ but he tells me to come in and we can try and work something out which he mentioned that 1700 seems like too much in my own words.

Whi is it when a new 07 comes out they wont bargain much but when it comes to september they want to sell you the TL for 30,000$?
    Being the Type-S thread, I don't understand

The 07 TL Type-S comes with standard with Nav... so you won't be able to save any money ordering one without
This discussion has been closed.